2013 is over. Did they keep their promises?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Supremelo.8437

Supremelo.8437

According to the wiki, these were the features that Arenanet intended to add in the second half of 2013:

Professions and balance
-There will be new unlockable skills and traits.
Precursors, and legendaries
-New legendary weapons.
-New types of legendary equipment (possibly a trinket).
-New precursor acquisition methods (I am aware that Arenanet later announced that this would be postponed)
sPvP
-New map types.
-It will be possible to gain legendary weapon skins in sPvP.
-Additional rewards and growth will be added to the major competitive sPvP tournaments.

Do you guys think that Arenanet adequately implemented these features?

EDIT: Here is a link to the primary source of these announcements.

(edited by Supremelo.8437)

Posted by: Blackwyn.8127

Blackwyn.8127

They’ve already said some of them got ‘over their heads’ and some of the features will be postponed til 2014.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Well, they DID add one new healing skill for each profession, which is something. But other than that, I don’t think I can see any skill that wasn’t there around the time I started playing.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Well, according to the list you typed out, no they didn’t. The new healing skill hardly qualifies for ‘new skills’ because it barely impacts any gameplay whatsoever. I was hoping for a lot more than one skill, and more impactful than a healing skill which often has no impact on build diversity or gameplay.

Still no scavenger hunt. No light at the end of that tunnel yet.

No new legendary weapons, although some current ones got new models and effects.

Eh, I would say they definately over shot for their goals this year. Was it a legitimate case of being over-zealous? Or another tactic to generate some hype…much like pre launch?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Well, they DID add one new healing skill for each profession, which is something. But other than that, I don’t think I can see any skill that wasn’t there around the time I started playing.

There’s actually 2 healing skills per profession.

However I was hoping more than that like having to unlock different weapon sets for each weapon set we already have…like having the weapon set #2 as default skill set for your chosen weapons. So for example, as a Thief, we can have set#1 and set#2 for a P/P weapon set, then we get to choose which set would be the default.

But alas, we get what we get.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Sigh… It’s this thread again.

You are the very reason that drives developers into not giving out any more info than what it necessary. If for one reason or another they can’t deliver that you jump on them like a pack of rabid wolves demanding them to deliver.

Sometimes things don’t go as planned, deal with it.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

You are the very reason that drives developers into not giving out any more info than what it necessary. If for one reason or another they can’t deliver that you jump on them like a pack of rabid wolves demanding them to deliver.

Yes, shame on you customer for wanting to know what to expect in the future. How dare you expect them to live up to advertisements they make. Could you imagine a world where we held people accountable for things they say? It would be toxic madness!

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Yes, shame on you customer for wanting to know what to expect in the future. How dare you expect them to live up to advertisements they make. Could you imagine a world where we held people accountable for things they say? It would be toxic madness!

The problem is mostly that any comment made by the devs in any context is automatically jumped on as being a “promise”, something that is instantly “owed” to the player base and where any failure to meet that expectation is automatically written off as the devs being malicious, lazy and/or incompetent.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Were all those actual promises and did they say it would be in 2013?
I am asking because
1. I honestly don’t know.
2. Often a maybe, might, perhaps, at some point, eventually, etc. etc. is counted as a promise, while it clearly is just a hope to accomplish it. Even vague hints can be seen like promises by some. This is not really fair, because those formulations are NOT promises, you can think oh we might get that at some point, sure sounds great, hope it comes soon.
Not saying this is what happening here, as I said I honestly don’t know their exact words and if their formulation made it a clear promise and not just a hopes and dreams and wants, then ofc. it is a shame that they didn’t get it done.

I know however it is rare that they make those absolute promises, because sometimes they don’t get it done like that, and if they are absolute promises people kinda have a right to complain at least a little.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Eh, I would say they definately over shot for their goals this year. Was it a legitimate case of being over-zealous? Or another tactic to generate some hype…much like pre launch?

