Bot Suggestion: Fines

in Suggestions

Posted by: Svyn.2049

Svyn.2049

Q:

Is there anything that prevents Guild Wars from adding a stipulation in the terms of agreement to fine anyone that gets caught botting/selling gold?

Example: if a person gets caught botting, they are legally required to pay X in real money.

It seems like botting/selling gold is still profitable enough that if they get banned, they’re willing to buy another copy of the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I believe they could legally do this in the US, but most gold farmers are not US based.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Binaryravenx.2781

Binaryravenx.2781

How do you suggest they make the person pay? MOST Botters aren’t from the US, and they certainly don’t buy the game. They steal accounts.

Vaxra – Sword/Dagger Ranger

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

To enforce something as per Law, you must be able to prove it actually happened.
Where is the link between an Account and your personal information?

Furthermore, ANet making money out of bot business? It might encourage ANet to let botters keep botting as long as they pay X per month as “fine”?

It’s not a good idea.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DarkfyreAlgoma.4967

DarkfyreAlgoma.4967

In China Prisons force prisoners to play games 20/7 and then the gold is sold and the Prison Guards/Warden and up the chain keep the Real money made.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

A good question. I’ve seen another MMO take gold farming companies and bot developers to court and win, so I suppose a fine could be possible. The most I’ve seen is legally banning culprits from playing, interacting with or developing anything related to that game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

In China Prisons force prisoners to play games 20/7 and then the gold is sold and the Prison Guards/Warden and up the chain keep the Real money made.

Source.

in Suggestions

Posted by: powercore.7021

powercore.7021

Source.

i cant remember where i saw this – but its true, they are forced to ..

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alyssa.3419

Alyssa.3419

It was curious enough that I tried to google it, and here’s one of the top results .

in Suggestions

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

How do you suggest they make the person pay? MOST Botters aren’t from the US, and they certainly don’t buy the game. They steal accounts.

Technically they don’t steal accounts. They buy accounts that have already been stolen. End result is the same, but worth noting

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

dont fool yourself, many large scale farming operations buy keys for the games they farm legally, I have a friend who use to do consulting work in HK for a company that was in a large new office building, they had hundreds of people being paid to play WoW in shifts going 24/7, they also bought extra keys for when accounts got banned, extra keys by the hundreds, they even had an automated system for setting up the new accounts…..

if the moneys making them enough money they will buy the keys because its more reliable then hacked/stolen accounts, and having real people play from someplace like china is cheap……i mean, when you can pay somebody less for a weeks worth then what a minimum wage worker makes in an hour here…..yeah they can afford to pay people to play rather then bot.

the whole botting/farming problem comes from the insane prices and nickle/dime(copper/silver) that anet pulls, everything ends up costing you money, repairs, transportation, gear, exct….the games one giant cash sink, and yet they have cultural armor that costs 20-30gold a part/peice…..full set would cost you something like 600bucks in gems if you tried to buy it that way…….

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x