Post here if you GAVE UP on the Clocktower!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Alejandra Delacruz.5921

Alejandra Delacruz.5921

Just throwing in my feedback: I loved the Clocktower even though I didn’t complete it. My biggest problems were:

1. It was time limited. Throw in 3 days of many servers’ portal events being bugged (making it VERY hard to enter the MK realm), plus a hurricane for a lot of folks, and that really cuts down on the time we can try it and still get to the other content.

2. Multi-player instance. One of the biggest issues I saw were people griefing by summoning elementals and other creatures just before they go in, so you have one more large body running around.

Aside from that, the puzzle was great and I would love to see more like it. I just wish I had more time to work on it considering I couldn’t get into the MK realm for nearly 3 days.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Damion Thrakos.7129

Damion Thrakos.7129

Yeah, I’m done. It wouldn’t be nearly as bad without all the other people trying at the same time. I wish there was an option to try alone or at east turn off other people’s character models in the options menu.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sabin.4590

Sabin.4590

I think it is unfortunate that they design an event that puts you at a disadvantage based on choices you made during character creation.

I agree that this was unfortunate. But it was not intentional. When I designed the map I thought we were going to be able to have single-player instances.

Arenanet is showing its bias and bigotry against large characters, by putting in an event which results in large characters, (Norn and Char) becoming the targets of derision and scorn because the environment of the jumping puzzle puts them at a disadvantage and obscures the puzzle for others.

I do, truly feel bad about this. From the ground up, we designed our game mechanics to encourage cooperation and altruism in the community, and this JP’s mechanics broke that design aesthetic. It was an accident, but I still accept responsibility for it.

A good game designer would not design a dungeon that required you to be a certain height to shoot over an obstacle, but Arenanet seems to have no compunction telling Norn and Char tough luck when it comes to tight spaces and jumping puzzles. New players ought to be warned that the camera completely bugs out in tight spaces for large characters, and the large character models completely obscure the path in jumping puzzles.

Well, ideally we will continue tweaking our camera until this is not a problem. Throughout the development of GW2 I was very purposefully pushing the boundaries of spatial layout and mechanics, because I believe you can’t know what your limits are until you pass them. One of the themes I tried to explore in a couple places was claustrophobia. (Specifically in Troll End, which I consider to be my worst JP) I always play as the largest male Norn in these areas while I’m building and testing them. One of the reasons for pushing the limits like this is that our engine is malleable because we are an MMO, so we are always tinkering, and it’s possible to push the direction of the engine in new and interesting ways, but only if there are compelling mechanics to justify those changes. I’m one of the guys always pushing and pushing to try to discover new compelling mechanics. That means a lot of experiments. And the nature of experiments is that some fail. But I assure you, at no point have I, or anyone here, built something that totally sucks for one of the races and said, “Well, screw THOSE guys! I don’t care about Norn!”

As long as jumping puzzles are optional, that’s fine, but requiring one as they did with the Mad King fight crosses the line. If they are going to require jumping puzzles to complete regular content, then they should fix things so all players have an equal chance.

I did not consider the MK boss map as a jumping puzzle. All you are doing is dropping down. And I made it so there are MANY paths down.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

If anything you should do is actually create jumping puzzles even harder then the clock tower, maybe some more hardcore mode where the poison is much faster and 3 4 5 levels where if you loose you start from the beginning.

The thing I most enjoy about this halloween was the clock tower and it makes me sad that few players that dont even like jumping puzzles or plataform games were upset and made you change your mind on doing the puzzles, also the idea of having a lot of player doing the puzzle is awesome cause i can race against other players. The only bad thing about it was forgeting to desable those swiftness based on traits that made some players faster then others.

(edited by Sabin.4590)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: belarki.7385

belarki.7385

@Josh,

Great to see a developer in one of these threads! I just want to add that I gave up on the jumping puzzle because of time constraints: only being able to devote so much game time to the Halloween event I couldn’t afford to spend hours falling into green goop when there was a Mad King to kill and a nifty back piece to collect. I still think it’s an amazing puzzle (the first time I got over half way I was on the edge of my seat, sweating, with my heart on the verge of leaping out of my chest). I’d hence love to see it re-appear next year so that I can have another attempt at the achievement.

