Personal Portal

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

While I’m sure they’ll be able to limit its use in such a way thakittens not game breaking…….why? Why add this? Was there a mass call for it? Surely it was obvious it would be a controversial item, so why stir the pot with something no one was asking for?

I would genuinely (not being snarky here) like to know why the devs want to add this item. To me it comes with a whole load of potential problems, and doesn’t answer any real need. There are so many QOL things I can think of that would be unambiguous improvements – bulk buying at venders, last online for friend and guild lists, more sorting options in the tp, the ability to save trait pages….I am honestly perplexed trying to figure what problem a consumable portal was trying to solve. If its “just a bit of fun”, there are a million other ways to do that that don’t utilize a class’s distinctive ability.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I was really hoping for some sort of personal waypoint device. Something that would enable you to teleport to a location of your choosing from anywhere in the game, or at the very least, return you to your race’s home city.

I’m disappointed.

Same here. Do you know what I’d do just for an infinite use item that could take me back to Black Citadel whenever I want?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

The portal is a one-time use consumable that effectively allows you to use a skill that is similar to the mesmer’s portal. We recognize thakittens a very powerful item, so the recipe is quite rare and takes considerable resources to manufacture.

And will we be able to use this skill in WvW/sPvP/Dungeons? Or just open world.

I’m incredibly wary of this. It sounds very close to P2W where you can pay a lot of gold to get access to an incredibly powerful skill.

or you could level a mesmer up to like 20

Levelling to 20 is so pre 5000 achievement points. Go with the times man!

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

Don’t actually understand the need to have this? Portals is a unique feature to mesmers, why change that?

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

The portal is a one-time use consumable that effectively allows you to use a skill that is similar to the mesmer’s portal. We recognize that it’s a very powerful item, so the recipe is quite rare and takes considerable resources to manufacture.

Ah no. I thought it was going to be something that allows you to teleport between maps, or back to a specific location.

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

The problem is that as it is presented, that item is either absolutely useless or terribly harmful for the game itself.
Make it even a bit expensive, and no one will use that.
Make it cheap and you’re removing value from a class, even if just a bit. The problem isn’t strictly about it, but more like setting a precedent.
Ok, there are already engineer’s kits here and there, but that’s kinda also the point of the class.

If they really wanted to give other classes access to portal-like skills, they could have done so during an update that actually added skills to all the various classes. Giving it this way…well, it won’t be satisfactory in any way, imho.

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

BUY BUY BUY ARTIFICER MATERIALS

Why? This item sounds useless. You can’t use it in wvw and it portals just one person (the user). Ooo I can save one jump in a jumping puzzle (I’m a platformer and have already completed all jumping puzzles in the game). Some people might like it on jumping puzzles but this is lame if I’m interpretting it right.

If it’s personal, I won’t even be able to use it to get new people through things like the frogger rocks on cof1 or the lasers in coe. really really lame ANET

For those asking “why portal for your ranger chopps?”, it’s because portals are too useful in pve for only mesmers to have. It’s stupid, in my opinion, to gove such a powerful utility to just one profession. Sure in pvp it makes sense but in pve it makes the mesmer in too high of demand (many people cannot beat the rocks on cof1 because they’ve never done it without a mesmer blink/portal). Also in wvw it’s too high demand. Just my thoughts :p

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Evans.6347

If it’s personal, I won’t even be able to use it to get new people through things like the frogger rocks on cof1 or the lasers in coe. really really lame ANET

Well you won’t because like the portal gun, this consumable will very likely be disabled in dungeons.

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Well you won’t because like the portal gun, this consumable will very likely be disabled in dungeons.

No, I won’t even BEFORE I run into the consumable restriction because the portal is personal in the first place. Unless ANET comes out with a good reason for personal portal, it seems like a completely useless item. I will think about how I might use it in pve…I just can’t think of one instance where I would say “gee I’m glad I spent X number of mats and gold on that!”

This kind of thing is only desirable in wvw (all the mesmers in my guild are sick of being portal robots) and dungeons and you can’t use it in either so it’s almost certainly not worth the gold. It’s not even a convenience thing like the unbreakable harvesting tools. It’s just a waste of gold, it seems.

I’m sad that this is their solution for the stated design goal of giving more people access to portal. That’s like giving me a brand new M3 and I’m only allowed to sit in it: no driving! It’s a tease with no pay off.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Evans.6347

I probably missed a dev post in this topic confirming that it’s a self use only item. I was under the impression it was just an account bound consumable mesmer port.

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

All got the same rewards as you, but being VERY LAZY and stupids.

Not true.

All they got is an in-game achievement and some blues and greens. You get the satisfaction of knowing you finished the puzzle without handicaps.

Don’t know about you but for me the latter is worth a lot more than a few in-game shinies.

One – Piken Square

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I don’t think this portal stone is a bad idea. I just don’t like it being expensive to craft, and being one-use only. It’s such a waste for only one teleport (that you can also mess up by accident).

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chief.5928

Chief.5928

I was hoping it would be a method to instantly teleport to one’s home instance (would make sense given the fact we have the opportunity to unlock the personal crystal node during the current Bazaar of the Four Winds event) or later perhaps the Guild Hall.

As it stands, it’s just a copy of the Mesmer’s ability which makes it far less interesting to use.

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I was hoping it would be a method to instantly teleport to one’s home instance (would make sense given the fact we have the opportunity to unlock the personal crystal node during the current Bazaar of the Four Winds event) or later perhaps the Guild Hall.

Yes, I would have liked (in order of preference)

• a permanent item that portals me to my home (aka player housing)
  • a permanent item that portals me to my guild hall
  • a permanent item that portals me to a city of my choice (but then always to the same city)
  • a permanent item that portals me to my home instance (less useful for me, as my human character has relocated to Rata Sum, but oh well)

One-time portal-skill portals are okay – I actually would like a “safety net” for use in some jumping puzzles such as Skipping Stones – but if it is very expensive to craft, I’d rather not.

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

More clarification:

• It’s an artificer recipe
  • You can trade the output of the recipe between characters on your account
  • The recipe makes a one-time use item, it does not unlock a new skill
  • This is not going to replace a mesmer in your party

Why do you keep pushing new recipe outputs that we can’t tp? >.<

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Ah yes. New, shiny, amazing, but when you read the fine print, next to impossible to get.

A cheap marketing gimmick. Is that all you’re good for anymore, Anet?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Ah yes. New, shiny, amazing, but when you read the fine print, next to impossible to get.

A cheap marketing gimmick. Is that all you’re good for anymore, Anet?

They are good for creating the upcoming arena.

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The recipe requires a level 400 artificer. It requires 5 Orichalcum Ingots, 1 Master Tuning Crystal, 1 Charged Lodestone, and 75 Watchwork Sprockets.

Does anybody here think that this is woth it? Any single one person at all?

Personal Portal

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

More clarification:

• It’s an artificer recipe
  • You can trade the output of the recipe between characters on your account
  • The recipe makes a one-time use item, it does not unlock a new skill
  • This is not going to replace a mesmer in your party

Why do you keep pushing new recipe outputs that we can’t tp? >.<

It uses a charged lodestone. That’s almost 3g (probably more when you consider the other items) for a single portal. I can’t think of any time in the game where I would pay 3g for a portal. When would you ever use this over simply swapping to a mesmer? You could pay a mesmer 1g to portal you wherever you might use this item for.