Am I the only one who likes this patch?

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Harlekin.2981

Harlekin.2981

I absolutely loved the conversations in the LA instance, especially when some scholar recapitulated everything that has happened so far. For the very first time in the living story I now really want to find out about Scarlet’s motives and chase that lunatic (if she really is??) further.

Gameplay-wise I have only tried the marionette encounter yet which I thought was quite ok. Not a big fan of lag festivals though :-(

Ay Caramba!

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

standing and waiting for boss yah so fun…zz

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Yes, you are the only one.

This is the worst patch. Truly it is. I played since day one.

Posted by: Harlekin.2981

Harlekin.2981

Well then so be it. Good for me, bad for you guys! :-(

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I absolutely loved the conversations in the LA instance, especially when some scholar recapitulated everything that has happened so far. For the very first time in the living story I now really want to find out about Scarlet’s motives and chase that lunatic (if she really is??) further.

Gameplay-wise I have only tried the marionette encounter yet which I thought was quite ok. Not a big fan of lag festivals though :-(

Ay Caramba!

The patch is fine. People complain about everything. I’ve been here since launch. I’m glad to see there’s someone else who still plays this game for it’s intended purpose. Namely, fun.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Most likely.
I’m still at work and haven’t gotten to try them, but yeah, I already have this feeling I’m not going to like it either, which means this is going to be a real pain in the kitten 2 weeks.

Ay Caramba!

The patch is fine. People complain about everything. I’ve been here since launch. I’m glad to see there’s someone else who still plays this game for it’s intended purpose. Namely, fun.

Most of the fun went away with the zerg content patches (namely the ones requiring extreme coordination and putting the time limits on the world bosses. Stuff that requires that kind of coordination should be instanced things, not open world stuff).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The story instance was good. Unfortunately, my current balance is:

5 minutes of pretty good story instance.
30 minutes of boss fights that were more frustrating than fun, because nobody in the map understood the mechanics.
3+ hours of standing around, waiting for things to happen without a clue whether I was required to do anything.

After some 4 hours of playing on patch day, I want to go to bed with a feeling of “Yay, seen new things, done new things, found new things, have a list of achievements to do, can’t wait to log back in tomorrow!” – this is what usually happens to me on patch day. Sadly, today, I am now going to bed with a feeling of “GW2 just wasted 3 hours of my time.”

When clicking the event thingies in the HUD, they sent me to the waypoints, but the NPCs were not helpful at all. I assumed the bosses were on a timer, so my only choice was to stand around and get increasingly cranky. When the wurm fight finally happened, the lack of guidance managed to kill the mood entirely.

The story instance isn’t the problem in this patch.

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

Seems like nowadays people are only playing for Achievements and rewards.

This patch and the one before it added A LOT of story to the game. I’m glad some of us enjoy the story more than the rewards.

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

skullmount.1758

This patch and the one before it added A LOT of story to the game. I’m glad some of us enjoy the story more than the rewards.

Thats because its all they pretty much give us. Its always more achievements/waiting/zerging/grinding content than any kind of story.

Darkhaven server

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Would have enjoyed it but as usual anet decides to make this open world meaning you gotta rely on randoms to complete it.

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

The event itself is super fun (Marionette) the wait time however isn’t fun.

Posted by: Orange.9701

Orange.9701

The wait time isn’t fun.

(edited by Orange.9701)

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

Yes.
Standing around for 2 hours waiting for it to begin, and still not having been let in when the fighting stops is not fun.

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Well with the story being rubbish, and the fun being on a lag server just to whack at a boss that drops rubbish….

Of course, what do you expect white knights?

WHITE KNIGHT LOGIC: “It’s not ANet’s fault for these unpopular patches… it’s the players fault for not liking this short unpopular patches. Clearly it’s the customer fault for not receive whatever is thrown at us.”

OUR BAD WHITE KNIGHTS, OUR BAD

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

Yes.
Standing around for 2 hours waiting for it to begin, and still not having been let in when the fighting stops is not fun.

Why are you standing around for two hours? You know you can show up later and make it right? They both spawn every two hours, so just show up like 10 minutes before to set up.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I hope so because standing around for two hours waiting for a spawn which success depends entirely on how many hot bodies you can bring is not particularly entertaining.

