Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

If you guys aren’t trolling me, I’ll help with testing. For the love of god take fortifying bond (pet gets no boons w/o it due to boon cap of 5). And don’t put stats in marks unless you need vuln from the ranger imho, instead take beastmastery. Pretty sure sigil of strength + fortifying bond+ precision+companions might is perma 25 might on pet. At least that’s what I would try first. Brazil, why am I being serious about ranger in dungeon speed right now? Lawl

Dare to dream!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: zoran.4826

zoran.4826

Since combined damage of player and pet put it on par with other classes fixing this is as simple as making your dodges give pet 1sec evade that way player skill dictates pet survivability

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

How about bosses with AoE, your frost spirit is as good as dead while banners still stand in the ground, also pet is very difficult to keep alive (though its possible)

As I said, to deal good dps with ranger is just a way to situational, at CoE you’ll probably loose your endurance damage boost, frost spirit and pet.

If they boost spirits and make pet dodge when master dodges ranger maybe become more useful one day.
(https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Suggestion-on-spirits)

And that’s situations where the theory is pretty much useless.

Frost spirit has quite some range, you dont have to plunk it down just below boss as I see most people doing.

Pets arent quite as difficult to keep alive, it just takes some getting used to the concept of having a part of your character you have to watch out too and that isnt always at your side.
As I said before: switch your pet when its getting low on health and no heal is ready.
The only part of this game where I dont care if my pet dies or not because it’s dead most of the time anyway is maw with jade maw targetting pet. And even then Im rather switching it before it gets killed when possible.

What you are describing is exactly what I see 90% of all rangers doing. It’s sad, but true that most rangers are just bad at playing ranger and should play warrior. The same with eles btw.

But that doesnt mean ranger as a class is bad. Or cant do dps. It just means you havent played with a really good ranger yet.

Until about 4 months ago I was in a guild with a really good necro and ranger. Always did my dungeon runs with them. Both tried switching to warrior because it became fotm, and we realized, it doesnt make a big difference at all. They played their warriors good also, but got bored by it.
With 2/3 warrior, 1 guardian, 1 mesmer we had to play differently as a group, same as we had to play differently with 1 necro, 1 ranger, 1 guardian, 1 mesmer and X (most of the time staff ele btw). Daily fractal runs didnt take us any longer with non-fotm setup, we didnt die more often with warrior setup. The only difference was both new warriors complaining in voice chat about how bored they are.

So no, having actually done lots of dungeon runs with a well played ranger, necro and staff ele, I dont agree with any of those pseudo-tests posted here trying to make ranger look bad.
My test shows that raw dps is the same. Warrior has hb, ranger has lb2+5. Warrior has banner, ranger has spotter+frost spirit, and so on… we can keep on comparing things, you can keep on pointing out flaws, I can keep on telling you how to circumvent those, and this can go on and on for days/weeks.

Result would still be the same… most rangers just simply cant play their class to maximize output, same btw with any other class.

So yes, you are right:
bad ranger dps < bad warrior dps

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Your friends simply haven’t been able to play warrior properly if there was no feelable difference.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Yasi.9065

Oh, and you are in a position to judge this? How?

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Because he plays with people who can play warrior properly

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Because a billion videos and pictures have been posted showing how awful ranger DPS is.

Look, we want ranger DPS fixed. They do more damage with conjured weapons and WARRIOR BANNERS. It’s not a skill issue, an untrained monkey could bring down more DPS with a full zerker warrior than some hardcore gw2 master with 4k+ hours could with a zerker ranger.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Yasi.9065

But this thread isnt about warrior, it is about ranger dps, the mexican cookie.

Colesy, I havent seen a single video of those posted here – and I watched it all, cringed a lot – showing a good ranger.

The only thing those videos show is that ranger is hard to play and warrior is easy. No argument there.

/edit:
Im done here. Read my test results and think about it. Stop insulting people you dont even know, nevermind having played with them. Keep on doing your little tests to underline your preconceived opinions, thereby coloring your own test results.
Lvl2 rangers? Please, I would have been ashamed to even dream up such a test.

(edited by Yasi.9065)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

And ranger DPS is bad. They do more damage with warrior banners.

There is a problem, it must be fixed. It is not the skill of the player which is the problem, it is Anet completely shafting rangers.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

zoran.4826

The problem is the ranger class designer. He thinks all is well. The real question is how is the community going to remind him that his control freak mind created this class for us to play any play style we choose.