Isn’t that what they do best? Overhyping on blog post and then letting down once the stuff goes live (when it does…)

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet's_MMO_Manifesto_trailer

it counts clearly as “promises”.
someone says it’s only marketing. or just hopes and dreams
not imho.
others says they keep their word…..mmmh.
judge yourselves

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I believe they did, because I could not find anywhere where they actually said “I promise this…” or “I promise that…”

I do see places where they said they were going to do this or that in 2013 and then honestly say they wouldn’t be able to get to it as fast as they thought.

Honestly. Taking things so strictly is just not realistic or reasonable. I don’t know a single person alive that can say they have done everything they said they would do when they would do it. Glass houses people.

Give the devs and the company a break.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Not really, but lets be honest, it’s free to play, no sub. Maybe we should be glad they added anything at all, even if it was living story crap and a gear grind.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

They didn’t promise anything.

They planned.

Big difference.

It is your fault for construing their plans oor goals and take it as a deadline that must be met, or else.

As someone mentioned above, posts like this is exactly why Anet would rather shut up and not say anything about future content. People like OP construe it as a fact and a promise when all they want to do is give the fanbase a vision of what to expect and hope for.

(edited by Vol.7601)

Ethics.4519

The problem is mostly that any comment made by the devs in any context is automatically jumped on as being a “promise”, something that is instantly “owed” to the player base and where any failure to meet that expectation is automatically written off as the devs being malicious, lazy and/or incompetent.

If a company advertises that a product will do something, and it does not, they are liable to the claim. Just because they didn’t say “I pinky promise this will cure your flu” doesn’t meant they aren’t held accountable for what they advertise.\

Not really, but lets be honest, it’s free to play, no sub. Maybe we should be glad they added anything at all, even if it was living story crap and a gear grind.

Or maybe the company should be glad it still has customers.

RIP in peace Robert

Vol.7601

Please read over the exact blog post again.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

• “As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.” *

jheryn.8390

If a company advertises that a product will do something, and it does not, they are liable to the claim. Just because they didn’t say “I pinky promise this will cure your flu” doesn’t meant they aren’t held accountable for what they advertise.

First of all, they were not “advertising” anything. They were talking about what they wanted to do this year. They didn’t guaranty anything. That is your mistake for construing it as such.

Secondly, this is an artistic endeavor. They are creating content. Development and implementation of artistic creations are held to different standards and guidelines.

It’s not my day job, but I am a musician and arrange and write music for choirs and orchestras. When someone commissions me to write something original, I give them an approximate time it will be done. It isn’t always done by the time they wish they could have it. Some things take longer than you think they will.

Same thing applies here. They are creating original content. Sometimes it will take longer than they think it will. And they are dealing with many mediums here not just one like I do.

They are dealing with, artwork, music, dialog/acting, written content, and computer programming. Getting all of these things coordinated and implemented timely will never be easy or exact for them.

EDIT: Vol and Morrigan: +1 to you both.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

I’m still waiting for the leaderboard that was supposed to be implemented with the Fractured update.
The one that my progress was reset for.
The one that no one wanted.
It’s been over a month.

Ethics.4519

If a company advertises that a product will do something, and it does not, they are liable to the claim. Just because they didn’t say “I pinky promise this will cure your flu” doesn’t meant they aren’t held accountable for what they advertise.

First of all, they were not “advertising” anything. They were talking about what they wanted to do this year. They didn’t guaranty anything. That is your mistake for construing it as such.

Secondly, this is an artistic endeavor. They are creating content. Development and implementation of artistic creations are held to different standards and guidelines.

It’s not my day job, but I am a musician and arrange and write music for choirs and orchestras. When someone commissions me to write something original, I give them an approximate time it will be done. It isn’t always done by the time they wish they could have it. Some things take longer than you think they will.

Same thing applies here. They are creating original content. Sometimes it will take longer than they think it will. And they are dealing with many mediums here not just one like I do.

They are dealing with, artwork, music, dialog/acting, written content, and computer programming. Getting all of these things coordinated and implemented timely will never be easy or exact for them.

