Do our content then whip out your credit card

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I didn’t know that Anet employees could pay bills or buy groceries with in game gold. Who knew.

Unfortunately, there are some who don’t understand how the in-game system works. Because they perceive Gold to have “value”, they incorrectly assume that you can now use this “value” to pay employee salaries, overhead, dividends, etc. At this point, here’s how they see the system:

A = Gold (a virtual currency)
B = Real money (self explanatory)

A = B

Of course this thinking is completely inaccurate.

Just because you misunderstand the concept of economic value, and continue repeating it, doesn’t make it so.

in game gold has economic value. Anet sells it, Anet makes a profit from it’s sale. Anet makes Money from selling gold exactly as Gold sellers make money selling gold.

It seems because they sell you gems for your cash, and then you use gems to buy gold, that you believe falsely that you have not payed real cash for gold.

It is because you have paid Anet real world cash for their in game gold that they sold to you, that they can pay their employees salaries.

yes, Anet buying and selling gold gives in game gold value, which can be then used to pay salaries, and wages, and profits used to disburse to stockholders… just like any other Gold seller makes money from selling Anet’s in game gold against the TOS, Anet also makes Money from selling Gold, except they do it by first selling you gems, which you then use to buy gold.

It seems you still have a hard time understanding this. I hope that you understand it better.

/sigh

I really thought you’d understand the concepts we’ve been explaining all these pages. Anet doesn’t sell Gold. Anet sells Gems. Once in your possession, these Gems have no monetary value. And just because you can exchange Gems for Gold, that doesn’t mean Gold has monetary value as well. They have “personal value”.

And by the way, you cannot take an illegal activity such as selling Gold for real money, and then use such an example to support your arguments.

Edit – I forgot to remind you that when a player exchanges their Gold → Gems, they are not paying anyone’s salary. The huge flaw here is that you believe Gold = real money. In the real world, that applies fine, as Gold is precious metal that acts as a buffer to inflation. In the game, Anet doesn’t make a single penny when a player exchanges Gold → Gems. I repeated it twice here so you understand it’s importance. Paying customers like me who makes microtransaction sales is what drives the current revenue stream for NCSoft.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I didn’t know that Anet employees could pay bills or buy groceries with in game gold. Who knew.

Unfortunately, there are some who don’t understand how the in-game system works. Because they perceive Gold to have “value”, they incorrectly assume that you can now use this “value” to pay employee salaries, overhead, dividends, etc. At this point, here’s how they see the system:

A = B

Just because you misunderstand the concept of economic value, and continue repeating it, doesn’t make it so.

in game gold has economic value. Anet sells it, Anet makes a profit from it’s sale. Anet makes Money from selling gold exactly as Gold sellers make money selling gold.

It seems because they sell you gems for your cash, and then you use gems to buy gold, that you believe falsely that you have not payed real cash for gold.

It is because you have paid Anet real world cash for their in game gold that they sold to you, that they can pay their employees salaries.

yes, Anet buying and selling gold gives in game gold value, which can be then used to pay salaries, and wages, and profits used to disburse to stockholders… just like any other Gold seller makes money from selling Anet’s in game gold against the TOS, Anet also makes Money from selling Gold, except they do it by first selling you gems, which you then use to buy gold.

It seems you still have a hard time understanding this. I hope that you understand it better.

/sigh

I really thought you’d understand the concepts we’ve been explaining all these pages. Anet doesn’t sell Gold. Anet sells Gems. Once in your possession, these Gems have no monetary value. And just because you can exchange Gems for Gold, that doesn’t mean Gold has monetary value as well. They have “personal value”.

Sorry, but you are still wrong. Just because you buy gems, that you then use to exchange for Gold, does Not mean you have not bought gold from Anet.

When you buy Gems, you are not buying gems, you are using a currency that Anet accepts for store credit. One of the items you buy with the gems is gold. If there was absolutely NO Gold or any virtual products or services that you could exchange for gems, no one would buy gems. NO one is BUYING Gems. People only buy gems as a medium of exchange.
Of there were nothing to purchase with gems, No one would buy gems. They are using their cash to buy gems so they can use the gems to buy gold.

They are using cash to buy gold.

And by the way, you cannot take an illegal activity such as selling Gold for real money, and then use such an example to support your arguments.

I’m not using an illegal activity to support my arguments I am using a legal activity. Buying Gold from Anet for cash.

The fact that you do not recognize the transaction because it is transpiring with Gems In between, doesn’r mean the transaction is Not transpiring.

Anet sells gold for cash, that is One way it pays it’s employees. So in game gold has real world value.

$1.25 USD = 9 g 85 s.

