22 Chests opened, nothing unique

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Raydaq.5421

Raydaq.5421

The only scary thing about this event is the RNG gambling system for rewards and the hope that this is not repeated.

GW2 is supposed to be about FUN, not emptying my wallet into a RNG.

I’d be fine with the RNG system for a couple skins ONLY if they were clearly stated to be ultra rare, AND if their were another set of skins that were more common.

Or if the skins had to be crafted and one of the mats could be gathered (but you would need a lot) OR you could buy chests and get stacks of 5x, 10x, or 15x which would help you obtain your goal to craft the skin.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Azoetia.2183

Azoetia.2183

“Entitled” is a hilarious word bandied about constantly by fake libertarians who crow about “personal responsibility” even in the most bizarre and inapplicable contexts. Business is a two-way street, even though these folks are ideologically committed to not seeing that with ridiculous conviction. Unless you’re specifically demanding a refund or threatening a chargeback despite not having been lied to, you’re actually exercising personal responsibility by complaining and refusing to continue making purchases.

If you’re a customer of a business you have every right to complain if you think you’ve been mistreated or that the product blows (sometimes a product is exactly as advertised but it still sucks or has an aspect that sucks.) You also have every right not to continue giving money to that business. Period. Let the business determine on their own whether or not they need you to keep buying gems. Don’t keep reaching for your credit card because some internet nobody told you “blah blah blah you’re entitled and want stuff for free for your money because I only comprehend one kind of argument” and treated your decision like it’s something shameful. If you don’t like how something is going, then vote with your wallet and make sure they know why you made that decision. If enough people feel the same way it will make a difference. And if you’re unreasonable and your expectation is marginal then it won’t.

Telling the devs “I think the drop rate on these skins should be higher” or “I think I should be able to buy the skins in the gem shop outright” isn’t unreasonable, but it’s not what ANet think will make them the most money. They think you’ll keep buying BLC keys from the gem store. If the gems-for-a-tiny-chance approach puts people off of buying gems and sales plummet after this enormous initial surge, then they won’t do it again, because they know a huge short term gain isn’t worth destroying customer trust in the long run. If you succeed they may find that it’s more profitable to just sell cool stuff that folks want outright without the RNG. However, if you complain but keep on buying crap they’ll happily keep taking your money, changing nothing at all, and you will have nobody else to blame for that but yourself.

That’s actual personal responsibility. Not the “take what you get and shut your mouth” approach these fakers are espousing.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: spellchekc.5409

spellchekc.5409

thank you. I know I was personally upset over how the chests + keys were handled, and it’s really been the first time I’ve felt anything not-positive towards the game.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Most of the people probably wouldn’t have had an issue with the drop rate if the skins dropped from the treat bags, like how subscription-based MMOs work. If you really wanted them, you could spend the time to obtain them – by playing the game. This way, they are seen as rare drops.

The problem is, you have to buy keys and odds are, you could spend more than a years subscription and still not get one, or at least, the one you wanted. They’re no longer seen as rare drops since you’re paying for them. I know I would only buy keys in an attempt to get the skins, because frankly, the general contents of the boxes (boosters and tonics) are completely useless. Now imagine wanting to obtain a unique skin for every holiday event and how much that would cost.

If their goal was to actually make money off of this and not just keep it rare, it completely backfired for me at least. The second I heard about the drop rate I decided not to try at all, since in general, I’m very unlucky. If their goal was to make money, I would think selling a box with a random skin in it would have sold more, with the currently expensive ones being more rare than the others.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

@Azoetia

“voting with your wallet” doesn’t really apply with it comes to real money stores in MMOs.

There are people who play thousands of dollars each month in Maple Story just to get a tiny stat bonus(literally less than 1%) because of anomaly with paid stat resets.

Even if most people think it’s stupid to pay $1000 to do 0.5% more damage and never spend that kind of money on the game, the people who do pay for it will keep doing it forever and that’s how Nexon is such a successful company.

The real question is how many people really want Guild Wars to be that kind of game?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

Even with this though? I wouldn’t mind one off dynamic event rewards, year round super rare BLC skins/items, super rare hidden rewards like the books, stuff like that year round.

