General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 3

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Anyone wanna join a Raid attempt in EU with me and deSade’s group at last minute?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Wooow, my fl looks ready to raid…. 2 people online…

I’d raid with you if I had HoT :v

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Are they extending the BWE or is it going to be over today? Never got a chance to jump into the raid

Iris Ng.9845

It ends at Noon (PST), today. I tried to grab u last night but u weren’t online.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

The real question is: would you rather have an abandoned forum with no new dungeons/raids/fractals but with a good community or a toxic wasteland resembling of General Discussion but with new raid content?

An abandoned forum with no new blablabla definitely.

Jerus.4350

It ends at Noon (PST), today. I tried to grab u last night but u weren’t online.

Thanks for the effort! yeah I decided to go watch football all day with some buddies, so I didn’t know they had got the raid working. Ohh well, I’ll get to see it sooner or later.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Finally got a chance to fight the boss without disconnects and bugged ui. It does not feel like gw2 boss at all. Where did our cool combat system go? Everything feels way too passive now. It is challenging but not in a way I was hoping :/

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

Finally got a chance to fight the boss without disconnects and bugged ui. It does not feel like gw2 boss at all. Where did our cool combat system go? Everything feels way too passive now. It is challenging but not in a way I was hoping :/

I disagree. I really like the designs. They just need some tweaks to really up the need for other roles. Have the boss raid wide damage tick higher numbers to require another healer, and have the boss auto attacks be a little stronger so the “tank” has to focus on more active defenses instead of just using the a little toughness to hold aggro and then go full on dps.

deSade.9437

I really missed being a babysitter healbot. Not.
Staying the hell away from it for as long as I can.

Iris Ng.9845

Gabe, you don’t have to play druid if you don’t like to. No one’s happy when you’re not happy either

We could make do with blasting water, vampiric aura and passive regen. Tom had swapped to cele the second time specifically for healing and we did great.

deSade.9437

Great, yeah, it’s not like it was still at 50%. I’m glad it’s not doable with a kittenty team because I won’t get stuck being a healer for 3 more years in this game where I thought I could escape passive kite n heal the tank fights so just kitten. It.

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

giving no context can lead to some awesome quotes XD

I have the exp. I paid 100 bucks for it.

Frifox… thanks to you I just found out lordkrall now also frequents the dungeon forum…

Fml

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I disagree. I really like the designs. They just need some tweaks to really up the need for other roles. Have the boss raid wide damage tick higher numbers to require another healer, and have the boss auto attacks be a little stronger so the “tank” has to focus on more active defenses instead of just using the a little toughness to hold aggro and then go full on dps.

Those are not the “roles” he was talking about when he said combat system

Iris Ng.9845

Dear Diary,

Today I realize that my favorite 2 x (PS War, Guard, Staff ele, Chrono, Herald’s) group comp is falling out of meta.

Our team comp was 3 reapers, 2 heralds, 2 druids, 2 chrono’s, one guard.

Our biggest mistake was the reapers. They are still bottom tier DPS and DPS is where we suffered most. We just couldn’t do enough damage to get the boss below 50%.

We made it to phase 2 every attempt, even almost cleared phase 2 once, but our dps was not enough to burst down the individual bosses fast enough. I think in future runs if we make sure we don’t have any necros we should have enough dps to get further. If we swapped out the necros/reapers for sinister engineers I think we probably would have had enough time.

I thought the encounter was sufficiently challenging, with a good mix of mechanics, hp, and situational awareness required. Random PUGS’s won’t clear it, and organized pugs may clear it once the best class comp is known.

I am right when I said that I should wait until raid becomes farm-status.

(edited by Iris Ng.9845)

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Dear Diary,

Today I realize that my favorite 2 x (PS War, Guard, Staff ele, Chrono, Herald’s) group comp is falling out of meta.

Our biggest mistake was the reapers. They are still bottom tier DPS and DPS is where we suffered most. We just couldn’t do enough damage to get the boss below 50%.

We made it to phase 2 every attempt, even almost cleared phase 2 once, but our dps was not enough to burst down the individual bosses fast enough. I think in future runs if we make sure we don’t have any necros we should have enough dps to get further. If we swapped out the necros/reapers for sinister engineers I think we probably would have had enough time.

I thought the encounter was sufficiently challenging, with a good mix of mechanics, hp, and situational awareness required. Random PUGS’s won’t clear it, and organized pugs may clear it once the best class comp is known.

Where did you get that post from? Because I really don’t want that first part to be true. Or was it the setup you guys actually went for?

Iris Ng.9845

Dear Diary,

Where did you get that post from? Because I really don’t want that first part to be true. Or was it the setup you guys actually went for?

From someone who seems experienced in the Raid Boss fight.

Posted by: cerulean moth.2743

cerulean moth.2743

As my guild wants to raid with each other, but each of us is at different levels of skill, it’s going to be very important for us to receive tools from Anet to review DPS and average healing, damage taken, etc during a raid for each user. It’s incredibly hard to determine who is struggling internally when we don’t have the basic tools to accomplish this. The raids are so fun, and looking forward to more!

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Dear Diary,

I see, thanks for telling me.

Welp, I hope they’re not right in regards to Reaper DPS then. I mean Reaper on its own already seems to be a step up in terms of “how can I help my party”, but if the DPS is going to suck…

Jerus.4350

Dear Diary,

I see, thanks for telling me.

Welp, I hope they’re not right in regards to Reaper DPS then. I mean Reaper on its own already seems to be a step up in terms of “how can I help my party”, but if the DPS is going to suck…

I don’t see how reaper would be bottom tear, I was tearing things up in fractals and Arah. The biggest problem with it IMO is that slow attack speed means you an waste a lot at the end of a fight with GD, often better to just into RS/Dagger for the last couple % or on easy trash.

Iris Ng.9845

Reapers are gonna suck less than Staff ele at that fight

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

If the tank minimizes movement, Elementalist can perform very well. Many tanks are running all over the place in the first phase when they don’t need to for example. They also can move more predictably in the second and third phase to make uptime on elementalist damage much higher.

Jerus.4350

Reapers are gonna suck less than Staff ele at that fight

Seems they could be both damage and the damage absorbers no? Again I haven’t done it, and haven’t watched the videos, been busy. Reaper certainly seems solid to me for power damage.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I really hope what you say is right, since I’m probably gonna let myself drag back in due to friends and if I can get money for HoT I’d rather not have to feel like “if I were on another class, I could actually do more stuff for my party”

The skillset gives me some hope though.

Iris Ng.9845

If the tank minimizes movement, Elementalist can perform very well. Many tanks are running all over the place in the first phase when they don’t need to for example. They also can move more predictably in the second and third phase to make uptime on elementalist damage much higher.

Because the auto attack hurts. Seekers hurt. And the friggin blue AoE teleports you away if you don’t dodge it properly. In the later phase, you have to be on your toes quite a bit because of the blue orbs and the laser floor. Getting rooted sucks. Also good luck on not getting aggro.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

That group had other issues with their DPS, I wouldn’t rush to blame the necros: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Raid-Feedback-1/page/3#post5576310

You really can’t just ignore the boss like that during the lightning runs.

Iris Ng.9845

That group had other issues with their DPS, I wouldn’t rush to blame the necros: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Raid-Feedback-1/page/3#post5576310

You really can’t just ignore the boss like that during the lightning runs.

Are you sure his issue isn’t that he didn’t have enough staff ele and PS/EA warrior?

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Reaper should be fine as long as they arent forced to do kite duty or run to the lightning spots. Because for reaper to actually do damage they need to stick on the target with very little interruption. But if they can do that (so a good group) then the damage should be pretty significant. Also brings the possibility of lifesteal bursting red.

Jerus.4350

Reaper should be fine as long as they arent forced to do kite duty or run to the lightning spots. Because for reaper to actually do damage they need to stick on the target with very little interruption. But if they can do that (so a good group) then the damage should be pretty significant. Also brings the possibility of lifesteal bursting red.

Necro may not be bad though honestly. Good durability, while sub par damage, that’s on paper, it’s far easier to reach a necro’s potential DS dps than it is for many other professions, especially if you want a ranged option.

I really don’t think necros should be looked down on, maybe not optimal, but to me seems like they could work fine.

I’ll say this though… why can’t we use the new weapons outside that traitset I want DS and GS!

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

Yeah, Reaper was doing pretty OK for me as well, although Gravedigger still feels a bit too clunky for my tastes. It is really annoying if you miss with it because the boss moves away from you or when you have to cancel it to dodge a displacement field.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Oh and how’s it looking for them in Dungeons/Fractals? Not sure if you were able to play those during the BWE, but do they fare any better now?

Quickfoot Katana.8642

As my guild wants to raid with each other, but each of us is at different levels of skill, it’s going to be very important for us to receive tools from Anet to review DPS and average healing, damage taken, etc during a raid for each user. It’s incredibly hard to determine who is struggling internally when we don’t have the basic tools to accomplish this. The raids are so fun, and looking forward to more!

You’re not going to receive those tools from Anet.

But you can get them yourself. wink

Posted by: juniterio.1245

juniterio.1245

After fighting the Vale Guardian all I want is fractals being basically 5 man shorter versions of raids. So instead of having 5 people jumping into the circle AoE you’d need two. Side mechanics during boss fights is something fractals lack and it troubles me a lot because of how much I love those. They make your zergish stackparty split and fill different roles, eventually ending up in a glorious team coordinated success.

I’m okay with You abandoning dungeons, but please, for love of god, make fractals a glorious evolution of them that is just as cool as the raids you’ve made!

(edited by juniterio.1245)

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Youre not getting new fractals with HoT

Jerus.4350

Oh and how’s it looking for them in Dungeons/Fractals? Not sure if you were able to play those during the BWE, but do they fare any better now?

Perfectly fine, with CPC destroying projectiles as well as RS2 you can actually get a lot out of that. Then just the massive increase in damage is pretty sweet. It’s no Rev, no Chrono, but it’s still solid and I would never complain about one. Obvoiusly Soul Reaping is preferred but it’s not really required, messed around with dropping it for Blood Magic and it was ok, I prefer the Soul Reaping option but being able to grab the support stuff is nice. You lose Vuln and damage doing so as well as some QoL shroud things.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

i as super stoked about the poison cloud changes,
I moved this weekend so i missed the play time and i dont have a stable connection currently. (miku i know your pain. its terrible)

Soon as i can solidify connection i am gonna see about that solo. been trying for longer than i care to admit to…

Yeah it’s horrible when you can’t play due to lag. Thankfully 90% of my internet-related problems are gone these days, due to a combination of both not having to deal with wireless anymore and more importantly not getting routed through level3.net.

Meanwhile, my friend is suffering with CenturyLink and often gets stuck with like 1 Mb/sec down and 0.3 up… poor him ;_;

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Jerus.4350

Miku what did you do to transfer them to me?

Been sitting at 2-3mb download the last few days, 3 is playable, 2 is not so much, or at least very unpleasant.

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Purple Miku.7032

You mean you’re stuck being routed through level3.net? They kitten something up on the way to the servers in germany really badly for me, and it’s been this way for months. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re causing problems for people trying to play on NA servers as well. There’s unfortunately nothing you can do besides either moving to a different state, try changing the way you’re hooked up to your modem/router, or use a VPN.

However if you’re stuck with way way lower download and upload speeds than what you’re being promised from your ISP, that indicates there’s either a problem with your modem or your ISP is being stupid. Try calling them and asking for a technician if you’re not sure where to begin determining what the cause is.

Jerus.4350

You mean you’re stuck being routed through level3.net? They kitten something up on the way to the servers in germany really badly for me, and it’s been this way for months. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re causing problems for people trying to play on NA servers as well. There’s unfortunately nothing you can do besides either moving to a different state, try changing the way you’re hooked up to your modem/router, or use a VPN.

However if you’re stuck with way way lower download and upload speeds than what you’re being promised from your ISP, that indicates there’s either a problem with your modem or your ISP is being stupid. Try calling them and asking for a technician if you’re not sure where to begin determining what the cause is.

Naw I just run off wifi and it sucks

Purple Miku.7032

Well you should do yourself a favor and order the longest ethernet cable that you need. They don’t cost that much and I can guarantee you it’s worth it. That’s actually how I’m being routed through telia instead. For some reason when I’m hooked up directly to my modem rather than the router that’s hooked up to the modem, it changes the path my connection takes to the ncsoft servers.

Take my word for it that it’s worth it. The stability of a wireless connection is too fragile.

Jerus.4350

Yeah I was actually looking into that, everyone I asked advised upgrading the router instead saying that long of a cord would still lose a ton… but it’s gotten ridiculous. Once I have time I might just convince them to let me put the modem in my room.

Purple Miku.7032

Nah, even if your ethernet cable was like 200 ft long it’d still be fine.

Trust me I wouldn’t be so persistent about this if I wasn’t 100% sure you would notice an immense difference. Just make sure that if you decide to go this route as well, you ensure that every single other person in the future that you find has trouble with lag you do them the favor of making sure it gets through their head that wireless is trash.

I really can’t believe I was so stubborn about it for so long tbh. My ISP wouldn’t give us a different modem for free that has multiple ethernet ports the first two times that I asked and gave some stupid excuse like “sorry we can’t guarantee what kind of modem the technician will end up with, they’ll just use whatever is in their vehicle” and I didn’t want to pay for a new modem. This meant that for many months I had to sacrifice the whole home not having wifi if I wanted to connect my laptop via ethernet.

Looking back on it now, I’m an idiot for not saying “kitten it I’ll just buy a new modem myself.” -_-

In the end they finally gave us one with 4 ports for free, but paying like $100 to not suffer for over half a year with what I did… would have been a worthwhile investment.

Jerus.4350

The other people in the house just browse the internet now and then, mainly e-mail. Nothing they’d have to worry about connection speed really. So I think I could get it done, I just haven’t asked. It was ok for a while, but now… not so much. Half sec-1s delay on everything with spikes of worse

Pretty sure it’s just cause it’s an old house lots of crap in the walls blocking signal probably.

Iris Ng.9845

Anyone else want to pitch in? This weekend has been a blast to me, so I think it’s a good time to send my appreciation directly to you-know-who!

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Crystal is probably reading through the forums like, wow, all these raiders and it was too easy, let me fix that.

“Due to player concerns of the difficulty of raids lacking we will be implementing some updates to satisfy all of our players.

1. Each coloured mini boss will be now wielding eternity.
2. Because of the duality of raids(night/day but they cancel out for sigil purposes) the particle effects from both dusk and sunrise will be showing simultaneously.
3. Because buffs stack multiplicatively, you end up with 4x the total particle effects.
4. After the boss merges into a single form, he will wield eternity as well with the total power of all the mini guardians, thereby receiving all of the particle effects on a single weapon, but he will also be holding 2 eternities to make the boss truly have that ‘Ah kitten, this is going to hurt’ look.
5. Because there are 10 players in a raid, the particle effects will be a stacking buff according to nearby players.

We feel that this 24000% increase in difficulty will give our veteran players the challenge that they are seeking. Good luck and remember, even if you can’t beat the boss, at least you got to be touched by it’s magnificence."

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I didn’t get to try out the raid due to real life keeping me busy, but I’ve been wondering about this. Raiding in other MMOs I used to play main healer or main tank exclusively, and it took a while adjusting to caring about my damage when I started to spend most of my play time in GW2.

These days though, I find that going back to being pure healer/tank/babysitter doesn’t appeal to me at all, as I’ve come to love the fact that all of my characters are hybrid damage/support. Is the need for healer and tank roles in the new raid really that specific, or is it really a matter of group composition and strategy and has a good chance of ending with more fluid/hybrid roles again?

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I didn’t get to try out the raid due to real life keeping me busy, but I’ve been wondering about this. Raiding in other MMOs I used to play main healer or main tank exclusively, and it took a while adjusting to caring about my damage when I started to spend most of my play time in GW2.

These days though, I find that going back to being pure healer/tank/babysitter doesn’t appeal to me at all, as I’ve come to love the fact that all of my characters are hybrid damage/support. Is the need for healer and tank roles in the new raid really that specific, or is it really a matter of group composition and strategy and has a good chance of ending with more fluid/hybrid roles again?

I found having a pure healing druid to be very beneficial and is probably the reason we were able to kill it so smoothly (not a single downed state and 1:10 left).

However, being a pure healing druid in gw2 is miles away from regular healer in mmo, it looked extremely engaging and active, our healer found it to be very entertaining.

Iris Ng.9845

I played a cele Druid in Grawl Shaman fractal. Aside from the Ventari tablet of my friend and my staff 5, we didn’t have any other projectile defense. I found Druid’s Healing and Dazing spam is very engaging. Your positioning and your attention to your group’s liveliness are required to use your Healing power effectively. You can burst heal for quite a lot, but others also have their own heal and active defense, so you don’t have to spend all the time looking at others’ character and just feed them with your heal. You are able to do your own attacking and crowd controlling as well. Not to forget the new pets do very good damage, and it’s very easy for a Druid to keep their pets alive 100% of the time.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Is there a way besides Silverwastes to get Sinister insignia/inscription recipes?

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Yeah I was actually looking into that, everyone I asked advised upgrading the router instead saying that long of a cord would still lose a ton… but it’s gotten ridiculous. Once I have time I might just convince them to let me put the modem in my room.

Just get some ethernet powerline adaptors if you dont want a long kitten ethernet cable. They are like £30 for a pair. If you get 2 pairs you can hook 3 computers up to the modem instead of 1.

They do restrict your line speed a bit. But they are perfectly stable and really good if you dont have a ridiculous download speed. I have some that can do 1000Mbps. Which is more than enough for most people.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Jerus.4350

Just get some ethernet powerline adaptors if you dont want a long kitten ethernet cable. They are like £30 for a pair. If you get 2 pairs you can hook 3 computers up to the modem instead of 1.

They do restrict your line speed a bit. But they are perfectly stable and really good if you dont have a ridiculous download speed. I have some that can do 1000Mbps. Which is more than enough for most people.

Got a router, problem is it’d have to string around the house (or through the attic). Will be looking into that if I can’t get the modem in my room though, it’s just gotten beyond bad.