So... everything in this patch is temporary

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Veplerion.3921

Veplerion.3921

Personal Story is instanced, so that’ not affected at all…as for the final battle, they can make something creative. But I am simply basing this on their idea behind the Living Story while this particular part of the map is “living” and evolving, other parts of the world are frozen in time.

So you would suddenly face enemies and see areas that do not exist in the actual world when doing the personal story then?

The solution is simple. It’s history, so have the Priory tell the story of the defeat of Zhaitan. Priory NPC camps will be located at the green asterisks through the world related to the Zhaitan story and dialog from them will give the player the impression that they’re being told a story that’s already happened. The Priory is telling the record so detailed that the player imagines they’re actually there, doing the mission. Make all the mission replayable that way.

Under whatever Living Story tab they come up with to sum up what’s been going on with the LS, have an Elder Dragon tab or something that gives info on the current happenings/what has happened to the elder dragons. Put the achievements related to “What happened to Zhaitan?” in the game.

They need to disconnect the whole choosing your order thing from the Zhaitan story line and make it more general, covering other elder dragons and possibly other things without specifically mentioning names to avoid the whole frozen in time thing. Yes, it’d require modifying existing missions. A lot of work, which they don’t seem to be willing to do right now. But it has to be done eventually.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Inikotu.1569

Inikotu.1569

Thanks for the updates.

Thanks for making the Bazaar feel a little like Cantha.

Thanks for trying something new.

My only complaint is that I can’t quit work. Maybe stretch out all events to 4 week intervals, with events overlapping.

I loved finding sky crystals and i loved sanctum sprint.
I loved and hated the not so secret jumping puzzle/goggles.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Oh I know how they could do it technically. But do we really think people would like the idea of them spending months on making new versions of already existing maps rather than working on new maps?

You are right, I can’t speak for everybody. I know I would LOVE it, but that’s just me. It is just that if feels so weird that we helped cleaning Orr, but nothing changed.

I agree, I would love it as well. Let’s be honest, Orr sucks. ArenaNet should completely rework those 3 maps anyway. The restoration of Orr gives them an excuse to do so, while keeping the original as an “underflow” server for those who haven’t done the personal storyline. Not only this would be a real prize for finishing the storyline – 3 more high level maps! – but it would also allow Orr to keep changing with the Living World.

And as far as people being angry for ArenaNet improving old maps… Didn’t even WoW do that, by the time Cataclysm was released?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

The Dev Post in this thread is really good. It is amazing that some people are still complaining. IMO, his post resolves the thread.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

As to the point of this specific release, there are a ton of permanent features and content. From the update of mini-games becoming permanent on a rotation, champion loot, solo queue PvP and leaderboards, dungeon reward changes, currency wallet, PvP leaver penalties (dishonorable), the FX culling system and more! However, we do recognize one of the components is returning content rather than constant, we need one more core event in our portfolio to fill out our ability to pull off the ambitious plans we have for next year. We too want to have an even larger playable content impact as stated in our goals for the second half of 2014, you’ll be see seeing that play out shortly.

All of the permanent “content” mentioned are quality of life improvements. They aren’t new things to do in the game, they are polishes done to existing permanent things. All of the new content in this patch appears to be temporary, right after a blog post you made talked about more permanent stuff. Even the press previews from Guild Wars 2 Hub seemed unhappy and confused as to why the content is temporary. Halloween makes sense as an annual festival, the Zephyr Sanctum makes sense as a returning event, the solo gameplay challenges (with an apparently high skill cap) in a permanent part of the world just seem silly to remove.

Soon, you won’t need to ask “is this permanent or temporary?”, you’ll simply be able to look at story specific parts and know the story goes away when it’s done, and the playable core content remains and changes based on the outcomes of the story. As a player, I’d rather login and experience an event knowing the outcome and the results of the story will create content I can see and experience for years, than have it all go away 2 weeks later, and have no impact.

We’re also looking into options that would allow players to experience the story sequences that will go away as the story moves forward for those who missed them, but this is still a ways off as we look at various options.