Edit – I forgot to remind you that when a player exchanges their Gold -> Gems, they are not paying anyone’s salary. The huge flaw here is that you believe Gold = real money. In the real world, that applies fine, as Gold is precious metal that acts as a buffer to inflation. In the game, Anet doesn’t make a single penny when a player exchanges Gold -> Gems. I repeated it twice here so you understand it’s importance. Paying customers like me who makes microtransaction sales is what drives the current revenue stream for NCSoft.

Just going to say you are wrong. I have explained it often enough.

PS: I read it when you said it the first time, I do not agree with yoiu, because you are wrong. So you can say it twice, three times, four times, and five. The Number of times you repeat something wrong, doesn’t make it right.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

PS: I read it when you said it the first time, I do not agree with yoiu, because you are wrong. So you can say it twice, three times, four times, and five. The Number of times you repeat something wrong, doesn’t make it right.

The long and short of it is that you are failing to recognize that ArenaNet only makes real world money when a person buys gems. What a person does with those gems after they purchase them is irrelevant to that fact. If I convert my gems into gold, ArenaNet does not make any additional real world money. If you then trade your gold for some of the gems I just put into the exchange, ArenaNet still does not make any additional real world money.

Only buying gems gives ArenaNet real world money.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nerelith.7360

The long and short of it is that you are failing to recognize that ArenaNet only makes real world money when a person buys gems. What a person does with those gems after they purchase them is irrelevant to that fact. If I convert my gems into gold, ArenaNet does not make any additional real world money. If you then trade your gold for some of the gems I just put into the exchange, ArenaNet still does not make any additional real world money.

Only buying gems gives ArenaNet real world money.

Not true. I disagree. In game Gold has real world value, since Anet makes a profit in buying and selling in game gold.

They buy it from playwers that have acquired it through in game play, and pay them with gems. They then turn around and sell the gold to players that bought the gems with cash.

This is a profitable stream for Anet. They value the gold sold to them because they can then turn around and sell this Gold to players that purchase gems with cash, that then turn around and buy the gold from anet for the gems they bought with cash.

If A = B, and B= C, then A=C.

If $1.25 = 100 gems, and 100 gems = 9g 85 silver,m then $1.25 = 9 g 85 silver.

Just because you buy gems with cash, that you then exchange for gold, does not mean you did not buy gold for cash.

If I buy Spiderman comic for $3.99 and rhen exchange that comicbook, for an X-men comic book, I bought the X-men comicbook for $3.99.

Saying that I got the X-men comicbook for “free” shows a misunderstanding of what comprises monetary value.

The reason why Gold has value is because players buy it. They use cash to buy gems, then use the gems to exchange for Gold. Like exchanging a Spiderman comic for an X-men comic. Just because you exchanged one for the other, does not mean that the comic that ended up in your possession was free…. it cost you the price you paid for the Spiderman comic.

PS Comicbooks also have monetary value.

Spider-Man / Spider-Man vs. the Chameleon! #1 released in 1963 in mint condition is worth $36,000

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

A = B

/sigh

Edit – I forgot to remind you that when a player exchanges their Gold -> Gems, they are not paying anyone’s salary. The huge flaw here is that you believe Gold = real money. In the real world, that applies fine, as Gold is precious metal that acts as a buffer to inflation. In the game, Anet doesn’t make a single penny when a player exchanges Gold -> Gems. I repeated it twice here so you understand it’s importance. Paying customers like me who makes microtransaction sales is what drives the current revenue stream for NCSoft.

the question is not of the monetary value to you, the user, its a question of monetary value to anet.
anet can make cash off of your gold. thats why it has monetary value.

It is not relevant what I specifically can make, from the perspective of what has value to anet the company.

The fact that i may be in a country where i cant trade silver for US dollars, does not mean silver isnt has no value in US dollars.

To be clear you are mistaking monetary value, with money. No one is saying you can pay your employees with monetary value directly, however you can and do as a company seek to gain things of monetary value, so that you can sell these things of monetary value to pay your employees.

a peice of gold irl is not money, however, if i go to the store, and give them a peice of gold, have i not paid them for the item? did they give me an item for free? are they losing money by giving me the food?

as long as they can trade that gold for money, they are coming out ahead, and are being paid, and i am increasing their profits.

