Ecto Drop rate reduction?

in Crafting

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I’m just curious if anyone else has noticed a reduction in their ecto drop rate? For around the last month or so when salvaging rares I’ve noticed that I have what seems like a significant increase in the number of salvaged rares return no ectos. I use a mystic salvage kit on level 75-80 rares. I know these bugged out once before so didn’t know if it was happening again.

in Crafting

Posted by: jaka.9635

jaka.9635

well i have been doing EoTM for the achievs quite a lot lately, and thus have gotten a lot of rares. And there were a lot of cases that i didnt get any ectos from a rare. Maybe even more frequent than before.
But there were also a lot of cases where i got 3 globs. The 1 and 2 globs were rare tho.
So maybe ist just a streak of weird RNG choices…

in Crafting

LordEnki.9283

Yeah I noticed that too, I’d get a lot of zero, an occasional three, but 1 and especially 2 was rare. Still way more zero ecto breakdowns than I remember.

in Crafting

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

It feels like the droprate was reduced. Unfortunately, I have no evidence to support my argument, and therefore I’ll have to believe it’s just RNG being an kitten .

in Crafting

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

/tinfoil hat
/takes a drink

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

No difference in my Ecto rates for me.

in Crafting

Posted by: Valdemas.4960

Valdemas.4960

Is it that time again?

Vinita Rush, ZDs Officer

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

It’s always that time.

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Weird, usually it happens after a patch…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Crafting

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I threw a die and it landed on 4. Did they nerf 1?

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Crafting

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

We should have an ecto nerf sticky.

in Crafting

LordEnki.9283

Seriously guys if you don’t have something useful to input then go troll somewhere else. Thank you to the people with helpful input from those that have noticed and those that haven’t felt there was a difference. I wasn’t aware this was a regular post as the search feature on the forums is not very useful. The rates seemed to significantly change for me. It’s not that I had a few bad salvages on a handful of rares. It’s been constant since the last living world patch . I get anywhere between 10-20 rares a day on average and play every day. So it’s certainly something I would notice a difference in. I remember a while back there was a bug where rares were not dropping ectos as they should. It was a confirmed bug and everyone was complaining about the rares taking up so much bank space while waiting for a fix. It seemed to me that if it happened before then it’s possible it happened again. I don’t think Anet is out to ruin me so save your tinfoil for the kitchen.

(edited by LordEnki.9283)

in Crafting

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

There are people who salvage large numbers of rares a day to get ectos. And by large numbers I mean way more than 10 or 20 a day. Those were the people who noticed the ecto salvage drop on that previous ecto drop thread. They kept records of what was going on and did the math to prove it. If there were an ecto salvage bug these guys again would notice and post like they did before.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

I did start to sell my rares rather than salvage them during the end of Living story (around marionette onwards) because they never seemed to return any ectos.

Since the LS ended I’ve found that they seem to be salvaging much more again.

As we are seeing totally opposite effects, that would suggest that both of use were not seeing anything at all (other than randomness).

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

in Crafting

LordEnki.9283

I appreciate the input, good to know. Still think I’ll go back to selling rares then till my luck improves or there does turn out to be a problem.

in Crafting

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

It’s always the rich (ascended armor & co owners), that say ‘nothing to see here move along’. and the poor people, average rich people, seems to have it.

I have salvaged so much rares lately, and i’m 100% sure the drop rate was tempered with. Did i have bad luck strikes in past? ofc. But i also had lucky strikes to compensate, and almost always ended up at the 0,9 ecto per rare rate. Recently it’s been 0,6 ecto per rare. Even lucky strikes cannot make up for the massive unlucky strikes. So yes i’m with OP.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

in Crafting

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I salvaged 10 rares last night and got 12 ectos.

What makes your useless anecdote more valid than my useless anecdote?

0.85 is the overall average (when using the appropriate kit). What that means is that over a huge sample size across ALL players, it will be approximately 0.85 Ectos per salvaged Rare.

In order to test for an aberration in the drop rate, you would need a lot of samples. When I say “a lot” I mean more than “hundreds”.
If you are too poor to consider yourself “rich”, you are definitely too poor to adequately sample the drop rate.

You may as well argue that the 1 side of a die is broken because you threw the die once and it landed on 4.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s always the rich (ascended armor & co owners), that say ‘nothing to see here move along’.

Yes, because only the “rich” (or more precisely, people that deal with large amounts of rares/exotics) have enough data on hand to see if there’s a change in the pattern or not. Salvaging 10 rares is simply not enough to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Crafting

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

I threw a die and it landed on 4. Did they nerf 1?

+1 for you, sir. Well done.

Zelendel

in Crafting

Astral Projections.7320

When there was the previous problem with the ectos I, a casual salvager, certainly never noticed it. That suggests to me the problem wasn’t to the level where people were getting extremely reduced amounts but that the reduction was a small fractional decrease of the 0.85 number. That it was small enough that in order to be noticed, the person had to be both salvaging high numbers and keeping records. And it took a number of people salvaging large amounts and reporting it to get ANet to check it.

When ANet finally tested it, it took a couple of days for them to come back with the results and calculations and agree there was a problem with the numbers.

This is why threads where someone says, “I salvaged a handful of rares and didn’t get enough ectos” is not taken seriously. If there is a problem with ecto salvaging the reduction will small and not visible unless the sample size is very large.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

We should have an ecto nerf sticky.

Purple Nerf ball with a darker purple center covered in purple suction cups….

Did I type that out loud?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Buttercup.5871

It’s always the rich (ascended armor & co owners), that say ‘nothing to see here move along’. and the poor people, average rich people, seems to have it.

