get rid of level scaling

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: DutchMaster.5347

DutchMaster.5347

my character is level 32 (and ive already put a decent amount of time to get where i am) and was traveling through a new area trying to find new quest, points of interests ect. and ended up in an area that scaled me down to level 22 i ended up fighting several mobs around level 25. isnt the point of any rpg to play to become stronger then ur enemys then pwn? i feel like every aspect and mechanic of this game is broken, i can play for the next year every day reach level 80 and besides skills, and gear be exactly the same as someone who just started. i see how raising to 80 for wvw and pvp makes sense but where does my hard work and level grinding start to show purpose if in pve my lvl is dropped and enemys are going to be higher lvl then me because im weaker 10 ft. over here then i am over there? this is a good idea with a really dumb resault pls take level scaling off for pve id feel like my hours in front of the keyboard had purpose.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

1) Your traits, skill selection, and gear will be much better if you’re over-levelled (at L32 youhave access to elite skills, but a player that’s <L30 wont’)
2) Can you provide an exact position for where you had L25 creatures attacking you in a L22 sector? Were they part of an event? When a lot of players are around, it will increase the level of creatures in the event.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

I’ve always seen a huge difference between playing my low-level characters and playing a level-scaled character. My level-scaled characters are much stronger and can turn the tide of battle easily in areas where most of the other characters are low level. In fact, I feel a little too strong sometimes! There are some areas where you can see the “line” where a scaling up or down happens; you’ll be a few levels lower than the enemies, then move a few feet forward and be a few levels above them. If you find yourself facing enemies that seem too high level for your character, try moving toward them or running past them. Chances are you’re just near a scaling line.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

DutchMaster.5347

i went and double checked i was in brisban wildlands in a pass in northern lionshead outcrops the zone quickly moves from lvl 22 to 23 and the mob was fleshreaver lvl 24 (not 25 sry) there was no event and no other close players from what i could tell i appreciate ur quick response thank you

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

FWIW, I just checked the spawn in question and they’re guarding a rich silver ore node, which is why they’re +1 level.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

DutchMaster.5347

ok thank u for ur time

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

Please please DON’T remove this feature. If anything IMPROVE on it!!

This is by far the single biggest improvement in gaming that I’ve seen in a long time. The scaling actually makes adventuring in all the lower level PvE areas interesting and fun.

HOWEVER – I’d like to add that the amount of down scaling is simply not enough. Even with the current down scaling I find that while some really low content might be interesting, it does not provide much (if any) real challenge like it would of (or did) when I actually were at a level equal to the area/content.

I feel that much of GW2’s “level specific content” is ether designed to be much to difficult for players in average gear at the proper level (to gain access) or was intended more for level 80 players in only the best gear available.

A quick look at the AC waiting areas on any given day/evening will see that its filled with Lvl80 players outfitted in rare/exotic/legendary gear getting ready for farming/speed runs. Sometimes they may include a player who just recently leveled enough to try it, most times not. (the same could be said of other level specific content as well)

There is much much more than a ‘slight’ advantage that higher level players have while playing content in lower level areas. Heck, I’d even go so far as to nerf our abilities even more so down scaled players are at a DISADVANTAGE and the lower level areas present even more of a challenge for gifted players. (then players who are actually level equal to the content would be at a advantage)

IMHO/YMMV

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

Please please DON’T remove this feature. If anything IMPROVE on it!!

This is by far the single biggest improvement in gaming that I’ve seen in a long time. The scaling actually makes adventuring in all the lower level PvE areas interesting and fun.

HOWEVER – I’d like to add that the amount of down scaling is simply not enough. Even with the current down scaling I find that while some really low content might be interesting, it does not provide much (if any) real challenge like it would of (or did) when I actually were at a level equal to the area/content.

I feel that much of GW2’s “level specific content” is ether designed to be much to difficult for players in average gear at the proper level (to gain access) or was intended more for level 80 players in only the best gear available.

