Get rid of the downleveling system or limit it

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acewings.6872

Acewings.6872

Please? There would be absolutely no way for a level 80 to grief a level 3. All that noob player would have to do is hit his quest/event monster one time to get credit. Once. ONCE. Nobody is that slow…

Nobody would really end up getting griefed…

At the VERY least, Anet you need to tune the downleveling system to within like 20 levels. What I mean by that is if I’m level 80 and I go to a zone to help a level 23 guildy kill a level 24 mob, the system should let me stay 20 levels above that mob. Thus, I would be able to be level 44~ in that zone. There is no reason to force players to level match the monster that they are fighting. It’s unfair, makes all that work people put into leveling feel unrewarding, and most importantly the loot doesn’t scale.

in Suggestions

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The way I envisioned it to work was that it would downlevel you to the max level the zone was created for. So if you went to the 1-15 zone you would always be 15 in that zone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acewings.6872

Acewings.6872

The way I envisioned it to work was that it would downlevel you to the max level the zone was created for. So if you went to the 1-15 zone you would always be 15 in that zone.

That still doesn’t address the loot problem or the fact that it’s not worth it to revisit those zones due to costs associated with dying…

in Suggestions

fellyn.5083

Well if the loot drops are what you are worrying about you are supposed to have loot scaled to your actual level now. And it does, sort of. While helping friends level on my 80 warrior doing level 30-40-50 areas I was getting lvl 76+ drops. But not all of them were that high. So I don’t know if it’s working as intended or partially working or what.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

If I’m level 5 I can easily own a level 4 mob without even touching me…so if I were to be 20 levels above I could just look at it and it would explode.
I think this game could work just fine without levels at all, but they probably kept them because of tradition or to give the player something to feel they’re progressing. But they’re in no way are the most relevant thing in the time to “show your power”, that would be skill, traits and a little of your gear.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

I think the downlevelling system is one of the best things this game has done. Everywhere I go there’s still a reasonable challenge. You argue that it wouldn’t hinder lowbies, well I agree that one person twenty levels higher than the area wouldn’t hinder anyone’s play a significant amount, however, fifty or so people twenty levels higher running all their friends and guildies through every area would totally trivialise the content, not only for the lowbies but also for the higher people because it would be ZERO challenge.

The other thing is, work into levelling? I don’t know about you but I essentially accidently levelled to 80. Levels are by no means hard to get in this game and neither are they incredibly significant. When I was levelling, there were TWO areas where I was not overlevelled anyway; Queensdale when I started and Orr when I reached max level.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

[Edit]
Also, I just wanted to add, the loot actually does scale, you have a smallish chance upon receiving loot that you get some appropriate level gear. Doesn’t mean 80’s will only get 80 gear but I got some level 77ish gear in Queensdale helping someone.
Another point, what are you doing getting caught up on not getting epic loot in a lowbie area? The event rewards already easily pay for waypoints and/or dying costs and aren’t you there to help your friend? Isn’t that the reward?

[Edited by CC: Answer to a deleted rant removed]

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Moderator)

in Suggestions

fellyn.5083

Uhm..well to be fair the event rewards actually do not pay for teleporting or repairing costs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Please? There would be absolutely no way for a level 80 to grief a level 3. All that noob player would have to do is hit his quest/event monster one time to get credit. Once. ONCE. Nobody is that slow…

Nobody would really end up getting griefed…

At the VERY least, Anet you need to tune the downleveling system to within like 20 levels. What I mean by that is if I’m level 80 and I go to a zone to help a level 23 guildy kill a level 24 mob, the system should let me stay 20 levels above that mob. Thus, I would be able to be level 44~ in that zone. There is no reason to force players to level match the monster that they are fighting. It’s unfair, makes all that work people put into leveling feel unrewarding, and most importantly the loot doesn’t scale.

I know for a fact a lot of times casters dont get a single hit in on mobs when enough people are on that event. I watch it time and again and hear my caster friends and myself when im on my caster complain about how fast mobs go down. Normally my attacks hit right after the mob goes down. So no the level scaling system is fine. As for work into leveling? Your kidding right? Levels are GIVEN to you. It doesent take any work at all. Just running threw all the zones without fighting once would pribally get you to 80.

in Suggestions

SiNoS.2147

Uhm..well to be fair the event rewards actually do not pay for teleporting or repairing costs.

My teleport cost is normally less than 2 silver as a 80. I get around 1 silver 30-50 copper in just coin not including the drops i normally sell. One event normally pays for my teleport. I tend to do 3-4 events if im in a zone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

The downscaling system is great and should stay (almost) exactly as it is now, it’s a key feature of GW2.