the filter of a gem does not change this, other than assuring that i only get store credit for the item, and cannot myself profit. However be certain that arenanet can and does, pay bills with peoples desire to trade in game time for the monetary value gem store items, and peoples desire to pay real world cash for those other players in game time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

~~~ snip ~~~

Repeating a fallacy does not make it correct. Please realize that you don’t understand how the Gem Exchange works. We, of the BLTC forums, have been talking about it since day one. Anet has also explained what it is and how it works, thus the reason why we understand what we’re talking about.

The Gem Exchange is a pot. In the pot is Gems and Gold deposited before the game went live. The exchange rate is a formula based on the rations of Gems and Gold. When a player exchanges their Gems or Gold, they get the opposite in return. The pot levels rise and fall, and with it the exchange rates. When the player population is doing too many exchanges of the same type, the formula makes makes it more expensive, thus reducing the incentive to continue. At the same time, the incentive to do the opposite increases by the same rate. The higher the exchange rate goes for Gold -> Gems, that’s proof that there’s a lot more Gold than there are Gems in the balance. Basically the scales are tipped heavily towards one direction.

Going on, Anet/NCSoft profits off of players who continue to make microtransaction purchases. To do this, they pay for Gems with real money. THIS is where the money comes from. This money is put back into the company, as well as pay out dividends to shareholders. Players who just trade in-game Gold for Gems do not add revenue to the company, because they didn’t pay for any microtransaction. They got their Gems for free. This is an intended mechanic. This allows non-paying customers to enjoy the same things as us paying customers. Non-paying customers exchange their time and hard work (which of course has no monetary value) for Gems. Paying customers exchange their real money for Gems (still no monetary value, as per the User Agreement).

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nerelith.7360

~~~ snip ~~~

Repeating a fallacy does not make it correct. Please realize that you don’t understand how the Gem Exchange works. We, of the BLTC forums, have been talking about it since day one. Anet has also explained what it is and how it works, thus the reason why we understand what we’re talking about.

The Gem Exchange is a pot. In the pot is Gems and Gold deposited before the game went live. The exchange rate is a formula based on the rations of Gems and Gold. When a player exchanges their Gems or Gold, they get the opposite in return. The pot levels rise and fall, and with it the exchange rates. When the player population is doing too many exchanges of the same type, the formula makes makes it more expensive, thus reducing the incentive to continue. At the same time, the incentive to do the opposite increases by the same rate. The higher the exchange rate goes for Gold -> Gems, that’s proof that there’s a lot more Gold than there are Gems in the balance. Basically the scales are tipped heavily towards one direction.

Going on, Anet/NCSoft profits off of players who continue to make microtransaction purchases. To do this, they pay for Gems with real money. THIS is where the money comes from. This money is put back into the company, as well as pay out dividends to shareholders. Players who just trade in-game Gold for Gems do not add revenue to the company, because they didn’t pay for any microtransaction. They got their Gems for free. This is an intended mechanic. This allows non-paying customers to enjoy the same things as us paying customers. Non-paying customers exchange their time and hard work (which of course has no monetary value) for Gems. Paying customers exchange their real money for Gems (still no monetary value, as to the User Agreement).

You can claim to understand it, that doesn’t mean you understand it. That is why you are having a hard time, you have decided you understand it, and are trying to explain it to someone else that actually understands it.

You repeat yourself. But repeating yourself doesn’t make you right. In Game Gold has value for Anet, because they sell it.

They get cash for it, when a Player uses cash to buy gems, then trades the gems for Gold.

For some reason you do not wish to accept that when you use Real world money, to buy Gems, and then use the gems to buy gold… you used real world cash to buy gold.

If A = B, and B=C, then A=C.

if real world cash is used to buy gems, and gems are used to exchange for gold. real world cash was used to buy gold.

If I buy Item A for X dollars, and exchange Item A, for Item B. I did Not get Item B for free, Item B cost me X dollars.

If I buy Gems for cash, and use those gems to exchange for gold…I paid cash, for gold.

By Selling me gold Anet realizes a profit. The fact that I cannot realize any profit from that gold, does not mean the gold lacks monetary value, since it has monetary value for Anet.

The purchase and sale of Gold is one way that Anet pays it’s bills.

Think about it, is there a difference between How much Gold it takes for One Player to BUY 100 Gems with Gold? and when another wishes to purches gold from Anet with Gems…doesn’t he get less?

This is the definition of profit. That you are not used to thinking of In game gold as having monetary value, doesn’r mean it lacks monetary value, it simply means that you don’t recognize it.

PS: The User agreement is a legal position, and Not even an incontravertible one. it is not an economic document. So since this is an economic discussion, the User agreement has no place here.

The reason the user agreement says " Gems have zero monetary value" and " Gold has zero monetary value" is to prevent people from suing Anet if anything happens to their Gold and gem holdings.

