Ascended Armor

Ascended Armor

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s on my “long-term goals” list. Eventually I’ll outfit each of my characters in one set of Ascended gear (I’m aiming for 3 or 4 different armor sets on each character, for aesthetics and to serve different build purposes), but I won’t bother replacing all of my armor sets with Ascended.

And yeah, as Ayrilana says, I’m fairly certain that Grandmaster Cooking and Jeweler will be next to arrive. I’m deliberately holding off on buying Ascended trinkets simply because I want to see what options are available when r500 Jeweler comes around.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I’m personally looking forward to the implementation of Ascended Armor. I don’t really care much for the whole stat increase issue, I just want something new to work towards without having to go for a Legendary Weapon. It may just spark my interest back in the game, I’ll have to wait and see.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I know its been said this was coming. So ive been dreading it all this while, but let me just say that personally this… is just… too soon. Much too soon. I’m still trying to blot out from my mind the braindead mind boggling frustration that was grinding to get stuff to make just one of my toons fully ascended when the weapons came out. Thereafter despite friends still grinding for it, i avoided ascended crafting stuff (dragonite ore farm, salvage exotics for dark matter) like a plague.

Yeah i get the whole “small stats difference” argument, and I get that “most content is still easily done in exotics” thing, but having had care and put in investments in my toons, it really really really annoys me to know im running on the second best gear level. Aesthetics? from what ive seen its crap to me, but the stats, i do so want tohave toons that are statistically top notch.

to add to that, ANet seems to me to have consistently made ascended grind worse with each new addition. To date it still boggles me why on laurels vendor, Trinkets/Earrings are much more expensive than an Amulet, which has bigger stats numbers. I am seriously dreading to think what length of grind these armors would compel us to do.

So, to sum it, I know it eventually would come, but it doesnt lessen how negatively i feel towards it. I dont like gear grinding. I dont want to have a goal of “having new gear to work towards”. I want new stuff that i can do with the gear i already have and NOT new gear.

I’ll probably do my best to ignore this new aspect of gear grind. Long term goal? Dont know if i need one, as most of my friends/guildies are getting burnt out by the grind after grind. I’m hoping we’d all stay for a whole year more but i cannot say that with confidence now.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

If this was a goal I could work towards by playing the aspects of this game I enjoy, then this would be a slight bother.

However, since this requires me to 1 ) join the champ trains for any decent gold earning and 2 ) craft, this is again something that pushes me away from the game and leaves me disinterested in contributing with gem purchases.

The #1 reason I left WoW was the gear grind and this is something that ANet has continually pushed on players here…

You are in no way required to champ farm, nor is it the only way to earn decent gold, nor do you have to purchase materials, you can obtain them yourself. And if crafting leaves u disinterested best not try any other MMO.

Excuses to exclude ascended armor all amount to “but i don’t wanna!”.

Plus it has been mentioned in a interview or preview that ascended armor will drop in fractals at some point.

Champ farming is required for the dragonite and even if it wasn’t, it’s still the fastest way to earn the gold. The time it would take to obtain all these materials without buying any is a terrible idea when you consider the cost/benefit aspect.

In other MMOs, you can often ignore crafting if you want…not sure what your point is there.

And if that’s the only excuse you can pull from these threads, I think you’re too biased to your own opinion to really look at what people are saying.

I don’t like Ascended gear because:
– The gear serves as an unnecessary roadblock to experiencing the content I bought the game for.
– The gear adds nothing to the play experience aside from being able to outperform people who have less time to invest in the game.
– The gear is a lame distraction from adding new and interesting content.
– The gear sets a precedent for a gear treadmill and I bought GW2 specifically to escape the gear treadmill in other MMOs.
– The other reasons mentioned before regarding what they are requiring to attain the gear.

I have made 3 ascended weapons and still have t7 mats coming out of my ears from just playing the game as I normally do. I have never touched that champ farming train. You are totally exaggerating on how hard and exclusive these materials as you can get them doing almost anything.

Stopped reading here since you seem to think that everyone has as much free time as you do or enjoys grinding as much as you do.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: teheria.1290

teheria.1290

Assuming the drop in fractals, I will just wait to get them there. Crafting is not really well done in gw2…it’s going to cost way too much to get to 500 crafting, I’d rather just enjoy some fractals and wait for drops.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Assuming the drop in fractals, I will just wait to get them there. Crafting is not really well done in gw2…it’s going to cost way too much to get to 500 crafting, I’d rather just enjoy some fractals and wait for drops.

Depends on how you do it, I made a profit on the three weapon crafts, if you rush it and need it RIGHT NOW you’re going to lose cash, if on the other hand you only craft things that sell and at a profit you’ll pretty easily get to 500 in a couple weeks.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Knowing A-net certain rules will eventually bend to make it easier to obtain ascended gear over time. The account bound lock may stay on for awhile. However it does not stop them from putting ascended gear to NPC vendors or being able to salvage ascended equipment. But the final act will be able to get the it off the trading post. By that time we will have at least one or two full fledged expansions. To which people will have lost interest in GW2 statistical gain for endgame content that it won’t matter anymore. Even at the end of GW1 lifespan they were practically giving away tormented weapons. So I place it on the wait and see category for now.