Also you are wrong about almost everything you wrote. You don’t know how event contribution and mob tagging works, you have not clue how powerful a downscaled lvl 80 char is comparet to a regular lvl 15 char or mob and you also don’t understand why it would be horrible to not get suitable loot for the zone you are in.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

The loot you actually get is scaled to you level, my 80 helping out my buddies in lower zones still get 76+ stuff, the same you’d get in Orr.

The thing they messed up on though is the karma and other such rewards from dynamic events, those are scaled to your downscaled level, not your actual level. There you have an issue.

in Suggestions

fellyn.5083

My teleport cost is normally less than 2 silver as a 80. I get around 1 silver 30-50 copper in just coin not including the drops i normally sell. One event normally pays for my teleport. I tend to do 3-4 events if im in a zone.

Your teleporting fee is only going to be less than 2s if you teleport within the zone. If you teleport within a low level zone it will take you quite a while to recoup those costs. I play the game too, I know how it is.

in Suggestions

SiNoS.2147

Your teleporting fee is only going to be less than 2s if you teleport within the zone. If you teleport within a low level zone it will take you quite a while to recoup those costs. I play the game too, I know how it is.

Thats funny. Teleporting from TP in Divinity to Traveler’s dale in gendarran fields (3 zones is 1 silver 87 copper.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

If you’re a lvl80 getting owned in the starter zones, then you’re a bot. You should know how to dodge and how to utilise your skills since you’ve been using them so long. Also, as a level 80, your damage is still a lot due to your equipment.

I don’t think loot should scale, because it’d be so easy to get a lot of drops very fast.

in Suggestions

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

The system is good, leave it alone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

If you’re a lvl80 getting owned in the starter zones, then you’re a bot.

…or dead.

Most of my characters decimate starter zone stuff, and the highest of them right now is level 53. I don’t even want to think about what it’s going to be like when they’re 80.

The scaling is there to prevent high level characters from trivializing the content for others. Wanting the scaling feature to be removed is, I think, a remarkably self-absorbed notion.

To those calling for it, I say: It’s not all about you.

Removing this feature would necessitate the introduction of a whole lot of instanced content. In effect, it’d be a different game. I just don’t see that happening.

If anything, the effects of scaling need to be more dramatic, because the threats in the starter zones are indeed becoming trivial for most of my higher level characters (36 and up).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

There is no reason to remove it at all. Every area remains at least somewhat challenging giving you a reason to enjoy the old areas still and help out low level friends without obliterating everything. If you are level 80 though and going back to a level 15 zone and are dying then you are doing something very wrong, even with the level down I blast through low level stuff.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Strongback.6420

Strongback.6420

When I went to metrica province with my lvl 80 character in almost full exotics, I destroyed everything in my path with 1 or 2 shots except veteran mobs, which took 4 shots.

There is absolutely no reason for further buffs.
You’re almost indestructible with lvl 80 exotics.
You’re either an unstoppable force or an immovable object depending on your stats.
Pulling 6-8 mobs at a time was no problem, since I mowed them down so quickly.

Your complains are irrelevant.
If you truly want to faceroll everything in your path, then all you need is better gear in sync with a good build.

(edited by Strongback.6420)

in Suggestions

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I don’t really care for it all that much but it does make the game interesting and it does keep bottom feeding to a minimum, so I really don’t see why it should be changed.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nayaru.4716

Nayaru.4716

I love the downscaling, I don’t understand what the big deal is? With traits and a bit of extra stats you’re already stronger than the zone anyway… what are you (not) doing that makes this so hard.. lol. Only complaint I have is that event exp/karma rewards should scale to player level not zone level, that would make going back to lower level zones more worth it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

This is a terrible suggestion. Downlevelling is great. If anything 80’s are a bit too OP in the low level areas, in exotics I can 1 -3 shot things

They should scale the 80’s down some more to compensate for the traits & gear and then up the level of the drops they get.

I think for 80’s everywhere but Orr should be equal to Frostgorge Sound – in terms of difficulty and drops.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

20 levels would be way too much.

3 levels above the creature already makes you way stronger than them.

You can try it in Ashford with the harpies. If you go all the way north, you’ll get downleveled just to level 13-14, but harpies around there are level 8-9.

Killing them takes just a couple of hits to level 40 people with level 35…40 fine/masterwork gear.
And that is as trivial as killing enemies should get.

No matter how good you get, an enemy must always be able to kill you if you get distracted, go AFK or doze off.
What you suggest would allow things like water elementalist or any guardian to stand still doing nothing while enemies hit, thanks to their regen and the little damage they’ll take.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

It’s fine as it is. I want it to be atleast a bit competive on low lvl areas when im lvl 80 in Full Exotic with a Legendary.

ArenaNet won’t nerf it, the game is working as intended.

