Idea to improve weapon skills

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

After spending the last month reading a lot of the threads on theses forums, 1 area that has come up a few times especially from GW1 fans is the lack of skill options between the 1-5 weapon keys. I must say I like the idea that there are certain skills and often a certain style of skill linked to weapons and what we choose to equip but do agree it doesnt give the same sort of variety that skill selections had in GW1.

Maybe a good fix to this is to extend the amount of skills each weapon has and make them selectable aswell,for eg give the greatsword a choice of 10 or so skills and allow the player to choose 5 of those skills,for a scepter do the same but allow us to pick 3 skills,same with focus and allow us to pick 2 from the selection and so on.

This idea would allow more choice in those first 5 skill keys and give more of the gw1 type feel of greater choice to players and allow wider option for build creation.

(edited by Bhuta.1480)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

No. Guild Wars 1 had too many skills, many of which were never even used. This is a streamlined system that is a lot easier to balance, a lot harder to exploit, and let’s face it, just better looking.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

Disagree gw1 had too many skills,that was one of its big selling points really and I know I’m not the only one that thinks that as it has been mentioned a lot in other threads.I do agree that balancing more skills would be harder but it would still only really be an expansion on what is already being done with the 7-9 skills really.

(edited by Bhuta.1480)

in Suggestions

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

I have nothing against new weapons and few new utility skills per expansion. Just need to be useful, even similar to already existing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Even if the skill looked different but had the same dmg as another, atleast it adds variety. Its a shame we get the same 5 attacks per weapon because you arn’t goin to switch between 5+ weapons during combat. You may change here and there but in the end people just pick 2 weapons and settle with them. In Gw1 many skills were just repeats but atleast the looked different and sometimes added a different condition. Utility could use more but we got enough to play around with atm so not worried there but please, new skills^^ New skills can offer new mechanics or animations, different condition or no condition but instead situational ( <25%hp, <50%hp, distance, under effects of boon/condition, knocked down, using a skill, etc)

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

Made a similar suggestion here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/A-few-changes-additions-to-GW2/first#post265351

and here
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Hidden-Weapon-Skills-HWS-and-Weapon-Skill-Hunt/first#post224346
—-
Expanding upon the idea, a little alternative would be having ANet create various weapons, each with its own set.
- Scimitar, Katana and Sword would all count as Sword but each could have a different set of skills.
- Falchion, Nodachi and Greatsword would all count as Greatsword but each could have a different set of skills.
- Kukri, Sai and Dagger would all count as Daggers but each could have a different set of skills.