I agree to that , that means i agree that i am not gonna sue Anet if anything happens to my Gold Holdings.

that doesn’t mean i agree to ridiculousness, saying that “The user agreement” says that what has value , has no value. Is ridiculous.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

~~~ snip ~~~

Going on, Anet/NCSoft profits off of players who continue to make microtransaction purchases. To do this, they pay for Gems with real money. THIS is where the money comes from. This money is put back into the company, as well as pay out dividends to shareholders. Players who just trade in-game Gold for Gems do not add revenue to the company, because they didn’t pay for any microtransaction. They got their Gems for free. This is an intended mechanic. This allows non-paying customers to enjoy the same things as us paying customers. Non-paying customers exchange their time and hard work (which of course has no monetary value) for Gems. Paying customers exchange their real money for Gems (still no monetary value, as per the User Agreement).

the state of the pot does not determine the profit of the system. Its also unlikely the pot is directly based on the gold to gem ratio in the pot, its more likely it is based on the volume of gold compared to the volume of gems traded each day + a buffer that assures that anet is taking minimal risk per day. That determines the rate, then based on that exchange rate decided by anet, anet takes a 34% spread, which they can also change if they feel like it.

keep in mind that the pot will most likely generate excess gold no matter what, since anet keeps some of the gold in the pot for each exchange. this is why the ratio of gold/gems in the pot is not likely the key factor.

Also realize, that if this method was not more profitable and effecient, they would have used a direct trading system, whereby the user directly sells his gems to other players, which would guarantee without a shadow of a doubt, that anet would never take a loss on any trade, and would make money via the fees.

JS has already said that the exchange system they put in place is more effecient and a better system, which for a company means over all, it is more profitable, and better meets their requirements.

you need to understand what the purpose of the exchange system is, it is to allow players to exchange game effort to gems and gems with cash , with anet being a middleman.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Not true. I disagree.

It is true, which means you disagree with reality. Or are you making a statement “not true” and then disagreeing with yourself and thus agreeing with me?

ArenaNet has monetized gems. They offer the gem to gold exchange and gem store in order to incentivize players to purchase gems. They only make money when players buy gems.

Any other statement to the contrary by you is blatantly wrong.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

Not true. I disagree.

It is true, which means you disagree with reality. Or are you making a statement “not true” and then disagreeing with yourself and thus agreeing with me?

ArenaNet has monetized gems. They offer the gem to gold exchange and gem store in order to incentivize players to purchase gems. They only make money when players buy gems.

Of course anet only gets cash when they get cash
monetary value is not cash

what they get from players who sell gold is something of monetary value, what they get from people who buy gems is cash.

you can pay some one in things other than money, generally these things have monetary value.

lets say i go to a different country, and the people there trade me silver in exchange for my drawings. Silver has monetary value, it is not money. However it cannot be debated that they have paid me. I have not given them drawings for free, i gave it to them for silver.

Notice silver is not cash. I can trade it for cash, but it is not cash. I dont actually make cash, until i go to the silver exchange and change my silver for cash. However, i gained monetary value the moment i traded my drawings for silver.

based on how much silver i was able to charge for my drawings, i can then figure out the monetary value of my drawings in cash, even though i at no point sold a drawing for cash.
i can figure out how much cash, my drawings are worth, which is the monetary value of my drawings, So yes, for anyone asking me, i make money from selling drawings, I could say i make money from selling silver, but that is only giving them a tiny piece of the picture. The actual economic force driving my business is the value of my drawings, because how many drawings i can get silver for, determines how much money i make.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

~~~ snip ~~~

You need to realize that you don’t fully understand how the Gem Exchange works. Just because you believe it works the way you think it works, doesn’t make it right. There are two things going on here. 1) We understand the workings of the exchange, per conversations with Anet employees. 2) You don’t understand the workings, and are attributing fallacies in order to try and prove your point.

We can debate this until the Dolyaks come home, and you’ll still be wrong. You cannot dispute our facts with your opinions.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not true. I disagree.

what they get from players who sell gold is something of monetary value, what they get from people who buy gems is cash.

you can pay some one in things other than money, generally these things have monetary value.

lets say i go to a different country, and the people there trade me silver in exchange for my drawings. Silver has monetary value, it is not money. However it cannot be debated that they have paid me. I have not given them drawings for free, i gave it to them for silver.

Notice silver is not cash. I can trade it for cash, but it is not cash. I dont actually make cash, until i go to the silver exchange and change my silver for cash. However, i gained monetary value the moment i traded my drawings for silver.

based on how much silver i was able to charge for my drawings, i can then figure out the monetary value of my drawings in cash, even though i at no point sold a drawing for cash.
i can figure out how much cash, my drawings are worth, which is the monetary value of my drawings, So yes, for anyone asking me, i make money from selling drawings, I could say i make money from selling silver, but that is only giving them a tiny piece of the picture. The actual economic force driving my business is the value of my drawings, because how many drawings i can get silver for, determines how much money i make.