It’s like watching someone move in two directions at once and wonder why they are making it nowhere. I’m not sold on the value of removing the instanced story content from the game. I understand the open world stuff has to go, but the instanced stuff (Rox and Braham missions, the dungeons) were no different from Personal Story or Story Mode dungeons. The only reason I can see why this stuff gets removed is to pressure players to play now instead of whenever they want, something you said the GW2 business model didn’t promote (from the “Is it Fun?” blog. "But what if your business model isn’t one based on a subscription, and your content-design motivations aren’t driven by creating mechanics to keep people playing as long as possible? ". I also like “Can we focus our time on making meaningful and impactful content, rather than filler content to draw out the experience?” because it doesn’t describe the snowman/pumpkin/dragon effigy/kite basket/balloon mechanic at all.

The Dev Post in this thread is really good. It is amazing that some people are still complaining. IMO, his post resolves the thread.

The post repeats what was said in a blog from the same dev before the contents of this patch were revealed to be temporary. Look at it this way, the guy says we hear your complaints, you don’t like so much temporary content, we are going to make more permanent content, and the very next patch is revealed to be full of temporary content.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

I agree with most of whats been said, but just in summary reoccurring /= permanent, and quality of life changes /= content.

I would be totally fine if he said “yes, I understand the point, this is the last of the living story updates to feature story content that is entirely temporary”..and he seemed to sort of be saying that in the beginning. But then he went on to say there’s loads of permanent content like “token walets and pvp solo queue”. That’s not content. It’s good stuff – great in fact, the quality of life changes have really been spot on recently, and I don’t want to dismiss them. But, they aren’t content. And if they only things that will be permanent in living story updates will QoL things…I think people will still take issue with that. It looks at least from the first part of the post, though, that we may see more permanent true story content coming a few weeks from now.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

(edited by rfdarko.4639)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

Since OP brought up Wildstar.. I’d like to mention the possible threat of GW2 also competing w/ Everquest Next/Landmark. EQN has a ton of ambitious genre-revolutionizing goals like Anet did, one of which includes open world manipulation and ‘emergent ai’ – both things will (supposedly) accomplish the true sense of a “living world” .. to the extent new players wouldnt be starting in the same kind of world older players had started in. Lots of community feedback showed people expressing genuine interest, and many had brought up being disappointed by GW2’s promises, no joke.

As someone who wants to continue being loyal to GW2 and touting it as the best MMO foreva, I hope Anet steps up its game soon and introduces some real, permanent changes. That’s the first step to making the game come closer to the original manifesto’s promises. EQN’s promises seem closer to fufilling the manifesto..good for them, but for Anet, that’s scary.

I am so down for a separate instance for a cleansed Orr- perhaps only accessible by those who completed Arah story? There are enough alt toons and new players who can occupy old Orr. Make rewarding, engaging DE-chains in both instances, so that alt toons/new players have motivation to occupy old Orr until they complete Arah story, rinse & repeat.

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

(edited by citypigeon.6358)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: unknowable.8470

unknowable.8470

I find it really sad that the argument people use AGAINST permanent content is “they say they will be doing it”
Guess what they also said they would fix the lacklustre dungeons back in january… Look what still hasn’t happened.
They also said back in November that fractals were easy to add, guess what hasn’t happened.

I don’t want temporary content to go I just want some stuff to stay that makes sense, the clockwork arena makes sense to stay, also I doubt it is going to be destroyed as the twitch stream simply said “oh we don’t want it to seem like jenna is having a perpetual celebration” and “it may come back if people ask, I am not making any promises”
Really? how about fun content, I was kitten ed that the abbadon fractal vote was tied to a character that had no story introduction and that permanent content was determined by people who either didn’t know about it or didn’t care because they don’t play fractals THAT isn’t fair nor is it respectful.

kitten I hope EQ Next does well, it is looking good so far.

The issue with GW2 isn’t the game, it is the choices being made for the game, a lot of the stuff that can be done can be done with little effort and with a balance but people at arenanet atleast the ones in charge seem to decide “well it is either all one way or all the other way”

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I find it really sad that the argument people use AGAINST permanent content is “they say they will be doing it”
Guess what they also said they would fix the lacklustre dungeons back in january… Look what still hasn’t happened.
They also said back in November that fractals were easy to add, guess what hasn’t happened.

