Dungeons are not fun.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Maximillian.9018

Maximillian.9018

I’ve been playing GW2 since launch, and actively defended it against critique. Today, I ran a couple of explorable mode dungeons like I usually do daily, and thought nothing of it. I’ve done them so many times that it has become a braindead routine. Later I logged on to facebook, and read this post made by Jesse Cox (OMFGcata from youtube):

“How can people defend PVE in GW2…seriously. SERIOUSLY. You enter a dungeon and the mechanic for the “event” is “defend a guy” and you would think all lvl 80s, with high end 80 armor, could actually do some damage. But NOPE. And then because the game has no tanks or healers per say, the mobs keep coming and widdle down your forces. So the only effective strat is to kite them around – but even then, they keep spawning more and more while you wait for the NPC to use his special and complete the event. The problem is, there are so many and they all 2 shot you, that you have to die and run back…over and over and over. Time, and money wasted to complete a NONBOSS event. Then the boss… here’s the infuriating part – you don’t even take damage…. !!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no amount of loot, good “I just did that feeling”, or guild fun times in the world to make up for how bad dungeons are in this game. I can’t even describe how much I hate them. Here’s the best part – YOU CAN make it easy – but that requires “a tank” and a “healer”…BOTH OF WHICH THE GAME SAYS YOU DON’T NEED. WHY SAY IT, IF IT’S A BOLD FACED LIE. /jumpkickababy
I would rather go through 1000 dungeons in WoW, Rift, or any other similar game where the enemy mechanics are at least understandable and if you suck it up you run back to pay for your mistakes. But in GW2, dying and running back mid fight is one of the best strategies for certain dungeon encounters……?????????"

I realized… I can’t defend against that. He is absolutely right! The balance is just OFF, and the mechanics are, more often than not, poor. The kiting, going from stupidly easy to stupidly hard encounters, the spawnrunning mid fight to keep the encounter going, and having no excitement from the loot either. You should be able to get some good dungeon specific loot from the bosses/chests in addition to the tokens. Arah is probably a prime example. It’s supposed to be what your personal story builds up to" You run it with a pug… it’s extremely hard, you keep spawning over and over and run back to finish each event… then you get to zhaitan, and you spend 10 minutes autoattacking him without even taking damage.

I hope future dungeons actually include fair, balanced content with fun mechanics… because currently, most dungeons are horrible

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dangerhunt.2607

dangerhunt.2607

Haha, I agree with you. Some of the dungeon bosses in the game are totally not fun. They are so damage soaking, and does not require any specific tactic to deal with them, that it becomes auto attack for 15 mins fest.

I don’t like repeating from dying and running back too, I thought dying suppose to be punishment for not doing well, but rather it somehow evolves into a tactic for dealing with the endless enemies spawn.

The looting also needs to be tuned too. Farming dungeons for various weapon skins are just not enough. Boss drops are terrible too, there really isn’t enough incentive for people to continue doing dungeons over and over again.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

There’s not 1 boss in GW2 dungeons that I like.
My feelings on GW2 dungeons are exactly what the OP quoted.

I’m playing on faith. I have fun in the world, doing events, socializing and cooperating.
Mostly having fun leveling characters and learning the professions while hoping that ANet will come around and stop balancing dungeons around insane health + 2-shots.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Its not fun for you guys, because you run them so many times. Everything you do it repeatedly like a daily work becomes boring and frustrating. Take some break, do other things, and than come back to dungeons. Do one dungeon in 2-3 days or even more and then you will find it different because your brain started to get used to the other things you do.

I agree thet bosses should be more dynamic and their “toughness” shouldn’t come just from HP amount, but more from the fight mechanic.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

same. i’ve done so many dungeon paths every single day that i cannot stand them anymore and since you cannot make any money worth a **** by playing dungeons, there’s not a single reason to do them. if their new dungeon is what we already have but longer and have 1 rare skin drop from bosses instead of a juicy number of ZERO, i’m quitting gw2 for months until there will be something to do at lev80.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Druu.9604

Druu.9604

Actually, I found the Dungeons Story pretty interesting and fun (except for running back middle fight). The problem really is the Explorables, the prob being that it is the only place where you can get tokens and you either have to do it with Pugs when the Explos are made to be for guilds, I mean they are the raids of GW2. I can’t even imagine doing the Candle part in CoF with pugs, that must be such a pain.

I don’t think the bosses should be changed, I think that the reset should be applied. If you manage to die in a boss fight, you can’t come back and if the party wipes, the boss resets.

I think that from there, we’d have the things balanced out since most pugs won’t be able to do anything. Inevitably, ANet won’t have the choice of lowering the difficulties.

Let’s see what we’ll have on the Shore patch, might be big or disappointing. My bet goes on second choice but maybe…

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Dungeons are a ton of fun if you do them with people that:
1- know how to play.
2- they communicate with each other.
3- know how to have a good time.

Sometimes we all end up laughing so hard on TS we can barely continue we take a break to calm down because of some hilarious thing that happened in the dungeon or on TS.

moral of the story is play with people you actually enjoy playing with.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

I wish dungeon mobs health was decreased by 30%.

There is no gear grind, therefore, mob health will stay relatively the same.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

I agree that dungeons need to be worked on. almost every other aspect of this game is amazing but dungeons are really lacking. There is no proper difficulty progression within the dungeons. you can get stomped by nearly all the bosses and even some trash mobs, then get to the final boss which may have an interesting mechanic but is braindead easy and you’ll take no damage.

I imagined/hoped dungeon fights in this game to play something like a multiplayer devil may cry.. or even to some extent tera’s combat.

where the enemies if they hit you will take like half or maybe even all your health, but they give some sort of tell right before they attack so you can pop a defensive ability like blind so it misses, dodge roll block etc.

there is a spattering of this in the dungeons and veteran mobs around the world and when it works its fun. you have to pay attention and know when to use what ability and you feel like you’re accomplishing something.

but most of the time dungeons are so chaotic. mobs will knock you down with little to no tell and one shot you before you can get up and aggro is so sporatic your team mates often can’t do anything to get the mob off you.

(edited by rajule.8054)

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I wish dungeon mobs health was decreased by 30%.

There is no gear grind, therefore, mob health will stay relatively the same.

dungeon mobs die relatively easy already when the people doing the dungeon know what they are doing, but hey I don’t mind it would mean finishing a dungeon like CoF in less than 10 minutes

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

moral of the story is play with people you actually enjoy playing with.

with this you are excluding at least 50% of player base for various reasons: no friends or no friends online, no TS, no guild, no in game chat.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

rajule.8054

plus you’re being condescending and saying that since you personally don’t have an issue with it than it doesn’t need to be changed regardless if a large portion of the player base feels differently.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

plus you’re being condescending and saying that since you personally don’t have an issue with it than it doesn’t need to be changed regardless if a large portion of the player base feels differently.

Six people is hardly a “large portion” when there are millions playing.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I really love sorrows embrace actually.

No no no!

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

The entire Suggestions section is full of threads about the same complaints.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

rajule.8054

well if you just want to base numbers on this thread alone we outnumber people in favor of the dungeons 6 to 1.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

LOL I’m assuming you were doing CoE story?

God that was seriously a nightmare, never touching that steaming pile ever again.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MadJock.8710

MadJock.8710

Hate the dungeons in his game, seems dodging on our part and high HP of bosses makes up for actually needing tactics to defeat most of the bosses.

Add the fact of how much time you can spend in one against the rewards you are going to get and it becomes a case of whats the point.

Add legendry’s to dungeons drop list on small %. maybe i just unlucky but i can farm mobs and craft an exotic easier then wasting 100 hours tying to get one from a drop

Add some crafting recipes, make the drops dungeon only and give them an unusual skin

Trash mobs need to be just that, things a normal group can kill without having to get downed several times

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CihandaR.2395

CihandaR.2395

The turth is that in every game a tank, healer and dpc class is a must.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

The turth is that in every game a tank, healer and dpc class is a must.

And Guild Wars kinda already solved the issue of any class being forced to do one thing.

I mean at the end of the game what were we doing?

• Discord Necroes (Necro/Ritualist), who had ifinite energy from dieing minions, dealt true damage, and were healing the party (no monks at all).
  • Healing elementalist in the team with Mist Form.
  • Critical strike Assassins with scyhes.
  • True cross-class combos, like Ritualist (Splinter Weapon) + Ranger (Barrage).

You were capable of doing anything with anything. More than here.

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zcotticus.9670

Zcotticus.9670

IF they put a few more Waypoints into some of the dungeons and removed armour damage in dungeons that would be a start. After I’ve run a dungeon a few times I find I die a lot less, but that’s running with the same group of guild members on TS, so we KNOW the dungeon after a while. I don’t think the dungeons are as kittenome people are making out, but for public groups some of them are kitten near impossible!

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sherman.4631

Sherman.4631

Story mode final boss are way more fun to kill, there’s only one mechanic winch is to wait for a boulder to appear, pick it up and throw it at the guy. And sometimes you have to dodge certain special attack thats you can actually see before they hit instantly.

We’re out of chicken

Dungeons are not fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

More trash mobs, less hp on each mob. Current drop rates seem about okay, I leave each instance with full invent. Less HP on bosses, because 10-15 mins of spamming doesn’t constitute an epic fight, just a boring, tedious one.

Personally what I’d like to see is an old style dungeon densely packed with mobs, just like the elite HM dungeons. Plowing through huge waves of wardens with EoE bomb was awesome.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

(edited by StormcrowX.9236)