Nightmare tower = Sword Arts Online!!!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Steve.5197

Steve.5197

If anyone of you watched Sword Arts Online (anime), Then you will see the resemblance of a tower with levels to clear. I am so excited as for how people interact with the nightmare tower. Huge zerk on lower levels of the tower, and then you begin to split up as you progress tower floors, just like SAO. AWESOME JOB AREANET! Love this game and the anime, best of both worlds haha.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

Could be like anything really, even Legend of Zelda OoT gannon tower.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

To me, it was more like that really old game Azure Blue.

in The Nightmare Within

Steve.5197

Did you mean Azure Dreams?! That was an amazing game!!!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Sure because SAO invented those things right? How about you remeber what SAO is about, it might help you.

(edited by Cyhann.2609)

in The Nightmare Within

Xae Isareth.1364

That was it! I still don;t get who came up with the idea of having the main character’s father’s partner becoming the main antagonist’s arm though. Was like wat.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I still play the Gameboy version of that sometimes. It’s a great game.

To the OP – I have no idea who invented them originally but they’re called dungeon crawlers and are a very old concept, possibly older than RPGs. In fact I think modern RPGs evolved as a combination of the hack and slash style dungeon crawler concept and purely story based text adventures.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in The Nightmare Within

Steve.5197

Sure because SAO invented those things right? How about you remeber what SAO is about, it might help you.

Talk about attitude, haha. Well, the main thing about SAO was they were imprisoned in the game. And your right, they did not invent the tower system. Its just when i was watching SAO it was epic as they progressed up the floors, and just having a system barely similar in GW2 got me excited, haha.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Tower of Druaga also had a tower.

in The Nightmare Within

Steve.5197

Tower of Druaga also had a tower.

OH! That was an amazing anime, both season 1 and 2. Completely slipped my mind.. I kinda hated the ending lmao.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: moon dancer.4712

moon dancer.4712

Yup, it reminded me of SAO too.

Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: PolishSausage.1279

PolishSausage.1279

If anyone of you watched Sword Arts Online (anime), Then you will see the resemblance of a tower with levels to clear.

The only way for the tower to be anything like that godawful series is if there was a mary sue protagonist who LITERALLY could not die and game mechanics that had no place but to progress the plot. Oh, and don’t forget the creepy incest.

Seriously, though, go watch Log Horizon if you want a MMORPG themed anime that’s actually good.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

SAO was a bad anime and you should feel bad for liking it.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

i prefer .hack//Sign, but i might be a bit old haha

(i didn`t get the appeal from SAO, also Log Horizon is actually much better)

Though even in .hack//G.U. they had the 100 floor tower…

Nah, the Big TowerClimbing is a very old RPG trope. Azure Dreams, Star Ocean 3, heck, even Final Fantasy had it in X-2….

For older games i have to think a bit more, these are just from the top off my hat

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

I liked SAO. I just wonder if the Lead-Developer here ressembles the one from it as well.

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

um…sao was a copy of basically any old fashioned rpg…

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

when I heard tower I automatically thought about SAO and all the other stories games etc that has the tower concept. really excited me and it was what I wanted. I wanted more verticality in gw2 and sure enough this is kinda cool. wish there were more levels tho xD

in The Nightmare Within

Steve.5197

If anyone of you watched Sword Arts Online (anime), Then you will see the resemblance of a tower with levels to clear.

The only way for the tower to be anything like that godawful series is if there was a mary sue protagonist who LITERALLY could not die and game mechanics that had no place but to progress the plot. Oh, and don’t forget the creepy incest.

Seriously, though, go watch Log Horizon if you want a MMORPG themed anime that’s actually good.

Hey thanks for the recommendation, i will check it out! Any thing i should know before diving into it? Pretty excited cause of the mmorpg genre.

in The Nightmare Within

Steve.5197

(i didn`t get the appeal from SAO, also Log Horizon is actually much better)

Though even in .hack//G.U. they had the 100 floor tower…

Nah, the Big TowerClimbing is a very old RPG trope. Azure Dreams, Star Ocean 3, heck, even Final Fantasy had it in X-2….

For older games i have to think a bit more, these are just from the top off my hat

Haha, your not old at all! Although the one i watched was .hack//sign. Where the main protagonist was a male in the game world and stuck in it but in real life hes a female!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Uvatha.5476

Uvatha.5476

For fun towers in games try out the Shin Megami Tensei series. Hundreds of floors of tower crawling. Tartarus anyone?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hahaha I just managed to buy this game a month ago and am loving it all over again now and then.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

If anyone of you watched Sword Arts Online (anime), Then you will see the resemblance of a tower with levels to clear. I am so excited as for how people interact with the nightmare tower. Huge zerk on lower levels of the tower, and then you begin to split up as you progress tower floors, just like SAO. AWESOME JOB AREANET! Love this game and the anime, best of both worlds haha.

It isn’t even remotely similar.

In Sword Art Online, there is a big reward for completion, and the actual game is well designed and allows for player skill (the combat that the players experience is a cross between a game like Bayonetta and Street Fighter) and item selection to carry the day (see the character who is nearly invincible because he put defense and regen on his gear).

GW2 is all about rockemsockem robots.

And Sword Art Online just copied the tower idea from the .Hack series.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

Sword Art Online English Dub Trailer [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Jl_-b7ju0[/url] Tower of Druaga [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqlbSZviTS8[/url]

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

(edited by Adventurous Cookie.1658)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

Tower of Druaga series, dating from waaaaay back before you were probably born.

Dungeons like this are nothing new.

Also, Sword Art Online is bad.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

I was born on the 86 (/^-^(^ ^*)/

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: PolishSausage.1279

PolishSausage.1279

Hey thanks for the recommendation, i will check it out! Any thing i should know before diving into it? Pretty excited cause of the mmorpg genre.

Not really, but if you’re familiar with older MMOs like Everquest and Final Fantasy XI, then a lot of the mechanics and terms should become instantly recognizable to you, especially since the creator actually has video game experience and used a lot of them for inspiration. Seriously, the first episode alone blows the entirety of SAO out of the water.

Also, prepare yourself for the best kitten intro this season.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Well the Living Story certainly isn’t of danger of having that. The plot never progresses. It repeats.

The other things… plenty of Sue writing in GW2 (Kasmeer and Marjory are crossing into fan-fiction writing in the last two updates) and apparently everyone in the Personal Story is immune to death, then again, none of the new Living Story protagonists (Rox, Braham, Kiel, Marjory, Kasmeer) seem to be in danger of death either.

I really liked the tower and level clearing feel. It was probably the best open world content the game has had. More than anything else it encouraged forming parties but it didn’t just degenerate into giant zergs (because of the fast respawns it becomes very difficult to keep up). I though the concept of a tower with levels to be cleared was kinda lame from a lore point of view but in game it was incredibly fun. I really want to see this idea return in the future in a much more substantial form.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

I was born on the 86 (/^-^(^ ^*)/

Wasn’t talking directly to you, my bad because I see how that could have been perceived as the case. But that’s cool, I was born on the 84.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Preacher.9018

Preacher.9018

>SAO
>not Tower of Druaga
OP is a… a person new to anime.

http://www.pevepe.net/ – Seafarers Rest Server community website

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

SAO still better than that new MMORPG anime(Log Horizon). Lol. But still a lot worse than all the other good stuff out there.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

>SAO
>not Tower of Druaga
OP is a… a person new to anime.

more like new to gaming in generall

whole tower climbing existed waaaaayyy before, i would start with things like MUD and first series of FF lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Well SAO anime was really bad, thats a fact, but SAO itself as a series(Light Novel) is great.
And even if the concept of tower clibing is old, i still like it, it geives me feeling of progresion which gw2 was lacking.

Tho it will propably be one time thing in gw2

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Bornindieee.3947

Bornindieee.3947

Not really, but if you’re familiar with older MMOs like Everquest and Final Fantasy XI, then a lot of the mechanics and terms should become instantly recognizable to you, especially since the creator actually has video game experience and used a lot of them for inspiration. Seriously, the first episode alone blows the entirety of SAO out of the water.