A quick look at the AC waiting areas on any given day/evening will see that its filled with Lvl80 players outfitted in rare/exotic/legendary gear getting ready for farming/speed runs. Sometimes they may include a player who just recently leveled enough to try it, most times not. (the same could be said of other level specific content as well)

There is much much more than a ‘slight’ advantage that higher level players have while playing content in lower level areas. Heck, I’d even go so far as to nerf our abilities even more so down scaled players are at a DISADVANTAGE and the lower level areas present even more of a challenge for gifted players. (then players who are actually level equal to the content would be at a advantage)

IMHO/YMMV

There is far too much content in this game. You can’t do everything before hitting lvl 80, and you do hit max lvl pretty fast compared to other games, so I think it is intended that it’s not that easy.
I do, however, not think it should be made harder for higher lvls.. Whats the point in getting max lvl and good gear then. True, it’s not a challenge anymore but I think you should be rewarded for that time you spent to enhance your character.

I totally agree on AC though. Doing explorable mode with lvl 35 (which is recommended by the game) or 40 with average equipment is nearly impossible, here’s where the scaling should be adjusted.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

FWIW, I just checked the spawn in question and they’re guarding a rich silver ore node, which is why they’re +1 level.

But there’s already a Veteran Fleshreaver guarding that node. Plus two other normal Fleshreavers. (And some spiders might also join in the fun if you didn’t kill them before taking on the Fleshreavers). Having them be +1 level higher than the player just seems excessive.

I will still able to clear out that node by myself when I was there, but I was a grossly overleveled level 60 by that point. I very much doubt an ordinary level 23 player would be able to do it on their own (unless that was the point).

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

my character is level 32 (and ive already put a decent amount of time to get where i am) and was traveling through a new area trying to find new quest, points of interests ect. and ended up in an area that scaled me down to level 22 i ended up fighting several mobs around level 25. isnt the point of any rpg to play to become stronger then ur enemys then pwn? i feel like every aspect and mechanic of this game is broken, i can play for the next year every day reach level 80 and besides skills, and gear be exactly the same as someone who just started. i see how raising to 80 for wvw and pvp makes sense but where does my hard work and level grinding start to show purpose if in pve my lvl is dropped and enemys are going to be higher lvl then me because im weaker 10 ft. over here then i am over there? this is a good idea with a really dumb resault pls take level scaling off for pve id feel like my hours in front of the keyboard had purpose.

Level scaling is the best thing to ever happen in any mmo.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: DocHolliday.5921

DocHolliday.5921

I have mixed feelings about level scaling, but overall I think it’s a good thing. But it needs some improvements. I agree with SSalp that the difficulty needs to be adjusted in many dungeons for story mode.

I also would like to see a sidekick system like City of Heroes had, allowing you to bring your lower-level friends along to higher level zones.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Razariel.5091

Razariel.5091

Level Scaling is a GREAT feature. It allows higher level players to maintain their power based on the tier or gear and skill that they have obtained as a player and also makes it possible for them to still get their level of loot regardless of where they might be. In addition, lower level characters do not because dwarfed or useless by comparison to other players who might be fully decked out and have full use of their traits in the lower areas.

There are plenty of other ego games out there where you can solo low level instances and mobs with a higher level character. The difference is that you need skill in this one to accomplish the same task and less gear dependency.

Please do not change it.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

It also means that you get your normal level’s worth of experience from events, since you’re doing the events at the event’s level.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

If anything, I’d like the stat down-scaling to be even tougher. It’s way too easy in the early zones. It seems to balance out a bit in the mid level zones but I think it could still stand to be a little tougher.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tobkilla.4612

Tobkilla.4612

Nothing else to say!

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Level scaling is good!

I only found 1 place where it didn’t work that well. The troll cave in the north of Mount Maelstrom. The first troll on the outside is 5 levels higher than you, until you run inside the cave, then it becomes far easier suddenly. I feel the scaling zone should be slightly expanded to 1200 range from the first mob.

Posting in this thread because it seems relevant.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

DutchMaster.5347

Level Scaling is a GREAT feature. It allows higher level players to maintain their power based on the tier or gear and skill that they have obtained as a player and also makes it possible for them to still get their level of loot regardless of where they might be. In addition, lower level characters do not because dwarfed or useless by comparison to other players who might be fully decked out and have full use of their traits in the lower areas.

