Gathering - More than F! (In-Depth)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tekietee.5037

Tekietee.5037

I’ve seen a dozen crappy fishing “suggestions” in this forum. However most seem more like complains than suggestions…. Here is my go.

~Fishing Suggestion~
First off I thought about it as maybe a Craft, but that wouldnt make sense.
You can Mine, and Wood Cut, and Harvest without levels, why should Fishing.
So I tossed that thought out of my brain.

So Clearly another 4th gathering type could be fishing…
But isnt that sort or boring? Finding a bit of splashing water and just clicking F, not to interactive…
Unless it was made to be…?

~Gathering! More than just F!
All gathering is sort of just find a node, or look on the map and find a node, and then make sure your equipment is good enough to properly harvest it, and then simply hit F.

What if there was a Timer? Like a Gauge of some sort. The Gauge would change depending on what gathering you were doing. After performing a few clicks on the Gauge Meter, an in-game action occurs from your player (The gathering action), and you’re rewarded items based on how well you’ve performed the Gauge. (Ruined, What you Expect, Rare, etc)

~Gathering Tool Durability
So I randomly just thought, about how annoying it was when your Gathering Tool broke while at a node… This thought gave me an idea.
The Implementation of a Whetstone for Sickles, Logging Axes, and Mining Picks.

The reason this could be a viable suggestion is because, I see very many complaints about people hating having to carry tools on tools on tools in their inventory.

The Whetstone would have its own durability, that would go down when using a gathering node, instead of the gathering tool’s.

The whetstone would have its own equipment slot just to the left of the Sickle’s equipment square, and its size would only have to be approximately 25% of the Average equipment slot on the right side.
*Their Durability would vary depending on Type and Level.

~Idea behind Whetstones (more)
First I want to say I dont want people to feel the need to carry 800 Whetstones in their inventory. I also Don’t want a person to even be able to have 800 Whetstones.
I just want to sort of rephrase real quick that they are not to replace a Tools Durability, but simply provide a bonus to it if you have one. And Carry a second would be much better than carrying another set of tools (less inv space).

~Gathering a Whetstone (Whetstone Node)
I would like to see 0~1 Whetstone Gathering Nodes on each map that would get rotated each patch like the current nodes do. I’m not sure if they should show up on the Map or not, however I do believe you should have to use a certain item to gather that node. Perhaps a Pick? Perhaps a BLTC Pick? Maybe a all new item? Not 100% Sure there, I just know that this needs to be a rare node which would give up to 3 Whetstones.

~Break Down of Whetstones (Rough Idea)
Level 1; “Black Lion Whetstone” 250 Durability
Obtain Method; Black Lion Chests, Gem Store (125gems)

Level 10; “Thin Whetstone” 50 Durability
Obtain Method; Merchant(Buy 2~7 Silver -not 100% sure yet), Common Monster Drop Level 1~40

Level 30; “Average Whetstone” 100 Durability
Obtain Method; Whetstone Node, Monster Drop Level 40~70

Level 45; “Mystic Whetstone” 300 Durability
Mystic Forge Recipe; Thin+Average+Thick Whetstone+2Mystic Forge Stone

Level 60; “Thick Whetstone” 150 Durability
Obtain Method; Whetstone Node (Rare)

Final Summation.
The Gathering System is very rewarding, however I feel that it could be a bit more player Interactive.
I personally Rarely have an issue with the Duration of my Tools (I rarely carry a spare set) however I commonly hear many players do have issues. Whetstones would allow a bit of wiggle room, between worrying “I’m not using my Orichalcum Pick on Copper Ore!” and “My Sickle doesn’t have enough Durability!”
Everyone loves fishing as a pass-time activity. It’d be great to see. -Why not? ;)
*It could extend a method to obtain scales (look at their price, its by far the highest material), it could also be a method to extend cooking, or even something I’m overlooking. :)

All in all, we all love gathering, it’d just be cool to interact a bit more, and have some relief on durations. Less number watching, more in-depth screen looking!

(edited by Tekietee.5037)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

I think the Whetstone is a great idea, but only under a few conditions.

1. Tools still have Durability
  2. Whetstone is used to “repair” the tools on the fly
  3. The durability lost by the Tool would be based on the difficulty of the Gathering Node, rather than a fixed amount.
    - If you’re using an Iron Tool on Copper Node, you would use up less Whetstone Durability than if you use it on an Iron Node.
    - Likewise, if you happen to try to gather a node 1 difficulty above your Tool (like gathering Platinum with an Iron Tool), you might be able to, but it’d use up twice as much Durability as it would if you used a Steel Tool.
    - Nodes 2 or more difficulties above your Tool would result in the usual ruined material.

As for challenging Gathering, I’m up for that.