If you take too long, or you just scrap it, you don’t get any money correct?

One issue is they already got their money through sales

The other issue is that they earn profits from gems. I know that I will not spend any more money on gems to this company, unless they turn it around.

You guys are getting caught up on the word “promise”. It boils down to the developers, imo, making a string of statements that they don’t live up to.

RIP in peace Robert

jheryn.8390

You guys are getting caught up on the word “promise”. It boils down to the developers, imo, making a string of statements that they don’t live up to.

^Semantics.

Ethics.4519

^Semantics.

Indeed

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Never vote.

Vol.7601

If you take too long, or you just scrap it, you don’t get any money correct?

The other issue is that they earn profits from gems. I know that I will not spend any more money on gems to this company, unless they turn it around.

All I see here is Anet making the statement that

“We plan on X content releasing in the 2nd half of 2013. Of course, this is subject to change”

jheryn.8390

^Semantics.

Indeed

You do realize that “advertising” is NOT a semantic version of “discussing what you want to happen” right? Advertising is a guaranty. Discussing plans or intentions is not.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

• “As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.” *

This is the blogpost that should be discussed – not a wiki page that just includes the small subset of items that are still to be implemented (the wiki page is labeled “future” because it doesnt include anything that has been implemented yet).

True, they did not get everything in they planned to (thus the disclaimer), but its obvious they are making progress and working to make them all a reality as quickly as possible (cant think of a reason they would be delaying any of these items that doesn’t sound like a crazy conspiracy theory).

To clarify further, the blog post is not an advertisement – its the developers allowing some insight into their future plans, with the understanding that we are smart enough to know that timelines change and move. Would people rather they didnt say anything about future plans? If we want some transparency, then we have to understand that not everything can be written in stone (common sense).

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Vol.7601

This is the blogpost that should be discussed – not a wiki page that just includes the small subset of items that are still to be implemented (the wiki page is labeled “future” because it doesnt include anything that has been implemented yet).

True, they did not get everything in they planned to (thus the disclaimer), but its obvious they are making progress and working to make them all a reality as quickly as possible (cant think of a reason they would be delaying any of these items that doesn’t sound like a crazy conspiracy theory).

To clarify further, the blog post is not an advertisement – its the developers allowing some insight into their future plans, with the understanding that we are smart enough to know that timelines change and move. Would people rather they didnt say anything about future plans? If we want some transparency, then we have to understand that not everything can be written in stone (common sense).

It’s only a matter of time before some players start wondering why devs didn’t ‘promise’ the content they discussed in CDI’s :|

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

For the most part they not given any time tables for there things your talking about. At the rate ppl are “making up time table” as you are they will never give us any more time when things will be ready. So thank you for pushing Anet into more back room time tables.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Ethics.4519

For the most part they not given any time tables for there things your talking about. At the rate ppl are “making up time table” as you are they will never give us any more time when things will be ready. So thank you for pushing Anet into more back room time tables.

Does it matter if everything is subject to change anyway?

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

This statement right here is where the posters mind set is wrong. They got money for the game we bought back last year. Guess what we got our money’s worth, and they got our money. The nice thing is they are still releasing content to us after that. If that statement is correct above, then they shouldn’t have to release any thing to us. They could just let us play the game we bought, without adding anything after the intial release, correct?

Hjorje

(edited by Moderator)

Hjorje.9453

I did read your whole post. I choose that statement because of the way you post was written. If you meant it another way it should have been clearer.

But I see statements made by ANET through a different thinking process. I am a developer also, not games but database and database applications, so when I see a statement of intent, I understand what they are talking about. They never gave us any fixed dates for any of the planned content. They stated they would like it to be ready in this quarter or that quarter. But when developing something, the more moving parts you have, the longer a planned objection can take because something not forseen comes up you need to work out.

Based on us getting the statements in 2013, I am willing to bet everything in that statement will be introduced in 2014. I feel they did a good job of putting out certain content from their statements and can see the rest coming sooner rather then later.

And as to my statement about not arguing. I have been a forum poster since the start of the game. Everyone has their opinion, but on this forum there is no middle ground. It is getting to the point that even stating an opposite opinion is going to lead to very good feedback or even finding middle ground.

Hjorje

Ethics.4519

@ Hjorje, that was a much better post. So thanks for actually replying with some content.

The blog was entitled “Looking Ahead: Guild Wars 2 in 2013” Which leads the reader into believing those are the plans for 2013, AKA finished by 2014. There was even a dev post where they said they meant to have that all done by 2014, but some things, most notably the precursor hunt, would not make it on time.

They almost never put timelines on the things they say, and that is irritating enough. I think it’s perfectly valid to be upset by this, and also to be displeased that something isn’t done when we are lead to believe it will be done.

Also, do not blame me for your misinterpretation. I inferred exactly what I wanted to infer.

RIP in peace Robert

Hjorje.9453

I try, but as you probably know the forums can bring the worse out in us.

While I do agree with you that a reader could be lead to believing it would be done in 2013 (which if it is any conselation, I was really looking forward to all of it also), as I stated above the development process always has the ability to find something so far out there no one thought it type of problem creap up.

As to my misinterpretation, this could also be stated about the “Looking Ahead: Guild Wars in 2013” blog post. I try when writing on here to make sure I put things as clear and dumbed down as possible so more people will actually understand what I am trying to convey. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t. At least we was able to have a good discussion on the subject.

Hjorje

Kevan.8912

This statement right here is where the posters mind set is wrong. They got money for the game we bought back last year. Guess what we got our money’s worth, and they got our money. The nice thing is they are still releasing content to us after that. If that statement is correct above, then they shouldn’t have to release any thing to us. They could just let us play the game we bought, without adding anything after the intial release, correct?

the funny part is…
yes, and i think that i would still love the game if they let it as it was at the beginning or nearly it. (while now because of their “new content” many of us left the game)
it would be more coherent with what they “promised\announced\expected to do” (choose the philosophically correct word. np).

many of what anet introduced, such as fotm and ascended and infusions and laurels, is just a palliative.

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

According to the wiki, these were the features that Arenanet intended to add in the second half of 2013:

Professions and balance
-New legendary weapons.
-New precursor acquisition methods (I am aware that Arenanet later announced that this would be postponed)
sPvP
-New map types.
-Additional rewards and growth will be added to the major competitive sPvP tournaments.

It makes total sense to me to just do all of the legendary stuff as a legendary patch. So I can understand just postpostoning all of the stuff until they have the new acquisition methods ready.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

They planned.

Big difference.

It is your fault for construing their plans oor goals and take it as a deadline that must be met, or else.

As someone mentioned above, posts like this is exactly why Anet would rather shut up and not say anything about future content. People like OP construe it as a fact and a promise when all they want to do is give the fanbase a vision of what to expect and hope for.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again here. If you’re not going to follow through on plans that get the playerbase at large excited and wanting more, then why bother mentioning it in the first place.

You’re only begging for criticism if all you can do is hype-up and spin and then not deliver.

They clearly said they’d do it in 2013 and they didn’t. If Anet were a person that had to report to their boss and say “no I didn’t meet the deadline” they’d probably be fired for it, when you have as many people playing the game as what you do here. A large portion of them are hanging out for content that has been over a year in the planning.

This is what you get when you don’t keep your mouth shut on plans and, more importantly, timeframes. Everything you did good in the year is overshadowed by everything you didn’t follow-through on.

Just one tip Anet: keep it real.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

They planned.

Big difference.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again here. If you’re not going to follow through on plans that get the playerbase at large excited and wanting more, then why bother mentioning it in the first place.

You’re only begging for criticism if all you can do is hype-up and spin and then not deliver.

They clearly said they’d do it in 2013 and they didn’t. If Anet were a person that had to report to their boss and say “no I didn’t meet the deadline” they’d probably be fired for it, when you have as many people playing the game as what you do here. A large portion of them are hanging out for content that has been over a year in the planning.