There are plenty of other ego games out there where you can solo low level instances and mobs with a higher level character. The difference is that you need skill in this one to accomplish the same task and less gear dependency.

Please do not change it.

i am new to mmos in general this is the first one ive owned myself and im not looking for an “ego game” i just feel frustrated with learning all the aspects of gw2 and i didnt go out and buy it myself it was a gift so i didnt know anything about it when i started u as a seasoned mmo player (most likely) i can see how u feel this way but i on the other hand am still learning dont get me wrong ive played some wow and gw1 believe it or not on friends accounts but this is my first real mmo im actually playing i enjoyed the game alot at first but have found myself having a much harder time i respect ur opinion and ur reasons for having it but u should understand that im just trying to get better and ill admit i went on a bit of a rant but just wanted to voice my opinion at the time

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: hithlain.4385

hithlain.4385

To me level scaling is the best thing ever invented in a mmorpg ^^ Why? Because it makes travelling still dangerous wherever you are… I have been killed by a bunch of level 8 moskitoes, and this is great. When you’re level 80 in a low level zone, without level scaling this is boring. With level scaling you’re still powerful (skill wise and gear) but you can still die if you’re not careful enough.

Hey this is not because you’re level 80 that you can sleep in a place full of monsters without any risk ^^ they can still kill you…

In mmorpg without level scaling, being in a low level zone killing low level mobs, you earn no xp… hey, no risk, no reward. You can’t even loot the mobs. In GW2, you earn quite a lot of xp doing hearts and events in low level zones, and this is great…

But there’s already a Veteran Fleshreaver guarding that node. Plus two other normal Fleshreavers. (And some spiders might also join in the fun if you didn’t kill them before taking on the Fleshreavers). Having them be +1 level higher than the player just seems excessive.

So go there with someone, not alone, hey this is a MMO RPG

Yesterday I killed a champion mob with someone and NPC, I was kiting the mob while the other one, a warrior, revived the NPC, it took a lot of time but we made it.

GW2 can be done solo for the most of the content, but you do not have to. If you can’t handle something alone, just bring friends along…

(edited by hithlain.4385)

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

I am really amazed by the fact that there are still people arguing against what is, in my eyes, the single most brilliant concept for non-trivializing low-level content I have ever seen in a game. In fact, I wish single-player games would adopt this concept.

Think of the answers past games have given to this problem: You have the Baldur’s Gate “clear the map, never care about coming back” concept, you have the Gothic exponential power curve that lets you steamrole anything below your level, you have the Elder Scrolls/Mass Effect levelscaling enemies, which ended up with the games having absolutely no real challenge anywhere in the games. All of the past systems had very serious downsides, and replaying low-level content was rarely fun at all.

In GW2 (for me for the first time) I found that, at any time, the lower level areas where quite as much fun to play as the “level appropriate” areas. Which is, for me, nothing less than brilliant. Please ANet, for the sake of the eternal alchemy, never screw with that system.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mejo.3198

Mejo.3198

Level scaling is brilliant.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: aguering.6974

aguering.6974

Nah, it just make item hunting more tedious.

I wish I could 1 shot stuff in maps where I’ve already been, but this never EVER happen in GW2. I will never be able to kite a mob and then do some powerful move killing them all at once. I miss being abble to do that once in a while, specially when I’m hunting items for crafting. I never feel that my character is getting any stronger, with all this scripts " balancing" things around. I agree with TC, the time you waste grinding should give you any sense of reward. Of course Traits make it easier but not easy enough to rush into things. You’ll just certainly survive, but that’s not always enough imo. When you know you’ll be hunting something specific for hours, overpower can be handy (and harmless). Traits and skills only won’t do that, I always waste a lot of time in the most weaker minion and freaking cooldowns make it 10 times worst.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mejo.3198

Mejo.3198

I wish I could 1 shot stuff in maps where I’ve already been, but this never EVER happen in GW2. I will never be able to kite a mob and then do some powerful move killing them all at once. I miss being abble to do that once in a while, specially when I’m hunting items for crafting. I never feel that my character is getting any stronger, with all this scripts " balancing" things around. I agree with TC, the time you waste grinding should give you any sense of reward. Of course Traits make it easier but not easy enough to rush into things. You’ll just certainly survive, but that’s not always enough imo. When you know you’ll be hunting something specific for hours, overpower can be handy (and harmless). Traits and skills only won’t do that, I always waste a lot of time in the most weaker minion and freaking cooldowns make it 10 times worst.