However what i would like to see is to make low-level areas harder with more dynamic events.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone,

please refrain from harsh tone and respect each other’s opinion, so that this topic can be discussed in a constructive way.

Thank you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Equinox.4195

Equinox.4195

When you’re level 80 with full exotic gear and full traits in lower level zones, you will automatically be approximately 5 levels higher than all mobs anyway, which, in Guild Wars 2, is a massive difference.

Equinox the Undying – Thug Necromancer
http://www.youtube.com/EPEquinox

in Suggestions

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i love being able to explore lower level areas without one-shotting everything. it’s actually FUN.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Honestly … i still destroy everything with 0 effort … maybe not the lvl 60+ i guess.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Please do not change this system. At a higher level visiting there is already a dispartity based on gear, traits, and various skills that we didn’t have at that level range. This makes the battles less of a cake walk and at times can still be a challenge.

Please do not change this system.

Better than any other game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

I like content remaining relevant, and it does in some ways. Combat is still fun (not ridiculously one-shotting everything) but the rewards are terrible. I should be getting near (but not quite) the same rewards as content my level. The difference should be just enough to keep me from farming lower level areas instead of higher areas, but the gap should narrow as I do content closer to my level. This sort of a system should make level 1-15 areas less efficient, but after that it should be near what max level areas give you.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

in Suggestions

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

I like content remaining relevant, and it does in some ways. Combat is still fun (not ridiculously one-shotting everything) but the rewards are terrible. I should be getting near (but not quite) the same rewards as content my level. The difference should be just enough to keep me from farming lower level areas instead of higher areas, but the gap should narrow as I do content closer to my level. This sort of a system should make level 1-15 areas less efficient, but after that it should be near what max level areas give you.

Not sure about you, but I regularly get things approximately my level (or at least things that can be salavaged into my level range’s crafted item requirements) while exploring zones I out-level. Certainly I still get low level items, but I definitely get level-appropriate things plenty of the time too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

The effective level is one of the best systems I’ve ever seen in an MMORPG.

It keeps things interesting, it promotes progress and it makes exploration a ton of fun. I’m not a person who makes a ton of alts, so a lot of the race specific low level areas end up totally unknown to me. Heck, I only explored Snowden Drifts because a friend took me there and the area around Black Citadel because I was trying to find my way into Frostgorge Sound.

If they took away level scaling, I would not have any fun in those areas. I could just go, steamroll all of the renown hearts and be bored again. Heck, since crafting gives experience and you got a system that makes it possible to acquire high amounts of Gold on a low level, removing the effective level would allow people to just use RL money to buy their way to a high level via crafting and then steamroll all of the quests. And that’s just bad game design.

Similarly, the downscaling makes it so that it’s actually fun to help friends. A lot of MMORPGs suffer from lower level content being too easy for high levels, thus when you introduce a new friend to the game, you usually just tell them to quickly get to the level cap so that they can get to the content that you find fun. In GW2, you could totally stick around for their whole progression, even if you were already level 80 when they were just level 1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genthar.4029

Genthar.4029

I actually really like the downlevelling system. It allows me (since I focused on one character and am already 80) to help out friends (many of whom have alt-itis, and have not hit 80 yet) with whatever they’re doing without completely trivializing the content for them. IMO levelling proceeds too quickly as it is, I can’t imagine speeding it up by allowing even faster power-levelling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: perfect.5198

perfect.5198

I enjoy the system as it is now. I enjoy helping friends or randoms in lower level zones through things I haven’t done before while still remaining challenged.

Please do not change the system by removing the ’downlevel’ effect.

-p

in Suggestions

Posted by: UndeadPriest.8632

UndeadPriest.8632

I will agree that either ALL Penalties (Armor Repair/Waypoint Travel etc…) should be scaled to the zone,
or All Rewards (DE’s, & Drops etc…) should be scaled to Player Level.
Instead of the current mismatch.

But to remove the DownLeveling system?! Absolutely not!
imho,
The DownLeveling system is one of the best components of the game, allowing the entire map to still be fun and challenging.
To be completely Honest, with all the bonuses gained from leveling like traits, additional skills, and gear,
combat in starter zones as a level 80 right now, feels almost too easy as it is.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

As was mentioned, sometimes it is hard to get a hit in before a mob dies now. If we’re scaled down that little, they could easily grief low level players especially considering the fact that a high level player will have more (and more powerful) skill slots as well as better gear/runes/sigils than lower level ones. This means they can generally hit harder, faster , and more often.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vinny.2869

Vinny.2869

Leveled to characters to level 80 and had no problems (never really gave money until like level 40) getting around to any waypoint and having more money than I ever needed.

Think it’s just people not selling enough things.

