SPOILER: Jokes in bad taste.

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Good thing I don’t get immersed enough in video games that I confuse my real world morals with theirs.

But you immersed enough to go to the forums and talk about how not immersed are you. You know, some people might even think, that you care. Silly people.

Of course I care about the game. I wouldn’t be playing it otherwise… Just not enough to misconstrue a joke with realism.

So…would it be fine, if game, u care about, would transform into puke jokes and story for a 10 year old kids?

It hasn’t so far. I’ll keep you posted about how I’d feel about it if it happens.

See? So its all about your moral standards. Guess, they just wasnt as high as mine. A little lower and even u would be hurt. Looks like you immersed much enough. Just dont accept it untill it hurts ya.

Morality is subjective. What you perceive as high, I might see as self righteousness.

But my point still stands. If u care about the game > u care about the story. U just fine with the way story is made right now.

Ofc I do care about the story. That was never a point of contention.

It was, actually.
Good thing I don’t get immersed enough in video games that I confuse my real world morals with theirs
U see. If u not immersed enough, so u shouldnt care about puke jokes and story for 10 year olds.

Because its a game world! Dont confuse your morals and theirs! In Tyria its just fine!

Wut? Not being deeply immersed =/= not caring.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

I didn’t find it tactless or awkward at all, although I do agree with having more options that would reflect what kind of personality you’d like your own character to have. It’s just as distasteful though that some people think that those who do not empathize with their moral view is inferior.

Im not forcing my morals on you. It was your kind of people morals, that was forced on my hero. If it wasnt for all this topics “olololo look! I stomped scarlet with a cow”, devs would have had a little more respect for Scarlet.

Leo Paul.1659

I didn’t find it tactless or awkward at all, although I do agree with having more options that would reflect what kind of personality you’d like your own character to have. It’s just as distasteful though that some people think that those who do not empathize with their moral view is inferior.

Im not forcing my morals on you. It was your kind of people morals, that was forced on my hero. If it wasnt for all this topics “olololo look! I stomped scarlet with a cow”, devs would have a little more respect to Scarlet.

She deserves respect? :/ Oh and I never said you were forcing your morals, just that you perceive those who don’t share the same view inferior:

This scene in the bar…. I understand, that you have to appeal to all little humans, who hated scarlet…. But why no choice for a people with a heart?

Can’t u…like… feel good, that its over, but still remain human? I guess it would be to hard.

Its obvious, that we have to kill/farm to get anything in this game. But it doesnt mean, that we should abandon our moral standards.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Sergoros.4398

Good thing I don’t get immersed enough in video games that I confuse my real world morals with theirs.

But you immersed enough to go to the forums and talk about how not immersed are you. You know, some people might even think, that you care. Silly people.

Of course I care about the game. I wouldn’t be playing it otherwise… Just not enough to misconstrue a joke with realism.

So…would it be fine, if game, u care about, would transform into puke jokes and story for a 10 year old kids?

It hasn’t so far. I’ll keep you posted about how I’d feel about it if it happens.

See? So its all about your moral standards. Guess, they just wasnt as high as mine. A little lower and even u would be hurt. Looks like you immersed much enough. Just dont accept it untill it hurts ya.

Morality is subjective. What you perceive as high, I might see as self righteousness.

But my point still stands. If u care about the game > u care about the story. U just fine with the way story is made right now.

It was, actually.
Good thing I don’t get immersed enough in video games that I confuse my real world morals with theirs
U see. If u not immersed enough, so u shouldnt care about puke jokes and story for 10 year olds.

Because its a game world! Dont confuse your morals and theirs! In Tyria its just fine!

Ill just live you hanging at this point of conversation. You should understand my point with some time given.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Why is it so wrong to want to roleplay a character?

And I mean that in earnest. Everywhere I go there seem to be some people that go on the verbal offensive just because they don’t like the way some people enjoy the game.

You may not care about the dialogue options…others may get more immersed. If anything, you’re the one who are missing out on something becaue you can never imerse yourself enough in anything to actually experience what roleplaying and immersion can bring you.

Bottom line is: it’s not fun if the writers decide what character you are, if the rest of the game allows you to make one based on your views. If you get a main character created by the game then it’s something completely different. But this isn’t some random macho cop gone rogue…this is my frikkin’ character and she does NOT enjoy killing!

