Jumping Puzzle Feedback [Merged]

in Wintersday

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

It was disappointing honestly. Setting aside the bugs such as getting ported back even when you didn’t fall, it just wasn’t very difficult. Not only were the jumps themselves easy, there wasn’t anything hard to figure out. The paths were very straight forward with no real tricks to work around.

Anet continues to disappoint me with their apathy towards their skilled players, in every facet of the game. I think they use a half drunk middle aged woman as their difficulty bar, and any time something is too hard for her, it gets nerfed or replaced with something easier.

The majority wins when 3/4 of your player base is complaining you better get ready for nerfs

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Got further that time. But died to the timer as the platform melted.

The next one was a change again. So fell off before the timer killed me.

Still, I get to post yet again.

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Got a head start this time that made it much easier.
And yeah, galeigh, I rushed the candy pole and fell.

Another one…

in Wintersday

Posted by: Foss.4830

Foss.4830

Only took me about 5 tries to get it. this is MUCH easier than the halloween one.

Bluecog – Valór [RUN] – Kaineng

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Waiting, waiting, waiting…

in Wintersday

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

I paid for this game, I invested in their product,

I’m sure they will gladly return all the money you paid for the Wintersday patch.

why should I not be able to participate because they aren’t creative enough to come up with a jump puzzle that is challenging and people like me don’t have to redo it 7,000 times

You are able to participate. This JP is perfectly doable with one hand, and games shouldn’t be designed for the lowest common denominator anyway. Maybe you think every dungeon encounter or dynamic event should be nerfed until it can be done by the least skilled player on the planet?

If there’s something you can’t do, go do something else. I doubt you’ve already finished every other jumping puzzle, dungeon and event in the game. And, if you have, I’d say you got your $60’ worth.

- Al Zheimer

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Route change again, died on the angle this time

in Wintersday

Posted by: galeigh.5721

galeigh.5721

Just take a deep breath and take it one jump at a time. this is nothing like the clocktower where the timer is always at your heels and the path is always rotating.

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Aaagh, got Norned and misjudged a jump-off.

and again…

(yo know, I really should do longer posts to indicate just how much down time there is in this puzzle).

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Got past the candy poles that time.

And there’s still lots of time to post… and post … and post..
(and I’m a slow typer)

in Wintersday

Posted by: galeigh.5721

galeigh.5721

The wait time in this JP is not as bad as the one in Clocktower. not only is it shorter, but you can have a snowball fight while you wait.

in Wintersday

Account.9832

A solution is easy-make 2 or 3 levels of difficulty. Easy=slow melting snowflakes. Hard=fast melting. You get the same achievement but better rewards for the harder one. Simple.

Er… why would you get the same achievement? Surely the harder version is a greater achievement, no? If ever there was a definition of “achievement”, that would be it – being able to do the hardest version.

There are already “varying difficulties” of jumping puzzles in the game. They just happen to be different jumping puzzles instead of the same puzzle recycled with different timers. Personally, I prefer a game with 30 jumping puzzles over one that has 10 puzzles with 3 “speeds” for each.

- Al Zheimer

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

The wait time in this JP is not as bad as the one in Clocktower. not only is it shorter, but you can have a snowball fight while you wait.

That’s true. Not sure the Clock Tower is a shining example to compare with though.

I’m enjoying this much more now I’m posting between attempts.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Here’s a tip that can apply to a lot of jumping puzzles to make them easier:

Click and hold down the right mouse button as you run the puzzle

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Here’s a tip that can apply to a lot of jumping puzzles to make them easier:

Click and hold down the right mouse button as you run the puzzle

Thanks, been doing that for a while – and, yes, it really helps.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Biscuithammer.8615

Biscuithammer.8615

Surely the harder version is a greater achievement, no? If ever there was a definition of “achievement”, that would be it – being able to do the hardest version.