Also, prepare yourself for the best kitten intro this season.

Thank you i will definitely check out this anime. SOA was definitely a anime full of potential but failed to deliver.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

SAO was a bad anime and you should feel bad for liking it.

Let’s be honest here. If they just had gone with the concept of the tower and the 100 levels, it could have been pretty cool.

But yeah, the anime just fell and sucked big time after half the episodes.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Hmm… I think GW2 needs Devil Fruit.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Wasn’t there also a tower like that in one of the Lufia games?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Blueroseknight.7954

Blueroseknight.7954

SAO still better than that new MMORPG anime(Log Horizon). Lol. But still a lot worse than all the other good stuff out there.

Log Horizon is significantly better than SAO in every way. Each episode talks about different game mechanics. I really get a feeling that the show is made for gamers. The characters use strategies like exploiting cool downs and press ganging new players into selling their XP potions; it really is more innovative than 95% of the shows being released nowadays.

What does SAO have? Every fight is solved by an invincible protag hitting something with a sword.

in The Nightmare Within

Xae Isareth.1364

It isn’t even remotely similar.

In Sword Art Online, there is a big reward for completion, and the actual game is well designed and allows for player skill (the combat that the players experience is a cross between a game like Bayonetta and Street Fighter) and item selection to carry the day (see the character who is nearly invincible because he put defense and regen on his gear).

GW2 is all about rockemsockem robots.

And Sword Art Online just copied the tower idea from the .Hack series.

If by well-designed you meant that there’s basically no plot progression in the game itself, both character races AND professions are imbalanced to oblivion, and combat strategy consists of choose Warrior, bring big sword, use super move and win.

…that sounds like what GW2 is at the moment but worse.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Perhaps it’s because of my experience with Lineage II, but the tower reminded me of the Tower of Insolence. Although ToI was much higher, with 100 floors and raid bosses here and there and Baium on the top.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Yes I second/third/whatever Log Horizon. It’s very detailed and realistic. Lots of game mechanics, very relatable classes like guardians, level cap was at 90 now raised in expansion to 100, name of mmorpg is called Elder Tales reminds us of Elder Scrolls > < The map and mount system and waygates and onwards. It’s very very fun to watch when you’re a gamer

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Sword Art Online had a story.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

You’re not old. I remember staying up and watching .hack every day on Toonami. To this day it’s still my favorite series. I own all the manga, anime, and games including the failed online one.

SAO is basically .hack without the deep plot, philosophical meaning, interesting enviroments, character development, and more action based.

About the only thing I’ll give it is that it has better action scenes, but much like Silent Hill’s combat, I felt .hack’s was more for symbolism. .hack was also a bigger “universe” if that made sense. I’ve been playing/reading/watching since I was a kid and I still learn new things.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Sorry, but the game isn’t skill based, there isn’t permadeath, we’re not trapped in the tower, each floor isn’t a fully realized zone, and there aren’t a hundred floors, just three. The only connection I see between the two is that a tower exists. This is obviously based on the expansion to Baldur’s Gate, cause that involved a tower also…

Sorry, it’s cool you liked a thing and were willing to make a significantly more relevant link between the two than exists, but that is still what you did. They aren’t comparable and they aren’t related.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I think it’s more based on Lord of the Rings, and this is only the first of two towers.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Or maybe, just maybe… Its just a more vertical version of the queens gauntlet.

Yeah not really any need to read more into it.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

I’d say more of a Tower of God then a SAO. Though both actually had stories in comparison to Nightmares lack of …

~De Oppresso Libre~
Shunsui Kou Kyoraku~Thief |Afro Claptrap~Warrior|Korra Jorradóttir~Elementalist
Zaraki Bladebreaker~Guardian|Mikasa Ackkermann~Mesmer

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Just because there is tower with levels doesn’t mean it is equal to Tower of God or SAO, both of them have much better approach to “tower climbing” then this.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I enjoyed the game play a lot. A good mix of world event and mini dungeons.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Asukai.4507

Asukai.4507

SOA the anime is kind of annoying I know people like it so at least we know where they are getting there resources from anime and video games but the Nightmare tower is alright