2000 hours, 0 precursors, why keep playing??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

I had my first precursor drop around 3100 hours played. It was the quip and I got it in WvW from a player kill. I doubt I will get another, however, I will probably play another 3100 hours so there is a chance I guess

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I don’t ever remember seeing in any rules for the game or anything else that a precursor was guaranteed to drop EVER.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

If you care about character customization and getting the best items, this game is not for you, most of that stuff is gated behind insane grinds and gem store costs. If you don’t care and just want to play to have fun, this game is more in line with your interests.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I have 0 expectations of getting one as a drop. I don’t even care if I do anymore. RNG gods are against me lol.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

I have 0 expectations of getting one as a drop. I don’t even care if I do anymore. RNG gods are against me lol.

Same here… 3000+hrs and no pre drop, although I do have enough gold to buy one I’m not sure I really want to, I’ll probably wait for the precursor crafting before I decide if I want to invest the gold either way.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Over 3700h and 0 precursors.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Guess what, life is unfair, deal with it. I’ve played 2K+ hours, alot of it doing World Boss Train and dungeons and I’ve never got a precursor, let alone found an item that was worth more than 7g.

I have a friend who has played the same amount as me, but he has found 4 precursors. Mjolnir which is an item that is worth 1K Gold +, a +15 agony infusion.

However sometimes that is just the way it is, just like we are here in NA enjoying playing GW2 while there are starving children in Africa.

Just don’t count on getting really amazing drops and work for your stuff. Doing a couple dungeon runs a day, Champ/WBT trains for 1-2 hours a day and you will be making money and before you know it you will have enough for a pre. Just know that a lot of people are in the same boat as you are.

Why Necro the thread? Did you just feel like spreading hate and wanted to minimize the risk that someone would respond?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Guess what, life is unfair, deal with it. I’ve played 2K+ hours, alot of it doing World Boss Train and dungeons and I’ve never got a precursor, let alone found an item that was worth more than 7g.

I have a friend who has played the same amount as me, but he has found 4 precursors. Mjolnir which is an item that is worth 1K Gold +, a +15 agony infusion.

However sometimes that is just the way it is, just like we are here in NA enjoying playing GW2 while there are starving children in Africa.

Just don’t count on getting really amazing drops and work for your stuff. Doing a couple dungeon runs a day, Champ/WBT trains for 1-2 hours a day and you will be making money and before you know it you will have enough for a pre. Just know that a lot of people are in the same boat as you are.

Why Necro the thread? Did you just feel like spreading hate and wanted to minimize the risk that someone would respond?

I don’t get that either… there was no point at all.. also I call bullkitten on their friend since mjolnirs don’t even drop, they’re crafted.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Maining an engineer, so legendaries are not even an issue for me. :P And after 2000 hours you should have more than enough gold to buy a prec.

95% of my game hours have been spent in wvw. that’s an issue that’s not even brought up. how in kitten kitten is a wvw player supposed to even come close to a legendary? luck? gems?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Maining an engineer, so legendaries are not even an issue for me. :P And after 2000 hours you should have more than enough gold to buy a prec.

95% of my game hours have been spent in wvw. that’s an issue that’s not even brought up. how in kitten kitten is a wvw player supposed to even come close to a legendary? luck? gems?

Gems, WvW has been a lackluster reward area since day 1. Do loves me some WvW though anyway.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Gems, WvW has been a lackluster reward area since day 1. Do loves me some WvW though anyway.

QED, wvw players are forced to pve. pve players are not forced to wvw to get what they want. map completion in wvw is nothing. pve players get more badges than wvw players. that isn’t right either.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: devnull.6085

devnull.6085

OP here…

Anymore i log on for Dropsquatequatl and spend rest of time doing Warframe or Defiance, so…..

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

Meanwhile some random 500 achievement guy puts 4 rares in Forge and gets a free precursor.

And, not knowing better, sells it to the merchant vendor down the street.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Tyrantis.8640

Tyrantis.8640

Holy crap. You mean the real reason I’ve been playing GW2 for all this time was the goal to get a precursor?

Here I thought I was playing an MMO… kitten it i’ve been doing it all wrong.

I guess I need to quit since I have around 2k hours and I haven’t gotten a precursor as well.

kitten !

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

I brought this up several times since I spend a huge amount of time in WvW.

I have no idea how people in WvW can seriously make money. I get tons of loot from kills, yet I can play 12 hours of WvW and not make anywhere close to how much I can make doing 2 hours worth of dungeons.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Posted by: ThePahkage.2684

ThePahkage.2684

OP

it’s a multi player game, not single

you’re not the center of anything

you’re not entitled

within 2k hours if you cant afford a precursor then you’ve likely spent too much time scrubbing around instead of improving yourself

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

2k here and no precursor or ascended item drops. Games that have poor loot systems tend to be games that stop being played when the combat becomes repetitive for the player.

Slot machines wouldn’t be played at all if there wasn’t a reasonable chance at hitting some kind of a pay off even if the pay off is never what is put in. Every time a player kills something they should feel like they are pulling a lever with a decent chance of getting something cool. Diablo, Borderlands and the like proved that much.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

2700 hours here and still no pre cursor…

Tried mystic forge, try’ed farming gold, try’ed everything and anything that would increase chances of getting one and not a single one.

But I am sure if I whip out my credit card to buy gems, turn them into gold and buy one off the trading post then I would probably have 4+ legendary’s by now…which is what I think Anet has had planned all along and what they want people to do.

GG Anet, never buying any of thier products again. Same goes for NCSoft. RNG Wars 2, please use gem store don’t actually play the game….

Posted by: Martrim.1078

Martrim.1078

I’ve been alive for 208597 hours (+/-) and i still haven’t won the lottery.

Takara Chan ~ (Thief)
Tamoko Chan ~ (Necro)
[PYRO] #MagSwag

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

2700 hours here and still no pre cursor…

Tried mystic forge, try’ed farming gold, try’ed everything and anything that would increase chances of getting one and not a single one.

But I am sure if I whip out my credit card to buy gems, turn them into gold and buy one off the trading post then I would probably have 4+ legendary’s by now…which is what I think Anet has had planned all along and what they want people to do.

GG Anet, never buying any of thier products again. Same goes for NCSoft. RNG Wars 2, please use gem store don’t actually play the game….

lol..i played 2k++ hrs.
Best drop i had was the Teq breather skin for the wrong armor type..
that’s about it.. no ascended stuff no forge stuff with rare or exotics no pre..
maybe if we all post here we will get something..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

It depends where you play. Some servers, WvW is the most rewarding place to “farm”.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

It doesn’t matter how many hours you have, it is how you have spent them. If I spent 10000 hours standing in LA then I wouldn’t be expecting a pre.

If you are actually bothering to go and run dungeons, kill champs and you don’t waste money on a load of crud. Then they are easy to get.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

It doesn’t matter how many hours you have, it is how you have spent them. If I spent 10000 hours standing in LA then I wouldn’t be expecting a pre.

If you are actually bothering to go and run dungeons, kill champs and you don’t waste money on a load of crud. Then they are easy to get.

Hmmmm, I have done the underlined part of your statement ad-nauseum with 4500+ hrs in-game, 10,000+ AP and still no pre, if so easy then where’s mine.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Hmmmm, I have done the underlined part of your statement ad-nauseum with 4500+ hrs in-game, 10,000+ AP and still no pre, if so easy then where’s mine.

So 4.5k hours and done champs, dungeons et al (as in run them for money, not kill one champ then that’s it for the day) and you still haven’t saved enough for a pre? Perhaps you have spent it all on something else.

Your AP is totally and utterly inconsequential. You would have next to no AP if you have just tried to maximise your gold potential over that time and instead would probably have most of the legendaries.

You can pull in 5-10g an hour from champs and/or dungeons. You have always been able to pull in a similar (often greater) amount via one method or another (when factoring in inflation), the old CS farm/s, lode farm, CoF1, SSC T6 farm et al. That is without factoring in what you could make playing the TP.

Put is this way, at a paltry 1g an hour you would have enough for the most expensive pre’s within 1000 hours or so (well a lot faster if truth be told given pres are probably rising faster than inflation). So you should have been able to grab at least four by now. And that is with 1g per hour, which is way lower than you can make.

It is easy to get hold of a pre, as long as you actively look to make and save the gold for it. Who knows, you may drop one in the process.

Simply trusting to fate, playing the toilet, spending all your gold on other stuff and simply expecting one because you’ve logged in for a few thousand hours and have muchos AP, well that’s probably not the best approach.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

1300 hours, every gift done except the one with 100g icy runestones.
When I farm some gold, there is always some update which take it from me (ascended crafting). I stopped caring for it. Precursor building will come in summer or even sooner. And that is the time when I finally craft my Twilight :P (but not only for skin but mainly for the ability to swap stat combinations… as I am guardian, I use GS 95% of time)

Posted by: eraser.8031

eraser.8031

Have had two out of the mystic forge 500 hours gameplay I just chuck everything gold in there.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Because of the ever progressing “Story”? Yeah, I wouldn’t either.

Posted by: Asko.4120

Asko.4120

Realistically, if precursor is your main motivation to keep playing I’d suggest considering having a small break.

Immortal Kingdom [KING]

Posted by: Melroc.8290

Melroc.8290

Because you’ll look back for the rest of your life and go “man I cant believe I spent 2000 hours on that game and STILL never got a prec”

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I dont have precursor and i dont need it.I dont care to get it.That is all i will say for this.

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

See pal, their is something you need to know about your goal of getting that drop. You know its been ruined all ready? That much time put into something that rewards a skin with a few stats more, stats you dont even need, you can just have them. Well once you have, what will you do? the weapon doesnt give you anything extra to do, and the stat jump wouldnt be significant enough to alter your wvwvw play much.

Simply put, the worst thing than not getting your dreams is getting them.

Also, just get exotics and pretend that is the best gear, it really works.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Assuming you were working a minimum wage job for every hour you’ve “wasted”, you could’ve probably bought your precursor with said 20,000USD.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

3806 hours. Only 1 precursor.

meow.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

Hey bro… Op … brOp… BRO-P

I played an absurd amount since beta and got my first precursor drop just in the past week or two (time.. blurs.. can’t keep track as my mind fades and I grow older). I gave it to my wife so that she could create a pretty pink greatsword for her favorite character (an asura warrior). {along with the majority of my T6 mats which, coincidentally, combined with everything she had saved, were not enough to complete the kitten thing}

Hang in there, sure it’s not a GRIND because that’s not FUN! Just do what is FUN and your repetitive task that you perform for the next X hours will not be qualified as a GRIND.

To quote Colin: “I swung a sword, I swung a sword again Hey! I swung it again, that’s great”

Keep on rock’n in the free world!

Posted by: Freedan.1769

Freedan.1769

See pal, their is something you need to know about your goal of getting that drop. You know its been ruined all ready? That much time put into something that rewards a skin with a few stats more, stats you dont even need, you can just have them. Well once you have, what will you do? the weapon doesnt give you anything extra to do, and the stat jump wouldnt be significant enough to alter your wvwvw play much.

Simply put, the worst thing than not getting your dreams is getting them.

Also, just get exotics and pretend that is the best gear, it really works.

I will defend those interested in pre-cursors by pointing out two things: First, precursors give an incredible advantage to individuals who have them because their stats are changeable at any time, you can use any existing stat combination out of combat to make it whatever you want. To do that anywhere else you would have to lug over a dozen variations of the same weapon around to have that level of flexibility. Snap your fingers and it went to Zerker, snap again and it goes to Dire. Change on-demand….don’t smoke it.

Second, obsidian armor in GW1 was highly sought after for the difficulty in obtaining it, not for any advantage it gave(it had none). Mocking others for the effort they put into attaining something as a goal, even in a game, makes no one a better person. To put another way: no pro basketball player makes a single product by being an MVP-type player. Argue all you want they get more money, they make bank whether they are terrible or great. I prefer to think its about the personal goal, not the thing itself or money.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Yes the RNG is strong in GW2.

You play 2000 hours, no precursor.

Some other guy play 200 hours, 3 precursors.

kitten the system. Start a riot.

Freedan.1769

Assuming you were working a minimum wage job for every hour you’ve “wasted”, you could’ve probably bought your precursor with said 20,000USD.

I just wanted to say; that’s like going to a LAN party and saying that game of Starcraft I won because I paid everybody to lose on purpose. The point of any recreational activity is not to pay your way into something, its to actually win it(this generally includes having fun). Ever heard of a bowling trophy that was won by sticking money in the vending machine by the seats? I haven’t. It wouldn’t even be a bragging right if you could because you did nothing to earn it.

PS: People play games because if they only ever worked they would never find enjoyment. I hate arguments about how someone played games and “wasted” earning potential; speak for your own priorities, not everyone cares to bow to the almighty dollar every hour of their day.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

So 4.5k hours and done champs, dungeons et al (as in run them for money, not kill one champ then that’s it for the day) and you still haven’t saved enough for a pre? Perhaps you have spent it all on something else.

Your AP is totally and utterly inconsequential. You would have next to no AP if you have just tried to maximise your gold potential over that time and instead would probably have most of the legendaries.

You can pull in 5-10g an hour from champs and/or dungeons. You have always been able to pull in a similar (often greater) amount via one method or another (when factoring in inflation), the old CS farm/s, lode farm, CoF1, SSC T6 farm et al. That is without factoring in what you could make playing the TP.

Put is this way, at a paltry 1g an hour you would have enough for the most expensive pre’s within 1000 hours or so (well a lot faster if truth be told given pres are probably rising faster than inflation). So you should have been able to grab at least four by now. And that is with 1g per hour, which is way lower than you can make.

It is easy to get hold of a pre, as long as you actively look to make and save the gold for it. Who knows, you may drop one in the process.

Simply trusting to fate, playing the toilet, spending all your gold on other stuff and simply expecting one because you’ve logged in for a few thousand hours and have muchos AP, well that’s probably not the best approach.

The OP very well said a precurser DROP. I have made more than enough in my gaming to buy a precurser but I wouldn’t buy one of those overpriced items if you or anyone else gave me the money to do so, I have no plans or desire for one of the God-awful ugly not-so-legendary legendaries, I just want the money that those who must have one will spend on it.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

I see some people saying “oh 400g…1 week of farming” and “oh means you dont know how to make gold in this game”

1st. Selfish people that actually know how to farm gold wont tell people theirs little precious secret.
2nd. how can a new guy learn how to make gold (im talking about serious amounts not 10g a week aka kids play) in this game if nobody shares the info as i said at 1st point.?

btw 1300h 0 pre

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

I got my first and only precursor drop so far at like 3100hrs, and I never expected to get one tbh. If the only reason you’re still playing is because you want to drop a precursor, then yes, you should probably quit.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I see some people saying “oh 400g…1 week of farming” and “oh means you dont know how to make gold in this game”

1st. Selfish people that actually know how to farm gold wont tell people theirs little precious secret.
2nd. how can a new guy learn how to make gold (im talking about serious amounts not 10g a week aka kids play) in this game if nobody shares the info as i said at 1st point.?

btw 1300h 0 pre

Run dungeons with 300%+ mf and farm champion trains. Sell exotics on tp and salvage rares for ectos. Sell ectos for about 35s each on tp. Also all those other rare resources needed for legendary and high end crafting, molten etc.

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

btw 1300h 0 pre

Run dungeons with 300%+ mf and farm champion trains. Sell exotics on tp and salvage rares for ectos. Sell ectos for about 35s each on tp. Also all those other rare resources needed for legendary and high end crafting, molten etc.

lol the dungeon part i was expecting..but champ trains really? i must of spent 6h farming frostgorge sound champs with 200% mf and all i got was maybe 2.5g lol

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

2000 hours should easily be enough to make enough money to buy about oh… 100 precursors or so? what have you been doing to get precursors? If the answer is anything besides “farming gold to buy one” you are doing it wrong.

1600 hours no precursors, not enough money to buy one. I play WvW.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Understand that Legendaries are vanity items, you don’t need it. So it should be hard to get.

But, the way we get it is very unepic and uninspiring. RNG is very bad way providing one of the most central parts of a Legendary.

One example: I played for around 2000h and had no single precursor drop while a guildy with a bit less amount of play time had 6(!) drops(!). I know this is old story, we all know that RNG is RNG. But this can’t simply be the way. It IS unfair.

I managed to craft myself 3 Legendaries through farming gold, and sometimes I helped myself buying gems… (and now, we know why it is the crafted the way it is…)

They never should have introduced the way it is now. It should be a hard to beat content to get a precursor and a long road.

You simply notice that this part of the game is rushed and poorly implemented. Also, why the hell can we buy/sell Legendaries? This is extremely underwhelming, having a Legendary means nothing in this game. Not even that you farmed your kitten off. You can simply buy everything in this game. Even ascended ingredients for faster ascended gear.

Someone in one post told that the game suffers be cause of the gem store. And it is true. We have less inspiring and interesting content be cause the house NCSoft is in need of money. It is only symptomatic and a logical continuation of the game industry.

Micro transactions and in game stores destroyed a lot. Happy that Dark Souls II is coming soon while I finish the new Zelda for my 3DS…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Over 4,2k hours and no sight of a precursor, and I don’t really care, as long as they bring scavenger hunt so I don’t need to rely on TP’ing it’s ok.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Freedan.1769

I myself am holding out for the craftable method of getting a precursor. Like ascended crafting though, I fully expect the precursor to be stupid difficult to create. Best bet is to hoard materials and wait until its possible to craft it yourself. Get those weaponsmithing skills up to 500 while you can.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Over 4,2k hours and no sight of a precursor, and I don’t really care, as long as they bring scavenger hunt so I don’t need to rely on TP’ing it’s ok.

Been waiting on that… but slowly starting burn out waiting…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: MrContrary.1264

MrContrary.1264

You need to become comfortable with the idea that it may never, ever…ever happen. Some people could play for 20 years and not get a precursor. That’s probability. You ‘could’ get a precursor. The moment you start thinking you ‘should’ is where you fail to understand the current maths. It sucks.

(edited by MrContrary.1264)

Posted by: soulartistrb.7509

soulartistrb.7509

I have over 4k hours of game play and never got a pre drop but I’ve made 1 legendary (Howler) and sold it to make the one I really wanted Bifrost which I’m a couple of weeks away from finishing it. Save your money and buy one. Sure it sucks to not have one drop but it’s worse to feel like you’re getting screwed over when you’re not. I figure ill get one to drop for me one day but I quit getting upset and took my luck into my own hands. It’s quite satisfying to know you worked hard for it.

Lots of toons and so little time :D

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

I played for about 2.8 k hours. I never got a precursor. If I would get one I would sell it because I don’t like legendaries aesthetics-wise, because too many have them and because I don’t want to fixate more than 1k worth of gear to one character. May be if legendaries were account bound and won’t leave baby-poo footsteps behind… but nah, I would sell them anyway.

So my answer to your question: Because I have fun playing the game.