Why are you standing around for two hours? You know you can show up later and make it right? They both spawn every two hours, so just show up like 10 minutes before to set up.

So he won’t get booted to an overflow?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I enjoyed it. I have an odd fondness for chewing glass to learn encounters, and getting surprised by how they go instead of pre-learning it all from the web before my first view. It’s going to feel great when the Wurm and Marionette go down.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yes.

We know that now, after we’ve stood around waiting for the boss fights for 2 hours.

You’re welcome

Posted by: Firearm.6904

Firearm.6904

No, you are not the only one that enjoyed this patch. The story had some of the best writing and exposition to date, they’ve added more permanent content (something many people seem to glance over,) and perhaps most importantly, it’s DAY ONE of the release. If they make content that you can beat in a day, people will complain. If they make content that is difficult and takes coordination, people will also complain. We have two weeks to either attempt or beat the marionette, and then we move on. I am okay with this.

As countless others have stated, Anet will never be able to release anything that doesn’t receive complaints.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Yes.

So that you join an overflow with NO coordination at all which will ensure that everything kittens up? No thank you.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

The fights have amazing mechanics, it is just executed horribely. Anet needs to realize a few things

1. No body likes waiting for timed spawns. I understand the need to do it to prevent farming, but I’d rather spend an hour filling up some meter by collecting items from around the map then waiting 3 hours just standing. I know you can go out and do anything, but I’ve played since release. I don’t feel like grinding/“collecting” for a legendary/ascended item so I don’t have a lot to do. I also don’t have all day and have a limited time I can play. So when I do play I’d like to do the boss, not wait 3 hours.

2. Coordination with pugs is frustrating. If I could just hop into this fight with 50 of my guildies, I’d have a ton more fun. Instead I have to try to communicate with 50 random people, most of whom dont listen. I can’t tell you how many times in these fights i saw people just standing still in red circles or just absorbing a ton of unnecessary damage.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Spawn timers are too long and they added the greatest artificial difficulty of them all. Other people’s stupidity. A standard instance would have been much better, where you can succeed or fail on your own merits, not because Jack and Jill were RPing in the corner and let their lane fail.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I absolutely loved the conversations in the LA instance,

That’s all I’ve found so far that I like about this. The voice acting in there is nice.

It’s just like Tequatl otherwise. A whooooooooole lot of waiting around.

Waiting waiting waiting. ArenaNet tell us they’re learning. They never seem to learn the lesson that players, especially having waited 6+ weeks, don’t want to have to wait hours in between content spawns. :/

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Well I’ve logged in a few times now – got a mail, so went to lorners pass and hunted for other people – stood around for a while reading chat then got bored and logged off. Then logged in another character (no mail this time) went to bloodstone, hunted for other people – stood around for a while reading chat, then got bored and logged off. Came to the forums and found that apparently there’s a story instance in LA that’s not mentioned in game that involves standing around looking at chat – sounds like fun!

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

This is the worst patch. Truly it is. I played since day one.

I have to agree here, this is probably the worst content I have experienced to date, not a great sign for the remainder of the Scarlet arc.

Guess I will just go off and do normal stuff, much more fun and a million times more rewarding.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: starwatto.4527

starwatto.4527

As some more constructive players (“This is the worst patch.” isn’t a real argument) have said above – the encounters are fun and great, but timers are bad and having it in open world is bad. Marionette could have been awesome raid instance, instead we have to rely on absolute strangers while we are doing it. Overall, I like the update, just don’t 100% agree with it’s execution. We have overflows, which basically are just big alternative instances, why can’t we have these for guilds or something?

Casually hardcore since 2012
Aurora Glade
[rddt]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Well then so be it. Good for me, bad for you guys! :-(

I liked the fights. Wanted more stuff to do mind you. Certainly you aren’t alone though

Posted by: Moonjelly.3742

Moonjelly.3742

Well with the story being rubbish, and the fun being on a lag server just to whack at a boss that drops rubbish….

WHITE KNIGHT LOGIC: “It’s not ANet’s fault for these unpopular patches… it’s the players fault for not liking this short unpopular patches. Clearly it’s the customer fault for not receive whatever is thrown at us.”

