Appreciate ascended armor you dang kids!

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I tell you right now you ungrateful little brats, back in the day we couldn’t just grab us a roll of cloth and smear some blood on it and call it ascended or infused or whatever you dang kids are calling it these days. We had to do it like MEN! We stormed up a mountain in the middle of winter carrying the gear we wanted to infuse with us just to talk to some old hag so ugly she’d make your eyes puke, only to have her direct us to some vile, nasty beast we had to kill, slice open and carefully remove some despicable organ full of some reeking goo and carry it back to the hag so she could smear it on our gear while we stood around in the bone chilling cold waiting, then wear that stinking gear back to town while it dried! Half the time half the party would wind up half dead, and the other half wholly half dead! We did it like MEN and were proud of it! You brats have it easy these days! Now git off my lawn! I’m going to take a nap and expect QUIET!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I love this with all my heart. +1

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

Back in the day it didn’t cost so much gold to make… Back in the day you could do it as many times as u wanted for as many sets as you wanted without time gateing, back in the day you could pay for a run… I miss those days. +1 for originality.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

That mission was easy as hell to do, really, and it didn’t cost kittenloads of gold nor platinum.

The Ascended armor we get in this game is just a boring crafting grind, there’s nothing interesting to it. You don’t get it through dungeons, you don’t get it through exploring, you don’t get it through completing epic chain quests.

No, you just get it by boring grind crafting.

Oh sure, a piece of Ascended armor (A piece you probably can’t even use or are wrong stats) might drop somwhere from a boss or something, with a droprate of 0,0001%.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

You get the mats from dungeon/wvw/world boss´s/champs so it nothing like normal craft item and is lot of fun to farm BIS that dont take 1day to make

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I tell you right now you ungrateful little brats, back in the day we couldn’t just grab us a roll of cloth and smear some blood on it and call it ascended or infused or whatever you dang kids are calling it these days. We had to do it like MEN! We stormed up a mountain in the middle of winter carrying the gear we wanted to infuse with us just to talk to some old hag so ugly she’d make your eyes puke, only to have her direct us to some vile, nasty beast we had to kill, slice open and carefully remove some despicable organ full of some reeking goo and carry it back to the hag so she could smear it on our gear while we stood around in the bone chilling cold waiting, then wear that stinking gear back to town while it dried! Half the time half the party would wind up half dead, and the other half wholly half dead! We did it like MEN and were proud of it! You brats have it easy these days! Now git off my lawn! I’m going to take a nap and expect QUIET!

That’s all you had to do? Back in my day we had to fight Abbaddon to banish him for the other gods only to find out some brain dead scholar wrote us out of the story to make it look like the gods did it themselves. Hmm wonder if Trahearne hired that scholar to write the story bout Zhaitan falling?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

+1 OP – the good ’ol days

Infusing armor back in the day meant a special mission designed just for that purpose. And you got your whole set done at once.

I’d much prefer if we could infuse our exotics via a sweet series of group quests, rather than the gold-intensive crafting it is.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

<— This guy is grateful!

The only thing I can complain about is ruining my own chances at making some nice bank. I’ve been gathering my own Ori for weeks, stocking up thousands to sell when the time was right, but I held onto it when the prices spiked to 9s at the armor announcement only to see it plummet on patch day. Anticipated about 650g profit, gonna be more like 250. QQ.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Yea I’m still trying to figure out why the market for mats dropped. I expected prices to go up from increased demand. But I guess a lot of people had the same plan you did and flooded the TP with mats.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

After spending all that time getting my sets of “Eliet” armor like my Obby set getting the infushion done was easy, but still fun.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

These threads make me laugh. Enjoy the treadmill.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

VOLKON.1290

These threads make me laugh. Enjoy the treadmill.

Treadmill? I’ve been on treadmills. This is not a treadmill.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I don’t remember it being much hassle in GW1. :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

VOLKON.1290

I don’t remember it being much hassle in GW1. :o

Shh! Play along. Things were always harder ‘back in the day’.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

Back in my day you bought your gosh darn robe for 22960gp from a shady dude in High Hedge with Flesh Golems and you liked it and admired what few pixels you had and were grateful for each and every one of them.

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I think I’d prefer to smear blood on my armor !

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Back in my day you bought your gosh darn robe for 22960gp from a shady dude in High Hedge with Flesh Golems and you liked it and admired what few pixels you had and were grateful for each and every one of them.

Back in the day,
1000 gold coins were worth 1 platinum ingot.

Nowadays,
48 platinum ingots are worth 1 gold coin.

What happened?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Back in the day,
1000 gold coins were worth 1 platinum ingot.

Nowadays,
48 platinum ingots are worth 1 gold coin.

What happened?

You didn’t hear this from me…

but reliable sources claim that Evon Gnashblade might be taking just a wee bit more off the top than advertised.

This is what happens when you let Charr run global finances. Those people run everything in the the ground until it either burns up, explodes, or explodes and then burns to the ground.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Toroxus.9256

Toroxus.9256

I think a lot of people need to play other MMOs to really appreciate how Anet did the Ascended and Exotic gear systems.
Best in slot gear? In any other MMO system, it would come from a level 50 Fractal and drop at random from the end boss, and usually not drop at all. Then, you’d have to roll over it with your other party members. And then, you’d go back and do it all over again for the rest of your equipment. Meanwhile, if you didn’t get that Ascended Armor, the next best things, exotics, would have such terrible stats that you wouldn’t be able to play most of the game. Without grinding for those Ascended, your stats would be so poor in WvW, PvP, and you wouldn’t even be able to set foot in Orr without a fully-ascended party.

Posted by: UKI Unknown.5094

UKI Unknown.5094

I think a lot of people need to play other MMOs to really appreciate how Anet did the Ascended and Exotic gear systems.
Best in slot gear? In any other MMO system, it would come from a level 50 Fractal and drop at random from the end boss, and usually not drop at all. Then, you’d have to roll over it with your other party members. And then, you’d go back and do it all over again for the rest of your equipment. Meanwhile, if you didn’t get that Ascended Armor, the next best things, exotics, would have such terrible stats that you wouldn’t be able to play most of the game. Without grinding for those Ascended, your stats would be so poor in WvW, PvP, and you wouldn’t even be able to set foot in Orr without a fully-ascended party.

Exactly this, and if I may elaborate…

ANet even told us the update was coming months in advance, giving us the opportunity to prepare for it. In other MMOs the update would be abruptly implemented and we would go many months hoping to get a lucky drop or amass the wealth required to purchase the gear from another lucky player. The only waiting I’m experiencing is from time-gated crafting components, and that’s easy waiting because armor will not fail during the crafting process.

Sure, there are areas in which people could complain. Not everyone likes the armor’s visuals, for example, and the difference in time-gating for light, medium and heavy sets is a bit odd, but overall this is a pretty accessible update that is not at all necessary for successful game play.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Back in my day games had heart and soul in them, game developers cared more about putting out a quality product instead of aiming for the highest possible profit. Those games surely had their problems but nothing serious compared to what we have now.

Now you get to play trash, a cash cow of a game where the developers don’t give a kitten about their customers / cattle.

When GW1 came out getting max stat armor wasn’t too hard if you’ve played for about a month or two and in less than 3 years time we had 3 expansions with that content that’s still there to this day.

Over 1 year passed since GW2 launched and we’re still with the same vanilla game we bought last year, only thing that’s permanent is fractals, we keep eating temporary content which is used mostly as an excuse to keep putting new items in the gem store.

They gave us Ascended armor but for what purpose? Fractals are capped at lvl50 and it’s doable without the armor. We can complain and argue about how grindy the game is, ANet isn’t going to change that. The time spent on getting Ascended armors out could have been used more wisely.

Get your facts straight people, ANet doesn’t care how grindy their games is and neither about your opinions.

Posted by: Dempsey.8760

Dempsey.8760

You get the mats from dungeon/wvw/world boss´s/champs so it nothing like normal craft item and is lot of fun to farm BIS that dont take 1day to make

I made mine day 1, your argument now?

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Wait a sec… Are you trying to make it sound like it was harder in GW1, or easier? I’m getting conflicting messages here!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Wait a sec… Are you trying to make it sound like it was harder in GW1, or easier? I’m getting conflicting messages here!

He’s making a joke, about how it was thematically harder for characters “back in my day” not attempting to compare the two, because trying to compare ascended GW2 gear with the function of infused armor in GW1 is apples and oranges, and would be a pointless discussion.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

its crafted only (besides trinkets) i played mmos most let you get from rng drop if not tokens you get regardless if it dropped or to work to it and get it later aslo it not time gated with laurels, but in gw2 its crafted or a insane rng lower then legendarys in other games

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Soooo … uphill both ways, right?

grin

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

He’s making a joke, about how it was thematically harder for characters “back in my day” not attempting to compare the two, because trying to compare ascended GW2 gear with the function of infused armor in GW1 is apples and oranges, and would be a pointless discussion.

& the joke I was making was it’s actually harder to do in GW2, so I thought he was being ironic.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

You forgot the part where the all-mighty raid leader deems you unworthy of rolling for the gear, and then kicks you out of the guild for talking back to him.

Oh the good times on raid chat.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

Tbh that was far more fun that how it is now days.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

…and we LIKED IT!!!

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

…and we LIKED IT!!!

And I remember having to do it 5 times, alone in the cold. I say alone because those mercs never talked back to me no matter how much I tried. They just happily took a share of my gold despite taking “naps” in the snow.

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Back in my day, we stuffed animals into tiny, magic balls and forced them to fight one another. Then we took on a league devoted to this concept until we defeated everyone and became champion of said league.

We then stood on a mountain for three years, waiting for a worthy challenger to find us.

Also, we ate flowers to throw fire balls, went into other people’s houses and broke pots, stealing their money, and explored the wasteland that was post-apocalyptic america.

None of it was hard or challenging, but it was fun.

AND WE LIKED IT.

Posted by: Evilbeavers.3964

Evilbeavers.3964

+1 to you

/15 chars

Kiblet – War Nubs – [NUB]
Terribad Ranger
Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

I appreciate the facetious style with which the OP is written, but the general message is still “appreciate this kitten , for in our day we had to make do with an even bigger, stinkier, kitten !”.

Still a kitten . We can do better.

(edited by ProxyDamage.9826)

VOLKON.1290

Pretty much this exactly. I enjoy both the missions from GW1 and the ability to actually craft at your own pace in GW2. Just a little light-hearted “back in the day” humor.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

Not only have most of us played other MMOs, which make it very difficult for players to get “top tier” stats, a lot of us played the first Guild Wars, in which Anet wasn’t obsessed with number-chasing and made customization simple, open and accessible.

In GW1 you settled for a +29HP upgrade component if you couldn’t afford the perfect +30, and that’s if you couldn’t manage to grab a cheap unique item that came with perfect stats. You also didn’t need to carry duplicates because you didn’t need to choose between a dozen different choices of item nomenclature.

I could go on for hours, but it’s very simple: we had and loved Build Wars. Any other MMO/RPG can offer a costly game of Build Numbers.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Ha! Back in my day, we had to do this once for each piece of gear that we wanted infused!

I remember doing the first mission that required infusions before knowing that I could get infusions! That was fun.

It’s interesting that we still remember these missions — I doubt we will remember fondly the Ascended gear grind we’re going through now.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Are you talking about gw1? Because I prefer that method over the gw2 one.

gw1: Get someone to run to the end (for a small fee, equivalent to about 1g in gw2 money), infuse your entire armor.
gw2: Spend 9128391718912371 gold.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The funny part is that in the early, early days of Prophecies, infusing armor pieces also had to be done one at a time, meaning you had to do the Iron Mines mission at least 6 times for a full set of armor.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People don’t seem to remember how hard it was to get max stats in GW1.

• +50 health rune was prohibitively expensive. Very people I know could afford one, let alone multiples for their characters and heroes.
  • Runes & insignias popular in the meta were expensive and sometimes the NPCs ran out of them. When the game first came out, you couldn’t even get these on demand.
  • Getting the right weapon stats was extremely difficult. There was no NPC who sold inscriptions no for prefix or suffix slots, so you either searched the wiki for the NPC who sold the right weapon and farmed the relevant trophies (often a pain), or you waited around one of the outposts to buy one, hoping to pay market rate or less. (And every minute spent looking for a seller was a minute that you weren’t playing the game.)

Getting level 20 max armor and level 20 max weapons was easy, but updating them with the stats you wanted was far more frustrating than the current system in GW2.

Yeah, I’d prefer to skip the time gating and I’d prefer all max stat items to be available on the TP (the game shouldn’t force people to learn crafting). And yeah, for all that trouble, I’d prefer getting more than a +5% stat boost and I’d like to be able to choose the skin. But all that said, I wouldn’t trade this system for that of other popular MMOs and I certainly don’t want to go back to the GW1 system. GW2’s system has its faults, but like democracy, it’s (so far) still better than the alternatives.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Real heroes go and slay some nasty ugly smelling monsters to get stuff they need for upgrading their armors. They venture into deepest caves and climb tallest mountains to find those rare and dangerous monsters. Thats what real heroes do!

Fashion armor models ( “gw2 heroes”) go and chop some trees, mine some nodes and craft their best armors. Then they proudly stand in Lion Arch linking their hard earned gear in chat! Thats what gw2 heroes do!

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Back in my day we couldn’t make tons of gold off of BiS gear. All the materials were soul bound. I looked at the stat increase and said, “Get off my lawn!” I would like to thank all of you for purchasing my bolts of damask.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Back in my day games had heart and soul in them, game developers cared more about putting out a quality product instead of aiming for the highest possible profit. Those games surely had their problems but nothing serious compared to what we have now.

Now you get to play trash, a cash cow of a game where the developers don’t give a kitten about their customers / cattle.

When GW1 came out getting max stat armor wasn’t too hard if you’ve played for about a month or two and in less than 3 years time we had 3 expansions with that content that’s still there to this day.

Over 1 year passed since GW2 launched and we’re still with the same vanilla game we bought last year, only thing that’s permanent is fractals, we keep eating temporary content which is used mostly as an excuse to keep putting new items in the gem store.

They gave us Ascended armor but for what purpose? Fractals are capped at lvl50 and it’s doable without the armor. We can complain and argue about how grindy the game is, ANet isn’t going to change that. The time spent on getting Ascended armors out could have been used more wisely.

Get your facts straight people, ANet doesn’t care how grindy their games is and neither about your opinions.

Except with the armor you can use the +5 infusions you buy with relics and not have to use +10 you have to either buy or craft to.

Not to mention that fractals are currently capped to 50 for the time being with higher levels to come later which you’ll need higher than 70 AR to do most likely.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Back in my day every single item was soulbound, and you couldn’t run past the endgame enemies. You would kill every single trash mob in your way and you liked it! You would then get to the ore node and mine a few measly ore and you would refine it and then thank the gods that you were so blessed. You would then spend an entire weekend farming with the blind hope that one of them might actually bleed. If you were in the lucky 1% that actually got an enemy to bleed, you would poor it into the molten metal and create an infused ingot. You would then take the ingot to a priest who would demand you defeat the Devil himself. If you were lucky, you had a guild to help out. If not, you would spend eternity asking “what if?” If you were lucky, you’d manage to defeat the first trash mob in Satan’s army. Once you finally cleared your way to the Devil himself, you pray to the RNG gods that his attacks would miss. Most of the time, the whole party would wipe and the devil would take your infused ingot starting you over from the beginning. If you managed to make it through, you would HOPE that the he dropped a devil horn, if not, you do it again. If it did drop, you’d take it to the priest who would then bless the ingot with the satanical power from the horn, giving you a satanic ingot. You would then hunt down hordes of angels for their halos. Each one had a 0.1% drop chance. Once you got 10 of them, you’d take the magma from hell to heat your forge where you would melt the metal from the halo together with the power from the horn and create your Omnipotent Ingot. Then, you would repeat the process over and over until you could create your Omnipotent gear making you as powerful as a god, only to have another set come out a week later that was 10 times harder to get. What was the moral of the story again?

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

+50 hp rune was unnecessary; they didn’t stack like runes do in GW2. GW1 upgrades were a bit costly but only for new players. Even players with >100g in GW2 will go broke buying top upgrades.

By the end of Prophecies you’ll have max, upgraded armor and a perfect weapon. Gear was statistically peaked at that point. It’s even better in other campaigns with a quick level 20 that has you playing the game rather than chasing levels and new gear for weeks.

Don’t even get me started on the GW2 personal story rewards; the end game reward is a yellow to GW1’s (perfect) green.

Max level/stats in GW1 was normal life. In GW2 it’s a very long, very costly journey to the top, and a giant inventory to hold suitcases of extra gear.

Not even sure why people seem to be talking about the GW1 infusion process. All that’s used for is to not die to Spectral Agony.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

VOLKON…

…you made me miss GW even more. * sniff * Q_Q

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

gw1: Get someone to run to the end (for a small fee, equivalent to about 1g in gw2 money), infuse your entire armor.

LOL, So far ive PROFITED off getting to 460 Armorcrafting. Spent 21g to get to 450 then i have been selling my daily for 15-20g (its down to 10 now). Once everything has stabilized in 2 weeks or so ill make my armor.

There is no need for ascended armor unless your doing fotm 50 dailies (im still at 41) or going for a new speed clear record.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

+50 hp rune was unnecessary; they didn’t stack like runes do in GW2.

Ascended gear isn’t necessary either. The GW1 +50 HP rune was “best in stats” and it wasn’t easy to accumulate the coin to get it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I’d take the old ascended armor over the GW2 version anyday. Back then, there was an actual storyline purpose to get it and a mission to do it in. Plus it was memorable, I mean, everyone remembers getting Eidolon poo and smearing it all over your armor. Who’s gonna fondly think back in 5 years and remember how you had to grind days and weeks to get your miniscule stat improvements?

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

LOL, So far ive PROFITED off getting to 460 Armorcrafting. Spent 21g to get to 450 then i have been selling my daily for 15-20g (its down to 10 now). Once everything has stabilized in 2 weeks or so ill make my armor.

There is no need for ascended armor unless your doing fotm 50 dailies (im still at 41) or going for a new speed clear record.

Pretty much this^^

I enjoy logging in and collecting my free gold from 10 seconds of crafting. Once it drops to 3-4gold per bolt like it will eventually, I will basically have a free set of armor plus some extra gold.

I would just like to take the time to thank all you players who are in a hurry to gain a small, mostly meaningless stat increase. It’s very profitable for some of us.