Combat UI improvements

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamster.9475

Hamster.9475

I totally support this as an option added and supported by Anet. It seems to use much of the features that are already in the game and simply adds a better handling of the camera for easier combat.
+1

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nineven.8476

Nineven.8476

+1

Implement this please !

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yowser.9370

Yowser.9370

Would love to see this officially implemented.

Yowser

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Safire.9143

Safire.9143

this is realy good, but whats about advantage ? :P

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: fpunch.9714

fpunch.9714

Just popping in to give my support.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeroshi.5629

Zeroshi.5629

I also agree on implementing this. Even just a right click down toggle would be nice, since I hold down right click like 95% of the time anyway during battles. The other 5% is when my fingers are tired.

(edited by Zeroshi.5629)

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: StarlightGamer.9560

StarlightGamer.9560

I just happened to read a certain post on the fifth page. If any ANet employee is coming in here reading this thread thinking about not doing this because having a crosshair would “break immersion”:

Stop.

It’s worth it. Seriously. Also, anybody who does think it’ll break immersion or otherwise negatively impact their gaming experience can just turn off this totally optional combat feature.

And if I’m being honest here, it’s a little late to be worrying about immersion at this point. I mean, 95% of the game’s immersion flew right out the window when it was decided that the game would be third-person. So a crosshair? No biggie.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

make this an optional feature anet
/support

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jay.9407

Jay.9407

There are to many people wanting this feature in game, it would hurt GW2 and the community if we had to wait 6 months to a year for this to come out.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Already gave my plus 1, but it’s good to see that this is at least getting some well deserved attention

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fubsydudeftw.3286

Fubsydudeftw.3286

I love it. Really wish ANet would give a solid response though. Everything from them so far has been very loosely worded.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pesco.5837

Pesco.5837

Adding my support to this. This style of combat is just plain more fun than traditional MMO tab-targeting.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

1.0 Combat Mode is out now, and it looks awesome! I’m still hesitant about using it because I don’t want to get the banhammer, even though I’m told there’s no way to detect it. Hopefully ArenaNet will come out soon and say specifically (no blanket answer, a direct yes or no) to this mod (or whatever technical term it goes by). It’s frustrating to have something at our disposal that’ll make myself and many other players’ experience so much more enjoyable, and yet feel like we’re committing a crime.

We all love this idea, ANet. If you don’t support the script, than at least put some resources into creating your own version. From what it looks like, it’s extremely easy and fast to make this a reality.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: FenderSaxbey.3048

FenderSaxbey.3048

+1 Really would love to see this sort of optional/toggle-able mode as an integrated part of the game.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: HippoKrit.6824

HippoKrit.6824

Logged in just to say yes please. I’m about to break my mouse from right clicking all the time

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

I’m not going to use it because I like to preserve targeting with 360 degree movement, but I see how it’s useful for ranged casters.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Miseris.7498

Miseris.7498

I hope ArenaNet adds this to the game the way Blizzard added CTRA Raid Frames to WoW

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akurei.3215

Akurei.3215

1+
this feature would be really awesome in guild wars 2

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Jay.9407

Have a look at this video of a fan made mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdgW_G4FyU

The only difference from how I am playing GW2 right now without any mods is:

• I don’t have to hold right click all the time
  • The mouse changes to the middle position of the screen while rightclicking, so I don’t have to move it manually to that position before I start a fight. And I know where I will put AOE abilities on the ground even while I am using right click to move.
  • My Aoe Abilities are always casted at the crosshair position
  • fast targeted ground targeting on button release: While I hold the button I see the circle indicator. When I release the button, the spell goes off.

These are only some things, which would improve the combat significantly. I hope they will get addressed, because other competitive games like league of legends already have these features. (e.g. smart cast on button release is a hidden option and everybody plays with it)

Best wishes,
Thypari

Wow every time I look at this video I get pumped! but then I think will GW2 give it to us very soon?

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aedistayah.4638

Aedistayah.4638

Also popping in to support this optional feature.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azky.7652

Azky.7652

Really hope this gets put in soon!

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: BgNightwish.3120

BgNightwish.3120

+1
We need this implented cmon anet.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mr Magoo.9065

Mr Magoo.9065

And so it begins

Either install third party tools altering the gameplay or be at a disadvantage…sigh. Really hoped it wouldnt happen in this game with Arenanets e-sport ambitions and the overall competetiveness of the game. A sad thing, very sad.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

I am actually using a third party program just to keep that RMB down
(RSI right hand kinda forced to use it)
It’s called X-Mouse Button Control … set the mouse button to STICKY and it will be a Toggle button from now on

Right click to keep it pressed and right click again to unpress it…

I am actually mouse clicking, scrolling etc with my G13 but that’s rsi related for you guys a toggle should work nicely.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Jay.9407

DUDE! we dont want to use third party tools, there is a chance we can get BANNED. And second it DOES NOT work NOTHING like Combat Mode.

People forget about X-Mouse Button, you might get banned, and all it really does is holds your right mouse button down and its full of glitches that will make the noob frustrated.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

It appears that it may be OK to use the mod

Here’s the GW2Guru topic with Gaile Gray’s response
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/66689-combat-mode-10-released-arenanet-response-included/

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Jay.9407

Hmm interesting im going to check this out. I hope this is legit.

On second thought after reading the guide to setup the Combat Mode Mod it seems to me like a lengthy process I wouldn’t recommend people try to do.

I don’t recommend people to follow the link posted by Vorch.2985 and download it. I have read else where that you can get banned for using Combat mode.
1. http://kotaku.com/5944993/guild-wars-2-modded-into-a-third+person-shooter
2. http://games.on.net/2012/09/combat-mode-mod-aims-to-change-guild-wars-2-camera-control/

So lets keep Shouting and sooner or later GW2 will professionally implement it.

(edited by Jay.9407)

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: FourTwo.7613

FourTwo.7613

@Jay.9407 the kotaku article references a community coordinator 6 days ago (17/09/2012). If you had followed the url link, you would have found a supposed email communications with Gaile Gray that eventually gave the go ahead.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

I would prefer it if there was some official explanation or post on this, rather than just an email chain copy pasted onto reddit, but RSI doesn’t wait.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Jay.9407

Great!

Well I still hope ArenaNet professionally implements this there are so many thing they can fix, make right and do better with if they do it.

Well il give the mod a go since I read that link it seems safe for now though I don’t like all the steps I have to go though, wish they had it in full-screen it runs better.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: hyttemaier.7950

hyttemaier.7950

Please let us have something like this, it fixes all the targeting bugs in the game atm, as i see it its win/win for everyone

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Miseris.7498

That’s great that they’re sort of letting us use the mod, but we can’t stop there. They need to add this as a full fledged feature to the game.

Everyone, keep posting your support!

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: LucLucLuc.3875

LucLucLuc.3875

I support this mod being turned into an official feature.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: FourTwo.7613

FourTwo.7613

@Jay.9407 As far as I can tell you can play using the mod full screen with no loss in fps (not windowed), the only thing you’ll be missing is the mouse cursor overlay, which depending on the profession you play may not be a big deal at all.

ArenaNet, I do hope you’re working on an official implementation of this!

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Jay.9407

@Jay.9407 As far as I can tell you can play using the mod full screen with no loss in fps (not windowed), the only thing you’ll be missing is the mouse cursor overlay, which depending on the profession you play may not be a big deal at all.

ArenaNet, I do hope you’re working on an official implementation of this!

I Like what you are saying FourTwo.7613 il give it a shot too.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Miseris.7498

If you guys haven’t tried this yet, do it; the mod is fantastic.

Just download AHK and follow the directions in the readme (turn off some in-game settings, change keybinds, etc) and then just double click the .ahk file (a text file you can view in notepad that AHK reads for instructions)

It makes using Grenades so much better!

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mr Magoo.9065

Mr Magoo.9065

I wouldnt worry about people not trying it.

This third party addon gives a measurable advantage and if more people use it, there is no way to play without disadvantage without using mods like this.

It makes using grenades so much better – agreed. Because it makes it easier. Kind of sad to say Anet is allowing things like this, then again I would not exactly call it surprising.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rinon.5402

Rinon.5402

I find this hilarious because in the making of book, it states that they had originally planned to make the game just like this. Then they decided not to because they didn’t like having a reticule in the centre of the screen.
It seems like the functionality is still there, but not activated.
Anet, I say just turn it on and be done with it.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Miseris.7498

I wouldnt worry about people not trying it.

This third party addon gives a measurable advantage and if more people use it, there is no way to play without disadvantage without using mods like this.

It makes using grenades so much better – agreed. Because it makes it easier. Kind of sad to say Anet is allowing things like this, then again I would not exactly call it surprising.

If by “measurable advantage” you mean you can actually control your character extremely well and avoid damage while queueing up abilities with ease because you don’t have to hold down the right mouse button all the time, then no you’re still wrong.

This improves the combat IMMENSELY. You can do everything this mod does already by holding down the right mouse button, the mod just makes it less of a chore.
It doesn’t play the game for you, it doesn’t fire things for you, it’s just a simple dot in the center of your screen and holding down the right mouse button.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Miseris.7498

I find this hilarious because in the making of book, it states that they had originally planned to make the game just like this. Then they decided not to because they didn’t like having a reticule in the centre of the screen.
It seems like the functionality is still there, but not activated.
Anet, I say just turn it on and be done with it.

The functionality is 100% already there, if you look at the AHK script all it does is literally hold down the right mouse button, and turn itself off if you press H, I, M, or G

It also lets you bind stuff to mouse wheel up, mouse wheel down, left click and right click, which should be options by default as they are in most games.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deans.9415

Deans.9415

Honestly I always thought the lack of these options in the game was a glaring oversight. Why have gameplay focused on movement and then force us to use keyboard hotkeys for most abilities? Why have such an advanced auto-target system and not put in a simple mouse-look toggle?

Any advantage this mod gives just reveals how awkward the original interface is.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rinon.5402

Rinon.5402

The functionality is 100% already there, if you look at the AHK script all it does is literally hold down the right mouse button, and turn itself off if you press H, I, M, or G

It also lets you bind stuff to mouse wheel up, mouse wheel down, left click and right click, which should be options by default as they are in most games.

Like I said, ANet should just turn this on.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: RusieQ.8569

RusieQ.8569

GW2 needs controller options too. I like playing this game but sometimes it hurts my wrist! Constantly moving the mouse plus running plus using the skill stats is awkward.

The camera should auto-follow the character which would make combat faster without having to constantly turn it around to see where i’m fighting or especially after dodging.

I’ve been used to console controls using all sorts of designs like GamePad Cub or Nintendo 64 or PS Controllers but for the PC the implementations aren’t what they should be.

(edited by RusieQ.8569)

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Angrez.8120

Angrez.8120

It’s great. Please make it part of the game.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aithnea.5671

Aithnea.5671

I first encountered “FPS-style” MMO controls like this as a toggle in Champions Online.. seamlessly integrated, it makes everything so much more intuitive. Their crosshair targeting was a little snappier than GW2’s currently is. I would love to see this option show up within GW2 along with some tightened auto-targeting.. think I’ll be using that mod until then!

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: vann.4297

vann.4297

I don’t understand why this wasn’t in the game at release.

Because arenanet are a bunch of Lazy developers.. and is not fun for them to spend more time releasing quality and a solid combat system… instead of adding useless features for the marketing PR check of the game.. Everyone have been saying how much Gw2 character controls and camara controls sucks and the positive feedback of this utility only confirms how bad was before. Doesn’t fix all the problems but fix at least the tab targeting.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Archi.2671

Archi.2671

I really hope ANet does something like this and makes it official. This is great, and I’m sure it’s a feature that TONS of people would use if they a) knew about it, and b) was supported by ANet.

This makes the game a lot more fluid and fun for a lot of people I’ve talked to as well as for me. There are a few quirks with it, and I do hope that it does improve a bit, as I’m sure it will, but so far I’m a fan.

As I said I hope ANet really considers this and I hope that this thread and the popularity of it makes ANet really take a look into it.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Creasul Helmgart.6103

Creasul Helmgart.6103

+1, love to see this implemented

(edited by Creasul Helmgart.6103)

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: pregnable.1954

pregnable.1954

The only problem I see, with these controls, is that they were not already options in the game at launch.

We spammed the forums about this every BWE.

Being forced to hold down the right mouse button, as the only option to turn your camera with the mouse, is absurd.

The game is an action game now, so it needs an option for action combat controls.

When they allowed aiming projectiles, from the center of the screen, while in mouselook, I thought for sure that this type of control option would come right after. Nope… …

The lack of this option is really bothersome. I use a naga so I change hand positions a lot, so holding down the RMB all the time is crap.

My solution as been to just play poorly. At least my hand is not destroyed yet.

I have no interest in playing spvp until the controls are fixed. Doing so would be like playing an RTS or FPS only using the keyboard.

Hopefully the devs will try the mod and realize… “OH, this is what they were talking about in the BWEs” …. “Wow, yeah, this is much better. We are putting this option in.”

It is funny how often I open up the whisper/party options, from holding down the right mouse button, and having it trigger a click on the party menu. I am like just playing and then I start randomly trying to whisper or kick someone from my party… so lame.

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Skelly.1896

Skelly.1896

^ I agree it’s absurd indeed. All the tools are in place to do this. I see no reason not to do it other than them being lazy. If some random guy can make a mod like this why can’t they?

Combat UI improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: NaughtyOne.6598

NaughtyOne.6598

You mean so i will not have to tape down my right mouse button in the center of my screen anymore? Im all for it.