10 years is not normally a Jubilee

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: poziix.7285

poziix.7285

Traditionally speaking 10 years is a Decennial (Also known as Tin or Aluminium).

A Jubilee doesn’t really come into it until you hit 25 years then it’s a Silver Jubilee
At 50 years you have the Golden Jubilee.
At 60 and then again at 75 years you get Diamond Jubilee
At 70 and again at 100 years (out of order to above) you have Platinum Jubilee.

Before people rage at me, I understand this is a game and Tyria is an invention so they can make a Jubilee out of 10 years if they want. Shrug Just, you know. Putting it out there.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

jubilee sounds better, everyone understand what it means, and they picked 10 years instead of 25 because they didn’t want jennah to sound like an old hag (or that she’s been ruling since she was a child).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Agreed. Should be a jamboree instead.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: poziix.7285

poziix.7285

jubilee sounds better, everyone understand what it means, and they picked 10 years instead of 25 because they didn’t want jennah to sound like an old hag (or that she’s been ruling since she was a child).

True, I can’t imagine them announcing the Queen’s Decennial Celebrations

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The typical reign of a Skritt King is less than an hour. By comparison, Queen Jennah’s been in power FOREVER.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The Firstborn should be having a jubilee. Party for Trahearne! Nah, it wouldn’t end well. Party for Caithe!

Or even a corroboree!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

You are hereby invited to Queen Jenna’s Aluminum Decennial!

No, it doesn’t have the same ring to it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

And we’ll all be like “Those clockwork sentinels are too copper-ish to be made out of aluminium. L2Design Anet !!!1!!1”

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Meh — all the characters in this game, and in GW1, are ageless.

But I support the OP’s argument, that a Jubilee is a designation of a given time period, and 10 years just doesn’t really fit it.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

in Queen's Jubilee

Evans.6347

On a humorous note, this is one of those topics that shows that we complain about everything ain’t it?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

On a humorous note, this is one of those topics that shows that we complain about everything ain’t it?

“ain’t” isn’t a proper word in written English.

;)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

;)

Actually, “Ain’t” got added to the dictionary.

in Queen's Jubilee

Evans.6347

I was feeling frivolous.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I think rather than be pedantic about your grammar it was to exemplify how your statement held quite true.

As for jubilee, it’s for a special anniversary, and particularly the likes of 25th, 50th, etc. but if 10th is special then we’re good to go.

In a medieval fantasy setting with quite frequent changes in power, it makes sense jubilees came around a bit more often… oh well, on to more interesting topics than this nitpickery.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

;)

“Cellphone” wasn’t a proper English word, it wasn’t a word at all, but it was added to describe a new piece of technology. “Assassination,” wasn’t a word until Shakespeare wrote it into a poem; it wasnt even slang, just simple random BS to describe ‘skilled murder’, yet everyone excepted it, and then after it became official. “Gay”, a term that had been coined for happiness, over time was transformed to officially include ‘homosexual’. Languages develop and change with the culture, its a fact of life, there is no ‘true’ or ‘pure’ English. That being said, ’Ain’t’ is a word; consult the dictionary.

…sorry for diverting from the topic, but I hate grammar kittens.

(edited by Mia Lunarfang.5826)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

;)

Its usage is still frowned upon though as bad English, a bit lowbrow, if you will. It’s probably what he meant.

On topic though. Whenever I hear Jubilee, my mind automatically thinks “X-Men”. Childhood programming, I guess.

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Bah, those American developers don’t know anything about a Queen’s Jubilee… Where’s the orange scarfs and crowns! And orange banners. And orange cake. The whole of Divinity’s Reach should have turned orange!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

;)

“Cellphone” wasn’t a proper English word, it wasn’t a word at all, but it was added to describe a new piece of technology. “Assassination,” wasn’t a word until Shakespeare wrote it into a poem; it wasnt even slang, just simple random BS to describe ‘skilled murder’, yet everyone excepted it, and then after it became official. “Gay”, a term that had been coined for happiness, over time was transformed to officially include ‘homosexual’. Languages develop and change with the culture, its a fact of life, there is no ‘true’ or ‘pure’ English. That being said, ’Ain’t’ is a word; consult the dictionary.