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

She deserves respect? :/

Again, it’s not so much about Scarlet, as it is about the player character, like I said in my post. My character would not go making jokes about dead tyrants or singing “ding-dong the witch is dead”. Now all the options that were given were equally bad. That’s what I’m personally arguing here.

Leo Paul.1659

It was, actually.

Ill just live you hanging at this point of conversation. You should understand my point with some time given.

Oh I completely understand your point… I just don’t agree.

Leo Paul.1659

Again, it’s not so much about Scarlet, as it is about the player character, like I said in my post. My character would not go making jokes about dead tyrants or singing “ding-dong the witch is dead”. Now all the options that were given were equally bad. That’s what I’m personally arguing here.

I understand and I agree that people should’ve had more options. My issue is with the people who think that people who like the options are morally daft. I wouldn’t say the options themselves were bad, just lacking.

Sergoros.4398

Im not forcing my morals on you. It was your kind of people morals, that was forced on my hero. If it wasnt for all this topics “olololo look! I stomped scarlet with a cow”, devs would have a little more respect to Scarlet.

So we should talk about that now? I still believe, that at some point we would find out, that without Scarlet intervention, Tyria would have been doomed. It would be to long if ill start reading my full pro and con list of Scarlet aftereffect on the Tyria.

So ill just settle down to say, that every dead deserve respect. I dunno about your country, but in mine there is even a saying “When you talk about the dead, talk the good or keep silent”

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I couldbt pay attention the the dialogue…. I was too busy feeling awkward by the awkward laughter, while theres nothing funny going on O.o.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Leo Paul.1659

So we should talk about that now? I still believe, that at some point we would find out, that without Scarlet intervention, Tyria would have been doomed. It would be to long if ill start reading my full pro and con list of Scarlet aftereffect on the Tyria.

So ill just settle down to say, that every dead deserve respect. I dunno about your country, but in mine there is even a saying “When you talk about the dead, talk the good or keep silent”

That applies to computer generated images too? My point is, don’t diss the people who aren’t offended by the same things. Sure, your dislike is warranted, perhaps it’s cultural, but people who like the the scene aren’t necessarily “little humans” who have no heart.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Sergoros.4398

That applies to computer generated images too?

I already argued this point with you. You care as much as I do. Video game or real world. You would be equally disgusted with puke jokes. Same with morality. Reality or not, Its still disgusting, that my character would suddenly act like he have no sense of tact.

Imagine, if suddenly, in some epic scene, your char would just suddenly poop on the floor. Its not right.

Leo Paul.1659

That’s a false analogy at best.

Sergoros.4398

Why? Your sense of morality tells you, that pooping on the floor is bad and disgusting.

My sense of morality tells me the same + much more. Including jokes about the dead. Understand?

Leo Paul.1659

Why? Your sense of morality tells you, that pooping on the floor is bad and disgusting.

My sense of morality tells me the same + much more. Including jokes about the dead. Understand?

Do you get offended when your The Sims character pees on the floor? Sure, I wouldn’t do it IRL, but I find it funny to watch him do that to some extent.

Sergoros.4398

Do you get offended when your The Sims character pees on the floor? Sure, I wouldn’t do it IRL, but I find it funny to watch him do that to some extent.

Actually, I feel a little disgusted at such moments. Or when some aliens made my male sim pregnant. Though, I dont like sim games much, so I could care less.

Now, we talking about the guild wars 2. Game, we both care about. Now, answer my previous post properly.

Leo Paul.1659

That’s the thing isn’kitten You may be disgusted by jokes about a dead plant, but I’m not. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re morally superior.

Sergoros.4398

That’s the thing isn’kitten You may be disgusted by jokes about a dead plant, but I’m not. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re morally superior.

Heh. So its back to me and my way of talking. Ok. I might have overdid with offensive talk a little. Im sorry

Its good, that, at least, now you understand what I was talking about, and why people get offended with this dialog choices.

(edited by Sergoros.4398)

Leo Paul.1659

I do understand, and like I said, your complaint is warranted. I too would want more choices to reflect the personality of my character better.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Humour as a defense mechanism is how I saw it. Or at least an attempt at it. I’m not particularly offended, and I even grinned at Braham and Taimi’s interactions.