Monetary Value: Noun – the property of having material worth (often indicated by the amount of money something would bring if sold)

Your paintings would fall in this category if you sold it. There is no monetary value for the buyer once he owns it, until he can find someone willing to pay for it.

Gems have no monetary value. Neither does Gold. Anet’s service, which is what they truly sell you, has monetary value (to Anet) up until the point where they receive the cash from the player. After the money is exchanged, the Gems you receive have 0 value to them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

Wow this thread has derailed pretty badly. Anyway, I wonder if ANet has ever considered the option of tying, let’s say, gem store armors to some kind of mini quest or something for those who would be more than willing to pay for the armors but don’t just want it handed to us simply by paying real life money? Maybe create some armors that are unlocked my paying gems but that still require some semblance of in game effort to acquire them, like through crafting for example? Obviously the biggest obstacle for Anet would be the need to put a little bit more effort into the process but I think it would work well in the long run and would give these gem store items more “meaning,” especially for those (like myself) who value gameplay and cosmetics as equally important in games like Guild Wars.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

Not true. I disagree.

Monetary Value: Noun – the property of having material worth (often indicated by the amount of money something would bring if sold)

Your paintings would fall in this category if you sold it. There is no monetary value for the buyer once he owns it, until he can find someone willing to pay for it.

Gems have no monetary value. Neither does Gold. Anet’s service, which is what they truly sell you, has monetary value (to Anet) up until the point where they receive the cash from the player. After the money is exchanged, the Gems you receive have 0 value to them.

you are once again confusing monetary value, with money. Monetary value is before an item is sold, it is the agreed upon worth of said item right now. Once i sell it, i dont have an item of monetary value, i have actual money.

for example the monetary value of gold(real life), right now, in US dollars is 1294$ per oz. Tommorow it may be different, even if i dont sell that gold, it currently as of this moment has a monetary value of 1294$, that value is not realized until i sell it, but that is its current value.

If someone gives me an oz of gold for a painting, i can say i got the an item with a monetary value of 1294$, i cant say i got 1294$ until i sell that gold, but i did in fact gain value.

i also can say i was paid
and i can say that that customer gave me something of value, specifically monetary value.

you can think of monetary value as the expected price, or the agreed upon price for an item.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

you are once again confusing monetary value, with money. Monetary value is before an item is sold, it is the agreed upon worth of said item right now. Once i sell it, i dont have an item of monetary value, i have actual money.

for example the monetary value of gold(real life), right now, in US dollars is 1294$ per oz. Tommorow it may be different, even if i dont sell that gold, it currently as of this moment has a monetary value of 1294$, that value is not realized until i sell it, but that is its current value.

If someone gives me an oz of gold for a painting, i can say i got the an item with a monetary value of 1294$, i cant say i got 1294$ until i sell that gold, but i did in fact gain value.

and i can say that that customer gave me something of value, specifically monetary value.

you can think of monetary value as the expected price, or the agreed upon price for an item.

Gold (real life) has monetary value. If you buy an ounce of Gold, you still have something of monetary value. I think this is where Nerelith is making the mistake in her arguments. Gold in game is not the same as Gold in real life, even though the same word is being used. So if A = Gold (real life) and B = money, then A = B.

Your painting in and of itself has no value. If you find someone willing to pay for it, then it has monetary value. The person who bought the painting now has something they value, but there is no monetary value until he’s able to find another person to buy it off of him.

The service Anet sells, the “entertainment” has monetary value to them and NCSoft. When they sell you their service or entertainment, you receive in game credits that have no monetary value. You paid for the privilege of accessing exclusive content.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

Gold (real life) has monetary value. If you buy an ounce of Gold, you still have something of monetary value. I think this is where Nerelith is making the mistake in her arguments. Gold in game is not the same as Gold in real life, even though the same word is being used. So if A = Gold (real life) and B = money, then A = B.

Your painting in and of itself has no value. If you find someone willing to pay for it, then it has monetary value. The person who bought the painting now has something they value, but there is no monetary value until he’s able to find another person to buy it off of him.

The service Anet sells, the “entertainment” has monetary value to them and NCSoft. When they sell you their service or entertainment, you receive in game credits that have no monetary value. You paid for the privilege of accessing exclusive content.

from an economic standpoint there is no difference between gold and a painting other than the fact people have a much more concrete idea of what someone is willing to pay for it from moment to moment.

once again you are confusing monetary value with actual money. The monetary value is the expected price based on what people are in general willing to pay for it. Right now, my house has a monetary value, based on its condition age and location. a Paul cezanne painting has a current monetary value of 279 million (although at the time of sale it was 259 million)

the key here is that things have an expected value, how much people are willing to pay for said item. Thats really what monetary value is, it is how much people are willing to pay for an item.