• Your Weapon bar would change when you press “F” to Gather
    - Exiting the Gathering mode would be as simple as pressing “\” to swap weapon.
  • Wood, you’d have Power and Accuracy
    - Skill #1 would be Gather Strength
    - Skill #2 would be Aim
    - The first Gauge would represent the Power with wich you hit the Tree/Sapling.
    - The second Gauge would be red in the center, and getting colder all the way to White on the sides. A small vertical bar would balance left and right, and the closer to the center, the more accurate your hacks will be.
    - You’d try to hit as high in power as possible, and then while the Power gauge starts to slowly deplete, you try to hit as close to the center of the second Gauge as possible to determine accuracy. Your power + accuracy will affect your chances for extra stuff.
  • Vegetables, it could be a sequencial skill input
    - Skill #1 might be Pull, Skill #2 might be Cut, Skill #3 might be Bend, Skill #4 might be Stretch, etc.
    - The time in wich you successfully enter them helps determine the chances of getting extra stuff.
  • Metal, it could be a 5×5 minesweeper.
    - Skill #1-4 would be up, down, left right, skill #5 would be “reveal”
    - You start with a freebie reveal (revealed spots represent simple rock)
    - You attempt to clear as much rock as possible without hitting the metal, as fast as possible
    - The more you reveal and the faster you do it, the better your chances of getting extra stuff.

(edited by Nurvus.2891)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Reminds me of Gladius, awesome game. I like this idea, never been much for gathering or crafting in MMOs, this could change that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MeSako.6082

MeSako.6082

Im all for minigames
I myself find crafting kind off boring, but when I played Allods Online, I found crafting to be kind of fun! Why? well, becouse every time I crafted an item, I was presented with a minigame, that depending on how well I performed, the better the item became.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Wow, this is an amazing idea actually. I’d be really stoked on Nurvus’ wood cutting idea- from what I understand it’d be like one of those minigames where you have to time your aim on a bar and land in the proper zone.

It would actually take concentration to cut a tree, and man I’d be so upset when I failed lol. ^^

in Suggestions

Nurvus.2891

Yeah.
I kinda blurted out the ideas, but I like how the woodcutting idea came out.
The minesweeper idea for mining might be unintuitive in terms of the movement, but only because I wanted the gathering to use your weapon skill bar for simplicity.

Incredibly fun and intuitive fishing system can be found in Breath of Fire IV.
I recommend any MMO to learn from it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

I don’t doubt the gauge thing would be fun…. at first. But it would probably stop being it after 100 or 200 gatherings (maybe even sooner)…specially when you’re just farming and want to get everything as fast as possible, I mean the reward for doing it ok should be really great…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I don’t doubt the gauge thing would be fun…. at first. But it would probably stop being it after 100 or 200 gatherings (maybe even sooner)…specially when you’re just farming and want to get everything as fast as possible, I mean the reward for doing it ok should be really great…

Well, that would actually be a good thing in my opinion. Think about it, they could raise the amount you can get from each node, lower the amount needed to craft items, and lower the amount of nodes in the game world. There would actually be less farming across the board, and the world wouldn’t have to have so many nodes, which frankly, to me at least, are immersion breaking eyesores anyway.

And, best of all, it will be virtually impossible to make resource farming bots, which we know are coming soon, if there aren’t already some in game.

in Suggestions

Nurvus.2891

Azaziel, that’s totally not true.
If the gauge made skill → extra stuff you would never EVER get annoyed.

If now you get 3-6 Green Wood Log from Gathering a Asp Sapling, with a change to getting Cinnamon Sticks and whatnot…
…imagine that doing poorly on the challenge, would still give you the same odds.
Doing a good time on the challenge, however, would mean 5-6 Green Wood Log + guaranteed Cinnamon Sticks or something of the sorts.

You’d get better for paying attention, but nothing would force you to pay attention.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

So you want that annoying circle crap I hated from STO? No please.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MeSako.6082

MeSako.6082

So you want that annoying circle crap I hated from STO? No please.

Cirkel crap? Wasnt it a wave? And I loved that!
(that is if STO is Star Trek Online)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yid.3024

Yid.3024

I agree that the durability/quality of gathering tools can be handled better. Whetstone sounds really nice

However, I am not so sure about the mini-game for gathering. I see gathering more as just a part of the exploring experience, not a stand-alone content. Seeing a node, getting there, clearing the vicinity if there are mobs, and then gathering seems like enough of a game play for me, and having to do a mini-game everytime you gather something might be a bit too much.

I like the idea of having mini-games, I just feel like it could work better elsewhere, something a bit more lay-back, not-so-adventurous stuff. Like crafting, fishing, farming, in-town events, jumping puzzles(though they are kind of adventurous) etc.(if they implement those, that is).

in Suggestions

Nurvus.2891

Dunno anything about STO gathering, but whatever minigame is added to GW2’s gathering, should make it be more rewarding, not less – but only for those focused.
This would also make gathering bots unable to compete with actual players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I actually liked fishing the way it was in WoW (waiting for a splash). Of all I did in WoW, fishing was the one thing I really liked.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Nurvus.2891

Marnick, if you actually had fun with WoW’s fishing, you will probably have your mind blown with this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSy10OFDuoU&feature=related

It’s from a PC/PS1 game called Breath of Fire IV, from CAPCOM.
It’s awesome.

(edited by Nurvus.2891)