Keep up the great work!!!!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sabin.4590

Sabin.4590

And let me add on a few things, beating everything 100% in a game shouldnt be for casual players, being a hardcore and seing casual doing the same stuff efortless is really frustrating. Dont Change your mind about jumping event puzzles, for the christmas event make a harder one please! Make it so the Title for the completion of the event worth of something.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Gave up after 1 hour of Clock Tower. First 15 mins was LOL, next 30 mins was serious face and last 15 mins was WTF!!!!!!!!

Clock Tower: It is easy they say and the reward is good they say…..

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Void.8630

Void.8630

I gave up about an hour in. >.<

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nebiros.5612

Nebiros.5612

i had tried for 2 days at this puzzle maybe at total of 5hrs and it just wasn’t going my way, never even made it to the drop down to the chest part. I’d all but given up, but being that today it all ends I figured what the heck might as well try it a few times.

I’m glad I did I just beat it about 4mins ago, it was hard and at some times seem undoable for me but I’m glad I could power thru it finally. The boots aren’t much of anything but its the feeling of accomplishment I take from this particular puzzle.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sleepcoma.9487

Sleepcoma.9487

Josh, your puzzle was amazing! For every disgruntled jumper, there are two that loved the challenge and the thrill of completing it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Brick Mantooth.9520

Brick Mantooth.9520

And let me add on a few things, beating everything 100% in a game shouldnt be for casual players, being a hardcore and seing casual doing the same stuff efortless is really frustrating. Dont Change your mind about jumping event puzzles, for the christmas event make a harder one please! Make it so the Title for the completion of the event worth of something.

I notice that most people that post puffed up posts like this, or saying that the people with issues are just babies etc… all seem to be charr or norn. What a coincidence.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Frankly I hated it, but don’t want to discourage the making of others since some people like it. I just wish it wasn’t a requirement to complete the Halloween Special Event Achievement. That is what really causes my distress as I completed everything else and had fun doing it, but the Clock Tower just isn’t fun (for me) and the fact that it was even mentioned that it was only really for about 5% of the population makes it that much more frustrating.
Make more, but don’t make them a requirement for other achievements (or if you do, put them into the Jumping Puzzle achievement line)

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I notice that most people that post puffed up posts like this, or saying that the people with issues are just babies etc… all seem to be charr or norn. What a coincidence.

Let’s not be racist about it, whatever race they happen to be, people who make “not everything should be easy” type posts are just jerks anyways.

I just wish it wasn’t a requirement to complete the Halloween Special Event Achievement.

As has been said elsewhere, it isn’t. I completed the “over achievement” without clearing the tower. I don’t think you need the carving one either or something. You do have that annoying empty spot in the achievements list, and you don’t have the slippers, but you can clear every other Halloween achievement.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: elderan.2638

elderan.2638

People seem to hate the time limit huh. I barely do jump puzzles in general but I found the clocktower fun BECAUSE of the time limit. Believe me I gave up at first too, but I went back later, put a few hours into it, and the thing is positively easy now. I beat it 3 times in a row before I stopped. Now I want a much harder puzzle, with even better rewards of course :)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: belarki.7385

belarki.7385

elderan, I was complaining about lack of time to devote to the puzzle, given that it’s only available for a couple of weeks. Not due to the time limit itself, which is a great mechanic and adds to the thrill of the puzzle. I’d like to see more like it in-game!

:)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Silvermink.1456

Silvermink.1456

I really liked the tower. I’m ok at JPs, have completed most of them. I am not very good at the timed ones. I did not like Loreclaw at all, insta-death turns me off. Please leave puzzles as part of events and don’t make them too easy.

I do think the acid could of been tamed just a little in the beginning as too many people “died” at the cube jump. It’s a race to that point, after that you have more breathing room. There were a few obstacles that were kinda picky on how you jumped over them, that didn’t help either and if you had to jump 2 or 3 times over one you’d fail. The 5 days of availability is much to short too. Give people 2-3 weeks to do holiday activities.

It did take me hours to complete over 3 sessions, but all in all a good puzzle with a proper reward. Looking forward to the game wide loot upgrade.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Picklock.5820

Picklock.5820

I loved the challenge, whoever quit before finishing either doesn’t have the skill(which is unfortunate) or doesn’t have the perseverance in anything they probably do, in life and game or otherwise.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Brick Mantooth.9520

Brick Mantooth.9520

^ ah that must have been my problem. Not enough hubris!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fubarbox.9386

Fubarbox.9386

I know there has been a lot of ticked off people about this puzzle and maybe I will get some heat for saying this, but I loved it. I play a large character and it took me 2hrs to finally get it done, but I did do it. Looking back and knowing how frustrated it got me and how I wanted to pull out my hair, made it all worth it when I actually did it. I cannot remember the last time something in a game made me feel so accomplished. THANK YOU FOR THAT Josh Foreman!!!!