Just given better presentation! Odds that fit the time zone allotted for the item! You name it. I really hope this doesn’t put off Anet’s plans ‘n’ style for the one off dynamic events to come. These are things I’d still like to see even if the way these BLC skins alone seemed to be done.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

Precisely, all this white knighting saying that you do get items from chests and therefore should be happy with them are completely missing the point, the default items from chests are junk, the only reason people actually bought keys to open the chests was for this event only and the drop rate is not acceptable at all.

People spend months worth of subscription fee on a very lousy chance to get some items, fair? Hardly and if no one disagrees with anet’s policies, it’ll probably be like this every other event and where are we at? either mass grind or barely get anything

(edited by Kaderin.7584)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: inkjay.5723

inkjay.5723

Hopefully people will learn not to spend dumb amounts of money on what are basically slot machines. ANET is not above those F2P practices, so I wonder why people thought they were. In any case, they are only cosmetic crap at least-

in Halloween Event

Azoetia.2183

Healix: “If their goal was to actually make money off of this and not just keep it rare, it completely backfired for me at least. The second I heard about the drop rate I decided not to try at all, since in general, I’m very unlucky. If their goal was to make money, I would think selling a box with a random skin in it would have sold more, with the currently expensive ones being more rare than the others.”

This is how I feel. I haven’t blown any money on keys but I would probably throw some money at two or three of the weapon skins outright in the gem shop, or even on the sort of RNG you described above. But I won’t pay 50gp for weapon skins, and I especially won’t pay for enough gems to buy that much gold. So if they want my money there’s a way to get it and this isn’t it. I’ll take the witch’s costume, though, since that’s sold outright and not RNG. Gotta support the approach you’d prefer, not just punish the one you hate.

in Halloween Event

Azoetia.2183

@Azoetia

“voting with your wallet” doesn’t really apply with it comes to real money stores in MMOs.

There are people who play thousands of dollars each month in Maple Story just to get a tiny stat bonus(literally less than 1%) because of anomaly with paid stat resets.

Even if most people think it’s stupid to pay $1000 to do 0.5% more damage and never spend that kind of money on the game, the people who do pay for it will keep doing it forever and that’s how Nexon is such a successful company.

The real question is how many people really want Guild Wars to be that kind of game?

That’s why I also say use the forums to complain, as well as any other means of correspondence available. Customer complaints can make a difference and there’s nothing wrong with voicing your opinion on what you got for your money. And I should also say spend gems on stuff that you think is priced reasonably (for me this is the town clothes; they’re a little pricey but you know you’re getting what you’re gunning for, no screwing around) while not paying for stupid stuff (BLC keys, with an infinitesimal chance to score a skin.)

But you know, if none of that works, well, you’re kind of out of options and don’t really have any means for control anyway. So at that point it doesn’t matter what kind of game you want. I just don’t think that’s the case here. We’re already seeing the devs respond to the complaints.

(edited by Azoetia.2183)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Jorn Wolfgang.3712

I have to partly agree with Stark as someone who bought a kitten load of LoN packs in EQ2. I have one heck of a decorated house to show for it though.

I don’t expect to get skins out of this. They should be rare I agree with this as well. I did however think other random halloween trash would have been in the chests. From recipes to candy and so on. The chance of getting one of the skins should be rare but without the trash items or lower end stuff it is not really up to snuff. As I said above and in my post earlier I bought LoN (Legend of Norrath) cards like a fiend. The chance of gettings a rare mount, cloak or house was slim you just had hope. You did however get the regular cards if you played the game along with low tier loot like cloaks, illusions, funny hats, etc… Now here it is my own fault for thinking when I read the notes it said skins and halloween items. I blew $50 honestly I have spent more in other games and in life just tooling around for fun. Assumption is the mother of all kitten ups.

I truly hope they do not hand out skins like candy. Reading the update above I hope it is just trading the normal trash items in chests for Halloween trash items.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

I don’t think Anet should cave in and outright “give” the skins, but at the same time I don’t agree with the very lousy drop rate of said skins, this isn’t about wanting things easy or simply given but wanting a reasonable opportunity to get them, many who disagree with this like to say “dont like it dont buy it” and yet recognize that the drop chance by itself is not worth the purchase, isnt that in itself the issue?

