How to handle staff guardians?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

When I pug and get a guardian in a group, chances are he’s with staff. Actually, I haven’t seen a non-staff guardian in ages (except mine and newbies who are like “dis my hammer, love my hammer”, good at least you have a weapon that can provide real utility inside the battle).

So, how to tell a guardian that he just should give up on staff for dungeons like CoE, AC, CoF!, etc. and that staff is more of a situational weapon. I want to be able to tell him and still finish the dungeon. So far everytime I mention the topic, I’m seen as a berserker scumbag (yet the lfg said zerker only). But also, I don’t want to shut up because they can’t play. I know I can’t educate people against their will, but I wanna try anyways.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Try to reason with them and if they refuse, then either kick or leave yourself. That’s what I normally do. It’s less painful than going through the dungeon with them, and more ethical than making them leave on their own.

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

Just ask them politely if they could run something else. Works for me 90% of the time.

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Just ask them politely if they could run something else. Works for me 90% of the time.

Share your magic in my pug groups then

Posted by: Kolzi.5928

Kolzi.5928

newbies who are like “dis my hammer, love my hammer”, good at least you have a weapon that can provide real utility inside the battle).

Hammer also has quite competitive DPS for the record.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Try to look at it this way, if they are using staff they probably haven’t looked at their build closely enough to be get decent dps even if they were using greatsword. So by pumping out their stacks of might they may be adding to damage more than by trying to do raw damage on a greatsword with their cleric’s build.

On a related note, I had a mace shield guardian with me in a pug group the other night. Man that was a slow HotW path 2 run.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Tell them that theres a bug with guardian staff atm, and you risk getting banned if you use it.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

No Pulse.2967

Share your magic in my pug groups then

Sure, if you come to NA

5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Paraphrasing a known leader “Kick solves all problems – no man, no problem”.

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

When I see a guardian with a torch I run as fast as I can.

Fror.2163

newbies who are like “dis my hammer, love my hammer”, good at least you have a weapon that can provide real utility inside the battle).

Hammer also has quite competitive DPS for the record.

Used in the proper build. Which I doubt he had with only 3 traits available (being level 45, hence the “newbie”). But indeed, he’s on the right track and I say those guys to continue using their hammer.

Fror.2163

I haven’t seen any in ages in PvE.

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

I haven’t seen any in ages in PvE.

I saw one once, I had nightmares for days. Not the condi dmg not the condi dmg

Fror.2163

Wasn’t there this trick where torch was decent against the dredge fractal’s elemental boss? I think I remember some video of it when AH was the meta. I tried it at the time but was never convinced. Happily the pure dps option was put on the table short after that moment.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Hoowee. Let me tell you a story when Lilith was first leveling guardian.

Dear little Squaark was the cutest guardian around. She has pink hair, pink armor, and a stunning immobulus. She wondered, “What off handed weapon should I use with this beautiful scepter?”
So she went on, trying her possible combinations.
So she found shield, utterly useless while leveling. She was killing mobs so quickly, who needs more protection?
Then, a focus found her. “Again, who needs this? I’m only using auto attack anyway, the animations are boring, what else is there?”
And then Mr. Ollivander brought her a torch. This torch was light weight, pretty, and gave the little Squaark fire breath, the cutest animation. And so she took it. From then on, she always had grilled Moa wings for breakfast.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

o.0

lilith wins

i just…. i dont… i… ((throws up hands))

she wins.

Lilith Ajit.6173

o.0

lilith wins

i just…. i dont… i… ((throws up hands))

she wins.

bows

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Dual wielding Emberglow and the HotM torch looks pretty OP on an asura. Hence, torch is my first OH weapon.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Lilith Ajit.6173

Dual wielding Emberglow and the HotM torch looks pretty OP on an asura. Hence, torch is my first OH weapon.

It’s official: torches are the meta for Asura guardian fashion.

[ARES]

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Are you failing at the dungeon?

If you answered no to this then is there really any problem?

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

No Pulse.2967

It’s official: torches are the meta for Asura guardian fashion.

I have a torch skin with a green flame

5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Kick them. Don’t even bother trying to tell them the weapon is bad, because even if they swap they’d still be in an x/x/6/6/x build.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Thats the odd thing its like they dont have a second weapon set. they just stick to Staff like it a nice pair of b24’s.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Lilith Ajit.6173

Thats the odd thing its like they dont have a second weapon set. they just stick to Staff like it a nice pair of b24’s.

