Why do people like Kiel?

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Alleluia.1320

Alleluia.1320

I do not have a strong opinion about Kiel, for many of the reasons you said above.

I like her, because she is good and a positive character. However, because she has no (or very little) flaws and not much of a personality, I don’t find her character that interesting.

^this

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Rymer.4017

Rymer.4017

Well I have to say the I like her get down to work style but theres more to the story that I feel we are not seeing. Look at who leads her and tells her to do this it could be the reason why we dont see her as anything other then the hero but in the end it could be the person in the back ground that has the agenda like taking control of LA and DR at the same time this way they can take there plan to wipe out the charr. Look at this new creations the queen has mechtech guards and then look at the Aetherblades they where magic tech. Also look at the dredge and Flame legion they tried to make the same set up but one thing is leading them maybe its someone in the human council trying to take control like the minister that want to take over from the manor story they did say he had spies everywhere maybe this is a lead on that story.

Also look at what happened to Logan in the main story he rejoined DE and said the queen could wait this leaves her unguarded and open to the other council members to manipulate her to do as they want by bringing in a mech army and to take over. But if I am the only one to see this then that why I am voting for her not for her promise’s but for the story.

As for Evon he has had little to play in the living story and does not seem like his story could lead to us finding out more on it other the a fractual that tells us the story of the fall of one god not the the story of why the gods left or if they do have something to do with maybe being the dragons them selves. But thats a whole other topic. I just think if she gets choosen the story will evolve more then if Evon gets in.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I don’t like her.
That self-righteousness will lead her astray. Soon she’ll be using her own warped sense of justice to persecute, imprison and execute her enemies. All for what is “right” and “justice” in her eyes.

I’m sure you’ve all seen this plot device before…

You will all see her fall into madness just like Abbadon when he believed it was a good idea to give humans magic in the first place.

Devona’s Rest

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Whoever wrote the latest update on the main site apparently doesn’t care for Kiel either.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: SlaYer.2138

SlaYer.2138

I vote Kiel simple bcuz I never get what I want whenever I open those Black Lion Chests.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

I like Kiel because one time in the aetherblade dungeon she rescued me from the down state.

The only thing Evon has ever done is seed the world with gamble boxes full of garbage loot and overpriced keys.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Because she is made to be this “perfect” character I expect she may have some skeletons in her closet, or more so some serious problems that will come back to haunt her (not so much her past per say in the short story).

Thats kind of why I hope she wins, cause I’d like to see that flawless demeanor come to an end.

Evon at least seems like we already know where all that will go. But who knows…I’m not really leaning too much for either side really.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Sorry for the late reply, this sort of thing is not easy to write.

What stereotypical boxes?

The ones that try to force an narrow and often harmful pro/prescriptive existence on women in which we “asked for it” no matter what we did or did not do, and in which even what few positive characteristics we are “allowed” are usually doubled-edged swords. One obvious example: be told to be pretty and then despised as shallow, vain, stupid and sl*tty.

One of my favourite female characters in fiction is Balsa from Seirei no Moribito. She was probably one of the most skilled fighters in that story (if not the most skilled) and not only did she stand on equal ground with her male opponents, she often defeated them. Despite this she was also an incredibly strong maternal character.

Why “despite”?

As far as I know, women might be ‘equal’ but that does not mean the same. The writers of GW2 often seem to think that to write a strong female character, they need to essentially write a man, then give them the body of a woman.

Equality in dubious quotation marks?

I’m very tired of the “man with boobs” (or the equally toxic “whipped sissy boy”) that is trotted out whenever a character does not meet status quo approval. You do not get to decide who is a woman (or man) and who is not. Your preferences are your own, but they are not definitions of gender identity.

It’s not just about a game, but about real people too, and how media can influence people and society for good or ill. Gender stereotypes are still used to inflict enormous amounts of hurt on people of any gender in real life. Can you try to imagine what that is like? Can you try to imagine the sheer and honestly potentially life-saving relief when, for the first time ever, you see “someone like you” represented somewhere, not as a hateful stereotype, or the butt of jokes, or a freak who needs to be put in their place, but as someone who is accepted as they are, no particular attention drawn to it? It can be huge, and it doesn’t apply to gender stereotypes only, but also sexual orientation, color/ethnicity, physical or mental disability, and so on.