Having dealt with tragedy and death for years in one of my lines of work, some words from my other line of work seems always appropriate in these situations:

"And if I laugh at any mortal thing, ’Tis that I may not weep” - Don Juan
Canto IV - Byron

Just my two coppers worth,

I think this makes the most sense. Just because they laugh does not make someone without morality. It does not make a person insensitive. The use of humour, in such situations, is as an invisible armour, so it’s possible to keep fighting, helping, defending, whatever is needed to be done. The characters may even be a touch demob happy. If they didn’t let off steam in this manner, that would be a whole heap worse. If you’re not sure what I mean, a watch of either M*A*S*H the film or a few episodes of the TV series would help clear it up.

That said, although the awkward silences between the conversations were probably due to the code firing in whatever way it fires plus something technical about servers, those silences were the space between the notes to me. That’s where all the conflicting emotions, thoughts, and real feelings lie - the horror at what unfurled, the reflection upon the numerous dead, missing, torn apart lives. For those that may have had a smoother service, however, those silences may not have occurred, and if you had quick-fire lines coming then yeah. It probably does seem a tad much.

I didn’t particularly like how my character answered the question of how it felt to top the crazed cabbage, but until the day we get to type in our own responses (or even speak them! ), then we have to make do with lines being supplied for us, even if they don’t suit the characters as we hold them in our imaginations. I think I would’ve preferred they’d gone along the old Charisma/Dignity/ThumpyFist route, plus a definitive nod to the fallen, but I’m not going to worry about it. If anything, my character would bow his head in silence and resolve to try and prevent something like this ever happening again (not that I RP beyond what goes on in my head, but if I did, that’s where he’d go with it). Then he’d demand counselling. Come on, where’s the NPC shrink? And the cake?!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

You mean like how Guild Wars 1 became Guild Wars 2?

You’ll need a lot thicker skin if you expect to survive in this world if your fake world is offending you.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I agree with the OP that the jokes were in poor taste. I don’t think it’s a case of morality though. I certainly don’t think that finding the jokes acceptable/in poor taste is any accurate reflection on the morality. Scarlet isn’t a real person. The reason I agree with the OP is that within the bounds of this fictional world, our Hero friends acted the way little children might inquire after a veteran’s war experiences.

I think they just came off as very juvenile regarding death and the taking of life. Instead of representing the burden and responsibility, they went with a ‘how cool was it’ approach. Perhaps not the best route.

How did it feel killing Scarlet? As a player, I am glad that pox is removed from this game and we can proceed with some decent storytelling.

As a ‘character’ though…it was doing what was needed. A whole city was burning outside with thousands dead. It is a joking matter as a player living beyond the 4th wall but the characters within should be taking it all a little more seriously.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

(edited by Saint.5647)

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Repeat after me… ’It’s just a game & she’s a fictional character’.

So thats spouse to be a get out of jail free card?
Why not have Braham kick Taimi in the head when she gets all Asura on him?

Personally I’m not upset Jory said that, she can be an idiot about it if she wants. And I can understand if people get upset about it specially since apparently everyone jumped from the hate Scarlet train to the love one.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Repeat after me… ’It’s just a game & she’s a fictional character’.

So thats spouse to be a get out of jail free card?
Why not have Braham kick Taimi in the head when she gets all Asura on him?

Personally I’m not upset Jory said that, she can be an idiot about it if she wants. And I can understand if people get upset about it specially since apparently everyone jumped from the hate Scarlet train to the love one.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Sergoros.4398

You’ll need a lot thicker skin if you expect to survive in this world if your fake world is offending you.

So…do you like playing a game with puke jokes and with story for 10 year old? Why you keep playing in guild wars 2? They changed everything. The only thing, thats common between them is lore. And they screwing it. Whats holding ya?

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

I was going to make a bad salad joke, but now I don’t feel like it.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

This poor Human NPC is grateful that Scarlet’s gone. Are you going to pick a fight with him during his anger and grieving and tell him he’s wrong? That would be in bad taste.

This Norn is quite bitter towards her as well.

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

I don’t pity Scarlet.

But when Marjory asked me how I felt, I planned on delivering the most sober answer. Unfortunately ANet didn’t seem to think our character had some kind of respect for the dead and gave us 3 cheesy choices.

i actually tried clicking on the small ‘x’ near the character’s image.. it works but the story doesn’t continue unless you go back and click one of those 3 cheeseball responses

also, doesn’t taimi arrive shortly after and ask “what’s so funny” ?
pretty much to convey the notion “oh, it takes the arrival of a younger one for the adults of the guild to realize they’re being less than mature”

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

(edited by cheshirefox.7026)

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I wish there was a less “cheesy” response as well, but sine there wasn’t one, oh, well.