I’ve run 2 staves, a bifrost skin, and a monsoon skin. I weapon swap from staff…. To staff!

[ARES]

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Well… Im at a loss for words. awestruck I am.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Lilith Ajit.6173

Well… Im at a loss for words. awestruck I am.

>:D

Some people just live to watch the world Burn…. With my torch.

[ARES]

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Theres no reasoning with the average pug guardian. Your only decent solution is to kick all pug guardians.

Posted by: LadyTrouble.6920

LadyTrouble.6920

Haha but I was trying to get my torch mastery achievement!

Posted by: kuromisa.3516

kuromisa.3516

I’ve met a bunch of staff guardians in fractals, who insist that it is the best weapon in the game. There was this one fella who had a sigil of perception (stacks precision per kill)on his staff running a 00662 build, one issue I had was he used it everywhere and I mean everywhere for everything including Mai Trin, insisting he was tanking properly and the guardian dungeon meta was AH guardian build (apparently he mentioned that he was stacking precision during the boss fight.)
Personally, I wouldn’t bother telling a staff guardian he’s bad anymore (got into argument afterwards)
PUGs do not tend to listen so just find a zerk group and kick anyone who isn’t a zerk.

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

This is my typical convo with a staff camping guard:
-I politely ask them to change
-They usually link their might stacking skill (sorry at work can’t think of the skill)
- I thank them for the might and ask them to have a better dps swap weapon

I did have a run recently where a staff camping guard would use my warrior’s banner because “the crit coefficient was so high”. I then said that if he used my banner to attack again he would be kicked. He laughed, and dps’d with his own weapon.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

The answer is below.

Attachments:

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

The answer is below.

GW2 has become such a toxic player base.

And you wonder why people are continually leaving this game….

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Kaiser.8504

Kaiser.8504

And this goes on forever and ever yada yada.

Is it really so hard to respect a request on the LFG and not join it if you don’t fulfill the requirement?

Secretly an elitist jaguar
[Noob] Info Desk | [LOD]

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Sometimes you have to think that the staff is more oriented for the player himself rather than party members. I normally go GS/Staff myself in most cases, and switch to S/F when I’m required to have range. Staff gives quite a few utilities that are very useful, even if it’s for one swap. It helps with swiftness (along with “Retreat”), Line of Warding that stops pretty much anything that chases you in dungeons when you run past, Empower is what it says it is, which is 12 stacks of might, 12, but it also heals a caster himself because of the boons applied to others. Then boom, swap back to GS and have fun time.
I agree that using Staff as a main weapon makes no sense outside of zergfests, but it’s very useful for those short amount of times you swap to it in the middle of the battle.
But then again, it’s personal preference. The thing is that you should always bring your S/F as backup for that range.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

The reason people leave this game is because of lack of endgame or worthwhile content. It is all temporary. Also the blatant profession bugs / issues that continue to go unaddressed for now 1.5 years.

Posted by: VideoGamermike.5813

VideoGamermike.5813

To original post:
How about you realize he has a different style then you’re own. If it happens to not work in your party, fair enough, tell him the reason why and move on. Telling another player their entire fighting style is useless simply because of a choice of weapon. you handle it like a person facing differing ideals and combat, you adapt it into a team strategy.
I am glad that you’re trying trying not to be some beserker obsessed jerk, but you’re following the same mentality of “I see his build as useless, so I don’t want it”. I think through he post I’ve read in the last 4 days(2 as lurker), this game is balance enough to handle any potential combination, is why I even bother playing it. the last thing you want to do is make the environment toxic by trying to call out entire weapon sets garbage.

and gyler, why not jsut start a new character and play the game again. there is more of the game than just lvl 80 content. you’re right, there is a limited endgame content, we have world vs world for unending lvl 80 combat, PvE by definition must have an end, and when you reach that, you play the rest of the game you haven’t gotten to play in a while.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I personally only find staff useful for skips. Between the 9 seconds you’re forced to use it, 3 seconds empower channel, fast stack degradation, and mediocre damage; you lose quite a bit of DPS. Even more DPS is lost if you use empower at the beginning of the swap which most I have seen do.

The benefit does gradually improve the more overall DPS that your group has; however, it will never make up for the loss of your DPS and the higher the group overall DPS is, the more likely that you have classes that can stack might better without lowering DPS.

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

Hoowee. Let me tell you a story when Lilith was first leveling guardian.

Dear little Squaark was the cutest guardian around. She has pink hair, pink armor, and a stunning immobulus. She wondered, “What off handed weapon should I use with this beautiful scepter?”
So she went on, trying her possible combinations.
So she found shield, utterly useless while leveling. She was killing mobs so quickly, who needs more protection?
Then, a focus found her. “Again, who needs this? I’m only using auto attack anyway, the animations are boring, what else is there?”
And then Mr. Ollivander brought her a torch. This torch was light weight, pretty, and gave the little Squaark fire breath, the cutest animation. And so she took it. From then on, she always had grilled Moa wings for breakfast.

I love my scepter/torch guardian, plus the +10% damage while burning trait, and virtue of justice recharges on kill. Burn all the things!!

But my other guardian was almost kicked from TA dungeon because she DIDNT have a staff. I run GS/Hammer on her, but now I have a staff for backup and ranged fighting. Or when I’m helping friends level up, so I dont kill everything before they do.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Qin.7325

Qin.7325

The answer is below.

ahh yes, the toxic player base
and the ever so common “it can’t possibly be my fault” mindset
along with the “nerf zerk/stack/skip cause ruins everything” thing

but then again, that’s why I (a random nobody, who likes to use zerk/meta and run speed clear dungeons) stopped wanting to play…

felt like the already vast legions of staff camping pro healer cleric/non-dps guardians and their alliances of other anti-efficient-dps players in dungeons continues to grow
(especially with the recent nerf to zerk which did nothing for non-zerks except lengthen their dungeon runs too)

and joining an experienced zerk only pug that can take down AC ghost eater in 1 trap or CoE destroyer in 1 bubble burst seems increasingly difficult/next to impossible to find (but when found, those guys are friended/chatted up/snuggled with love so fast the server suffers a lag spike)

maybe next major patch will fix some of these problems
(or we’ll get more TA Aether-like paths to ignore)

No Pulse.2967

The answer is below.

It’s not like they would leave because of the lack of new content…

5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Shh… ignore him and maybe he’ll go away.

VideoGamermike.5813

qin….did you hide under a rock lately? In the last two days I’ve had arguments with people defending the beserker gear and builds, all based on DPS damage….but(the intelligent ones anyway) also admit you can just as easily spam healing in the same way and be unkillable. superiority and efficiency are not about DPS or time spend in dungeon, its about a win/loss, how much did you grain for your trouble. Some people like to run in.blank and kill ASAP, some like to play more defensively like my duelist style of play. Its not better or worse, it just is. you wanna gamble for that kind of kill as quick as you can, not my time to lose.

and how does a patch fix player issues? I was just talking with guild mates about this obsession with the beserker build dungeon runners tend to have, we all agreed on why it existed, but were baffled why everyone and their brother dives in full force. should a patch fix that to?

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I’m not going to say whether or not you should be playing mentor.
But, as a general rule of thumb, if you ever feel like doing it just try to be tactful.

Sometimes it’s not what you’re saying, it’s how you’re saying it. Although it doesn’t work all the time, ‘Praise in public; criticize in private’ is a pretty easy way to make sure you’re being respectful to people. So, keep something like this in /tell territory.

Posted by: Ephemeral.5409

Ephemeral.5409

qin….did you hide under a rock lately? In the last two days I’ve had arguments with people defending the beserker gear and builds, all based on DPS damage….but(the intelligent ones anyway) also admit you can just as easily spam healing in the same way and be unkillable. superiority and efficiency are not about DPS or time spend in dungeon, its about a win/loss, how much did you grain for your trouble. Some people like to run in.blank and kill ASAP, some like to play more defensively like my duelist style of play. Its not better or worse, it just is. you wanna gamble for that kind of kill as quick as you can, not my time to lose.

and how does a patch fix player issues? I was just talking with guild mates about this obsession with the beserker build dungeon runners tend to have, we all agreed on why it existed, but were baffled why everyone and their brother dives in full force. should a patch fix that to?

Oh look, it’s the guy who finds AC too hard sharing his valuable insight with everyone.