I don’t want temporary content to go I just want some stuff to stay that makes sense, the clockwork arena makes sense to stay, also I doubt it is going to be destroyed as the twitch stream simply said “oh we don’t want it to seem like jenna is having a perpetual celebration” and “it may come back if people ask, I am not making any promises”
Really? how about fun content, I was kitten ed that the abbadon fractal vote was tied to a character that had no story introduction and that permanent content was determined by people who either didn’t know about it or didn’t care because they don’t play fractals THAT isn’t fair nor is it respectful.

kitten I hope EQ Next does well, it is looking good so far.

The issue with GW2 isn’t the game, it is the choices being made for the game, a lot of the stuff that can be done can be done with little effort and with a balance but people at arenanet atleast the ones in charge seem to decide “well it is either all one way or all the other way”

One thing id like to point out look at the first dugion they fixed AC making it much much harder which had alot of negative feedback. So they had to re-access their approach probably.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

On the topic of ‘cleansing orr’ wouldn’t it be possible to have a different map depending on whether or not you completed the personal story? They did something similar with winds of change, so it should be possible since it’s all instanced.

Getting access to a ‘Cleansed’ version of Orr. Even if it just has reskinned mobs and looks prettier, it would at least make a bit of sense.
And plus, it’d give more people motivation to finish the personal story, at least on multiple characters, if someone were to put some of those new materials they mentioned there…

The problem with that is, you would no longer be able to assist those who haven’t completed story, because you’d be qued to a different map. That, and most of the events wouldn’t make sense in a post Zhiatain Orr. Who would be the enemy, the remenence of Zhiatain’s undead? While the end of personal story does state that there are still some left, would it be a big enough threat, without a leader it would be a quick mop up. And if there are no enemies, the map is pointless.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

We too want to have an even larger playable content impact as stated in our goals for the second half of 2014, you’ll be see seeing that play out shortly.

This is a hilarious quote that can easily be taken out of context. Yeah, Colin it’s fine to wait a year for the “real” content to come out (end sarcasm). Of course I know he meant 2013 and not 2014. Nevertheless I hope we start seeing stronger content in the future that shows me that you guys are learning from your mistakes.

in Queen's Jubilee

citypigeon.6358

On the topic of ‘cleansing orr’ wouldn’t it be possible to have a different map depending on whether or not you completed the personal story? They did something similar with winds of change, so it should be possible since it’s all instanced.

Getting access to a ‘Cleansed’ version of Orr. Even if it just has reskinned mobs and looks prettier, it would at least make a bit of sense.
And plus, it’d give more people motivation to finish the personal story, at least on multiple characters, if someone were to put some of those new materials they mentioned there…

The problem with that is, you would no longer be able to assist those who haven’t completed story, because you’d be qued to a different map. That, and most of the events wouldn’t make sense in a post Zhiatain Orr. Who would be the enemy, the remenence of Zhiatain’s undead? While the end of personal story does state that there are still some left, would it be a big enough threat, without a leader it would be a quick mop up. And if there are no enemies, the map is pointless.

I think it would give the opportunity of introducing creative gameplay mechanics, rather than the usual hack ‘n slash DPS zerg. Alot of people complain how GW2’s missions aren’t as creative and strategic as those in GW1, a complaint I wholeheartedly agree with. Like instead of ‘run around and kill mobs of risen’ it could be more ‘kill risen by doing this and that and while you’re at it, watch out for this’ (which was more like GW1..GW2 has a tiny bit of that going on here and there but definitelynot enough) Sure it’s essentially a mop up job, but Orr is still a pretty big (and mysterious) place. Some creativity could go a long way with a place like that.

zestalyn.tumblr

(edited by citypigeon.6358)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

TEMP content is epicly STUPID its forcing us to play to spend more money on gems instead to enjoy summer cuz they need to make more money as soon as outer AAA f2p mmo’s comes me and my guild are stoping this DRESS up SKIN wars game .NO raids epic FAIL for any mmo !!!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Wreckdum.8367

Wreckdum.8367

So play in August then come back next August when the only (supposed) good update since launch returns. All over it!

Rex Smashington – 80 Norn Warrior <Tyrians United Retard Division> Yak’s Bend
“That big kitten Norn with The Juggernaut”

in Queen's Jubilee

citypigeon.6358

TEMP content is epicly STUPID its forcing us to play to spend more money on gems instead to enjoy summer cuz they need to make more money as soon as outer AAA f2p mmo’s comes me and my guild are stoping this DRESS up SKIN wars game .NO raids epic FAIL for any mmo !!!

^ word up to the ‘dress up skin wars game’ :P
It’s kind of a waste that alot of awesome new skins go straight to the gem store, instead of acting as rewards for new permanent content that’ll keep old players playing. Simple example: Aetherized armor skin in exchange for sky pirate dungeon tokens, etc~

zestalyn.tumblr

in Queen's Jubilee

Mia Lunarfang.5826

I think it would give the opportunity of introducing creative gameplay mechanics, rather than the usual hack ‘n slash DPS zerg. Alot of people complain how GW2’s missions aren’t as creative and strategic as those in GW1, a complaint I wholeheartedly agree with. Like instead of ‘run around and kill mobs of risen’ it could be more ‘kill risen by doing this and that and while you’re at it, watch out for this’ (which was more like GW1..GW2 has a tiny bit of that going on here and there but definitelynot enough) Sure it’s essentially a mop up job, but Orr is still a pretty big (and mysterious) place. Some creativity could go a long way with a place like that.

So like resettling Orr maybe? Piory missions to uncover relics and knowledge, vigil missions to mop up the Orrians, and Order of whispers missions building new towns, maybe an extension of territory controlled by lionsarch?

in Queen's Jubilee

Mia Lunarfang.5826

^ word up to the ‘dress up skin wars game’ :P
It’s kind of a waste that alot of awesome new skins go straight to the gem store, instead of acting as rewards for new permanent content that’ll keep old players playing. Simple example: Aetherized armor skin in exchange for sky pirate dungeon tokens, etc~

kitten that, there is nothing saying you have to get the skins. For me, the only skins released in living story that I wanted was were the Jade ones during the dragon festival. So I busted my but to get them. I don’t care about the other skins, so ill ignore them.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

I’m a bit tired of temporary content, but none of it has made me spend money, so no clue what you’re going on about. I’m also fine with no raids :P

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Laundry.5120

Laundry.5120

I was an ardent supporter of Guild Wars 2 until recently, but there’s just too much twisting of the word “content” that I find unappealing.

Mini-games that are totally detached from the world, and things that should have been in the game from the start (Champions dropping actual loot) are not content.

For PVE, things like a cleansed Orr that shows a change to people who’ve completed their storylines is content.

For WvW, it’s gotten a miniscule portion of the updates that PVE has gotten, if that. Don’t call WXP content because it isn’t. What about reskinning the borderlands and EB into Kryta, Ascalon, Maguuma, and Shiverpeaks?

I can’t speak for anyone else, but when I purchased GW2, I was not under the impression most updates would revolve around pseudo-holiday events,with mini-games, and platformer jumping as the main attraction of an MMO RPG.

Lavanderie – 80 Mesmer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Electrique – 80 Engineer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Hey folks,

- tonnes of reasonable sounding stuff-

This is all well and good, Colin, but what is the advantage to the player of this content appearing and disappearing?

(I’m talking specifically about the Gauntlet, not stuff like Halloween which is real-world seasonal too)

I can see how it’s advantageous to ArenaNet to have the ability to switch it on and off so it seems like we’re getting more new content in any given month. But what is the benefit to the playerbase?

I don’t mean to be combative so apologies if it comes off that way – I’m genuinely curious what you think we’re gaining from this approach as players.

We are avoiding burnout. By limiting the time we can participate, that time becomes special instead of monotonous.

I feel the opposite. The temporariness of the content make it more monotonous, because we have to do the stuff only during that time frame, especially us achievement completionists.

Thank you, Colin. I hope people will be satisfied with your answer.

They won’t be sadly.

I know I’m not. His “answers” never amount to anything. Its always vague and pretty much never happens. Just like his “permanent” stuff in his post. As other have said, that’s quality of life stuff, not actual content…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Harlekin.2981

Harlekin.2981

You know what needs to disappear? The corruption in Orr.

While the Living Story evolves, Orr is frozen in time. Just doesn’t make any sense.