Your tantrum aside, this all boils down to personal opinion. That being said, either side of the fence arguments on something doesn’t make anyone right or wrong. Vocal minority doesn’t speak for quiet majority, so who knows what the other hundreds of thousands of people who play (and avoid the forums like the plague) think.

It’s one thing to voice constructive criticism in a mature manner, but to throw a hissy fit like a spoiled 4 year old brat isn’t going to get anyone anywhere. This entitled attitude that every content patch MUST contain something that everyone and their little brother will enjoy is strange to say the least.

Anyway, to the OP: I am enjoying the patch thus far. The scene with Kasmeer and Marjory was very well written, and what is going on with Rox and Braham I’m really interested to see how that turns out. Plus that little Asura is so kitten cute, I want a mini of her!

A couple things I really am not happy with though. The timers need to be far more frequent and sync up with each other for the first few days at least. Give enough time for everyone to group and get sorted out before the encounter, but having to wait around for 1-2 hours inbetween is tedious, and I foresee a lot of people losing interest very quickly.
Also Wurm event could really use to be tweaked (champ spawns are loopy). Not saying it needs to be mindless whack-a-mole, but as it stands now the fight is quite a mess.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

What is this story and conversation people are talking about?

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Your desire to ridicule people that like this update is disturbing.

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

It’s an extremely lack luster patch to say the least.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

As some more constructive players (“This is the worst patch.” isn’t a real argument)

You are 100% right “This is the worst patch” is not an argument, it is not an argument at all. In fact it is a statement of personal opinion not designed to convince anyone but to inform others that they are -personally- displeased.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Just curious, have many people been trying to do the rest of the living story content? I’m talking about finding Scarlets Lair, unlocking that, and then unlocking her chest?

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: Vorsakan.8259

Vorsakan.8259

Afraid I’ve got to plump for the negative side here.

I’ve taken a month off to play other (non-MMO) games, and jumping back into GW2 with this it’s just /ThrowsHandsUp baffling.

First it’s landscape changes (excited-ooh!) and spaceships (ooh? when did we get those?), then it’s waiting & waiting & waiting some more.
I was out at work 08:30 till 18:00; if I was ever in the habit of waiting on a game, I got out of it again this past month.
When the event does start it’s a barrage of instructions plus a bar and n/5 count plus another n/5 count for chains, that it’s not discussing.
Then there’s a screen full of people and everything’s a slideshow, but I keep pressing 1 so I think I must be hitting/helping?
A team has failed.
Was it me? Am I in a team?
Spam 1 so more and interact with a box and I can suddenly move again, in a party fight against an easy champion – am I supposed to be dodging the puppet-thing somehow?
Is it doing anything for that matter – it’s not on my screen…
Then some more waiting around – A team has failed.
Wha?
Kill/lag-spam-1-at some more grunts – Event failed.
Cut to a cinematic camera on the puppet, then it disappears abruptly and camera is back on character showing everyone defeated – was there supposed to be a cinematic attack there?
Is the spaceship a raygun?
Waypoint and review loot – 5 new stacks of event-specific tokens…
STOP THE RIDE, I WANT TO GET OFF.

I don’t know; perhaps this would make a lick of sense & provide a quantum of enjoyment if I hadn’t put GW2 down for a month – but if my brother wasn’t playing (and big on the co-ordination/event tracking side that I am not), I honestly think I would have uninstalled and not looked back.
I’m not sure how my simple desire for “more GW1 please!” led me to whatever I ‘played’ tonight, but I think I’m just done with GW2 outside of co-op.
Family gaming time trumps all, but honestly I have no words for what this is right now – highlight of my evening: exchanging silly chat with my brother, and I don’t have to log-in for that.
/WrapsUpInNostalgiaBlanketAndWeepsForWhatMightHaveBeen

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Just curious, have many people been trying to do the rest of the living story content? I’m talking about finding Scarlets Lair, unlocking that, and then unlocking her chest?

As I understand it in order for that to become active you have to participate in the marionette event – since here is no in-game indication of when the marionette event starts, all most people seem to be doing at the moment is standing around waiting for something to happen.

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

I didn’t even get the instance in LA, and I did the marionette event twice!

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

The event itself is super fun (Marionette) the wait time however isn’t fun.

That is it. I actually really like the Marionette fight. The wait however… that totally ruins any fun or satisfaction I get out of it. By the time I’ve waited out the timer I’m totally hacked off.