The fact of the matter is that we have all laughed at times we shouldn’t. Especially if you’ve read any of the “Darwin Awards” deaths.

Sometimes, the more stressful the situation, the more outrageous the humor when it’s over. I know a lot of military personnel who have seen horrid things, and they laugh at things that you and I would think horrid.

In DE 2.0’s case, they’ve just seen one of the most important places in their lives utterly destroyed. I’ll forgive them their humor on this one.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

So…do you like playing a game with puke jokes and with story for 10 year old? Why you keep playing in guild wars 2? They changed everything. The only thing, thats common between them is lore. And they screwing it. Whats holding ya?

You keep making that comparison without backing it up. Show me these alleged “puke jokes.” Expand your post. Prove your statements.

Alternatively you can choke down that Scarlet Burger mail we just got and deal with it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Stomping scarlet was like pulling out a dandelion and getting the whole root too… lol

Best part of that instance, hands down. She was an evil psychotic mass murderer, let the jokes flow!

Posted by: lazarus.1639

lazarus.1639

I laughed.

15 chars

Attachments:

Posted by: AkkiChan.7164

AkkiChan.7164

DING DONG, the witch is dead! Celebrate the death of a raving lunatic, a mass murderer and a danger for tens of thousands more if we wouldn’t have put her to the blade.

I will happily laugh in the face of those who frown about it and go all hero-mode about how we might have saved her.

That woman was moving source of death and destruction. Wherever we follow her trace, there was NOTHING but death, destruction and utter chaos, with each little step growing and growing in danger until we faced a level where allowing her to go on would have been nothing but just as insane as she is.

I don’t give a kitten rats kitten about if she was in possession of her own mind or not. There is a level of magnitude where this simply stops being a point of argument. She caused the death of untold thousands of civilians all around the world. Thousands? Tens of thousands? The mere notion to apply a chance of redemption to a “creature” like that is unthinkable.

What would you do? Free her mind of that corruption? Lock “Scarlet” away and bring her former self back? What good will that do? Will that undo what she has done? Good luck getting that note out to the public, to the untold families who have lost loved ones because of her acts. She would be unable to go ANYWHERE in the world without being torn apart by a vengeful mob.

Put her in prison? That insane mastermind who has shown time after time again she is borderline mary sue perfect in EVERYTHING she touches? With a following of thousands across several factions with no reliable way to tell if they are loyal enough to come for her?
Where would you put her? Vigils Keep? What if her followers DO come for her? Twelve preserve us all if they do.

And even if we would have captured her alive.. The civilians of the world WILL call for her head, and what else then blood would sate their thirst for vengeance against the woman that destroyed thousands of lives.

No matter how we spin it, Scarlet was doomed. Let her die there and brand her as the ruthless, uncaring , psychopathic monster she was. What she was died long ago. Let’s stay with that and celebrate the death of a demon in a way it is fitting, with song and celebration.

This creature doesn’t deserve a single shred of our pity. She drowned that right in the blood of untold innocents.

[Edit: Typos]

A mesmer is more then clones and trickery.

(edited by AkkiChan.7164)

Sergoros.4398

You keep making that comparison without backing it up. Show me these alleged “puke jokes.” Expand your post. Prove your statements.

Alternatively you can choke down that Scarlet Burger mail we just got and deal with it.

It was your words. I guess, someone lied to make his statement sound better? Its fine. I forgive you.

Sergoros.4398

No matter how we spin it, Scarlet was doomed. Let her die there and brand her as the ruthless, uncaring , psychopathic monster she was. What she was died long ago. Let’s stay with that and celebrate the death of a demon in a way it is fitting, with song and celebration.

This creature doesn’t deserve a single shred of our pity. She drowned that right in the blood of untold innocents.

[Edit: Typos]

No one here said, that we wanted to save her. Her death was inevitable. But it doesnt mean, that after her death we should become uncaring monster as she was. There was tragedy in her story and our hero knew it. He read her diary.

And Il repeat. Until we know full story, we can’t fully comprehend what happened yet. It still might be, that she killed thousands, but saved millions.

Posted by: KDXX.9520

KDXX.9520

Affection/Liking Someone: An emotional bond formulated by a mutual agreement of preferences, symbiosis, and general good will. Based on personable interaction between 2 or more parties.

Respect: An aspect in formal moral codes specifically provided to hold oneself accountable for one’s own actions and virtues, regardless of the actions of any other party, within a reasonable scope.

People seem to have a serious issue separating these two concepts. Respect has no physical boundaries, none. It applies to all situations, and at all times. So when people say “it’s just a game,” in reference to interactions with other people, the obvious and immediate counter argument is “the fact it’s a game doesn’t absolve you of social responsibility.”

However, we are trying to regard the actions of an avatar, a representation of self on a separate, virtual, plane of existence. As such, two arguements unfold.

1. The Options Argument:

What is trying to be expressed is a wish for a broad spectrum of responses that encompass multiple play styles, in an RPG setting for various types of characters. For example, if you have a character you “see” as immature, and in bad taste" you want answers to the Scarlet Question that fit you character. This choice to play as a bad guy has no relevance to your moral compass, since it’s an active decision to play a certain character a certain way.

2. The Amorality Argument:

In this case, the issue rises when the person behind the avatar plays the avatar as an extension of self. I.e They find fundamentally no issue with the choices from a personal or roleplaying perspective. What this can in fact imply is that the user in question therefore has no issue with jokes in poor taste, or of poor timing. In turn this leads to a natural questioning of their moral stature, since and individual of higher moral intent would regard themselves above such disrespectful behavior.

Conclusion:

Please note, the fundamental requisite here is Respect, not Admiration. Scarlet was a kitten-ing psychopathic mass murderer. She got what she deserved. Personally, I’d have stood there and twisted the javelins in, if only to provide some greater sense of retribution for all those slain. But once the deed is done, there’s nothing more to that, and I certainly wouldn’t have cracked jokes about it after the fact.

Why? Because I, as a person, would not appreciate those victorious over me at any point to be just as disrespectful. That’s the only reason necessary, thought to many it doesn’t make sense. History is written by the victors, the addendum of right and wrong are written by historians.

(edited by KDXX.9520)

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I don’t see a problem. In game, i have already killed and stomped countless enemies. What is 1 more scarlet?

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

This is hilarious. Oversensitive people find everything to be bad taste. Maybe people feel “over promoting” homosexual relationship is a bad taste when they started “need more heterosexual relationship” thread. And this thread is even worse.

Let’s stop being silly and realize: Marjory and Kasmeer are the mortal enemies of Scarlet and Scarlet’s death being satisfactory is proper and logical. Dislike these fictional characters all you want, but let’s not adding more faults to the list of reasons why LS is badly written, especially when it’s not actually a fault.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

I don’t pity Scarlet.

But when Marjory asked me how I felt, I planned on delivering the most sober answer. Unfortunately ANet didn’t seem to think our character had some kind of respect for the dead and gave us 3 cheesy choices.

And what is worse with this ending, is that it’s not an ending. Yeah sure, we killed Scarlet. So what ? Lion’s Arch is completely destroyed, hundreds are dead/missing, we have no information on what her armies will become and most importantly she achieved her goal of waking up a dragon.

In the end, everything we did for a year resulted in us failing to stop her from killing an entire city and waking up yet another dragon.
Yeah, I wasn’t really into a celebratory mood.

THIS.
I just found that scene too unconvincingly lighthearted, considering we ultimately failed at our goal of keeping Tyria safe. Cause we didn’t accomplish much by killing the villain who reached her goals. Instead, without finding out more from her, so that we may have some understanding of what’s going on, we made our own jobs more difficult (gee, tnx Broham). But DE 2.0 seem too stupid /shallow to realise this (= poorly thought out characters).

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Sergoros.4398

This is hilarious. Oversensitive people find everything to be bad taste. Maybe people feel “over promoting” homosexual relationship is a bad taste when they started “need more heterosexual relationship” thread. And this thread is even worse.

Let’s stop being silly and realize: Marjory and Kasmeer are the mortal enemies of Scarlet and Scarlet’s death being satisfactory is proper and logical. Dislike these fictional characters all you want, but let’s not adding more faults to the list of reasons why LS is badly written, especially when it’s not actually a fault.