I have way to much time put in my alt’s to care at the moment for ascended gear. The only three places I can think ascended gear would come into actual play is fractals, for zerker dungeon runners, and somewhat in WvW. On that note at least they are not selling it in temporary RNG boxes through the black lion store. So it could have been much worse then what we have now. But I do agree with some of the other posters, I will have to start stocking up on transmutation crystals. If I ever start going for this stuff. Which is a pain think about.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Ascended Armor

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

With it arriving on the 10th, how many people are happy about this new (I am assuming) grind?

Will it be something you work towards? Is it a step in the wrong direction in terms of time investment/enjoyment, or welcomed?

Will you work towards the armor due to aesthetics? Does the design encompass what you would expect of the “high-end” gear treadmill? (Judging by the image posted on the preview page, the armor itself looks lackluster, and imo kinda stupid >.>)

What is your estimation on the overall % for the power creep that will be introduced with this new tier of gear?

and finally: Do you believe this will be the final tier of gear that will be introduced? Or is there speculation that a tier for Legendary, and perhaps even a seperate new tier will be introduced later on in the game’s life?

Yay, grind, something to do when you already done everything. Love it.

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Ascended armor?….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIZdDvpYJE
Really why do we have to get another update that will surely make half of community very angry and divide players in to unending arguing.
This game doesn’t need any extremely alt-unfriendly and boring gear grind so why?
PS: Feel free to scream you own no too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Ascended > Trading Post Flippers and No-Life Grinders.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Ascended Armor

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

These topics are getting old. There is nothing to discuss. If you wanted a discussion it should have happened months ago not now on the verge of releasing.

this topic started that many months ago and we are still mad that says something. so no we wont accept blindly what could possibly the worst grind/money sink in mmo history

Seriously, you just came with worst grind/money sink in mmo history. Really? Man, you must not have played very many mmo’s then. I started with Everquest and then Dark Age of Camelot. Those games had a grind. Even though getting to 500 on crafting is tedious, it no way compares to the time and money spent leveling crafting in DAoC. on item could take like 3 or 4 minutes for the bar to go across and then you still had the chance to fail. I currently have one crafting profession at 500, and that is because I luckily had the mats for it available to level it up. I am slowly working my others up. In no way does it compare to other mmo’s out there.

I can understand some complaints, but what you just said is plain dumb. Man

Ok but one litle problem in era of Everquest grind was a norm in games. As same as losing everything while death and many other things.
This game is really going to be old style grindy game (even if there are some worse games) and it was supposed to be next-gen mmo. If was supposed to everything else then what is going to be now.
Would you like to corpse run for your loot if you die and lose it if you won’t make it?
I suppose not. But it is same thing people enjoyed in a past but no longer do exept some nostagic fans. (Even if we were very angry about losing everything it was a norm in games and we accepted it.)
GW2 was supposed to be free of everything that frustrated us in previous games from boring gear grind to mob,deposit,loot stealing.
And now they want to be same as those games we played before while they are still claiming themselfs a next-gen and that is ridiculous.

(edited by daros.3407)

Ascended Armor

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

I’ll wait a month or so before I make mine, I’m working on bolt anyways, and usually the prices go down after a while.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

These topics are getting old. There is nothing to discuss. If you wanted a discussion it should have happened months ago not now on the verge of releasing.

this topic started that many months ago and we are still mad that says something. so no we wont accept blindly what could possibly the worst grind/money sink in mmo history

Seriously, you just came with worst grind/money sink in mmo history. Really? Man, you must not have played very many mmo’s then. I started with Everquest and then Dark Age of Camelot. Those games had a grind. Even though getting to 500 on crafting is tedious, it no way compares to the time and money spent leveling crafting in DAoC. on item could take like 3 or 4 minutes for the bar to go across and then you still had the chance to fail. I currently have one crafting profession at 500, and that is because I luckily had the mats for it available to level it up. I am slowly working my others up. In no way does it compare to other mmo’s out there.

Ok but one litle problem in era of Everquest grind was a norm in games. As same as losing everything while death and many other things.
This game is really going to be old style grindy game (even if there are some worse games) and it was supposed to be next-gen mmo. If was supposed to everything else then what is going to be now.
Would you like to corpse run for your loot if you die and lose it if you won’t make it?
I suppose not. But it is same thing people enjoyed in a past but no longer do exept some nostagic fans. (Even if we were very angry about losing everything it was a norm in games and we accepted it.)
GW2 was supposed to be free of everything that frustrated us in previous games from boring gear grind to mob,deposit,loot stealing.
And now they want to be same as those games we played before while they are still claiming themselfs a next-gen and that is ridiculous.

But it is not, that is where this argument looses steam. I am sorry, but I don’t see it the way your describing it. It is all a matter of perception. My question is this, if the ascended tier were in the game at the release, would there still be these complaints. I don’t think so, I think there would be some complaining it is taking to long to get but not that it shouldn’t be here.

I play this game to enjoy it. I don’t rush to get stuff. I had everything for my first ascended weapon within a weeks time, except dragonite ore. It took me over a month to get it because I wouldn’t go do world boss, unless they was called out in guild chat and I wasn’t already envolved in something else. I didn’t grind for anything. Just like now, I am playing normally and everything is coming together. That is not a grind. I am not spending any money to speed the process up. It will be the same for me when the armor comes. Everyone that has complaints about ascended being a grind, are wanting it as fast as they can, and not let it come naturally. This is where my stance comes from and how I came to my opinion about it. It comes from me playing the game to way I want.