IMHO tall people are at a disadvantage, but so are short people who cannot see their jumps because of us. We are all at a disadvantage to those with those dang racial speed traits.Again this was hard, but not impossible. I loved it and I hope to see more things that are this difficult in the game. If things are so easy that there is no accomplishment in achieving it, whats the point?

Perhaps a “solo” version might be the only thing I would change in the future…but that’s just me wanting it a tad easier lol. Thank you very much Arenanet and I am sorry for those who gave up, but it is not impossible, its just hard. Hard enough that it actually feels like I earned something.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

It is widely known that people who have better things to do (for example actually having fun in a game) than waste their time on a challenge that might be designed as being fun but is unfortunately biased against their character race, internet connection or control setup (or a mixture thereof) are failures in life. :P

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fubarbox.9386

Fubarbox.9386

lol Locce. I was not trying to say that (even if you were not replying to me). But even though I failed for two hours, I was having fun. The fun part is a perspective thing just like every other like and dislike in life. I did it with a big character, not sure about control setup and have seen my fair share of internet connection deaths (fortunately not on the tower) in my 10yrs of mmorpgs. But of course I do agree on the failures in life part :o) J/k

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

Hehe, that piece of sarcasm was mainly aimed at Picklock who definitely failed to read and/or understand why people quit the clock tower. Maybe he will stop patting himself on the back long enough to realize what nonsense he wrote.
Chances are that next year the clock tower might be fun for me, too. Single-player instances would certainly help. A human-sized character would certainly be better than a humongous charr, maybe even an elementalist for the extra speed to make up for my control setup that is not a friend of infinite circular motions (like, for example, if you are continuously jumping around a tower or something like that). And probably the connection issues are sorted by then, too.
Anyway, next year it can hardly get any worse than it was under this year’s circumstances, so doing it this year would have been nothing less than stupid for me.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tamlen.8017

Tamlen.8017

Oh come on, stop whining just because you don’t get things on a silver platter.
It took me about 2-3 hours to finally get to the end, if you quit that’s just your fault. After you make it once it’s incredibly easy to do it again.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MysticHLE.7160

MysticHLE.7160

Gave up after 30 min or so because I didn’t want to deal with the BS of other players covering my own character all the time and resulting in me not seeing from/to where I’m jumping. It’s a serious issue in big world events too.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cirus.5748

Cirus.5748

Tried 4 or 5 times, then said “nope, I’m’a farm some more candy corns.” Been happy since.

When I made this map I was HOPING that people who aren’t into jumping would do exactly this. They’d see a fun Halloween looking environment, maybe get to the first chest and snag a goodie, then be on their merry way. I see now it was a mistake to make the hardest jumping challenge in the game part of an in-your-face update like a holiday event. I’m not going to stop making difficult stuff like this, they just won’t be so prominent in the future. I honestly hate making people upset and have a very high level of empathy. So it’s been hard hearing all the people that are so angry, frustrated and sad because of something I’ve made. But it’s just another lesson learned.

I think that the clock tower was a masterpiece, 10/10. It’s one of the funnest and memorable things I’ve ever experienced in Guild Wars 2.

It reminds me much of Mario 64 with that clock level! It’s a race against the clock. It’s survival of the fittest, the challenge of it was immensely enjoyable, it required nerves, and you could see the progress of yourself. Every time you did your personal best, you knew you were 1 jump closer to the top! When you overcame certain hurdles, you learned from it and knew how to approach it correctly next time. It took me ~90 minutes of failures to finally reach the top and it was one of the most rewarding things I’ve experienced from gaming in a long time.

Lots of other people I’ve talked to have loved it as well. Having 10 or so people with you compete in the challenge enhances it greatly, you see the familiar faces around you drop 1 by 1, you see their progress and who the most likely people to finish are, as you get closer and closer to the summit you all get more excited. The repetition of having the same people over and over also made people interact with each other, joke and laugh about the whole thing. I also made some friends out of it, even though I was in the overflow.