Right, and you achieved it by beating the highest level. That is the achievement, not the 5 or so achievement points you got from it.[/quote]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Murderous Clown.9723

Murderous Clown.9723

The snowball fight is nice but in my experience the wait is worse because people tend to get much further.

Jimibabob – Valkyries of Dwayna [VoD]
Piken Square

in Wintersday

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

Why create something to please no one?
People who think everyone can jump as good as themselves would always brag how easy to complete it and claims “too easy”, while many other people would only get frustrated for not even able to go through halfway of it. There should be 3 difficulty levels by adjusting the time limit with a bit different rewards, but all reward the same achievement. I am so disappointed with them for repeating the same mistake. What a waste of good resources. Are you expecting everyone to run a marathon in 2 hours and 30 minutes?

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Waiting is not what we’re here for.

in Wintersday

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I am finding this puzzle just as frustrating, I get upto the presents and they dissapear from under me. The couple of times I got past the presents I got one shot by some thing.

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

I really hate being a short character in a crowd.
It’s bad enough that Asura have a worse angle for judging platforms, without disappearing from sight in the middle of it all.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vyral.4365

Vyral.4365

Love the jumping puzzle. It is much much easier than Mad King, but that’s okay, because it is still very fun. I have no problem with timed puzzles. In fact, that’s part of what makes it more fun and intense. I like the 3 starting pathways. I’ve completed all 3 pathways successfully enough times to realize that they’re slightly different but equivalent, which is great. The 3 different pathways are great to cut down the clutter of too many bodies jumping around you at once. Love the little “gotchas” such as the snowman blowing you off the big peppermint after the vanishing presents and the skritt lobbing mortars at ya.

All in all, Bravo ANet! Well done!

(I also loved the Clocktower!)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Because they’re amazing. This one isn’t anywhere near as time-sensitive as mad kings.

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Wow, even got a toilet break in between attempts!

Why all the waiting?
At least with the jumping puzzles in the world, the puzzles are always right there ready to go when you are.

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Finally got the invite from the overflow to the ‘real’ puzzle.
No crowds – yeah!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Eslyn.4682

Eslyn.4682

Three hours of trying and I still haven’t gotten through. Ugh.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Are you holding down the right mouse button as you do it? This will save you a lot of time so that you won’t be pausing after each jump to re-aim (re-position) yourself. You also have to keep moving.

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

And then my PC hung on me – go figure!
But at least the crowd free version was much faster.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

WHY WHY WHY must we wait for people who know how to do it? We have to race the clock which is bad enough, then when we fail WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. That’s the worst part. If I could keep practicing I wouldn’t mind keeping at it, but instead I get to wait and steam rather than put it behind me cause I am jumping.

How about this, if you already have the title, your in a different group. Or make it like fractals where you level up and the timer speeds up for higher prizes.

in Wintersday

Zenguy.6421

Great, back with the crowds again :-(
Not that I don’t like crowds, just not when I’m trying a timed jumping puzzle as an Asura

in Wintersday

Eslyn.4682

Are you holding down the right mouse button as you do it? This will save you a lot of time so that you won’t be pausing after each jump to re-aim (re-position) yourself. You also have to keep moving.

Yep. I’ve made it to the peppermints a whopping 3 times now, and to the snowball once.. then I some how fell off. Ugh.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

Ye, sorry if I sounded a bit narrow-minded or whiney.
Was just expecting something similar to the MKCT.
My first opinion came from some posts I read about the MKCT and how people thought it was too hard (though they still wanted the level 80 exotic boots, who wouldn’t?)
Personally, I love JP and do all new ones as soon as they come out.

Oh, btw if you struggle with it at all, I never let go of the w key at all for the snow flakes part (except the candy cane jumps). After that, I just use mouse for movement and ASD to slow/change movements slightly and they are about repetition, once you know how to do it once, it seems so simple.

in Wintersday

Eslyn.4682

The stupid candy canes almost always get me. I think if I had an extra couple seconds on snowflakes I’d be golden. I get them melting under me a lot. I had one time where I actually made it to the presents, and it disappeared as I jumped onto the first one. Lame.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

Get rid of the forced progress rate. No one likes being “pushed” from behind to beat the clock. It feels like there’s an invisible wall pushing you forward – not fun.