Also, I notice many posts calling people who express their opinions “self entitled kids” and thats rude and immature, people who have a problem with the BLC may not all be expressing themselves properly but at least they are simply trying to point out something they think is wrong, a opposite opinion of yours doesn’t automatically translate to others being kids or to take what people say to the extreme to prove your own misguided point, I don’t agree that saying “the drop chance is too low” as the same as “I want free stuff without doing anything” for example.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

@buzzkapow I can understand disappointment. But ‘not being fairly compensated for the money we invested’ ? I’m being totally serious. This is what happened. Whether their policy was right or wrong, you and everybody else invested money in ‘A chance to receive a special skin from a black lion chest’.

You can’t base an argument on what you and everybody else assumed they meant. You don’t have a leg to stand on in this matter. The reason is, you obviously either assumed it would be a high drop rate(why did you do that), or you were sceptical which begs the question why go ahead with the purchase.

You and everyone else, again, used your money for a chance to receive a skin. So that means you knew that, normal chest contents aside, you would either get a skin, or not.

So now the skin doesn’t drop, and we have incredibly angry people telling Anet they are dishonest, greedy, etc. Looking at this rationally and logically, Anet did nothing wrong, and you made the purchase. Could Anet possibly revise the chest contents to add fillers? Yeah sure they could, but they did not, and you still bought the item in full knowledge you only had a chance. There is no basis to complain for not receiving a skin because you did not pay for one.

My thing is you open 5 and get nothing haloweeny, I would be like OMG this is bugged and stop. Or I would go to the forums and check with others, why on earth would you crack 50+? Wait a minute this chest is not giving me anything but the usual stuff, I probably should stop buying keys. Buying 1 I get , buying 5 I get, anymore than that you have to fault yourself and not Anet, IMO.

I do think they should compensate folks that bought over a certain amount of chests with something. (tokens?)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lorath.2504

Lorath.2504

Well let me tell you something.

Neither the world, nor the game revolves around your little halloween skins. It was a gamble. You knew it. You lost. Deal with it.

It revolves around money. And things are quite simple in this case. You really dont want to kitten off your key customers – the people with jobs, who dont hog server resources playing 24/7, have disposable income and are willing to drop $50 on some colorful pixels in your game.

If anyone lost in this situation it was AN.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

Wanna know something ironic?

I lost 30 bucks. You can see me throughout the first 10 pages of this thread putting in my two cents about it.

So I farmed candy corn. For hours.

Guess what.

I’m now the proud owner of the ghastly grinning shield.

:)

^ this. pretty much. Chests were not meant to be the only thing in this event; they were focal because they require no effort other than purchasing a key. (or some cheap chests off of the TP) So I don’t know, people wanted something for nothing (or rather cash for instant gratification) and lost. I don’t believe that Anet handled this great, but let’s be honest if you spent $100’s on this, you have to take some responsibility!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mushy.3964

Mushy.3964

42 chests & a crappy level 6 set of shoulders.

Note to self don’t waste money on the Gem store in future.

Officer of Vitas
WvW Squad Leader

in Halloween Event

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

I find it kinda odd peeps call all the stuff in the BLC trash as even at max level some of it has uses. It may not be what we wanted.. However that does not make it pure trash. While I do agree during events it needs to be changed and or done better. It has to be kinda =/ for poor Anet that everyone is calling one of their main lil sell items pure trash. =/

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mikee.5078

Mikee.5078

I opened fifty-two chests and got nothing halloween-related, let alone a weapon skin. Lesson learned, I suppose — no more gem store for me.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Naracion.6597

Naracion.6597

I spent money on keys for the chests and I did not get anything. I posted that I was disappointed and that I most likely would most likely not spend money on rng stuff again from arena net. Its not entitlement….simple cause and effect. I believe that a number of people feel the same way. Arena net has choices for how they want to deal with this situation. They could have done nothing and most likely have people not spend money in the future because of the experience. Another option is to do something else to try to provide some positive reinforcement to try encouraging people to spend money in their store so they can continue to make money and provide awesome content.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hinoreth.5978

Hinoreth.5978

It’s a lottery that you pay real cash for, and they don’t have the odds of winning detailed anywhere so that folks can make an informed decision. Isn’t that illegal in the US?

Regardless, it’s better to just use the keys you find in the world and see what luck you have, and then sell off extra chests so that they don’t fill up your bank.

in Halloween Event

Azoetia.2183

Chests were not meant to be the only thing in this event; they were focal because they require no effort other than purchasing a key. (or some cheap chests off of the TP)

Or because they legitimately really like the items a lot. That’s how I feel. I really want that scythe staff for my necro. I don’t even care if every other player in the game has it, I want it because it fits the character I’ve built, and I want the scythe appearance to be permanent, not just when fighting. For my necro the only armor I even like is the dry bones karma set. I’m in the process of acquiring my exotic gear now, and I’ll be using fine transmutation stones to make it look the way I want, instead of sticking with the relatively rare exotic set appearance it comes with. It’s not even about showing off, just having the look I specifically want.

So yeah, I think plenty of people want these things because they’re just freakin’ cool. I mean, come on, a giant chainsaw greatsword? Its absurdity just makes it even more awesome. There’s a reason that two of the skins cost 40-50g on the trading post and the others are about 10g apiece. People want the cool ones and don’t want the lame ones, even if they’re rare, even if they initially thought it would be easy to get them.

Still, as much as I want that scythe, the avenues for getting it are not worth it to me, so unless something changes I’ll go without.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dredlockrasta.8269

Dredlockrasta.8269

Should the skins be hard to get? Yeah, I think so, but I think they should have been a reward from the series of quests throughout the week, and you would only be able to chose 1 skin per character.

The chests in my opinion simply do not get people into the season, or force people to work together, they are simply a moneygrab tactic.

Personally I have used my last 20g I had saved on 25 chests, and I have nothing to show for it, and I have a feeling that the people who post things like “its random, you knew that when you tried it” are the same people who get skins on their first time. Please try going on a 25 chest coldstreak and saying that.

The way it stands right now, these skins are just another way for the rich elite people with tons of gold to hoard more items to sell at a later date for even more gold.

in Halloween Event

Azoetia.2183

It’s a lottery that you pay real cash for, and they don’t have the odds of winning detailed anywhere so that folks can make an informed decision. Isn’t that illegal in the US?

No, because they’re not paying out real money.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

Should the skins be hard to get? Yeah, I think so, but I think they should have been a reward from the series of quests throughout the week, and you would only be able to chose 1 skin per character.

The chests in my opinion simply do not get people into the season, or force people to work together, they are simply a moneygrab tactic.

Personally I have used my last 20g I had saved on 25 chests, and I have nothing to show for it, and I have a feeling that the people who post things like “its random, you knew that when you tried it” are the same people who get skins on their first time. Please try going on a 25 chest coldstreak and saying that.

The way it stands right now, these skins are just another way for the rich elite people with tons of gold to hoard more items to sell at a later date for even more gold.

I doubt that anybody is making dependable profit on these items. None of them are game changers right now, and in the history of cosmetic markets, no item that is made available every year becomes hugely expensive on the trading post.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dredlockrasta.8269

Dredlockrasta.8269

I doubt that anybody is making dependable profit on these items. None of them are game changers right now, and in the history of cosmetic markets, no item that is made available every year becomes hugely expensive on the trading post.

Give it about a month or 2 after the event ends, and I bet you the scythe will be worth 100g +, GW2 does not have the same fanbase as GW1, and the market is not comparable.

in Halloween Event

Hinoreth.5978

The Age of Entitlement

Why don’t you try refunding your lottery tickets at the gas station after you scratch it off and see how well that goes.

What you “expect” or think you “deserve” to get out of the chests is irrelevant. At no point did Anet give any expectations as to the drop rate of the items in the chest, nor did they force you to open any chests.

You made a conscious decision to buy keys, based on whatever preconceived notions you had concerning the drop rate of items, which ultimately ended up being far removed from reality.

It’s your own fault for making assumptions and impulsively acting on it, especially if doing so was outside of what you could reasonably afford.

The difference is, the lottery has in multiple places, including on the ticket itself, there are very clearly disclosed odds of winning. If you look at those odds and say “Heck with it, it’s just a $1, I’ll try anyway,” then you’ve no right to complain when you lose. Even scratch tickets, which is kinda what this is like, has clearly disclosed odds for winning at each prize level.

With the chests in the game, odds of winning are not disclosed at all, and the hype leading up to the event made it seem that there was a very good chance that players would get something holiday-themed when opening chests, when in actuality the odds are very poor. Had folks known that it was more likely than not that they would receive just regular items, they would have been less likely to buy keys in the shop.