Where’s the fun in 1 shoting your enemies? Might aswell just hand you over a box of items.

Level scaling gives the game an adventureous feeling. Isn’t that why you are playing? And going back to like lv 1-30 areas and doing quests feels likes childsplay. The mobs die much quicker then in the higher levels

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

That’s just one aspect of the game. A very endgame one. A very voluntary one.

On the other hand, level scaling allows people like me, who play a lot more than pretty much all the people I know, to play at my own pace at my own time, without worrying that I couldn’t play with my friends out of a fear of trivializing their content.

Honestly, the fact that I can just get to 80 with any means I want, while saving hearts in lower zones to do with my friends and have it still remain a fun experience, is worth its weight in gold.

Level scaling also means that you can revisit old areas, do events in there and not feel like you’re facerolling everything. You’re still going to get your kitten handed to you by a Champion if you’re not careful.

On the other end of level scaling, it allows people to experiment with content at a much earlier level. Which is excellent, since some people will find that they absolutely love WvW. Or they just might enjoy the challenge of going to a dungeon while being low level.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sujuro.4096

Sujuro.4096

Level scaling is an excellent feature. First place I remember seeing the concept was the Level Sync added to Final Fantasy XI Online. Basically you could sync your entire party to the level of the chosen member. However, everyone is restricted to the abilities of that level. Stats/Armor/Weapons are all downscaled as well, but are generally slightly better or equal to the best gear possible for that level.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Level scaling means old zones never become obsolete.

When you reach 80, you should forget about your level. It’s only your traits and armor that’s important. Level is more to help guide you through the zones.

Maybe when players hit 80 the level numbers on you should disrepair. And be replaced with a Veteran symbol (Champion symbol for good WvW players).

Lower level Enemies will have their level number disappear once you reach 80. You will only then see symbols for normal enemies, veteran’s and champions.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I never feel that my character is getting any stronger

Eh? When I go back to lower level areas, I can solo many champions and group events. I just cannot do everything alone, but I’m still a lot stronger. Onehitting everything in an area would be plain boring. I’m currently working on 100% map completion, and I wouldn’t want to run around in those low level areas as an almighty god, also ruining events for actual low level players. Because no, for many people it’s not so cool when some stranger trolls in and takes any effort out of the game, especially with the dynamic grouping found in GW2.

PS: the game is not abound hunting items and grind. This should have become clear by now…

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

(edited by Iruwen.3164)

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

If we didn’t have level scaling, the lower level zones would quickly become empty. As it is, if a friend is in a lower level and asks me to zone them for mapping, I can do so with ease. All in all it works well. Additionally it makes it feel more like a world and less like a game. In my opinion, its as close as you can get to not having levels in a game without actually doing it.

All it needs is tweaks here and there when you have mobs that are significantly over the level you are scaled to.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

(edited by Katz.5143)

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

The only thing that should be changed though is that waypoint cost should also be scaled down.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

MaRko.3165

While looking for content to play on my Lvl70 Ranger I’ve soloed many events in lower levels that I could not even think of going near (without a crowd) before. While some ‘bosses’ took 30sec-1min to melee I could honestly walk away and get a cup of coffee while the battle ensued.

These forums are filled with ‘wheres the end game content?’ comments. My though is that if our skills were to be nerfed even more it would be more of a challenge. As an idea, elite and master level skills ought to be disabled as well as our gear ought to be down scaled to whatever ‘average’ gear at that level should be.

This is my first MMO and I can think of a whole bunch of single player games that could use ‘level scaling’ to make those games more entertaining!

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

hithlain.4385

The only thing that should be changed though is that waypoint cost should also be scaled down.

This is already the case, yes ^^ 70 pc has not the same value for a level 20 than for a level 80 ^^

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Sounds like somebody wants to run their level 80 through areas oneshotting everything, farming up the drops from the oneshotted enemies and selling them for ridiculous prices.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

hithlain.4385

Yes but this guy forgot that in other mmo without level scaling, low level mobs do not give xp or loot ^^

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

Idk this feature makes the game feel.more real in some ways. there is no ‘god’ mode.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

This is already the case, yes ^^ 70 pc has not the same value for a level 20 than for a level 80 ^^

Only if you’re a real level 20 player, not true for downscaled players.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

1) Your traits, skill selection, and gear will be much better if you’re over-levelled (at L32 youhave access to elite skills, but a player that’s <L30 wont’)
2) Can you provide an exact position for where you had L25 creatures attacking you in a L22 sector? Were they part of an event? When a lot of players are around, it will increase the level of creatures in the event.

One of the issues I see with Downleveling, is that the feel of improvement is ruined.
Indirectly, it also affects the gratification of obtaining better equipment, because you never get to feel awesome, since 1 more level and the gear is “outdated”.

Back to the feel of improvement, what I mean is, if you are level 4 with level 4 gear, in a level 4 area, and level up, your real level will be 5, while your gear level will still be 4.
Since your level can’t go above 4 in that area, this translates into becoming weaker instead of stronger, because your gear will now be equivalent to roughly level 3,2 (-20%).

This is particularly punitive in dungeons, specially explorer modes, when you are doing them with a character below level 80.

No matter how you twist it, you should never, ever, feel weaker once you level up.
Even if for some reason you decided to stay in Queensdale from level 1 to 30 and didn’t update your level 4 gear, you should still feel stronger than a level 4 with level 4 gear, or at least just as strong, but with more skills and traits.

Perhaps I’ve got the wrong idea of how downleveling works, but it is what I’ve felt throughout my gameplay experience.

If your intent is to make players feel stronger through gear quality and build (trait, stat & skill synergy), my question to you is: Why burden players with leveling (and downleveling) whatsoever?

It would be so much better to simply have no levels, and the experience you gain serves to give skill points to unlock skills (and skill variants as I’ve suggested in a thread in my signature), wich you must hunt like in Guild Wars 1, wich I’ve always felt was the most awesome end game progression of any game.

It would also allow you to fine tune damage numbers, give certain areas slightly lower or higher difficulty through enemy skills and slightly better statistics, rather than an enforced level superiority, wich also comes with an unfriendly glancing blow mechanic, giving off the impression you don’t want players to explore.

(edited by Nurvus.2891)

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m personally missing one feature, that was announced a long time ago, when GW2 got announced to be worked on .. at a time, where Anet Devs were just talking about some kind of “companion system” if you can still remember that time …

Its the thing about scaling, where one of the devs said, that GW2 would give people, which play ALONE some kind of buffs, whereas it also motivates people to play in groups, and playing in such, there you don’t have then these buffs, because you’re playing with multiple different people together, and by that you don’t need these buffs then anymore..

Nothing of both can I see being implemented in the Game so far…
the game gives you either no buffs, while you play completely alone, not being in a group, nor does the game anyhow motivate people to create groups at all.

its totally regarldless so far, if you basically play the whole game alone, or if you run around in groups, you se no difference, nothing motivates you to group up with other people to play with them togethe,r rather than to run alone through the huge maps of GW2 and thats something, I personally find very sad.

That there is nothing that motivates you in the overall game, to play together with others, rather than to play completely alone and that there is nothing, thathelps you in certain places of the game, when you have to do something alone, because wide and far being no other players at the time where you want to do something certain in the game at a certain time.

Example: Group Events… yes they are normally designed for Groups.. but when absolutely no group is in your near and you are totally alone for a certain amount of time, then the single player should receive some kind of buffs, to be able to take on that group event basically maybe even alone, if being skilled enough (player skill wise) to do so

On the other hand, players should be motivated to make groups, because it should mean to people in groups some kind of little bonus effects ,like increased gold/karma/exp from successful made events or some kind of say for Magic Find Bonus, that keeps on increasing, so longer/more a group stays together and makes events/dungeons whatever so that people can profit from playing together, rather than making everything just alone, so that people DO WANT to play together.

I would really like to see that kind of companion system mechanic still to be implemented into GW2, maybe as some kind of overworked vesion of the GW1 Hero NPC’s, just allowing people which play alone to take one of their own made account characters alongside them as “Companions” to help them out on their travels, which automatically disappears, once the player opens up a group with real players or takes on an invitation from other players to get into their group.

I really would love to see beign one day able to play with my own created Chara as some kind of “self made group”, even it its just made for its very own game content, like my suggested “Hero Dungeons” under my suggestion thread More Dungeon types

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cerebelum.6087

Cerebelum.6087

I am with Marnik on this one, the only mobs I have seen that are well over my down scaled level are in the Maelstrom cave, if i remember rightly they are 68 and I am always down scaled to 63 or so, never tried running in to see if I suddenly get waaaay better as I have been saving silver for my 2gp skill book and didn’t want to waste any on armour repairs hehe :-P

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

I never feel that my character is getting any stronger

Eh? When I go back to lower level areas, I can solo many champions and group events. I just cannot do everything alone, but I’m still a lot stronger. Onehitting everything in an area would be plain boring. I’m currently working on 100% map completion, and I wouldn’t want to run around in those low level areas as an almighty god, also ruining events for actual low level players. Because no, for many people it’s not so cool when some stranger trolls in and takes any effort out of the game, especially with the dynamic grouping found in GW2.

PS: the game is not abound hunting items and grind. This should have become clear by now…

Ascended gear/legendaries/crafting/dungeoun token system/badge of honor system…thought you said this game isn’t about grinding?

Or the worse offenders, clovers of luck, and precursors.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

Ascended gear/legendaries/crafting/dungeoun token system/badge of honor system…thought you said this game isn’t about grinding?

Or the worse offenders, clovers of luck, and precursors.

All those things are optional to the gameplay. You can live without them, your game experience is not dependent on having those rewards.

If you’re one of those people that has to have the rarest shiniest armor and goodies out there right now then, yeah, you’re going to grind to get them, but that is your choice, not something forced on you by the gameplay (like a dozen and 2 other MMOs). It is only a grind if you make it about grinding.

Back on topic, do NOT get rid of level scaling. It is awesome, it means that no matter what level I am, I can spend time playing with people who started after me, without diminishing their experience, I can take my characters into low level areas and still have a reasonably fulfilling time there, and I never have to feel like I’m slumming it.

(edited by Eleri Tezhme.3048)

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

the game gives you either no buffs, while you play completely alone, not being in a group, nor does the game anyhow motivate people to create groups at all.

its totally regarldless so far, if you basically play the whole game alone, or if you run around in groups, you se no difference, nothing motivates you to group up with other people to play with them togethe,r rather than to run alone through the huge maps of GW2 and thats something, I personally find very sad.

That doesn’t make sense, if you buff people running around alone, why group up at all.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

No matter how you twist it, you should never, ever, feel weaker once you level up.
Even if for some reason you decided to stay in Queensdale from level 1 to 30 and didn’t update your level 4 gear, you should still feel stronger than a level 4 with level 4 gear, or at least just as strong, but with more skills and traits.

But you never feel weaker once you level up. Each level adds skills and traits, not to mention gear. If you play as a level 20 in Queensdale you get level 20 drops, even if you kill level 1 mobs, same if you are level 30, you can level in Queensdale 1-80 and by the time you finish you will have full level 80 gear. OK not full level 80 because I think the max you can get from level 1 mobs is level 70 I think? But you certainly DO become more powerful the more you level up.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

here’s my two-cents-worth — when i’m leveling a new character (which i do frequently, as i have severe altitis), i WILL not run with a guildie who’s more than five levels above me. their abilities to completely pwn make me feel completely useless; i feel like i’m riding their coattails.

tldr? imo, level scaling needs to be INCREASED so that total pwnage does NOT happen. but that’s just me, and i accept that.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Nurvus.2891

But you never feel weaker once you level up. Each level adds skills and traits, not to mention gear. If you play as a level 20 in Queensdale you get level 20 drops, even if you kill level 1 mobs, same if you are level 30, you can level in Queensdale 1-80 and by the time you finish you will have full level 80 gear. OK not full level 80 because I think the max you can get from level 1 mobs is level 70 I think? But you certainly DO become more powerful the more you level up.

You seem to have skipped most of what I wrote.

The instant you level, you become weaker until you upgrade your gear.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Isende and Nurvus just above, I think, have highlighted the two biggest problems with Level scaling at the moment.

Level scaling’s a truly wonderful thing in the game, but fix those two issues and it will become extraordinary.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaylenn.5197

Kaylenn.5197

Please don’t change this; it’s one of my favorite aspects of the game.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

MaRko.3165

You seem to have skipped most of what I wrote.

The instant you level, you become weaker until you upgrade your gear.

Actually, if you were playing against the same or lower level content, your stronger. Your GEAR becomes less effective as you and the content your playing against gets leveled. Better player+harder content = better gear required.

As an aside, I find the stories in the media about this game are comical at best and irresponsible at worse when it comes to GW2 being a “skill based” vs “gear based” game. In skill based games you may have different types of gear, however there are not a gawd zillion of levels+grades available. Simply one: axe, sword, LB, SB, Knife, ex. each piece of gear is used for different situations.

In GW2, you have to almost constantly swap out your gear (every 5 levels or so) along with the content. However some of the content (dungeons I’m looking at you) appears to be designed for ether very gifted players or very over leveled and over geared players.

Something is wrong when players feel the need to reach max level and outfit themselves in the best gear to play a dungeon designed for Lvl30 players.

When I’m playing in a level equal area outfitted with Exotics it still might take me 10-20+ hits before I kill a target. While in the same gear when I switch to a low level area it might (worse case) take a hand full of hits. This leads me to think that I have WAY more than a %50 advantage in the lower level areas.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Nurvus.2891

Marko, I’ll repeat:
When you are downleveled, and level up, you become weaker because your relative gear level becomes lower.
Even if your stats are properly adjusted by downleveling, it doesn’t compensate the fact that your gear now is 1 level further away from your own level, makes it weaker than before, and you’ll deal less damage.
So just by leveling, you got weaker.
You’ll notice it in the crit chance %, the damage, etc.

(edited by Nurvus.2891)

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

So go there with someone, not alone, hey this is a MMO RPG

Yesterday I killed a champion mob with someone and NPC, I was kiting the mob while the other one, a warrior, revived the NPC, it took a lot of time but we made it.

GW2 can be done solo for the most of the content, but you do not have to. If you can’t handle something alone, just bring friends along…

Well, if it was a Champion guarding that Rich Silver Vein, yeah I’d agree. It’s obviously not intended for someone to reach it solo. But Veterans are generally intended to be soloable by players, even with a few additional mobs in the way. It’s just an anomaly because there’s no other areas (in the newbie-ish maps anyway) where the enemy is actually higher level than you and there’s no nearby zone that bumps up your level to match.

In any event, the fight is definitely doable if you have even one other person with you. The trouble comes when you’re playing at night during a period of low activity and there’s no other players in the area to help you.

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: snarker.1876

snarker.1876

I like level scaling but its a problem how it implemented. You level up, but since scaling is % based you get weaker until u equip better gear. It should be easier not harder. I have like lv 40 gear on my lv 65 character and im simply weak even in low lvl areas. If I have lvl 40 gear than I should do good in lv 40- areas, right?

get rid of level scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Before they changed drops, you’d get mostly level 40 items in a level 40 area. Now that you’ll get items at your level anywhere much more often. There’s no reason to stick to low level gear for so much time.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!