Instead, keep the timer but let it be unlimited – if it takes someone two hours to go through the puzzle, so be it. Post the fasted “top 10” speeds somewhere on a plaque in Lion’s Arch? That way, people will still be able to complete it as fast as they can if they wish, and people like me can enjoy the wonderful holiday atmosphere without being pushed from behind to race through it.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Clobimon.9652

Clobimon.9652

po’d after many falls

TIMED PUZZLES SUCK!!! 6k hours in GW and a HUGE ArenaNet fan, but…

Anet, why does EVERYTHING have to be a challenge!?!?!?!? One of the problems I’ve been having with developers is that they don’t seem to have any clue of how to create fun gameplay outside of combat and “challenging” activities. So far GW2 is failing like all the rest in this area when I thought they would be different.

During development I read some things that’s sounded promising in the area of “lazy fun” activity within the game. As it stands right now there is none of that. There was all this talk of minigames and activities in the cities and so far we’ve gotten the keg thingie that nobody does in Hoelbrak.

Need more stuff that doesn’t involve frustration! :P

in Wintersday

Posted by: CrusaderRabbit.7460

CrusaderRabbit.7460

I paid for this game, I invested in their product,

I’m sure they will gladly return all the money you paid for the Wintersday patch.

why should I not be able to participate because they aren’t creative enough to come up with a jump puzzle that is challenging and people like me don’t have to redo it 7,000 times

You are able to participate. This JP is perfectly doable with one hand, and games shouldn’t be designed for the lowest common denominator anyway. Maybe you think every dungeon encounter or dynamic event should be nerfed until it can be done by the least skilled player on the planet?

If there’s something you can’t do, go do something else. I doubt you’ve already finished every other jumping puzzle, dungeon and event in the game. And, if you have, I’d say you got your $60’ worth.

Such a narrow mindset. I can do everything else, just when I am forced to speed through a jump puzzle, I can’t do it. It’s easy for you, you have the mobility. Timed jump puzzles bad idea, jump puzzles where you need timing, better idea.

in Wintersday

Account.9832

I can do everything else, just when I am forced to speed through a jump puzzle, I can’t do it. It’s easy for you, you have the mobility.

Stop playing the poor victim. This is a game, it’s entertainment. If it’s not entertaining you, go do something else. As several people have pointed out, the puzzle is perfectly doable with one hand. And if you can’t do it, you can’t do it. There are lots of things I can’t do in life. I don’t ask for trees to be chopped down just because I can’t climb them.

- Al Zheimer

in Wintersday

Posted by: Leo.7942

Leo.7942

I’ve yet to finish this puzzle, but I made it near to the end where you have to scramble up presents after dodging giant snowballs. Artistically I thought it was very well done, and mechanically I can see how it improves upon the clock tower, especially with how people were split to minimize crowding.

My only complaint is how long the wait is between attempts, especially if you make a mistake early on. Whereas I kept at the clock tower puzzle for hours until I finally got it, I gave up here after only a handful of attempts because I was so tired of waiting. The snowballs set out for a distraction were a nice touch, as was the ability to observe people still doing the puzzle, but not enough when all I really wanted to do was try again.

I don’t know what the best solution for this is, but one that comes to mind is to use the same mechanic you already do in splitting people up—only this time, split them up based on the time they failed, and have separate instances or starting points with staggered start times. This way, people who make a silly mistake on the first few jumps (i.e. me) won’t have to wait a few minutes before trying again.

Overall though, I’d like to reiterate that this puzzle was very well done, and I’m looking forward to attempting it again.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Khyron.8735

Khyron.8735

My biggest complaint is the health ticking down. Other then that, this was a pretty good puzzle.

