" 'New Movement' " ?

" 'New Movement' " ?

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

There are a couple places that mention a “new movement” type being introduced into GW2. In the event homepage, it hints at “amazing movement skills” (“https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/july-09-2013/”). While in an interview with A-net, they spoke of “experiencing movement in a new way” (“http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1183-bazaar-of-the-four-winds/”).

I’m not sure exactly what to expect, or how far this will go. Maybe it’s just a thing in a mini-game? Or maybe they are introducing a new movement to some skills? Who knows. If it is something like the later, it will be interesting to see where this goes — lol, unintentional pun.

NSPride <3

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Well, there have been ideas that IF flying (mounted or otherwise) was ever introduced, it would probably limited to specific maps, and that the Dominion of the Winds or any subsection thereof was an obvious candidate…

Also: “Lessons from the Sky”

Speculation level is over 9000! … but anyway, that’s my take, mostly because I can’t think of anything else right now.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Pavees.7281

Pavees.7281

I’d rather they implement a new slot dedicated to speed increases over mounts. guild wars as always been bout the feel of movement by foot and waypoint. mounts would throw a wrench into the system but that’s just my opinion.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I’m not advocating mounts, just citing where I think I read the discussion about flying.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Axxo.7430

Axxo.7430

I just want to see characters in the screen, no mounts please. Hate it.

Axxo “The Hex Guardian” – SoS

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

So you guys are thinking that ANet is pulling an Aion in the next patch? They could certainly do it and just limit it to a specific location. However, it would be really awkward.

Maybe they’re adding crouch to the game. There are several applications for crouch.

• When falling, pressing the crouch key right before hitting the ground will reduce falling damage by a certain percent and also prevent falling flat on your face
  • Let’s you take cover behind certain low height objects so you get extra protection from projectile attacks
  • Moving when crouched could potentially allow you to sneak past certain monsters when they would otherwise aggro on you if you got too close

" 'New Movement' " ?

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Maybe they’re adding crouch to the game. There are several applications for crouch.

• When falling, pressing the crouch key right before hitting the ground will reduce falling damage by a certain percent and also prevent falling flat on your face
  • Let’s you take cover behind certain low height objects so you get extra protection from projectile attacks
  • Moving when crouched could potentially allow you to sneak past certain monsters when they would otherwise aggro on you if you got too close

I’d be down for that.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Katlyntje.7962

Katlyntje.7962

I’d be down for that.

LOL! I see what you did there XD

I like both ideas really, it will be interesting to see what they’re planning.

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. BOOM!

Primary: Gizzmologist Saikka – Asura Engineer

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Draghmar.2594

Draghmar.2594

I would rather vote for this mini-cart game that will be available on that flying ship.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: jgrzar.3468

jgrzar.3468

More varied dance moves?

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

From the way they describe it, it seems like they mean there’s going to be rail driven movement in this new race thing they’re putting in.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

@rizzo that would be amazing, getting on a steam train throughout tyria or something?

Would be jokes, I hope they implement something like that. But the bugs man, the bugs..

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Has never really worked properly in any computer game because death is not permanent, and so simply banzai storming the position means the stormer is a moving target while the one behind the cover is a stationary target.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

We’re gonna do the conga,
norn up front in a tanga,
next three asura in a toga,
a charr drinking sangria,
two ooooooooo quaggan …

So many options!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hopefully this means mounts are finally coming to GW2. I don’t mean mounts that provide a movement speed bonus, I just mean something to ride on and collect and show off.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Forget mounts! I would KILL for a Wind Waker -style Deku Leaf.
(It would break so many maps though.)

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

They could also just be talking about the new minigame, Sanctum Sprint. After all, it is all about movement.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

My guess was that it’d be a possible permanent movement boost based on achievements (/map completion/title/something) for certain areas.

Heck if it was tied to a title (similar to EotN’s titles) we’d have a reason to display one over another (one gives a speed boost, another a damage boost, etc.)

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Pavees.7281

Pavees.7281

My guess was that it’d be a possible permanent movement boost based on achievements (/map completion/title/something) for certain areas.

Heck if it was tied to a title (similar to EotN’s titles) we’d have a reason to display one over another (one gives a speed boost, another a damage boost, etc.)