As many times was said in this thread, its fine that marjory and the rust have no tact. The problems is that our hero is forced to answer like he is no better. Instead of 3 different ways to answer (1st rude, that we have. 2nd neutral and 3-rd good), we have 3 kinds of the same cheesy answer. And this is a kitten.

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

I agree. The giggles, cheers and toasting felt awkward considering the aftermath. Yes, Scarlet is gone but I can’t turn a blind eye to all that we lost in the war against her. Any celebration was overshadowed by LA in shambles and let’s not forget the sight of a now half-tarnished, but previously beautiful leveling zone, Kessex Hills.

Posted by: Recalibar.6482

Recalibar.6482

If you have such sympathy for Scarlet, why not her armies?

Relevant link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatMeasureIsAMook

Sergoros.4398

“Why? Because Red Shirts and Mooks are not generally seen as people. After all, they lack a name and other distinguishing characteristics (sometimes they don’t even get a face), so they also have no identity or soul. "

I like this answer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Depends on which army. Generally speaking, none of them are sympathetic; we’ve got 2 factions of religious zealots, communist zealots, robots, psychopathic and probably dragon-addled rebels, and pirates. Those guys all made their own bed. If they showed any sign of repentance or any indication that they were acting outside of their own control, I’d be more sympathetic.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Recalibar.6482

Recalibar.6482

Depends on which army. Generally speaking, none of them are sympathetic; we’ve got 2 factions of religious zealots, communist zealots, robots, psychopathic and probably dragon-addled rebels, and pirates. Those guys all made their own bed. If they showed any sign of repentance or any indication that they were acting outside of their own control, I’d be more sympathetic.

My question is; is Scarlet really any better?

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

My question is; is Scarlet really any better?

I’d probably say yes. Instead of entering or remaining with those societies by choice, Scarlet didn’t really have a ‘choice’ about going mad. It’s not even clear when exactly she started losing control of her perception of reality.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

I’m not going to post my opinions on Scarlet’s death, but I will agree the three lines we were given were ridiculous.

I sat there looking at them for a good moment, shaking my head. This is suppose to be an RPG MMO right? Well, my character would have never said ANY of those lines. To be fully honest, she would have rolled her eyes and told Jory to shut her mouth, that clearly something is amiss and we should be doing work instead of sitting around giggling.

All three lines were terrible.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

Posted by: ViralVarda.2739

ViralVarda.2739

Skritt-brained idiot.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

Having dealt with tragedy and death for years in one of my lines of work, some words from my other line of work seems always appropriate in these situations:

“And if I laugh at any mortal thing, ’Tis that I may not weep” – Don Juan
Canto IV – Byron

Just my two coppers worth,

This is how I think my Sylvari viewed the laughter. He picked the “like pulling a dandelion and getting the root” option, which was very much meant not as a joke in my mind, but a sad metaphor for what he had to do – kill a living piece of the garden to prevent it from killing the flowers and grass. And it wasn’t as messy as he thought (digging for the roots).

When everyone laughed I think it might have made my boy sylvari quite sad. He didn’t mean it to be funny. I was actually really angry. But Marjory had nearly died and Scarlet’s actions made it clear she’d kill them before giving them the time of day… plus recalling a string of life or death situations over drinks leads to a strange mix of sadness and laughter. And to be fair it was a really apt analogy and very fitting coming from a sylvari about a sylvari. So I think he’s made his peace with their lightheartedness. They had somehow come through all that with their lives, despite Scarlet’s best attempts at making it otherwise. They all deserve a laugh, especially Jory.

The other responses were semi-terrible. I would have liked something that said, “She was mentally ill, she was not herself. I don’t regret my actions but I don’t want to joke about murdering someone that could have been me in another life.”

If anything, being lauded for the murder is the worst thing to him, though, worse than admitting you feel something positive in the face of so much death. Instead of how he’s helped countless citizens, he’s known for one murder. Ugh that rubbed my little sylvari absolutely the wrong way when Magnus shouted that praise at Fort Marriner. Though, I think it’ll help him in the future; at least one person is willing to give that sylvari some “good PR” considering the swell in anti-sylvari sentiment that’s going around.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

(edited by kimeekat.2548)

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Though not in this case, in some works of fiction you can see better examples of morals than in real life.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)