This is why ANet purposefully omitted the odds of winning while at the same time hyping up the activity. That’s very shady business, and quite frankly in this instance, consumers have every right to complain about it.

in Halloween Event

Hinoreth.5978

Azoetia.2183

Hinoreth.5978:

If they paid cash for the gems they are.

in Halloween Event

kaffaljidhma.1496

GW1 had an infant cash market. I’m talking about the games that established the core thesis and have done this all before. As soon as people learn how the system works, they’ll stop and think about how much they actually want to spend on a weapon skin that doesn’t have juicy aftereffect visuals. A month or two after the event is also when the Thanksgiving and Christmas events start, where the demand for novel items will wash this chainsword frenzy right down the drain.

As of right now, we don’t even have something like a commemorative celestial, which was a once-in-twelve-years kind of thing.

in Halloween Event

kaffaljidhma.1496

Azoetia.2183

Hinoreth.5978:

If they paid cash for the gems they are.

You can’t pay gems for cash.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bane FTW.4795

Bane FTW.4795

20 chests opened. No skins, not even a karma boost.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vegas.5790

Vegas.5790

I thought the whole chest thing was a money grab before this event. Other than some nice salvage kits, nothing else was of any use to me (never spent a dime, only used dropped keys). I think the reason it stings so much more now is the ‘skin’ enticement and lack of communication on the odds. It’s one thing to make something difficult to obtain, quite another to make it extremely expensive in real money. So instead of spending money on keys, I went and bought the witch outfit and am happy with that. I know that doesn’t help with the weapon skins (which do look really nice), but I’m writing that off as a money grab I chose not to participate in.

This whole “Anet is looking into it” thing… well, I’m not hopeful. Any one with half a brain could see this coming, and Anet has a lot of brains, so I figure someone knew.

That isn’t to put down the game at all. I really enjoy it a lot. It’s just that things like this can really hurt a rep.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arche.7489

Arche.7489

No Azoetia, acting entitled is EXACTLY what you people are doing. You were promised NOTHING but the chance. It doesn’t matter if you spent $5 or $500, no one twisted your arm to gamble on the chests. You don’t raise hell at a casino if you lose all your money. Well, you don’t ig you were any kind of reasonable adult, which its blatantly obvious a lot of people here are not.

If you don’t like how it was done, don’t participate again. The only reason there are so many people complaining is because they didn’t get what they wanted because of random chance. But kittening to Anet because they didn’t give you the toy you wanted is childish.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

In the end it’s Anet’s decision, and this decision now involves giving people who bought BLCs a different alternative to getting halloween themed items. They may not even be the same skins for all we know, so I would wait and see before giving a knee-jerk reaction. : )

Thank you Regina for the update. You guys have great communication, and I’m grateful for those getting a second opportunity for halloween goodies.^^

(edited by Nimmi.1650)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: senoph.2930

senoph.2930

Yes, that is what people are saying. “I will not be doing this again because it was a waste, and here is why.” I don’t think anyone has said “I deserve this,” or “I deserve that.” They’re saying they’re unhappy with the way the chests were handled, and that means they won’t be spending money on events like this in the future. It has nothing to do with being entitled, unless you’re proposing that we should just keep giving out our money regardless of whether we feel it is worth it. The comparisons to a casino are shaky at best, as well, as are the arguments that nobody forced you to do a thing. That doesn’t absolve ArenaNet of its mistakes, just as it wouldn’t give any of us that feel we wasted a money a free pass to say that they fooled or deceived us. I think a lot of people in this thread that are complaining want to give ArenaNet more money. We just want to get something for it, if the impetus is, “items for a limited time.”

What is truly childish is to say, “Shut up! Stop complaining!” to adults who have jobs, and who are voicing their displeasure. We aren’t organizing a boycott or threatening any legal action (well, most of us aren’t.) We’re explaining why we won’t be buying gems and keys like this in the future. A real child would plug their ears and simply repeat the same sound over and over in opposition to that. Adults deal with the reality of the situation, which is fewer repeat customers make a big difference in this business model.

in Halloween Event

kaffaljidhma.1496

I don’t really want a situation where the draw to buy keys is so pervasive that it becomes the definitive model of how to enjoy the game. There has to be a balance struck for people who would rather not buy keys yet want to fit in with the majority of players.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Don Zardeone.8730

Don Zardeone.8730

7 keys 2 skins

15 characters

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

Have you guys ever collected the toys inside chocolates? Cards that come with purchase? If you have then you know that the whole skin in chest with low drop rate is nothing new. If you don’t want to play, you don’t have to but this is hardly a controversial concept.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: suprNovae.5410

suprNovae.5410

omg I spent like 10 gold for just 10 keys. Another key dropped from a chest. But at all i got no skin! You already have my money Anet. I don’t care anymore how you want to improve the chest. Im done. Im a casual gamer and that’s all I had. I guess I need to be one of those who has hundreds of golds and one of those cursed shore farmers to buy enough chest to have a real chance. gg

Clint B E Eastwood – Guardian
Callous Philosophy [LaG]
† Good Old Days [GD]

in Halloween Event

kaffaljidhma.1496

You realize that you can buy all the pauldrons or a couple of the weapon skins with 10 gold, right?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

52 keys. one item.

having read this thread first i actually put on all of my magic find gear. no idea if it would help – 104%. apparantly it did not.

really, really terrible drop rate.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

ReginaBuenaobra.6953:

Hey, everyone. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the team has taken on board your feedback and concerns.

We’d recommend not throwing away or selling the items you’ve been receiving in the Black Lion Chests, as we’ll be providing ways in which those items can be used to obtain Halloween-related items…

We’ll have further updates when they become available.

Thank you again for all your feedback.

Well, hell. I really hope that they’re DIFFERENT Halloween based items, since I made the “smart” decision to just spend my savings on outright buying some of these skins.

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaden.3162

Kaden.3162

im interested to see how this is going to work since what you get from those chests were things like gathering tools, boosters and tonics or other garbage you can pick up for nothing, so if we could trade the tools for example why not just buy some from a vendor and say kitten i got these in a chest.

and given the amount you get, i wonder how ripped off the conversions will be, like i opened 20+ chests and have 30ish tonics, how many tonics would be needed to get something. this idea while im grateful is being looked at seems like it needs to be well thought out this time.

and given the last screw up im a little more cynical this time around, understandably.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Stora Ge.9207

Stora Ge.9207

As someone who has spent and embarrassing amount of money in the gem store, and for this event bought 61 keys and got pretty much crap, I can safely say that I won’t be putting any real money into the gem store for anything that doesn’t have odds posted. I kept opening them because I wanted to see what the Halloween items were before spoilers appeared. Turned out the spoiler was the drop rate. So Anet, if you’re listening, check out how many $$$ I’ve put in your pockets over the past 7-8 years, and into your gem store over the past 2 months, and then think to yourselves how much money you may have cost yourselves by being stingy with pixels. At the right balance (and quality of items), I would have bought more chests from the TP and more keys from the store.

BTW, I’d like to buy stuff with gems for other players (minis and clothing mainly). Is it too much to ask to make some things not account bound, but make it so they can’t be sold on the TP? Or make it so you can specify a delivery mailbox for the items so they are account-bound to the giftee?

in Halloween Event

Azoetia.2183

Arche: I haven’t paid gems for keys, and thus I haven’t lost out on the gamble.

Again, it’s simple: ANet is doing this because they view it as more profitable than other methods. A really low chance of success, real money cost to take a shot, and people paying even more to buy gems to convert to gold to buy them outright off the trading post all equals lots of money. If people stop buying gems with real money out of disgust then ANet has miscalculated. If people keep buying them then they haven’t. Telling a company what you will and will not pay for in the future is not entitlement, it’s business. Now, demanding a refund when you haven’t actually been deceived, that’s different.

Hinoreth: No, I mean that the game doesn’t pay out real money rewards to the players. If it did then that would be actual gambling. You can convert real cash to gems, gems to gold, and gold to gems, but not gems to cash. Your paying money in is just an investment in your own entertainment, with no chance of a cash return. You can’t get rich playing the game, except with in-game currency.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

im interested to see how this is going to work since what you get from those chests were things like gathering tools, boosters and tonics or other garbage you can pick up for nothing, so if we could trade the tools for example why not just buy some from a vendor and say kitten i got these in a chest.

and given the amount you get, i wonder how ripped off the conversions will be, like i opened 20+ chests and have 30ish tonics, how many tonics would be needed to get something. this idea while im grateful is being looked at seems like it needs to be well thought out this time.

and given the last screw up im a little more cynical this time around, understandably.