This is what you get when you don’t keep your mouth shut on plans and, more importantly, timeframes. Everything you did good in the year is overshadowed by everything you didn’t follow-through on.

Just one tip Anet: keep it real.

Sadly enough I agree. But I agree differently. I understand kitten happens. I also think that it isn’t the end of the world things got pushed back. But apparently giving deadlines causes more trouble then it’s worth. devs should just not give any out.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

They clearly said they’d do it in 2013 and they didn’t.

The, “subject to change,” disclaimer means that they said they might do it in 2013, not that they would.

“no I didn’t meet the deadline”

Except, of course, that there was no deadline.

I am pretty critical of Anet and their handling of GW2, but this particular matter is not an issue.

They could just let us play the game we bought, without adding anything after the intial release, correct?

That would have been an improvement in my opinion.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Professions and balance
-New legendary weapons.
sPvP
-New map types.

EDIT: Here is a link to the primary source of these announcements.

The things that you post here are the ones which is pending you didnt post the ones that the already done. Ex. Ascended weapons/armor, new dungeon aka TA new path, pvp changes and etc.. they’ve already stated that precusor crafting (which is a stupid idea)will not make it in 2013 so it was cleared.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

This is the most ignored sentence in the announcement:

“As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.”

Just saying…

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

“As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.”

Just saying…

This is the internet. “We’re thinking we might try something like X in the future,” means “We absolutely guarantee that we will have X ready within a week.”

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

• When you promise stuff and usually deliver, but can’t once in a while, it’s ok.
  • When you promise stuff and usually can’t deliver, but do once in a while, it’s not ok.

Anet is definitely in the “can’t deliver” department.

knives.6345

Just saying…

This is the internet. “We’re thinking we might try something like X in the future,” means “We absolutely guarantee that we will have X ready within a week.”

Yeah because people stops reading after they read what they want. Maybe next time ANet should put this sentence at the top. Or maybe after every phrase. lol

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha. Chris does that^ in the CDI threads, but I don’t think it will do any good. =(

Kevan.8912

Just saying…

it’s not correct.
nobody (or at least, not the larger part of players) is really whining about what anet didn’t yet deliver because a delay.
people complain about what THEY DID against what was quite clearly a promise,
as they sold the game to thousands of people thanks of it, people like me that if knew about grinding for BiS (i stress it once again. some of you are trying to convince other people that ascend\infuse is not required, and it’s optional. and everybody knews they are mandatory) exotics and legendaries, would never buy the game.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Are they mandatory? I didn’t get the memo, dang it! I have no need for AR, as I don’t do Fractals, and very little WvW. When I do enter WvW, I don’t seem to be at a great disadvantage, but…I guess…that’s just me.

I may, or may not, eventually get some Ascended Gear, but I’m certainly not going out of my way for it. I guess ‘mandatory’ is kind of ‘optional’ for some. /shrug

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Just saying…

it’s not correct.
nobody (or at least, not the larger part of players) is really whining about what anet didn’t yet deliver because a delay.
as they sold the game to thousands of people thanks of it, people like me that if knew about grinding for BiS (i stress it once again. some of you are trying to convince other people that ascend\infuse is not required, and it’s optional. and everybody knews they are mandatory) exotics and legendaries, would never buy the game.

You’re in the wrong thread, mate. The Manifesto one is over there somewhere.

The OP of this thread is about the blog-post where ANet outlined what they wanted to do in 2013, and how many of these ‘promises’ (read: intentions) they implemented.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

knives.6345

Just saying…

it’s not correct.

wat?

Are you the example of the person I just described above? lol

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And it is threads like these that makes developers not wanting to share plans or information about things they are working on.

People complain when devs aren’t open about what they do.
But can we really blame them when every single thing they say are suddenly a “promise” even though they make it clear that it is a plan and subject to change?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Did they keep their promises? – Yes

Vol.7601

Do I have to keep posting the disclaimer or are you guys going to conveniently ignore it?

•“As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.” *