If my painting is being sold every day multiple times for 1000 dollars, one would say it has a monetary value of 1000 dollars. i gold in gw2 is being traded 1000s of times per day at 14 cents per 1 gold, one can say gold currently has a monetary value of 14 cents.

people are willing to pay 14 cents for gold right now based on how much arenanet has sold gold yesterday,today and the day before(whenever), even moment to moment they recalculate its value.
http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem
That is about as accurate a monetary value as you can get.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

from an economic standpoint there is no difference between gold and a painting other than the fact people have a much more concrete idea of what someone is willing to pay for it from moment to moment.

once again you are confusing monetary value with actual money. The monetary value is the expected price based on what people are in general willing to pay for it. Right now, my house has a monetary value, based on its condition age and location. a Paul cezanne painting has a current monetary value of 279 million (although at the time of sale it was 259 million)

the key here is that things have an expected value, how much people are willing to pay for said item. Thats really what monetary value is, it is how much people are willing to pay for an item.

If my painting is being sold every day multiple times for 1000 dollars, one would say it has a monetary value of 1000 dollars. i gold in gw2 is being traded 1000s of times per day at 14 cents per 1 gold, one can say gold currently has a monetary value of 14 cents.

people are willing to pay 14 cents for gold right now based on how much arenanet has sold gold yesterday,today and the day before(whenever), even moment to moment they recalculate its value.

I could say the shoe I’m wearing has monetary value if someone is willing to buy it. But you have to find someone willing to pay for my shoe. This is different from real life Gold, which you will find no shortage of people willing to buy it.

Gold in game is a virtual currency that has no monetary value. No one buys Gold with real money, except the ones breaking the ToS when dealing with RMT companies. In game, you can get Gold in exchange for Gems, neither of which has monetary value. Gems, which are in-game credits, have no worth, as per the User Agreement.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

I could say the shoe I’m wearing has monetary value if someone is willing to buy it. But you have to find someone willing to pay for my shoe. This is different from real life Gold, which you will find no shortage of people willing to buy it.

Gold in game is a virtual currency that has no monetary value. No one buys Gold with real money, except the ones breaking the ToS when dealing with RMT companies. In game, you can get Gold in exchange for Gems, neither of which has monetary value. Gems, which are in-game credits, have no worth, as per the User Agreement.

buying gems to turn it into gold is effectively buying gold.

much like if i have to turn my american dollars into yen to buy a new anime, i effectively bought the anime.

or if i have to buy 1500 microsoft points to buy a game. No the game was not given to me for free, i bought it,
no the game is not worthless because it sold for microsoft points, it has a monetary value through microsoft points.

(edited by phys.7689)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

buying gems to turn it into gold is effectively buying gold.

much like if i have to turn my american dollars into yen to buy a new anime, i effectively bought the anime.

or if i have to buy 1500 microsoft points to buy a game. No the game was not given to me for free, i bought it.

Exchanging dollars into yen is ok, because both are real currencies. I can’t speak on terms of MS points, because I don’t know their policy on those credits. Are you able to get MS points by playing games online, like I buy Halo, beat the game 500 times and get 1,000 free MS points?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nerelith.7360

Not true. I disagree.

You can say it over and over, does Not make it so. Saying" You disagree with reality "does not make it so. All you show is that you are not understanding how Anet is making money from selling in game gold thus assigning monetary value to in game gold.

They make money when they sell gold to the buyer that buys gold with gems, they also make money when they buy gold from the player that buys gems with gold.

A lot of players seem to think they are bending over backwards doing a favor to players that buy gems with gold.

They found a way to turn players that normally would not buy gems for cash, into workers that provide them with a product to sell… In game gold.