I’d rather the eotn type titles not be brought to the table again. It only brings needless micromanaging for 5 seconds per area instead of being worthwhile.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Wallace MacBix.2089

I’d rather the eotn type titles not be brought to the table again. It only brings needless micromanaging for 5 seconds per area instead of being worthwhile.

Hmm while true, I meant more of the feel of them (I just like the idea of titles having some practical use) and have them be world wide but you choose the bonus. You can either have +5% speed everywhere or +5% attack everywhere for example. (Edit: You are right though, that still causes extra micromanagement)But I don’t think either will be the case.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/new-account-achievement-rewards-incoming/

“Permanent account bonuses—permanent boosts to Magic Find, experience from kills, karma gain, and more. Earn achievement points on any character and get rewards for all of your characters.”

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Ok, so going thru all the movements our character can do (left, right, fwd, back, jump swim, fall, etc.) there is one movement we currently cannot do.

Burrow

Yup, we’ll burrow like the Dredge and the Wurms. lol

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Like with the toy Tunneller?

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

Just tossing in my two cents, I honestly would only see this being part of the mini game. It just seems like there would be so much in the way of balance issues if they dramatically change the way movement works.

Hoopa doopa.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Wallace MacBix.2089

Just tossing in my two cents, I honestly would only see this being part of the mini game. It just seems like there would be so much in the way of balance issues if they dramatically change the way movement works.

Why I don’t want to fly (unless manning some sort of blimp mini game thing), I don’t see how it would be much different than swimming. I’m fine with it just being part of the mini game, I just personally don’t want a mount or the ability to fly (especially since travel is already really simple).

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

It’s gonna be Mario-kart style racing. (Apparently)

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

A minigame involving flying Tengu samurai.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

I really hope there is no flying movement introduced there has been numerous tittles where it just hasnt worked well, and players end up completing and ignoring even more content, unless of course they make the sky’s a very dangerous place to be travelling, hell if i had an MMO i would include flying but it would be hella dangerous.

mini games are my vote too, btw.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Maybe they’ll put in something like what was used in Secret of Mana.

No, not the dragon, the OTHER method of travel. A JP where it doesn’t matter how well you can jump, just how well you can AIM.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Anything involving flying will do it for me. I wouldn’t mind the crouching either for sneaking past most enemies especially in Orr

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Camaro Charr.2805

Camaro Charr.2805

God please no mounts, especially not flying ones…

RE- Red Essence
Dragonband

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: uri.6521

uri.6521

What about “sprinting”, another way to spend endurance?
Maibe this increase speed by 50% but consumes endurance at about 25% per second?

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

It’s gonna be Mario-kart style racing. (Apparently)

Racing moas in LA? Psshhhhh… We’re gonna ride them now! xD

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

So you guys are thinking that ANet is pulling an Aion in the next patch? They could certainly do it and just limit it to a specific location. However, it would be really awkward.

I hope you realize that a well-timed dodge roll when you land will prevent the falling on face.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

Maibe this increase speed by 50% but consumes endurance at about 25% per second?

oh I wish

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

That could tie in to performing power slides. Which would look awesome in this supposed racing minigame coming up.

NSPride <3

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: ESKan.6782

ESKan.6782

Flying would be amazing. They already showed that they can do z-axis movement in Underwater combat.

Still, we’d need new weapons/weapon skills to accommodate to it. I somehow doubt they’re going to implement something that large.

[PD] – Far Shiverpeaks.
Nameless Inversion/Ascension/Evasion/Ruination/Impression/Perdition/Compassion/Tactician
Guild Wars 2 will be an amazing game when it’s finished. Compare Prophecies to EotN!

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Mateking.9564

Mateking.9564

If it is Flying I feel it should be with big kitten airships that would fit in with the lore. They all the time show off those nice zeppelins but they are never moving such a shame. But this would probably be to big for just one living story part. More like a whole expansion introducing another layer to tyria containing flying islands(Maguuma Jungle) it would be so fun to have that. Every Guild could have an own ship and battle Aetherblades or Inquest or Dragons(duuuhh).
Exploring the flying Islands searching for treasure.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

My guess is that it’ll be some sort of minigame with vehicles.
So it’ll probably be limited to an activity, and not usable outside of it.
And maybe a toy like the Broom you can use to look as if you were using on of those vehicles in PvE.

