Chaos Weapons Need More Love

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I really like the concept of glowing white weapons which would especially fit guardians with radiant skins (yes, I like unrealistic glowy stuff!), but I can’t help but say that the models look unrefined.

The meshes almost feel like these are starter white (no pun intended) weapons with simple glow over them. They do not feel ethereal or refined, they lack that texture which things like Ley Line skins or Jade skins had and made them good, or that detailing of Fused or Mistforged weapons, or uniqueness of Dreamthistle ones. I was personally excited to get a white hammer skin for my guardian because I didn’t want to wait till another WvW tournament, but after seeing it I decided it lacked polygons and looked small and uninspiring.

So, I would like to know if the community feels like it as well, and maybe we can get ANet to refine the promising Chaos skins a bit to make them closer to being perfect

20 level 80s and counting.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

I like them how they are. I just wish they were dyeable like they were in gw1, that would make them amazing.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Never.8571

Never.8571

I’m glad I’m not the only one that finds them a bit.. uninspired. They just look like some of the existing meshes, with no detail, and some white noise coming from them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Some of them are just krytan weapon reskins….

Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

I haven’t seen them yet in-game but I have one huge question about this “GW1 weapons”…

CAN WE DYE THEM ANET???

That was one of the coolest things about the Chaos Axe, changing it to great colors like red o green, is it going to be forever white???

I’ll pass on this if that’s the case.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Cheap reskins, probably took 10 hour to create for the whole set lol.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I wholly agree.

I may get the axe (eventually), but even that skin is quite disappointing.

Against Altering Existing Skins
As some players may prefer these models to more stylized and inspired models, I do not think these (or anything) should be changed after being released (e.g. human female running animation). Ideally they should release a Variations of Chaos set that involves more inspired models with the same chaos effects.

Another Solution – Dyeable Weapons; Dyes with Effects
They could also work toward releasing an item that we can use that applies the Chaos effects to our existing weapons so we can have the model we desire with the Chaos effects on them (i.e. weapon dying that also sees the release of dyes that add specific effects to weapons, such as Chaos effects).

I have been waiting for their designers to step up their inspiration toward something more like these (attached image) weapons. They are fully capable of making such detailed and styled models and effects for weapons (and armors), they just choose not to for whatever reason(s).

So far they have fallen far short in providing very many thoughtfully designed sets. They have released some elements of sets that look inspired, detailed and finished, yet other pieces of the same set look rushed, generic, thrown together last minute and released unfinished.

There is also the issue of sets being released that lack all underwater weapon pieces entirely. I applaud them for at least making the effort to include the generic models of underwater weapons with the chaos effects in this set. It’s a small step, but at least it shows that they seemingly intend to properly include all weapons in their weapon skin sets.

ANet can have such amazing weapons (and armors) with inspired design details and effects that they have shown they are capable of and have at their disposal, yet these unimaginative, uninspired, generic and half-hearted designs are what they keep pumping out.

Please, ANet, utilize your designing abilities and talents to their full extent and release such designs we know you are fully capable of producing.

Attachments:

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I love these new weapons! Especially because they look subtle and elegant. I usually rrreally dislike the stuff with lots of glow, since usually they also involve weird shapes and sparkles (such as the Molten weapons) but these ones are brilliant! Glad that I saved my tickets, definitely picking up something for my Guardian.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I want one of these, but I also agree that they are very lacking in craftsmanship. Alas, ticket stays in my pocket. The ley line weapons are exquisite, but not my style.

I don’t think using the shader from the achievement armor skins takes anywhere near the effort of almost any of the previous ticket weapons… And this is a field which I have teaching experience in.

Stinvec, those are some nice skin designs.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

With two weapon skin lotteries being released so close to each other, and one of them apparently lacking in quality (assuming what you guys say is true) it could be possible ArenaNet is desperate to get numbers up. Is there an investors’ call around the corner?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sailsd.9245

Sailsd.9245

I love these new weapons! Especially because they look subtle and elegant. I usually rrreally dislike the stuff with lots of glow, since usually they also involve weird shapes and sparkles (such as the Molten weapons) but these ones are brilliant! Glad that I saved my tickets, definitely picking up something for my Guardian.

I concur. These are the first ever – even if some basis’ are recycled – weapons in the shop which are simply elegantly designed. I like them!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Some of them are just krytan weapon reskins….

Luckily I love the Krytan weapon skins!

The Chaos Sword that I just bought looks similiar in design to the Krytan one (which I think is a very good thing), but is quite different!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

I wholly agree.

I may get the axe (eventually), but even that skin is quite disappointing.

Against Altering Existing Skins
As some players may prefer these models to more stylized and inspired models, I do not think these (or anything) should be changed after being released (e.g. human female running animation). Ideally they should release a Variations of Chaos set that involves more inspired models with the same chaos effects.

Another Solution – Dyeable Weapons; Dyes with Effects
They could also work toward releasing an item that we can use that applies the Chaos effects to our existing weapons so we can have the model we desire with the Chaos effects on them (i.e. weapon dying that also sees the release of dyes that add specific effects to weapons, such as Chaos effects).