It’s very challenging and rewarding, 10/10

I guess the only criticism that I could have of it is that it was a halloween achievement, that said for scaling something that challenging, we deserve an achievement! Maybe have a bonus section of the event achievements or something, so that those who can’t scale the clock, know that they haven’t missed out on anything major and won’t feel left out.

One thing with the feedback on the forums is that is only represents a very select group of people, when people want to complain they come here to do it, when people are happy they they generally don’t feel the need to vent their anger in a forum and they are just happy to share it with their friends instead.

Please put in more things like this, it was amazing! Challenges that aren’t challenging are not fun nor rewarding.

Vanguard Of Exiled Mercenaries – Blackgate

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

The Clocktower is extremely fun. I been playing it a lot at first just because it was so fun than I started grinding the kitten out of it for ToTs. I probably beat it about 65+ times.

… I still want tengu.

in Halloween Event

Cirus.5748

As for people complaining about other characters covering theirs, I am a human and was swallowed up by Norns and Charr, but when you are focused you don’t see any of that, you know where you are, you are in the center of the screen right with them and you know how to jump still, this complaint is more of an excuse for people that are frustrated than anything else. Also the other characters are normally with you only at the beginning, it doesn’t hurt to slow down for .2 of a second to let them hit the front or you can aim for a quicker start to set yourself above the rest.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jemima.5618

Jemima.5618

Trick is to use speed buffs. Most of them are disabled, but if you’re an elementalist or have one of the cash shop speed buffs then you can use them. And being that extra 10-15% faster makes everything so much easier. Jump further, move faster, etc.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

you can do it without speed buffs

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ZenDad.4671

ZenDad.4671

I completed the puzzle on a character of every race, except Charr.

Asura – this was by far the most difficult one at the beginning because indeed if you had large characters around you it was impossible to see where you were. This made the first few jumps difficult but once you got past the jump where you have to turn and jump on the first small block to the stairs(?) most people had failed and it was easy from there on out.

Human/Sylvari – very similar in size and easiest to complete it on. I learned the puzzle on my main, a Sylvari then was able to do it on the third try with my human.

Norn – I kept running into the same problem at the part of the puzzle where you had to jump to a block, then turn slightly and jump on a thin rail the Norn consistently could not do this. Eventually I had to decide to not use the block and try to jump from the large chunk straight onto the rail, this was much more difficult because the rail was heading a different direction than the jump had to be. Norn seem to be more prone to getting stuck on geometry.

Overall I would say the two changes I thought were necessary to make it a more successful puzzle would be:

1) The speed of the green ooze filling up the area was too fast, especially in the beginning when you had the largest group of people to deal with. In particular it would have been advantageous to have been able to not rush after the first small pause (when the small gear appears). If it had been slower people would have been able to stagger behind a little and let the “big” characters go first. Once you knew you weren’t going to have individual zones you should have slowed the ooze, or just got rid of it completely. I think for a lot of people even not having the ooze chasing them would have found the puzzle still to be a challenge.

2) If you cannot do individual maps for puzzles like this, then you need to sort people by race. The speed of the ooze problem caused at the beginning was never an issue for me when there was no Norn or Charr characters and when I did it on my Norn, other Norn and Charr did not bother me. Simply sorting us by size would have been great.

Anyway, even though I was bothered by the design flaws (and I’m glad the designer in charge did too) I still thought it was immense fun. However, I know for sure there must have been a large group of players that never did successfully climb it. Had my wife tried she would have broken down in tears, she is a keyboard turner, not mouse, and I shudder to think what that puzzle was like for players who steer like that.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Oroborous.2694

Oroborous.2694

@Josh

Don’t feel bad about making some frustrated with the tower. People will always be frustrated with something! I think many people loved the tower. I for one, loved the tower. That said, it was too hard for me, and I did give up eventually. I think you did a great job with the design of it. Cheers

Agreed. My issue was with the camera. No matter where I put it, how far I was zoomed in or out, it went wonky on me. I’d get to the first pause point, and when the new steps would spawn, off my camera would go zoomed into my left shoulder and by the time I’d zoom out, there was the green goo.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

Tried over perhaps 6-8hrs , in multiple sessions. Farthest i got was a little beyond the drop part, but not the switch back part. Over the course of trying and heeding advice, watching successful attempts, ignoring other players, i think my greatest issue is just age and lacking reflexes i had 20 years ago (and finding that extremely frustrating, knowing i have done all other JPs available).