Now the ones that haven’t crafted before, I can see where the grind argument comes in, and this one falls on ANET’s shoulders for not having ascended in the game when it released, cause then everyone would have known they needed to craft to get it.

Most of the complaints I see are all about perception, not about the grind, cause honestly, if you just play the game, you will be able to get where you want to be, but if you need it now, then you will have to grind to get it.

Hjorje

Ascended Armor

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

Once I get the 9 characters that I play with equipped with ascended weapons, by around the year 2016, sure I’ll start working towards the ascended armor.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

Don’t really care nor is necessary to play, can’t see the reason of rage on the forums. If you need it for fractals or WvW make one set, Pve in general doesn’t requires it.(yet)
Haven’t finished an ascended wep yet, but I don’t feel that I’m forced to do it. I can do everything I want in exos.

Grinding is only a choice, but ppl are impatient.Why rush for something that’s optional and not so good looking.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

The ascended armor is only a little bit better than exotic armor. I am quite sure it will have an (passive) infusion slot. The current infusions are not so powerful in regards to the attributes.

The big unknown so is what Arenanet has planned for the infusion in the future. The introduction of ascended items is now completed. Maybe we will see Jeweler and cook at level 500 in future, but in principle we are done. The question is now: Will Arenanet shift the vertical progression to infusions? There would be space for four additional tier of infusions: green, yellow, orange and purple. Will we see such infusions? What pattern of attribute will they have? Something similar to sigils and runes? If we would see infusions like + 15 power/ + 10 precision/+1% crit. damage or +15 toughness/ +10 vitality/ -1% crit. damage received, could you still ignore ascended items?

The infusions are the items that will decide the importance of ascended items. The future will tell us the way infusions will go. I will be prepared for it.

I think this is the most interesting aspect of the whole ascended gear discussion.

As Things are now, the ascended armor is mostly interesting for the possibility of agony infusions for high level fractals. Remember Level 50 requires 70+ to be on the safe side.
Together with the new upgradable AR infusions they’ve laid the groundwork for higher levels of fractals. And honestly, to get to 70 using what is availlable now without ascended armor would requite 1536 +1 Agony infusions to build the necessary 3 +10 infusions. I think it’s easier to craft a few pieces of ascended armor. Unless you buy the +1 infusions large scale on the TP. Which requires quite a bit of gold.

But I’m getting slightly off topic.
Any other aspect of the game can be done without ascended gear. It get’s easier if you have it, but not to the point where you can faceroll anything just because of the ascended equipment.
Because anything you can faceroll in ascended gear, you can easily manage to faceroll in exotics as well.

The only aspect of the game, where ascended equipment can make a difference is in WvW. And there you’ll most likely only notice it if two well coordinated premade groups of small to medium size clash. Or sometimes if you’re roaming.
In a large zerg battle there are way to many other factors that the ascended gear alone could carry the day.
It might help a little, just like in pve outside fractals, but it is nowhere near mandatory.

All of this could however change drastically, if higher grade infusions are made availlable, like Belenwyn stated. But that’s a story for another day.

So my personal conclusion: Ascended gear isn’t that necessary outside of the mentioned scenarios.
Other than that it is just a personal goal if you want to max out your toon. But that’s between you and your toon.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

(edited by Silberfisch.3046)

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

If this was a goal I could work towards by playing the aspects of this game I enjoy, then this would be a slight bother.

However, since this requires me to 1 ) join the champ trains for any decent gold earning and 2 ) craft, this is again something that pushes me away from the game and leaves me disinterested in contributing with gem purchases.

The #1 reason I left WoW was the gear grind and this is something that ANet has continually pushed on players here…

You are in no way required to champ farm, nor is it the only way to earn decent gold, nor do you have to purchase materials, you can obtain them yourself. And if crafting leaves u disinterested best not try any other MMO.

Excuses to exclude ascended armor all amount to “but i don’t wanna!”.

Plus it has been mentioned in a interview or preview that ascended armor will drop in fractals at some point.

Champ farming is required for the dragonite and even if it wasn’t, it’s still the fastest way to earn the gold. The time it would take to obtain all these materials without buying any is a terrible idea when you consider the cost/benefit aspect.

In other MMOs, you can often ignore crafting if you want…not sure what your point is there.

And if that’s the only excuse you can pull from these threads, I think you’re too biased to your own opinion to really look at what people are saying.

I don’t like Ascended gear because:
– The gear serves as an unnecessary roadblock to experiencing the content I bought the game for.
– The gear adds nothing to the play experience aside from being able to outperform people who have less time to invest in the game.
– The gear is a lame distraction from adding new and interesting content.
– The gear sets a precedent for a gear treadmill and I bought GW2 specifically to escape the gear treadmill in other MMOs.
– The other reasons mentioned before regarding what they are requiring to attain the gear.

I have made 3 ascended weapons and still have t7 mats coming out of my ears from just playing the game as I normally do. I have never touched that champ farming train. You are totally exaggerating on how hard and exclusive these materials as you can get them doing almost anything.

Stopped reading here since you seem to think that everyone has as much free time as you do or enjoys grinding as much as you do.

If grinding = going out and doing a variety of different activities with my guild, saving, and progressing one day at a time… yeah I enjoy that, don’t see anything wrong with it. You can eventually get there just by playing the game and doing a variety of activities, just because you cant complete something in a few hours or are to stubborn to venture out into different areas of the game for variety doesn’t make it a grind.

