Item Restrictions in Raids

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Following up on today’s blog post about raid rewards, we wanted to share some details on specific items:

In order to preserve the challenge of raids, we’re disabling the use of a number of items inside raid instances. Many of these restrictions will be familiar, as they’re also disabled in WvW and dungeons. However, we are also disallowing the use of many runes and sigils that provide bonus damage versus particular types of enemies, as well as the potions that give similar effects. Using food and utility buffs inside a raid is perfectly okay, but most other items that give bonus damage or access to new skills beyond your profession have been disabled.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

Wouldn’t it be easier to just give the enemies an enemy type for which there is no slaying sigil?

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Following up on today’s blog post about raid rewards, we wanted to share some details on specific items:

In order to preserve the challenge of raids, we’re disabling the use of a number of items inside raid instances. Many of these restrictions will be familiar, as they’re also disabled in WvW and dungeons. However, we are also disallowing the use of many runes and sigils that provide bonus damage versus particular types of enemies, as well as the potions that give similar effects. Using food and utility buffs inside a raid is perfectly okay, but most other items that give bonus damage or access to new skills beyond your profession have been disabled.

Hey Gaile, nice to hear that you guys are actively making sure people aren’t exploiting raids to get easy wins. I just wanted to ask one thing however.

With the promise of new and improved Fractal rewards that we were told and the poor implementation of it in game, can you reassure the loyal pve hard-core players that the rewards will be well balanced and the chances of getting ascended gear for example is not almost non-existent?

I think with the state of end game pve as it is now (such as bad rewards for fractals, megaserver maps in Maguuma not working properly, very little exp from doing meta events), it might be a good idea for the Anet team to make sure that the bosses are balanced properly and the rewards are obtainable at a reasonable level (considering the difficulty of this new content).

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Fine by me.

15chars

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

Hey Gaile, nice to hear that you guys are actively making sure people aren’t exploiting raids to get easy wins. I just wanted to ask one thing however.

Are you implying with that statement that people who used optimized gear for whatever content they were doing were exploiting?

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

Hey Gaile, nice to hear that you guys are actively making sure people aren’t exploiting raids to get easy wins.

I’m not sure if I read that correctly, but… are you suggesting that using appropriate slaying potions and slaying sigils is exploiting?

@Gaile: Thanks for the heads-up. I think a lot of people were expecting this to happen and in my opinion it’s a good move. All those different potions were cluttering up my inventory far too long anyways

(edited by Skoigoth.9238)

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

You forgot to add that thief class is disabled for raids.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Eight Samurai.6840

Hey Gaile, nice to hear that you guys are actively making sure people aren’t exploiting raids to get easy wins.

I’m not sure if I read that correctly, but… are you suggesting that using appropriate slaying potions and slaying sigils is exploiting?

@Gaile: Thanks for the heads-up. I think a lot of people where expecting this to happen and in my opinion it’s a good move. All those different potions were cluttering up my inventory far too long anyways

No, what I was implying is that their are items in game such as rocks you can buy with karma that you can toss at enemies to knock them down, or potions that transform you to give you different skill bars. That’s the part I’m for removing… the tonics about specific mob slaying, i’m 50/50 with.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

At least, judging by what we’ve seen (not tested b/c bugged) in betas there will be more roles than DPS, regardless of 99% being DPS anyways. 1 extra slot for diversity. Way to go.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Enko.6123

No, what I was implying is that their are items in game such as rocks you can buy with karma that you can toss at enemies to knock them down, or potions that transform you to give you different skill bars. That’s the part I’m for removing… the tonics about specific mob slaying, i’m 50/50 with.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah consumables of various natures are kind of weird. They disabled Spiky Fruit in dungeons and fractals but not the Rocks you buy from Brisban Wildlands for instance. Plenty of other consumables still available for use in instances though I doubt many are even bothering to use them anymore since dungeons aren’t really done anymore and fractals don’t need them now.

As far as the slaying sigils/potions, Anet had said previously that they didn’t like them because they became seen as required gear for X content.

Eight Samurai.6840

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah consumables of various natures are kind of weird. They disabled Spiky Fruit in dungeons and fractals but not the Rocks you buy from Brisban Wildlands for instance. Plenty of other consumables still available for use in instances though I doubt many are even bothering to use them anymore since dungeons aren’t really done anymore and fractals don’t need them now.

As far as the slaying sigils/potions, Anet had said previously that they didn’t like them because they became seen as required gear for X content.

Yes, pretty much what I feel about your last statement is why I’m 50/50. In order to optomize I would have to redo my expensive sigils and runes just to get a tiny bonus. Theoretically, I could do it, but do I really want to, the answer is not at all.

Skoigoth.9238

@Eight Samurai, good, thank you for the clarification. Glad to see that I’m not the only one that got a bit irritated by your comment X)

Eight Samurai.6840

@Eight Samurai, good, thank you for the clarification. Glad to see that I’m not the only one that got a bit irritated by your comment X)

And that’s what happens when you don’t clarify things properly looks at some Anet devs

Enko.6123

Yes, pretty much what I feel about your last statement is why I’m 50/50. In order to optomize I would have to redo my expensive sigils and runes just to get a tiny bonus. Theoretically, I could do it, but do I really want to, the answer is not at all.

I optimize my gear but only replace slaying sigils. This means on my Ele, for example, I’m running a Force+Night Staff, Force+Air, Night+Slaying, and Force+Slaying Staff.

Only needed a night time and day time staff and not the extra slaying stuff frees up some inventory space though I’ll hold on to them for fractals for now unless they go that route in fractals too.

Posted by: Kylindra.1794

Kylindra.1794

Any chance you could let us know what the week boundary for rewards will be? Between Sunday and Monday like guild missions or on Tuesdays like holidays or on Saturdays like WvW?

I’d really like to know for planning purposes, thank you!

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Any chance you could let us know what the week boundary for rewards will be? Between Sunday and Monday like guild missions or on Tuesdays like holidays or on Saturdays like WvW?

I’d really like to know for planning purposes, thank you!

When they changed the mission reset time, they said they did it so that it would align with the raid reset. So, between Sunday and Monday it is.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

So can we get an actual list of items disabled? Or do we just go into the raid and if our gear quits working then find out then….

My guess on disabled items besides the slaying potions/sigils will be:
Day/Night Sigils
Ghost Pepper Poppers
Ogre Runes/ That Flesh Reaver stacking sigil (any others that summon other AI minions)

what else?

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

How about the combat boosters?

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

How about the combat boosters?

I think they’ve previously said those (and revive orbs) will also be disabled.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Balance? Who needs it? Just ban the things you couldn’t test! BRILLIANT! sigh…

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Enko.6123

How are they just banning it? They said way before HoT launched that they didn’t want slaying sigils/potions for HoT.

Enko.6123

So can we get an actual list of items disabled? Or do we just go into the raid and if our gear quits working then find out then….

My guess on disabled items besides the slaying potions/sigils will be:
Day/Night Sigils
Ghost Pepper Poppers
Ogre Runes/ That Flesh Reaver stacking sigil (any others that summon other AI minions)

what else?

All the raids seem to be day time so Night sigils already won’t work.

Now the question is, will force sigils still work?

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Please provide more details. A list would be fantastic <3

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: VladR.9827

VladR.9827

ahahhaaha you have made my day

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Following up on today’s blog post However, we are also disallowing the use of many runes and sigils that provide bonus damage versus particular types of enemies, as well as the potions that give similar effects.

I disagree with this decision. You should allowed them to be use so the demand is more up to par with others runes and sigils. Not make it worth even less than it already is.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

so it’s just force+air meta, whatever. i only hope we get to use consumables like hylek potions, med packs, spy kits etc.

Posted by: NaotsuguLH.8915

NaotsuguLH.8915

Soooo vague. Why not just tell us what items will be restricted? Do we have to go figure it out for ourselves?

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

All slaying VS XX potions = Dead
sigil of the night = probably dead too

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Can you name just one redeemable quality of a Slaying potion and Sigil which only increases the red numbers you see when you hit a monster? What exactly are you so attached to about these things?

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Raid gear the next grind??

I’ve spent hundreds in Gold and the time to get my characters the way I want them. I don’t want to do have to this for each game mode.

Wouldn’t it be more equal and easier to balance if we all used the same (Armor, Weapons, Runes, etc) for all content.

Banning in game gear to play in game content makes no sense. Is this really the best way to balance the game???

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

I’ve spent hundreds in Gold and the time to get my characters the way I want them. I don’t want to do have to this for each game mode.

You spent hundreds of gold on Sigil of Grawl Slaying? I’m sorry to be the first to tell you this my friend, but you were ripped off.

Posted by: Liquicity.3621

Liquicity.3621

Well that’s the first time i’ve blown milk out of my nose since grade school. +1

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

MTX Combat Boosters – Speed, Might, Regen, Swim Speed (ect)
Food/Utility with +%Damage vs Monster Type – These will not have any benefit
Pet Consumables – Ogre Pet Whistle, Fire Elemental Powder (ect) will be disabled
Sigils of +%Damage vs Monster Type- These will not have any benefit
Sigils of Night – This will not have any benefit
Costume Brawl – Costume Brawl Pet summons will be disabled

I might have missed some things here, but you get the picture. Feel free to ask about specific items, however if they are likely to add a edge to combat, they are likely disabled.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

, however if they are likely to add a edge to combat, they are likely disabled.

Sounds like everything is disabled then.

Posted by: Tossed Fish.7380

Tossed Fish.7380

Wait Gaile,

So this sigil I data mined not going to work in raids? Based on the beta raid, it seemed really appropriate as to why anet put this sigil into the game.

Now what am I going to use on my offhand weapon?

Anet pls.

Attachments:

Tossed Fish//Necromancer
Valkyria Immortalis [VLK]

Posted by: perry.9645

perry.9645

Sigils of Day/Night – These will not have any benefit

does this mean Sigil of Force?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Just remove all potions and slaying sigils.

Skoigoth.9238

Force also works at nighttime though, would be a… rather interesting choice of words if this really was referring to Sigil of Force.

@Chris: What about Skale Venom and Experimental Remnant? Since they are more or less regular food/nourishment they should be allowed, right?

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Although it’s not stated either way, it should be ok as it’s only 5% and more in line with other things, otherwise if force isn’t allowed, then malice/bursting/air probably shouldn’t either, along with pretty much every single other sigil. Sigil of night for instance is 10% force is only 5.

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

So what about sigil of force? that’s pretty expensive and it’s not even OP

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

Sigil of Force is fine.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its a fair decision to disable slaying and night. Ive never liked what those do. They force you to get hundreds of different versions of the same weapons/pots just to min/max. This is a welcome change.

Id also be in favour of you removing them completely from the game. And maybe replacing them with a universal 10% pot and 10% sigil. Or just give us some better options in addition to force. I dont like air. I want something that makes more sense in PvE like 10% crit damage.

Sublimatio.6981

I might have missed some things here, but you get the picture. Feel free to ask about specific items, however if they are likely to add a edge to combat, they are likely disabled.

I’d like to know if you disable:
- pots of hylek poison
- medical packs
- power matrix/boulder/spikeroot fruits
- golem in a box
- underwater net
- all spy kits and harpy feathers
- birthday blaster?
- food with %dmg when moving (seaweed salad, experimental remnants)
- toilet papers

Thanks

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I fully expect everything asked about in this thread will be added to the disabled list if it wasnt already.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Sublimatio.6981

but what if i suddenly need to use toilet paper?

Skoigoth.9238

but what if i suddenly need to use toilet paper?

Then you’ll better find some leaves before it’s too late.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

That toilet paper will be important to wipe the tears away.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

How are they just banning it? They said way before HoT launched that they didn’t want slaying sigils/potions for HoT.

And yet fractal potions….

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

And yet fractal potions….

Please don’t complain, otherwise they’ll take them away and high scales will take even longer.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

fair enough.
char 15