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

Why not start the update with a bit of a story leading you as to what is to come. Not here fight this… story to come…Oh and by the way you have to wait every 2 hours if you fail…So much fun…NOT!

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am finding this patch interesting- I like that it contains a lot of story and I am very interested to see what happens next.

The space bot fight was fun too- even with a fail in overflow.

haven’t done the wurm yet because of a bugged escort quest in my overflow last night

My only complaint is that the 2 bosses run on timers and not pre-events

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Atlas.4509

Atlas.4509

You are certainly not alone OP, most of us are just too busy enjoying the content to worry about posting on the forums :P

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

LS is fun. I’m looking forward to trying it several more times before it goes away.
New world boss (wurm) – I’m still weighing in on how I feel about it.
Consumable ‘pet’ changes – Understandable, but far, far too heavy handed in how it was implemented and explained (and wth is up with the nerf to the charzooka?)
Black Lion Changes / items – Meh. They need to make money. I won’t fault them for that.
Other changes – Good, I guess.

skullmount.1758

Marionette is an ok fight. Doesn’t require much coordination, just people to know the fights/champions. I found it pretty enjoyable, when we have enough players/commanders. We still haven’t finished it (out of the 3 attempts I tried we only to 3rd warden, and that was the last attempt), but its a lot more enjoyable then the kitten new Wurm.

Wurm on the other hands is a real pain in the kitten. Just as kittenedly hard as Teq. Requiring that much coordination between that many players is asking too much. It (and Teq) needs a lot better scaling, so us small servers (or even big servers at low player number times) have at least a shot at it.

Black Lion Changes / items – Meh. They need to make money. I won’t fault them for that.

True, but they could make it actually give us good stuff. Master Essence of Luck (50 one), really? We waste a key and can get that? Tonics and scraps should be guaranteed items in addition to the other two/three items we get randomly. They’re still not even close to being worth spending gems on the keys.

Darkhaven server

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I had a lot of fun running both new events last night. I loved that you could just rotate between the two with time for Inventory Cleaning in between.

Already counting down until I get home tonight to hop back on

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

True, but they could make it actually give us good stuff. Master Essence of Luck (50 one), really? We waste a key and can get that? Tonics and scraps should be guaranteed items in addition to the other two/three items we get randomly. They’re still not even close to being worth spending gems on the keys.

RNG is RNG. We call them gamble boxes for a reason.
If a player is not alright with ‘losing’ when opening these things, they shouldn’t spend their money/gems on them.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

The events themselves I love. The waiting isn’t as bad this time because there are 2 events but overflow is and remains a problem. If there was a solution to this then I’d be a super happy camper. As it stands, I am fairly happy. :P

Posted by: Irikami.6270

Irikami.6270

The game lose the soul together with this massive zergs updates, you know what was a good update? Bazaar of Four Winds, the best one, why? Music, the creativity, the awesome area.

Artien Ni, Engineer
Naraku no Kitsune, Necromancer
Fort Aspenwood (GODS)

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“The game lose the soul together with this massive zergs updates, you know what was a good update? Bazaar of Four Winds, the best one, why? Music, the creativity, the awesome area.”

It was a pretty good update but I don’t know about “best”, the area was very limited. Cute mechanics unless you hate JP and then I am sure it was Hell. To each their own though.

I think some zerg content is ok, but there needs to be an equal share of zerg verse non zerg content, and that isn’t really the case currently or for this patch. I would expect to see more of it to come with the next few updates as well.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

The game lose the soul together with this massive zergs updates, you know what was a good update? Bazaar of Four Winds, the best one, why? Music, the creativity, the awesome area.

I agree. Loved that update.

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I love this patch! I have loved Scarlet all along. People come on here to b*tch and complain, but they are a minority. Most people love the game—therefore they’re in the game playing it. Also, most people don’t give a rat’s behind about the forums. ultimately, the forums are not an accurate indication of what people think.

Posted by: RolandMode.2749

RolandMode.2749

The Marionette event is a lot fun, not too hard, not too easy either.
People qqing about waiting: wurm starts in uneven, marionette starts in even hours .
And you don’t have to stand there for hours, you can do anything in the meantime . The only waiting is 20-30 mins before the event, only if you don’t wanna play in overflow.