You saying over and over." I Understand how it really is, listen to me, you are wrong", doesn;t make you right.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

~~~ snip ~~~

Wrong again. I’m getting a bit tired of having to repeat our explanations on how the Gem Exchange works. Players are NOT buying Gold and Gems from each other. This is a simple fact. Just because the Gold/Gems go into the pot of the Exchange, doesn’t mean they’re suddenly trading with each other. The pot balance is meant to determine the exchange rates. Players are exchanging Gold/Gems with existing Gold/Gems that Anet deposited into the pot before the game started. Yes the new Gold/Gems that were exchanged today are now mingling with the existing Gold/Gems in the pot, but we are not at the point where I’ll be getting someone else’s Gold when I exchange my Gems.

Anet/NCSoft does not make money off of players who exchange Gold → Gems. Why? Because this exchange was free. Anet/NCSoft makes money from players buying Gems (which have no monetary value). I’m assuming you’re thinking in-game Gold is the same as real life Gold, a rare metal, that people and governments use to do business.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nerelith.7360

Not true. I disagree.

You assigned a Monetary value to your drawings even though you could never buy coffee at starbucks with them.

People seem to think Monetary value, and currency are one an the same. Once they Understand " Phys’ drawing may not be currency, but it has monetary value…. silver may not be currency but it also has monetary value….

maybe….

they can then understand.." neither gems nor gold are currency…. but they have monetary value. When a Player buys gems with Gold… and buys gold with gems, they are trading in items that have monetary value.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not true. I disagree.

You assigned a Monetary value to your drawings even though you could never buy coffee at starbucks with them.

People seem to think Monetary value, and currency are one an the same. Once they Understand " Phys’ drawing may not be currency, but it has monetary value…. silver may not be currency but it also has monetary value….

maybe….

they can then understand.." neither gems nor gold are currency…. but they have monetary value. When a Player buys gems with Gold… and buys gold with gems, they are trading in items that have monetary value.

Wrong again. Here’s a dictionary definition of monetary value:

Gems and in-game Gold have no monetary value. When you purchase Gems, you’re paying for the entertainment Anet sells, and the privilege of accessing exclusive content in the Gem Store. Gems are credits with no monetary value. Everything in game is property of NCSoft. I’m just accessing them via real money I pay to the company. I could buy 10,000 Gems right now, and Anet has every right to take those away, with no refund possible.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nerelith.7360

~~~ snip ~~~

Wrong again. I’m getting a bit tired of having to repeat our explanations on how the Gem Exchange works. Players are NOT buying Gold and Gems from each other. This is a simple fact. Just because the Gold/Gems go into the pot of the Exchange, doesn’t mean they’re suddenly trading with each other. The pot balance is meant to determine the exchange rates. Players are exchanging Gold/Gems with existing Gold/Gems that Anet deposited into the pot before the game started. Yes the new Gold/Gems that were exchanged today are now mingling with the existing Gold/Gems in the pot, but we are not at the point where I’ll be getting someone else’s Gold when I exchange my Gems.

Anet/NCSoft does not make money off of players who exchange Gold -> Gems. Why? Because this exchange was free. Anet/NCSoft makes money from players buying Gems (which have no monetary value). I’m assuming you’re thinking in-game Gold is the same as real life Gold, a rare metal, that people and governments use to do business.

You can say " wrong again" that doesn’t make me wrong. You can explain over and over and over. That doesn’t mean you understand.

Just because all the gold and gems go into a common pool where they mingle with everyone else’s from trades days before doesn’t mean Anet is NOT making money from trading in gems and gold.

They make Money when they sell in game gold to a Player for gems they bought with cash. But they also make money when they buy in game gold from a player that was going about playing the game, that then sold it’s gold to Anet for gems.

The same gold that maybe next week or next month it will sell to another player for gems they purchased with cash.

One of the ways Anet makes money is by dealing in gold sales. Just because gems are in the picture does not eliminate the fact that Anet is making money buying and selling it’s own in game gold.

Yopu used the following definition of Monetary value.

According to your own definition of monetary value, in game gold has monetary value. Since it is indicated by the amount of money it..( in game gold) would bring when sold to the cash purchaser of gems.

I hope you understand how your own definition of monetary value applies.

PS: using bold doesn’t automatically make what you made bold true. it just makes it bold. So just because you say free doesn’t mean it’s free. it just means it’s bold .

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

~~~ snip ~~~

Anet/NCSoft does not make money off of players who exchange Gold -> Gems. Why? Because this exchange was free. Anet/NCSoft makes money from players buying Gems (which have no monetary value). I’m assuming you’re thinking in-game Gold is the same as real life Gold, a rare metal, that people and governments use to do business.

You can say " wrong again" that doesn’t make me wrong. You can explain over and over and over. That doesn’t mean you understand.

Just because all the gold and gems go into a common pool where they mingle with everyone else’s from trades days before doesn’t mean Anet is NOT making money from trading in gems and gold.

They make Money when they sell in game gold to a Player for gems they bought with cash. But they also make money when they buy in game gold from a player that was going about playing the game, that then sold it’s gold to Anet for gems.

The same gold that maybe next week or next month it will sell to another player for gems they purchased with cash.

One of the ways Anet makes money is by dealing in gold sales. Just because gems are in the picture does not eliminate the fact that Anet is making money buying and selling it’s own in game gold.

According to your own definition of monetary value, in game gold has monetary value. Since it is indicated by the amount of money it..( in game gold) would bring when sold to the cash purchaser of gems.

Wrong again. Gold and Gems have no material worth. We don’t own them. We’re allowed to access them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nerelith.7360

~~~ snip ~~~

Wrong again. Gold and Gems have no material worth. We don’t own them. We’re allowed to access them.

