How to handle staff guardians?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: VideoGamermike.5813

VideoGamermike.5813

(placeholder, its trying to show page 2, when page 2 is empty)

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

/ignore VideoGamermike.5813

So, based on your advices, I used the beloved /kick command.

I created that LFG, said zerker meta builds only for a full run of AC. I didn’t care for the profession, just meta-build.

Do you know what I got? Dozens of guardians with staff. First pug to join, a necro zerker, a real one! God bless him! And then the journey into oblivion started. Kick over kick. The staff guardians aligned to join, I kept asking to ping their main weapon, all of them were staves. So that was a real kickfest, the necro accepting any kick I asked. In the end, we finished with this group: 1 guardian (me), 1 necro, 1 ele, 1 engi and 1 warrior.

This was one of the fastest runs I ever had. No one got downed, all bosses melted. All paths were run very efficiently.

So thank you for the advice on kick. I usually kick after starting a dungeon, but doing it preemptively made my run very smooth. Sure it took time to get a party full of meta, but it was well worth it!

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

Nice to hear! Makes me almost want to pug dungeons again (but seriously – noooo thanks)!

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Paraphrasing a known leader “Kick solves all problems – no man, no problem”.

People are too softhearted theese days.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

No Pulse.2967

Paraphrasing a known leader “Kick solves all problems – no man, no problem”.

People are too softhearted theese days.

Actually, the problem is that no pug ever would second your kicks… :S

5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

gear and builds are great for time, not in terms of life, risk, or stress.

Dude you don’t get it, to many of us playing games is about pushing ourselves to the limit and push some more. A game with no risk/stress is a game not worth playing to many of us.

You may have a different view which is fine, but if you’ve been lurking around the dungeon sub-forum a lot of these people are long time players that discuss optimal strategies to find the most efficient method in terms of time completion.

Branding us as hypocrites, you may want to take a look at yourself.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Dude you don’t get it, to many of us playing games is about pushing ourselves to the limit and push some more. A game with no risk/stress is a game not worth playing to many of us.

You may have a different view which is fine, but if you’ve been lurking around the dungeon sub-forum a lot of these people are long time players that discuss optimal strategies to find the most efficient method in terms of time completion.

“A game with no risk/stress is a game not worth playing to many of us.”
Bro, thats literally what Gw2 Pve is. Go play darksouls or do raiding in other games.

No Pulse.2967

Bro, thats literally what Gw2 Pve is. Go play darksouls or do raiding in other games.

Attachments:

5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Pacer.6143

Pacer.6143

To original post:
How about you realize he has a different style then you’re own. If it happens to not work in your party, fair enough, tell him the reason why and move on. Telling another player their entire fighting style is useless simply because of a choice of weapon. you handle it like a person facing differing ideals and combat, you adapt it into a team strategy.
I am glad that you’re trying trying not to be some beserker obsessed jerk, but you’re following the same mentality of “I see his build as useless, so I don’t want it”. I think through he post I’ve read in the last 4 days(2 as lurker), this game is balance enough to handle any potential combination, is why I even bother playing it. the last thing you want to do is make the environment toxic by trying to call out entire weapon sets garbage.

and gyler, why not jsut start a new character and play the game again. there is more of the game than just lvl 80 content. you’re right, there is a limited endgame content, we have world vs world for unending lvl 80 combat, PvE by definition must have an end, and when you reach that, you play the rest of the game you haven’t gotten to play in a while.

OMG your reputation precedes you….

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

kitten where did that link go,

who has the signature with the “Noob Effect”

No Pulse.2967

kitten where did that link go,

who has the signature with the “Noob Effect”

Someone has already posted this and he commented on it (I think in the closed thread).

5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

ohh pity

ohh well.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It doesn’t really matter… I even don’t say something against Bearbows although it makes me cringe. The run maybe takes a couple of minutes more, who cares, really.

The last time I told something was in a guild run where one player told that his conditions are super awesome. I told him that the condition stat was one of the worst in PvE – soon after that I had all against me, so I stopped. Just let them be. If the run is more or less fast enough I just stopped caring.

I like fast runs but if the players are kitteners I rather do a run with funny people than the typical ‘I feel good and use Twilight/Dark Themed Warrior Berserker and don’t say a word unless it is to bash others’-attitude (yeah, I play Warrior meta too…). There are always 1-2 players in guild runs who are quite new or simply not interested in statistics/theorycrafting and maximizing effectiveness. There are a kittenload of other games out there and you can’t simply expect to have players all on the same level.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I never talk about that with pugs.

- If they are new, they need to experiment the game like we were able to.
- If they are casual, they usually don’t give a crap about stats. They have fun with a build and any build can work. So I usually, just let them have fun.
- If they are not new, not casual, but still run some staff healing build. Then trying to talk to them will only result in clash and ruin the run.

I concentrate on the people I can change, which are my guildmate. Even there, I never approach them with the information directly. I never say to them, in PvE take full zerker and learn to play. No, I let them ask me. They are not stupid, if they join us in our VOIP, they will hear us talk about zerker and build, and criticize and laugh at these clerics guardian. Usually, a lot of them eventually ask me or the other officer for some help for a build or simply to explain them why conditions or healing power is so bad in PvE.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Why do people say any build can work? Any build cant work. Isnt it more like anyone can be carried/dragged kicking and screaming?

My god the SE STORY mode last night 2 1/2 hours of torture.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Because any build can succeed. We finished arah path 3 with 5 MM necros (nemesis guide) in a speedrun manner. Given, It took us about 6 times as long, but we did complete it.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

DonQuack.9025

I dont know I dont know… Maybe I mean to say not every person can succeed.

Fror.2163

@DonQuack: What is that “Never Forget” in your signature? Wasn’t it supposed to be about the fractal reset instead of some clothes thingy? O_o

DonQuack.9025

NEVER FORGET! 2014!

Attachments:

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

NEVER FORGET! 2014!

Make a RIP vid then come back.

Never Forget is the fractal line, not the clothes’ one :/

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

DonQuack.9025

The MANS tryin to stop me from never forgetting but Ill never never never never? forget!

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

As annoying as losing mix n match town clothes is, its nothing compared to the fractal reset.

http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

DonQuack.9025

I can imagine! Those fractals are now tonics and you cant do them properly anymore. Atleast we both get refunds for the cash we spent on such sillyness

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Such troll wow :<

We cant do fractal 79 anymore. You can still wear your tonics or get a refund. Wheres my refunded fractal lvls?

DonQuack.9025

I was about to pm mike to ask if doing this correctly P

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

I did, demon souls, dark souls, DS 2, just finished DS2 on NG+3. I play a very wide variety of games.
I’m not pugging anyway, why should you care? I only play with friends – exclusively

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

Dark Souls speedruns are just jumping puzzles.

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

When I see a guardian with a torch I run as fast as I can.

I haven’t seen any in ages in PvE.

I sometimes run sword/torch + GS. I mean … I made Rodgort … I’d like to get some use out of it. Once in a while the AoE condition cleanse has been useful for teams I was on, it has OK dmg on 4, and focus is only somewhat better IMO.

Of course, I also sometimes run staff (zergs, open-world PvE, WvW), mace/shield (tanking chest on cliffside fractal and the karka guild challenge), and other somewhat marginal sets — when it seems appropriate for the situation. Maybe I’m the kind of guardian you’d want to avoid … but I would be willing to change to another weapon set if requested.

EDIT: I should add, there was a time when I used staff more in dungeons (Bifrost is pretty, and I had a sigil of bloodlust I’d charge up with it before switching to other weapons for bosses); and I still use it in some parts of fractals where the line of warding seems useful. I’d be willing to listen to suggestions for alternate weapons, though.

(edited by linuxotaku.4731)

Posted by: Goldberg.4831

Goldberg.4831

It is what it is. Had a rifle warrior in COF last night, Had to smile, he was standing at point blank range also, I told at that distance his sword would hit the bad guy too.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

At this point I use a Staff on my Guardian just because she wields it like a stripper pole.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

DonQuack.9025

See now that is another reason I can accept. If someone said that during a run I would say " Oh.. Well continue then."

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I sometimes run sword/torch + GS. I mean … I made Rodgort … I’d like to get some use out of it.

Get a ranger. Believe me, it works.

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

I sometimes run sword/torch + GS. I mean … I made Rodgort … I’d like to get some use out of it.

I have a ranger … had been using 1h sw + horn for melee. But … sure, will try torch, especially now that I can just skin it over whatever he’s using. :-)

deSade.9437

I have a ranger … had been using 1h sw + horn for melee. But … sure, will try torch, especially now that I can just skin it over whatever he’s using. :-)

Man, I wanted Rodgort so badllyyyyyyy I made a ranger specifically to have some use for the torch. Nice fire field.
Rodgort best legendary.

/crawls away back in the coffin

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

You guys are making me want a Rodgort now -.-

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Really, the bulk of this article does not apply to dungeons. Bosses do not alter their tactics the way human opponents do.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Really, the bulk of this article does not apply to dungeons. Bosses do not alter their tactics the way human opponents do.

I think that the point that a bad player will remain bad as long as he chooses to live in his mental construct of the game and thereby abiding to his own arbitrary rules instead of taking everything the game offers him and making it work in his advantage, comes across.

Nova [rT]

deSade.9437

You guys are making me want a Rodgort now -.-

DO.
IT.

Posted by: Kootje.9271

Kootje.9271

I don’t get this topic, I always ask for a staff guardian voor TA…

(Btw howler is nice on ranger too)

Proud member of Dutch-Finest Guild on Far Shiverpeaks.

If it ain’t dutch,… :P

deSade.9437

And this is why I’m awesome and I have both.
/walks away singing A Pug’s Lyf

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Yes, staff guardians in TA are good (if there are blossoms to kill).

Everywhere else they suck.

Nova [rT]

Fror.2163

Yes, staff guardians in TA are good (if there are blossoms to kill).

Everywhere else they suck.

This is why you kick them once you reached the first champ.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

You (man)handle them out of your party, of course.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

It’s not really a big deal. In CoE/Arah I would call them out for it since the DPS drop is quite noticeable. But in easy low level dungeons like SE/AC really they could use whatever they wanted, lol.

On the same topic Staff Eles and Mesmers are more or less the same. Obvious inferior DPS in dungeons which can only be explained with the label “casual gamers” that play just to have “fun” and using what they feel is comfortable for them.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

On the same topic Staff Eles and Mesmers are more or less the same. Obvious inferior DPS in dungeons which can only be explained with the label “casual gamers” that play just to have “fun” and using what they feel is comfortable for them.

Right, that’s why almost every speed run meta group includes 1 staff ele, and why two of Europe’s top dungeon guilds are led by folks who main mesmers. Clearly they are classes for casuals, and you know what you’re talking about.

At least you got the bit about staff guards right.

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Right, that’s why almost every speed run meta group includes 1 staff ele, and why two of Europe’s top dungeon guilds are led by folks who main mesmers. Clearly they are classes for casuals, and you know what you’re talking about.

Um I think he was referring to staff mesmers (which are so bad) but you are defientetly right about staff ele, when set up right.

The Sickest Guild NA

maxinion.8396

Um I think he was referring to staff mesmers (which are so bad) but you are defientetly right about staff ele, when set up right.

Ah, yes, I see now— I may have misread, sorry. Yes, staff mesmers are terrible, even worse than staff guard in most situations.

But staff ele is top tier, that’s absolutely for sure.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Ah, yes, I see now— I may have misread, sorry. Yes, staff mesmers are terrible, even worse than staff guard in most situations.

Not when that staff ele only autoattacks and occasionally use fire 5 when off cooldown. Also, in such DPS runs you usually need other ele builds as well, right? Staff ele by itself? Eh. I don’t think I’m that casual to call it top tier when they’re by themselves hitting 1.

And yeah, I meant staff mesmers.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

(edited by Tachii.3506)

maxinion.8396

Not when that staff ele only autoattacks and occasionally use fire 5 when off cooldown. Also, in such DPS runs you usually need other ele builds as well, right? Staff ele by itself? Eh. I don’t think I’m that casual to call it top tier when they’re by themselves hitting 1.

And yeah, I meant staff mesmers.

Staff 2 in fire is one of the higher DPS skills in the game, and provides 100% fire field uptime. Without other eles, staff alone can provide 6-9 might stacks, but combined with an LH ele, the synergy with constant fire field and blasts is crazy. The damage is certainly higher than LH ele, if all things like might stacks are equal. This is all fairly old news, though obviously the particular build linked there is out of date.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

/ignore VideoGamermike.5813
So, based on your advices, I used the beloved /kick command.

I created that LFG, said zerker meta builds only for a full run of AC. I didn’t care for the profession, just meta-build.

Do you know what I got? Dozens of guardians with staff. First pug to join, a necro zerker, a real one! God bless him! And then the journey into oblivion started. Kick over kick. The staff guardians aligned to join, I kept asking to ping their main weapon, all of them were staves. So that was a real kickfest

Awesome, please keep using “meta” in your group description so I know not to join. Not being snarky, that is one of the key words I look for to know not to join. Other words that keep me out are gear ping and speed run. I want fast, but I just don’t take it all so seriously.