General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 3

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Sooo since they are shifting gold rewards from dungeons to fractals and raids… does that mean that fractals will now reward 5-10 silver per “island”?

ftfy

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

new legendaries look like poop. I guess i will just burn my money on more perma contracts for my alts.

I like that the legendary axe reuses a texture from LA… which was also reused for druid.

Attachments:

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

All the elitists, all the meta tryhards, and also all of the decent folk who just enjoyed running and teaching dungeons.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

With the nerf to dungeon gold farming, all the meta tryhards will be slightly disincentivized and all the decent folk who enjoyed running and teaching dungeons will receive more noticeable acknowledgement.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: ViciousFire.9137

ViciousFire.9137

With the nerf to dungeon gold farming, all the meta tryhards will be slightly disincentivized and all the decent folk who enjoyed running and teaching dungeons will receive more noticeable acknowledgement.

Yes!

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Next step:

Guild Wars 2 > Forums > Game Discussion > Fractals & Raids

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Look at Smith’s responses to that thread. The noob lowest common denominator illiterates have won.

Iris Ng.9845

Also, this is a good time to partake in the discussion with John Smith himself, instead of swallowing our own pity about the incoming dungeon gold cut.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ogusa/the_guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_economy/cvx7bhb

Maybe, there may be other better reasons to the decision of nerfing the dungeon rewards than just ANet being an evil company (which people never feel tired of condemning) and sneakily attempting to remove Dungeons from the game.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

Iris Ng.9845

Next step:

You know what is the better prediction?

[Noob] has new Raid Mentors.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Also, this is a good time to partake in the discussion with John Smith himself, instead of swallowing our own pity about the incoming dungeon gold cut.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ogusa/the_guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_economy/cvx7bhb

Maybe, there may be other better reasons to the decision of nerfing the dungeon rewards than just ANet being an evil company (which people never feel tired of condemning) and sneakily attempting to remove Dungeons from the game.

I’ve read his comments there. I’ve chatted with him in the game.

We’re in strong disagreement and I don’t think we’ll ever see eye to eye.

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

Guys, anyone ever got unique items from dungeons? Can’t believe what BS that is.

Haven’t you ever gotten a recipe drop

Got all of ’em.

toxic since 2012

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Next step:

Im not sure if I follow what you mean

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I have to say this particular comment made my day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ogusa/the_guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_economy/cvxc78g

(recommend clicking parent a few times to get the full context)

Iris Ng.9845

Next step:

Focus on the better possibility than going backward to depravity. I’m assuming you are no longer playing the game by the past negative comments you have brought in the discussion. I hold nothing against your opinions, just to point out they contribute nothing but to build up another pity train that drives people out of this subforum.

Posted by: Cheezy.2039

Cheezy.2039

I actually had a better experience with this comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ogusa/the_guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_economy/cvxc7jf

I don’t really care about tours, because I did them often enough but it was nice to be rewarded for doing one once in a while. On the other hand all the new stuff is so heavily restricted in their rewards, I don’t know what ANet actually wants me to do except open world zerging.
It’s nice that they focus on raids, but you can do them only once a week and they won’t be available at launch. It’s nice that they want to focus on fractals, but you can only do 3 reward tiers daily, one of them being scale 10 or less (aka almost as boring as open world PvE).

Give me something to do when I have a day off, god kitten it

Cheezy – Vis Invicta [vC]

The meta is changing at an alarming rate.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Next step:

Focus on the better possibility than going backward to depravity. I’m assuming you are no longer playing the game by the past negative comments you have brought in the discussion. I hold nothing against your opinions, just to point out they contribute nothing but to build up another pity train that drives people out of this subforum.

So I did understood what you meant after all, just didnt actually thought you would be the type of person to say that kind of thing.

That is perfectly okay and I accept your decision wholeheartedly with no hard feelings. It makes no sense to keep me as mentor is there?

No one is driving anyone out of this subforum, Iris. This subforum is growing in popularity and activity.

Iris Ng.9845

I actually had a better experience with this comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ogusa/the_guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_economy/cvxc7jf

I don’t really care about tours, because I did them often enough but it was nice to be rewarded for doing one once in a while. On the other hand all the new stuff is so heavily restricted in their rewards, I don’t know what ANet actually wants me to do except open world zerging.
It’s nice that they focus on raids, but you can do them only once a week and they won’t be available at launch. It’s nice that they want to focus on fractals, but you can only do 3 reward tiers daily, one of them being scale 10 or less (aka almost as boring as open world PvE).