And the fact that in game gold and gems are traded back and forth in exchange for items that have monetary value..GIVES them monetary value.

I am just hopeing pwoplw can see How items that may not appear to have “Inherent value” or even " real existence" can have monetary value.

The question is, is it worth something to someone? Will someone pay real world money for it?

If we ask those questions about in-game gold…then yes..it has Monetary value. Anet makes money by selling it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

And the fact that in game gold and gems are traded back and forth in exchange for items that have monetary value..GIVES them monetary value.

I am just hopeing pwoplw can see How items that may not appear to have “Inherent value” or even " real existence" can have monetary value.

The question is, is it worth something to someone? Will someone pay real world money for it?

If we ask those questions about in-game gold…then yes..it has Monetary value. Anet makes money by selling it.

/sigh

Again you’re wrong. Repeating a fallacy does not automatically make it correct. A = B, B= C, does not always mean A = C.

Gold and Gems have no monetary value. Players who exchange back and forth for items of no monetary value, the result is still no monetary value. If you’re talking about real life Gold, a rare metal, then yes, Gold has monetary value, in the real world.

I’m starting to wonder if this debate is a psychological attempt to attach real value to your perceived values of in-game items. Something along the lines of Gold-exchanging players feeling on par with Gem purchasing players. I don’t doubt that you value your Gold and your in-game items. I value them too. But the way MMOs are set up is that we don’t own anything. At most, we own the box the serial number came in. All virtual items are property of NCSoft, and we’re allowed to access them in exchange for money. It’s like we’re leasing time in order to play the game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

<snip>

<snip>

Calling it a draw.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nerelith.7360

/sigh

Again you’re wrong. Repeating a fallacy does not automatically make it correct. A = B, B= C, does not always mean A = C.

Gold and Gems have no monetary value. Players who exchange back and forth for items of no monetary value, the result is still no monetary value. If you’re talking about real life Gold, a rare metal, then yes, Gold has monetary value, in the real world.

I’m starting to wonder if this debate is a psychological attempt to attach real value to your perceived values of in-game items. Something along the lines of Gold-exchanging players feeling on par with Gem purchasing players. I don’t doubt that you value your Gold and your in-game items. I value them too. But the way MMOs are set up is that we don’t own anything. At most, we own the box the serial number came in. All virtual items are property of NCSoft, and we’re allowed to access them in exchange for money. It’s like we’re leasing time in order to play the game.

I would appreciate it if you would cease trying to psychoanalyze me on the public forums, extend me the same courtesy I did you.

We can disagree on the subject matter without being disagreeable, or seeking to get personal. I refrain from making personal observations on the public forums of you, I expect the same :-)

By the way, you are still wrong. Virtual Goods and services have real worl value when people pay real world currency for them.

PS: I never saved up enough gold to exchange for Gems. Too lazy and too ADD to be patient enough to save it up. I Like a lot of players used my Cash, to buy gems. I then used the gems to buy gold.

The fact that I did, does not make me any more important than any other player. And it doesn’t make me more important than players that use gold to buy gems. I am part of a group of players that supports this game.

So are players that save up gold to purchase gems as both you and I… as well as players that buy gems with gold,… bring material to anet that it can then use to turn a profit.

I do not need to purchase gems with cash to feel important.

PPS: you are wrong. If A=B, and B=C, then A=C, as Long as the comparisons are equal.

If $1.25 = 100 gems, and if 100 gems = 9gold 85 silver, then for a player that seeks to use cash to purchase gems to then purchase gold…..

$1.25 = 9g 85 s.

The fact that a player is willing to pay anet for gold, and is willing to pay $1.25 for 9g 85 s, means that it has monetary value to Anet. That Anet makes players purchase gems that they then exchange for gold…does not mean Anet is not selling Gold. It is selling gold for real world cash, that means it has monetary value to Anet.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

@ OP I have never spent any $ on this game, nor will I. I have enough in game funds to buy whatever new shiney comes out.

It would only have monetary value if you could turn gems/gold into rl $

You’re paying for a service.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Moderator.6840

Moderator.6840

Hi everyone,

Since this thread couldn’t offer a constructive debate and derailed into inflammatory exchanges, we’ll now close it.

Thank you for your understanding.