And how much sense would it make doing the personal story for new players if there are no Risen nor a corrupted Orr?

They need to to do what WoW did and have Phasing.

That is what truly would make this game’s atmosphere perfect. Phasing and the living story combined. But I guess implementing phasing means a hell of a lot of work. But who knows whether we will see it one day?

To those who don’t know what phasing is: When you get to an area and you free it from corruption, you then may see flowers bloom again and stuff like that. Other players who haven’t cleansed the corruption will of course not witness the flowers, birds and fresh water. i.e. they are in a different “phase”.

(edited by Harlekin.2981)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Finally you created an interesting activity in a city and you´re gona kill it.

I´m actually not even surprised anymore.

Could start arguing about at least leaving the Gauntlet in.
But frankly I stopped caring as I won´t even bother with it(just like I didn´t with the Aether Stuff) due to it´s temporary nature AND increased difficulty.

You seem to really like alienating your playerbase.

Polish > hype

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I´m actually not even surprised anymore.

Could start arguing about at least leaving the Gauntlet in.
But frankly I stopped caring as I won´t even bother with it(just like I didn´t with the Aether Stuff) due to it´s temporary nature AND increased difficulty.

You seem to really like alienating your playerbase.

RECURRING.

As in: Here now. Gone Later. Back Again.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

in Queen's Jubilee

HawkMeister.4758

RECURRING.

Ok, after rereading Collin´s somewhat wordy statement I finally noticed that little well hidden sentence.
And I personally have no problem with the Pavilion becoming a recurring festival, too big of a farming spot anyway.

Still the Gauntlet would´ve been perfect as the first one of actually meaningful upgrades to the deserted cities.

Oh well. I won´t miss what I have never seen.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

RECURRING.

Ok, after rereading Collin´s somewhat wordy statement I finally noticed that little well hidden sentence.
And I personally have no problem with the Pavilion becoming a recurring festival, too big of a farming spot anyway.

Still the Gauntlet would´ve been perfect as the first one of actually meaningful upgrades to the deserted cities.

I haven’t played it yet so I don’t know if it is worth keeping around, but I can certainly understand wanting fun content to be more available.

However, I also understand that making content recurring does two important things:
1. Keeps us from getting burnt out on the content.
2. Creates an incentive to keep playing year after year.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Queen's Jubilee

HawkMeister.4758

However, I also understand that making content recurring does two important things:
1. Keeps us from getting burnt out on the content.
2. Creates an incentive to keep playing year after year.

Oh sure, totally agree.
But there have been numerous threads almost form launch that cities NEED content too.
What I have seen on twitch.tv of the Gauntlet looked very promising and a great way to hone your playing skills and builds. Or just have some solo fun.
In other words the perfect permanent addition and a non-stupid mini-game to boot.

Polish > hype

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

The question I have now lets say I have all the achievements for all this seasonal content. When it comes back around the second time will there be enough new stuff to keep me entertained?

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

The question I have now lets say I have all the achievements for all this seasonal content. When it comes back around the second time will there be enough new stuff to keep me entertained?

That’s what I’m wondering too. If during Halloween I see that they are just reusing the same old achievements and skins instead of creating a whole new set, I’m going to move on to another game.

I don’t mind if they enable people who missed the previous years to be able to get the achievements, but this should not limit the amount of new content. Also, rare skins should not be reintroduced.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

About the fact that Orr is frozen in time, I can remember a dev said once that it is quite a complicated case and that they’re not glad with it either. They said that making different versions of Orr is technical a possibility, but they don’t want to shatter their players, pretty much to keep the world alive.

I don’t know how they can and will proceed on this matter.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Well, seems to me that this content requires a zerg. Probably by making it reoccuring you will have enough people when it is available to make it doable. For once I’m not going to complain about it being temporary.

I’m not a fan of the temporariness of content here in general though. I hope they make it work for them. I’m frustrated not know what is going to repeat and what is gone forever. I wish they would make it clear. Mark the things that will be gone forever with a mark that indicates that. Then I would ignore the other stuff since it would later return. -_-

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

…From the update of mini-games becoming permanent on a rotation…

Are you serious? You took keg brawl, which was permanent, and made it time limited content. It’s actually an insult that you just put that in your post.

Kegmaster

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

Snip

Holy crap! Thank you for addressing this in the context of the current update! I’m going to hold you to your word that in 2 weeks your new “strategy” will come into effect…and be successful. Again, thanks for communicating.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Erika.8256

Erika.8256

As stated above so many times, the permanent content added are features that should have been in the game from the start or shortly after, not almost one year later. But fine, I’ll cut some slack on that regard.

It’s cool that features are being added – but that is not content.

Where are new dungeons? I only saw temporary ones. Why is it that new fractals only now just surfaced? The entire fractal idea doesn’t really have to be all lore-related or anything…so many new fractals that could be created to keep us “pve fans” busy.

How about new maps? New locations? Or will they only appear for expansions? We can all see portals to other zones not yet unlocked…

Honestly, my main complaint is that no one ever considers that maybe, just maybe, those who finished world explore once or multiple times might want something new. I’m bored of the same old zones. I’m sick of the 2-week events where i can already guess the achievements by reading the “preview” and have to roll my eyes and sigh at the idea of having to again go through the entire map just to get my achievement done.

I stopped having fun after the 3rd repetitive “living story” where i had to go kill x stuff, press F x times (loot bags, light effigies, open chest, do something…) and watch a short cutscene.

While the theme is different, the same repetitive boring actions are taken.

I want more dungeons like the F&F content had…it was fun. This..i don’t really know what to say, it doesn’t feel that fun anymore. Maybe I need a break from GW2. As someone said earlier, maybe the 1 year celebration will be worth it.

Sorry for the length of the post and try not to throw tomatoes my way.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

This event is horrible beyond comprehension, so you may want to pencil in a complete redesign of it for next year, then consider recycling that in following years.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

Since OP brought up Wildstar.. I’d like to mention the possible threat of GW2 also competing w/ Everquest Next/Landmark. EQN has a ton of ambitious genre-revolutionizing goals like Anet did, one of which includes open world manipulation and ‘emergent ai’ – both things will (supposedly) accomplish the true sense of a “living world” .. to the extent new players wouldnt be starting in the same kind of world older players had started in. Lots of community feedback showed people expressing genuine interest, and many had brought up being disappointed by GW2’s promises, no joke.

I have to agree about EQN. I mean, I like to think I’m as much of a GW / Anet fanboy as you can reasonably be. I’ve been a loyal customer singing their praises since GW1 beta. I’m also not too shy about spending money on expansions and the in-game store. So bear that in mind before thinking I’m trolling or something.

I never even played EQ1 or 2. I’ve never had any interest or loyalty toward that franchise. But what EQN is aiming for looks as far beyond GW2 as GW2 is beyond WoW. It seems like a true next-gen MMO (like this one was supposed to be). Some things they clearly borrowed from GW2, but they’re going far beyond that.

The living story in GW2 so far feels like I’m “along for the ride”. I have no personal involvement. I had nothing to do with helping to gain access to Southsun, or building the Pavaillion, or anything really. One moment they weren’t there, <restart client> and then they were. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the changes and look forward to many more. Even if I am just a spectator along for the ride, I intend to keep seeing where we go. But being a spectator with meaningless busy work isn’t quite the same as actually being involved with changing the world.

We have all these Dynamic Events that have no real impact on the world. It doesn’t matter if we fail or succeed; it will just get reset in a few minutes anyway. This is still way better than the old-style questing of other games. But it’s also not NEARLY as dynamic and world-changing as they sounded like they would be. We always have the same enemies spawning in the same places doing the same things. Then we get the Living Story, which is nice, but I’m just watching things happen (that are usually gone without a trace in a couple weeks). I’m not actually helping to MAKE these things happen. I’m just an observer with some non-world-changing achievements to knock out while it’s there.

Obviously GW2 can never have the destructibility feature of EQN due to Tyria not being made of voxels. That’s fine. But what about the “Emergent AI”? That sounds awfully interesting and more dynamic than our static mobs. Couldn’t something be done about that?

In EQN, it’s supposed to remember every interaction you ever have, and your actions have consequence. How you play your character will have a meaningful effect. In GW2, we have an uncommonly-deep back story we choose, and that is very cool. But after the first 30-40 levels of personal story, it stops being of any relevance to anything. We also have the Dignity / Charm / Aggression feature, but that also has no effect on anything that I’m aware of. It doesn’t affect how NPCs treat us, or earn us any kind of reputation. What can we do in Tyria that will have any real lasting effect ..either for our characters or for the world?

