Obsidian Sanctum Campers at Kite [Merged]

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

lol @ tarnished coast

these 3 tried ganking my warrior at the top of obsidian sanctum

keep in mind these were all actually level 80s, one was a thief, engineer, and warrior and they got solod (at the same time) by 1 warrior

Also, just a tip, but you just have to get near the kite. speccing for some surviability to just run close to it will get you the achievement.

Attachments:

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

The OP’s post actually makes me like what this new content did to the game. here is a fight that would otherwise not take place that is happening because of content. If you step into WvW or like it at all, this is the EXACT reason you do it. You do it for fights like this.

You do it to camp choke points and gank players who have no interest in fighting back?

I’ll never understand why humans find this fun.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

And they wonder why not more people play pvp.

Posted by: Wayshuba.5912

Wayshuba.5912

Last week, when we had the Aetherblade Chest, Ehrmy Bay was with Yak’s Bend and Kaineng. While I went after the chest alone, I ended up in a group of 5 Yak’s Bend doing along the thin ruined walls. Not a single YBer attacked me, nor did I attack them. Later, near the end, I ran into another group of 5 YBers. Again, not a single one attacked.

I guess it has to do with the makeup of players. EB has always respected YB as a server and players (some of our best battles are against YB). Apparently, YB is the same. My exposure in OS has been one of respect in players trying to get the puzzle done. Interesting to note that there are some servers who do not respect players.

Many have to remember that with the exception of World Completion and OS jumping puzzles, may players are just PvE. Perhaps we should show some respect so we could perhaps convince some PvE players to give PvP a try.

Envy.1679

Last week, when we had the Aetherblade Chest, Ehrmy Bay was with Yak’s Bend and Kaineng. While I went after the chest alone, I ended up in a group of 5 Yak’s Bend doing along the thin ruined walls. Not a single YBer attacked me, nor did I attack them. Later, near the end, I ran into another group of 5 YBers. Again, not a single one attacked.

I guess it has to do with the makeup of players. EB has always respected YB as a server and players (some of our best battles are against YB). Apparently, YB is the same. My exposure in OS has been one of respect in players trying to get the puzzle done. Interesting to note that there are some servers who do not respect players.

Many have to remember that with the exception of World Completion and OS jumping puzzles, may players are just PvE. Perhaps we should show some respect so we could perhaps convince some PvE players to give PvP a try.

A server does not make up one player though. theres plenty of players on every server whod rather push you off the ledge and see you die than politely let you get across

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

This kite is ridiculous. There were 3 of us from Dragonbrand going up and working together to get the kite and when we made it up to the top we were ganked by 3 people from Tarnished Coast. We were all killed and then they proceeded to jump on our corpses and do other insulting things to us. I decided to wait for someone from Dragonbrand to come by to give me a res, but when someone made it the campers just killed them too. They have been camping there for over an hour now and show no sign of leaving. People just have NO HOPE of completing this meta event when there are campers at the kite… At least just for this event, for one week, everyone should be friendly at this JP. This is ridiculous. I completed what I was supposed to complete and I am literally within feet of the kite, but because someone decided to be a jerk I don’t get to get my Gift of Crystal Quartz? I have 14/16 achievements and am thinking that this is going to be impossible because of campers.

Good, I hope they made your day because when I tried to get there I was ganked no less than three times by Dragonbrand, with at least three camping the end. The beauty of the kites is that unlike the Aetherboxes you don’t have to interact with it in any way. I was able to power through the Dragonbrand lines and got close enough to the kite to get the achievements before they killed me.

And do you know what? That’s how it’s supposed to go down, cause it’s WvW. I didn’t complain the first three times I was taken out before even getting that far. I shrugged and logged and tried again later.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

lol @ tarnished coast

keep in mind these were all actually level 80s, one was a thief, engineer, and warrior and they got solod (at the same time) by 1 warrior

Funny, I do not know any of these guilds, and I’m always in WvW. They are probably just trolls giving us a bad name. Thanks for killing them.