…sorry for diverting from the topic, but I hate grammar kittens.

You didn’t consider the post I responded to, did you?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

grammar furry sweet kittens

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

This is Tyria. Not Earth.
They might have different definitions.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This is Tyria. Not Earth.
They might have different definitions.

It is Tyria, and people speak Tyrian.

For the players’ (and devs’) convenience, the game interface uses the English (French, Spanish, German) language, and not a Tyrian conlang, or even separate conlangs for different cultures.

So, no, they really shouldn’t have different definitions.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Well if she did host a pancake jamboree I’d enjoy that.
Pancake stacks as high as Divinity’s Reach!

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

yeah lets wait 25 years.. its a game.. does it really matters?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I have to agree with OP, I’ve mentioned it before of announcement when they are conspyring about the release name.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Scott McGough

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

There are lots of different kinds of jubilees. We were using the term in the sense of Mirriam Webster definition 2a-b, visible here:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jubilee

“a : a special anniversary; especially : a 50th anniversary;
b: a celebration of such an anniversary”

No specific time span/duration is a required part of that definition; it’s just a term for an important anniversary/observance of that anniversary (and yes, it’s “especially” applicable to a 50th anniversary, that doesn’t mean it’s the only acceptable use).

Hope this helps,

—Scott McG

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

There are lots of different kinds of jubilees. We were using the term in the sense of Mirriam Webster definition 2a-b, visible here:

No specific time span/duration is a required part of that definition; it’s just a term for an important anniversary/observance of that anniversary (and yes, it’s “especially” applicable to a 50th anniversary, that doesn’t mean it’s the only acceptable use).

Hope this helps,

And considering this is the anniversary right after the Charr treaty was ratified, that’d also count as a special anniversary.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Possible origin:

You shall count seven weeks of years, seven times seven years, so that the time of the seven weeks of years shall give you forty-nine years. Then you shall sound the loud trumpet on the tenth day of the seventh month. On the Day of Atonement you shall sound the trumpet throughout all your land. And you shall consecrate the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you, when each of you shall return to his property and each of you shall return to his clan. That fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you; in it you shall neither sow nor reap what grows of itself nor gather the grapes from the undressed vines. For it is a jubilee. It shall be holy to you. You may eat the produce of the field.

Source.

Seems like it’s not so much about the number of years, but the celebration and general good mood that takes place.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

And cowards are not normally celebrated as heroes, but Logan’s place in Divinity’s Reach shows us that Krytan pride doesn’t concern itself with details.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Well if she did host a pancake jamboree I’d enjoy that.
Pancake stacks as high as Divinity’s Reach!

Now we’re on to something. Pancakes are a much better living story drop than kites or tokens.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Jubilee is a perfectly applicable term for the 10 year’s mark. It’s really up to the country, culture, and institution of Monarchy in said country. Kryta celebrates it every 10 years, obviously.

I’m more concerned with how she has no heir yet lol. Girl needs to get busy!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Jubilee is a perfectly applicable term for the 10 year’s mark. It’s really up to the country, culture, and institution of Monarchy in said country. Kryta celebrates it every 10 years, obviously.

I’m more concerned with how she has no heir yet lol. Girl needs to get busy!

Let mah boy Ogden Stonehealer show her whats wot.

The great forum duppy.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I wholeheartedly agree! Anet, make it happen!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

With Risen in this game, we’d be looking at a Zombie Jamboree, I fear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4k5XftdTMs

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: shawn.6793

shawn.6793

Hope this helps,

you must love it over at anet, having to justify just about every action you ever take, I generally don’t log into the forums, I just read posts, if I was constantly logged in I would find myself replying to almost every thread by saying: STOP MOANING.

cheers shawn.

*logs out

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

And cowards are not normally celebrated as heroes, but Logan’s place in Divinity’s Reach shows us that Krytan pride doesn’t concern itself with details.

I can’t say saving the queen from branded threat is cowardness.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I can’t say saving the queen from branded threat is cowardness.

