Thank you so much for this.

I am a tank at heart.
Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing here…

Raid team introductions?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

Anything else you feel like sharing!
Fun fact, during the WvW Adopt a Dev program both guilds that I joined ended up disbanding during the event.

I was ecstatic when you guys did the Adopt-a-Dev Program, even more so when you chose us at [Nob]. It was great to have you along, however short lived it was. It is a shame that we imploded the next week. Thank you for remembering us.

It is great to see/read more about the Human side of Anet and the game that many of us still enjoy.

Raid Hype~

Teh Ouchies

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I’d like to be the first person to say WELCOME and I’m sorry. Hopefully most of you have jobs lined up, anet doesn’t have a good history with their pve content teams

And I think it’s safe to say that those decisions blew up in their faces…big time.

Here’s hoping they learned a lesson from that.

#InstancedPvEMatters

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

What feature of Raids are you most excited about?
The tears. Honestly, I’m excited about pretty much everything.

MY BODY IS READY

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: TirzahBauer

Previous

TirzahBauer

Environment Artist

Next

What’s your name?

• Tirzah!

What do you do at ArenaNet?

• I’m an environment artist, I make the worlds that your characters run around in. So I was involved in creating the look and feel of this first wing of raids.

• Watching people troubleshoot and figure out different ways of getting past epic content. Really looking forward to some livestreams.

What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids?

• Trying to figure out who was crippling a certain type of enemy after repeated wipes and Byron yelling at us all (in a good way).

Anything else you feel like sharing

• I had a lot of fun on this project. Working closely with designers as an artist to make something epic and fun is a real treat.
  • Oh, and my aura-sharing Tempest healer is crazy fun >.>

(edited by TirzahBauer.7238)

Raid team introductions?

dlonie.6547

Hmm, all this talk of crippling has me interested…sounds as if crippling a certain boss makes them more powerful.

Ah, got it! Did you guys give a boss a pre-nerf FGS? :P

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Hmm, all this talk of crippling has me interested…sounds as if crippling a certain boss makes them more powerful.

They just slapped in a few teragriffs and made them gain 25 might from being crippled.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

This topic is so full of win! Thank you OP for creating it, and thank you developers for playing along.

Crystal, I can’t say how much I appreciate your post. And I would like to highlight this:

What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids?
Getting ready to pull Gorseval during nightly raid, Byron being salty about us repeatedly wiping , and saying on TS before the pull “Byron you’re going to need a glass of water to lower those sodium levels”, which caused everyone to laugh so hard we failed to kill one of the walls and wiped.

This is almost the reason alone I play these games. My previous Raid friends were so funny I literally had to stand up and walk a little bit so I would recuperate my breath. All that because of Raids. If you can bring that back… well… <3

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

They just slapped in a few teragriffs and made them gain 25 might from being crippled.

Not funny =__=

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

I make internet dragons. .

Best one liner ever! I wish I could put that on my resume.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

What’s your name?
Bobby Stein

I’m the Lead Narrative Designer (formerly known as Lead Writer). I work with narrative folk, designers, artists, audio engineers, and programmers to bring out the story in our game. It’s a collaborative effort from concept to completion, and I’m honored to work with such awesome people on a daily basis. I mostly help or collaborate with others on polishing and presenting story ideas inside our game. The work is a mix of technical and creative, with management responsibilities thrown in for good measure.

I’ve been with ArenaNet for about a decade and have worked on just about every title and release. (My invisible beard is long.)

What has been your involvement with Raids?
Writing scripts, consulting on VO sessions, and working with the team to present the narrative bits in new ways that synchronize with gameplay, art, and audio. Basically, working with the awesome folks on this team to deliver a story that’s fitting for this kind of content, while trying to innovate in the process.

We’re trying an evolved approach to how, when, and where the characters speak inside raids. Really interested to hear player feedback from the beta, because we’re doing some exciting new things with our narrative tech that deviate a bit from how we do things inside story instances. Also working with artists to tell visual stories.

I have a few!

I sat in on one of the internal play sessions. Everyone in the raid squad was busy setting up their characters for the upcoming fight but one person started walking around inspecting stuff. Then, above the usual chatter, she said, “Hey! My character just said something cool when I [redacted]!”

When I later explained to the team that we were experimenting with ways to mix up the dialog, and that in one particular case there were something like 3 dozen possible combinations a player could hear when X happens, they smiled. Small things like that make me very happy. There are a lot of little details with how we’re presenting this stuff that hopefully add up to form an immersive, satisfying experience.

Lastly, there was this one time where I was running around the map inside an area that Tirzah had recently arted, and I noticed that she added some new props where we had placed an interactive gadget. At first I didn’t really think about what I was looking at, but when I realized that the objects and their placement told a mini story about how that stuff got there, I gave her a high five over Communicator. (I won’t spoil what it was. You’ll have to find it—and all the other cool things that are scattered around—when the first wing releases.)

What was your favorite encounter from the existing dungeon/fotm content? Why?
Running with an experienced party who didn’t mind showing a less-experienced player (a.k.a. me) how to beat Caudecus’s Manor. Disclosure: I’m not a hardcore dungeon runner or raider, so being on this team has been really educational!

This is a great team and I’m honored to be a part of it. Special shout out to Charlie, our Content Programmer, on all his wonderful work and input in building a lot of these narrative bits.

(edited by BobbyStein.2315)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Vyce.2014

Vyce.2014

I could be wrong, but it seems like someone at Anet decided to encourage the raid team to post in this thread. Of course it’s possible that each individual is posting of their own accord. Regardless, the flood of employee tags in this thread is really great to see. I hope Anet recognizes the positive response I know they’ll receive for such simple communication. Furthermore, I really hope this encourages the leadership to mandate more community interactions. This kind of thing really is great for the health of the game and community.

cheers

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Lytalm.5673

Lytalm.5673

I could be wrong, but it seems like someone at Anet decided to encourage the raid team to post in this thread. Of course it’s possible that each individual is posting of their own accord. Regardless, the flood of employee tags in this thread is really great to see. I hope Anet recognizes the positive response I know they’ll receive for such simple communication. Furthermore, I really hope this encourages the leadership to mandate more community interactions. This kind of thing really is great for the health of the game and community.

cheers

I’d say it’s probably Gaile

Les Pirates du Styx [xQcx]
Fort Aspenwood

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Previous

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I could be wrong, but it seems like someone at Anet decided to encourage the raid team to post in this thread. [snip]

It’s pretty simple, you all wanted to know who we are, and we’re big on peer pressure here so we’ll see who else we can force ask to respond as well.

Raid team introductions?

dlonie.6547

I could be wrong, but it seems like someone at Anet decided to encourage the raid team to post in this thread. [snip]

It’s pretty simple, you all wanted to know who we are, and we’re big on peer pressure here so we’ll see who else we can force ask to respond as well.

heh heh heh heh heh….good.

<3

Looking forward to the more dynamic elements that are going into the raid story! Sounds like these should be a significant improvement on the first generation of instances.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Colin

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

When you have something to sell, communication is wide and open. How long after launch before it goes back to the usual silence, and even ban on talking with the playerbase?

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

When you have something to sell, communication is wide and open. How long after launch before it goes back to the usual silence, and even ban on talking with the playerbase?

This is the salt free zone, lets take it to the other threads

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Kuro.4791

Kuro.4791

I just go Heart of Thorns just because the Dev communication on this thread, fun read and seeing what people (like Jason Reynold) is involved in this I think I got covered as a hardcore player with raids.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: StevenWaller.5132

Previous

StevenWaller.5132

Associate Game Director

Next

What’s your name?
Steven

What do you do at ArenaNet? (Descriptions of the work you do are preferred over just a job title!)
I work with cross-discipline teams to help them make the best possible releases we can. I previously worked on the original Halloween and Wintersday in 2012, the Molten Weapons Facilities, Labyrinthine Cliffs, Tower of Nightmares, all of Season 2 Living World and the new Lion’s Arch.

I’m the team’s Product Owner. It’s a combination of helping keep things moving forward and staying out of the way.

What feature of Raids are you most excited about? (Obviously just the bits you’re authorized to talk about!)
I’m looking forward to players having moments when they know something bad is about to happen if they don’t react in time and everyone’s voices raise a notch in anticipation. It’s at those times you can almost see our designers standing in the wings with their buckets ready to collect tears.

What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids? (Obviously no spoilers! )
Trying to make the glider getaway you see in the raids trailer and instead falling to my death and having to shamefully admit “Bad down!”

The Molten Furnace. I’m obviously biased.

The team has been working hard to make something that we really hope you enjoy. Thanks for all your passion for GW2!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Anandira.8756

Anandira.8756

What a fantastic initiative Nice to meet you all and read about your in game stories, it’s always a great feeling for us to see how much passion your guys are putting into it.

Recruiting for raid team here.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Syerr.6285

Syerr.6285

It’s always nice to see developers communicating with players.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Issildia.1289

Issildia.1289

What a excellent idea for a thread, and what great responses from the developers! It’s so nice to hear from you guys in person about the new content.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world:
Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

This is like the most red-post topic ever! Nice reads.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

Holy moly this thread, dlonie is the real MVP.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Hokie.1045

Hokie.1045

Great thread and super fun to read the responses! Thank you devs for participating!

[KI] Ferguson’s Crossing
~Hokie —
~Red Kiwi

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: GM Awesomeness

Previous

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

Next

What’s your name?

• I’ll never tell!

What do you do at ArenaNet? (Descriptions of the work you do are preferred over just a job title!)

• I work in Customer Support doing a bunch of back-end stuff. I’m the one that makes sure your tickets get to the GMs and their replies get to you. I also handle the support website and various other Support-related stuffs.

• Cannon fodder! I’m on one of the 10-person test teams. We raid together for a few hours every day and wipe constantly. It’s great!

What feature of Raids are you most excited about? (Obviously just the bits you’re authorized to talk about!)

• Getting to raid again (I ran a casual raiding guild in WoW and miss the comraderie that comes with constant wiping and fleeting triumph). Other than that, I was really wowed by Tirzah’s beautiful environments. “Tongue boss” and the area leading up to him are my favorite.

What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids? (Obviously no spoilers!)
A few of my favorites:

• Watching Chris Cleary break things and send the devs into a flurry
  • Learning fun little ways to die like “butt cleave,” “rock boss,” and glider fails
  • Being dynamic (this is our raid leader’s term for recovering from horrible mistakes)

• Probably the kitty golems, because they are highly amusing. MEOW!

• I know that it’s impossible to please everyone with raids, but I hope the countless hours that literally hundreds of people have put in to this project will shine through and make it a great experience. Remember that what you see in the Beta isn’t finished, and what you see at launch will also be tweaked going forward. And above all else, embrace the wipe.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

“Being dynamic” lol

(edited by Tom Yzf.5872)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

I think I’ll use the term being dynamic while playing games with my friends from now on. Thanks for that. :^)

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Are we going to need to unlock gliding to access or complete the raid beta?

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Andrew.5468

Andrew.5468

What’s your name?
Andy
I worked on creature skills and other game systems largely involved with PvE combat (i.e. sidekicking and stuff like that) for several years. Most recently, I was responsible for the Mordrem in Dry Top and Silverwastes and I got to design the Wyvern skills before moving off to the rewards team. I’ve worked on the Map Bonuses system and Precursor crafting in HoT.
I’m the guy designing and setting up the rewards.
I’m really looking forward to having content that is really challenging and seeing the unexpected ways that everyone finds to beat it.
What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids? (Obviously no spoilers! )
In a test of a prototype boss encounter, due to some of the mechanics of the fight, I accidentally stomped Chris Cleary’s character.
Molten Boss Fractal – because it rewards situational awareness and paying attention to the boss skills

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Paul Ella

Previous

Paul Ella

Producer

Next

You will not need gliding to complete the encounter. Gliding would be helpful to explore some of the other areas after you have defeated the boss – but it’s not entirely necessary.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: GM Awesomeness

Previous

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

Next

Later encounters will require gliding, but the one you’ll see in the Beta doesn’t.

Another thing I’d like to add that I’ve really enjoyed – getting better at playing my character. I’d never really done a deep dive into different builds before, and it was fun to play around with the different ways to optimize. I hope raids will provide motive and opportunity for more casual players to explore some of those intricacies and find a new way to enjoy the depth of this game.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Thanks y’all was trying to get this confirmed before all of my team gathered for the raid tonight. Looking forward to what you got in store for us tonight.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Naleth.6214

Naleth.6214

Just wanted to say thanks for making this thread and thanks to all the devs for responding, it makes this community seem so fun and interactive. Thank you

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

GUYS GUYS GUYS

Dances/animation as raid rewards.

EH EH?

So, maybe. . . HOW TO DANCE VOLUME 2.

Yeah? Right. Looking forward to it.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: AndrewMcLeod

Previous

AndrewMcLeod

Game Designer

Next

What’s your name?
Andy
I worked on creature skills and other game systems largely involved with PvE combat (i.e. sidekicking and stuff like that) for several years. Most recently, I was responsible for the Mordrem in Dry Top and Silverwastes and I got to design the Wyvern skills before moving off to the rewards team. I’ve worked on the Map Bonuses system and Precursor crafting in HoT.
I’m really looking forward to having content that is really challenging and seeing the unexpected ways that everyone finds to beat it.
In a test of a prototype boss encounter, due to some of the mechanics of the fight, I accidentally stomped Chris Cleary’s character.
Molten Boss Fractal – because it rewards situational awareness and paying attention to the boss skills

And this time from the correct account

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

Fantastic thread, and a very very epic welcome to the raids team and all of ANet who is involved

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

Nice to see all the raid devs gather and tell a bit about their awesome jobs. Strength in numbers!

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

Raid team introductions?

dlonie.6547

I ended up getting into a raid instance during the last window that the squad UI was up, but I couldn’t get the rest of my party in before it was broken again. It didn’t kick me out when the UI was disabled, so I’ve just been exploring around solo.

Not much of a spoiler below, but just in case anyone is super fickle, I’ll tag it anyway

The new dynamic dialog is nice, it adds a more immersive feel that was absent in a lot of the earlier content. I appreciate the small hidden jumping puzzle, too. I won’t give much away, but it was hidden (yet easily discoverable if you’re used to looking for these things) and tricky enough (in a “That can’t be how they really want you to get there…it shouldn’t work” way) that it reminded me of goating in other dungeons. Thanks for that. It’s not as much fun as actual map breaking, but it’s cool that you guys picked up on how much some of us enjoyed that (now pls take down the invis walls in Arah thx). I hope there are more of these, and if so, I’d suggest making them larger and always accessible without a party (goating isn’t really a good group activity IMO).

Sorry for all of the parenthesis…it’s late, and I’m too tired to write any better than this :-P

That’s all for now, I gotta go, those pocket raptors keep respawning and interrupting me….

tl;dr Thumbs up on the narrative improvements and level design. Can’t wait to get a party in here to try out the encounter.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: NACotser.4125

NACotser.4125

Nice to meet all you guys, nice to see all the positive responses, great idea dlonie

2Hairy = 2Scary
B)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Hennessey.2985

Hennessey.2985

This is the best thread this forum has seen in ages. Nicely done.

Gnome Child [Gc]

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

tl;dr Thumbs up on the narrative improvements and level design. Can’t wait to get a party in here to try out the encounter.

Thank you for the kind words!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

This thread wins the internet. So much awesomeness.
And greetings to all the devs.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: inactivehyperaddict.6759

inactivehyperaddict.6759

@Andy

aha! so you’re the rng lord!!!