Ad majorem gloriam! Ad infinitum!

in Wintersday

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

I didn’t think it was too easy or too hard, I enjoyed it. The big issue right now is the loading screen timing out the snowflakes for some rigs.

Hoopa doopa.

in Wintersday

Posted by: anthsss.1564

anthsss.1564

This puzzle was perfect, not super hard, and not super easy either. I got it on my 5th try, but I was close to dying and I had fun doing it too.

Anths[TBCT]-NSP

in Wintersday

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

The entire of GW2 should not be designed around a minority of players who have trouble. Pretty silly thing to say.

Wow. Way to support someone with a disability. A solution is easy-make 2 or 3 levels of difficulty. Easy=slow melting snowflakes. Hard=fast melting. You get the same achievement but better rewards for the harder one. Simple.

You know what, screw that. I am completly willing to help someone with disabilitys if it means thay will have a better more fofiling life stile but im not going to change or nerf the rules of a sport just so thay can play with pro’s same can be said for video games

If a young 20 year old woman with no lags can divelop a way to run faster than some one with 2 working lags than a makeing his self a way to effectivly do a timed jumping puzzle should be easy

in Wintersday

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Because they probably believe every gamer in their audience is a young adrenaline junkie. That’s why they put such importance on jumping around, dodging, kiting… etc.

Personally, I won’t even try it. From experience with this game, I know better.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Wintersday

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

I made it on my third try. So this shocks me… some people just arent good at platforming I guess lol

in Wintersday

Posted by: garraeth.3267

garraeth.3267

The entire of GW2 should not be designed around a minority of players who have trouble. Pretty silly thing to say.

Wow. Way to support someone with a disability. A solution is easy-make 2 or 3 levels of difficulty. Easy=slow melting snowflakes. Hard=fast melting. You get the same achievement but better rewards for the harder one. Simple.

They should totally do this.
I also don’t like the timed nature of these jumping puzzles. But I’d like to see the content.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Topix.6974

Topix.6974

My first time trying it I got to the presents and one I was on ended up disappearing.

The second time I got past that part and didnt pay attention to the arrow and went down instead of up, so i died.

3rd time I made it to the last jump into the present and died….

4th time I ended up making it all the way to the end but somehow managed to miss the jump into the box and ended up falling.

5th time I made it to the end but for some reason my big ole charr fell thru the candycanes you jump on before the present.

6th time I finally made it….

All in all, this was a rather easy jumping puzzle. A lot easier than the Clock Tower was.
But I have completed every JP in the game, so that might of helped me being experienced in doing them.

Mentally On Call – 80 Elementalist
Mentally Disturbed – [MD]
Sanctum of Rall

in Wintersday

Posted by: populationcontrol.5072

populationcontrol.5072

It seems challenging enough and for me it’s fun, just like the clock tower from halloween.

The thing that’s getting me kitten off is the random failure…wth? That also happened in the clock tower, so I figured you’d have fixed it for this one. For no reason, I fail the puzzle. 5-6 times I didn’t even get past the third snowflake…. nothing’s damaging me beside the debuff and I’m not out of hp, I’m not falling off, there’s no rising mist of death catching up to me because I’m too slow… what’s going on? I’m sure i’m not the only one who has this happen… it’s really annoying.

in Wintersday

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

It could be lag. When I did the clock tower on my laptop, forget it, wasn’t gonna happen. I played on a proper computer afterwards and didn’t have any of those issues. What is your framerate at?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I have to say, I’m not a fan of the timed puzzles. This one was really good, overall, but I’d have loved to be able to start it as soon as I get there, and not have other people going at the same time.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mileinnor.7125

Mileinnor.7125

I couldn’t do the JP. I tried for 3 hours and I never got past the snowflake tiles. I don’t have good hand to eye coordination, and I have to do every JP slowly. Now that its timed, how on earth can I solve it? Forget about the music game. Can’t do that either. I just hope Tixx’s airship will be better.