How I think dungeon skipping can be fixed

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Can someone just link Hrouda’s response to mob skipping from years ago? The game devs already answered this topic, when it was first created, years ago…..

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.
I can’t make the rewards from trash mobs so lucrative though that people just farm the first couple trash mobs/boss in a dungeon and then rinse/repeat. We encountered this when people just farmed the first boss in an instance and then restarted it (earlier around launch time), and we had to adjust the content as a result. It’s a fine line you have to walk to encourage players to get to the end, but make the process of getting there rewarding enough as well.
I don’t imagine this next update will resolve all the skipping behavior. The path of least resistance is engrained in people, and even if I do everything I could to incentivize people, there will still be those who skip stuff. I have been fixing exploits that will require players to complete more of the events in dungeons, but I am sure people will still skip what they can to get to their end goal.
For now I would encourage those not looking to skip to find some folks who don’t like skipping and make a guild with them… or maybe look for guilds that are dedicated to not skipping, and tag along with them. I’m in a couple of them (anonymously), and it really is an effective solution to playing the game the way you want to play it: Find other people with similar interests and band together with them.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Will-the-new-update-stop-skipping/first

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Skipping Trash is part of the dungeon.

Why even add it in there then? They (ANet) cannot disapprove too much because they have not added anything to prevent it, but I do see it as trivialising content and annoying really. There just doesn’t seem to be a point to killing things.

In GW1 EoTN, you had many mobs that carried keys to the dungeon, which you had to kill in order to open the door to progress, the exact same thing would work here. No stealthing or running, kill the mobs, get the key, move on.

Because it is an obstacle in your path to the end that you can choose to handle in whatever ways you find provided it’s within the rules.

If we weren’t intended to ever skip mobs in dungeons, then Arah wouldn’t exist.

Posted by: desertleaf.5403

desertleaf.5403

Best way to deal with dungeon skipping is to make npc’s cripple condition unblockable, effective before invulnerability ( aka immune, god mode) affects.

Done.

I would like to see a mode similiar to guild wars 1 map conquer, but instead dungeon conquer. clearing all enemies in dungeon explore mode will be a bonus to the primary mission, much like gw1.

Do a lot of things gw1 did, and you wont have problems.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Yeah. No thanks.

Im fine with them incentivising the clearing of trash mobs through bonus loot or bonus rewards at the end of the path. But forcing it or adding annoying gimmicks is a bad idea.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Thanks for sharing your solution that you obviously didn’t think about for more than 5 seconds. You can’t seriously believe that unblockable cripple would improve the game or make it more fun in any way…

Or have we all forgotten about this?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hyenas-1

You wouldn’t really be punishing speedrunners. They’d just stealth/dodge/skip/portal past anything that cripples, assuming if the current tactic of ‘run faster than they can hit you’ (which works perfectly) stopped working. This would just kitten off casuals xD

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

What about stealth skips then? :P If they can’t see, they can’t cripple.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Why not make the average elite mob in a dungeon drop at least one random green upon killing it?

That’s really the only reason why people skip dungeon mobs in game, since there really is really no reason to waste effort working for a grey item and a little XP. Maybe this doesn’t need to get added in regular dungeon mode, but at least explorable mode!

Let me know what you guys think!

Or simply have to kill X creatures / mobs / spawns in order for the boss to spawn or objective to become achievable. This is actually being done currently in many games, with various twists on it.

For example in order to get to a boss you have to open the gate, to do so, you have to fight off mobs for X amount of time and defend the person doing it, etc.

There are many ways this can be spiced up and included in dungeons.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Guys does necroing PHIW threads count as Bingo?

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Convert Thread: Now applies 25 stack of vulnerability to nearby PHIWs and randomly replies to posts, taunting all nearby foes for 2seconds granting yourself 3seconds of resistance and protection.

Posted by: fracture.9754

fracture.9754

Why not make the average elite mob in a dungeon drop at least one random green upon killing it?

That’s really the only reason why people skip dungeon mobs in game, since there really is really no reason to waste effort working for a grey item and a little XP. Maybe this doesn’t need to get added in regular dungeon mode, but at least explorable mode!

Or simply have to kill X creatures / mobs / spawns in order for the boss to spawn or objective to become achievable. This is actually being done currently in many games, with various twists on it.

For example in order to get to a boss you have to open the gate, to do so, you have to fight off mobs for X amount of time and defend the person doing it, etc.

There are many ways this can be spiced up and included in dungeons.

