[Dungeons] NEW Reward System - Promoting Variety

in Suggestions

Posted by: ThatTallGuyX.3058

ThatTallGuyX.3058

Here goes nothing…

So the new system for the dungeons is a good start in my opinion but I don’t think you should be punished if you simply cannot finish the dungeon, say for life reasons.

When I’m doing a dungeon I prefer to be rewarded as I go, on a per-boss basis. If I spend my time killing Giganticus Lupicus and don’t get rewarded until I kill the two bosses after him, well, that’s just really disheartening. If I need to drop group and allow someone else to take my place well then I guess I wasted 40 minutes. Running a dungeon, downing bosses and not get reward at all for it…does that seem fair?

Also what happens if you get kicked out right before the end and they just pick up someone else to take all the badges YOU worked for?

I have a suggestion that I am confident would fix this issue.

First, every boss should drop 15 tokens only once per day. So in CoF you would then obtain 45 Tokens from all the bosses you kill in a single path.

Second, I think that you should be rewarded at the end of the dungeon as well for another 15 every time you run it.

So in summary you would obtain 60 tokens PER PATH and IF you wanted to keep running the dungeon you could but you would only get the 15 from the end after you have already done the dungeon path once that day.

This method would encourage that players choose different paths in dungeons and even encourage players to try other dungeons but it would not discourage the player from farming the dungeons he or she would want.

This way you aren’t FORCED to do another path or FORCED to do another dungeon, but it looks a heck of a lot better than running the same path over and over. But since some people like this method of farming I believe it caters to them as well.

So in closing: TL:DR
15 Tokens per boss (only once a day each).
15 Tokens for completing a dungeon. Can do this as many times as you want with no penalty but you must complete the whole path.
No dungeon reward reduction because it’s obsolete with the new system in place.
Every type of dungeon runner wins(If you can’t complete the dungeon path you would still get 30 tokens if you killed 2 bosses for example).
Encouragement of new paths and new dungeons(You net more tokens by doing new paths and dungeons).

Any ideas or suggestions to add will go here:

Thanks for reading.

Level 80
Sylvari
Guardian

(edited by ThatTallGuyX.3058)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grey.7319

Grey.7319

I definitely feel like the DR system is a little over-complicated. Who knows what the technical limitations are for ArenaNet in regards to managing loot drops, but a once-per-day reward system is a lot more intuitive for the average player. It also rewards players who have to leave a dungeon early for some reason.

The only problem I can see with your original suggestion is that players might farm the first boss of many different dungeon paths per day, instead of clearing the whole run. if you can kill the first boss in each path for a total 45 tokens, very quickly, that might be a concern.

Another option would be to weight rewards:

• First boss = 5 tokens
  • Second boss = 15tokens
  • Third boss = 25 tokens
  • Full clear bonus = 15 tokens

You still get a total of 60 tokens for a full clear, you reward players who stick around longer, and you make chain running the first boss of an instance inefficient, compared to playing as intended.

IGN: Grey | Mesmer | Gandara
GW2 wiki profile | DeviantArt | GW2Guru Art Thread

(edited by Grey.7319)

in Suggestions

ThatTallGuyX.3058

Hmm, yeah I definitely agree that this could cause an issue like that but is 45 tokens from a specific dungeon really that much ( Its 1/4 the tokens you need for the cheapest piece of gear a day, so if you did do the runs that way it would take you 4 days to get one piece of the cheapest gear as opposed to 1 day if you finish all 3 paths)
I think you are still punishing players for not being able to progress though content if you lower the rewards like that.

Level 80
Sylvari
Guardian

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

Another option would be to weight rewards:

• First boss = 5 tokens
  • Second boss = 15tokens
  • Third boss = 25 tokens
  • Full clear bonus = 15 tokens

still doesnt fix the the issue of people farming the first 1-2 bosses because it’s faster/easier/less annoying than doing the whole dungeon. of course that would require a proper redesign, and I can’t see that happening anytime soon (oh wait, I can: dump more useless hp trash in the beginning. that will sure make the dungeon more fun.)

in Suggestions

ThatTallGuyX.3058

Well the design that I suggested does fix the issue of farming the first two bosses of a path because you can only get the loot from them once a day. If you want more you have to complete the WHOLE path again not just the first boss.

Level 80
Sylvari
Guardian

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

And all this trouble for some skins

in Suggestions

ThatTallGuyX.3058

And all this trouble for some skins

Haha, they do look cool though.

Level 80
Sylvari
Guardian

in Suggestions

Gray.9650

Well the design that I suggested does fix the issue of farming the first two bosses of a path because you can only get the loot from them once a day. If you want more you have to complete the WHOLE path again not just the first boss.

but then I farm the first 2 bosses a day, have a slower rate but also a lot easier time (which, according to some, doesn’t do the “prestige and achievement” of the armor justice).

in the end every “fix” would merely be a bandaid, because people will always go for the fastest/most efficient way to get their stuff, and you can’t fix people.
personally, if people want to farm the first few bosses only, I don’t care that much. because in the end the reward is just another skin.

in Suggestions

ThatTallGuyX.3058

but then I farm the first 2 bosses a day, have a slower rate but also a lot easier time (which, according to some, doesn’t do the “prestige and achievement” of the armor justice).

in the end every “fix” would merely be a bandaid, because people will always go for the fastest/most efficient way to get their stuff, and you can’t fix people.
personally, if people want to farm the first few bosses only, I don’t care that much. because in the end the reward is just another skin.

What your saying is not an issue of the reward system. It is an issue of the actual difficulty of the first couple bosses of the dungeons, which has nothing to do with this suggestion.

Level 80
Sylvari
Guardian

in Suggestions

Gray.9650

well, it’s about efficiency, not difficulty. and if there is a difficulty progression in place, I haven’t seen it (most prominent example would be SE SM, compare kudu, the trash and the iron forgeman).

a reasonable fix would be to dump trash till the first boss and remove all the trash afterwards. this way it would be more efficient to finish the dungeon once you killed the first boss than resetting and killing off trash for 15 minutes again.
or remove the thrash altogether and reduce rewards, because maybe farming the first bosses is merely a symptom that people don’t want to spend 1+ hour in a dungeon to see any reasonable reward.

btw, you got a type in you sig (no diss, just to let you know )

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

I’m completely against getting rewarded proportionately to the number of bosses you killed.

When you start a dungeon, you should be encouraged to do all of it.
When someone leaves, the other members are penalized for that person’s absence, therefore, there needs to be a penalty (or reduced reward) to those that leave early.

Here’s how I think it should be:

Let’s say a Dungeon with X bosses and Y side objectives.
- Doing all X bosses and Y side objectives should give you 100% reward.
- Doing less than that should give you reward equal to the % you completed, with a penalty of 10% per boss you missed (skipping side objectives would not penalize you).

Let’s say there are 4 bosses and 0 side objectives.
Each boss is worth 25%…
…if you do 4 Bosses= 4×25% = 100% * 1.0 = 100%
…if you do 3 Bosses = 3×25% = 75% * 0.9 = 67.5%
…if you do 2 Bosses = 2×25% = 50% * 0.8 = 40%
…if you do 1 Boss = 1×25% = 25% * 0.7 = 17.5%

Let’s assume there are 4 bosses and 2 side objectives.
Each boss is worth 20% and each side objective is worth 10%.
Assuming you do 1 side objective (10%)…
…if you do 4 Bosses= 4×20% + 10% = 90% * 1.0 = 90%.
…if you do 3 Bosses = 3×20% + 10% = 70% * 0.9 = 63%
…if you do 2 Bosses = 2×20% + 10% = 50% * 0.8 = 40%
…if you do 1 Boss = 1×20% + 10% = 30% * 0.7 = 21%

In World of Warcraft, there is a reason why doing Vault of Archavon or Baradin Hold, would usually go like this:
- Everyone wants to do hardest boss first to avoid getting saved with a “bad group” and fail.
- Once hardest boss dies, half raid leaves, raid most likely disbands, and all other bosses are essentially skipped.

…and that reason, is that it is worth it – and it shouldn’t!
Often, in the middle of that selfish behavior, some unlucky group/raid members who needed stuff from the skipped bosses are screwed.

With a system that rewards you better the more you do, this would certainly not happen.

(edited by Nurvus.2891)

in Suggestions

ThatTallGuyX.3058

I’m completely against getting rewarded proportionately to the number of bosses you killed.

When you start a dungeon, you should be encouraged to do all of it.
When someone leaves, the other members are penalized for that person’s absence, therefore, there needs to be a penalty (or reduced reward) to those that leave early.

Here’s how I think it should be:

Let’s say a Dungeon with X bosses and Y side objectives.
- Doing all X bosses and Y side objectives should give you 100% reward.
- Doing less than that should give you reward equal to the % you completed, with a penalty of 10% per boss you missed (skipping side objectives would not penalize you).

Let’s say there are 4 bosses and 0 side objectives.
Each boss is worth 25%…
…if you do 4 Bosses= 4×25% = 100% * 1.0 = 100%
…if you do 3 Bosses = 3×25% = 75% * 0.9 = 67.5%
…if you do 2 Bosses = 2×25% = 50% * 0.8 = 40%
…if you do 1 Boss = 1×25% = 25% * 0.7 = 17.5%

Let’s assume there are 4 bosses and 2 side objectives.
Each boss is worth 20% and each side objective is worth 10%.
Assuming you do 1 side objective (10%)…
…if you do 4 Bosses= 4×20% + 10% = 90% * 1.0 = 90%.
…if you do 3 Bosses = 3×20% + 10% = 70% * 0.9 = 63%
…if you do 2 Bosses = 2×20% + 10% = 50% * 0.8 = 40%
…if you do 1 Boss = 1×20% + 10% = 30% * 0.7 = 21%

In World of Warcraft, there is a reason why doing Vault of Archavon or Baradin Hold, would usually go like this:
- Everyone wants to do hardest boss first to avoid getting saved with a “bad group” and fail.
- Once hardest boss dies, half raid leaves, raid most likely disbands, and all other bosses are essentially skipped.

…and that reason, is that it is worth it – and it shouldn’t!
Often, in the middle of that selfish behavior, some unlucky group/raid members who needed stuff from the skipped bosses are screwed.

With a system that rewards you better the more you do, this would certainly not happen.

I’m not sure what you are talking about, This system would promote completing the dungeon. You cannot earn badges from doing the same boss over and over, you would need to wait a day before you could get your badges from the same boss again(You would be encouraged to complete the paths to be able to maximize your reward for the day). The reason why the vault of archavon bosses were killed like that is because the gear from the other bosses were obsolete. In this game were are earning tokens for skins which is different.

Why should people be PUNISHED for having to go take care of their children or other emergencies. I believe if you put in your time an effort to down a boss you should be rewarded for that specific effort.

Level 80
Sylvari
Guardian