Reflecting on it, its good to have high difficulty challenges. But the disappointment in admitting defeat due to your own ability (rather than luck or another players pvp) is unsuprisingly not that fun.

If appearing next year, i’d keep the format it as is, but with no gear rewards (exotics etc) and just a title, so the ‘carrot’ for it is purely just the challenge, and folk are less likely to feel they missed a special item or others allowed to farm it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Tried over perhaps 6-8hrs , in multiple sessions. Farthest i got was a little beyond the drop part, but not the switch back part. Over the course of trying and heeding advice, watching successful attempts, ignoring other players, i think my greatest issue is just age and lacking reflexes i had 20 years ago (and finding that extremely frustrating, knowing i have done all other JPs available).

Reflecting on it, its good to have high difficulty challenges. But the disappointment in admitting defeat due to your own ability (rather than luck or another players pvp) is unsuprisingly not that fun.

If appearing next year, i’d keep the format it as is, but with no gear rewards (exotics etc) and just a title, so the ‘carrot’ for it is purely just the challenge, and folk are less likely to feel they missed a special item or others allowed to farm it.

I would agree with that last part if exotics weren’t already easy to get.

as is the one you get isnt all that grate and is realy only goodfor Shift click see what i did \o/

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Oroborous.2694

Oroborous.2694

Oh come on, stop whining just because you don’t get things on a silver platter.
It took me about 2-3 hours to finally get to the end, if you quit that’s just your fault. After you make it once it’s incredibly easy to do it again.

I’ll tell you what, you and I will have a car race, with the following conditions: I get to paint your windows black. If you wreck, well then, that’s your fault.

If my camera goes wonky, and I can’t see the path up the tower, I don’t see how that’s my fault; I didn’t design the camera for this game. Like many things in life, there’s rarely a simple, single answer to the issues people are having.

Really getting tired of all the “it was easy for me, what’s your problem” attitude among the player base. What’s easy for one person isn’t necessarily so for another.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: coffeeisyum.5297

coffeeisyum.5297

@Josh

It really bothers me to hear that the jumping puzzle was a mistake and that in the future these types of things won’t be implemented. What about all the people who contently have fun and move on? The complaining is ALWAYS loudest.

The jumping puzzle was the most fun I’ve had in this game period. Mainly because while other jumping puzzles are fun, this one you could do with other players, and you were practically racing to the top and watching other people fail just as badly as you. I spent 10 hours playing this puzzle, even after beating it on my 5th hour. My boyfriend was addicted! I couldn’t even get him to run MK with me…he said he’d rather have fun than grind. He also met a lot of very funny and entertaining people.

People complain this was too hard, which just means too time-consuming. But these same people will go out and farm for HOURS and HOURS. I thought ANET was being a game changer by making a jumping puzzle—this seasonal achievement—actually challenging, but to hear it was a mistake and not the intent all along is disheartening.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kiraki.9761

Kiraki.9761

Josh Foreman

When I made this map I was HOPING that people who aren’t into jumping would do exactly this. They’d see a fun Halloween looking environment, maybe get to the first chest and snag a goodie, then be on their merry way. I see now it was a mistake to make the hardest jumping challenge in the game part of an in-your-face update like a holiday event. I’m not going to stop making difficult stuff like this, they just won’t be so prominent in the future. I honestly hate making people upset and have a very high level of empathy. So it’s been hard hearing all the people that are so angry, frustrated and sad because of something I’ve made. But it’s just another lesson learned.

In all honesty this was the best jumping puzzle in the game to date, aside from stuff like the teleportation bug and glitchy camera angles (which should be fixable so I consider these minor) the only major flaws were:

a) It was not instanced, (which is the cause for at least half of the griefings) and
b) There was a limited time in which people had a chance to complete it (referring to the date here and not the ooze) and people want to be able to complete all their holiday achievements.

The puzzle in itself was brilliant and hope this will not discourage you to make similar ones in the future.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

I loved the map, but I would like to point out that with a wide variety of computers and a vast level of player skill playing the game any kind of jumping that requires delicate aiming becomes a chore.

For example, my girlfriend is new to MMOs and has only been playing PC games for a year. On top of this, she has a laptop that gets a grand total of 5-8 FPS. That’s a steady framerate, not dips. Imagine trying to do something even as simple as the Mad King’s dungeon, and dropping from rock to rock, when what you see is not always what is happening. You jump, you think you land, and you let your fingers off the key, only to find yourself falling as the game catches up. This is what it’s like playing in areas like that for her. Often times she is dead before she even sees what is happening.