I deleted my ranger while ago when I got tired of hopping around with my sword. No biggie when they fix it it takes 3 hours and some gold in a crafting area to make and gear a new 80 hunter.

Ranger who can’t use a rifle and ranged dps is less than Mele, what a joke

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Dub.1273

That “profession xxx isn’t bad, it’s just the players” is really old. And only particulary true. There are no “good” (my consideration) ranger players. Any “good” player will see how bad that class is and reroll.

Also, this thread is about ranger dps. And to measure if ranger dps is good or bad you have to compare it to other professions. And when you compare it to warrior dps you see that ranger dps is terrible. And everyone but kittened people agree on this.

Dub | [rT]

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

That’s the attitude that bothers me, Dub. The idea that a person who prefers that archetype cannot be hardcore or good at the game by definition. Just to be clear you’re only talking pve, right? Even so, it bothers me. Look at Skady Valda. She has more PvE proficiency than everyone I personally know (she knows every boss fight perfectly, never dies, rarely loses pets, leads guild missions perfectly, etc), with 6 world completions and 12 legendary weapons, I dare say she is both good and hardcore, as well as a trading post genius.

Also, I might add that (in response to your assertion that every test shows awful dps), none of your compatriots took fortifying bond or really theorcrafted much at all. They even admit that several times. It’s hard to fairly compare a perfected speed run to a team comp that’s not even close to optimized. I’m not saying ranger would end up attractive at the end, I’m just saying, you know…do a fair comparison and invite people like me who know what they’re doing with the class. That is all, also, for the record, I’m a fan of what dnt does. Good luck out there fellas, let me know if you want to try some real tests. If DnT doesn’t want to help, I’m willing to theorycraft ranger with anyone out of joy of the game.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Almdudler.8621

Almdudler.8621

Frost spirit has quite some range, you dont have to plunk it down just below boss as I see most people doing.

Yes true, still spirits lack too much imo and even if put aside they are likely to die. Though I haven’t tried so much with them.

Until about 4 months ago I was in a guild with a really good necro and ranger. Always did my dungeon runs with them. Both tried switching to warrior because it became fotm, and we realized, it doesnt make a big difference at all. They played their warriors good also, but got bored by it.

I got the complete different experience, I mained a ranger for myself for 1k hours, tried different stuff and after I learned to play guard and warrior I felt a lot more useful for the whole team. I wouldn’t say of myself that I’m the best über-ranger in this game but I find it quite difficult to stay alive at fotm 48+ if I go melee. If I go with lb its more of a faceroll game, but I feel useless then because my warrior can go melee provide nice buffs, survive easier and do a giant load of damage.

Its true, ranger dps is not bad, but as you said there are alot of kitten “1” shortbow rangers out there. And a good warrior outdamages a good ranger imo by far (maybe not in this theory crafting where you hit a non-attacking robot but in real situations) .

(edited by Almdudler.8621)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

zoran.4826

The thing is you expect certain things when you play a class. Nobody can out block a guardian. Shouldn’t a war be top Mele damage as well as thief The names scream Mele dps.

Now ranger nobody would expect their ranged dps to suck. And I’m sure no one saw needing to keybind pet commands to have a hope of keeping them alive either. Seeing that the top damage is an auto attack Mele that roots you, so turn auto off that and try to time when to hit so you can still dodge if needed kills even that dps.

Forgive me but its obvious that the guy in charge of this class was passed over when he went for the guardian class designer job. I’d say the same thing I’d tell a sad mc Donald’s worker. Sorry you don’t like your job, but do it right or quit I’m hungry.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

but isn’t optimal and min/maxing supposed to be very focused in accomplishing the fastest and most efficient speed runs?

Yes, however in the case of the current ‘meta’, it isn’t really unconditionally optimal. Well, I guess it depends on how you define optimal for yourself. The current standard for dungeons works exceptionally when used by players who are capable to run it properly. However, due to the nature of the build(s), it’s less catering to players who are perhaps new to the game or just less competent. For these people, it could be more optimal for them to bring more defense and less offense, as they’ll potentially spend less time wiping due to missing a dodge or w/e.

op·ti·mal

Adjective
Best or most favorable; optimum.

That is a really good point actually and one that I’ve generally avoided in all these discussions thus far. From a player-centered POV, optimal is whatever gets you through the dungeon the fastest, and if you’re having trouble in melee and spending more time as a Floorior than on your feet, then it could easily be that your clear time is shortened by being back at range with engineer or ranger.

However, I think myself and most folks when discussing “optimal” meta groups are discussing a dungeon-centered POV, where we ask what group can clear this dungeon the fastest. In that case the evidence is clear- ranger, engy and necro are not invited.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

Do you feel ranger has been adequately tested, though? Again, I’m surprised no one took fortifying bond or did the perma 25 might stacks on pet thing. No frost spirits were used. I’m not saying ranger would come out on top, I am saying that DnT’s tests to date have been far less than optimal, as you fellas define the word yourself.

Note: fortifying bond (ranger/pet boon sharing) is the only way to ensure pets are getting boons due to the limit to 5 players on aoe boons

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

No frost spirits were used.

Just a kind of a cool thing; when we did our Lupicus test with feedback, we had a ranger who used that spirit. Managed to get a 40k feedback proc :P

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

Chopps: peronally I feel like those vouching for the ranger should be organizing their own tests and as of yet they have failed to demonstrate their claims. With the preponderance of evidence towards warrior groups being the fastest clearing groups, the burden really does lie on the rangers at this point.

However, since we’re actually getting around to scientifical discussions here, I’d be willing to help test out. I’m not the best player but I do have both warrior and ranger in full zerk at 80. If you’ll arrange a null hypothesis and testing scenario, I’d be glad to participate (and record, my comp can capture pretty well with Afterburner).

From Guang’s claim, it sounds like a decent test would be a series of CoF/1 runs of 4W/1M versus 3R/1W/1M. If you’d like to propose any other test, feel free.

(edited by Broadicea.8294)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Almdudler.8621

However, since we’re actually getting around to scientifical discussions here, I’d be willing to help test out.

Dito

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

I would but every time I ask people kind of laugh, which is understandable. Few people enjoy ranger in dungeons like me…at least in a hardcore sense. I am asking people to do it here. Just keep in mind that DPS tests to date with ranger aren’t optimized, that’s all I can really ask of people to remember, at least until someone actually decides to take it seriously. Again, if anyone is interested, PM me and I will be glad to help. finally, I would be surprised if the potential ranger team comps looked competitve, nevertheless, it is still good to know precisely where ranger stands.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I don’t know.
It kind of depends if your null hypothesis is meant to be self-enclosed to the speedrun farming meta or if you mean to extrapolate larger implications for dunning running as a whole? Two totally different kinds of tests, there.

Even then, critical hits and weapon variability and the daunting human factor is enough of a swing that you should really be focusing on statistical significance. It’s just too easy to find correlations in smaller population sizes.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

Ok great, looks like we have 3 people willing to give it a go. I can probably play in roughly 6 to 8 hours (on “vacation” suffering severe gw2 withdrawl) so I’ll message you guys in game then to try and get this organized. Also, I can record

Edit: in light of vox’s and broad’s observations, we likely cannot claim perfection but hey, it’s still worth a shot right?

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

Well here’s mine so far, the only thing I have not exotic are my weapons so if you’ll let me know what weapons I should get and what trait and utility setup to use then it’s all about running a few times for practice.

Attachments:

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Almdudler.8621

Ok great, looks like we have 3 people willing to give it a go. I can probably play in roughly 6 to 8 hours (on “vacation” suffering severe gw2 withdrawl) so I’ll message you guys in game then to try and get this organized. Also, I can record

Edit: in light of vox’s and broad’s observations, we likely cannot claim perfection but hey, it’s still worth a shot right?

Sounds fair, I can spent some gold on re-gearing its no problem if the costs are reasonable to a point. Also I’m EU bound.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

I don’t know.
It kind of depends if your null hypothesis is meant to be self-enclosed to the speedrun farming meta or if you mean to extrapolate larger implications for dunning running as a whole? Two totally different kinds of tests, there.

Even then, critical hits and weapon variability and the daunting human factor is enough of a swing that you should really be focusing on statistical significance. It’s just too easy to find correlations in smaller population sizes.

If rangers contribute more DPS than warriors then replacing warriors with rangers should yield a statistically significant reduction in average dungeon run time. If they are statistically equal (or at least within the margin of error for our measurements), there should be no perceivable difference. If they’re much worse (my vote though I’ll try not to taint the measurements) then there should be a significant increase in run time.

And if we really do settle on CoF/1 as the proving ground, note that 8 minutes versus 6 minutes is not trivial.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

It’s hard to say without a few tests, to be honest. Because I strongly feel that 0/25/0/15/30 is highest DPS…I’d say the rangers should all have longbow BUT only for the first attack to stack vuln. After vuln is maxed (three hunter’s shots), they should switch to sword/warhorn or sword/axe. With full zerk and companion’s might (adept, skirmishing), as well as sigil of strength on sword, you get boon sharing and might procs such that the cat will get 25 stacks might capped out. If Master’s Bond can be preloaded and frost spirits stack (do they stack?) I can see lupicus dying surprisingly quickly. I mean, frost spirit keeps buffing that mesmer reflect…even after crit chance and crit dmg is basically maxed out. That’s where I would start.

Edit: runes of scholar for max dps assuming you can keep up health, if not, rune of ranger is better.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

I don’t know.

If rangers contribute more DPS than warriors then replacing warriors with rangers should yield a statistically significant reduction in average dungeon run time. If they are statistically equal (or at least within the margin of error for our measurements), there should be no perceivable difference. If they’re much worse (my vote though I’ll try not to taint the measurements) then there should be a significant increase in run time.

And if we really do settle on CoF/1 as the proving ground, note that 8 minutes versus 6 minutes is not trivial.

I was thinking arah path 3 and some fractal 48 bosses. I can fill the roll of anything but the ranger.

For arah path 3
Guardian, Mesmer, 2 Rangers, 1 Engineer
vs
Guardian, Mesmer, 2 Warriors, 1 Elementalist

For fractal bosses
2 Guardians, 2 Rangers, 1 Engineer
vs
what I had for my videos

(edited by obal.3218)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Statistical significance just says there’s a good reason to believe the results you see don’t result from chance and would happen again even if you ran the test a bazillion more times.

As it only proves a repeat of the same test, it only applies to exactly what you’re testing. I’d recommend to save yourself some headache, choose a Null hypothesis that’s centered on CoF and interpret the results to apply for CoF. You can still make assumptions about what you think might happen in other dungeons (and it would be reasonable to a certain extent). But, just be aware it’s not possible for the data you’re collecting to prove or disprove anything about larger dungeonplay unless you actually go run all the dungeons.

I imagine that’s probably not much of a big deal, given the meta’s all about farming one path anyway. Just keep things like this in mind so you put together a good Null Hypothesis and understand what exactly the results can tell you.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Just don’t over-do it. Even with one Ranger getting comparable time would be an achievement.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

I was thinking arah path 3 and some fractal 48 bosses. I can fill the roll of anything but the ranger.

For arah path 3
vs

For fractal bosses
vs
what I had for my videos

I would agree with this, it seems fair and the longer length of arah p3 compared to CoF would make any difference more readily observable.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

It’s hard to say without a few tests, to be honest. Because I strongly feel that 0/25/0/15/30 is highest DPS..

Is there any agreement? Yasi suggested 30/30/5/X earlier with GS/LB. I’d like to know what Guang thinks is the trait setup that will out-DPS a warrior.

Hate to waste my time doing this for people to just say YOU DID IT WRONG! but that’ll happen anyway, so maybe it doesn’t matter.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

30 in marks is a waste imho bc power scales poorly; only take that if you’re lackig vulnerability. Use the precision to proc companions might, I feel Guang is misinformed, much like the rest of you have said about him. Sorry guang

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Dub.1273

That’s the attitude that bothers me, Dub. The idea that a person who prefers that archetype cannot be hardcore or good at the game by definition. Just to be clear you’re only talking pve, right? Even so, it bothers me. Look at Skady Valda. She has more PvE proficiency than everyone I personally know (she knows every boss fight perfectly, never dies, rarely loses pets, leads guild missions perfectly, etc), with 6 world completions and 12 legendary weapons, I dare say she is both good and hardcore, as well as a trading post genius.

Also, I might add that (in response to your assertion that every test shows awful dps), none of your compatriots took fortifying bond or really theorcrafted much at all. They even admit that several times. It’s hard to fairly compare a perfected speed run to a team comp that’s not even close to optimized. I’m not saying ranger would end up attractive at the end, I’m just saying, you know…do a fair comparison and invite people like me who know what they’re doing with the class. That is all, also, for the record, I’m a fan of what dnt does. Good luck out there fellas, let me know if you want to try some real tests. If DnT doesn’t want to help, I’m willing to theorycraft ranger with anyone out of joy of the game.

No clue who that is but anyone who really cares about beeing efficient or contributing would never bring a ranger to dungeons except for trolling/fun reasons.

Dub | [rT]

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Almdudler.8621

For arah path 3
vs

For fractal bosses
vs
what I had for my videos

I would agree with this, it seems fair and the longer length of arah p3 compared to CoF would make any difference more readily observable.

If its gonna happen I’d start with cof, simply because it requires the lessest effort and if the time is significant slower I honestly wouldnt have the motivation to see the it in longer paths. Start little then broaden the range.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

obal.3218

For arah path 3
vs

For fractal bosses
vs
what I had for my videos

If its gonna happen I’d start with cof, simply because it requires the lessest effort and if the time is significant slower I honestly wouldnt have the motivation to see the it in longer paths. Start little then broaden the range.

People already did 4r/1m and it would have been around 7:30 which is about what we got screwing around with 3r/2e using ele weapons and much slower than others did with warriors. Still CoF is trash and we made the videos as a satire and CoF fit those purposes.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

So I’m trying to get the hang of ranger sword to give it a fair shake (I only used SB/LB/GS while levelling up), but I’m having issues. I have autotargeting off because sometimes I like to attack without targeting or attack while having something else targeted, but this doesn’t seem possible with ranger sword due to the leaps involved with the attack chain dragging me away from the enemy I’m trying to hit. The attack skills also seem to be able to be spammed twice before reverting to Slash, which takes me about 600 range AWAY from what I want to hit.

Is this intentional by Anet, and how do you avoid it? I don’t have this problem on any of my other melee classes, so….seems like a big ranger defect.

http://youtu.be/OFRx2fERCNo

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

Ranger sword will leap at whatever you have targeted. It’s not a bug it’s a “feature” (lol). See, when you skirmish as a ranger, you must cripple/immob/chill/CC your target so your cat can land hits…otherwise the target can do the fabled kiting of the ranger pet, something people so often complain about. It’s by design…when you are damaging with pet, ANET gives the ranger the control role for the pet.

So the sword has a cripple on the chain as well as leaps. This allows you to stick on your target to keep it crippled so your pet can eat. Lots of people are confused by it but you learn to like it after a while. Like much of ranger, it’s quirky but it works…and it’s more situational than other professions weapons, of course. Everything about ranger is about being situational.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

well sword seems great for that situation when I don’t want to be able to attack without targeting, I guess

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Chopps.5047

well sword seems great for that situation when I don’t want to be able to attack without targeting, I guess

Precisely the reason I zerg with greatsword

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Dub.1273

Ranger greatsword is broken too. Canceling dodges.

Dub | [rT]

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Dub.1273

Says the person who wakes up at 1AM.

Dub | [rT]

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

It’s hard to say without a few tests, to be honest. Because I strongly feel that 0/25/0/15/30 is highest DPS..

Is there any agreement? Yasi suggested 30/30/5/X earlier with GS/LB. I’d like to know what Guang thinks is the trait setup that will out-DPS a warrior.

Hate to waste my time doing this for people to just say YOU DID IT WRONG! but that’ll happen anyway, so maybe it doesn’t matter.

20/25/0/25/0 is your best bet for raw melee DPS. The important traits to get here are:

Steady Focus
Spotter
Pet’s Prowess
Vigorous Spirits
Strength of Spirit (optional, it honestly doesn’t make much difference at all)

And take sword/warhorn and a greatsword or longbow for an initial burst. For greatsword, use Maul > Swoop > Hilt Bash > switch to 1HS, for longbow use Hunter’s Shot > Barrage.

For pet, bring feline or bird; bird is slightly more damage. If you do bring a bird, don’t take the pet CD recharge trait, it actually slightly lowers the bird’s DPS since it makes it use the swiftness buff more often. That’s not a concern with a 20/25/0/25/0 spread, I just thought I’d bring it up. For the second pet, use a drake, since it can cleave trash mobs. I would actually recommend using Jungle Stalker and Reef Drake, since the former gives might and the latter cleaves.

Berserker everything, Scholar runes or Ruby Orbs (difference is marginal). Use Sigil of Force and Sigil of Accuracy on your weapons, Smoldering/Night is better but skews the numbers in favor of rangers.

Also, if you want to measure DPS via kill time, you need to make sure to do a few things:

1) Measure only the kill times. There’s a lot of stuff that can skew the overall clear time of the dungeon, like how long it takes for people to kill the acolytes, light the braziers, get on the torches, etc. that isn’t actually related to DPS, so you want to take those out of the equation if possible.