I’d rather they implement a new slot dedicated to speed increases over mounts. guild wars as always been bout the feel of movement by foot and waypoint. mounts would throw a wrench into the system but that’s just my opinion.

They should put at the bottom of the trait panel 3 trait slots for “out of combat” movement traits in PvE and some could also work in WvW.

50% less fall damage, -25% extra less fall damage, +25% movement speed, +10% extra speed when swimming, longer jumps, make the evade button cause a ‘double jump’ while in mid-jump, +1.33% movement speed for each enemy killed since last time you entered the zone or got downed while out of combat (max 33%), 10 seconds of +50% movement speed after each dodge, etc.

Nothing related to combat, only movement. That won’t stack with effect froms traits and skills, and that will have proper caps, so you can’t have 25% in signet and 25% in out-of-combat movement trait of have more than speed than intended (max 33% from stacked effects. Max 50% from a single effect) .
As long as you are in PvE and out of combat, they will work, once in combat they won’t. And only a few would work in WvW even while out of combat.

And switching them, unlike the attribute traits, would be free.

That’ll be nice, as it’ll allow people in to bring more variety in utility and traits without affecting combat.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

When they talked about movement I thought it was going to be in the new mini game.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Mounts? Seeing people approving this is so contradictory… oh well.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

" 'New Movement' " ?

AlietteFaye.7316

How is it contradictory?

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

How is it contradictory?

Well, back then I approved it because mounts are a cool feature IMO, but people yelled “lore does not allow, and will make waypoints useless!!!11 LEAVE THEM MOUNTS OUT OF THE GAME! Mounts? Ain’t nobody got time fo’ that!” and such…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

How is it contradictory?

Well, back then I approved it because mounts are a cool feature IMO, but people yelled “lore does not allow, and will make waypoints useless!!!11 LEAVE THEM MOUNTS OUT OF THE GAME! Mounts? Ain’t nobody got time fo’ that!” and such…

M uch lag
O bstructs view of other players
U nappealing to GW players
N ot going to happen
T oo big
S kip over DE’s

" 'New Movement' " ?

AlietteFaye.7316

How is it contradictory?

M uch lag
N ot going to happen
T oo big
S kip over DE’s

Why do you think mounts would automatically mean that players can go faster than the current speed of Swiftness? I really wish people would stop pretending that plenty of people don’t take Swiftness or a Signet for speed to run in the open world. They already skip DEs to get to where they need to go, and it isn’t like that many people are actually playing in the open world anyways.

Obstructs players view? Sure, Charr and Norn already don’t do that to Asura, right?

As for making WPs useless, I think that’s a bit backwards. WPs make mounts useless.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

Lets see, flying would be no more than a pointless visual gimmick, unless it allows you to increase your speed or elevation to a point that would otherwise be impossible to achieve by running. This however, would destroy many JPs and vistas, and make walking obsolete. Moreover, it would give the game a strange feel, completely changing the mechanics, and destroying GW2 as we know it.

Crouch seems like it would be a relatively useful skill, especially in boss fights, and it has been successfully implemented in many other games.

And as for mounts, I honestly don’t see why so many people hate them. Progressively, if it were not for beast of burden, the wheel would never have been invented, as we see in native american culture, and without the wheel, we as a race would never have progressed passed tribesmen. This being said, GW2 does have beast of burden, so why wouldn’t someone come to the conclusion, ‘Oh, I can ride these! It will make traveling so much simpler.’

What really would the negative affects be; destroying character visibility? As someone else stated, there are a great many factors doing that already, chiefly among them, the characters themselves. To keep a level of difficulty to the game, the beast could be limited by terrain, such as horses not being able to rock climb, its only logical and still allows(forces) players to do the JPs and vistas as they should. They could also be banned from the dungeons, and for as simple a reason as not being able to fit through the door way. As for making WPs obsolete, that is a meek point, as lets be honest, who would rather ride a mount that is slightly faster than running, through dangerous vast mapping, when they could instantly jump there instead?

Yes, I know horses don’t exist in GW2, that was simply an example.

(edited by Mia Lunarfang.5826)

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

I find truly curious how many people are against mounts…. Only to equip a speed signet/swiftness ability/ on their bar as soon as they move from combat.

Dudes, It’s the same thing.

I’d rather have a dedicated ‘Mount’ slot, or an OoC gadget, or a reusable transformation/potion, rather than lying myself into equipping a given skill only to get the speed benefit, just to replace it as soon as I smell combat.

Also, remember than in GW1 are precedents of mounts… Like the Junundu or the Siege devourer….

In GW2 we already have the flying broom and the Sonic tunneler. And if you ask me, IMO, it’s only a matter of time that we get an alike gadget that confers permanent swiftness while equipped.

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Insyder.3871

Insyder.3871

Gliding! I wish. I miss gliding from Aion so much. I don’t know how it would work in GW2 though as we don’t have wings. I was so used to gliding in Aion that sometimes in real life I wanted to leap from high grounds and glide and then realizing I don’t have wings made me sad :S

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

How is it contradictory?

M uch lag
N ot going to happen
T oo big
S kip over DE’s

Why do you think mounts would automatically mean that players can go faster than the current speed of Swiftness? I really wish people would stop pretending that plenty of people don’t take Swiftness or a Signet for speed to run in the open world. They *already skip DEs to get to where they need to go, and it isn’t like that many people are actually playing in the open world anyways.*

Obstructs players view? Sure, Charr and Norn already don’t do that to Asura, right?

As for making WPs useless, I think that’s a bit backwards. WPs make mounts useless.

I don’t mind cosmetic mounts similar to the ones already in the game with TEMP SWIFTNESS. But not permanent swiftness for mounts.

People do play the open world. Move to a more populated server if you don’t believe me.

WP’s don’t skip content! Because WP’s save time for players to play more content.

Everyone knows that mounts start simple in other games, but then get bigger and more elaborate. Mounted players are always in front blocking NPC’s, cordoors, roads.

Charr, Norn players are already too big! So why compound the problem with tall or fat mounts.

If Anet wants mounts? Make them small cosmetic ones like the ones already in the game! Just Add temp swiftness+signets equipped.

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

" 'New Movement' " ?

Posted by: Krikr.2094

Krikr.2094

It would be great if they added low to the ground mechanical steam-punk-like-mounts. Things like bikes, scooters, carts, or asuran tech hover boards. All instead of doing the the standard mmo style mount, the one that just changes your avatar and makes your walking speed faster, and instead making actual vehicles. Faster mounts could be difficult to turn, easy to turn mounts (like hover boards) would have really slow movement bonuses if any. Also bumping into solid terrain could cause you to"crash" and take damage. That way we could just add a new way to get around, instead of making any existing method inferior.

(edited by Krikr.2094)

" 'New Movement' " ?

AlietteFaye.7316

I don’t mind cosmetic mounts similar to the ones already in the game with TEMP SWIFTNESS. But not permanent swiftness for mounts.

People do play the open world. Move to a more populated server if you don’t believe me.

WP’s don’t skip content! Because WP’s save time for players to play more content.

Everyone knows that mounts start simple in other games, but then get bigger and more elaborate. Mounted players are always in front blocking NPC’s, cordoors, roads.

Charr, Norn players are already too big! So why compound the problem with tall or fat mounts.

If Anet wants mounts? Make them small cosmetic ones like the ones already in the game! Just Add temp swiftness+signets equipped.

Why only temporary swiftness? Loads of classes can easily access permanent swiftness, and a lot of classes also have 25% movement speed signets. Making the speed temporary seems kind of pointless in that regard.

WPs do make people skip content. They don’t walk all the way to Arah and do any of the DEs along the way, they skip straight to WP at the dungeon and go in. How is that not skipping?

It wouldn’t be hard for them to allow mounts in the open world and not in cities.

Refer to the above solution.

Agreed that they should just add small mounts that aren’t ridiculous. Ground mounts only, of course.

It would be great if they added low to the ground mechanical steam-punk-like-mounts. Things like bikes, scooters, carts, or asuran tech hover boards. All instead of doing the the standard mmo style mount, the one that just changes your avatar and makes your walking speed faster, and instead making actual vehicles. Faster mounts could be difficult to turn, easy to turn mounts (like hover boards) would have really slow movement bonuses if any. Also bumping into solid terrain could cause you to"crash" and take damage. That way we could just add a new way to get around, instead of making any existing method inferior.

I am not sure what “standard mmo” you have been playing, but I would say that most MMOs have mounts in the style you’re describing.. (Where you ride them, not just transform into them.)

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

(edited by AlietteFaye.7316)