That’s true… he did run from one fight directly into another. Coward or Hero depends if you were part of the fight he ran from or to.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

;)

Webster’s Dictionary is not an accurate list of proper English words, and lists all kinds of slang and contractions and such. It’s used only as a reference to understand what words mean when a person uses them; not whether they are proper words or should actually be used.
That includes the multiple definitions of proper words. If, for example, it became common to misuse Jubilee in reference to an obese house cat, they would add “Obese house cat” as one of the definitions.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

in Queen's Jubilee

Pixelpumpkin.4608

;)

Webster’s Dictionary is not an accurate list of proper English words, and lists all kinds of slang and contractions and such. It’s used only as a reference to understand what words mean when a person uses them; not whether they are proper words or should actually be used.
That includes the multiple definitions of proper words. If, for example, it became common to misuse Jubilee in reference to an obese house cat, they would add “Obese house cat” as one of the definitions.

So, is there an accurate list of proper English words?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

;)

So, is there an accurate list of proper English words?

I don’t know of one, unfortunately.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Micael.8367

Micael.8367

To all those complaining about Websters, here is a definition directly from the Oxford English Dictionary online (in picture form because you need to log in to have access):

4. A season or occasion of joyful celebration or general rejoicing.
a. Exultant joy, general or public rejoicing, jubilation.
b. Shouting; joyful shouting; sound of jubilation.

source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5etn0ackyyigqq/OEDjubileeDEF.PNG

That means at least in the U.K. we’re good with calling it a Jubilee .

(edited by Micael.8367)

in Queen's Jubilee

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I think calling a source not proper enough is inconsequential if not followed up by delivering a properer source.

Jubilee accepted.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

Let’s also not forget that, for Jennah’s age, the kind of people she deals with (Caudacus), and the situation she’s in, she’s well outlived her expected survival rate. Part of me half wonders if she’s survived assassination attempts by having a TF2 Deadringer on her at all times?

Also, she’s not just celebrating her reign’s anniversary, but this is basically going to become the 4th of July for Kryta.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

I laughed at this so hard! xD

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Akechi Hotaru.7129

Akechi Hotaru.7129

will there be bears that sing?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: grumbles.5412

grumbles.5412

I kind of want to think that the 10 year mark is some sort of nod to the entire development of the Guild Wars Franchise

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Kryta is a human nation. Logan acted in the best interests of their ruling Monarch. From a human perspective, he wasn’t running away from a dragon, he was running to the queen’s aid. I can see how the charr might see him as a coward, but to the humans he’s the guy who saved their queen.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elessar Iso.9675

Elessar Iso.9675

I think ANet is using now Jubilee word in right form. Because Queen Jenna is still sitting monarch and usually the important dates in a sitting monarch’s reign can also be commemorated, an event often referred to as a ‘Jubilee’.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anniversary

It is nice to be important but more important to be nice.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Caerulei.7159

Caerulei.7159

In Judaism, a jubilee was every 7 years, when all slaves and debts were set free, no matter how much left was owed. 25 year jubilees are an English tradition.

Encharrneer of first Foundation then Chronicles of Tyria.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Should have been a “hoedown”. Fiddles, chaps and cowboy hats in the gem store.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Possible origin:

You shall count seven weeks of years, seven times seven years, so that the time of the seven weeks of years shall give you forty-nine years. Then you shall sound the loud trumpet on the tenth day of the seventh month. On the Day of Atonement you shall sound the trumpet throughout all your land. And you shall consecrate the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you, when each of you shall return to his property and each of you shall return to his clan. That fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you; in it you shall neither sow nor reap what grows of itself nor gather the grapes from the undressed vines. For it is a jubilee. It shall be holy to you. You may eat the produce of the field.

Source.

Seems like it’s not so much about the number of years, but the celebration and general good mood that takes place.

In Judaism, a jubilee was every 7 years, when all slaves and debts were set free, no matter how much left was owed. 25 year jubilees are an English tradition.

I thought the fiftieth year was the Year of Jubilee. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis