How to handle staff guardians?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Don’t forget Guardians have fire fields. If your group doesn’t just know to blast it, it’s a good time to teach them, it’s a skill people should learn.

And while 12stacks of might is 12% extra damage, you’re lowering your damage by 100% for 3s to do so, and if done prefight it simply won’t last for very long.

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

If you have crappy warrior / ele, who can’t stack might, Empower won’t really help.
Also the might from it last for only 10 second, which often useless, especially how pugs doing this. Stack might, wait to minutes, agro boss. Blasting might is 20 second by default, just sayin.

I know blasting might is 20 sec, but, as you told, we are speaking of pugs party with “crappy warrior / ele who can’t stack might”.

Empowerer 10 sec isnt the optimal solution ofc, but it’s kinda better than anything when you are with craps.

I point out fact 12 might stack it’s 420 power that on full zerk party means around +12% party dps increase (and that’s math). If your party during fight stand under 15 might stacks you wont find any other skill (outside fury) who add more dmg than empowerer.

And about “how pugs stack might” you arent a bot, you have a brain and if you have to cast empowerer to cover craps fault and you cast it before the pull it’s your bad. Pull, empowerer, switch.

On general point of view im totally agree about guard meta build\weapons.

Guard should NOT go staff.

But it would be nice to be a little realistic too. Pug party often doesnt have 25might stacks, perma fury and 25 vuln on boss like premades.

So before complaing guard it would be nice to check out might\fury\vuln with pugs.

If your party might is 20+ and the guard stay staff, blame the guard.

If you party might is 10 stack start blaming other then right after you reach 20 might stack if the guard keep stayin on staff blame him.

I’m kinda tired of people who act like a pro on a casual game where 95% of fights are soloable just cause they copy builds on forum without realizing that meta build are made upon the statement you have 25might\25vuln\fury\disc etc.

This game deserve some REAL challenging content to push people to understand why they are using a metabuild and what they have to do about buff during fight to take 100% advantage from the build they’re using

I wanted to point out the fact, that if your party have a crappy warrior and a crappy ele and you are a crappy staff camper guardian, 60% of your party is crap, therefore 12 stack of 10 second might wont help. End of story. Not even if you guardian swaps to something else.

ps: I’m almost 100% sure it’s not that much dps increase in itself.

almost doest exist on math.

A full berserk ascendent character with rune of the scholar and max point on power line (6 or 30 as you prefer) has 2468 power unbuffed.

Round up to 2500.

Add strengh banner 170 power = 2670 power

if you have 12 might stack you have 35×12=420 more power = 3090 power.

Now if you cast empowerer (12 more might stack) you add 420 more power.

420 more power over 3090 power is 13,6% more dmg (400/3090)x100

13,6% more dmg for everysingle person in party.

Then you have to take every single bonus who add + percentual dmg from trait\rune\sigil (aka scholar\force\night\food\trait like empowering mantra etc) and you can roughly convert it on power. So if you have a +50% dmg having 12 more might stack it could be rougly translater to + 210 more power.

Thats another addiotional 6% dmg and we are on 20% more dmg.

20% more dmg for every men in party. Just casting mights with empowerer on party with max 12 might stack.

That obviusely for 10 sec only.

In fact guard should not go staff cause people should blasting mights.

My point isnt defending staff guard (im not guard) i’m just saying before kicking guard start to kick people who isnt comboing might whenever you arent to 20 stack cause they are killing party dps many more than a guard with staff.

People who doest understand this are way worst then a staff guard lol

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

(edited by aelfwe.4239)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

It does

Jerus.4350

It does

There are also Limits, which is basically “almost to X but not to X” /shrug.

PS. Calculus is evil!

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

It does

PS. Calculus is evil!

Limits are like precalculus brah.

Except for those ones on the Riemann sums. Man dey tuff.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

If you have crappy warrior / ele, who can’t stack might, Empower won’t really help.
Also the might from it last for only 10 second, which often useless, especially how pugs doing this. Stack might, wait to minutes, agro boss. Blasting might is 20 second by default, just sayin.

I know blasting might is 20 sec, but, as you told, we are speaking of pugs party with “crappy warrior / ele who can’t stack might”.

Empowerer 10 sec isnt the optimal solution ofc, but it’s kinda better than anything when you are with craps.

I point out fact 12 might stack it’s 420 power that on full zerk party means around +12% party dps increase (and that’s math). If your party during fight stand under 15 might stacks you wont find any other skill (outside fury) who add more dmg than empowerer.

And about “how pugs stack might” you arent a bot, you have a brain and if you have to cast empowerer to cover craps fault and you cast it before the pull it’s your bad. Pull, empowerer, switch.

On general point of view im totally agree about guard meta build\weapons.

Guard should NOT go staff.

But it would be nice to be a little realistic too. Pug party often doesnt have 25might stacks, perma fury and 25 vuln on boss like premades.

So before complaing guard it would be nice to check out might\fury\vuln with pugs.

If your party might is 20+ and the guard stay staff, blame the guard.

If you party might is 10 stack start blaming other then right after you reach 20 might stack if the guard keep stayin on staff blame him.

I’m kinda tired of people who act like a pro on a casual game where 95% of fights are soloable just cause they copy builds on forum without realizing that meta build are made upon the statement you have 25might\25vuln\fury\disc etc.

This game deserve some REAL challenging content to push people to understand why they are using a metabuild and what they have to do about buff during fight to take 100% advantage from the build they’re using

I wanted to point out the fact, that if your party have a crappy warrior and a crappy ele and you are a crappy staff camper guardian, 60% of your party is crap, therefore 12 stack of 10 second might wont help. End of story. Not even if you guardian swaps to something else.

ps: I’m almost 100% sure it’s not that much dps increase in itself.

A full berserk ascendent character with rune of the scholar and max point on power line (6 or 30 as you prefer) has 2468 power unbuffed.

Round up to 2500.

Add strengh banner 170 power = 2670 power

if you have 12 might stack you have 35×12=420 more power = 3090 power.

Now if you cast empowerer (12 more might stack) you add 420 more power.

420 more power over 3090 power is 13,6% more dmg (400/3090)x100

13,6% more dmg for everysingle person in party.

Then you have to take every single bonus who add + percentual dmg from trait\rune\sigil (aka scholar\force\night\food\trait like empowering mantra etc) and you can roughly convert it on power. So if you have a +50% dmg having 12 more might stack it could be rougly translater to + 210 more power.

Thats another addiotional 6% dmg and we are on 20% more dmg.

20% more dmg for every men in party. Just casting mights with empowerer on party with max 12 might stack.

That obviusely for 10 sec only.

In fact guard should not go staff cause people should blasting mights.

My point isnt defending staff guard (im not guard) i’m just saying before kicking guard start to kick people who isnt comboing might whenever you arent to 20 stack cause they are killing party dps many more than a guard with staff.

People who doest understand this are way worst then a staff guard lol

That’s not how it works lol. Full ascended zerk with Strength runes + consumables = 2648 power. Meanwhile a staff guard is likely to be running something like 0/0/6/6/2 Clerics (for EM and staff CD).

At 10 in Virtues and with Strength Runes, Empower gives 12 stacks of mgiht for 16.5 seconds every 16 seconds + 3 second channel = 10.4 stacks average = about 365 power gained. That’s a DPS boost of 13.7% to a party with no extra might.

A staff guard in Clerics deals about 10% of a meta zerk warrior’s damage (that’s not a joke) plus he’s channeling Empower about 15% of the time so he’s actually dealing about 8-9% of average damage. Assuming he’s the only non-contributing member that’s a DPS loss of about 90% of 20% of the party’s damage which is an 18% DPS loss. Even if the staff guard was in zerk and running a DPS spec like 2/6/0/4/2 or something he’d still only be hitting 25% of average damage, so it’s still be a overall DPS loss.

That’s assuming he’s the only non-contributing member too, the more useless members there are in the party the bigger the potential DPS loss is.

aelfwe.4239

It does

PS. Calculus is evil!

his “almost” wasnt about limits, his “almost” was like “i havent done a single math but i don’t need math cause i think might dont add so much dmg”

FREE PYRO

aelfwe.4239

That’s not how it works lol. Full ascended zerk with Strength runes + consumables = 2648 power. Meanwhile a staff guard is likely to be running something like 0/0/6/6/2 Clerics (for EM and staff CD).

At 10 in Virtues and with Strength Runes, Empower gives 12 stacks of mgiht for 16.5 seconds every 16 seconds + 3 second channel = 10.4 stacks average = about 365 power gained. That’s a DPS boost of 13.7% to a party with no extra might.

A staff guard in Clerics deals about 10% of a meta zerk warrior’s damage (that’s not a joke) plus he’s channeling Empower about 15% of the time so he’s actually dealing about 8-9% of average damage. Assuming he’s the only non-contributing member that’s a DPS loss of about 90% of 20% of the party’s damage which is an 18% DPS loss. Even if the staff guard was in zerk and running a DPS spec like 2/6/0/4/2 or something he’d still only be hitting 25% of average damage, so it’s still be a overall DPS loss.

That’s assuming he’s the only non-contributing member too, the more useless members there are in the party the bigger the potential DPS loss is.

In fact i havent spoke of consumable cause i DON’T take in addition power from consumable (cause if you want to be OPTIMAL you will use +10% dmg on movement and +10% dmg vs mob kind of the istance and not power foods). xD

Then i’ve spoken of full asc zerk party, i dont know why are you speaking about a cleric guard.

It’s like i say “apple are red” and you reply me “NO!!!!!!!! THAT’S FALSE!!! TREE ARE GREEN”.

Obviusely tree are green but im speaking of apple.

But we can speak of napoleon if you prefer xD

FREE PYRO

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

What color is the red horse of Napoleon?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

But we can speak of napoleon if you prefer xD

There, what did I tell you.
Don’t tell me that smilie doesn’t drive you insane.

Jerus.4350

Lilith the Fashionista

Yeah… and I guess Calc isn’t really evil either, calc is actually easy… It’s the big complicated Algebra problems that you have to apply the calc to that are truly evil.

aelfwe

his “almost” wasnt about limits, his “almost” was like “i havent done a single math but i don’t need math cause i think might dont add so much dmg”

Just had to point it out… alwasy hated limits because it always seemed weird. “Almost is only supposed to work in horseshoes and hand grenades” =)

Aelfwe, care to finish the math though? I’m honestly curious. You have to figure on the guardian’s personal loss as well. 3s of 0 damage for the buff. Then using staff itself for it’s pretty mediocre damage. I believe Obal has posted the expected DPS of some things in this thread including staff vs GS/hammer or GS/SF.

Of course, I would be curious who is running a full zerk group and doesn’t know how to use fire fields =).

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

He was “almost 100% sure”.

Lilith Ajit.6173

@Jerus:

I haven’t found any math hard since my stat therm course

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

@Jerus:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9709356v6.pdf

Lilith Ajit.6173

@Jerus:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9709356v6.pdf

links paper that isn’t finished yet QQ

[ARES]

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

@Jerus:

Great humanity inventions:

1. Air conditioner (as a brazilian, this is important)
2. Matlab
3. Excel

If you can’t solve your problems with these… Good luck!

/thread

Lilith Ajit.6173

@Jerus:

Great humanity inventions:

1. Air conditioner (as a brazilian, this is important)
2. Matlab
3. Excel

If you can’t solve your problems with these… Good luck!

/thread

Matlab random walk 3-D was so hard for me. I’m so sad I’m such a stat therm pleb.

[ARES]

Jerus.4350

@Jerus:

Yeah personally I breezed through math till I hit Calculus, then I actually had to study… I didn’t know how to do that!

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

@Jerus:

Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.

Just don’t.

Don’t speak those words when I’m playing my game. What kind of monster are you?

aelfwe.4239

Aelfwe, care to finish the math though? I’m honestly curious. You have to figure on the guardian’s personal loss as well. 3s of 0 damage for the buff. Then using staff itself for it’s pretty mediocre damage. I believe Obal has posted the expected DPS of some things in this thread including staff vs GS/hammer or GS/SF.

Of course, I would be curious who is running a full zerk group and doesn’t know how to use fire fields =).

Basically 70% of party you find puggin isnt stackin 25 might, i would be curious to know how you guys join pugs party capable to hold 25 mights\25 vulnerability\fury xD

I’m serious about that whenever i have to pug rather than play with my party even puttin “zerk gear check” on lfg i barely see might capped during fights.

I also see vulnerability being often between 10 and 15 while puggin (and that’s even worste cause my aa chain hold up 6 vuln on its own + additional vuln from daze).

Ofc there are still a 30% of times where i find good party but thats minority.

I could be unluck but after 4k hour played i dont think that’s unluck.

Anyway obal build are fine, he made a great job, if you have a good party go with that.

The numbers that he posted and that you are refering are these

http://s27.postimg.org/nf571pco3/guarddps.jpg

There is any number about staff

BUT

You can observe something anyway, standing inside zerk setup the ratio between top result and worst result it’s between 20% and 25%.

We can suppose staff its the worst setup at all (way worste than 25%)

Now if you take into account a 20% more party dps (from 12 additional might stack dont mind the way you get them) and you suppose that everyone in the party is doing the same dmg (and that’s not true, ele and thieves will destroy a guard with a fgs on their hands) the difference of dps between hammer and staff needed to cover that party loss should be around 100%. Basically guard with hammer should do 2xdps of the ele or of the thieves and war to cover by hiself only the dps drop due to lack of party mights.

That is obviusely impossible, no class or build can do this xD

Anyway i dont want to push guardian goin staff cause this ISNT the way.

I want simply to point out fact that when someone pugs should know he is pugging.

Imao a good player who pugs should expect to have worst result rather than being on premade cause he’s puggin.

This means that a good player puggin basically got 5 ways

1)try to teach pugs whenever they kitten up something
2)leave or kick whevenever they kitten up something
3)try to cover hiself the pugs lack (ei. i see we lack 10 might i take inspiration over mantra to 2xmight losing a 4% of personal dps, and i hate to do this but i do)
4)dont pug
5)come on forum and complain “pugs guard use staff”

i think 5th point is nothing more that “acting like a pro” cause it not takes into consideration the difference between puggin and playin on a premade, the right way is the premade one ofc, but its meh to complain pugs to not be as a preamde

FREE PYRO

(edited by aelfwe.4239)

Posted by: oilstorm.1748

oilstorm.1748

It does

PS. Calculus is evil!

Unless you make the colossal mistake of taking a topology or real analysis class, where limits take on a completely different definition. But at that point you dont care because you are too busy trying to kill yourself before the next test.

Lilith Ajit.6173

It does

PS. Calculus is evil!

Unless you make the colossal mistake of taking a topology or real analysis class, where limits take on a completely different definition. But at that point you dont care because you are too busy trying to kill yourself before the next test.

I almost did the RA and topology professor for an A. Well that’s not entirely true. I WANTED to do him. He was yummy.

But instead I took his wife’s fantasy lit course for funnzies in my last semester and she was even yummier. I swear I should have gone into english.

Bauahahaha.

[ARES]

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Basically 70% of party you find puggin isnt stackin 25 might, i would be curious to know how you guys join pugs party capable to hold 25 mights\25 vulnerability\fury xD

I don’t think that anyone is seeing max might/vulnerability in pugs. I often see max fury only because i bring 2min of fury on my ele

But it wasn’t the point. The point was that even if the staff give 12 stack of might to the party. This might only last for 10sec. Meaning that as a guardian, if you are good and have a bit of point in virtues, you will have might only for 1 or 2 attack of melee, the rest you will have it while AA in staff. Overall, your DPS will be A LOT less by using the staff, even if it empower. The only way for that to work well, would be to begin a staff and with immedialy for you GS, H or S/F. But don’t switch in the middle of the fight because that’s bad.

But you can stay, ya but it give might to the rest of the party. Again its only 10sec of might. Most of the time, pugs won’t make a good use of that might (bursting dmg at the moment you have the might) so you AA during the time you have less might. Empower is such a bad way to give might in PvE, that you better just DPS as much as you can, and not waste time on Empower.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Jerus.4350

Good points. Just wanted to comment here. personally I have a few Phalanx warrior buddies who play more than I do, so they’re almost always in the dungeon groups I do. i guess that would take it out of the full PUG situation, but yeah, usually I have someone giving out a LOT of might and what not. Yes, I’m spoiled

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The Obal builds are perfectly valid for pug groups. You have to realize several things about pugs:

1) The average pug does not deal that much damage. Might/vuln/fury are multiplicative buffs that depend on the entirety of the pug’s spec. A max-DPS engineer or GS warrior (which I believe are currently the two highest solo DPS builds) deals about 8k/s. By comparison, based on an assessment of likely pug gear, weapons, and traits, the average pug probably deals between 2-3k. That means that you’re looking at around 10k total DPS from the other four members of a pug.

2) Any support build is going to have a tradeoff in terms of damage, and you also have to look only at the marginal extra support from said build versus a DPS build, not just the total number of might stacks etc. So a Phalanx warrior will give 25 stacks of might, about 5-6 stacks of vuln, banners, some fury, EA. However, a max-DPS warrior will still give about 6 stacks of might (from FGJ and fire field blast), banners, vuln, and fury, so the Phalanx advantage is actually only about 20 might and EA. That’s weighed against the loss in DPS requried to spec Phalanx, so it’s not a unilateral gain.

In this case you’ve got a staff guard stacking, on average, about 10 stacks of might (about 15% DPS boost) and dealing about 2.5k DPS even in the best case scenario (full zerk ascended with DPS traits). Compare that with a DPS engie who could be dealing 8k DPS, 25 vuln and 10 might (worth about 50% DPS boost for an ally in exotic Knight’s gear), or a Phalanx Warrior averaging about 6k DPS and giving all the aforementioned buffs (worth about 100% boost), or a LH ele hitting about 5k DPS with 25 might and fury for an 80% boost, and it’s pretty obvious that staff guard isn’t very good.

Even just looking at guard specs, a hammer guard blasting only in his own fields is getting about 5k DPS, giving about 8 might and 4 vuln. So the staff guard spamming Empower is barely even boosting the party by any more than a DPS guard and he’s losing out on the extra benefits of giving protection, etc..

aelfwe.4239

Good points. Just wanted to comment here. personally I have a few Phalanx warrior buddies who play more than I do, so they’re almost always in the dungeon groups I do. i guess that would take it out of the full PUG situation, but yeah, usually I have someone giving out a LOT of might and what not. Yes, I’m spoiled

Gimme your buddies!!!!

Joking xD

But you hit the point, i’m speaking about full pug situation (i have party but sometimes i’m masochist )

I don’t think that anyone is seeing max might/vulnerability in pugs. I often see max fury only because i bring 2min of fury on my ele

Goal xD

That’s why i don’t like thread like this one

Ofc staff isnt the way, ofc hammer is better, ofc empowerer isnt the way to stack might but what’s they point to open a thread like this one only to complain how bad are guard with staff whenever common pugs party lack of stuff like might\vuln who add many more dmg than every single weapon of the game?

Imao it would be nice to see some thread on forum made to explain to casual player how much important are some things in this game (aka might\fury\vuln) and the way to catch them with best weapon setup (aka hammer) as you do, rather then open a thread that basically say nothing more than “how bad are pug guard they use staff”

Imao a good or experienced player whenever is puggin should accept pug lacks and cover them when possible cause, at the end of the day, you arent forced to pug.

At least none force to pug me wheneve i chose to pug,

my 2 cents

FREE PYRO

(edited by aelfwe.4239)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Imao it would be nice to see some thread on forum made to explain to casual player how much important are some things in this game (aka might\fury\vuln) and the way to catch them with best weapon setup (aka hammer) as you do,

Im not sure and I may be a dash bit too lazy to check but Im reasonably sure atleast for the ele meta guide there is a whole section related to stacking might/fury. I wouldnt be surprised if it were that way for the other professions.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Thaddeus.4891

Ya, plenty of guide out there for people to figure out the best way to play a profession. At least for the most popular. But of course, new player can know which guide to follow. Plenty of bad guide out there and guide like those of Nike (Warrior), Obal (Guardian) and Dekey (Ele) are often view as Elistist or high risk build, even if they pretty much all acknowledge the use of knight gear as a way to learn the base while using a good build.

Disclaimer : I only mentioned Nike, Obal and Dekey because they have popular complete guide that cover several type of build in one guide and are easy to find. Plenty of other great guide out there.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84416-guide-minmax-dungeon-groups-with-any-class-composition/

Something like this?
But honestly, if a player want to know about the mechanics, tactics, whatever (s)he will google it or come to the forums. If not, that guide worth nothing.

Thaddeus.4891

A bit outdated for runes, sigils and trait. But of course that normal in a MMO where there is several change with patch.

The first part is really good for player that want to learn the basis for running a better build and using offensive support in the game.

Dalanor.5387

A bit outdated for runes, sigils and trait. But of course that normal in a MMO where there is several change with patch.

The first part is really good for player that want to learn the basis for running a better build and using offensive support in the game.

Yeah the actual builds are outdated long time ago, but it covers the basics well.
My other personal issue about this, that even the sticky is not enough here and the forums don’t have any dedicated PvE subforum.

aelfwe.4239

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84416-guide-minmax-dungeon-groups-with-any-class-composition/

Something like this?
But honestly, if a player want to know about the mechanics, tactics, whatever (s)he will google it or come to the forums. If not, that guide worth nothing.

Exactly!

i know there are plenty of guides of every classes but i noticed pugs lack more on “general minmaxing party setup” rather than “metabuild”.

Copy and paste a metabuild without a general party knowloedge usually bring to stuff like low mights average etc.

I’m agree about that a player who want to know just need to google it, but we have to not forget that gw2 it’s a casual game with tons of casual gamer who basically totally avoid forum and just play.

In game push them to read about that, they’ll do exactly how they’ve done about metabuilds.

FREE PYRO

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

My main dungeon character is my guardian and I always pug. I have a question for you guys with way more experience than me.

Doesn’t HotW p1 end boss reflect projectiles? I always use staff when going into ranged. I try to stay melee as long as I can, but I always pug and the boss takes too long for me to not make mistakes and stay melee the entire fight.
I always kind of took for granted that the scepter projectiles are reflected in different directions and can hit my party members (at least the animations make it seem like that). I want to avoid that.

Anyway, I have been wondering this for a while. If I go ranged on HotW p1 boss, do I use staff or scepter?
Or if you can give me a way to stay in melee easier, regardless of it being a long fight with pugs, I’d love to be enlightened^^

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

My main dungeon character is my guardian and I always pug. I have a question for you guys with way more experience than me.

Doesn’t HotW p1 end boss reflect projectiles? I always use staff when going into ranged. I try to stay melee as long as I can, but I always pug and the boss takes too long for me to not make mistakes and stay melee the entire fight.
I always kind of took for granted that the scepter projectiles are reflected in different directions and can hit my party members (at least the animations make it seem like that). I want to avoid that.

Anyway, I have been wondering this for a while. If I go ranged on HotW p1 boss, do I use staff or scepter?
Or if you can give me a way to stay in melee easier, regardless of it being a long fight with pugs, I’d love to be enlightened^^

His reflection attack is exactly like rangers off hand axe whirlwind.

what I do:
I stopped ranging all together. you can still hit him in Melee while he spins that its just tricky to learn the distancing, “maximum melee range”. Try it sometime. when he starts spinning dodge back and start inching forward swinging auto until you hit him. but you don’t get hit yourself.

just keep practicing on your spacing, and bask in the awe of the pugs who faceplant while they shoot them selves to death in the face.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

you can still hit him in Melee while he spins that its just tricky to learn the distancing, “maximum melee range”. Try it sometime. when he starts spinning dodge back and start inching forward swinging auto until you hit him. but you don’t get hit yourself.

just keep practicing on your spacing, and bask in the awe of the pugs who faceplant while they shoot them selves to death in the face.

The danger is with PUGs that keep range attacking… while standing behind you.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

you can still hit him in Melee while he spins that its just tricky to learn the distancing, “maximum melee range”. Try it sometime. when he starts spinning dodge back and start inching forward swinging auto until you hit him. but you don’t get hit yourself.

The danger is with PUGs that keep range attacking… while standing behind you.

0.o

… thats why……

Posted by: VideoGamermike.5813

VideoGamermike.5813

Ok, I have to comment on this, it’s been almost a month since coming here last…..is this -still- going?
There are three pages of people trying to define exactly how to use staff guardians for a SINGLE build, as if the only thing that matters is -one- variable(which isn’t even defensible for any problem as complex as this game), or bashing anyone who uses staffs.
Sorry to comment but this is actually funny, its like watching a religious parody directed to a weapon style in a videogame.

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I play ele and it kittenes me off how guardians always drop their symbols when I try to stack might, but instead I blast retal instead. They have their fire fields, why can’t they just use those?

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Because those are utilities and shouts are much more awesome. Don’t forget, they have sound effects!

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Dalanor.5387

Ok, I have to comment on this, it’s been almost a month since coming here last…..is this -still- going?
There are three pages of people trying to define exactly how to use staff guardians for a SINGLE build, as if the only thing that matters is -one- variable(which isn’t even defensible for any problem as complex as this game), or bashing anyone who uses staffs.
Sorry to comment but this is actually funny, its like watching a religious parody directed to a weapon style in a videogame.

Because people, like you, still unwiling to accept the facts we provide, meanwhile people, like you, have no other reason beside “playhowiwant” and “its fun”.
So the question, why should a player use staff outside of TA and grawl fractal instead of any other option? Your turn

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Q: why should a player use staff outside of TA and grawl fractal instead of any other option?
A: might stacking, heals

addendum – might stacking is short duration, ~2,000 party-wide heal is negligible

additional note – stack boon duration and/or healing power to amplify the might duration and heal

additional note #2 – amplifying the effect of staff skills involves making enormous efficiency compromises with your build but players will just see themselves giving their team might and feeling that dealing approximately 10% of the damage of a meta guardian is a worthy trade-off

thank you, carry on.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Dat new bingo line

Jerus.4350

I play ele and it kittenes me off how guardians always drop their symbols when I try to stack might, but instead I blast retal instead. They have their fire fields, why can’t they just use those?

If my fire fields gave perma prot and swiftness I’d be using those for sure. But it’s my hammer auto that lays down a protection symbol almost permanently. And staff symbol gives swiftness.

It’s as frustrating for me as a guardian as it is for you as an ele… i hate it, but there are some very nice benefits to some of these light fields. it’s just very unfortunate that they can be taken over basically any other field as every other field is superior IMO.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

As far as I know, there are still staff guardians in AC, CM, SE, CoF, HotW, CoE and Arah. The situation didn’t change much in one month. So yes.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Jerus.4350

As far as I know, there are still staff guardians in AC, CM, SE, CoF, HotW, CoE and Arah. The situation didn’t change much in one month. So yes.

Hey, back off of staff guards in AC, well at least up until the spider, staff works incredibly well to get a quick spawn of the Queen and pull it in. If you learn the path right you can pop him every time with just a quick circle and staff spam. After that feel free though =b

Fror.2163

Hey, back off of staff guards in AC, well at least up until the spider, staff works incredibly well to get a quick spawn of the Queen and pull it in. If you learn the path right you can pop him every time with just a quick circle and staff spam. After that feel free though =b

Then you are in combat and stuck with staff as alt weapon. No thank you. My sword cleave is good enough for that task.

Jerus.4350

Then you are in combat and stuck with staff as alt weapon. No thank you. My sword cleave is good enough for that task.

For one fight that lasts 5-10s without FGS and like 1-2 with it =b

Very much worthwhile for that individual situation.

Fror.2163

I did that. Or you’re in a pug and you let the ele do it (as for some reasons which remains obscure to me they always volunteer and start clearing as soon as they come in the room).

Jerus.4350

I did that. Or you’re in a pug and you let the ele do it (as for some reasons which remains obscure to me they always volunteer and start clearing as soon as they come in the room).

I’d imagine it’s that a lot of people swap to their Ele’s just for that dungeon as they can basically carry the team. Their whip with dagger/air works quite well, very similar hit radius to staff .

Alwasy happy to let other people cover stuff and sit in my max DPS build, just saying there are a few situations that a staff really shines, that being one.

Fror.2163

It doesn’t shine: it barely glows. A sword can do that too, plus you have access to an extra condi cleanse with focus that you don’t have with staff. And you’re ready in your max dps build.