Even if we can’t destroy/build things, and even if our mobs have to remain static …can’t we at least play a legitimate role in shaping the world somehow (or actually make decisions that matter on a personal level)? Can’t we have a more involved and consequential experience?

It saddens me to say that GW2 hasn’t been shaping up to be as much of a “living world” as I had hoped it would be …and EQN looks like it will be (if they can deliver on even half of what’s promised). As much as I plan to stay in Tyria for years to come, if this new option ends up pretty decent, I can see it presenting a dilemma for me and I think many others.

I’m an adult with responsibilities and only so much time I can put into gaming. The reality is I can’t give equally meaningful attention to a bunch of different MMOs, and I see some very compelling competition coming your way. Though I think this competition is probably a couple years away still.

But at some point it will be time to look at the options the see who better delivered on the promise of a “living breathing world”. I hope the answer would be GW2, but right now I’m not so confident that will be the case.

Colin / Anet, I would ask you to give this some very serious consideration if you haven’t already (though I’m sure you’re well aware already). I think you guys are incredibly creative, talented, and forward-thinking. You’ve earned a lot of respect and reputation for daring to be different and being leaders of innovation. Please don’t let yourselves get flanked by SOE.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

You guys should be glad you actually get new content. As a WvW centric player I have yet to see anything other than the bi-weekly new WvW trait tree addition.

Little red Lioka

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

It saddens me to say that GW2 hasn’t been shaping up to be as much of a “living world” as I had hoped it would be …and EQN looks like it will be (if they can deliver on even half of what’s promised). As much as I plan to stay in Tyria for years to come, if this new option ends up pretty decent, I can see it presenting a dilemma for me and I think many others.

That’s really the kicker on that, isn’t it? Can they actually deliver on what they promise. EQ2 actually was meant to have some form of dynamic events even way back in 2004, but it was scrapped. We’ve yet to see how the realities of development will hit what they’re promising with EQN.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Eroiqua.5891

Eroiqua.5891

How about a compromise. Keep the temporary content temporary…but don’t start the timer running until after all the bugs are fixed. That way, Anet can call it “temporary”, but we’ll still have it around in some buggy form or another for a very long time.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I don’t think any dev ever completely delivers on their vision, whether it’s Anet or SOE. I think Anet went a long way toward reaching theirs, but not far enough. SOE’s vision far surpasses what he hoped for here, and I’m sure it won’t all work out quite as planned either.

But If they can “mostly” get there in a similar way to how Anet “mostly” got there …then EQN may still end up being what GW2 was supposed to have been. They don’t have to take the genre all the way as far as they hope to. They just have to take it farther than GW2 did. And if they do, well ..I’d hate to be put in a situation where I’d have to admit my beloved GW2 wasn’t the better option.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Is the Queens Pavilion temporary or perm? If temporary, what are we going to do with that huge and well done space?

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WhiteFox.9432

WhiteFox.9432

I’m glad to read that they will look into ways that will allow players to experience the story sequences that will go away as the story moves forward.
It shouldn’t be hard to do… just created (different?) NPC’s in an instanced area that allows you to view small GW2 style art movies about the story.
A bit like the scrying pool in GW1 HoM perhaps?

Just keep in mind that Christmas events, Queen’s Jubilee (every anniversary), and Halloween are set in stone. So… I’m not really complaining.

What I am afraid off, is with the announcement that there probably will be no expansion packs, that they will take the easy way out: recycle parts of the models or story even to create new area’s.
But so far, this hasn’t happened. I would just love to see a world shocking event, that opens up the desert and let’s you play a new dungeon and new area’s and enemies. (A new dragon even!)

Maybe that will be possible next year, when they have had enough time to work undercover, while old events return.

All in all this feels like they are saying: “We can do better then WoW: Cataclysm. And we can prove it!”
So far, things are going slow, I have yet to see a new/changed region that replaces an expansion pack.

But for now that’s ok. They have a year or two, give or take, before I will get tired of the “state” of this game.