Giganticus Lupicus needs a buff.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

In Phase One, Lupicus does an amazingly obvious animation wherein he leans over and spews out 2 locust swarms and at a player’s feet, a grub. Because of this, it’s way to simple form up in a ball or what I affectionately call the ‘bot formation’ and focus the grubs as they spawn. There’s two possible improvements I’d like to see: 1. make the locust swarms deal more damage to discourage balling and 2. make the grubs spawn at a random location and/or more should spawn but at reduced health.

At ~75% health he leans back and goes invincible to transition, I think the delay in transition is fine if the above changes but currently it makes it way too obvious and gives players too much time to spread out.

In Phase Two, I’d like to see adds being spawned, Lupicus is just like a mobile Dark Behemoth, minus any adds. Maybe this time not locusts but something that has pulls to force players to expend more dodge and require more co-ordinations from sharing projectile reflections and blocks, or those that root/applies weakness the players to prevent dodging to force condition removal sharing.

Phase Three Lupicus is super easy since he just focuses one target and chases but leave them when they are downed to chase another target so people can effectively just juggle aggro so it’s even easier than Phase two! understandably since he’s so weak it should be somewhat easy but I’d like his aoe life steal to be more like that of Shiro Tagachi’s Meditation of the Reaper; a shield that blocks maybe 10k damage and absorbs all projectiles, lasting 20 seconds and steals 1000 health for each second shield was up, with the aoe range of the entire room (door should be closed to avoid running out). This should force some players to have to go into melee range to deal enough damage and reduce the ranged-fest that this whole fight is.

Basically, just make this boss solvable by dynamically switching between bot-formation and spreading out rather than just a one-time transition which just solves the boss too easily.

On a side-note, also make the other bosses harder e.g. Serpent Ladies’ taunt lasts way too long before she does dagger storm (when she throws/shoots lightning orbs) giving you way too much time to hide behind the hay bales and she takes way too long to do her massive aoe damage shot after pulling, I stood in it for fun to make sure she did use it and the damage is fine, I think it’s more of a bug that she takes so long to chain it. You need to check that out. She’s like an easier Lt. Kohler and with it being Arah, she instead should be HARDER.

Thanks for hearing out my suggestions, with the updated increases in Shards I feel you should accordingly increase the dungeon’s difficulty rather than relent to the inexperienced players. You intended dungeons to be hardcore and un-PuGable, please keep that promise.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

They could add an additional lupicus for every 20% health , so at the end you will have to fight 5 lupicus and the whole party will be forced to solo lupicus on their own .

Posted by: Kingteranas.1376

Kingteranas.1376

^^ sounds excellent!

Kingteranas – 80 Guardian
Queen Of Macabre – 80 Thief
Dragonbrand [Ankh]

Posted by: Ceribrocanasans.4135

Ceribrocanasans.4135

Giganticus Clowncaricus

Crigger – Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.dtguilds.com

Posted by: durend.6237

durend.6237

48 scale dredge clown car spawning Lupi’s instead of dredge XD

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

They could add an additional lupicus for every 20% health , so at the end you will have to fight 5 lupicus and the whole party will be forced to solo lupicus on their own .

Each spawned Lupi will spawn additional Lupi at every 20% of their respective health.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

It appears you are still at “let’s stack” phase. But I agree, lupi needs to be changed. Swap him with risen priest of melandru.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Swap Subject Alpha with the Risen Priest of Melandru.

The tears.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

The ocean of tears.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Lupicus is still much more fun to play than Zhaitan or Jellyfish from Aquatic Ruins Fractal… I say, concentrate on these first…

Posted by: durend.6237

durend.6237

I remember a pug I had on arah 4 once tell me about how his last attempt coined the hoard of dwayna tears at simin an “ocean of tears”

Perhaps we can have lupi use simin’s petrification and life regen tactics? Kill 5 priests of melandru to stop lupi’s life regen?

a t s e.9614

Each spawned Lupi will spawn additional Lupi at every 20% of their respective health.

That’s OP , extremly OP .

Posted by: Strontius.6478

Strontius.6478

I think the best thing they could do, however, is to maybe change his abilities based on our actions in the dungeon, as a sort of non-binary hardmode. This way we could control how many buffs or new abilities he gets to increase the difficulty as well as increase the rewards from him. This also means people that want lupicus as he is now can still fight him that way. More choice is always good!

Unfortunately this would pretty much require a revamp for arah and is likely too much work for Anet to even consider.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

I remember a pug I had on arah 4 once tell me about how his last attempt coined the hoard of dwayna tears at simin an “ocean of tears”

Perhaps we can have lupi use simin’s petrification and life regen tactics? Kill 5 priests of melandru to stop lupi’s life regen?

This would be the worst idea in GW2 history. Dwayna’s p4 fight is probably my least favorite fight in the entire game period.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Some of the ideas in the OP aren’t bad. It might be cool if other types of skills were rewarded in the fight with GL. It would also be cool if he were a little more intelligent to boot and used his melee attacks more frequently if you’re in melee range and only used his projectile attacks on those players at range. I also think the #1 thing that could be done to cheaply buff him would be to make his projectiles unblockable (though this would require ANet fix the red circle bug that plagues his p2 AOE projectile launch).

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

suuure buff it and watch how 99.9% of the player base never ever do it again.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

a t s e.9614

They just need to add a hardmode with better rewards . In gw1 we had a hardmode.and it was awesome . Gw2 PvE is pretty boring .

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

They just need to add a hardmode with better rewards . In gw1 we had a hardmode.and it was awesome . Gw2 PvE is pretty boring .

tell that to my dodging fingers.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

Lupicus is fine and so is Arah overall, though I personally don’t like running through hordes of trash all the time, fix bosses, which actually need fixing, like fe jellyfish from aquatic fractal, which is nothing but boring, or cof p1 last boss, which is frankly pathetic.

a t s e.9614

CoF boss needs no fixing , I have my good old memories about Cof p1 , i miss it so bad

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

CoF boss needs no fixing

Why? You just stand and push 1. Don’t even need to dodge, could very well replace him with a rock.

a t s e.9614

Why he deserves to die in the first place? It’s just a cat with a costume of a giant robot .

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

With all that needs fixing in this game (like every other boss but lupicus) I hope to god they don’t bother to touch lupi for the time being..

[DnT]

a t s e.9614

Arah is supposed to be the endgame . I wouldn’t be surprised if they give lupi a Greatsword.

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

Giganticus Lupicus too easy? Definitely, for serious hardcore groups.

But I’d see every single boss in this game buffed to at least his level before he gets buffed…which may take a while.

Also, Arah would be even closer to being dead or people would just exploit skip him.

zencow.3651

Some of the ideas in the OP aren’t bad. It might be cool if other types of skills were rewarded in the fight with GL. It would also be cool if he were a little more intelligent to boot and used his melee attacks more frequently if you’re in melee range and only used his projectile attacks on those players at range. I also think the #1 thing that could be done to cheaply buff him would be to make his projectiles unblockable (though this would require ANet fix the red circle bug that plagues his p2 AOE projectile launch).

The ideas in my necro’ed thread were pretty much designed and poke fun of the ‘lupicus is too hard’ people at the time and I wanted more reasons to melee lupi since at that time people just snorefest ranged him.

It wasn’t until around december that people meleed lupi and Weth soloed lupi that I learnt that grubs could be dodged etc.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Or… You could just melee Lupi.
Complaining that a boss is too easy because you choose to go AFK range makes no sense.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

I can’t believe atse made my morning but thanks.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Complaining that a boss is too easy because you choose to go AFK range makes no sense.

Melee’ing is easier than ranging. Next time your team melee’s, stand at range and let me know how you do.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

zencow.3651

whole party will be forced to solo lupicus on their own .

Pretty sure you would be able to just LoS the lupi by going outside and around the door, then you could cleave down all 5 lupi !

Syn Sity.5826

Melee’ing is easier than ranging. Next time your team melee’s, stand at range and let me know how you do.

Well, we usually don’t use reflects so in this case I think melee is significantly more difficult.

[DnT]

hybrid.5027

Well, we usually don’t use reflects so in this case I think melee is significantly more difficult.

I still wouldn’t agree. In melee there is no lupine blast, nor is there the phase walk (or bubble). If you stick to ranging, there are more skills to look out for. Especially if he decides to spam lupine at you, you can’t dodge forever. In melee the attacks all have long tells, and the barrage is honestly the same as ranging, unless your party member decides to troll you.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

You can range lupicus without dodging.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

You can range lupicus without dodging.

Elaborate.

Defeated by packet loss.

hybrid.5027

Use a ranged weapon in melee range!

Syn Sity.5826

I still wouldn’t agree. In melee there is no lupine blast, nor is there the phase walk (or bubble). If you stick to ranging, there are more skills to look out for. Especially if he decides to spam lupine at you, you can’t dodge forever. In melee the attacks all have long tells, and the barrage is honestly the same as ranging, unless your party member decides to troll you.

Kicks have probably the quickest tell of any attack i know of except maybe the champion orrian warrior’s little scoop/pull melee attack. Ranging in phase 1 is cake, in phase 2 you don’t have swipes and the mass aoe from range is incredibly easy to avoid, and phase 3 the only attacks you have to worry about are all single target or have small areas of effect (life drink, lupine blast, dome, barrage field which affects a very small area). Ranging is slower and will certainly drag the fight out for longer but I think it would be easier to survive for a long period of time ranging than it would melee’ing, as one dome at the wrong time could whipe the party and aoe lifesteals force all 5 party members to burn 2 dodge/evade/blocks. As long as the group isn’t stacked up then ranging would be easier only because worst case scenario he focuses down one person at a time and slowly kills them and a decent team wouldn’t have many issues res’ing.

[DnT]

hybrid.5027

Kicks have probably the quickest tell of any attack i know of except maybe the champion orrian warrior’s little scoop/pull melee attack. Ranging in phase 1 is cake, in phase 2 you don’t have swipes and the mass aoe from range is incredibly easy to avoid, and phase 3 the only attacks you have to worry about are all single target or have small areas of effect (life drink, lupine blast, dome, barrage field which affects a very small area). Ranging is slower and will certainly drag the fight out for longer but I think it would be easier to survive for a long period of time ranging than it would melee’ing, as one dome at the wrong time could whipe the party and aoe lifesteals force all 5 party members to burn 2 dodge/evade/blocks. As long as the group isn’t stacked up then ranging would be easier only because worst case scenario he focuses down one person at a time and slowly kills them and a decent team wouldn’t have many issues res’ing.

Phase 1 ranging is easier. Phase 2 you’re incorrect on pretty much all of your points. He will swipe, because he will phase walk and you’ll be in swipe range (not a definite, just a possibility, mainly if you actually get hit with it). The AoE barrage is incredibly easy to avoid in melee range, you only have to use one evade and you’re done (2 if you want to be safer, I tend to use 2 because you can afford it on war). So again, we end up with more attacks to look out for at range, due to the phase walk and the lupine blast. Phase 3 has the bubble, the barrage, lupine blast, and the two life drains (he’s not static in phase 2 and 3, you know this). Again, we have more attacks to look out for when you are ranged vs melee.

I challenge you though; go and try to solo Lupicus while staying ranged. A step less than that would be max melee constantly in phase 3, so that you also have to deal with bubbles. I won’t claim that I can do it, but I also acknowledge that there is more involved in ranging than melee’ing.

Actually, bringing this back to the original poster of this “dont afk range, go melee”. He would definitely collapse under those conditions.

(edited by hybrid.5027)

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

You don’t even have to evade any attack but single target lifesteal. You can evade lupine blast by sidestepping and the aoe/shadowstep by just walking out.
Ranging lupicus is much easier than meleeing.
Please don’t “buff” Lupicus, though. Rather letting him full than bugs than seing how he becomes slave driver 2.0.

Profession changes are welcome, though, partially even those that will be done. But lets be honest, did anyone find those changes pve relevant? 5% damage buff for eles and vigor into master tier, guardian 5% sword damage buff and… nothing else?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

hybrid.5027

You don’t even have to evade any attack but single target lifesteal. You can evade lupine blast by sidestepping and the aoe/shadowstep by just walking out.

Let’s see your video of it

Syn Sity.5826

I was talking about 5 man cookie and you ignored my main point which is that it’s mostly single target stuff and there isn’t anything he can do that can quickly whipe the party. Worst case scenario someone gets ressed from full dead. Anyways I’ll attempt a ranged solo and probably fail a few times and give up relatively quickly.

[DnT]

hybrid.5027

Well, we’re working with blanket statements (Dubs and Dolans favourites). So I figured we may as well cover all points. I would still argue that ranging in a 5 man you’re playing a larger gamble than in melee, due to the inconsistency of lupine blasts/aggro. If lupi decides that he hates the guy ranging, you’re not going to have a fun time (nor are the guys melee’ing).

Syn Sity.5826

Well, we’re working with blanket statements (Dubs and Dolans favourites). So I figured we may as well cover all points. I would still argue that ranging in a 5 man you’re playing a larger gamble than in melee, due to the inconsistency of lupine blasts/aggro. If lupi decides that he hates the guy ranging, you’re not going to have a fun time (nor are the guys melee’ing).