Diversity is good. No one can or should be forced to like a particular character for any reason ever, but please don’t try to deny a character’s gender identity (or any other intrinsic part of them).

Look at Eir. She was probably one of the more likeable members of Destiny’s Edge, yet she does a very “norn” thing and abandons her child to chase her own legend. It’s almost like we’re being told that being a mother, being maternal is something that strong female characters shouldn’t do.

Eir is a norn. Why should she NOT do a “norn thing”? Is being a norn (or a charr, since you mentioned Almorra as well) something that is reserved only for the men of the species?

For that matter, what is wrong with a father taking primary responsibility for his child? There is absolutely nothing that a female parent can do that a male parent can’t do just as well. (Aside form the obvious breast-feeding, which is not a non-negotiable requirement for the offspring’s survival when it comes to sentient beings.)

It’s as if we are being told that being a mother is a sign of weakness (despite Bear and the Pale tree being maternal, how often do they fight?).

I really can’t see that at all. There are hardly any parents of either gender mentioned prominently, which is only to be expected because this isn’t a soap opera but a “world in peril” in which we interact primarily with warriors, rulers and adventurers. The Pale Tree is just that, an enormous stationary tree. And we don’t see Bear at all, or any of the gods and spirits.

That’s just one example of an aspect unique to women which is often abandoned to make women look “tougher” or equal to men.

You write that sort of thing and then accuse me of “loaded responses” and the debate being highly inflammatory?

Again, there is nothing about being a parent or being nurturing that is either intrinsic or “unique” to women. The assumption that there is, is one of those abovementioned doubled-edged swords that can lead to a lot of harm. Plus, there are many fantastic male caregivers out there who don’t deserve to be handwaved away any more than women who are not stereotypically feminine do.

The core of why I have this particular issue with Kiel is that she lacks complexity or anything that makes her compelling.

See, why not just leave it at that instead of bringing the whole not-a-real-woman prejudice into it? I obviously don’t agree and can’t see why she’s less complex or compelling than say Marjory or especially Kasmeer, but to each their own. Some people like this, some people like that, and the setting is richer for it all being in there.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Chadramar.8156

I don’t like Kiel because she is obnoxious and bullying. I don’t appreciate someone threatening to perforate my spleen on a first meeting

Yeah, that is a complete and utter “WTF you south-end of a north-bound jotun?!” line, and a perfect example of why all the pirates-are-cool hype annoys me. Pirates are not the good guys. Even if this was an attempt at giving that straight-faced soldier character a hint of deadpan humor, I’d consider it way out of line because threats are rarely funny, especially from a stranger and when you can’t tell if they’re serious or not.

That said, the line is weird because it does not match her actions otherwise. She could have let the Southsun settlers suffer under the Consortium because hey, a contract is a contract, why should she put her neck on the line for them, especially those who originally supported Canach. She could have kept the plunder from the Candidate Trials. In either case, she does not but instead tries to do the “right thing”.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Obfuscate.6430

Obfuscate.6430

I wish she were an asura.

I find both candidates to be stereotypes both in archetype and race. I am kind of tired of seeing prominent white humans in lead roles and the other races are almost comedic relief.

I voted based on the Fractal reward – I want to learn more about the Thaumanova Reactor more than I want to know about Abaddon. Ideally I would have liked both but since I am forced to choose I would pick something not so human-centric to begin with.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Chadramar.8156

You make a good point about human-centrism, and specifically white-human-centrism — on which I recall there having been several debates, since apparently GW1 did a better job with diversity, but I never played that one so I can only go by what other have said.

I don’t see Evon as a stereotypical charr, and would actually like him more if I did. :p Sylvari, charr and norn are vastly more interesting to me than humans. If future writing choices were up to me, we’d see more of the non-humans in their own cultural environment instead of the strongly human-themed Lion’s Arch and all its living story plots. I’m not a fan of the asura, but maybe that’d be all the more reason to support there being more of them, specifically competent and likeable ones beyond the weird mix of “arrogant supremacist” and “disaster-prone comic relief”. Kiel as an asura is an interesting thought.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

I like Kiel because one time in the aetherblade dungeon she rescued me from the down state.