You can point the finger and say her hardware is to blame, or she should upgrade. Money is tight, and simply saying ‘get a better computer’ is not always the best solution. We avoid areas that require a lot of jumping and precision because of this. Fortunately for her, Mad King’s had the option of falling to your death to the platform below, which was the only way she was able to get down to the fight. Fall, get res’d, fight.

This is something to consider, the quality of life for gamers on lower-end machines.

in Halloween Event

Cirus.5748

Getting to the drop part is the hardest part of the puzzle, after you get up and start jumping upwards, you have plenty of time and the rest of the jumping is fairly straight forward and simple (don’t be complacent or you will still die), compared to the rest of the puzzle, the final 1/4 is the easiest by far.

If you can get up to that part, I’d recommend to not give up.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

@Josh

It really bothers me to hear that the jumping puzzle was a mistake and that in the future these types of things won’t be implemented.

did you actually read what he said?

I’m not going to stop making difficult stuff like this, they just won’t be so prominent in the future.

He just said he won’t put those difficult jumping puzzles in temporary, social, content, anymore…

I for one am heartened by his response. I would love to try this puzzle again. But not when I also want to try other temporary available content. I really love the maze, but I also love to fill my achievements. Which I will not be able to do now…

So, let’s hope there will be another jumping puzzle for Wintersday (presuming there will be a wintersday!) that is of the same quality build-wise, but a bit easier to do by the masses difficulty-wise.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kiraki.9761

Kiraki.9761

coffeeisyum.5297

The jumping puzzle was the most fun I’ve had in this game period. Mainly because while other jumping puzzles are fun, this one you could do with other players, and you were practically racing to the top and watching other people fail just as badly as you.

Firstly, you can do almost all of the jumping puzzles in the game with other people and secondly, yes, it would indeed be fun if you did it with other people that were not trolling. But besides the fact that small characters could not see anything past the giant charr/norn and their huge armor sets and shoulder decorations (or even see their toons for that matter), there were also a ton of people summoning spirits or throwing down random speed boost to purposely frustrate other players.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Trick is to use speed buffs. Most of them are disabled, but if you’re an elementalist or have one of the cash shop speed buffs then you can use them. And being that extra 10-15% faster makes everything so much easier. Jump further, move faster, etc.

No, the trick isn’t speed buffs. The trick is practice, patience (lots!), memorization and precision. And memorization based on angles, jump timing and music cues instead of heavy reliance on sight very much helps as well.

I completed this puzzle well over 100 times (and I’m not the most skilled at jumping puzzles) on my mesmer and didn’t use a single speed boost the entire time. So I can say with absolute certainty that speed boosts are NOT needed for this puzzle. In fact, a speed boost can really mess some folks up. I can’t count the number of eles that I saw fall to their deaths because they don’t have as much control with that speed boost passive and tend to have trouble landing their jumps precisely.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

(edited by Manoa.5897)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Art.3460

Art.3460

Had an instance all to myself!

Attachments:

in Halloween Event

Posted by: XXOwnsXY.9465

XXOwnsXY.9465

Let me just say..i LOVE the tower. No, i never finished it..but it was so much fun to do! I love a challenge…and also enjoyed the social aspect it created. Would try again (work tends to deplete my playtime hehehe)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MarkyMark.2807

MarkyMark.2807

Did this on my lil Asura, finally after several hours.

Raged like a boss for the first part of those, until I got it down to a fine art – from then on I still failed occasionally but loved the heck out of the design of it, the camaraderie of hanging out with several people (although I do think the groups were a bit too big).

Once I got to the first wait point I just jumped up and down a few times so I could track where I was and just went from there.

Fix the camera, and make the controls more responsive and I don’t think there would have been as many issues.

Looking forward to whatever is coming for Wintersday! (there is a JP coming for Wintersday?, please….PLEASE!)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vintal.3627

Vintal.3627

I actually loved the puzzle, took me a couple of hours to master, but it was so rewarding when i finally completed it!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: yos.2401

yos.2401

Good Puzzle. Horrendous implementation. There are too many things clashing together to make this puzzle make me want to break something.

I’m not complaining that the puzzle is hard, like is the vocal majority on this post. I am saying that there are too many things about the puzzle that when they get stuck together it works out badly.

1. Group play – Problem being that you can’t see your footing and its very distracting.
2. Rushed play – The ground coming up at you so if you’re not the quickest at turning or jumping you get eaten from behind.
3. Sporatic play – You have to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, until the last person is done from the group.
4. Limited play – It won’t be here tomorrow, but there is an Achievement for doing it (I collect Achievements as much as I can).

When all four of these things are added together, it is VERY STRESSFUL for a large populous. That’s just the reading from the people inside the groups I was in and assuming based off the posts here.

Take any 1 of those 4 points away, and in all likelihood the puzzle would keep its challenge but not be as stressful.

A challenging puzzle like this would be amazing, even with the groups/rush/waits, if it wasn’t limited to a holiday. Who knows if it will be around next time Halloween comes around, I know many games like to mix things up with their celebrations. So now I am stuck with an unfulfilled achievement, that may or may not ever get to be done again, all because of having to have a life outside of gw2 (work, sleep, etc). That bothers me a lot.

Otherwise, I’m pretty sure there would be a lot less complaining if the puzzle was solo (less ability to blame on others, but they are freaking distracting). Or if we didn’t have to constantly wait between falls (ruins whatever rhythm may have been going, and just wasted time since nothing else is going on); if you’re worried about farmers or bots, just put a timer on it, or make the dungeon loot code effect it. Getting rid of the rush would definitely make the puzzle easier, something that could be done in the span of the events without taking over all the time you have to do all the events.

That being said, I had fun for a bit, then had to quit before I broke something. I hope there is a chance to try again.

P.S.
To the people comparing this to old platformers, this puzzle would be like a 3-5day rental of super mario brothers that forced you to restart the entire world when you died, and made you sit and wait after you died until the average time it took the beta testers to finish each world. Sure, some of you would be good enough to beat that without dying so you wouldn’t realize the pain that others would go through, but for the rest of us, it would be a trying experience that might end in a broken controller.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Havarthr.8167

Havarthr.8167

Tower was awesome, i know me and a lot of other people on my server think so, me and the people doing it at the time had a lot of fun, please do something like it for other seasonal events, it was the best feeling when i finally did it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: PsykotikDragon.4591

PsykotikDragon.4591

I love JPs I really do but my main problem w/ this 1 was that I couldn’t see where I was so kept dying in the blob o’ toons.I kept at it & felt an enormous thrill when I finally beat my previous best only to fall/slip/misjump horribly a second later.
I’d love to be able to keep doing this JP, I have after all spent the last 3 nights attempting it for hours on end (4, 3.5, 5 respectively) & STILL haven’t beaten it (I’ve gotten just past the leap of faith but keep banging my head on a block or slipping off a beam…infernal beams…). it’s frustrating & fun but due to the event being very limited in time I can’t devote any more to it unless I want to miss out on everything else going on.

I’d love to see this puzzle still be available after the event. Or as someone else posted, a solo version would be really nice as well…no need to nerf it in any way just let me see where I am, PLEASE!

That being said well done & 10/10 for this puzzle it was very exciting (& frustrating & rage-inducing all at once)…I definitely felt the “Madness Rising” while doing this one (yes I read the Reddit post about it lol). Keep up the good work & look forward to more JPs from you.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Palleon.1657

Palleon.1657

This puzzle was the best thing I have seen in an MMO Holiday event, and I spent most of the weekend learning it, and when I beat it I was over the moon. You made an incredible puzzle, so please don’t stop making things like this!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

I enjoyed this jumping puzzle more than anything else in the game, its sad to see that the creator of this masterpiece is upset over a few whiny haters.

Thats like Valve closing their doors because many players felt Portal 2 was hard. It would be ridiculous!

So yeah, man up, dont let a few kids spoil your mood. The puzzle was awesome and MANY OF US ENJOYED IT, the haters are simply more outspoken on the forums.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: jaka.9635

jaka.9635

The Tower was an excelent part of the event, it wasnt really that hard. Plus all the guides and tutorials that were availible from the community made it really easy to familiarize yourself with the route without even trying it once.

Maybe in the future updates tho, a jumping puzzle of this kind should have come with an option that would hide all nearby characters. So for example if another character is standing in close to you he would become unvisible, but if someone was a bit farther away they would still be visible.