Fix the "skirt effect" on males

in Sylvari

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

As just about anyone with a male Sylvari would know, armors often have a horrible skirt effect on them. Despite being roughly the same size as humans, male Sylvari are apparently incapable of wearing the same clothes without jacket/longcoat bottoms hanging a bloody foot away from the character’s hindquarters. This RUINS a number of excellent chest armors that would otherwise look great, including the new medium ascended.

Basically, what’s the issue here. Is it really that impossible to tailor armors to fit these near-human models? The problem has lasted long enough.

For the love of all that is holy, it looks like we’re constantly breaking wind when we wear one of these things.

(edited by Duke Blackrose.4981)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It brings me immense sadness on a daily basis.

They’ll never fix it unfortunately. Too bad we can’t at least get the option to just hide the armor like I do with clipping shoulders. :x

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Sylvari

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The rigging of the sylvari are just a mess. Not only do the skirts bellow out like we are wearing ball gowns, but the gloves and shoulder pads are all too often massively oversized. I think my sylvari engineer grows several sizes with pads and gloves turned on. And i can’t turn them off because then the issue of the trenchcoat “skirt” becomes laughably obvious.

And take a look at the new gem store heavy armor on a sylvari. The shoulder pads seem scaled for a norn and are floating in mid air.

For a game that seems so heavily focused on the artistic, these flaws are glaring.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Toli Rosca.9041

Toli Rosca.9041

With all the issues about fixing the glow effect on cultural armour and the controversy around that surely fixing something that everyone complains about would be a high priority. There are male armours that I LOVE but refuse to wear because my male sylvari looks like he’s wearing a dress.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nanashi.5704

Nanashi.5704

There are male armours that I LOVE but refuse to wear because my male sylvari looks like he’s wearing a dress.

T2 cultural heavy pants. I love the cultural clothes, I can bring myself to put my Sylvari warrior in anything else, but the pants just kill me. T1 looks like a mini skirt, T2 is a dress, T3 in pants are a sash type thing which isnt bad but they sit way to high and don’t flow with the T1/2 chest armors at all (and the rest of T3 is bleh)
Now I can understand where the design team was probably coming from, the armor is very leafy and flowery, very “Sylvari” but we need a pants pants option. Something manly and strong! I feel like I need to hike up my T2 pants when I go running its that girly.

in Sylvari

Duke Blackrose.4981

There are male armours that I LOVE but refuse to wear because my male sylvari looks like he’s wearing a dress.

T2 cultural heavy pants. I love the cultural clothes, I can bring myself to put my Sylvari warrior in anything else, but the pants just kill me. T1 looks like a mini skirt, T2 is a dress, T3 in pants are a sash type thing which isnt bad but they sit way to high and don’t flow with the T1/2 chest armors at all (and the rest of T3 is bleh)
Now I can understand where the design team was probably coming from, the armor is very leafy and flowery, very “Sylvari” but we need a pants pants option. Something manly and strong! I feel like I need to hike up my T2 pants when I go running its that girly.

I actually love t2 sylvari heavy cultural pants. They’re a nice change of pace from the rest of the heavy armor and give a sleek, elegant look that works perfectly with both t1 and t2 chest armor. More importantly, it’s one of the few armor skins that doesn’t suffer from any “skirt” effects or other proportion issues.

And the thread still stands.

Do NOT release ascended armor until you fix the male Sylvari skirt effect on it. We don’t want another skin ruined by this.

in Sylvari

Posted by: saden.6942

saden.6942

O’, I’ve just accepted that Sylvari seem to be essentially a feminist-type culture. The males might as well be females and the females are just happy…

I try to stick to metal-looking armor because it’s the only heavy armor that looks good on my Sylvari given that the cultural armor is disappointing (the heavy at least).

in Sylvari

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

I have a male Sylvari Mesmer and a male Sylvari Guardian.

The Mesmer is currently wearing transmuted Orr Temple armor even though he has a set of T3 cultural armor stored in the bank. I’ve tried numerous times to have him wear the T3 set and I can’t. The silhouette reminds me of a 1950s shirt dress. What’s worse is that the leaves on the front of the skirt don’t meet on the right side so there’s a gap that exposes a lot of upper leg and the groin area. It just looks nasty. I wasted a lot of gold on this travesty.

I’m not even going to get into the fact that the female Sylvari T3 heavy armor is more masculine looking than the male version. My Sylvari Guardian is wearing the T3 male version with the full skirt. I’ve gotten used to it. It has a nice glow and at least his private parts are covered up.

Orr temple armor has a gap between the bottom of the breastplate and the waist of the leggings which leads me to believe that the male Sylvari spine is several clicks longer than the male human. I discovered this one night when I noticed my Sylvari Guardian’s glow was showing where it shouldn’t be. For something that cost 82K karma what did I expect?

I also noticed that the vest of the new Phoenix armor set available from the Gem Store doesn’t meet the pants so there are two areas of skin exposed on the front of male Sylvari.

I suggest that someone start looking at armor sets prior to release in order to determine how they fit all of the races and not just humans.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Byxorna.9528

Byxorna.9528

“You guys need to be more appreciative. Men from all other races are forced to wear normal clothing! They’ll never get to experience how cute they look wearing a hoop skirt!”

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

“You guys need to be more appreciative. Men from all other races are forced to wear normal clothing! They’ll never get to experience how cute they look wearing a hoop skirt!”

Attachments:

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

in Sylvari

Doggie.3184

Nuuu, can’t unsee!

Time for my Sylvari to /wrist over his pancakes.

I actually love t2 sylvari heavy cultural pants. They’re a nice change of pace from the rest of the heavy armor and give a sleek, elegant look that works perfectly with both t1 and t2 chest armor. More importantly, it’s one of the few armor skins that doesn’t suffer from any “skirt” effects or other proportion issues.

And the thread still stands.

Do NOT release ascended armor until you fix the male Sylvari skirt effect on it. We don’t want another skin ruined by this.

Sad thing is the Ascended medium I actually like. But the Skirt makes me wish I had Scissors.

Attachments:

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Sylvari

Duke Blackrose.4981

Sad thing is the Ascended medium I actually like. But the Skirt makes me wish I had Scissors.

My point exactly. Great skin, but terrible proportions. It looks perfect on a human.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Oaahbm.7046

Oaahbm.7046

Not a first thread about this. ArenaNet ignores them anyway.

If I recall correctly, SW:TOR have the exact same problem with Jedi Knight and chest pieces. The reason behind this issue is not only the character model – it’s also race specific animation, clipping and lazy design. Developers completely ignore this topic because they do not see this as an issue and therefore it will never be “fixed”. Company spends a lot of time producing regularly updates, but will not spend time working on these small details because it is not effective PR-wise.

(edited by Oaahbm.7046)

in Sylvari

Posted by: cazo.5018

cazo.5018

Bump this.

I have accepted that the old armor will never be fixed. However, if any model designers read this, please keep it in mind while fitting new sets. As a medium-armor wearer, the hoop skirt is impossible to avoid due to the lack of chest-pieces that end at the belt-line.

Bonus note: medium armor pieces that end at the belt-line (like every light armor chest piece) would also be awesome. Making one of the town shirts an armor skin would work.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Lady Lozza.9670

Lady Lozza.9670

A friend of mine always said how lucky I was to have female sylvari, because this “widening” issue doesn’t effect them nearly as much. On the first day of the toxic tower release I saw a male sylvari wearing medium exotic from the Orrian temples. Standing next to a human male in heavy T3 the sylvari was wider….

Let me make it clear: I CANNOT UN-SEE THAT SIGHT.

The crafted level 5-20 cloth armour is almost just as bad. I’m not sure I understand this issue. It makes male sylvari look ridiculous in 7/10 armours.

in Sylvari

Doggie.3184

It’s been soooo long. They should create a month long Living Story that revolves around high profile tailors and crafters vising Tyria and fitting Sylvari males properly by customizing all our armor with their amazing skills while they’re here.

Would be THE BEST living story ever.

in Sylvari

digiowl.9620

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Toxic-ShoulderPad

The bugs may be related to body size/build. Could it be that at one point they toyed with a norn size body for sylvari and never reset the meshes? Perhaps nobody at ANet plays non-slim/petite sylvari?

in Sylvari

Posted by: law.9410

law.9410

I think digiowl is right, I was complaining about t3 light cultural leggins only to find out it only looks bad on the buffest model sylvari. The t3 shoulders are kinda wierd too, has the floating effect. Aside from that, I love the sylvari cutural armors.

in Sylvari

digiowl.9620

One way to settle this would be to create a range of characters were the only difference is body build. Then take snaps of them wearing the same armors to highlight the difference.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ashin.5986

Ashin.5986

This is the first thing I noticed as a new player to the game. I don’t understand / don’t appreciate this aesthetic. I love the idea that the gender distinction is softened, but that’s not reason to outlaw normal-fitting pants or shirts.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I swear people slap my Sylvari’s butt as he runs by. =[ Please reduce skirt effect or add a “butt-slider”

in Sylvari

Posted by: mercenarynox.1695

mercenarynox.1695

The problem is do to slight difference in models between Human and Sylvari. I don’t know much about specifics, only that it ’doesn’t look like something that we can fix.’ I chatted with a dev in game about it months ago.

From my own observations, I’m pretty positive it has at least partly something to do with the male Sylvari stance, being sort of to the side and narrowed. Instead of the clothing scaling accordingly to that slight shift in direction, it instead just poofs outward in the ridiculous fashion we’re familiar with. Where as the Human male has a very squared stance, wider. It’s painfully obvious the Human male rigging came first, then it was tossed on the Sylvari’s different model with little consideration taken for that.

I would swallow my own head in joy if they fixed this, but I’m assuming it would take more work than they’re willing to commit. On the bright side, the new ascended armor leggings don’t poof (outside of the intended italian looking pants bit) ridiculously.

in Sylvari

Doggie.3184

Meow, guys. How do you like my fat booty naow?
I know that norn looks like he wants some of it.

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

One way to settle this would be to create a range of characters were the only difference is body build. Then take snaps of them wearing the same armors to highlight the difference.

I have four male sylvari and they all have different body types. They all also suffer from various wardrobe malfunctions, all of them have shoulder and skirt problems. The shoulder problem is the least noticeable on my very thin mesmer. Shoulders and skirts are a problem for both my slightly buff warrior (especially shoulders), and my engineer who is thin (especially skirts). My necro has a medium body type and suffers both problems equally. However, more than any of the others, my necro suffers GIANT GLOVE SYNDROME. The toxic gloves make his hands so big it would be funny, if it weren’t so sad. He looks like a mutant.

It’s more than a little off-putting.

in Sylvari

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

i can verify the GGS. Also have a sylvari necromancer and his Toxic Gloves look enormous, in perfect contrast with an otherwise lithe build. At least the problem will be gone once I get him TA chest/legs.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Sylvari

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

“It’s a kilt. It’s only a skirt if I’m wearing underwear.”

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Here we go, I decided to take pictures of my necro’s giant meaty hands to drive the point home.

Look at his upper arms compared to his hands!

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Here we go, I decided to take pictures of my necro’s giant meaty hands to drive the point home.

It’s like Red Riding Hood. Only without the red riding hood. Or the girl. Or the wolf. Or the grandma. Ok, nothing like it at all.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

Posted by: Derek.6017

Derek.6017

On the left, you have the idle stance with the weapon drawn. Wait just a second or two, and the robe will bend inward and clip with the leg as shown on the right.

Looks like this only happens when wielding a staff.

Attachments:

(edited by Derek.6017)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Trashman.8596

Trashman.8596

I thought it was odd my male Sylvari had a gigantic backside. But I doubt they will ever fix this. The Charr still have stretched textures and a lack of tail holes.

Venkas
Ehmry Bay/Haven Community
A Commander sometimes

in Sylvari

Doggie.3184

I thought it was odd my male Sylvari had a gigantic backside. But I doubt they will ever fix this. The Charr still have stretched textures and a lack of tail holes.

But the reason they’ll never fix Charr is because they’re the least played race, as indirectly stated by some Anet dude. Pretty sure a lot of people play Sylvari though. :O

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ashes.9586

Ashes.9586

But the reason they’ll never fix Charr is because they’re the least played race, as indirectly stated by some Anet dude. Pretty sure a lot of people play Sylvari though. :O

You really think being the least played race makes ignoring issues acceptable?
Hate to tell you but the sylvari aren’t really ahead of charr, they’re just right above charr in most played race. https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/1c2c9GW2_Anniv_Infographic-590x3215.jpg

So by that chart, everything except human and maybe norn is gonna get ignored.

The Legion Calls

in Sylvari

Doggie.3184

You really think being the least played race makes ignoring issues acceptable?
Hate to tell you but the sylvari aren’t really ahead of charr, they’re just right above charr in most played race. https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/1c2c9GW2_Anniv_Infographic-590x3215.jpg

So by that chart, everything except human and maybe norn is gonna get ignored.

Sounds accurate. Just saying Sylvari still come before Charr. Anet gives priority on things that are more popular than others.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Why does it seem like Anet doesn’t give a kitten about racial cosmetic issues? Charr have been complaining about the armor problems they’ve had for over a year and Anet literally never responded on forums. Seems they don’t care about sylvari or asura either. It boggles my mind that they make a game with endgame focus on cosmetics then don’t give a kitten about cosmetics.

… I still want tengu.