^This. She saved our party from a wipe at one point in AR by getting up our Guardian.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

You make a good point about human-centrism, and specifically white-human-centrism — on which I recall there having been several debates, since apparently GW1 did a better job with diversity, but I never played that one so I can only go by what other have said.

I don’t see Evon as a stereotypical charr, and would actually like him more if I did. :p Sylvari, charr and norn are vastly more interesting to me than humans. If future writing choices were up to me, we’d see more of the non-humans in their own cultural environment instead of the strongly human-themed Lion’s Arch and all its living story plots. I’m not a fan of the asura, but maybe that’d be all the more reason to support there being more of them, specifically competent and likeable ones beyond the weird mix of “arrogant supremacist” and “disaster-prone comic relief”. Kiel as an asura is an interesting thought.

GW1 was pretty white human centric up until the expansions came out. That being said, I agree with you. We need more living story stuff that focuses on the other races. Especially the Asura master race.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

She the “good guy”.
She’s also an idiot. How is she gonna give the money/treasure back to their rightful owners?

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

to be honest, i would LOVE to see a giant plot-twist. she is currently portrayed, or rather, perceived, as the “good guy”. so maybe she IS the ultimate baddie and only infiltrating LA. although, the chances seem slim as she’s to me more or less doing what’s his face’s, ah, Magnus’, bidding over anything.

or perhaps.. she’ll find that the Council itself is up to no good. that even Magnus is, gasp, up to no good. then she’ll really play out as hero. though, that’s rather predictable in a sense as well.

hmmm. i guess she’s aight. and like someone mentioned, she does have nice hair.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I don’t like her. I am voting for her because I am hoping that she will be gone of the Living Story forever after taking the council seat, since she will be (hopefully) too busy with politics to run around having adventures and stealing other npcs’ credits/ships (Trahearne must be slightly upset right now, and Marjory should be, too).

I was going to vote for Evon because of the fractal, but I was convinced by some people here that the other fractal might be as interesting as Abaddon’s fist fall.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Genesis Notch.1905

Genesis Notch.1905

Kiel would be revealed as the personal nemesis that Anet has been talking about.

Evon is already everyone’s nemesis, cooperating with the mystic toilet.

YAY 2 NEMESES

I am in charge of gas tanks. Tink Tink.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Because **** RNG boxes.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Why do people even believe her name is Kiel? Did you even read the stuff about her? She was picked up from a burning ship by Magnus while her parents drowned and, likely, one of her parents was made a champion of zhaitan as a result. Last name “Lethe” is more likely.

You say she’s “good”. Did you even do the candidate trials, and see the disdain she has for the lion guard when she falls out of her role?

If you want the least of the two evils, Evon is your best bet. Voting for Kiel is a vote for more crappy pirate stuff and a candidate with a personal agenda who will lie in your face at every available opportunity.

(edited by Buttercup.5871)

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Essentially, at this point, they’re both shallow. Kiel appears as a two-dimensional Neutral* Good professional mostly defined by her workalohicism (although that very dedication may be a sign of something deeper – keeping her mind off the death of her family, perhaps)? Evon, on the other hand, is a few lines of dialogue over an empty vessel that each player is filling with whatever they imagine to be the case, which may have little in common with ArenaNet’s idea of him. I expect both have hidden depths, but at the moment, I don’t think we can really say we know either of them.

In respect for the OP’s wishes, I’m going to concentrate on Ellen from here on. There’s essentially three reasons:

First is a roleplaying thing. Some of my characters have worked with Ellen before, including the initial karka invasion, the contracts emergency, and the Aetherblade situation. They appreciate how she does things. Furthermore, when you talk to Ellen, she clearly thinks of your character as a friend, and I don’t see any reason why those of my characters wouldn’t reciprocate. Basically, voting for Ellen feels like voting for a friend (or at least a work colleague that you have no reason to dislike) while voting against her feels like a betrayal.

