Solo Dungeon option - end forced grouping

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Tristavel.9218

Tristavel.9218

Ok me and my wife tried out now our first dungeon. And like there are currently i must say that this is just completely unfair.
It has been said that GW2 scales things to the size and level of people involved. Now in the world with the events works that fine. Now i don’t see why this doesn’t work at all in the Dungeons.
(…)
Now we tried with our characters which are both at Level 80 the first Dungeon (Ascalonian Catacombs) in Story Mode which is after all supposed to be easier than exploring. And what happened? One!! normal enemy gave us hell. After 40 minutes of being just past 6 NORMAL enemies and having died already plenty of times, we broke of the Dungeon.
And now i am writings this post, then for me this is just simply unfair.
(…)
Currently the Story Dungeons aren’t hard, they are impossible.

Actually, I think AC story is – or was before Jan 28 patch – notably harder than any explorable path for this particular dungeon. Yes, most explorable bosses are “harder”, as they can OHKO some players, and a handful events are more difficult as they require more cooperation and general awareness to complete, but this is mostly offset by simple fact that ghosts are MUCH tougher than gravelings. No comparison, really.

Anyway, doing AC story will eventually put you in the “Lovers” fight, and I think it’s impossible to duo for average players.

I believe your post is a good example of what I’d call the the real issue with story dungeons: too sudden difficulty jump. Simply put, nothing in open world prepares you for this. You may be well geared 80 who completed all the Orr maps without issue, soloed champions and learned to ninja contested temple skill points, and still you stand no chance in supposedly lvl 30 dungeon. I believe scalable difficulty would be a nice and simple way to smoothen the transition, where players going solo or duo could at least learn dungeon layout and mob abilities without feeling they’re cracking their heads against a wall.

And honestly even the forced group finding doesn’t seem to be that easy, as countless people are standing outside of the Dungeon but hardly anyone is going in.

Finding group for AC is actually very easy, as all sorts of people are running it regularly – new players need to start somewhere, and veterans come to explorable for some quick money runs or push alts through story mode. People standing outside are often AFK, or chatting up guildies, or wasting time spamming “LFG” rather than join one of dozen people doing the same. Also, person “going in” may pull entire party with him, they don’t need to go for the door together. Anyway I’d suggest you give it a try, if you are a coordinated duo you will likely adapt faster than most people can.

Quite many paths are soloable.

Well, if you can do it, congrats to you. This aside, you realize this entire topic is totally irrelevant for people capable of such feats, right?

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

Humm…. “easier but rewards less” tell me again how hard these things are for a high DPS team… (ducking for all the flaming to be coming my way…)

Yeah, go figure high DPS simply steam rolls through Anets content. Not exactly rocket science here. The less popular professions and builds CAN complete the content, however taking longer and with more time (and humans) greater odds of defeat.

Anet COULD OF worked into the mechanics ‘something’ that only specific professions could do well at and have that be different in each Dungeon or path so it would almost require having a full mixture of professions – EVERYONE would have a problem with that rather than the non-high DPS or not so ‘popular’ professions.

However this would work into the ‘gray area’ of having ‘rolls’ to fill for specific jobs. A big ‘no no’ in the minds of Anet and many players alike.

The easy answer is that while in theory the players are scaled to the dungeon it really needs to be the other way around – the dungeons need to scale to the player or team of players.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Please make the story dungeons easier and soloable without nerfing the rewards

So you want all the rewards with none of the effort? You are everything wrong with gaming today and I would politely ask you to go play something more your speed, like Farmville or Angry Birds.

That’s funny i feel the same way about people like you..games are meant to relieve frustration not add it..

If i wanted to work, i’d go get a second job, its more fulfilling, this isn’t fun for many and they ask for a more enjoyable experience solo, if you enjoy that insane grind it is now great do it as a hardcore mode group…Rewards should be the same as long as both parties are happy..

Posted by: Kaylenn.5197

Kaylenn.5197

I’d also like soloable, nerfed dungeons (easy mode), but I’m willing to get nearly no rewards for it. I just want to play to have fun. I would play through the dungeons just to see them and experience the story line, without having to wait for a group of strangers to wipe with. I’m a casual player and not that good, and I’m fine with that, but I’m not going to get everyone else killed for it. I prefer solo play, and one of the things that made me start playing this game was the claim that it was for ALL types of players. I realize they don’t want people farming in solo mode and getting a ton of stuff they can sell or exotic gear that they didn’t have to truly work for. I would be fine with just normal drops like you get exploring the world if it meant I could explore and have fun in a dungeon solo.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Please make the story dungeons easier and soloable without nerfing the rewards

So you want all the rewards with none of the effort? You are everything wrong with gaming today and I would politely ask you to go play something more your speed, like Farmville or Angry Birds.

That’s funny i feel the same way about people like you..games are meant to relieve frustration not add it..

If i wanted to work, i’d go get a second job, its more fulfilling, this isn’t fun for many and they ask for a more enjoyable experience solo, if you enjoy that insane grind it is now great do it as a hardcore mode group…Rewards should be the same as long as both parties are happy..

The reason those players want more of a “challenge” or “fulfilling difficulty” is because they are most likely still teens living with their parents and don’t have to work or take care of a family.

Which is entirely why they don’t comprehend your viewpoint.

I agree with you, there’s a fine line between fun and work.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

And you can go to open-PvE and faceroll all you want. Why whole game needs to cater to your needs?

MaRko.3165

Its actually rare to find a game where this sort of kitten tat argument is not happening.

‘Gifted’ players want more challenge and not-so-good players want less.

I’d just finished the ‘Mass Effect’ series before starting this game. Gosh what a novel concept – they catered to EVERYONE. While I played at ‘adept’ and found that setting about perfect for my style and abilities there was much more difficult and WAY easier modes available to play.

This game makes it very easy to cater to the ‘hard core crowd’ – simply don’t gear up a <insert not-so-popular profession here> and see how ‘challenging’ and ‘effective’ the game is then. There are surely LOTS of ineffective professions and gear to chose from.

The less inspired players simply don’t have many options. The encounters are designed so that you WILL FAIL on your first few attempts (or all your attempts if you don’t recognize what you may need to do or bring (if you have the coin or skill points to have those options available to you) or have someone explain the encounter or watch some instructional videos on it).

I fail to see why obviously gifted players would even care if the content were made more accessible to <insert less popular/effective profession(s) here> and game play challenged players – unless of course they somehow expect to NOT steamroll through content outfitted with the best DPS professions and gear. (face palm)

Posted by: Ungood.3054

Ungood.3054

Its actually rare to find a game where this sort of kitten tat argument is not happening.

‘Gifted’ players want more challenge and not-so-good players want less.

I’d just finished the ‘Mass Effect’ series before starting this game. Gosh what a novel concept – they catered to EVERYONE. While I played at ‘adept’ and found that setting about perfect for my style and abilities there was much more difficult and WAY easier modes available to play.

This game makes it very easy to cater to the ‘hard core crowd’ – simply don’t gear up a <insert not-so-popular profession here> and see how ‘challenging’ and ‘effective’ the game is then. There are surely LOTS of ineffective professions and gear to chose from.

The less inspired players simply don’t have many options. The encounters are designed so that you WILL FAIL on your first few attempts (or all your attempts if you don’t recognize what you may need to do or bring (if you have the coin or skill points to have those options available to you) or have someone explain the encounter or watch some instructional videos on it).

I fail to see why obviously gifted players would even care if the content were made more accessible to <insert less popular/effective profession(s) here> and game play challenged players – unless of course they somehow expect to NOT steamroll through content outfitted with the best DPS professions and gear. (face palm)

In a Word- Vanity.

That is why ‘gifted’ gamers come to mainstream games and then make a fuss that everyone should not be allowed to have what they have, play the content they are playing, and enjoy the game as much as they feel they alone should be entitled to, because, they are ‘gifted’

You can’t cater to them either, because if you make a game so hard that only the gifted players can play it, they won’t stay around, because they want to feel special, and if everyone is as skilled as they are just to play the game, they don’t feel better then everyone else, and they will move on to more mainstream games where they get to feel ‘gifted’ again.

Difficulty setting have already found their way into MMO’s, and as time goes on, it seems that any MMO that is not willing to do that will find that this problem of balancing content will plague them.

Every Lifelong Journey Ends With a Gravestone.
Born and Raised in Eredon Terrace

(edited by Ungood.3054)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

This isn’t a discussion about “Warriors and Guardians are OP and Necromancers are the worst choice you could do”. Or about make dungeons easier.
It’s about whether or not solo dungeon mode would be a good idea. And it wouldn’t. It would kill every bit of fun (even if for some people there isn’t any fun) because the dungeons we have can’t be scaled down to cater to the majority of the playerbase.

It’s not a question of toning things down, it would need a massive overhaul. When you are down, who is there to revive you ? Who is there to take some damage for you ? To attack while you kite/cc ?
If they add NPCs, they would have to make them so powerful that they wouldn’t even need your help…

MaRko.3165

This isn’t a discussion about “Warriors and Guardians are OP and Necromancers are the worst choice you could do”. Or about make dungeons easier.
It’s about whether or not solo dungeon mode would be a good idea. And it wouldn’t. It would kill every bit of fun (even if for some people there isn’t any fun) because the dungeons we have can’t be scaled down to cater to the majority of the playerbase.

It’s not a question of toning things down, it would need a massive overhaul. When you are down, who is there to revive you ? Who is there to take some damage for you ? To attack while you kite/cc ?
If they add NPCs, they would have to make them so powerful that they wouldn’t even need your help…

Having a ‘solo mode’ detracts nothing from ‘team mode’. If you like running in teams why would you even care? Understand software much? Anything can get reprogrammed.

Presently when I walk into and create an instance the game asks me “story mode or Exp mode”, some of us are simply asking for ‘solo mode’ as an option. Heck, I’d even call it ‘tourist mode’ so I could wander around, see the sights and design and further complete my World map. At this point I can’t care less about the tokens/gold/DR.

MaRko.3165

And you can go to open-PvE and faceroll all you want. Why whole game needs to cater to your needs?

Non-subscription = game supported by players spending $$ on gems.

How does catering to people that actually have credit ratings and buying power not make sense for their business model?

Wethospu.6437

How does catering to people that actually have credit ratings and buying power not make sense for their business model?

Yeah, gems are so horribly expensive that only hard-working ultra-casual players can afford them.
I can make you a program which gives you very simple task and each time you succeed it tells how awesome you are, just 50 euros!

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I’d love to be able to do a dungeon without having to get human players, or for a NPC to fit the role (and be a GOOD AI). I can imagine doing AC with my warband characters from the Personal Story. Oh man I’d love that more than you can imagine…

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

MaRko.3165

Yeah, gems are so horribly expensive that only hard-working ultra-casual players can afford them.
I can make you a program which gives you very simple task and each time you succeed it tells how awesome you are, just 50 euros!

While there is little doubt in my mind that your an awesome GW2 player, I play games for fun and entertainment. If it is not fun and entertaining my amusement budget gets spent elsewhere.

What percentage of the GW2 players play at your level? How much cash do you think the group spends? (if any) If whatever demographic that might buy GEMS to gain better gear becomes frustrated that their class/gear won’t help them reach whatever in game goal they’ve set for themselves how is that going to support Anet and keep the game going?

Wethospu.6437

What’s the issue of having solo-fun in open-PVE? If Dungeons get to same difficulty (which they would need to because you can build your character so differently) then what’s the difference?
But I agree that Story-modes are way too hard for what they are supposed to be.

Posted by: RayKoke.1638

RayKoke.1638

Quote:
“It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game.”
~Colin Johanson

Not True

“…and it starts with asking a very simple question that surprisingly isn’t asked that often in game development: “Are you having fun?” – Colin Johanson https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success/

Personal Story Failure = No, it’s not Fun to be forced into grouping.

Guild Wars 2’s Ree Soesbee Explains Personal Story SEE: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/tales-of-tyria/

No mention of requiring grouping to complete a PERSONAL story.

“…When you’re playing through the game, you’re going to see an amazing open world with plenty to do, but you also get to play through the equivalent of a full-fledged single-player RPG…” Leif Chappelle – http://www.arena.net/blog/the-evolution-of-narrative-in-personal-story

Again, not true. And these are but a few examples that are NOT the actual experience in GW2 as contained in the press releases.

Frankly, I like many others are extremely disappointed.
1) This is Trehearn’s story – not my character’s.
2) It is NOT a personal story that can be completed solo since it requires a dungeon and a group in order to complete the story.

RedStar.4218

Having a ‘solo mode’ detracts nothing from ‘team mode’. If you like running in teams why would you even care? Understand software much? Anything can get reprogrammed.

So basically because I won’t use it I don’t have the right to give my opinion on it ?

It’s extremely obvious how trying to include a solo mode dungeon will fail, even if Anet wastes times and resources to try to make it good.
You see those group events DE, like let’s say Grenth ? It scales accordingly with players, right ? Yet you can’t solo it.
Try to do every group event, with correct leveling scaling (so scrap any low level events) and see how that turns out, because that’s what you get with simple scaling.
You don’t have any second chance with solo mode. If you get downed, you are dead.

Solo mode won’t need a simple reprogramming, it would need a new design.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

MMO = massively multiplayer online game, It’s intended to be played with other people, it’s what these type of games are designed around.

That said GW2 has an exceptional amount of content doable solo even some dungeons can be done solo if one is very skilled. The only exceptions in GW2 are tPvP and most dungeons (perhaps a couple of group events). This is only a small portion of the games content in it’s entirety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

There are a number of factors shared by most MMOGs that make them different from other types of games. MMOGs create a persistent universe where the game milieu continues regardless of interaction. Since these games emphasize multiplayer gameplay, many have only basic single-player aspects and the artificial intelligence on the server is primarily designed to support group play. As a result, players cannot “finish” MMOGs in the typical sense of single-player games.

However single player in MMOs is quite viable, especially in what is called ‘player vs environment’ gameplay. This may result in the player being unable to experience all content, as many of the most significant and potentially rewarding game experiences are events which require large and coordinated teams to complete.

Why can’t everyone just be satisfied that 85% of the game (an MMO at that) is doable solo?? That you never have to rely on others as generally the game does the grouping for you when it’s needed? No need to be social or talk, other players become like NPC to you.

For those so keen on playing an MMO alone you can’t expect to always have solo-able content or even demand it, saying you are being forced. You bought the game knowing it was an MMO and now you’re shocked there’s some content that can only be completed multiplayer?

That’s like saying you bought an online FPS and are shocked to discover it has online team versus team exclusive maps and content and say you are forced to group up, demanding it changed.

I’m sorry but if you don’t like grouping up at all (which baffles me why you’d even play an mmo) then you should play an RPG like skyrim/oblivion that are made specifically for that playstyle, which are very good games catered to you, you never have to bother with a single person and all content can be done alone.

I mean as a solo player you still have access to the vast majority of content in GW2, hours upon hours can be spend playing this game alone, money well spend I’d say. Just don’t be so surprised there’s a few things you can’t do alone. Surely that’s not a weird notion for an MMO to have Multiplayer content. It just really baffles me these kind of topics.

Not to mention with the technical problems involved with balancing professions and solo dungeons when the professions are build around teamwork. In it’s most basic design structure GW2 is not a single-player game.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Ungood.3054

Why can’t everyone just be satisfied that 85% of the game (an MMO at that) is doable solo??

The same could be said,

Why should anyone have a problem if someone wants to do a dungeon solo?

It does not cause you physical pain nor does it rob you of money if someone wants to play solo in an MMO so why does anyone have a problem with it.

Posted by: cpenney.4793

cpenney.4793

If enough people want it I would have no problem with it lik anything else they might do or add. Id still continue running my dungeons in groups but wouldn’t complain that people could do it solo and obtain the same dungeon skins as I. I don’t see what the big deal would be to those who are soo against it , not like the gear we get from dungeons means anything but a fashion statement there are no stat advantages anyway so whatever if people want that let them have it.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Why can’t everyone just be satisfied that 85% of the game (an MMO at that) is doable solo??

The same could be said,

It does not cause you physical pain nor does it rob you of money if someone wants to play solo in an MMO so why does anyone have a problem with it.

Because there are some jerks out there that think that everyone needs to play by their rules or not at all.

Posted by: Tristavel.9218

Tristavel.9218

If enough people want it I would have no problem with it lik anything else they might do or add. Id still continue running my dungeons in groups but wouldn’t complain that people could do it solo and obtain the same dungeon skins as I (…)

This would cause a massive outrage, as many people use dungeon skins (esp. ones considered difficult to get, like CoE or Arah) as status symbols. Important thing is, the intention of this thread as stated by the OP was to make STORY mode dungeons soloable; story mode that’s supposed to be part of the story and does not reward tokens/skins or pretty much anything. Explorables are a different thing and not really the topic here.

The funniest thing about this thread is that all this drama is about Story Mode only.

It’s extremely obvious how trying to include a solo mode dungeon will fail, even if Anet wastes times and resources to try to make it good.
You see those group events DE, like let’s say Grenth ? It scales accordingly with players, right ? Yet you can’t solo it.

Really bad example. Scaling or not, those still are group events; while some of them can be soloed (not Orr temples though), it usually takes a skilled player to do so. If you need an example how those things are done, look into personal story instances. Solo mode STORY dungeons could work along those lines.
I have no doubt Anet could deal with it well enough.

I’m sorry but if you don’t like grouping up at all (which baffles me why you’d even play an mmo) then you should play an RPG like skyrim/oblivion that are made specifically for that playstyle, which are very good games catered to you, you never have to bother with a single person and all content can be done alone.

You realize this game was advertised and reviewed as a “different” MMO, one that does away with many classic MMO conventions; most reviews I’ve seen underlined lack of “trinity” and “flash mob” style gameplay, as opposed to typical party based one. I’ve even read reviews calling GW2 “casual MMO” or “MMO Lite” I think this was a clever move from Anet, as it attracted audience that normally kept away from MMO’s. If you read through the forums, you will find many such people: die hard soloers that prefer to be alone at all times, but also RL couples that don’t want anyone in their own cozy world, shy people, slightly anti-social people that are OK in anonymous mob but hate being in parties, people with RL complications that can’t group due to being on permanent standby etc. Most of those people seem to be fine with not running explorable dungeons, but many bang their heads on the story mode, because, well, it’s supposed to be part of the STORY, not elite endgame content.

Actually I have a feeling that part of the problem with “story mode” dungeons is the name itself; people believe they are a part of personal story and go in expecting stuff similar to very easy story instances scattered through the game. What they get though is “introductory mode” to explorable dungeons. It’s a bit misleading.

Ungood.3054

The same could be said,

Because there are some jerks out there that think that everyone needs to play by their rules or not at all.

No doubt that they exist, but their existence their battle cry is won’t change simply because ArenaNet designed dungeons so that players can pick their party size from 1 to 5.

RedStar.4218

Really bad example. Scaling or not, those still are group events; while some of them can be soloed (not Orr temples though), it usually takes a skilled player to do so. If you need an example how those things are done, look into personal story instances. Solo mode STORY dungeons could work along those lines.
I have no doubt Anet could deal with it well enough.

Anything involving a champion is considered a group event. While some champions can more or less easily be killed by a single player, some cannot be done by most players.
And what are dungeons full of ? Silver, Champions and Elites.
You aren’t only killing Champions in personal instances because they have less health and less damage, their attacks are worse.

I don’t want to talk about imaginary dungeon paths, so let’s take a nice example : CoF SM. Let’s see how realistically a majority of the player base can solo the weapon boss, or the effigy. “With some modifications it might work”, but that’s the thing, the whole dungeon would need more than health and damage scaling to accommodate for a single player.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

The same could be said,

First of I’m not a jerk, I have no problem if they were to add solo dungeons. To each their own. I’d no doubt would play them myself alongside the multiplayer ones. I have no problem with people playing solo, I don’t always group either. You totally missed the point of my post if you think I have an issue with solo play.

Second, My problem with this thread is that some people are shouting words like ‘forced’ when the game was advertised as being a multiplayer game. If people want solo dungeons then they can suggest it but don’t start saying you are being forced and it’s not fair etc. etc. when you must’ve known it would have some grouping elements when you bought it.

You can’t then expect it to be there or demand it to be added since you’re being ‘forced’ into it. You aren’t being forced and there’s no reason why you should’ve expected all the content to be single-player in an MMO Multiplayer game.

I’m all for extra content, extra options. I just baffles me why people seem so shocked the game has some multiplayer only content.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: NovaBlast Shockwave.5164

NovaBlast Shockwave.5164

This post was such a bullseye just had to post it here to..

An MMO should include the ability to take advantage of forming a group and using teamwork to overcome challenges, but not necessarily require it. I love being able to play in a persistent online world where there are other people running around everywhere, but I don’t always want to play with these people and organize objectives together with them. GW2 has an amazing system in place where being surrounded by other players is actually a good thing, and we can help each other out at a moment’s notice without it being a thing.

Being forced to form a group of 5 to clear a dungeon is like sitting on the bus and having a handful of strangers start surrounding you and asking you about your clothes and what you do for a living. I don’t want to talk to these people, just because they’re there. And then they ask: “Well, if you didn’t want to talk with strangers, why did you get on the bus?” I got on the bus because I want to go somewhere. If I could buy a car and go there alone, or with a few friends, I would.

wow you hit a bulls eye .

People seem to fail to realize that even if they are not grouping or guilding or even talking to another person it is still an mmo because there are other people in the same world as you in real time .

Multiple people are playing the same game at the same time = multiplayer game.

I laugh at anyone that says “why are you playing a mmo if you want to solo”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Defining-MMO

(edited by NovaBlast Shockwave.5164)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

So basically because I won’t use it I don’t have the right to give my opinion on it ?

Try to do every group event, with correct leveling scaling (so scrap any low level events) and see how that turns out, because that’s what you get with simple scaling.
You don’t have any second chance with solo mode. If you get downed, you are dead.

Solo mode won’t need a simple reprogramming, it would need a new design.

Solo dungeons didn’t fail in Guildwars 1 (they were very popular) why would they then fail in Guildwars 2…

Yes they would just scale down the mobs and difficulty and then make the bosses vets… Similar to jump puzzle mobs..

Posted by: maxie.9620

maxie.9620

So the OP is saying he wants GW2 to be more like WOW. Yet, despite this highly intelligent and thoughtful suggestion (probably a demand judging by his acerbic writings) has not actually engaged in the activity which he is requesting be modified/annulled to suit his own idea of what this game should be like.

Pretentious, illogical and puerile.

I am ashamed that this is the extent to which I can lambast this individual without being the target of official censure.

On the topic of the actual topic itself; it’s a terrible, horrible, kitten idea straight from some neurotic’s handbag of goofy suggestions. If you want to run dungeons but don’t want to play them with other people, and haven’t even attempted to before starting this thread of shame, then that’s your problem. I don’t see why the game should be modified to suit your perceived rights and desires when it works perfectly and efficiently.

Going to add the OP to my block list to avoid the misfortune of accidentally communicating with him in-game or, god forbid, being thrown into a group with him while running a dungeon. Smart money is on others doing the same.

But that’s just my 2 cents.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I would love solo or duo options. That’s right, OPTIONAL – just because solo/duo versions exist doesn’t mean people can no longer group! Or heroes / henchmen

Posted by: Rhamiel.6203

Rhamiel.6203

I would love to see a solo dungeon comeback like the super adventure cube or that 1 and a new 1 added because lately when i join a cof group for example,we enter the dungeon then 1 person eyther goes afk,or 2 go akitten or 1 leaves party,lately that has hapened 2 me daily in the first run,on the 2nd try 2 find a group i find a good group.I would like to not have 2 waste my time doing this daily dance in wich i join a group for a dungeon,then something hapens and the group gets disbanded then i gotta search for a new 1.Havin 1 man dungeons would satisfy even the “loner” players like me.I personaly do not like the way mmos headed in the last years,taking for example L2,it went from a “solo do it all by yourself game” to a “you need groups 2 farm and advance (and stuff)”,in my opinion guild wars 2 has a better comunity than all the mmos that i have played up until now and that helps the group sistem ALOT,but its not perfect,thats why making more 1 man dungeons and making them available all the time would satisfy players like me that are more of a solo orriented gameplay.Let the “go play single player games” flames begin:P.(I have a different view of mmos cuz in my day they were solo oriented and u didnt need groups for annything ever)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Umm… ALL MMO’s were group focused. It’s only recently that a few games have let people do more things solo.

WoW was not the first MMO. I know you didn’t state that but it’s the first MMO that I can think of that did the whole solo thing.

You’ll likely receive flak from people since this is a massive MULTIPLAYER online game. There’s still the vast majority of PvE content that you can enjoy solo. However, I do support dungeons being soloable except the loot must scale by the number of people. With 5 people you get the normal 60 tokens per character per day. With one player you only get 12 tokens per character per day.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

RedStar.4218

Solo dungeons didn’t fail in Guildwars 1 (they were very popular) why would they then fail in Guildwars 2…

Yes they would just scale down the mobs and difficulty and then make the bosses vets… Similar to jump puzzle mobs..

3 months later xD

I’m having a bit of trouble remembering solo dungeons in GW1. I remember solo missions and Keiran’s missions. And they were made for only one player in mind.

Jump puzzle mobs do not scale, or barely at all. And scaling bosses to veteran would make everything trivial….if you can’t even kill a veteran on your own, you have some problems >.>

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If someone asks for a “relaxed” (i.e., easier) dungeon experience in GW2 they are told to go to the story dungeons, because the explorables are for “coordinated teams of experienced players.” Whether you agree that they actually require that type of group or not, that was the intent.

Frankly, if the dungeon team is going to do anything differently, I’d prefer to see normal and hard mode explorables rather than solo dungeons. Of course, you’re always welcome to try soloing a team dungeon.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

1. Many of the dungeons are Empty. I’ve been to AC looking for a group to get tears and NO ONE is there.

2. Since when does MMO mean 5 man instance dungeons. This game was intended to do dynamic in game events not 5 man instance dungeons. I suspect the persistence of these 5 man dungeons is because they are cheap to produce and need little repair on the part of the producers. I know there are players who enjoy this type of play and are good at it but I am not one of them. And soloing the team dungeons is a useless waste of armor repair and time and you know it. I cannot understand why you are so selfish you would deny another player a chance to do some of the game content.

3. They have the knowledge to upgrade or downgrade your abilities to an area. Why not just upgrade or downgrade the dungeon to the amount of players in the party.
This would give a 2 man team a difficulty of 2/5 of the regular 5 man dungeon. So it would not be any easier for 2 than 5. So what’s the problem with this system. Oh, I know some of those players that don’t do dungeons might get a legendary weapon and not have to buy the one your selling for 2500 gold.

4. With this model your 5 man instance dungeon could have a sliding scale and could scale up also. You could take 10 players and do a dungeon twice as hard as the 5 man one or 25 players could do one 5 times as hard as the 5 man one.

5. If this doesn’t please you at least put Heroes outside the dungeon door that players could hire like in Guild Wars. And I mean real useful AI characters we could use to do the dungeons.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

How about they fix all the current problems with dungeons and Fractals first, and then start on something like this.

In the mean time, feel free to solo dungeons, plenty of people have done so already. In every dungeon there is at least one path you can solo. It’s just really difficult and takes a lot of time.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I cannot understand why you are so selfish you would deny another player a chance to do some of the game content.

Dev resources are always scarce in MMO’s. There is a huge player-base and many of them want different things. I’m selfish for preferring the dungeon devs work on something I want, but you’re not for wanting them to work on something you want. I see how it is. You and the OP are expressing a preference and that’s what I’m doing.

As to denying other players — no. Their decision to not team is what’s causing them not to experience the content as is.

RedStar.4218

1. Many of the dungeons are Empty. I’ve been to AC looking for a group to get tears and NO ONE is there.

2. Since when does MMO mean 5 man instance dungeons.

3. They have the knowledge to upgrade or downgrade your abilities to an area. Why not just upgrade or downgrade the dungeon to the amount of players in the party.
This would give a 2 man team a difficulty of 2/5 of the regular 5 man dungeon. So it would not be any easier for 2 than 5. So what’s the problem with this system. Oh, I know some of those players that don’t do dungeons might get a legendary weapon and not have to buy the one your selling for 2500 gold.

4. You could take 10 players and do a dungeon twice as hard as the 5 man one or 25 players could do one 5 times as hard as the 5 man one.

5.And I mean real useful AI characters we could use to do the dungeons.

1. Post of LFG. That might not be the solution you are looking for right now, but it’s the best one.

2. Since GW1 playerbase complained that 8 persons was too much, so they lowered it to 5.

3. Difficulty isn’t just a matter of tweaking health and damage. You have to take into account the different monsters abilities or their numbers relative to the number of players, and dungeons mechanics.
If they somehow manage to transfer the same difficulty for only 2 players, don’t think that it will become a walk in the park. With 5 players you have 4 people helping you. When you do down, you can instantly get back up.
With only one helper, if you go down you are pretty much dead because if your teammate comes to save you, who’s going to make a diversion so he won’t also die ?

4. More players doesn’t mean harder. Past a certain number difficulty is only a matter of communication. Just look at any meta group events : tons of players, more than half not knowing the mechanics and bashing their heads against the boss, but they still win the fight in the end, sometime without even dying.

5. Due to the nature of combat in GW2, they won’t be able to develop AI that’s intelligent enough to know when to save you, when to dodge, when not to attack, which skills to use and when.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

1 Boring.

2 Who cares the 5 man dungeon is old archaic and can be better improved with a dynamic version.

3. Not an excuse. We paid for the dynamic, real time world and did not get it we got more 5 man instance dungeons. And don’t kid your self they could do it but don’t want to spend the money!

4.You make my case for me. More players doesn’t mean harder if it’s 1, 3, 5 or 25.

5. Once again spend some money and update the game. Have you bought some gems lately. This game is more expensive than WoW if you buy the gems. If they wanted they could do it it’s not that hard. Even just let me use my other toons. I have 7 level 80’s would be happy to go to the dungeons together. They are all geared up and ready to go.

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

this thread is the downfall of humanity. everything it is to be human, this thread goes completely against. we must purge this evil from existence.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I dunno about Soloable Dungeons, that would take TOO LONG for Anet to rebalance and rebuild.

They ought to just borrow John Stumme’s contribution to GW1:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mercenary_Hero

Granted…. that’d be a huge grind for new players, having to level up 5 alts all at once.
But it’s reaching the point in this game where there’s not a lot of other options :\
(and they couldn’t be any worse than the rest of the NPC’s in this game who all run straight into Melee and die instantly…)

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There’s a few dungeons you can solo. It’s really fun and challenging. You actually have to learn the boss mechanics instead of simply facerolling everything head on.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

The dungeons are easy, and that’s part of the problem, people waltz in with their magic find sets, sit at range, run full signets and drag out the run nice slow and painful. And you cant even prevent these people entering your group, because you cannot know until you’re in and killing things. You just have to hope they are doing the right thing and when they aren’t, kick/block them and find another on the lfg and hope they aren’t just as selfish, wasting your time, and theirs.

Then of course you get the everyday stupid, the people who swap at the end, forgetting they opened the instance and kicking everyone out, the people who ignore basic instructions and screw over the team repeatedly, the people who swear and cuss everyone out for not doing it ‘their way.’

My advice to OP. Build up a friends list of players, pug it out and put up with the good and the bad, then friend all the people that do the right thing. Soon you will have enough on your list to avoid the mystery bag of gw2lfg.com all together. I put the name of the dungeon I encountered them in as the nickname to each person’s name, so when I need a COE (crucible of eternity), I type COE into my friends list, and all the COE players I’ve gone with pop up. Always make sure you open the dungeon when possible, this way you avoid bad players holding you at ransom because you cannot kick them without closing the instance.

Also- Anet’s not going to make these dungeons soloable so don’t hold your breath on that. They cant even fix them as they are now.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Posted by: Slypher.5321

Slypher.5321

I’m mostly a solo player because it’s hard for me to socialize, especially in-game.
But, one day, I wanted to do a Fractal for the first time.
No friends on skype/ts3, so I decided to look for a Pug. (And for someone who used to play LoL, it really means a lot…)
So I went to LA, and said in /map “Thief lfg Fractal 1 (beginner)”. After a few minutes I found a group, and we started.
And, guess what, I had fun. It was by no mean a good run, as they were 3 beginners and 2 experienced players, but everyone was nice.

I’ve done quite a few fractals now, almost always with Pug, and yes I’d a few bad experiences, but it’s a small minority.

</mylife>

I think OP is lazy.
If you don’t want to go Multiplayer on a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, I think you choosed the wrong kind of game. There is a lot of single player RPG.
You want Solo Instance ? Fine, but don’t expect the same rewards as Group Instance. Players nowadays want everything, right now, right there, without efforts.

Posted by: Meili Ying.3820

Meili Ying.3820

I think having solo-able dungeons, particularly for EM, would create a great learning environment for those who want to learn the encounters and mechanics of a dungeon. For group mechanics, perhaps NPC’s can take the place of players for that part, for example:

In COF 1 you have the switch that needs to be destroyed and the posts that players need to stand in to keep the gate open. In a solo-run (if ever implicated), the solo player could be assigned to stand at a post so an NPC can destroy the switch, and maybe even reverse the role in a different room so that the NPC is at a post and the player is at the switch. That way, if the player should decide to go in a group run, they will know what to do without needing someone to explain it to them mid run.

As for story mode , I wouldn’t mind them being solo-able for the sake of having access to explorable.

Fix the Search Function

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Seeing the state of the AI in GW2, I feel sorry for anyone willing to take on such a challenge…

The “oi doi” pants-on-head-kittenedness of some NPCs really baffles me…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: bullettohead.9715

bullettohead.9715

The same could be said,

Why should you get the same reward for less work?

Posted by: Fox Mulder.6907

Fox Mulder.6907

A-net will have to give us “less than 5 player” dungeons or heroes soon. People are already moving on to other things & it’s getting MUCH more difficult to find full groups for anything. Look at the trading post. I can’t find an exotic back item. It would be nice to get infused armor someday….

As new content gets added it will become impossible to find groups of 5 for older content.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

It’s really only certain dungeons, and Story Modes especially that need to be addressed here. If you can’t find a COE, HOTW, or AC, then you’re not lookin in the right place. Story modes though?? These really shouldn’t require 4 other human players next to you. All you need is a distraction really while you do the parts that require actual thought. 4 AI heroes/mercenaries would stay alive well enough in those. ..or failing that, whichever AI automatically knows it doesn’t have aggro, is the one that rushes over and tries to get someone else back up. If ppl could Hero-Way through DOA in the last game, then even neophytes could scrape their way through the StoryModes in this game with some more AI allies.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: restoration.2806

restoration.2806

This is an MMORPG emphasis on the MMO part. If you want to play by yourself in an MMO open world it. The dungeons are meant for team play. But again this is an MMO.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

ANET has more important things to worry about than make dungeons solo-able for the handful of anti-social players that want GW2 to be a single player game like Skyrim. The is a massive MULTIPLAYER online game. You’re going to have to play with people.