So because you don’t feel like you have the “time” to actually play the game, this “grind” shouldn’t exist?

Sounds like you want the game tailored for you and only you, by taking away other people’s goals and enjoyment so you don’t have to feel compelled to achieve the goal, extremely selfish. This armor does nothing to change the content that exists or your ability to play it with exotic armor.

And yes you would stop reading there since your reasons for excluding this armor are not valid ones and leave you unable to logically counter my points.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Ascended Armor

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

^This.

It cracks me up when people use terms like “worst in history” or “most awful thing ever”. Especially when 1. Isn’t true, and 2. Has no basis.

I see in Horje’s original post that he says that at this point, these arguments are ridiculous and I have to agree. Ascended items are here and are not going away. Why beat a dead horse? If you have problems with things not implemented yet, speak out. To keep complaining about things that are implemented and permanent just seems silly.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: rei.3654

rei.3654

It seems like each piece of armor will be around as much as a weapon usually if i’m mistaken, so this is a crazy grind. It’s not something I like at all. As I’m still working on ascended weapons, I’d have preferred if there was less pressure, and armor waited like a few more months after. Now there’s pressure to make both weapons and armor, and prices will change greatly and so forth. I feel pressure though it doesn’t seem to have such great stat increase on paper, it’s still a matter of perfection. Like just knowing my build could be even more optimal…. irks me lol

Ascended Armor

Hjorje.9453

It seems like each piece of armor will be around as much as a weapon usually if i’m mistaken, so this is a crazy grind. It’s not something I like at all. As I’m still working on ascended weapons, I’d have preferred if there was less pressure, and armor waited like a few more months after. Now there’s pressure to make both weapons and armor, and prices will change greatly and so forth. I feel pressure though it doesn’t seem to have such great stat increase on paper, it’s still a matter of perfection. Like just knowing my build could be even more optimal…. irks me lol

What pressure, seriously. The only pressure there is to have any of this stuff is the pressure you put on your self. Really, step back and look at it. I feel no pressure to have to get this done, I feel no pressure to get my ascended weapons done. I enjoy the game and play it the way I want and all the mats and everything come together without me trying. How is that pressure. If there is pressure on your end, it is pressure you are creating.

Hjorje

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

But it is not, that is where this argument looses steam. I am sorry, but I don’t see it the way your describing it. It is all a matter of perception. My question is this, if the ascended tier were in the game at the release, would there still be these complaints. I don’t think so, I think there would be some complaining it is taking to long to get but not that it shouldn’t be here.

I play this game to enjoy it. I don’t rush to get stuff. I had everything for my first ascended weapon within a weeks time, except dragonite ore. It took me over a month to get it because I wouldn’t go do world boss, unless they was called out in guild chat and I wasn’t already envolved in something else. I didn’t grind for anything. Just like now, I am playing normally and everything is coming together. That is not a grind. I am not spending any money to speed the process up. It will be the same for me when the armor comes. Everyone that has complaints about ascended being a grind, are wanting it as fast as they can, and not let it come naturally. This is where my stance comes from and how I came to my opinion about it. It comes from me playing the game to way I want.

Now the ones that haven’t crafted before, I can see where the grind argument comes in, and this one falls on ANET’s shoulders for not having ascended in the game when it released, cause then everyone would have known they needed to craft to get it.

Most of the complaints I see are all about perception, not about the grind, cause honestly, if you just play the game, you will be able to get where you want to be, but if you need it now, then you will have to grind to get it.

I respect that you enjoy crafting ascended gear, but it was not supposed to be in game. We had promised vertical progression and only very little of horizontal. But ascended gear brings much more horizontal progression to game. I watched for i think 3 month before i bought it to see if its really the game they promised. Especialy gear grind free and it really was so i bought it. So to answer your question, if it would be on release how it is now i would not waste my money on it.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

I believe it was said somewhere that it was originally intended for release (as was the tengu as a playable race) but it had to be put off because NCsoft wanted the game released. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I would contend that it is poorly implemented since there is only one really viable way to get it. It isn’t a “must have” like in other games though. They aren’t changing the content so that you have to do it right away.

I am of the mind that they should have made it so that WvW was more like sPvP where everyone is forced into the same grade of armor though. Level playing field in terms of stats is a good thing.

Do what I am going to do: I have been hoarding mats for months for this. I am selling it all a few days after this update goes live. I will make my stuff a few months after when the prices have come down. I don’t play WvW though so this doesn’t affect me one iota.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Ascended Armor

Hjorje.9453

I respect that you enjoy crafting ascended gear, but it was not supposed to be in game. We had promised vertical progression and only very little of horizontal. But ascended gear brings much more horizontal progression to game. I watched for i think 3 month before i bought it to see if its really the game they promised. Especialy gear grind free and it really was so i bought it. So to answer your question, if it would be on release how it is now i would not waste my money on it.

You got your vertical and horizontal backwards, but I understood what your saying. Vertical progression with ascended gear is small, and if that don’t add PvE content that requires it then it is just another tier where there is no pressure to get it because it isn’t required to play the game. Which in turn means there is no hurry to get it. The moment they start adding content that requires the ascended stuff (open world) then that is when this game goes down hill. That will be the start of the gear treadmill and that will be when I start looking for something else.

I wouldn’t even say I like crafting it. I was just saying there is no grind to craft it unless you make the grind. If you have to have it right now, then yes there is a grind.

Hjorje

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Rinbox.2570

Rinbox.2570

MMO’s are extremely boring if you have nothing to work towards. I for one do not mind one bit working towards a ton of expensive time consuming gear. I’m not going to spend every single waking minute trying to farm materials for it but its something nice to work towards here and there

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Rinbox.2570

Rinbox.2570

Complaints like these make absolutely no sense to me at all. They have improved on a lot of terrible mechanics from previous MMO’s like they intended to do. However when everyone cries about having something new to work towards it just ends up “being a grind”. WHAT DO YOU THINK AN MMO IS? its a REPETITIVE time sink. you spend time playing these games doing REPETITIVE things. If you want a linear game then your playing the wrong type of game period. Having new gear to work towards is perfectly fine. Thank god this game doesn’t have the Tier armor system like WoW did where every 6 months or so all of your armor and weapons turn to crap when they release something that much better. At least Ascended items have very minimal stat increases and they are fully accessible to every single player if you so chose to make it. The best armor in other games like WoW is only available to the absolute top tier players in some cases

Ascended Armor

jheryn.8390

Complaints like these make absolutely no sense to me at all. They have improved on a lot of terrible mechanics from previous MMO’s like they intended to do. However when everyone cries about having something new to work towards it just ends up “being a grind”. WHAT DO YOU THINK AN MMO IS? its a REPETITIVE time sink. you spend time playing these games doing REPETITIVE things. If you want a linear game then your playing the wrong type of game period. Having new gear to work towards is perfectly fine. Thank god this game doesn’t have the Tier armor system like WoW did where every 6 months or so all of your armor and weapons turn to crap when they release something that much better. At least Ascended items have very minimal stat increases and they are fully accessible to every single player if you so chose to make it. The best armor in other games like WoW is only available to the absolute top tier players in some cases

+1 to you Rinbox. Unless they come up with a way to make your personal story line infinite, then the game is just as you said, repetitive.

The problem I see is that many people will not accept the game as it is given and play it and enjoy it for what it is. When I don’t like something, I either accept those things that I do not like as part of what is or I move on.

I think it is OK, to express your dislike of something, but do it and let it go.

Many of those I see on these boards complaining about grinding must be lying because they are constantly repeating themselves over and over in any thread they can about how much grind sucks. If all those repetitious posts aren’t grind, then I don’t know what is. LOL

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

I agree with most people in the thread. Ascended is just Way too expensive to afford for the minute amount of bonus. I have yet to ever get an ascended anything as a drop outside of fractals and I play too many different characters to care gearing up with ascended junk. Not to mention having multiple sets of gear for each character just would never happen. All the power to the people that play one toon and like shinnies though!

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

Nonsense.
First of all this game was perfect before ascended gear. We had lot of thinks to work on even without it and it was truly not needed if you dont want it. Not like ascended gear that is needed for some concent and gives advantage, even very low but gives.
You played wrong type of game if you wanted gear grind in this game becouse there was non before ascended and it was awesome.
And yes we dont have new tier of gear every 6 months. Instead of that you will repeat same process for even a year if you have multiple characters just to gear them up.
This game was not the MMO you describe it was something unique. Without ascended gear it wasn’t ,,REPETITIVE time sink" Now it will be. You played wrong game not me. But congratulations you will have your average mmo now.

Ascended Armor

Hjorje.9453

But it isn’t an average MMO. This goes back to perception. I see this game as the perfect MMO. I don’t WoW, or any of the other gear grinds out there. I don’t see this as even remotely close to those games. But you do. It is all a matter of perception.

This is where the divide. Some people can’t except it, they see it as going against “What they thought this game was” where I see it as “What this game gives me now”. I don’t have to have gear to do certain things, I don’t have to worry about hurrying up to get gear to do things because new gear is coming, I don’t get left out of content because I don’t have gear. I get to play the game and enjoy it, do the things I find fun in the game. This isn’t an average MMO.

Plus they add content all the time, whether it is temp or permanent, it is going added all the time, and guess what, it doesn’t require gear. I do a lot of things in this game that are repetitive. I run dungeons or fractals (in the teens) everyday. Not because I am trying to get something, but because I enjoy doing them. They are fun for me. I enjoy grouping up with some guildies and going to WvW for a few hours sometimes, because it is fun. I enjoy grouping my guildies and doing World Bosses, not for the rewards, but for the fun of it.

As a GW1 vet, and being a Vet of some grindy games, GW2 fits right into what I want now, I don’t want a game that forces me to do something, to grind for something. I have done that and that is why I started GW1 for something new. GW2 gives me what I want from a game, to play how I want and the things I want will come to me, without having to grind for them.

It is all a matter of “PERCEPTION”. There is never going to be a game on the market that fills everyones exceptations, so you either have to accept the things you don’t like and play the game, or go somewhere else. That is where you are my friend.

Hjorje

Ascended Armor

jheryn.8390

Nonsense.
First of all this game was perfect before ascended gear. We had lot of thinks to work on even without it and it was truly not needed if you dont want it. Not like ascended gear that is needed for some concent and gives advantage, even very low but gives.
You played wrong type of game if you wanted gear grind in this game becouse there was non before ascended and it was awesome.

As to this game being perfect before ascended gear, that is a matter of opinion and not one many would share I believe. There were many things that needed to be fixed and I believe ANet has done a great job of doing many of those things.