Did you even look at those items you got from the chest? They’re mostly (if not all) account bound and thus can’t be sold.

Those picks/axes/sickles can’t be bought either as they are a special kind (Black Lion kind)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: sasxa.1582

sasxa.1582

I just hope weapon skins don’t require 100 tonics or boosters (;

I was really hoping to get these skins for several characters, when I first read about the event. I opened about 30 chests, got one weapon and one shoulders skin, rest of it is stuff I rarely use. I expected we would get 1/6 skins from chests, I’d use the ones I like and trade the rest for others. But…

Really can’t support ArenaNet on this. It’s a festival, everyone participating should have something to remeber it by. Specially since it’s the first event of this kind, and I want to remeber it not as the thing that took my money, but for it’s beautiful art, fun events and cool weapon skins.

I’d also like to mention Mystic Forge recipes and ask (again) for fixed recipies, not random factor. 250 Corn+3x25 rare Festival items give recipes for rare and exotic (even masterwork? items)… Please consider separate recipes for diferent qualities- increase number of required items for higher quality, and use less (or same number as now) for lower quality. Surely Zommoros can learn more new things! (; I know this won’t happen this week, but maybe future events/content could be better. One last thing – 100 Lodestones for helloween weapon?? I can understand you don’t want to flood the market with them now, and keep them exclusive and rare, but still… aren’t candy canes suppose to be limiting factor?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Stormkitten.8219

Stormkitten.8219

Armchair game design warning.

I think making both the crafted and the dropped weapon skins so rare (in different ways) was a mistake. I believe the drop rates of the dropped skins should be set so that anyone playing through the event content normally should have at least one by the end. (‘normally’ being, at least completing the scavenger hunt, and eating enough candy corn for the monthly achievement). The crafted ones can stay rare and special.

I would change the black lion chests so that if they are opened during the event, they always give one random booster, one trick or treat bag, and three halloween themed tonics. The random skin drops would then be in the trick or treat bags along with all the other possible drops.

That way, if you open a chest during the event, you always get some event items, and the same chance at rarer stuff as for any trick or treat bag. Then people can decide if they want to open the chests now for halloween stuff, or wait until after the event, when they drop normal stuff again.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Spendrik.2961

Spendrik.2961

Just wondering about the people who gambled and won. I’m sure they’ll be quite happy with the event and not posting in these forums.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Maniac.5163

Maniac.5163

Yeah, I’m not gonna jump to conclusions. Although if skins are going to be a dime a dozen now and sell for a few silver on TP, I’ll be getting rid of mine. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but I’m not gonna cry all over the forums if it does. It just won’t have a novelty factor anymore.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

le sigh giving the whiner’s what they want isn’t going to fix the problem, I can only see it snowballing from here… “OMFG THOSE REQUIREMENTS TO GET THEM ARE RIDICULOUS HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO GET THE THING THAT I’VE BEEN WHINING ABOUT FOR THE PAST DAY? BUY MORE KEYS? I DON’T THINK SO! LOWER THE REQUIREMENTS!!! QQ.” and so on and so forth… I say leave the drop rate where it is, I foresee getting lynch mobbed…

I can’t believe a bunch of whiny kittens has twisted your arm into fixing something that isn’t broken…

bottom line as I’ve said before the BLC are worth more then key’s needed to open them, and if you spent 100’s of dollars expecting to get some cool skin out of them, and nothing else (you know the stuff that has been dropping out of them since the release of the game… which I might add are fairly useful…)and then whine that you didn’t get what you payed for you should be ashamed. The way I see it the BLC was designed to do one thing, let people who desire to use gems a neat little pack of useful items some more then others but all fairly handy if used properly, as well as something a little more cosmetic or fun to use all in one. All in all the BLC is a nice little booster pack that got a little more fluff for Halloween.

I have paid my fair share on these little goody bags, and I got everything I was expecting out of them, did I get a shiny Halloween skin? nope, but I did get some useful tools, boosters, and some fun to play around with tonics that I enjoy using in the costume brawl, etc.

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

(edited by Darknass.1903)