Oh you have salvaged thousands upon thousands of rares as well then? And you posted feedback as well, in what appears to be a bi-weekly thread to share your results for the umpteenth time? Are you even aware of the amount of posts John Smith, Anets economist, has spent on this to solidly show the community that a nerf like this would be in the patch notes if it was implemented?

“The rich” are not your problem. You are your problem if you actually believe what you’re saying. Incidentally, how do you think the rich became rich? I did trough salvaging rares, and moved on from there.

in Crafting

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

This again? How many rares did you salvage, 7?

Come back when you have data for 10,000+ rares, then we’ll talk about a rate reduction.

Seriously, ever since that one incident where rates were bugged people scream it left, right and centre.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Crafting

Posted by: dAcIaW.5107

dAcIaW.5107

I salvaged 2 rares and got 6 ectos, the drop rate has actually increased by like a bazillion percent!

in Crafting

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Im pretty sure it was nerfed too. RNG is RNG but after playing a long stetch and now suddenly, basically the past month has definatly been way less. Since its been consistent lower, literally no good RNG at all and its never ever happened before im leaning towards nerf over permanent bad luck for this long

in Crafting

Buttercup.5871

Im pretty sure it was nerfed too. RNG is RNG but after playing a long stetch and now […]

I hope that by a “long stretch” you mean 100+ rares. Because you know that you can have 15 streaks of nothing and then 15 × 2 or 3 ectos in a row, right?

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Im pretty sure it was nerfed too. RNG is RNG but after playing a long stetch and now suddenly, basically the past month has definatly been way less. Since its been consistent lower, literally no good RNG at all and its never ever happened before im leaning towards nerf over permanent bad luck for this long

Here are my numbers for salvaging 1.860 rares since April 1st with MSK:

1609 ectos salvaged 86.5%
1462 upgrades salvaged 78,6%

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Crafting

Zaxares.5419

Had a really good streak over the weekend. Salvaged something like 14 or 15 Rares, got 29 Ectos in total. I think it’s safe to say that the salvage rates have not been touched.

in Crafting

Posted by: ninetales.5208

ninetales.5208

Have I just been awfully unlucky the last couple of days or has the return for ectos been nerfed with this weeks patch? I had 12 level 80 yellows in my bag and got 2 ectos from it -_-

It’s true, I’m not dangerous. But these golems are!
ASURA POWER!

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

Have I just been awfully unlucky the last couple of days or has the return for ectos been nerfed with this weeks patch? I had 12 level 80 yellows in my bag and got 2 ectos from it -_-

After reading all the posts in this topic, do you think your sample size of 12 is significant enough?

in Crafting

ninetales.5208

After reading all the posts in this topic, do you think your sample size of 12 is significant enough?

Dunno. I’m only asking if anyone has noticed a difference since the patch or if i’ve been unlucky.

ASURA POWER!

in Crafting

Astral Projections.7320

Dunno. I’m only asking if anyone has noticed a difference since the patch or if i’ve been unlucky.

Posts from this thread to answer your question.

Wanze: Here are my numbers for salvaging 1.860 rares since April 1st with MSK:

Zaxares: Had a really good streak over the weekend. Salvaged something like 14 or 15 Rares, got 29 Ectos in total. I think it’s safe to say that the salvage rates have not been touched.

Buttercup: (snip) you know that you can have 15 streaks of nothing and then 15 × 2 or 3 ectos in a row, right?

dAclaW: I salvaged 2 rares and got 6 ectos, the drop rate has actually increased by like a bazillion percent!

In other words, no. No one has noticed a difference since the patch. You were unlucky and RNG is RNG.

in Crafting

ninetales.5208

Posts from this thread to answer your question.

Wanze: Here are my numbers for salvaging 1.860 rares since April 1st with MSK:

Zaxares: Had a really good streak over the weekend. Salvaged something like 14 or 15 Rares, got 29 Ectos in total. I think it’s safe to say that the salvage rates have not been touched.

Buttercup: (snip) you know that you can have 15 streaks of nothing and then 15 × 2 or 3 ectos in a row, right?

dAclaW: I salvaged 2 rares and got 6 ectos, the drop rate has actually increased by like a bazillion percent!

In other words, no. No one has noticed a difference since the patch. You were unlucky and RNG is RNG.

OK. Just thought most of these posts were made before the patch so I thought i’d ask. Good to know.

ASURA POWER!

in Crafting

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

Anyone else experiencing a severe decrease in rate of salvaging ectos from rares in the past few days?

We’ve all seen the price of ectos drop most likely due to supply increase from people salvaging rares for wardrobe skins. After salvaging 20-25 rares in the past 2 days I’m calling arbitrary stealth nerf to their droprate.

RNG is RNG I know, but as someone who does world bosses more than most other content, seeing 1 mithril, followed by 1 rune, then 1 leather, and so on over and over again a pattern becomes apparent.

Anyone else having this experience?

Legendary Defender of Casuals

in Crafting

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

salvaged 8 rares yesterday, got 11 ectos. salvaged 4 rares today, got 3 ectos

not to say that’s enough evidence to dispute a stealth nerf. but neither is salvaging 25 rares

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

Salvaged 503 rares since patch, got 425 ectos, all is fine.

in Crafting

Squee Squashington.5189

Sigh.. okay thanks for the feedback.

in Crafting

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Took a huge while, but my luck has finally gone back to normal. No more ‘10x rare without an eco in a row’ kind of luck anymore. It’s back to the old, normal 0,8-0,9 rate. But it took much longer then ever to recover. I salvaged over 1000 rares in the bad luck streak.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Crafting

Zaxares.5419

Got a bad streak on Thu/Fri, but was back to normal on Sat/Sun. All is fine.

in Crafting

Squee Squashington.5189

Salvage rates return to normal when ectos are back up to 38s. I call shenanigans!