And really, HOW is ascended armor being in the game hurting you? No one is forcing you to grind for ascended gear. It doesn’t give any real noticeable advantage outside of fractals. I am going to work on getting some for my toon that I use for fractals and feel no desire to get it for any other character.

Other than you, who is pressuring you to grind for ascended gear? What huge advantage does it give to others over you?

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

Nonsense.

As to this game being perfect before ascended gear, that is a matter of opinion and not one many would share I believe. There were many things that needed to be fixed and I believe ANet has done a great job of doing many of those things.

And really, HOW is ascended armor being in the game hurting you? No one is forcing you to grind for ascended gear. It doesn’t give any real noticeable advantage outside of fractals. I am going to work on getting some for my toon that I use for fractals and feel no desire to get it for any other character.

Other than you, who is pressuring you to grind for ascended gear? What huge advantage does it give to others over you?

Exactly as you said ,,It doesn’t give any real noticeable advantage outside of fractals"
But i am fractal player. I have 55 ar now and when they will add more fractal level i will have to get ascended armor. I play hight level fractals becouse i enjoy it as good challanging pve content.
So i will have to do lot of other things even if i dont enjoy them just to do what i enjoy. New AR slots are much less effective and even more time consuming then Ascended crafting.
Doing boring stuff (and dont tell me you enjoy everything you have to do for ascended gear) to get to fun stuff is gear gring and it really hurts my gaming experience.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: mercenarynox.1695

mercenarynox.1695

With it arriving on the 10th, how many people are happy about this new (I am assuming) grind?

Will it be something you work towards? Is it a step in the wrong direction in terms of time investment/enjoyment, or welcomed?

Will you work towards the armor due to aesthetics? Does the design encompass what you would expect of the “high-end” gear treadmill? (Judging by the image posted on the preview page, the armor itself looks lackluster, and imo kinda stupid >.>)

What is your estimation on the overall % for the power creep that will be introduced with this new tier of gear?

and finally: Do you believe this will be the final tier of gear that will be introduced? Or is there speculation that a tier for Legendary, and perhaps even a seperate new tier will be introduced later on in the game’s life?

Most of the armor looks awful, but it just so happens that the light leggings/boots/chest/gloves look fantastic with my setup, not to mention the coat bits don’t poof out ridiculously like they do on most male sylvari armors. Been waiting and saving for this release a long time, so yes I’ll definitely be working toward the pieces mentioned for the looks alone. (though the minor stat increase doesn’t hurt)

Gear treadmills are awful, and I seriously hope ANet stops with it here. We have ascended weapons, we have ascended armor (on the 10th), that’s enough. A full exotic set isn’t hard to come by these days, so the ascended is sort of that final absolute bit of work if you’re so inclined to get the minor increase, without being horribly kitten if you don’t.

I’m a little disappointed with a lot of the armor designs in this game, so I can’t comment on aesthetics to tier expectations without being horribly bias. ANet needs to just straight up copy The Witcher series’ armor designs as much as possible without getting sued. I would buy every kitten set on the gemstore.

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

“What this game gives me now”……………………………………………………..It is all a matter of “PERCEPTION”. There is never going to be a game on the market that fills everyones exceptations, so you either have to accept the things you don’t like and play the game, or go somewhere else. That is where you are my friend.

See my answer to Jheryn what this game gives me now :-)
And just becouse you said that……..Yes i really fear i will have to stop playing this game. I was already considering it when ascended weapons came. But i wanted to give them chance to change things according to feedbacks of many people.
I think i will participate and watch closely CDI topic about Ascended gear that should come next week or week after it. and decide if i will stay in game after it.
WARNING: I just answered Hjorjes post. This is no threatening to leave game by any means! Before someone will asccuse me…..

Ascended Armor

jheryn.8390

Doing boring stuff (and dont tell me you enjoy everything you have to do for ascended gear) to get to fun stuff is gear gring and it really hurts my gaming experience.

To be honest, I don’t mind leveling my crafting up to 500 and I don’t mind doing the crafting and events it takes to get the mats for the weapons. It is all part of the experience for me. I don’t look at it as grind. I look at it like it as game play. It’s just what I have to do to get what I want. I don’t expect things to just be given to me. I like working toward something and being excited when I finally get it.

I’m sorry it hurts your gaming experience but what I have to do to get what I want enhances my experience. It took much, much more to get my legendary, and not one part of obtaining what I did to get it bothered me at all. Just part of the game and part of my fun.

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

To be honest, I don’t mind leveling my crafting up to 500 and I don’t mind doing the crafting and events it takes to get the mats for the weapons. It is all part of the experience for me. I don’t look at it as grind. I look at it like it as game play. It’s just what I have to do to get what I want. I don’t expect things to just be given to me. I like working toward something and being excited when I finally get it.

I’m sorry it hurts your gaming experience but what I have to do to get what I want enhances my experience. It took much, much more to get my legendary, and not one part of obtaining what I did to get it bothered me at all. Just part of the game and part of my fun.

Well yes but why dont they give us more ways to get ascended gear then just crafting and unnoticeable chance of drop?
I had no problem with ascended accessories becouse i had to do only what i enjoyed to get it. And it is not easy to get full ascended accessories.
But for armor and weapons i have to farm tons of gold and do many things i dont enjoy. Why they dont just give more possibilities? Why cant i buy all ascended gear for relics and laurels like accessories? Even if it would took 14 days to get one piece like in crafting……….I wouldn’t love ascended gear anyway but at least i would do what i like to get it.

Ascended Armor

Hjorje.9453

“What this game gives me now”……………………………………………………..It is all a matter of “PERCEPTION”. There is never going to be a game on the market that fills everyones exceptations, so you either have to accept the things you don’t like and play the game, or go somewhere else. That is where you are my friend.

And just becouse you said that……..Yes i really fear i will have to stop playing this game. I was already considering it when ascended weapons came. But i wanted to give them chance to change things according to feedbacks of many people.
I think i will participate and watch closely CDI topic about Ascended gear that should come next week or week after it. and decide if i will stay in game after it.
WARNING: I just answered Hjorjes post. This is no threatening to leave game by any means! Before someone will asccuse me…..

I am by means telling you to quit.

I was already considering it when ascended weapons came. But i wanted to give them chance to change things according to feedbacks of many people.

There is also a lot of feedback for the ascended items. I think this is really split down the middle. I know a lot of people in my guild don’t mind the ascended at all. The thing your looking at is the feedback on forums. It is a proven fact, people are more likely to go to a forum to express their displeasure with something then to go there to express their pleasure. That is why it looks like a large portion of the populace is against it. But just think about all the ones that don’t come here.

I also haven’t seen anything about the CDI process even talking about ascended stuff, could you link me where they said they was going to talk about it in the coming weeks. I hope you can find the fun in the game, and hope you stay, but this is a losing battle about ascended, once it is here they are not taking it away. So it is time to accept that it is here and move on.

Hjorje

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

I am by means telling you to quit.

I was already considering it when ascended weapons came. But i wanted to give them chance to change things according to feedbacks of many people.

There is also a lot of feedback for the ascended items. I think this is really split down the middle. I know a lot of people in my guild don’t mind the ascended at all. The thing your looking at is the feedback on forums. It is a proven fact, people are more likely to go to a forum to express their displeasure with something then to go there to express their pleasure. That is why it looks like a large portion of the populace is against it. But just think about all the ones that don’t come here.

I also haven’t seen anything about the CDI process even talking about ascended stuff, could you link me where they said they was going to talk about it in the coming weeks. I hope you can find the fun in the game, and hope you stay, but this is a losing battle about ascended, once it is here they are not taking it away. So it is time to accept that it is here and move on.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Process-Evolution/first I dont know exacly where it is. Just stop at every red post and you will eventualy find it :-)
Well there are lot of people who like ascended gear or dont care, but doesn’t mean the number of people that dont like it is small. As you know many people dont care or like i know many that hate it :-)
And the fact that people voted for it as second most important topic to talk about in PVE speaks for fact that there are many unsatisfied people. Even with fact that people usualy come to forum if they are unsatisfied.
I found it

FYI if we go with the next topics from the initial call for topics threads (Global) then they are as follows:

PVE: Ascended Gear
PvP: Rewards and Progression
WvW: Skill Lag

These are all pretty focused topics which means we will be able to enter into the discussions more readily in terms of time. The bigger the topic the more divergent the discussions and this makes it harder for us to give them our full attention.

Chris

Now there runs WvW topic about about comander system, becouse they thought WvW topic had less developer atention and discussion about skill lag cant change anything now becouse it is more complicated problem, as far as i know. After it Ascended discussion should came if there will be PVE and PVP discussion at same time.

(edited by daros.3407)

Ascended Armor

jheryn.8390

But for armor and weapons i have to farm tons of gold and do many things i dont enjoy. Why they dont just give more possibilities? Why cant i buy all ascended gear for relics and laurels like accessories? Even if it would took 14 days to get one piece like in crafting……….I wouldn’t love ascended gear anyway but at least i would do what i like to get it.

Why they shouldn’t let you get it in the way you enjoy is because they cannot give everyone everything in exactly the way they want it. You cannot please everyone in everything. There are many things in this game I would like to do differently but I don’t complain because things are not done the way I wish they were. I accept things for how they are not how I would like them to be.

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

Why they shouldn’t let you get it in the way you enjoy is because they cannot give everyone everything in exactly the way they want it. You cannot please everyone in everything. There are many things in this game I would like to do differently but I don’t complain because things are not done the way I wish they were. I accept things for how they are not how I would like them to be.

As same as it is hard to please everyone it is easy to avoid making people frustrated/sad/angry…..
They just did it the worst way.

Ascended Armor

jheryn.8390

As same as it is hard to please everyone it is easy to avoid making people frustrated/sad/angry…..

I don’t believe that is true. If they would have done it your way there would be a host of other people who would have been complaining just like you are. So to put it another way, “Someone is always going to be upset at what is done.”

As far as them doing it in the worst way, that is only your opinion. I think the way they did it is great.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Ascended Armor

daros.3407

I don’t believe that is true. If they would have done it your way there would be a host of other people who would have been complaining just like you are. So to put it another way, “Someone is always going to be upset at what is done.”

As far as them doing it in the worst way, that is only your opinion. I think the way they did it is great.

To keep crafting as it is and add more ways how to obtain ascended gear can’t frustrate or angry anyone. People who want to craft will craft and people who want to do it differently will do it differently.
No problem in this.

Ascended Armor

Hjorje.9453

To keep crafting as it is and add more ways how to obtain ascended gear can’t frustrate or angry anyone. People who want to craft will craft and people who want to do it differently will do it differently.
No problem in this.

This I can totally agree with. While there are only two ways in game to get ascended weapons and will be the two ways of getting armor when it is released, I think adding a few other ways to get them wouldn’t be a bad idea. But you have to remember, they didn’t add the other ways right out the gate with the trinkets, so they may have plans in the future.

I have seen ascended weapon boxes come from fractals, temples, and a couple of world bosses. Now I know this isn’t a good way to get them, it is still another way. I think if they add a way to get them with Guild Commendations, Laurals, and Badges of Honor, then I think the complaints about the weapons and armor would stop since it would be more accessible to everyone.

Hjorje

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Zedd.8239

Zedd.8239

1) I’ve created multiple ascended weapons without ever joining a champ train. Doing a variety of dungeon runs will give you more guaranteed gold than champ trains. Use the tokens you earn from dungeons to buy the cheapest exotic weapons you can (foci, torches, warhorns, and shields). Then salvage them for the ectos, crafting materials, dark matter, and inscriptions (in the case of magi’s, shaman’s, rabid, etc.). Sell what you don’t need.

2) The amount of time it takes to actually craft ascended weapons is quite minimal. The largest grind is getting your crafting profession to 500. But even that can be done through casual play. Salvage everything you find that you don’t need and you’ll eventually have plenty of materials to level up your crafting professions.

3) GW2 barely has any gear grind at all compared to WoW. You can buy almost every single piece of gear you could possibly need (stat-wise). Yes, ascended gear takes a bit longer to obtain. But it’s intended to be a long term goal, not something you can obtain in an afternoon.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

I sense that crafting a full set will cost like 600 gold… (200g to level, then 60g a piece and that’s optimistic) I can only hope that I won’t need to grind 3000 pieces of dragonite ore for this, that would be real bad … I’m quite good at farming gold, but this is not promising thus far :-(

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I’m waiting to see what exactly ascended armor will be. If its exactly the same as the codes that was data-mined a while ago or if it will be modified on the 10th.

The codes give us a preview of a ascended armor :
- Without any infusion slot.
- With a total of +36 points of stats for the whole armor sets (this include major and 2 minor stats).
- A look neither bad nor good.

If they stay the same, i have no intention to go for it in the near future. A lot of stuff will come before that. I won’t say i will never craft them, but it won’t be an active objective.

If the 10th update change at least 1 of the three characteristic of the armor (Infusion, Stats, Looks) i will probably look more into it.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Ascended Armor

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

is it confirm that we have to get tailor, leather, armor smith up to 500 to be able to craft ascended armor?

Ascended Armor

Hjorje.9453

Yes @pho. You will need to do the some thing as with the weapons. So if you want heavy, you will need to get armorsmith to 500

Hjorje

Ascended Armor

jheryn.8390

No problem in this.

This I can totally agree with. While there are only two ways in game to get ascended weapons and will be the two ways of getting armor when it is released, I think adding a few other ways to get them wouldn’t be a bad idea. But you have to remember, they didn’t add the other ways right out the gate with the trinkets, so they may have plans in the future.

I have seen ascended weapon boxes come from fractals, temples, and a couple of world bosses. Now I know this isn’t a good way to get them, it is still another way. I think if they add a way to get them with Guild Commendations, Laurals, and Badges of Honor, then I think the complaints about the weapons and armor would stop since it would be more accessible to everyone.

Actually it will make a lot of people angry if they add more ways to get ascended gear.

Certainly they can add more ways to get the gear and then all the people who worked hard and spent a lot of gold to craft their weapons (and soon armor) will be angry that they could have gotten their crafted armor and weapons so much easier and faster. And they will have a right to be angry.

Again, no matter what they do people are going to be angry.

So when they do this, they will not only have made people like daros angry to start out with, but then they risk making those who were fine with it angry later.

As far as ascended trinkets were concerned, you always had to buy them or in one way or another or have them drop in fractals. Crafting them was not an option even though upgrading back pieces in the forge was possible.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Zedd.8239

Zedd.8239

If ascended armor doesn’t have infusion slots or some other benefit that exotic armor doesn’t have, then it won’t be very useful for me. The main reason I’ve obtained ascended items in the first place is for the agony resistance.

Ascended Armor

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I think some people are totally missing the point of the type of goal ascended gear is supposed to provide.

It provides an LONG TERM end game goal related to character progression, infact is the only end game goal that offers direct progression instead of aesthetics. The materials needed to get it encourages play throughout all areas of the game.

The 3 ascended materials for obsidian refinement you can earn doing world bosses, dungeons, fractals, world vrs world, and killing champs/opening chests any where in the open world.

Having max crafting, something that most of use used throughout our leveling process now offers a continuation for end game. They would have a hard time adding it to other areas of the game because crafting acts as a time, effort, and money gate.

Materials of all tiers that would have to be gathered in all areas of open world, in world vrs world, or via gold through your favorite income producing activities. Even salvaged from items.

It is a grind only if you make it a grind, if you must have it ASAP and the only means you find acceptable to obtain that is the fastest most tedious way possible, and that bothers you, that is not the game’s fault, that is your fault. You are in no way forced to grind out gold and materials in a champ farm or any of the popular farms, nor are you gated from any content from not having ascended weapons and armor.

I for one certainly don’t plan on focusing on obtaining my armor in the first week or even the first month, as I am a die hard anti-farm player. Having already done 3 weapons, I know ascended armor will eventually fall in my lap if I just participate in multiple areas of the game, save, and keep doing what I find fun with my guild.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa