Standing on the Pole in Mossman

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I don’t do mossman or frac dailies if you’re thinking I’m trying to justify safe spotting. I think the entire encounter is trash and needs to be changed and pretending it’s exciting to do DPS rotations is just masking the real issue w/ boring instabilities and boring fights.

Never said its exciting. But thats a completely separate issue….

spoj.9672

I don’t get why people are trying to justify a safespot.

Because not everyone is a masochist who enjoying beating a giant bag of HP while trying to see small animations inside a firework show. Every day, 2 times minimum.
You love it? Great. But don’t expect everyone be like you.

Never once said i love it. I still dont see how it being boring is justification for making it even more boring and completely cheesing the fight. Safespotting is an obvious exploit. Theres no grey area with it. Personally i wish GM’s took a bit more of an aggressive approach when it comes to clear cut exploits like this. But meh.

And you dont have to do Mossman 2 times a day. You could branch out. You made the conscious decision to choose the same fractals for dailies because you want rewards through the path of least resistance. So surely your boredom should not even be a factor. And as ive pointed out its not hard and its actually much faster to do it legit. So it makes no sense from a reward standpoint.

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Safespotting is an obvious exploit. Theres no grey area with it. Personally i wish GM’s took a bit more of an aggressive approach when it comes to clear cut exploits like this.

I’ll agree with safespotting being an exploit but not everything that’s been done with Mossy is an exploit. Luring Mossy underwater or running under the board of his little hut? Definitely an exploit without question. In underwater, the boss bugs out and has no attacks available to him. Hiding under the boards made it to where he couldn’t approach you with melee attacks and fully obstructed his ranged attacks.

The new tree and the old pole stuff? I still can’t be convinced it’s an exploit; it sure as hell was cheese though, and it wasn’t at all the intended way to deal with the fight. In those fights everything was working as programmed. Mossy attempts to reposition himself and will cast his range attack when it’s off CD. If you manage to pull him to the perfect spot you both avoid his melee attacks and obstruct his ranged attacks. However, Mossy’s will still attempt to reposition himself and will continue attacking. Nothing broke in the encounter other than your managed to get out of reach. The poor guy’s primary attacks are melee so why stand there and try to dodge when you can hop up to a place that makes his attacks become out of reach. Same thing with the wolves. They’re small and attack with melee. All a player has to do is gain vertical height and bam, you just avoided their attacks. However, if someone goofed or otherwise moved around Mossy and his wolves can make contact once again and no attacks are being avoided. If anything your team just became a bunch of neatly stacked targets for him to maul through.

If ban hammer starts coming down for cheese like this they might as well take away some of the architecture in Khylo otherwise we’d get reported for hopping up a few stairs to get out of melee range of an opponent’s attacks.

How to fix Mossy? If the fractal team is insistent on keeping the architecture for arty flavor they’ll need to give Mossy more ranged attacks and/or swap his wolves to something ranged. Otherwise, if Geometry Wars is such a heavy issue that it’s been given the label of exploit then tear down the whole thing and make it an open arena like Bloomy.

(edited by savacli.8172)

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

And you dont have to do Mossman 2 times a day. You could branch out. You made the conscious decision to choose the same fractals for dailies because you want rewards through the path of least resistance. So surely your boredom should not even be a factor. And as ive pointed out its not hard and its actually much faster to do it legit. So it makes no sense from a reward standpoint.

I did fractals thousands times over all those years, and I don’t see a single reason why I should waste time for long fractals when anet refusing to give any additional reward for it. Any sane person will choose a fastest path because time have value, especially when you doing something daily.
And what we have on fastest path? One of most unfun boss fights in fractals. Almost invisible animation tells thanks to spell effects and relatively small boss model. High damage with tiny windup. “Fun” stealth mechanic. Horrible instabilities on top of everything. And most entertaining part, TONS of hp.
Old f50 Mossman was pretty justified boss – lots of dangerous mechanics, but low health to compensate it. New one is a living example of “how to take good boss and change him into something that everybody hates to fight against”.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Mossman was only the fastest path because people cheese’d it. The faster path than Mossman is definitely Molten Duo.

Mossman was only the easiest path because people cheese’d it. The easier path? Jade Maw.

The only thing I would agree to is to halve Mossman’s toughness and double up his damage and add the ability for him to reset if his melee attack cannot connect to the target (if the target is still in range). Immediate reset and ignore range attack.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Because if the content is so old and boring but you want to do it getting it done while interacting with it as little as possible is the only reasonable solution.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

Because not everyone is a masochist who enjoying beating a giant bag of HP while trying to see small animations inside a firework show. Every day, 2 times minimum.
You love it? Great. But don’t expect everyone be like you.

Never once said i love it. I still dont see how it being boring is justification for making it even more boring and completely cheesing the fight. Safespotting is an obvious exploit. Theres no grey area with it. Personally i wish GM’s took a bit more of an aggressive approach when it comes to clear cut exploits like this. But meh.

Completely cheesing the fight makes it not boring. Because it’s not boring if you’re watching netflix – since you’re not actually subjected to it.

It’s as simple as : Math class is boring, but if you’re doodling on your phone while in math class you are no longer bored – because you’re not actually paying attention to math class.

Also I wouldn’t consider it a “safe” spot – because he can still hit you – and push you off.

You made the conscious decision to choose the same fractals for dailies because you want rewards through the path of least resistance.

And you understood the logic then – after the path of least resistance is taken the path of even “less than least” resistance is taken in turn.

It makes no sense from a “time spent obtaining X reward” only if you look at in-game time as being 100% glued to the screen and paying attention.
It makes a lot of sense if you realize that even if someone is in game and playing – if the difficulty is low enough – they can also do something else on the side – which means they’re now gaining time instead of spending it.

It goes like this.

If it takes you 5 minutes to beat mossman then you spent 5 minutes beating mossman and gained your reward.

If it takes a pole group 10 minutes to beat mossman, but they also watch netflix while doing it – they’ve spent 10 minutes watching their favorite show and as a bonus also got a FOTM reward. For free. Because the time spent in game is actually time they’re spending elsewhere.

That’s the logic behind it.
That’s why world boss trains, sw chest trains and generally 11111 activities are popular. Because you can farm and while you farm do something else you enjoy – and at the end of the day you’ll have done whatever you wanted and have a bit more gold too.

spoj.9672

Oh i completely understand why people do it. I just dont see why people try and justify it on a public forum. Its beyond absurd. And rather pathetic. Id be ashamed to admit i do or even support something this cheesy. And even if i wasnt i certainly wouldnt try to justify my actions.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Oh i completely understand why people do it. I just dont see why people try and justify it on a public forum. Its beyond absurd. And rather pathetic. Id be ashamed to admit i do or even support something this cheesy. And even if i wasnt i certainly wouldnt try to justify my actions.

It’s because they (well…we) were pretty content to cheese our way through tedious or difficult encounters and don’t have a strong need to prove our skill. Some people think the sole purpose of fractals and dungeons is to provide challenging content, but a lot of us enjoy them for completely different reasons. And differing opinions make for more interesting discussion.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

So yea, 1 update and no fractals above lvl 50 in the LFG tool,

I’ve been doing several hours of fractals, above 50, since the update by using the LFG Tool o.O.

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Hey! If anet is allowed to always take the least resistant way to balance the game, then so can we take the least resistant way to get our rewards!

/s but I do think anet needs to give up on wasting resources on this, since players will always find a new way to get their rewards in the cheesiest way possible. Better if they just remake the old lvl 50 fracs for the last 50 fracs in the current system and be done with it. And while they’re at it, actually make new content for it so we don’t bored out of our minds as we are now.

spoj.9672

It’s because they (well…we) were pretty content to cheese our way through tedious or difficult encounters and don’t have a strong need to prove our skill. Some people think the sole purpose of fractals and dungeons is to provide challenging content, but a lot of us enjoy them for completely different reasons. And differing opinions make for more interesting discussion.

Thats exactly my point. Why are you justifying your actions on a public forum if you dont need to prove your skill.

Its almost as if people who are justifying it are against the idea that extreme exploiting is wrong and shouldnt be fixed. And this is coming from someone who actually doesnt have a problem with most exploits.

The way i see it is if you dont care and you take part. You just keep quiet and accept how things are. The idea of speaking up and justifying your own crimes instead of supporting the fixing of said exploits is rather ridiculous.

Extreme exploits like these should never be justified or encouraged in public. And they certainly shouldnt be common practise or widely known. The real jokers are those that immediately went to find the next spot straight after a fix though. Thats some real dedication to cheese.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Thats exactly my point. Why are you justifying your actions on a public forum if you dont need to prove your skill.

Its almost as if people who are justifying it are against the idea that extreme exploiting is wrong and shouldnt be fixed. And this is coming from someone who actually doesnt have a problem with most exploits.

The way i see it is if you dont care and you take part. You just keep quiet and accept how things are. The idea of speaking up and justifying your own crimes instead of supporting the fixing of said exploits is rather ridiculous.

Extreme exploits like these should never be justified or encouraged in public. And they certainly shouldnt be common practise or widely known. The real jokers are those that immediately went to find the next spot straight after a fix though. Thats some real dedication to cheese.

To counter your point. If they simply “Didn’t Care” and didn’t speak up at all then things that they do enjoy about a certain game mode might get changed or removed in a misguided attempt that doesn’t address root causes. Some people like relaxing and finishing their dailies, nothing wrong with that. I think the bigger issue is that fractals 50+ are a pain due to high hp and instabilities that are a pain or punish skilled play. Losing all your boons on a dodge? That is a TERRIBLE instability. What do you say to good players who see a tell and dodge to avoid taking a lot of damage? Or how about thieves whose main mechanic IS dodge?

You have to look at the reasons why the exploit is done rather than just fix the exploit. Because if you don’t fix base problems people will just hop onto the next easiest to complete method. People are willing to do fractals normally, as long as they aren’t stupid with instabilities and health like in 50+, the way people run fractals below 50 should be a SOLID indicator of this.

Telling people to “be quiet” because they have “nothing to prove” or “they have their own way of enjoying” is essentially saying “I don’t agree with you, be quiet and let me complain and get my changes implemented”. It is not very conductive to an actual discussion.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Totally agree with everything you said spoj, guess I just worded it confusingly.

This argument reminds me of the old wall lupi argument. Such dejavu, rip dungeons.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

reapex.8546

Totally agree with everything you said spoj, guess I just worded it confusingly.

This argument reminds me of the old wall lupi argument. Such dejavu, rip dungeons.

I would be worried if Anet stops patching fractals because that would mean they’re going the dungeon route. In otherwords, more patches for exploits = good and less patches for exploits = future dead content.

Rednik.3809

I would be worried if Anet stops patching fractals because that would mean they’re going the dungeon route. In otherwords, more patches for exploits = good and less patches for exploits = future dead content.

How about more patches for content and better fractal mechanics instead?

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Because if the content is so old and boring but you want to do it getting it done while interacting with it as little as possible is the only reasonable solution.

whats that got to do with using an exploit. I quit groups that exploit, the latest seems to be standing on a rock for mossman. Its a more fun fight when the boss is in the open and a lot more interesting.

All content becomes old with age, standing on a rock and spamming keys like a monkey with rolling pins attached to your hands does not fix that.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Its a more fun fight when the boss is in the open and a lot more interesting.

It was the first 100 times, now it is just crap, especially on lvl 50s+.

All content becomes old with age, standing on a rock and spamming keys like a monkey with rolling pins attached to your hands does not fix that.

I just want my gold and so does almost everybody. Give me new content a.k.a. new fractals and make them waterproofed or at least fix exploits asap. It’s not hard to read in the forums for an employee and give advice to the developers. But they culpably disregarded that since years.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Harper.4173

People do fractals to farm ascended gear – not to prove skill.
People want to farm them with as little hassle as possible.
“Exploit” enables them to do their farming with minimal hassle.
How are you surprised the pole stack has defenders?

FOTM might be a skill-proving experience for you – but for others it’s just a farm. A farm they want to get done with as little trouble as possible.

Also the pole stack isn’t an exploit. He can hit you, just not as effectively.
I don’t understand how you can’t accept that people just want their farm.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

FOTM might be a skill-proving experience for you – but for others it’s just a farm. A farm they want to get done with as little trouble as possible.

I’m pretty sure he understands, it’s simply that such methods of making the content easier shouldn’t exist as it’s clearly not intended.
Also of course it’s an exploit lol People exploited the pole to get mossman in a position where he is less of a danger while they can use their skills freely on him.
People have their farm, they just can’t safespot mossman anymore. That’s good. If it’s not difficult and he’s basically no threat anyway, what’s the problem with that? You’ll just keep facerolling him, even faster than with those safespots. God forbid you actually have to do something in a game to get rewards.

Harper.4173

I’m pretty sure he understands, it’s simply that such methods of making the content easier shouldn’t exist as it’s clearly not intended.
Also of course it’s an exploit lol People exploited the pole to get mossman in a position where he is less of a danger while they can use their skills freely on him.
People have their farm, they just can’t safespot mossman anymore. That’s good. If it’s not difficult and he’s basically no threat anyway, what’s the problem with that? You’ll just keep facerolling him, even faster than with those safespots. God forbid you actually have to do something in a game to get rewards.

Yeah – but ranging him from 1500 range also makes him less of a threat – and isn’t considered an exploit. In fact – most bosses in this game can be slowly afk-ranged in order for people to be safer.

I get that people dislike this – but honestly I doubt you can fix it unless we’ll be fighting mossman in a white featureless room – as mentioned above.

reapex.8546

How about more patches for content and better fractal mechanics instead?

Fractals is content, therefore they will be patch. The new fractals may have better fractal mechanics. It would be worth giving Anet suggestions on how to make fractal mechanics better. But what mechanics, need to change for fractals to be better?

Rednik.3809

Fractals is content, therefore they will be patch. The new fractals may have better fractal mechanics. It would be worth giving Anet suggestions on how to make fractal mechanics better. But what mechanics, need to change for fractals to be better?

As example, less 100500100500 hp punching bags and less absolutely ridiculous instabilities.

25 charracters

reapex.8546

As example, less 100500100500 hp punching bags and less absolutely ridiculous instabilities.

So lower health and different instabilities, will be better mechanics in your eyes. Problem with the first one is, Mossman needs to change as the fractals scales get higher. So what changes about him? Higher attack power? Also, “ridiculous instabilities” is subjective. What is ridiculous to you may not be ridiculous to others. Do you know of any challenging instabilities that will be accepted by all players at 50+?

Posted by: Lendruil.9061

Lendruil.9061

So lower health and different instabilities, will be better mechanics in your eyes. Problem with the first one is, Mossman needs to change as the fractals scales get higher. So what changes about him? Higher attack power? Also, “ridiculous instabilities” is subjective. What is ridiculous to you may not be ridiculous to others. Do you know of any challenging instabilities that will be accepted by all players at 50+?

Well, at first it should be obvious, that punishing players for playing well (loose boons on dodge) is bad design (it should be: loose boons on wasted dodge).
Furthermore, of course attack power should be increased, it used to be much higher pre hot.
Regarding instabilities, the challengemotes with healing reduction would be better instabilities than most of the current existing instabilities. Also, a big list of instabilities that never got implemented was datamined a long time ago. Some of those instabilities were pretty good imo. For Example: No downstate, Cannot use your nr6 healskill, Cannot reflect projectiles, No rezzing of dead players.

Skuldin - No Hesitation [hT]

reapex.8546

Furthermore, of course attack power should be increased, it used to be much higher pre hot.
Regarding instabilities, the challengemotes with healing reduction would be better instabilities than most of the current existing instabilities. Also, a big list of instabilities that never got implemented was datamined a long time ago. Some of those instabilities were pretty good imo. For Example: No downstate, Cannot use your nr6 healskill, Cannot reflect projectiles, No rezzing of dead players.

Attack power was higher but several players complained that it was unfair and too difficult. They also did not like getting one shot and wanted Anet to lower the attack power. I agree about losing boons on dodge, not being able to dodge does increase the challenge because you have to rely on your skills (blinds, blocks, etc). Some of the datamined instabilities do sound nice though, ty.

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Attack power was higher but several players complained that it was unfair and too difficult. They also did not like getting one shot and wanted Anet to lower the attack power. I agree about losing boons on dodge, not being able to dodge does increase the challenge because you have to rely on your skills (blinds, blocks, etc). Some of the datamined instabilities do sound nice though, ty.

In my opinion, if a fractal is going to be short, it should be at least hard.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The new tree and the old pole stuff? I still can’t be convinced it’s an exploit…

It is.

Source: I talk to ANet.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

The new tree and the old pole stuff? I still can’t be convinced it’s an exploit…

It is.

Source: I talk to ANet.

Regardless of my opinion that’s great to hear Anet has an official stand on that, but could we maybe get that broadcasted more openly? Even if they’re not fixing issues right away (which I still find rather odd and disappointing) it would be fantastic to have official callouts for controversy like this more readily accessible. Right now all we got is players pointing fingers or posts hidden deep within threads until a patch update comes out to “fix an issue that allowed players….”

Also, you missed quoting the other half of my sentence where I stated although I didn’t see the pole/tree tricks definable as an exploit I still see it as not the correct intention of the fight and needs to be addressed. Otherwise, if everyone is so loose with the term exploit you might as well drop ban hammers on the folks low manning VG and using Mes/Chrono Distortion to avoid the green circles.

(edited by savacli.8172)

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

How about this:

Not harder hitting attacks, but faster attacks. Perhaps a few new attacks.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Why is this a thing? Patch this crap pls.. It’s just annoying and totally unecessary. More peopel die trying to jump up on the pole than by simply fighting him normally. Honestly, it really is an easy fight.

Good luck with that, look at how long it was that people were fighting him underwater.

This game is filled with people who want the path of least resistance. It’s a gold farming game, the gameplay is a side show.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Why is this a thing? Patch this crap pls.. It’s just annoying and totally unecessary. More peopel die trying to jump up on the pole than by simply fighting him normally. Honestly, it really is an easy fight.

Good luck with that, look at how long it was that people were fighting him underwater.

This game is filled with people who want the path of least resistance. It’s a gold farming game, the gameplay is a side show.

Welcome to gaming in 2016, friend. Everything handed on a silver platter.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Don’t make it more serious than it is, guys. The fractal content is very old for a game like this. People are already annoyed by those fracs. Of course most of the people are going for the path of least resistance here if the reward is as high as the fractal reward.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Rednik.3809

How about this:

Not harder hitting attacks, but faster attacks. Perhaps a few new attacks.

If anything they should not be faster, never ever, unless you have people sitting next to anet server room.
Encounter should have BIG attacks, yes, but also READABLE ones, with very visible, very clear tells with enough time to respond. There is no skill it trying to see tiny windup in 100500 visial effects.

25 charracters

reapex.8546

In my opinion, if a fractal is going to be short, it should be at least hard.

I agree.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Imagine if Mossman had a phase change every 25% of his HP where he transformed into a different Norn transformation and went enraged on people. Just that alone would improve the fight substantially.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Welcome to gaming in 2016, friend. Everything handed on a silver platter.

But there are games like WoW with developers who actually have a PTR and action reports to fix this crap before it’s even implemented.

Same goes for Wildstar actually.

It’s this game where it basically encourages people to skip and exploit things as much as possible because you don’t even have a dedicated fractal/dungeon team that fixes crap in a timely manner.

The only frequent dev support they have is for their gem store updates.

reapex.8546

Imagine if Mossman had a phase change every 25% of his HP where he transformed into a different Norn transformation and went enraged on people. Just that alone would improve the fight substantially.

That sounds like a great idea too.