Top lel

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Let’s assume you have a full group of likeminded people with builds that has actual synergy (so no pug life), that way survival is not an issue. Tanky specs will afk auto attack everything to death, while the other end of the spectrum bursts the mobs down before they can harm the group too much. Can you follow me? Good.

Now you have done your dungeon in at least two different ways. What happened? You get the same end reward with both builds. Whats the difference? Killing time. Is one of them better? If faster killing time means better, since we don’t have other measurement of “better” and fail is not an issue (see above), than yes, zerker is better.
Please, don’t be ignorant and i find your post overly agressive towards so called “elitist” players.

Tell me, why WvW frontliners wear tanky armor? Because its more efficient to not get killed in a second, right? How elitist toxic prick WvW players are to force gear requirement! I want do duel in socks and sandals with my magic wand.
Strawmans at it’s finest.

edit:
@Ephemeral

top kek you newfa … fabolous unicorn ;D

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

To original post:
How about you realize he has a different style then you’re own. If it happens to not work in your party, fair enough, tell him the reason why and move on. Telling another player their entire fighting style is useless simply because of a choice of weapon. you handle it like a person facing differing ideals and combat, you adapt it into a team strategy.
I am glad that you’re trying trying not to be some beserker obsessed jerk, but you’re following the same mentality of “I see his build as useless, so I don’t want it”. I think through he post I’ve read in the last 4 days(2 as lurker), this game is balance enough to handle any potential combination, is why I even bother playing it. the last thing you want to do is make the environment toxic by trying to call out entire weapon sets garbage.

and gyler, why not jsut start a new character and play the game again. there is more of the game than just lvl 80 content. you’re right, there is a limited endgame content, we have world vs world for unending lvl 80 combat, PvE by definition must have an end, and when you reach that, you play the rest of the game you haven’t gotten to play in a while.

I have all my professions at 80 fully decked out
I need a new profession / race at the very least.

VideoGamermike.5813

Well ok gyler, try this.
Roll a single die to define your race, and class, then sue the same die to define where you go at each level ‘range’(going to more than one area if you need to train crafting or something.) And just…play the game again. who says you need something new? I’ve played tales of symphonia 8 times, and I have a million times more in me.

and for god sake people STOP USING THE WORD EFFICIENT. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous, none of you seem to know what this word means. By throwing you attack to ‘kill something in 10 minutes with no attrition’, you are WASTING potential, it only depends on what you see is spent. Berserker(yes I will start spelling that correctly!) gear and builds are great for time, not in terms of life, risk, or stress.
Finally, not everything is in terms of results, if you think the duelist style(high armor/crit for single strike fighting) is the same as berserker based on results, you are out of your mind.

Posted by: Kaiser.8504

Kaiser.8504

Yada yada. If you’re just going to keep QQing, no one will ever take you seriously.

Oh wait.

Secretly an elitist jaguar
[Noob] Info Desk | [LOD]

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Well ok gyler, try this.
Roll a single die to define your race, and class, then sue the same die to define where you go at each level ‘range’(going to more than one area if you need to train crafting or something.) And just…play the game again. who says you need something new? I’ve played tales of symphonia 8 times, and I have a million times more in me.

and for god sake people STOP USING THE WORD EFFICIENT. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous, none of you seem to know what this word means. By throwing you attack to ‘kill something in 10 minutes with no attrition’, you are WASTING potential, it only depends on what you see is spent. Berserker(yes I will start spelling that correctly!) gear and builds are great for time, not in terms of life, risk, or stress.
Finally, not everything is in terms of results, if you think the duelist style(high armor/crit for single strike fighting) is the same as berserker based on results, you are out of your mind.

Read it.
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

Just a small quote from the article.
“In Street Fighter, for example, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” So-called “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub."

edit:

If you would be less arrogant and narrow minded and read my previous post above yours, you would get a answer.

(edited by Dalanor.5387)

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Well ok gyler, try this.

Read it.
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

Just a small quote from the article.
“In Street Fighter, for example, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” So-called “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub."

edit:

If you would be less arrogant and narrow minded and read my previous post above yours, you would get a answer.

PUG’s can’t read 3 word lfg posts.

Man your expecting a lot from people if you want them to read a whole paragraph. You’re just getting crazy now….