I’d say the hardest is trying to melee while everyone else ranges. He shadowsteps away, shoots a bolt at you and domes you lol

[DnT]

hybrid.5027

PUG adventures

zencow.3651

I knew it wasn’t gonna happen even as I posted that a year ago.

I would prefer a total Shiro 2.0 in a fractal or something though.

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Well Cookie, in that case I think that you should try to do that some times with a bunch of Lupi melee newbies (and without soloing the remaining X % yourself when everybody else is dead). You’d probably be surprised how deadly his kicks and punches can be.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

hybrid.5027

Well Cookie, in that case I think that you should try to do that some times with a bunch of Lupi melee newbies (and without soloing the remaining X % yourself when everybody else is dead). You’d probably be surprised how deadly his kicks and punches can be.

I’m no god, I eat the occasional kick and swipe. I know how much they hurt. I also pug, and anecdotal evidence is consistent with what I would consider logical. There are more attacks, and less predictability when you are ranging, so the people ranging almost always die first (not phase 1, unless people try to tank locusts, but that’s the human factor, not anything to do with range vs melee).

I probably eat more kicks and swipes than James and Dub combined (when Dub isn’t lagging, anyway. Hard to compete with Dub’s lag).

(edited by hybrid.5027)

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Well, I tried to teach four people yesterday (who I’d rate way above the average pug). It wasn’t funny to be the only one getting into phase 3 while the others always died to some punch

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

When my first guild first ventured into arah. We ranged lupi. Only difficult phase we found was phase 2 because we were bad at avoiding the aoe. Phase 3 was pretty faceroll because whoever had aggro was able to kite him pretty much indefinately without him getting in range to dome or barrage. If people got caught 4 of us were able to res and kite lupi away. Ranging was definately easier but it was more of an endurance fight because of how long it took.

zencow.3651

When my first guild first ventured into arah. We ranged lupi. Only difficult phase we found was phase 2 because we were bad at avoiding the aoe. Phase 3 was pretty faceroll because whoever had aggro was able to kite him pretty much indefinately without him getting in range to dome or barrage. If people got caught 4 of us were able to res and kite lupi away. Ranging was definately easier but it was more of an endurance fight because of how long it took.

5 minute was considered fast lupi kill and typical pug was 10-20 minute. People cried about Lupi being hard. Everyone were pretty much Pvt/Cleric believers until they were shown the way by the zerker pioneers.

1 year ago quotes:

I don’t get why people keep bashing glass cannon when in reality it’s a pretty good trade-off: you basically do double damage but twice as fast ONLY IF YOU GET HIT. Your dodge bar doesn’t get any bigger with more survivability stats. Your defensive cooldowns like Endure Pain and Shield Stance don’t either. Toughness negates negilible damage while vitality just lets you survive an extra 1-2 hits. You have to realise with increased vitality, your heal doesn’t heal you back to full so overall you can survive kittens as glass cannon compared to 7-8 with soldier’s. PvE mobs are predictable and don’t really attack that often, that’s why confusion spec mesmers are so trash in PvE; it’s no where near as chaotic as sPvP or WvW where everyone and their pet charr spams damage all over the place.

Tbh, Plenty of people have dungeon masters running glass cannon without dying even half as much as the survivability preachers AND with faster clear times.

It’s fun to see big green numbers but the thing with support is, you shouldn’t really ‘spec’ for it. Healing power to heal ratios on things are pretty terrible and the lost damage compared to the healing gained is just absurd. Your support from non-healing skills/boons that mitigate damage far outweighs the healing ones too.

This is worsened in dungeons where the trash mob HP are high and doing 50% less damage replacing a damage attribute for healing power just draws out the misery of taking longer to do things and risks your party from wiping even more once their defensive cooldowns/dodges are exhausted and your healing power can’t compensate.

There is a breakpoint though where enough healing power in the group would let you sustain yourselves infinite but again, you’re gonna do bad at DPS checks if everyone does little damage.

tl;dr Support is fine skillwise and traitwise. But don’t waste gold speccing for Healing Power through suit/jewels since Healing Power is weak, you’re better off with just the base healing from skills/traits.

(edited by zencow.3651)

a t s e.9614

People discovered berserker gear through CoF back then? I mean it’s a pretty cool armor set on all clases , so they started wearing it and became elitists .