The downleveling system is AMAZING. first of it’s time (I believe?) and it’s spectacular. I am not going back to help someone to make them COMPLETELY bored like in other games while helping them kill other things.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bahamadude.4925

Bahamadude.4925

there is no need for this idea. your level ma be scaled down but you still have that level 80 gear and traits right? or did they change something up? Also about only needing to hit a mob once, is that really true? I’ve noted cases where i hit a mob more than once and still don’t get exp. me thinks it’s a bit more to it than that.

All in all, i’d say by thankful your gear doesn’t get nerfed with your level (assuming they stay the same)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arkenjul.1867

Arkenjul.1867

I think they already adjusted since BWE. It is now like +1 or +2 levels and then plus gear which a lvl80 should 1 or 2 hit a lvl 3 mob…

in Suggestions

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

My war is level 69 and I took it to Queensdale. She was one shotting things quite often. That is just not right. Our gear should be downleveled too.

(edited by pdg.8462)

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It’s not as much about griefing as farming.

Without downleveling, one could go around pulling and killing countless enemies with single hits.

As it is now, even a level 80 with full gear could get in trouble in a low level area if they are not careful, so they can’t farm as much.

The only problem I see is when people find badly placed borders that allow attracting high level monsters into areas under 5 levels lower and more.
To fix that, monsters should also get downleveled when they enter and attack lower level players inside lower level areas

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silvermink.1456

Silvermink.1456

I like the scaling and downleveling system. I like leveling although it’s a bit fast for my playstyle. I do wish the downleveling happened when you attacked, not just being in the zone. Being able to run through areas without worrying about dying if you didn’t fight back would be nice. Put a timer on it for like 15 minutes after attacking something you stayed lower level.

I made a suggestion that teleporting around a zone (not between zones) charged you at the highest level of the zone, rather than at your current level. This would make helping friends a little easier. If you aren’t making money helping friends just from doing events and selling loot, you’re doing something wrong though. Try running for 2 minutes instead of teleporting everywhere. Each level 70+ green is almost 2s. I make money easily from exploring/helping without even selling any greens, they all go into the guild bank. That’s even if you don’t manage to get a rare/exotic that sells well on the trader. I also suggested making short distance travel a little cheaper, and long distance a little more.

I only die on my 80 ranger for 2 reasons (outside of pvp), stupidity or champions.

There are a couple places that the scaling is wrong…either too high or low. Doing a level 13 skill point in Ashford with a level 10 capped level is difficult. I try to bug each one.

(edited by Silvermink.1456)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

I think the system is okay, but a few minor tweaks would be nice. I don’t agree that getting downleveled devalues the fact that you are level 80. The perks that come on your gear and traits make a huge difference when you go to those lower level zones. These are things you probably wouldn’t have at lower levels.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

If there’s anything, downscaling need to be increased. I hate killing everything in 1 or 2 hit. It makes going in lower area super boring.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kalanaar.4150

Kalanaar.4150

are u an idiot man? , downleveling is what makes gw2 “endgame” take time, if it wasnt for it, the game could easily wither and die, since the dragons are easy and are farmed and the dungeons have a challenge, but u have no incentive to get back to an explorable mode…

Kunnat Aravok, Guardian of the tarnished coast

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

The problem is that the dragons are easy.
PvE is super boring.

Everyone at max level does WvWvW, farms or spams dungeons.
The rest is leveling, and you barely see players areas except starter and final areas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

This is the terrible idea. It would remove the challenge aspect and therefor just make all lower lvl areas extraordinarily boring. I don’t know about others, but I personally love playing lesser maps (even though I’m maxed out) because I know that I still have a chance of biting the dust. That’s not taking into account that at the real beginning areas, I’m already way overpowered.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

The problem is that the dragons are easy.
PvE is super boring.

Everyone at max level does WvWvW, farms or spams dungeons.
The rest is leveling, and you barely see players areas except starter and final areas.

“Everyone” is not correct. I don’t. And I know of several other level 80 players who don’t, meaning: yes, I go to lower level areas and entertain myself there. Looking up corners I haven’t discovered during my level process can be quite rewarding. And I find PVE quite interesting.

The downlevelling system was one thing which attracted me to GW2. Personally I find it is not harsh enough. I would vote for a complete downlevelling (not +2, and restricting traits and skills) but also for level 80 loot and event reward. Nodes should of course produce the normal ressources (no orichalcum for level 15 areas). If you want lower level loot you can always use an alt…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I love the downleveling system and truly hope they don’t get rid of it any time soon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

I like the downleveling system, but it is too aggressive at times. I am level 80 and sometimes get downleveled lower than the mobs I am fighting and get promptly butchered if I face several of them. I think me being a couple of levels higher than the mobs in the area would be enough downleveling.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet