Ascended armor - looks.

Ascended armor - looks.

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

There were a ton of threads about ascended armor looks – mostly about how terrible they looked ( which is still the case) – when the codes were first found.

Any update on this ? has anyone heard of more skins?
There’s been a lot of time since that all happened – a lot of the community wanted better looking armor ( since it’s THE hardest armor to get in the game) – but have they actually done anything about that?

TLDR : has it been improved visually? Will it be? do you want it to be?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

It will most likely be the same.

I can see what they were trying to do. Make armors very different from what we see. Light armor not being a robe. Medium not being a trenchcoat.

Medium- Full set looks great on a ranger. Thief it looks ok. Personally for none rangers, I would mix and match it. Has some great mix and match potential.

Heavy- I still think this set looks awesome as is for any class.

Light- More of a mesmer looking armor set, which I’m fine with. I thought we needed more noble type of armors. Again, some great mix and matching potential.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

That’s the biggest hold up for me.

I dont mind the grind to 500 crafting.
I dont mind the grind/gold sink for mats.
I dont mind the time gated materials.

I HATE that I’m forced to by more transmutation stones to keep the look of the gear I spent hundreds of gold already on.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: crosknight.3041

crosknight.3041

some of the armor does look nice with the right dye combo
light armor: KILL IT WITH FIRE, only part i like are the gloves and boots (and i primary an elementalist charr)
medium armor: helmet seems a tad outta place
heavy armor: helmet on a fem charr looks like a crown lol (but destroy’s whatever hair im using) dont really like the shoulders but everything else seems easy to work with

all pics taken with my elementalist charr using preview: colors sed, iron wrath(the red) and dijon (no coloring on head piece)

Attachments:

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

snip

They look even worse on a Charr.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Starry Night.5847

Starry Night.5847

I’m glad they don’t look outstanding. I’m assuming most everyone will eventually get to using ascended armor. This encourages people to replace the look with something different, rather than encouraging everyone to use the same look.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Draugl.8079

Draugl.8079

What makes you think that everyone will habe them?
From the forums i got the impression that there are many that don’t want them for various reasons.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

What makes you think that everyone will habe them?
From the forums i got the impression that there are many that don’t want them for various reasons.

Lol -not surprising …
Official Forum Recipe:

1. Title “X is Kitten Horrible – ANet Fix!”
2. First post: “I actually like X”
3. Second through eighth posts: “Kitten fanboy, you kitten . X sux.”
4. Every fifth post: “I don’t need X, ur whiners, I can solo it.”
5. Following three posts: “Kitten liar. Stop being uber. X is broken, everyone kitten knows that.”
6. Every ten posts and every other post for six posts: “U whiner, L2P.” “No, you, kitten.”
7. Post 48: “Hi, it’s Dev ABC. We didn’t want X to break the meta, especially with the EU servers lagging. While we’re still testing X and may make additional changes, we strongly feel X accomplished what we wanted it to do.” End with usually pretty funny joke (yeah, I’m sucking up now).
8. Following five posts: “Thanks ABC! GW2 rocks! X is perfect! Keep up the great work!”
9. Next three to fifty posts, depending on degree of hatred/love for X: “Sux”. “L2P”
10. Thread is buried by “I Hate Y – Fix This ANet!” threads.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

snip

They look even worse on a Charr.

I disagree; I thought they looked way worse on my Human.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

T

You can see the Medium Ascended armor in on of the screenshots, so no, they most likely have not been improved visually.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

If the most powerful statwise set of armor were the most incredibly beautiful that looked awesome on all races what would happen?
Everyone would look the same.
Would that be good? Not for me, I believe it wouldnt be good for Anet either for various reasons.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: crosknight.3041

crosknight.3041

with a few exceptions, most of it does looks good

defently worth a shot of trying to mix match it with other sets peices

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Heavy: Dyes really cool. Yay!

Medium: NOT A TRENCHCOAT! I REPEAT: NOT A TRENCHCOAT! (Amazing!)

Light: ………..

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: MyCondolences.8172

MyCondolences.8172

I’m just hoping they do different appearances for each main stat. Sort of like what they did with ascended weapons(cept looks not color since you can dye armor).

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Its pretty obvious they didn’t want your grind on ascended gear to eliminate your grind for cultural re-skins.

Cause god kitten that kitten is kitten ugly.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

That’s precisely why I bought some transmutation stones while they were on sale. I like my current look and want to keep it. I’d only keep the original skin if it didn’t look so horrible and glowed like the weapons glow. I love glowy stuff.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Chrisco.5732

Chrisco.5732

I can understand why ascended armor has to have a vastly different look to every other armor set. But yea … its reaaaaallly bad. That being said! I’m shocked it isnt blue or glowing. Well done there anet =)

I’m going to be making 1 set for main, t-stone, never make another. Its gonna be something to do for 2 weeks.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

Armor classes in GW2 seem like an awkward match to me. I mean, what is Light Armor really? Cloth? Not very protective. Guild Wars 2 seems to have placed itself in an awkward niche.

I can understand them wanting a natural leather-look for medium armor, but realistically it isn’t very protective still. Of course, it’s a game, so it doesn’t need to be realistic, only the side effect is it’s trapped in what can be classified each armor class

To me:

• “light armor” would put it in the leather class (or bone, animal skins or scales etc).
  • “medium armor” is scale plating, light steel or some actual protective but restrictive sets
  • “heavy armor” is just that. Big heavy plated chunks of steel that might allow you to take a beating, but just as equally make it insanely hard to swing a sword around.

Whereas GW2 seems to have the light as medium, medium as heavy, and yet more heavy. No light style to separate the look while still indicating it is ARMOR. (my town clothes look more armored that my light armor)

Maybe we could go all funky, and have “glass armor” as a light armor, like the Priory Weapons in PvP. Would synergy well with a Glass Cannon build

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Aliatis.7836

Aliatis.7836

I HATE that I’m forced to by more transmutation stones to keep the look of the gear I spent hundreds of gold already on.

+1

That’s why, imo, skins bought with gems should be usuable again.

Desolation – still [GoD] in the spirit

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Stress.2436

Stress.2436

i really hope they made more skins for the ascendat armor that we already knew if not they will have a lot of rage on the forums after the patch goes live

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

To me:

• “light armor” would put it in the leather class (or bone, animal skins or scales etc).
  • “medium armor” is scale plating, light steel or some actual protective but restrictive sets
  • “heavy armor” is just that. Big heavy plated chunks of steel that might allow you to take a beating, but just as equally make it insanely hard to swing a sword around.

It’s vague for a reason. Some light armor looks like light leather, like Norn Cultural stuff, or thicker padded cloth with possibly some metal elements, like Exotic named. Some light armor’s a bikini. Some medium armor is just padded cloth, others have heavily plated elements like the Temple set.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Wah you one of the luckiest players then. I can’t afford crafting to 500. I can’t afford buying materials. I don’t have tons of time-gated materials. Oh yes, in case you didn’t notice, I’m a WvW player.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

My eyes are bleeding from looking at those armors. Did they make them ugly on purpuse so people would not feel the need to get them asap???

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Wah you one of the luckiest players then. I can’t afford crafting to 500. I can’t afford buying materials. I don’t have tons of time-gated materials. Oh yes, in case you didn’t notice, I’m a WvW player.

I’m primarily a WvW player aside from the occasional fractal that friends drag me along on and I managed to craft 6 ascended weapons so far. Flip camps and keeps. its really not as hard to get that stuff as some people seem to think it is. And if you walk around all the borderlands, you can mine and chop the majority of the crafting materials you need because for some odd reason the ascended stuff requires a lot of low level crafting materials. Just wander by yourself and kill stuff. And pay attention to map chat so you know when your side is flipping something so you can run over and get in on it. you don’t have to follow them around constantly, just pay attention to what they’re doing and get in on it when they flip keeps. That’s really the best advice I can give if you’re like me and don’t have the patience to do events in pve waiting for some boss to spawn.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

some of the armor does look nice with the right dye combo
light armor: KILL IT WITH FIRE, only part i like are the gloves and boots (and i primary an elementalist charr)
medium armor: helmet seems a tad outta place
heavy armor: helmet on a fem charr looks like a crown lol (but destroy’s whatever hair im using) dont really like the shoulders but everything else seems easy to work with

all pics taken with my elementalist charr using preview: colors sed, iron wrath(the red) and dijon (no coloring on head piece)

IDK if it’s just because those are on a Charr.. but man those are hideous….

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Forkada.8376

Forkada.8376

very good sckins….. ultra detalized.

Ascended armor - looks.

Delvoire.8930

I’m primarily a WvW player aside from the occasional fractal that friends drag me along on and I managed to craft 6 ascended weapons so far. Flip camps and keeps. its really not as hard to get that stuff as some people seem to think it is. And if you walk around all the borderlands, you can mine and chop the majority of the crafting materials you need because for some odd reason the ascended stuff requires a lot of low level crafting materials. Just wander by yourself and kill stuff. And pay attention to map chat so you know when your side is flipping something so you can run over and get in on it. you don’t have to follow them around constantly, just pay attention to what they’re doing and get in on it when they flip keeps. That’s really the best advice I can give if you’re like me and don’t have the patience to do events in pve waiting for some boss to spawn.

I would have to agree with this 10 fold. I personally got the last of my mats for my Ascended weapon by playing WvW the last few weeks. Capturing points, killing people, gathering on the maps. There is so many ways to get the mats you need as well as gold in WvW.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I find it hard to give a kitten about the ascended light armor now that PVE Rubric is becoming a reality.

Ascended armor - looks.

Delvoire.8930

What is PVE Rubric?

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: DeTechTive.9251

DeTechTive.9251

What is with this obsession with light armors and the ridiculous masks like you are attending some kitteny ballroom masquerade? Why is the only wizard hat a town clothes item from some random event way back when? I seriously don’t understand when there is so much rich fantasy spellcaster type lore to draw from in Tyria and just in general. I do however like the medium armor look. It’s hard to say much beyond that since I hate the way charr look in most everything beyond a few sets.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Rinbox.2570

Rinbox.2570

What is with this obsession with light armors and the ridiculous masks like you are attending some kitteny ballroom masquerade? Why is the only wizard hat a town clothes item from some random event way back when? I seriously don’t understand when there is so much rich fantasy spellcaster type lore to draw from in Tyria and just in general. I do however like the medium armor look. It’s hard to say much beyond that since I hate the way charr look in most everything beyond a few sets.

I am not a fan of the masks either. I think there are too many as is which limits my choices for light armor helms. I would really like to see something new

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I actually really, really like the Medium armor. It has a pretty unique “militaristic” look to it with a bit of Asian flavor, which is a nice contrast to the usual rogue garb and trenchcoats that make up 90% of medium armor. And I just think it looks nice regardless.

Unfortunately, both my Medium armor wearers are Charr, and as usual they didn’t adjust for the tail, so that sort of ruins an otherwise great set. Its a shame, because Charr being the most militaristic race, it would fit them the best theme-wise.

I’d say the light armor is pretty decent as well, if not for the jester pants. Really, jester pants? They don’t even seem to fit with the rest of the armor, the rest is all semi-ornate and then jester pants out of nowhere. Bleh.

Heavy is meh. Its not really bad, just kind of bland. And not really my style of heavy armor, I prefer full metal as opposed to leather with some metal plates.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

What is PVE Rubric?

Go into the heart of the Mists (crossed swords icon t the top of your screen), find the PvP locker (you may need to do a brief tutorial first) then look at the armor skins. There is one complete set + the full guild armor set in there for each weight class that don’t have PvE equivalents.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: mercenarynox.1695

mercenarynox.1695

If they changed the light armor I would no longer wish to get it. Strange, I know.

Ascended armor - looks.

Delvoire.8930

What is PVE Rubric?

Go into the heart of the Mists (crossed swords icon t the top of your screen), find the PvP locker (you may need to do a brief tutorial first) then look at the armor skins. There is one complete set + the full guild armor set in there for each weight class that don’t have PvE equivalents.

ah ok. So it’s just a look though. I thought maybe it had different stat combo?

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

We were speculating the other day that they made them this ugly on purpose, in order to stimulate more transmutation crystal purchases. :P

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

We were speculating the other day that they made them this ugly on purpose, in order to stimulate more transmutation crystal purchases. :P

Is it still a speculation at this point? :P

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: mcjason.6123

mcjason.6123

Okay, I’ve read over the Code of Conduct, and didn’t see anything regarding the posting of chat codes. Hopefully I’m not breaking any rules here by posting this. If so, I’m sorry!

Here are the chat codes for the skins, to the best of my knowledge…
Now you can try them on your respective race/gender.

Heavy

[&AgE4uwAA][&AgE5uwAA][&AgE6uwAA][&AgE7uwAA][&AgE8uwAA][&AgE9uwAA]

Medium

[&AgFEuwAA][&AgFFuwAA][&AgFGuwAA][&AgFHuwAA][&AgFIuwAA][&AgFJuwAA]

Light

[&AgE+uwAA][&AgE/uwAA][&AgFAuwAA][&AgFBuwAA][&AgFCuwAA][&AgFDuwAA]

(edited by mcjason.6123)

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

I still hate the heavy leggings. It leaves a huge gap beetwen the legs and boots which annoys me and looks silly from behind. (this is on human male, didn’t check on others)
I like the set, though not love it, these little mistakes make it appeal less.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

They really needed to add a Wardrobe or a free transmutation before they release Ascended armor. Making it so it’s essentially necessary (especially with the silly looking armor) to use transmutation stones.. it’s kind of a toolbag move.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: tmakinen.1048

tmakinen.1048

In my not so humble opinion, heavy ascended looks horrible enough on my main (human female) character that I’d rather stick with exotics than be seen running around like that.

However, there is a simple solution that does not require transmutation crystals. There are armor skins available that are either free (HoM and the stuff from achievement chests) or very modestly priced (WvW armor skins bought with badges). While those might not be to everyone’s tastes either, they are still providing much better options than the default skin on ascended armor. Personally, I’ll go Dark all the way.

tmakinen of [SoF]

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

There were a ton of threads about ascended armor looks – mostly about how terrible they looked ( which is still the case) – when the codes were first found.

Any update on this ? has anyone heard of more skins?
There’s been a lot of time since that all happened – a lot of the community wanted better looking armor ( since it’s THE hardest armor to get in the game) – but have they actually done anything about that?

Agree with this – I really hope they change them visually – I think they look really really really bad. The only thing I can think of why this was done was to boost transmutation stone sales.

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Lipstick.3469

Lipstick.3469

They obviously do this to force us to buy more transmutation stones with gems.

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I find it hard to give a kitten about the ascended light armor now that PVE Rubric is becoming a reality.

For the I don’t know how many times I’ve said this again and again : you can find PvE rubric in game. My necro was running around in it while leveling in Fields of Ruins (I threw it away because I didn’t like it).

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Asukai.4507

Asukai.4507

It still looks ugly if they don’t give us more then just one type of Ascended armor those Recipes are doomed

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

I’m glad they don’t look outstanding.

Interesting idea. But for me they all skritt ugly. Matter of opinion probably, but all 3 sets are in respective top 3 of less appealing armor sets in game O_o.

This encourages people to replace the look with something different, rather than encouraging everyone to use the same look.

True. But on the other hand – I feel forced to change it (aka buy transmutations crystal, what isn’t so much of a hassle). because it’s embarrassing to wear one

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Karalaza.6021

Karalaza.6021

It still looks ugly if they don’t give us more then just one type of Ascended armor those Recipes are doomed

The recipes will never be doomed since they will provide you ascended armor which should be the highest tier (hopefully)…
It’s just that ppl hoped for all the time (and gold) invested they’d get some epic looking armor (not forcing to use transmutations)

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I feel very aggravated with this armor situation.

Not only does this armor make all their promises during the initial advertisement of this game look like lip service, but nothing about this armor (aside from the statistical advantage) compels me to get it. It’s intricate, but hideous. I would rather wear my exotics than spend more money to acquire a look I already have, especially for multiple characters.

Edit: typo.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

(edited by Imagi.4561)

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

There’s a very big problem with Ascended armor – it doesn’t look nearly as awesome as I personally had hoped it would look.

I was expecting something of cultural grade quality – something unique and beautiful. I also expected different stat combos to have different looks. That would have been the non-lazy and awesome way to implement them.
A sort of " ok we know people didn’t really want ascended gear but look – we’ve tried to make it great " and it could have worked.

Yes – getting a set with the stats that you want and then getting one for the looks would have been fine IF it would have been that the looks made it worth it. As it stands I’ll build it and just transmute over. Pity.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Ascended armor - looks.

Posted by: Manuelito.6081

Manuelito.6081

The only reason I see to keep this look on is if you do not have gems to buy transmutation crystals.

[ROCK]
Desolation