Give me something to do when I have a day off, god kitten it

My crystal ball said “Selling new fractal (daily) is gonna be a thing!”

Posted by: Elomite.2396

Elomite.2396

How can people defend this, the loot system is so watered down and terrible. Dungeons were one of the few currency rewards in the game, now this update is to try and deter people from doing dungeons and instead move them to other areas of the game, I think it’s hilarious because the reason I solo or lowman a dungeon is a completely different reason to why I would ever even consider doing open world content.

Most open world stuff is comparable to those mobile games, like cookie clicker, press f to get loot. It’s sad what this has come to, the economy team has one salty dev that considers killing of one area of the game because of a meta he doesn’t like as a positive and suddenly this update comes around. Weekly timegate raid boys and 1 fractal island a day what a great kittening endgame. New legendaries look garbage, reskinned gold fractal weapons look garbage, no new fractals, no reason to run dungeons anymore, no pvp solo queue announced, no hardmode dungeons, remind me again why would anyone buy this bullkitten?

Elomite.2396

Why would anyone sell fractals when they reduce the amount of content by 75% even the kittenters that buy dungeons and fractals will be able to finish at least one fractal island a day. Maybe

Oh who am I kidding anet probably won’t even fix mossman underwater so those bads will run swamp on repeat

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

I am so excited that map rewards are finally being buffed, and dungeons nerfed. It was so ridiculous that good dedicated groups could earn money in dungeons instead of chest farming sw.

Iris Ng.9845

Next step:

So I did understood what you meant after all, just didnt actually thought you would be the type of person to say that kind of thing.

That is perfectly okay and I accept your decision wholeheartedly with no hard feelings. It makes no sense to keep me as mentor is there?

No one is driving anyone out of this subforum, Iris. This subforum is growing in popularity and activity.

I have a doubt that we are understanding each other.

What I’m trying to say that Dungeons will stay. New players will still need guidance. People will move on to the more hardcore content and be more proficient at it that Raid Mentors may be a frequent term in the future. Then nobody would ever pay attention to Dungeons which are more or less then training stage than the core farming point. A cut in gold doesn’t mean Dungeon removal.

I have seen more people talking in this subforum, but less with cool heads and good vibes. We have managed to improve the atmosphere a bit with dlonie’s initiative to Welcome the Raid Team. But now we’re back to pitchfork and riots against Anet decisions without being rational at all. A cut in dungeon rewards is meant to balance the economy, neither to remove Dungeons from the instanced content nor antagonize the dungeon running community.

Last but not least, I hardly have any say in the new mentor guild.

Elomite.2396

is any chestfarm guilds recruiting pls i ned someone to show me the ropes
?

Elomite.2396

I’m not sure whether john smith’s reddit account is a really elaborate troll or a legitimate employee at anet either way im crying while laughing histerically there’s no way that a developer can be this out of touch with his product

Posted by: notabot.3497

notabot.3497

You know what is even more boring than running easy dungeon paths for gold? following the zerg in SW. I can stand like 5 minutes of that insanely easy and dumb content before i have to log off out of disgust. I hold little hope in the new zones after the beta weekends too, its just more of the same map zerging content, very little challenge, and as things get figured out will be even more trivial than running CoF. TBH, i wouldn’t have put my preorder in if they had lead with the news that has been coming out recently.

Elomite.2396

can’t you refund your terrible decision guy?^

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Next step:

What I’m trying to say that Dungeons will stay. New players will still need guidance. People will move on to the more hardcore content and be more proficient at it that Raid Mentors may be a frequent term in the future. Then nobody would ever pay attention to Dungeons which are more or less then training stage than the core farming point. A cut in gold doesn’t mean Dungeon removal.

I have seen more people talking in this subforum, but less with cool heads and good vibes. We have managed to improve the atmosphere a bit with dlonie’s initiative to Welcome the Raid Team. But now we’re back to pitchfork and riots against Anet decisions without being rational at all. A cut in dungeon rewards is meant to balance the economy, neither to remove Dungeons from the instanced content nor antagonize the dungeon running community.

Out of all the rage comments I thought mine was likely the most soft of them all with a sarcastic tone

Iris Ng.9845

Next step:

Out of all the rage comments I thought mine was likely the most soft of them all with a sarcastic tone

Come one, come all. Don’t become a part of them.

Elomite.2396

Isn’t having only positive things to say just as bad as rage comments Iris has been incredibly positive about this and has nothing bad to say about a obviously terrible decision while I admire her optimism, reading john smiths posts on reddit makes me question whether I want to login ever again.

I think this is a terrible update because the dungeon community was already small, it’s incredibly hard to find good players outside of organized guilds, killing any motive to do the content was completely unnecessary other than the obvious manipulative benefits of getting those players to spread to other areas of there game that is continually being developed

OH AND BUY OUR EXPANSION

(edited by Elomite.2396)

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Honestly I think Anet was just scared of the F2Players farming Dungeons over and over

I hope SW chestfarm is not going to be the most profitable activity in this game. At the moment it is, unfortunately

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

What to do, what to do ?
Halp pleaaaase!

toxic since 2012

dlonie.6547

New dungeons confirmed.

Iris Ng.9845

New dungeons confirmed.

WHERE?

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Next step:

I’m not sure if this is going to happen as raids are designed for people who are already very good at the game and require premade teams with TS.
I don’t see anyone completing raids with newbies or semi-hardcore players. People who want to learn raids should already be capable of soloing dungeon content, aware of the game and combat mechanics and all they would need is a written guide just to know all attacks of the bosses – not necessarily a mentor showing how to do certain moves or rotations in practice.
[Noob] is aimed for people who want to get good enough to be accepted in high-end pve guilds – I think it’s their job to help a new guild member with understanding the raid mechanics (as it’s all the person should need at this time instead of a mentor running close and correcting his/her basic mistakes). Besides it would need a 10-man premade team and it’s not really possible with [Noob] format. What could be possible is an advanced theory mentorship or a link to written raid guides in the reference material section.

dlonie.6547

New dungeons confirmed.

WHERE?

:P

I’m honestly amazed that they didn’t think to post the new reward schedule with the announcement. Of course people are going to hear that and assume the worst. It’s like they’re trying to tease it or something….

Hyping even bad news, lol.

It is pretty upsetting that they’re trying to sweep them under the carpet instead of even fixing the bugs.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

What I find more upsetting is that in 2 blogpost they simply said “Dungeons shouldn’t grant players too much gold so we nerf the income of dungeon path and we have no plan for underwater combat so we are even not planning new underwater legendary weapon” after spending month saying “it is not our priority but be sure that if we wanted to discontinue our development in those areas you’ll be the first to hear about it”.

It is just that they could have clearly say it and their reasoning before dropping it at the bottom line of a blogpost…. but well it is not the right place to talk about Anet’s communication, right?

Posted by: Acotje.5689

Acotje.5689

They fixed partical effects spam in Dungeons by making it a desolate wasteland :^)

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Am I the only one that doesn’t give a kitten because I’m burnt out anyway and I just do a couple of fractals before logging off?

Posted by: Iozeph.5617

Iozeph.5617

Elomite.2396

How can people defend this, the loot system is so watered down and terrible. Dungeons were one of the few currency rewards in the game, now this update is to try and deter people from doing dungeons and instead move them to other areas of the game, I think it’s hilarious because the reason I solo or lowman a dungeon is a completely different reason to why I would ever even consider doing open world content.

Most open world stuff is comparable to those mobile games, like cookie clicker, press f to get loot. It’s sad what this has come to, the economy team has one salty dev that considers killing of one area of the game because of a meta he doesn’t like as a positive and suddenly this update comes around. Weekly timegate raid boys and 1 fractal island a day what a great kittening endgame. New legendaries look garbage, reskinned gold fractal weapons look garbage, no new fractals, no reason to run dungeons anymore, no pvp solo queue announced, no hardmode dungeons, remind me again why would anyone buy this bullkitten?

It begs why they don’t just put a sign on their front page saying, ‘QUIT PLAYING! WE DON’T WANT YOUR MONEY!’

The lore of this game is spotty at best. Living story is utterly throw away. The Silverwastes and Drytop zones were, for my guild, not engaging. And fractals were rife with jumping puzzles which quicly grew wearing and in which we had no interest in. World versus world was mildly entertaining til it became evident it was less a matter of skill and tactics and more a matter of what server we picked when we began(population being the penultimate factor in overall realm success -still) The personal story was something I personally did once and wouldn’t do again, even with it branching. Raids, many of us had done in warcraft, ad nauseam. So that left dungeons.

Dungeoning was something fun and still relatively social for a small guild – read: three to five on any given night, of old friends from other games- with occasional pugging for an hour or so every other day and a bit more on weekends. Now? Why? Why bother with Guild Wars two? Why bother paying, even for the lowest tier package of HoT, for contents we won’t be interested in- for one of several elite specialisations we now know we won’t be running in dungeons?

We’ve spent money on skins, toys, bag slots, vault slots, instruments, you name it and done this through your gem store whilst still adhering to our chosen style of play. Now you want to disincentivise that style of play when we’d have been more than happy to keep playing and spending in your store for new cosmetics, etc, enjoying new classes, and masteries well into the future playing how and where we’d wished.

One gold or so per dungeon run(once daily) isn’t enough to break your economy. Not when you alone control and manipulate the gold to gem conversions as you see fit and are nowhere near transparent about it. I’d wager the majority of your gem store purchases come through RMT. But now you’re going to throw the money from a rather broad segment of your player base away?

What then? Does our money count for less? Doesn’t it spend as readily? Are you that flush, Anet, that you don’t have corporate masters breathing down your necks to squeeze every last bit of profitability out of this title?

We’ve made feed-me items, princess, star, hourglass, mawdry etc. We’ve constructed/aquired ascended armours, jewelrys, and weapons. We’ve delved into fractals – but only enough to achieve those goals and then just as quickly got out when we no longer needed to run them. Why? They’re not fun. They’re no only not fun but they don;t even have the narrative of the dungeons to keep them interesting and firmly rooted in your game setting.

Yet for some reasoning you lot have reckoned that the solution to all life’s problems is to shove a play mode down the throats of players who’ve had ample time and opportunity to sample fractals and then in turn expect them to suddenly embrace them. You’re ignorant and on top of that extremely shortsighted if you believe that sort of coercion will work.

You say you want money. You say you want new blood/players. Dungeons were toxic enough for new players a year ago. They’re toxic now for the uninitiated. And who shows new players the ropes? The more forgiving casual evening dungeoners. So take that toxicity and multiply it several fold for fractals. Yet have a community of dungeoners that won;t be interested in them and consequently won’t bother helping newer players with them.

Yet this is what you’re showcasing to the small guild/group player base? This is what they have to look forward to- or backward to?

Recall your manifestos? Recall your MMO migration? As it stands -or as it stood- the draw for guild wars two over the games we’d come from, warcraft, lotro, daoc, eq, etc. was an environment where we could still enjoy ourselves within at least something of a casual atmosphere whilst at the same time not feeling as though we were being disadvantaged for enjoying one or two out of the many other flavours of play.

Yet if the design philosophy of Anet, going forward, is near enough to the venues where we’d come from -as restrictive, unresponsive, ignorant, and disrespectful of community wants as to make little or no differings, then ask yourselves why- why we simply wouldn’t go back to where we’d come from? All those games are still active.

In them we have end level characters, crafting materials, player housing, communities, and contents with at least a better and more cohesive narrative -never minding the aforementioned shortcomings- than what you have on offer.

What’s more, in the end, it’s cheaper and more comfortable to be ignored in the hell we know(and to a certain extent love more -Hello Tolkien fans) than to spend for a buggy, incomplete, hell we don’t, and in which developers are now actively -in so many words- telling us we’re going to hate before it even arrives.

Go ahead, and make the decision even easier for those who haven’t yet committed to Heart of Thorns to give it a miss.

Posted by: Myst.9182

Myst.9182

Dungeons

So disappointed with Anets attitude towards small group instanced adventures.

I don’t want Fractals (mini-dungeons) and Raids (dungeons where you are forced to find more players than you want to take) to be the sole focus!

So much can be done with dungeons that can make them fun and different every single time you play. Anet misses out on attracting the average MMO player because they refuse to do 5man content properly.

Explorable Dungeons

Explorable Dungeons should be 5 man raid quality instances where your team can travel where ever they like in an instanced area to do things.

Think Blackrock from World of Warcraft. That was a massive area that had about 12 different bosses, and tonnes of different ways and shortcuts to reach ceratain areas and bosses. There should be a billion in-game reasons that lead you back to dungeons all the time, each encouraging you to play the dungeon in a different way.

Now that Anet is learning to make real boss fights that require co-ordination, this should naturally flow down to other areas of the game AND ITS NOT!

I dont want to ZERG grind living story (BORING! STOP WITH BORING BLOBBY GRINDS!) I don’t want to have to organise raids and search for people to join my raid just to play the game! It can be really hard work organising people and raids! Especially for those of us who are introverts and dont want to spend hours gear checking and trait checking random people!

I just want to play

I just want to play with my friends in an area that uninterupted by others, requires some skill to complete, allows us to explore and make choices, see the consequencs of our choices as well as reward us for the time and effort we spend there. That is what dungeons are supposed to be.

Fractals are mini dungeons, thats nice BUT does not cater to those of us still waiting for that immeresive experience that Anet promised at the begining of the game. Agony resistance is a STUPID mechanic too but thats another post…

Dungeons should be the prime middle ground for PvE

Dungeons should be the bread and butter of any MMO. Not piddly fractals… and certainly not map-blobby quest chains!