2) Don’t use Time Warp. You will be using it in practice most of the time but since CoF is a “burst the boss down in one TW” dungeon it ends up severely skewing actual DPS data, since it increases auto-attack DPS much more than skill DPS.

3) Make sure whoever is playing the ranger has a warrior that is similarly geared. Obviously if your warrior is in full ascended zerker gear and the ranger is in green cleric’s gear, there’s going to be a difference, but that’s also going to be true if the ranger has, say, exotic gear and ruby orbs while the warrior has ascended gear and scholar runes.

4) Drop your Frost Spirit outside of the Effigy’s AOE. You shouldn’t really be expecting it to last the full 60 seconds, but that’s no reason to be actively trying to get it killed.

I don’t mind helping but neither my ranger or my warrior are actually geared for max DPS. I use boon duration runes because it helps more for pug groups in getting longer-duration fury on everyone and better boons on my pet. My ranger also has ascended gear while my warrior doesn’t, so that will skew the results. I could run an engineer though if you want to ensure you get the maximum might stacks in absence of a mesmer.

Oh, and it’s a bit off-topic now, but there’s some gimmick thread in the Guardian forums where people are hitting almost 40k on unoptimized guardian specs with Whirling Wrath, so, you know, BIG NUMBERS HEY

(edited by Guanglai Kangyi.4318)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

obal.3218

We aren’t doing CoF as I said above and I’ve said a bunch of times that I updated the OP.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Don’t count the Acolytes since Warriors can kill them faster.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Broadicea.8294

Don’t count the Acolytes since Warriors can kill them faster.

And don’t use Time Warp because it makes warrior groups higher DPS than ranger/engy groups (like they aren’t already).

I don’t know why I’m even bothering to take this kitten seriously, I know exactly what’s going to happen. Wish the trolls would just kitten off already.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

PLEASE DON’T CONTROL FOR VARIABLES, IT MAKES IT HARDER FOR ME TO SKEW THE RESULTS

Now you guys see why I don’t bother making videos for you guys. You’re basically incapable of actually testing anything in any sort of remotely structured manner.

Might as well just put the ranger in green cleric’s gear. Or hell, have the ranger die at the beginning of the fight and go “well that’s just cause rangers die a lot” and pretend it was an objective test.

(edited by Guanglai Kangyi.4318)

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

11/10 thread. I’m still laughing.

+1, i think i said it already but longer it last better is becoming…

(btw, MH Sword on ranger auto is completly nuts, locking your char in animation w/o room for dodgin or anything. i recall posting it on forums and ingame feedback like…during first BWE1. April 2012. yeaaaaah…. – somebody who rerolled after that WE when tried out ranger – )

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

PLEASE DON’T CONTROL FOR VARIABLES, IT MAKES IT HARDER FOR ME TO SKEW THE RESULTS

Now you guys see why I don’t bother making videos for you guys. You’re basically incapable of actually testing anything in any sort of remotely structured manner.

Might as well just put the ranger in green cleric’s gear. Or hell, have the ranger die at the beginning of the fight and go “well that’s just cause rangers die a lot” and pretend it was an objective test.

I didn’t realize that the actual clear times of the dungeon were what mattered when you wanted to get rewards faster. I also didn’t know that was the point of speedclearing either. Now I’m wondering if you were a test tube baby birthed in a sterile and perfect environment by fanatical science parents, and my head is spinning at rate that you couldn’t even calculate.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: zabriel.4852

zabriel.4852

I think the balance team doesn’t care about rangers in general. They helped necros and engis out. Maybe it will be complex to help the pet system. They should really show they want to help the rangers out. I mean that in the way that they have interviews like State of the Game and are like yeah…. yeah….yeah… Rangers. then SO GUESS WHAT WE DID FOR THE WARRIOR IN THIS Patch. that how it is…. unfortunately. Sucks if you got a legendary on a Ranger too. Like its nice but for what.?

Zabriel Dusk

Ranger DPS in Dungeons

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I think the balance team doesn’t care about rangers in general. They helped necros and engis out. Maybe it will be complex to help the pet system. They should really show they want to help the rangers out. I mean that in the way that they have interviews like State of the Game and are like yeah…. yeah….yeah… Rangers. then SO GUESS WHAT WE DID FOR THE WARRIOR IN THIS Patch. that how it is…. unfortunately. Sucks if you got a legendary on a Ranger too. Like its nice but for what..

They dont care about PvE full stop. Necro’s arent any better in pve but are currently very strong in pvp thanks to the patch.