Second, I’ve never subscribed to the meme that evil is cooler than good (except in cases where the designers of a setting have clearly given all the coolest stuff to the bad guys and it would be irrational to think otherwise, but that’s not the case in GW2). Ellen’s actions so far – destroying the contracts, wanting to return the treasure stolen by the Aetherblades rather than claiming it for herself – seems to indicate that at the very least, her heart is in the right place.

Last and indeed least, Ellen has become the third victim of what I term “Kormir Syndrome”, and I hate the sense of jealousy and entitlement that comes from the people who evoke that.

*A lawful good character would probably have tried to deal with the contracts within the law, rather than simply blow them up (and the public property they were in). While maintaining plausible deniability, that act certainly went outside the law.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Geniekid.2645

Geniekid.2645

I like that she took the Aetherblade pirates clothes and is wearing them. That little exchange in LA made me laugh in a “wait, what?” kind of way.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

stuff

This. All of this.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: SoapandMirrors.4069

SoapandMirrors.4069

I don’t like Kiel because I know literally nothing about her -even after playing through all of the Living Story content. She has absolutely no personality other than her alignment on the Good vs Evil scale and her only interactions with the player are to just show up and stand around. Even in the Aetherblade Retreat she just stands around at the door about 90% of the time and waits for the players to deal with the boss. I think I saw her swing her sword maybe twice that whole time. That hardly qualifies her for “heroic” status in my book and, without that, there’s really nothing left. She’s just a blank slate. You could replace her with anything and it would be the same character.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Sure I like Ellen, but we’re voting for a new fractal here… of course I vote for Abaddon/Gnashblade.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

It’s a generic human npc character that plays the hero and was placed into the story far sooner and has a reward that the casual voter just like real life will see ‘n’ base their soul vote off of (aka waypoint costs).

Not to mention how they cast Evon Gnashblade in his first appearance in a very negative light and the few bits that do deal with him in detail proving he cared about LA are written story on the website which a vast majority do no visit or read these things even when they do visit. Oh.. and his reward is associated with RNG Keys that people LOATHE over something like trading post costs which would have been a fair match against waypoints. So people hate him based on that as well. Doesn’t even cover the fact that most people can’t relate to beast races in a staring roll like this as shown in COUNTLESS other games.

Doesn’t even touch on how sad many MMORPG communities are playing female characters they dress in the skimpy stuff. That also let that carry over into characters they like to watch, speak with, etc. Giving Kiel an even bigger edge yet again.

The outcome due to these very very simple things was decided before the vote even started. I called who’d win, why, and even that it would be one character aka Kiel in the lead the whole time. The vote was a joke and a very bad one.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Sujuro.4096

Sujuro.4096

Kiel’s story was a pity-fest, she is being put on this pedestal of the good guy perfect self sacrificing hero, and she is really just an enchantress! Don’t vote because you ‘like’ a candidate, vote because of how it will impact the game in the long run.
Voting for Gnashblade is best thing we can do to support Guild Wars 2. Even if you don’t buy keys yourself, others will happily pay the reduced price. Think about steam sales. This increases profit for Anet/NCsoft which translates to an increased budget that will provide a solid foundation for future content! Save a miniscule amount of copper on reduced WP prices for a few weeks, or get better more frequent content for years to come? Vote for Gnashblade says you care about the future of Guild Wars 2.

(edited by Sujuro.4096)

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

draxynnic.3719

Unfortunately, it’s promoting sales of an RNG mechanic, which I think is bad for Guild Wars 2 in the long run. If it was instead a sale on direct purchases from the gem store, then I could see the argument – and Evon’s position would probably be that much stronger.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Sujuro.4096

Sujuro.4096

It won’t make a difference at all voting for Kiel though. Even if you dislike RNG, there are tons who love it. Kiel winning won’t suddenly make Anet stop selling RNG. So even if you don’t like the RNG system, it is here to stay and we may as well take advantage of the situation to support the game.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Eroiqua.5891

Eroiqua.5891

I don’t really like either of them. Kiel is boring, Gnashblade is crooked. I started voting for Kiel because I want to see the reactor fractal. As the days went on, I became more and more for Kiel and against Gnashblade because I want to see the reactor fractal…and I’m a GW1 player who grew tired of the very vocal minority spewing garbage about “true” fans and how only naive children would vote for Kiel, and presenting false comparisons (for instance, claiming the vote is Abaddon fractal vs cheap waypoints).

I had put a few dozen votes in for Kiel on the second or third day and was originally planning on just deleting any tokens I found after since I didn’t want to have to click through them all. Now, though, Kiel will be getting multiple hundreds more votes from me, even if my finger falls off when I’m done clicking all the tokens.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

draxynnic.3719

It won’t make a difference at all voting for Kiel though. Even if you dislike RNG, there are tons who love it. Kiel winning won’t suddenly make Anet stop selling RNG. So even if you don’t like the RNG system, it is here to stay and we may as well take advantage of the situation to support the game.

Not really. There’s been a lot of outcry about the RNG, and there have been signs that ArenaNet has been moving in response to that (at a glacial pace, but moving nonetheless). If we see a situation like you propose, it’s quite possible that the NCSoft marketers that are pushing it will seize on that as evidence that the outcry is a verbal minority and most people actually LIKE the RNG, and we’re going to get it shoved down our throats more intensely than before, and you can kiss goodbye to the compromises such as having boxes available through means apart from the gem store.

Now, I’m voting based on in-game thinking rather than out-of-game thinking, but if you’re going to vote based on out-of-game thinking such as ‘support ArenaNet’, then you also need to consider the RNG message that voting for a discount on keys, and then having lots of people take advantage of that discount, would send. From my viewpoint, such a message would lead to the game becoming worse in the long run, not better.

EDIT: In the interest of not further derailing this topic, and in observation that Sujoro spammed multiple threads, I request that further discussion on this topic to be carried out here

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

@Chadramar

For starters, you’re missing the point. It’s not that the writers have to write her as feminine, it’s that she continues the GW2 trend of tough chicks being written without femininity. Your mention of diversity is ironic because you are approaching GW2 from an outside in perspective, but in the world of Tyria, women quite often win the numbers game. Destiny’s Edge (the heroes that show heroes how it’s done) has three females and two males. The leaders of two out of three orders are female. Of the human gods, two of six are male. The sylvari come from a tree that is given a female gender, the humans are ruled by a Queen not a King. The Living Story has had between three and five protagonists, four of which are female (three are human females). One of the most masculine races in the game is the charr where there is almost no difference between males and females (and very few feminine traits).

I’m not waging war on strong or masculine females, I’m annoyed that it’s used as a crutch to make women appear strong at the expense of portraying feminine characters as strong front liners (Kasmeer, Marjory are traditional caster females). It’s like someone is writing their own fantasy world where women still give birth (something men can’t do – that’s one of the reasons ‘equal’ is in quotation marks) and in some cases still have the physical appearance of a model yet they don’t face the realities of this. This is epitomised by Eir and charr society, where women still give birth but neither raise their children so they can continue to being equal to men. That wreaks of Mary Sue, a world where women are as strong as men, can rise to the same ranks as men, but unlike men they still give birth yet that doesn’t hinder them from showing the men how it’s done.

When discussing Kiel’s weak character, I bring up her gender because she continues a trend in GW2 story telling where strong characters can’t be feminine and because the writers have done little to take anything about her (and her gender is one possibility) and use it to make her interesting in some way. Maybe it’s because I (along with the rest of the GW2 audience) live in a world where gender matters and where equality does not mean the same. Someone’s gender is a part of their identity and it’s a part of their experiences and it’s something that I find very compelling as an element to a story. Maybe in Tyria the writers wanted to make women equal to men so they wrote them as the same, but in my opinion that removes a wonderfully complex element from the story, an element that Kiel could have (but doesn’t have to) possessed to make her more interesting than watching paint dry.

Her gender was not the sole focus of my original post criticising her, it was one of five paragraphs, the smallest paragraph for that matter. It was not my intention to put her gender under a magnifying glass but rather to list it as another element of her identity which could have been used to make her more interesting (I did dilute this point by mentioning her as a trend in GW2 writing).

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I don’t know why people like her. She’s a Lionguard. She’s just doing her job, that doesn’t necessarily means she’s a good guy. I don’t see anything wrong with Evon that makes him a bad guy. He’s just doing his job too. He’s got the better fractal, imo, so he gets my vote.

Because bad ppl don’t tend to join a force dedicated to helping ppl out, securing trade routes and defending every peon on the road from every ooglie booglie they pass? Those kind of people go into politics. Like Evon. Who comes across like every slimy politician in every campaign I’ve lived through.

There’s plenty of bad police men in the world. If they give you orders that you don’t agree with and start stating your rights they get scared. There’s also people who go into the army because they don’t have anything to do with their life. This doesn’t always mean they’re a good person. I’m not saying Kiel is going to become elected and start killing people left and right, because I think if she does get elected Lion’s Arch is still going to be the same place with small changes here and there. I’m just saying you don’t have to be a good person to follow orders and get paid.

Apparently you have a hard time grasping the qualifier ‘tend’. It doesn’t imply exclusivity. Nor are police forces and militaries rampant with slack jawed droolers. Those are the ones who may try to join, but get washed out. Being able to see lighting and hear thunder aren’t the only requirements.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

My reasons:

- I know her from a long time.
- She is a clear heroine
- She will reduce for 4 weeks the price in somthing that I use constantly.
- The fractal is not a key factor to me. A think that a fractal is a fractal, no the next 8th wonder. So I dont care which fractal comes.

Thats why I like her over Evon.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

1. Not a furry
2. Not a Charr
3. Doesn’t smell like manure among other nasty things
4. Doesn’t track in fleas etc.
5. Doesn’t make good burgers

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

GW1 was pretty white human centric up until the expansions came out. That being said, I agree with you. We need more living story stuff that focuses on the other races. Especially the Asura master race.

The champion in the fight against Zaitan is a Sylvari. Charr and Norn stole the spotlight in the whole Flame and Frost story part. Asura have given us the Fractals, the Super Adventure Box and the Winter event.

What have Humans done? Up untill Aetherblade Retreat, they just send you somewhere to do something, usually just by a letter. Atleast in AR one of them actually came to the dungeon, but Ellen Kiel didnt actually fight against the bosses. And now shares the spotlight with the Charr, Evon.

Gw2 is by no stretch of the imagination “white human centric”.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Unfortunately, it’s promoting sales of an RNG mechanic, which I think is bad for Guild Wars 2 in the long run. If it was instead a sale on direct purchases from the gem store, then I could see the argument – and Evon’s position would probably be that much stronger.

What people like you forget is nothing is going to change anet controls how much RNG is in the game. Kiel winning doesn’t mean there will be new members taking over the gem shop that despise rng

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

draxynnic.3719

Actually, I’m being realistic about this – I don’t expect Kiel winning to change the direction things are going one bit.

However, my concern is that Evon winning MIGHT.

There have been signs that the ArenaNet/NCSoft brass have been taking notice of the complaints about RNG. They’ve gone from gem shop only (F&F) to gem shop boxes dropping very rarely in a specific zone (SS) to having a weaker version of the box that drops with reasonable regularity in the open world, but which has a miniscule chance of dropping what people really want (DB).

From the point of view of the grey suits, a win by a ticket that’s has somewhat cheaper RNG boxes as one of its draws could easily be seen as a referendum on RNG, leading them to claim that the vote results show that clearly the majority of players like the RNG. This goes doubly if there are a lot of key sales afterwards.

So, yeah, I don’t expect Kiel winning to change anything. Those same grey suits will explain it away as other factors rather than a rebellion against RNG. But I’d bet that if they get anything they can possibly spin as evidence for silent majority player support for RNG… they’ll grab it with both hands and shove it down the throat of any dissenters.

Maybe I’m being overly cynical here… but I know the tendency some people have to discard evidence they don’t like while pouncing on the merest scrap of evidence supporting their position. Especially when money is involved.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Neko.7548

Neko.7548

because she is a girl, beautiful girl
need more reason ?

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

need more reason ?

This sums up 99% of the Kiel voters. Mindless sheep who fell for a Siren’s song.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Meriem.3504

need more reason ?

This sums up 99% of the Kiel voters. Mindless sheep who fell for a Siren’s song.

Whos not to say that Evon voters fall for the furry call?!

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

need more reason ?

Statistically smaller subset of the population.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Meriem.3504

need more reason ?

But am I sure a lot voted for Evon cause hes the tough man that does what he wants mentality. :s

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Simple: Ellen will make it less expensive to waypoint around, improving my ability to earn the gold I need. Evon on the other hand will merely make it more tempting to throw away real money on boxes of worthless junk that do nothing to improve gameplay.

Any character that does anything to advance the role of RNG needs to die. A-Net: please make Evon a world boss so we can all kill him once a day for loot. Thanks.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

A-Net: please make Evon a world boss so we can all kill him once a day for loot. Thanks.

Evon will randomly spawn in one of 100 different locations, or not. When you find him, he might be killable, or he’ll one-shot everyone and despawn after 10min. When you kill him he has a small chance to drop a lootbag. The lootbag has a small chance to contain the Rapier weaponskin. This is the only way to get this skin and its soulbound, no not accountbound, soulbound.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

People sometimes dislike someone who is overly genuine and noble because they seem stupid, boring and over the top in their eyes. Most importantly though, is there is a subconscious envy for them for what they couldn’t be.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

I like Kiel to spite Evon supporters with all their unsportsmanlike behavior for the other side.

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Scarletdawn.2750

Scarletdawn.2750

Kiel seems a bit too perfect to me. But I also dislike her because she is a Lionguard trying to get on a pirate council. She doesn’t belong there. In fact it’s a bit suspicious.

At least with Evon his goals are clear. He’s sneaky, he’s shady, he is exactly the sort of guy you need for trade negotiations. He’s not evil, he’s a pirate! He’s sly.

Evon’s goals are clear?!! Seriously, is this the type of brain damaged logic that exists in our world today? If he is a pirate, and if pirates employ tricky, deception and thievery, then you NEVER really know what his goals are until he stabs you in the back…lol

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Scarletdawn.2750

Scarletdawn.2750

need more reason ?

It has everything to do with Kiel being portrayed as the ‘good guy’ and Gnashblade as the ‘bad guy’…and has nothing to do with what you said. In fact, your comments are wasted…

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

Actually, I’m being realistic about this – I don’t expect Kiel winning to change the direction things are going one bit.

However, my concern is that Evon winning MIGHT.

There have been signs that the ArenaNet/NCSoft brass have been taking notice of the complaints about RNG. They’ve gone from gem shop only (F&F) to gem shop boxes dropping very rarely in a specific zone (SS) to having a weaker version of the box that drops with reasonable regularity in the open world, but which has a miniscule chance of dropping what people really want (DB).

From the point of view of the grey suits, a win by a ticket that’s has somewhat cheaper RNG boxes as one of its draws could easily be seen as a referendum on RNG, leading them to claim that the vote results show that clearly the majority of players like the RNG. This goes doubly if there are a lot of key sales afterwards.

So, yeah, I don’t expect Kiel winning to change anything. Those same grey suits will explain it away as other factors rather than a rebellion against RNG. But I’d bet that if they get anything they can possibly spin as evidence for silent majority player support for RNG… they’ll grab it with both hands and shove it down the throat of any dissenters.

Maybe I’m being overly cynical here… but I know the tendency some people have to discard evidence they don’t like while pouncing on the merest scrap of evidence supporting their position. Especially when money is involved.

I think you nailed this one. Voting for her for the same reason. I don’t even mind the BL Keys since I typically get something good and useful from each chest — but I also don’t buy them often (only when they are on sale). The other RNG boxes are another matter – stringing people along on the miniscule chance they will get what they really want just sucks. Every time a fellow guild member suggests they will be buying the RNG boxes, or lamenting the fact that they did and got skrewed as a result – I want to hold an “intervention.” We like you, but behavior is just hurting yourself and others . . .

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

Why do people like Kiel?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

When in doubt, vote for anything but the Charr.

Primordus for Captain’s Council!