Also, it goes both ways. I too had problems with DB camping the kite, and killed them with my upleveled warrior.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Envy.1679

lol @ tarnished coast

Funny, I do not know any of these guilds, and I’m always in WvW. They are probably just trolls giving us a bad name. Thanks for killing them.

Also, it goes both ways. I too had problems with DB camping the kite, and killed them with my upleveled warrior.

they were just genuinely bad.

the warrior even tried using his vengeance to try to res the dead (not downed) engineer

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you can’t get the kite, you can’t get it. Simple as that. This isn’t a freebie. You gotta work for it.

I sincerely hope no one tells you this when you really need something you don’t have in real life.

I suspect Randroids and people with the same kind of mentality actually have a lower propensity to thrive in a healthy society.

There is a BIG difference between NEEDING something and WANTING something. Our entire world would be a LOT healthier if more people understood this.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

It seems EB doesnt have access to the JP for a long time now, at least everytime i checked, TC or DB controlling the keeps. so i feel a little fortunate at not having gone through this horror. best to be deterred from the start than having made all the effort and denied at the end.

A little on Wayshuba’s post, I would say that yes a lot of my fellow EB do respect the ‘truce’ of the JP, as far as i observed when i used to run it everyday to get ports for ppl.. I dare say that you can never be 100% with any server on this but most of the time I see we do not bother people from other servers doing the JP as long as they don’t bother us. Well my entire guild generally have this policy as well in the jp.

Now as far as the matter at hand, the discussion is being going back and forth since people started doing this JP just for the badges. the JP is a natural chokepoint that can be a serious, serious obstacle for those trying to get through it against people already holding it. While I GENERALLY AGREE to sentiments like having to adapt to situations, that achievements need work getting it, challenge is good, or even that is a PvP area, I am just wondering why can’t just be a little bit more compassionate to others. Most people that want to get it, myself included though i havent made any attempts, are generally PvE oriented people. We are not PvP skilled and would normally never even harm players in other servers that much. Some of us are also just not natural talented for jumping puzzles, it took me months and months to just get.. averagely adequate in skill for most puzzles. So against the challenge of jumps, we are faced with people more skilled generally in PvP, who happen to occupy the most advantageous ground of the battlefield.

So i dunno, by principle i agree that pvp is and should be allowed in a pvp area and we getting into pvp areas should be aware of what we are going into but at the same time, is it so hard to just cut some slack on this a little? Must it eventually come down to each of us in the end trying to ruin each others day. I know for a fact you can fight others in a pvp setting without ruining the other’s day.

Also, i chose these kite achivements because lag ruins enjoyment in the “assisted” jumps and mechanics of the new area and minigame (not american or european), dont like or generally bad at the drinking game mechanics, so leaving achievements related to those out the kites are our best choice for the bulk of the 16 achievements.

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

I can understand the frustration that some people get from this achievement. But really, is it so bad? The harder something is to get too, the more satisfaction you get from actually ACHIEVING that very thing.

Yes it is. I fail to see how constantly getting ganked by a superior number of players is supposed to challenge my skills? What exactly can I do to avoid that death when the jumping puzzle specifically forces you into spots that are easy to camp? Do tell me.

People speak about “challenge” and “difficulty” as if getting repeatedly killed by a group of enemies was some sort of challenge. The only real challenge in that puzzle is jumping. That is something you can control. It would also be challenging if it was 1 vs 1 PvP.

Compare this to Sanctum sprint. I enjoy it a lot even though the best spot I’ve held so far is third. It challenges me and is difficult but it’s fun. As are all PvP activities in general since they often equalize the playground by providing a) small areas, b) specific set of skills, c) teams or at least a situation where it’s one vs one or everyone vs everyone. Challenging but fun.

No amount of skill is going to let me avoid wandering gangs of enemies in obsidian sanctum sepcifically because there are spots which can be camped and which force you out of invisibility. 10 vs 1 is not challenging. It’s borderline griefing. This from a player who started with MUDs so people better not speak to me about “players these days” because I’ve played games longer than most and always thought that mindless ganking is far from challenging or fun.

Well yes I agree with you of course. And please don’t get me wrong, I can completely understand it and I would also be frustrated if I’m in a situation where my world is completely outnumbered and I’m even unable to try the JP.
This still doesn’t take away the fact it would make me even more glad to finally get it :P

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

It is absolutely intended that you can fight people in the JP. The fact that so many people are piling into the map to get the achievement is good for any and all of you who are capable of laying the smack down on them, and, if they manage to fight back is hopefully going to encourage some of them to stick around and play WvW. If you don’t want to get killed by other players, don’t play WvW. Plain and simple. The achievement isn’t required for getting the meta-achievement on purpose.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Griefing-WvW-JPs/page/2

read dev statement and stop complaining

get a group of 10-15 players if you really only want the achievement..
cant be too hard to find 15 players if soooooo many people complain then there have to be soooooo many people that would group up with you

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Wayshuba.5912

It is absolutely intended that you can fight people in the JP. The fact that so many people are piling into the map to get the achievement is good for any and all of you who are capable of laying the smack down on them, and, if they manage to fight back is hopefully going to encourage some of them to stick around and play WvW. If you don’t want to get killed by other players, don’t play WvW. Plain and simple. The achievement isn’t required for getting the meta-achievement on purpose.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Griefing-WvW-JPs/page/2

read dev statement and stop complaining

cant be too hard to find 15 players if soooooo many people complain then there have to be soooooo many people that would group up with you

Yeah. Read the dev statement. Great when you run internal servers without lag. I personally have a powerful PC with a great broadband connection, but I have heard many players complain of lag when I haven’t experienced it. I feel bad for those that have to deal with the technical issues in addition.

I would say there are probably far, far more players who respect the unspoken truce of OS than there are that do not. So that alone should say something about the dev being a bit off in what most players think. Running a jumping puzzle is bad enough, doing it while battling is another (and yes, I am aware of the traps intentionally placed in OS for PvP, but I rarely have seen people use them).

Posted by: BlueSoda.6297

BlueSoda.6297

To the OP: I don’t believe you need to get that achievement to complete the meta to get your “Gift of Crystal Quartz”. I got mine, and I never did that one.

But also that is a tough situation you have there with the campers, good luck and keep at it!

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

they were just genuinely bad.

the warrior even tried using his vengeance to try to res the dead (not downed) engineer

LOL I wish I had seen that.
I’m not saying they are giving us a bad name because they were killed by you, I’m saying they are giving us a bad name because they are camping the JP, and that’s something that we always tell our fellow Toaster not to do. Some people just won’t listen, and that’s a shame.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

ALSO WHAT THE FLYING kitten. I just finally managed to get through the dark room past all these campers and it decided to kittening throw me away from obsidian sanctum because of some balance kitten…

This after hours of trying to get there… kitten this.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

It’s amazing the length that some players go to to cause grief. Oh, so you don’t want to participate in PvP for a PvE achievement? Then use the stealth fountains silly! Too bad those are all camped as well.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

I just do not know why it would be so fun just to roam in a group of 5 or so and maul single players trying to complete the puzzle. Especially when they do not even fight back. What thrill is that anyways? To me show some honor and intregrity and if it looks like someone is just trying to complete the puzzle and nothing else, let them go. There are plenty of others that want to fight.

Envy.1679

I just do not know why it would be so fun just to roam in a group of 5 or so and maul single players trying to complete the puzzle. Especially when they do not even fight back. What thrill is that anyways? To me show some honor and intregrity and if it looks like someone is just trying to complete the puzzle and nothing else, let them go. There are plenty of others that want to fight.

they have fun because youre mad. making you mad is why its fun for them. when people complain about this it only fuels their erections.

Posted by: Rage Tiger.4019

Rage Tiger.4019

Every server does the JP camping. I lay odds everyone had attacked another player, even by accident in there as well. I do feel that it is a low-blow tactic to camp in a spot where another player cannot defend themselves, like the well. It is a PvP zone, so one has to accept it. I don’t even want to count the number of times Fort Aspenwood did the high road camping near the end of the JP near that dome, just to keep the mesmer from porting people up there.

Guess I’m one of the few from TC that tries to not PvP in there.

Posted by: halcyonzephyr.5628

halcyonzephyr.5628

I wasn’t trying to bash anyone from TC; that wasn’t my intention by creating this thread. I was hoping that there would be some other people that were frustrated by the campers in the Obsidian Sanctum so that we could possibly get the instance turned into a non-pvp zone (at least until the end of this release).

I am almost a strict PvE player, so I hate doing anything that has to do with PvP. I made the mistake of getting all the other kites before checking out that this one was in a PvP zone, but I tried to get it anyways since it was the last one I had to collect. I got my 16/16 achievements and I am no longer planning on getting this achievement, which is really disappointing since I put in all the work and and so close to getting it.

To those of you saying that I just want things handed to me because I am lazy and didn’t put in the work for the achievement don’t understand what happened. I finished the JP… I made it to the top. I am within feet of the kite. I put in the work but was denied my reward. How would you all feel if you worked for a week and then the company sent out the paycheck to the wrong address and refused to pay you?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There are many games with PvP servers. Ganking, killing players of a much lower level and killing opposition quest givers are among the things that take place on such servers. There are even occasional bouts between players who are evenly matched. Or so I’ve heard.

There are players who play GW2 who have asked for PvP servers. I wonder if there is any connection between that phenomenon and what this thread is about?

Posted by: halcyonzephyr.5628

halcyonzephyr.5628

Then keep the PvE and PvP elements separate. For people who don’t like PvP, like myself, we shouldn’t have to put up with people being trolls when we just want to complete the JP to get the kite.

It is true that this starts more fights between players and gets them into the PvP world, and I am sure that this is fun for some people that enjoy PvP. However, people who dislike killing other players really suffer in a case like this.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

GW2 was designed to eliminate griefing to the greatest degree possible. sPvP and WvW have managed to provide competitive play that has very few opportunities for griefing as well.

This World vs. Kite achievment is entirely designed to foster and reward griefing.

This is just another sign that 2013 ANet is not the same studio that built this incredible game. Pre-launch ANet would never have thought that content designed to encourage griefing was ok and most certainly would never link an achievement to it.

It seems like the devs who are themselves greifers by nature are gaining more and more sway with in the studio. They grief players with content when they can and are now finding ways to return player vs. player greifing to the game.

Sad developments for the game…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

A server does not make up one player though. theres plenty of players on every server whod rather push you off the ledge and see you die than politely let you get across

I have even seen some players that were trying to use “surprise swiftness midjump” effect to make people from their own servers fail.
Great PvPing there.

There is a BIG difference between NEEDING something and WANTING something. Our entire world would be a LOT healthier if more people understood this.

Well, it certainly would look much different, since most of the things we strive for we do not actually need. Also, it would be healther if there weren’t people that take great pains to ensure that other people do not get what they like (and do it not because they need to, but only because they like it).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

To those of you saying that I just want things handed to me because I am lazy and didn’t put in the work for the achievement don’t understand what happened. I finished the JP… I made it to the top. I am within feet of the kite. I put in the work but was denied my reward. How would you all feel if you worked for a week and then the company sent out the paycheck to the wrong address and refused to pay you?

what dont you understand about this being optional? you’re making the choice of going into a pvp zone to get a pvp achievement.

if you almost made it to the kite then got killed just before, then you didn’t make it to the kite. a suitable analogy would be if you wanted to solo a dungeon boss, but the boss killed you when it had 1% health. who do you blame? the developers? no, you blame yourself for screwing up and not dodging correctly. no one is forcing you to do something you dont want to do. no one is forcing you to solo a dungeon boss.

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I do understand its frustrating for people who care but for a lazy don’t-really-care player like myself i have no complaints HAHA

But as a lazy easy-going player I’d just like to say that, isn’t this the essence of the achievement? Why would Anet place it in wvw jp if it wasn’t for this thrill/frustration/danger/risk of doing it in the first place?

I think this is the point, and i’m sure if you go back at another day maybe at a different time like early morning or by luck no one would be there. Anet made it so you dont need this exact achievement but if you were up for a challenge, or if you wanted to round up your own team to be safe then by all means.

I think we shouldn’t go with the “entitlement” thing either. it is intended to be a little harder than usual and require some effort but it’s not impossible

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

I have to say, this run into the JP was nicer than last time. Last time I went at around 1-2am CST and while I didn’t get attacked the other servers did spring traps which annoyed/delayed me, then later after I got the cache/chest I got ganked. Nothing really awful or to get upset about, just another day in OS, I would have rather not done that again just because I hate the puzzle.

Then early this morning at about 7am CST I found a group of 5 people doing the puzzle and I tagged along and helped with swiftness buffs and such. It was completely devoid of anyone except us and one SoS guy who we left alone. It went much smoother because without traps and accidentally hitting other servers’ people and making you slow down, I could actually jump. So it was good.

That being said, even if my experiences haven’t been bad, I still don’t approve of putting these things in the puzzle since I have a feeling most people who go there are PvE bunnies and already wouldn’t touch WvW with a ten-foot-pole, I would think this would only serve to deter them from that area of the game and leave them with a bad taste in their mouth. But what do I know, if bringing life to OS was the goal then they certainly reached it.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I really enjoy WvW but I hate the Obsidian Sanctum, all the more so when you get packs of players camping the choke-points. There are a couple of people in my guild who are very reluctant to try WvW because they think it’s all like that accursed jumping puzzle.

That’s a really good point too. I never got Rage-quit mad in WvW, not even once… until one day I tried the JP there. heheh… WvW itself is kinda … a little boring, definitely repetitive, & often uneventful (except for the few rare times you get 2 small elite teams of equal numbers fighting over a really important tower or camp). The JP’s there do not reflect that in any way and should really be redesigned to truly convey the structure of WvW better. They’re interesting as far as JP’s go I guess, when there’s no opposition, but they’re just NOT built to handle proper PvP tactics.

Posted by: Evo Sapien.5298

Evo Sapien.5298

Truces in this area are amazing things, then one guy breaks it thinking hes awesome or red means dead, and then your whole server and the other server cant be trusted and the threat must be removed.

You WILL be punished for how your server acts in the Puzzle. Assuming you have been ganked because they are being kitten means that you are probably missing the story where they took 3 hours getting to the kite while being ganked by your guys.

Not that it’s an issue I never have a problem getting to the kite/chest. My mesmer is built for durability speed and survival, and uses all the mystic fountains. One does not simply take any old build/gear into Obsi Sanctum anymore than you would pvp, dungeons or fractals. And i know every shortcut tip and trick. The dark room takes seconds if you know how to do it right. Make sure you know all you can.

On that topic about the JP. I think i speak for many people (not all, maybe not even most) but I wont start with you if you dont start with me and you BETTER kitten well be able to finish me if you start something because i will NEVER stop coming after you. And you will NEVER get that kite, if its the last thing i do.

I will pull, knockback, stun. I will call reinforcements and I will die over and over to hinder you everyway i can. But thats only if you start something. How much is one loot bag worth to you? how much is two? Is it worth more than the kite? Thats all you get. If your having problems in the jumping puzzle there is no WAY you can outrun me, and i know every hiding spot.

Try Bowing to an opponent, Or saluting. Try being non threatening. Dont spam skills near them or use ANY ability on the ground that could hurt them in anyway.
And youd be surprised how many people are ok.
If you do get ganked. Dont just get kitten ed and give up or go for revenge. Party with them. Ask them to let you just get the kite and you wont bother anyone. If there kittens youll find out shortly. But youll have have a face and a voice and many people with be more eager to let you pass. Maybe you could suggest some 1v1 afterwards for fun, if they really want to kill things. Maybe ask them why they are ganking and from their point of view who started it.

(edited by Evo Sapien.5298)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I have seen groups of up to 30 and 40 people get wiped by a small group of camping players at the arena. There were probably only about 10 up there holding the spot, and fearing and pulling everyone down who made it near the top…. and not many were able to get even that close, because due to in-combat + lag, some jumps become impossible.

These choke points are severely imbalanced. There need to be other options to deal with camping players. And the cloak should not wear off if you’re hit by other players.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Wayshuba.5912

Although, I would like to see what the devs have to say to this:

Green is Crystal Desert (owning all but one camp in Eternal Battlegrounds), Red is Borlis Pass and Blue (of which none are on the map) is Ehrmy Bay.

I can understand the view on fighting on the puzzle – when you can even get to it in the first place.

These type of maps show how some servers just can zerg out the WvW. Some servers are more focused on WvW guilds and this is the result you get. In addition, sending PvE players there just clogs the queue for real WvW players.

And before devs respond with “you don’t have to go there to get the 16 achievements” remember that you just added achievement rewards which makes all achievement points valuable now.

Attachments:

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

And before devs respond with “you don’t have to go there to get the 16 achievements” remember that you just added achievement rewards which makes all achievement points valuable now.

So, according to you, ANet is forever prohibited from putting anything valuable in the Obsidian Sanctum.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

So, according to you, ANet is forever prohibited from putting anything valuable in the Obsidian Sanctum.

No, but they have a responsibility to ensure that all servers have an equal chance of at least getting into the zone to try and get them. If this stuff was perminant it wouldn’t be a problem, but it’s not. When you only have a handful of weeks to do it and you spend an entirety of one of them without even being able to access the zone, that’s not alright.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

There will always be people claiming it is just -pvp- and tough cookie. However you will always find that those people are ALWAYS without a shadow of a doubt the ones doing the camping of these areas or in other games corpse camping someone for HOURS. Which at that point it goes beyond just -pvp- and into trolling/griefing a player.

If they really wanted so called -pvp- they’d be out there in WvWvW zones fighting for camps, castles, and keeps. Maybe even some spvp tournaments or a custom arena but instead they stay there farming people to death until someone keeps killing them so they are forced to leave or something in real life pulls their sweaty hands away from the keyboard. They do not want pvp even they claim so.

Also I was there on day 1 of the puzzle and when EB got it’s first keep again to go inside. TC left everyone else alone till they got to the cages and then turned on them. They started the event that kept DB and EB from the kites for hours. I left my dead character there and went about doing other things while checking in from time to time. They kept at it for a very over the top amount of time.

I got what I wanted already now but really the puzzle does need multiple paths for one to reach the top or at the very least a few levers in places down below that help clear the top of choke points with flames, spikes, etc. It would also be nice if they stopped placing every bloody thing at the stinking end of it or how about some of the other jumping puzzles in the other zones! Which are always neglected! I’m getting a little tired of going in every event to the same thing. Oh… and an fyi? When EB dominates and others come in to get something like a kite? WE LET THEM for the most part.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

lol @ tarnished coast

Also, just a tip, but you just have to get near the kite. speccing for some surviability to just run close to it will get you the achievement.

Dammit, that’s impressive. Warrior isn’t usually very good 1vX because it’s difficult to sustain a fight due to lack of teleports, stealth, pets and whatnot. Could you perhaps share your build (3 signets? What you done there seems almost impossible…), I’ve been looking for a decent small scale WvW spec for my warrior.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

Posted by: Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

@ OP
I agree that something needs to be done. Though I think it is Anet that is at blame for allowing this. I have had the same problem with Miller’s Sound, in particular a guild with the HI tag, that seem to often have players their just to grief others. Complete gits. It is a good thing communication is muted in WvW, as I likely would have been banned for colourful language.
Having said that, I guess I can’t blame them for being annoying, as it is a PvP zone. In the end I came on at a various different times, and finally got through. Anyway, I feel your pain

Northlander.4619

The issue here is that they placed it into spot where

a) people have normally very little reason to go in groups
b) few people are able to defend against large number of people
c) terrain makes it already difficult to navigate because it’s a JP
d) a single jerk can negate a lot of your progress by pushing/killing you from superior position

Add the fact that this is part of a larger achievement where six of seven achievements are PvE only and it’s asking for trouble. Sure it’s ok if you have an entire PvP guild to back you up so you can overwhelm the campers but if you go in solo you are pretty much killed on sight. If they wanted to provide a good WvW experience they would have placed to kite into the stonemist castle or some temporary neutral capture location because they are in the area where real WvW happens. You would have had your world’s whole WvW population to assist you and camping would have been almost impossible. Unlike in Obsidian Sanctum.

Then again I doubt they really thought that much about this. I’m pretty sure the current situation won’t promote interest in WvW. At least for me it killed what little interest I had in it. Like I said they could have placed it into area where WvW actually normally happens and is fair and can be even fun.

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

Wow, another thread whining about this.

It’s interesting to see how some people act about the WvW Sanctum Kite…compared to the Sanctum Sprint. One group has people that actively prevent people from getting an achievement, while the other has people that try to help others get the achievement/title.

Actually, that’s what ends up ruining a lot of these mini-games. All the people coming in, colluding to get the easy achievements, and yelling at anyone that comes in and tries to actually play it as intended. (I actually liked Crab Toss, but could hardly ever get a “real” game in, because everyone just stood in a circle handing the crab off to each other.)

I really don’t get the mentality where someone just wants to grind a ton of achievements without any effort, challenge, or even doing the content as intended. Is it really that satisfying to have everything basically just be ProgressQuest? (Google that if you don’t get the reference!)

I dunno. It’s like no one wants to actually “achieve” anything to get achievement points. Strikes me as odd. I guess MMO players really do hate fun.

Also: How is it that so many of us just go in solo and get it done easily (indeed, do it every day, for that matter), while others sit here on the boards insisting that it’s 100% totally impossible and no one can ever do it, not in a million years, no way no how, totally impossible for anyone to do.

I dunno. Seems like the attitude I talked about above just paralyzes people once there’s actually something to do that takes a little more effort than hitting a Dragon Pinata 500 times.

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

(edited by Bovinity.8610)

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

It’s more like: The company you work for has a group of hired goons standing guard over the accounting office, and if you want your paycheck you need to fight/sneak past them to get paid. It’s your choice to work for such a company.

I don’t agree with people camping the puzzle, but I realize I can’t control the behavior of every player in a public game. The larger a server’s population, the larger it’s population of jerks, but overall I find TC to be a decent bunch.

The achievement is in no way required. I wanted to complete the Mad King’s Clocktower, for instance, but I was unable to, due to a combination of my hardware and the difficulty. Players being able to attack is part of the difficulty of this particular jumping puzzle, just as the timed jumps were part of the difficulty of Mad King’s Clocktower.

Just think of this puzzle as a difficult instance with varied AI and spawns. Bring a team. If you wouldn’t try to solo Arah or Fractals, don’t go solo into Obsidian Sanctum.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Also: How is it that so many of us just go in solo and get it done easily (indeed, do it every day, for that matter), while others sit here on the boards insisting that it’s 100% totally impossible and no one can ever do it, not in a million years, no way no how, totally impossible for anyone to do.

• different server match-ups
  • different time of day
  • limited time to play coinciding with prime time for campers
  • sense of urgency fostered by limited-time achievements

All of the above can contribute to a sense that the task will not get completed in the time available. It’s not possible to generalize everyone’s experience from your own because there are too many variables affecting the situation.

Not to say that people on forums don’t couch their complaints to sound as bad as possible.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Do it with a thief character, then if necessary you can stealth your way past them. That was my strategy but it turned out I didn’t even need to do that as all it took was /wave and we all just went on our happy ways.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

-snip-

There’s a major difference between fair challenge, and difficulty from poor design. Many spots in the OS make it so that if the campers are decent, you need to vastly outnumber them to get through. Not to mention that not everyone has access to the puzzle to begin with.

The effect is such that for the majority of players, they don’t have the option of “getting through the challenge”, and instead have to continually check back at the puzzle to see if there’s no campers, or the campers happen to be from their server currently.

If there were alternate routes and actual strategies to deal with campers that didn’t rely on them not knowing what they’re doing, you’d see much fewer complaints.

Posted by: Naranek.3467

Naranek.3467

If you can’t get the kite, you can’t get it. Simple as that. This isn’t a freebie. You gotta work for it.

I sincerely hope no one tells you this when you really need something you don’t have in real life.

I suspect Randroids and people with the same kind of mentality actually have a lower propensity to thrive in a healthy society.

I agree with his statement. People today are too entitled. A lot of them remind me of spoiled children. Today’s motto seems to be: If at first you don’t succeed, whine about it until someone makes it easier for you.

Ah, no. This is not entitlement, that would be the people demanding that they get the reward without any effort. This is completely different. This is a legitimate complaint about selfish trolls who are out to ruin other people’s fun just because they can.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Truces in this area are amazing things, then one guy breaks it thinking hes awesome or red means dead, and then your whole server and the other server cant be trusted and the threat must be removed.

You WILL be punished for how your server acts in the Puzzle. Assuming you have been ganked because they are being kitten means that you are probably missing the story where they took 3 hours getting to the kite while being ganked by your guys.

Not that it’s an issue I never have a problem getting to the kite/chest. My mesmer is built for durability speed and survival, and uses all the mystic fountains. One does not simply take any old build/gear into Obsi Sanctum anymore than you would pvp, dungeons or fractals. And i know every shortcut tip and trick. The dark room takes seconds if you know how to do it right. Make sure you know all you can.

On that topic about the JP. I think i speak for many people (not all, maybe not even most) but I wont start with you if you dont start with me and you BETTER kitten well be able to finish me if you start something because i will NEVER stop coming after you. And you will NEVER get that kite, if its the last thing i do.

I will pull, knockback, stun. I will call reinforcements and I will die over and over to hinder you everyway i can. But thats only if you start something. How much is one loot bag worth to you? how much is two? Is it worth more than the kite? Thats all you get. If your having problems in the jumping puzzle there is no WAY you can outrun me, and i know every hiding spot.

Try Bowing to an opponent, Or saluting. Try being non threatening. Dont spam skills near them or use ANY ability on the ground that could hurt them in anyway.
And youd be surprised how many people are ok.
If you do get ganked. Dont just get kitten ed and give up or go for revenge. Party with them. Ask them to let you just get the kite and you wont bother anyone. If there kittens youll find out shortly. But youll have have a face and a voice and many people with be more eager to let you pass. Maybe you could suggest some 1v1 afterwards for fun, if they really want to kill things. Maybe ask them why they are ganking and from their point of view who started it.

well said. likes ur post

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Anet is bound and determined to force people to do things they don’t want to do. If you want the legendary weapons you have to do every aspect of the game to get it. I don’t agree with that but that’s the way it is. If you want the living story stuff you better be willing to explore other aspects of the game to get it too. There will never be enough to just do one aspect of the game to finish and of these big goals. Although the WvW for me is boring I don’t mind doing it as much as PvP or instance dungeons. I was quite disappointed they were giving out WvW tokens like candy in the achievement boxes. Why not let you pick your token reward for these rewards. Then you could get the reward you needed.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Because some people play on times when no one else is on, or they happen to be facing friendly opposition. While others have opposition like the nice people from Miller’s Sound, who camp at choke points all day for easy kills, and make platforming impossible.

You have to realize that some of the jumps are impossible while in-combat. And these guys make sure that everyone stays in-combat. Also, stealth doesn’t work, because you decloak if you get hit by damage. These guys just spam attacks on platforms that everyone must pass, to make sure you decloak.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Northlander.4619

Ok. Let’s give this a try. There’s currently a large group of jade sea campers past the dark room and on the rocky area. Could some Crystal Desert PvP guild come and kill them? They have multiple mesmers and a lot of KB skills so bring stability. I’m a bit tired of constantly getting gangraped so close to the kite.

Edit: thanks for everyone who helped to get the kite.

(edited by Northlander.4619)

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

One of these days I’m going to go to the ArenaNet development office with a group of people and keep shutting the doors on the devs. See how they like it.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Oh look. Another thread full of kitten PvErs who would rather have their “achievements” mailed to them directly when the event starts.

One – Piken Square