Or make it so you can’t progress at all. You enter a dungeon and you have to kill the first mob over and over. That would be perfect and very immersive I feel.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

While people bring up how Arah is a shining example why skipping is intended… Arah is a really bad design exactly because of the overabundant skipping.

Instead of implementing dumb skips, why can’t we have more encounters? I don’t want to kill every last monster in a dungeon, don’t get me wrong. Yet i find that it’s just another artificial and lazy mechanic. I would prefer two additional boss fights with great mechanics in any dungeon in place of the skipping.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Woah an entire green? You mean the things we have so many of we can’t salvage them quickly enough?

You’ve won me over.

Unless they drop 10-15 silver I won’t bother.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I am really sad for the developers that they have a sizeable chunk of the player base who barely understand the game, barely understand that the developers said “DPS, support and control are our trinity” years and years ago, and cry to this day about Healers and Tanks. It must be deflating to deal with that. I only hope the devs know how to see the signal through the noise and phase out these sad people.

This is what you get in a game that doesn’t punish you almost at all for being bad.
No negative reinforcement policy that makes players “get good or go home” means that huge masses of terrible players are left to roam freely in the open world without having the faintest clue of how the game works apart from “i’m hitting stuff with a sharp thing”.

The ones crying for “healers and tanks” are the ones that can’t bother to adapt, or figure out that this game isn’t what they wanted it to be. It’s the ones who don’t care about what other people want or enjoy and demand everything be changed to cater to them so they can be “special” once again.

I feel the typical “healer/tank” person comes from a trinity MMO where they played roles that made them necessary no matter how bad or annoying they were because of the number discrepancy between healer/tank and dps players.
So they come to GW2 where suddenly they’re no longer special just because of the character they decided to make and actually have to play decently and be decent people so they get on the forums demanding they get their special status back.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

This is hardly the first game where players took extra steps to avoid trash mobs in dungeons. They’re called trash for a reason, and it happens that in Guild Wars 2 they’re even more trash than normal, since they usually drop nothing. Personally, I don’t feel like wasting time killing things that drop nothing. If ya’ll want to, that’s fine, just make your own group. Advertise that you don’t plan on skipping fights and you’ll still get a group. It really is that simple.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

This is hardly the first game where players took extra steps to avoid trash mobs in dungeons. They’re called trash for a reason, and it happens that in Guild Wars 2 they’re even more trash than normal, since they usually drop nothing. Personally, I don’t feel like wasting time killing things that drop nothing. If ya’ll want to, that’s fine, just make your own group. Advertise that you don’t plan on skipping fights and you’ll still get a group. It really is that simple.

except for some of the infinitely respawning types, they dont drop nothing. Or do you mean nothing good?
nothing drops anything good, trash or not.

Posted by: FirebrandFrog.7603

FirebrandFrog.7603

Skipping Trash is part of the dungeon.

Skipping “trash” is part of a player’s strategy to maximize efficiency for rewards from a dungeon to time spent in it.

Anet does need to incentivize the players better for fighting the Elites versus skipping them and squeezing every last second out of a run for the sake of speed. Champs and Legends drop chests, usually with some kind of T6/T7 loot bag (e.g. the champ and legendary bandits drop embroidered coinpurses), so why not something like that for Elites? Maybe T3/T4 materials in a chest?

An alternate way is a Vanquishing bonus: defeat a certain percentage of enemies in a dungeon (somewhere around 90-90%) in a dungeon, and when you complete it, you receive a large bonus after the dungeon run is done. Additional gold, more T5/T6 materials, etc. This way, the game rewards you additionally for putting the time into clearing things while still giving you the option to simply skip all that and go straight for timecrunching.

Of course, the bonus gets bigger if you’re trying to Vanquish an Arah explorable than if you were Vanquishing a bunch of ghosts (AC) or bandits (CM). And hey, it can be a cool callback to GW1 on top of that. Not all enemies are equal. This also gives you some leverage to be able to skip certain things (e.g. Sure-Shot Seamus in P1 CM, who drops nothing on death) without sacrificing your Vanquish bonus. Win-win!

Now if only Anet could take notes from my ideas…

Briar Stoneheart, 80 Warrior | Erik Haptem, 80 Necromancer
(currently leveling: a Mesmer, an Engineer, and a Guardian)

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

You have all these arcane ideas to “solve the problem” of skipping trash. From a philosophical standpoint, this makes no sense. In order to solve a problem you first have to establish it is a problem at all. Since no one has yet been able to cite why this is a problem whatsoever, any solution offered to solve it is automatically irrelevant.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Posted by: Kordash.2197

Kordash.2197