I have been waiting for their designers to step up their inspiration toward something more like these (attached image) weapons. They are fully capable of making such detailed and styled models and effects for weapons (and armors), they just choose not to for whatever reason(s).

So far they have fallen far short in providing very many thoughtfully designed sets. They have released some elements of sets that look inspired, detailed and finished, yet other pieces of the same set look rushed, generic, thrown together last minute and released unfinished.

There is also the issue of sets being released that lack all underwater weapon pieces entirely. I applaud them for at least making the effort to include the generic models of underwater weapons with the chaos effects in this set. It’s a small step, but at least it shows that they seemingly intend to properly include all weapons in their weapon skin sets.

ANet can have such amazing weapons (and armors) with inspired design details and effects that they have shown they are capable of and have at their disposal, yet these unimaginative, uninspired, generic and half-hearted designs are what they keep pumping out.

Please, ANet, utilize your designing abilities and talents to their full extent and release such designs we know you are fully capable of producing.

Now those are skins people would buy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I love the special effects of the chaos weapons themselves, but I agree in the sense that the models/shapes/forms of them are just wayyy too plain and simple.

Personally, I think the spear in particular would look EPIC if it used the same model as the voltaic spear from GW1, but had the glow effect from these new chaos weapons. Now THAT combination would be amazing.

Edit: Just did some photoshopping. Excuse the mistakes in it, but this is just a general idea:

Attachments:

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I love these new weapons! Especially because they look subtle and elegant.

I think you and I have very different definitions of ‘subtle’.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Apparently people at reddit and Dulfy make similar statements.

I love these new weapons! Especially because they look subtle and elegant.

I think you and I have very different definitions of ‘subtle’.

Agreed. There are some elegant skins in the game, but these just look bland. Simple generic shapes may look good if they have something exquisite drawn on them, but when you hide it in global glow, simple shapes just stand out too much.

20 level 80s and counting.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The chaos weapons are about as subtle as a desss made out of super bright LEDs.

On a scale from zero to LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, they are a solid 115, claiming the all-time #1 spot in attention-seeking (sorry, legendary greatswords).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

^ look at meeeee pretty much sums it up,

I like them, go figure.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

When i first heared something aboute “white” weapons i hoped for something like
the mistforged weapons .. but those are just much too bright and the models are
also a little boring.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ventusthunder.5067

ventusthunder.5067

They’re just… white. I saw the axe and was excited… but the staff and scepter just look like a super white telephone pole. I’ll pass on pretty much all of them, maybe the mace since this game is lacking in good mace skins.

collector of liquid aurillium

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

I think they could be improved (though I don’t expect it to happen). My thoughts:

- Instead of looking like weapons made of pure light or energy (like the Chaos Axe from GW1) you can often see the base model.
- A major factor in the appeal of chaos gloves and axes in GW1 is that they were dyeable. These are not
- The base models are not always original and while they shouldn’t be complex, they can be a bit more in line with the aesthetic of the original Chaos Axe.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

They’re just… white. I saw the axe and was excited… but the staff and scepter just look like a super white telephone pole. I’ll pass on pretty much all of them, maybe the mace since this game is lacking in good mace skins.

Amen! Why, Mistforged Mace!? Why couldn’t you have been the good looking mace my guardian has been waiting for!?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Personally, the Chaos line is my favorite weapon skin set so far. I like how it’s simple yet elegant. I wouldn’t be opposed if it gets more love but I’m satisfied with how they are now.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Here’s my 1,000,000 lumen sword, fear me. Thank the devs they didn’t add lens flair to the game or we would all be blinded by their brilliance.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I’m very curious to see what other skins you consider subtle and elegant.

Those are the last words I’d use to describe a brighter then the sun tent pole.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaag.6538

Gaag.6538

so nobody things the original idea from GW1 was fine the way it was?
there is like , no detail, u can tell its an axe for the shape (duh) and thats it, nothing else needed, the GW2 chaos weapons set is overdoing it imo, and dont get me started with the glowing animation.

Attachments:

(edited by Gaag.6538)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Celestina.2894

there is like , no detail, u can tell its an axe for the shape (duh) and thats it, nothing else needed, the GW2 chaos weapons set is overdoing it imo, and dont get me started with the glowing animation.

Tbh I was never fond of the chaos axe in GW1 either >_>

But at least you could dye it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I like the GW1 version more. It’s like holding a lightning bolt that you can’t see the actually axe you are holding, but you are indeed holding a form of energy in axe shape.

(edited by Afya.5842)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Seriously? These are the classiest particle effect weapons we’ve had to dare. The fact that they aren’t tacky unwieldy shapes is what makes them so great. I for one don’t care if they are reskins over level 1 starter weapons, because frankly the starter weapons are more tasteful than most of the rest of the weapons in game. And wow, the dagger actually looks sharp, unlike most of the thick rambo knives in game.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Black Lion Trading Co

Leo Paul.1659

Seriously? These are the classiest particle effect weapons we’ve had to dare. The fact that they aren’t tacky unwieldy shapes is what makes them so great. I for one don’t care if they are reskins over level 1 starter weapons, because frankly the starter weapons are more tasteful than most of the rest of the weapons in game. And wow, the dagger actually looks sharp, unlike most of the thick rambo knives in game.

This. Nailed the word I was looking for – classy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AzureShiron.7658

AzureShiron.7658

the skin was basic and ugly in the first game, not really sure why they chose that skin set to bring back

If you think this post is about you, it probably is

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

the skin was basic and ugly in the first game, not really sure why they chose that skin set to bring back

That’s why it’s good that they add so many different sets to the game: something for everyone.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

I don’t know about you guys with your weird contemplation that these skins are way better than their legendary counterparts(I seriously disregarded the comments on greatswords), but all I have to say is that the design and form of the chaos skins is just not unique in their shape, but not in their effects. But everyone is different, and people are more willing to just pay attention to the effects of the weapon, and disregard the shape of it overall; take for example, people who buy skins like Vision of the Mists, and weapons similar as such. I for one think the chaos staff looks alright, but the tormented staff suits my liking better, but I like the ley line staff better than the tormented one because of all the effects it has. Likewise, I hate the chaos greatsword, and hate the ley line greatsword, but I like the tormented one, and also the phoenix one. The list can go on. Though I will say this, I like the chaos weapons over the silly/feminist looking legendaries as well. ^^

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

… feminist? I think that word does not mean what you think it means.

Not being a GW1 person, I have no emotional attachment to the Chaos line of weapons. Nor do I feel any great need to own any of them. The effect is nice, at least when you can see the little blue striations and smeary ripples shimmering off the weapon, but the overall impression is of a bloom overload smashed onto a very crude mass produced item for most of the choices.

Yes, I am in the pro-realistic-weapons camp. I still want elegant ones. Maybe it’s just that I know how grimy the textures are on the sword and spear under the bloom, but there’s a lack of grace to them for me.

But I’m glad they made a line of realistically proportioned weapons that excite a lot of the playerbase.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Celestina.2894

Though I will say this, I like the chaos weapons over the silly/feminist looking legendaries as well. ^^

The kitten?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

[…] silly/feminist looking legendaries as well. ^^

I’m trying to think of what word you could have possibly confused with feminist but am drawing a blank. Help me out here, this is going to haunt me until the end of days.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

He intended to say “feminine” and make a sexist remark, but failed.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Leo Paul.1659

I don’t know about you guys with your weird contemplation that these skins are way better than their legendary counterparts(I seriously disregarded the comments on greatswords), but all I have to say is that the design and form of the chaos skins is just not unique in their shape, but not in their effects. But everyone is different, and people are more willing to just pay attention to the effects of the weapon, and disregard the shape of it overall; take for example, people who buy skins like Vision of the Mists, and weapons similar as such. I for one think the chaos staff looks alright, but the tormented staff suits my liking better, but I like the ley line staff better than the tormented one because of all the effects it has. Likewise, I hate the chaos greatsword, and hate the ley line greatsword, but I like the tormented one, and also the phoenix one. The list can go on. Though I will say this, I like the chaos weapons over the silly/feminist looking legendaries as well. ^^

What’s silly about being feminine?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The only skins Anet has ever changed is tweaking a few Legendary weapons. Highly (VERY highly) unlikely.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Feels like Anet just tried to capitalize on GW1 nostalgia. With the right base models (if you aren’t going to have a lot of detail on the texture then the shape underneath needs to be interesting) I’d have been excited about ‘em, but as it is, I’m passing. They lack the etherealness of the GW1 chaos axe, which was (imo) its charm.

The Zodiac weapons — while I actually liked the GW1 ones better — felt like some love and attention went into them. Chaos weapons don’t.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

(edited by Rainshine.5493)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AzureShiron.7658

AzureShiron.7658

The chaos axe was the only chaos weapon in the first game, literally it was a glowing blob in the shape of an axe that you could dye, the heck are they going to do to expand on that?

If you think this post is about you, it probably is

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

The chaos axe was the only chaos weapon in the first game, literally it was a glowing blob in the shape of an axe that you could dye, the heck are they going to do to expand on that?

Well the chaos axe in GW1 looked like it was made of lightsaber with no handle. These chaos weapons imo look like a solid something that just glows really friggin brightly.

I liked the GW1 better because it looked like pure energy. The GW2 ones could be improved by adding texture like you can see with the Radiant stuff. Yeah, the radiant stuff glows super bright, but if you look closely there’s still detailing.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaag.6538

Gaag.6538

The chaos axe was the only chaos weapon in the first game, literally it was a glowing blob in the shape of an axe that you could dye,

-yeah it was awesome

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

I just find them boring. They reduce your character to giant white, glowing blobs which I guess some people like, but I don’t see the point in customization when you can barely even see a character behind all the particle effects. In my opinion the last good BL skin set was Zodiac (the rifle is one of my favorite skins in the game and I wish that I had more excuses to use it). Lovestruck also had potential but they botched it with the heart motif and the grey color.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

They’re not to my tastes, but I’m sure there are people who love their look. Let these people be happy with the Chaos weapons; there will be more choices again down the line.