Seriously what is happening with the leadership in this company!? It’s like they don’t even know the market and don’t care about making a good game. I often stop myself buying gems for this game because I just don’t see the quality in the game, that should be there by now.

Dont bail out Anet! Spend the money, make the game better, stop looking for such cheap shortcuts. (Dropping Dungeons is a very cheap shortcut) Give me real reason to support you!

TL;DR

- Fractals are mini dungeons. (Nice but not deep enough)
- Raids take too much effort to organise.
- New maps are blobbly quest chains – who cares…
- Dungeons should be explorable areas that are challenging, repeatable, explorable, small group friendly, rewarding, dynamic and impactful on your character’s specific journey.
- Dungeons should be the bread and butter of the PvE game content.

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Can’t wait for this thread to be a eulogy instead in 10 days time. Who wants to start the honours?

Rip most enjoyable content, time go faceroll open world for gold/h than dungeons are already!

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Something a dev, John Smith just stated on the forums.

Q.
why are you nerfing the income of players who prefer your old content over your new content? I for one don’t care much for raids but really enjoy dungeons..

A.
We don’t intend to nerf income, just shift where most players derive their income. You won’t be forced into raids in order to earn value though.

Players who enjoy playing dungeons will have either lower income or will have to play content they do not enjoy as much in order to maintain their existing level of income.

The only way you can accurately claim that you did not intend to nerf their income is to state that you intended to reduce their enjoyment of the game instead.

Edit for clarification: I did not mean you personally, but rather the collective of those who made the decision.

This is called false dilemma. I think you should probably restate this.

Is the intention to deincentivize dungeons

Is the intention to reduce targeted liquid gold earning, or are you putting that liquid somewhere else thats targetable?

What type of instanced content do you see offering marketable rewards that players can take part in on a regular basis?

do you see players seeking to earn main methods being through open world and tp trading

Is the intention to deincentivize dungeons
Yes

Is the intention to reduce targeted liquid gold earning, or are you putting that liquid somewhere else thats targetable?
The intention is not entirely to reduce liquid gold earning, we’ll be using up the slack we generate in other locations

What type of instanced content do you see offering marketable rewards that players can take part in on a regular basis?
Fractals

do you see players seeking to earn main methods being through open world and tp trading
I don’t understand this one

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Well, I guess there goes my chance of ever getting my dungeoneer collections done …

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Well, I guess there goes my chance of ever getting my dungeoneer collections done …

You can always pvp. :^)

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Still waiting for the fractal reward track where you get fractal skins thrown after you :^)

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Still waiting for the fractal reward track where you get fractal skins thrown after you :^)

Haha… it still baffles me as to why pvpers have to be catered to with a silver platter by giving them dungeon rewards, and for some strange reason, tomes of knowledge when you can pvp at any level.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

not to long ago…

I had to close my restaurant.
several years of blood sweat and tears. My first marriage ended with the beginning of my career. That place costed me my second. Along with my home, and many friends.

If I could go back, I would not change a thing.

I still cook for a living, and still love what i do.

I Have spent a lot of time here listening to all of you. those of us that have been here for awhile. And it makes me happy to see the new and awesome stuff you are all doing. And the community that the dungeons have created for those of us.

Its a sad thing, but so was closing my doors for the last time. except now i get to open a new one. and all of us are faced with new challenges. and new things to create and do.

have some faith you all.

see you in game.

Attachments:

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

Haha… it still baffles me as to why pvpers have to be catered to with a silver platter by giving them dungeon rewards, and for some strange reason, tomes of knowledge when you can pvp at any level.

Because PvP was dead for a long time, and the only way they could get people to go back to it was by massively overincentivizing it.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I get that people are upset but why do people have to clutter this forum with their own topics? Everyone thinks their opinion is so super important that it deserves its own topic?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I’m lousy at pvp, and solo pvp is far worse than pugging dungeons. Anyway, at my current rate of one weapon box every other week from pvp it’ll be ages before I get anywhere, despite the fact that I’m only missing 2-5 weapons from 6 of the 8 dungeon collections …

Well, I guess it’s high time for a pity party, with guildies acting weird, real life down the drain, this kind of fits in …

Its a sad thing, but so was closing my doors for the last time. except now i get to open a new one. and all of us are faced with new challenges. and new things to create and do.

have some faith you all.

see you in game.

I guess you’re right … let’s hope I’ll see it like that tomorrow. Good luck to you!