3rd Birthday Gift [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Taimi Dye Kit = Best Birthday EVER!

My new Electric Yellow just made me the Shiniest of Shinies!!!

Side note – RIP luxury dye market

Nah. There are too many players who haven’t gotten the dyes vs the rate of players hitting their 3 year birthday. New players may not want to wait 3 years to get a dye. Or if the selection of the exact dye is still RNG based, they may not get the dye they want. And the dyes are account bound so it won’t affect the price that way.

On the opposite end to that, new players can’t afford to pay 1k Gold for a dye. Which is why I said RIP luxury dye market. Dyes will still be sold, yes. But it won’t hit such high prices due to the free account bound selection.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I actually really like the new finisher, but I hope the sword it features is released on the gemstore or something….

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Haha! Kittenty kitten kitten over a kitten… I have all the kitten dyes, what a useless piece of kitten birthday gift.

Did i mention kitten yet?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Each character on account gets the dye right? :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i don’t get why electro blue is 1k gold…

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Nah. There are too many players who haven’t gotten the dyes vs the rate of players hitting their 3 year birthday. New players may not want to wait 3 years to get a dye. Or if the selection of the exact dye is still RNG based, they may not get the dye they want. And the dyes are account bound so it won’t affect the price that way.

On the opposite end to that, new players can’t afford to pay 1k Gold for a dye. Which is why I said RIP luxury dye market. Dyes will still be sold, yes. But it won’t hit such high prices due to the free account bound selection.

first Q.Q their are never good birthday presents only things like 55th Jennah Mini and now anet gave us an for every ! 3th birtdhay char useful and shiny acc bound present and now the Q.Q anet destroy the market is starting?

Really?! O.o

Come on…

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

1 dye out of how many? How many 3 years could one have to do to get them all if it is random past the selection of which kit? Or even if it’s not.

Some new players are likely willing to open up their real life pocket book to buy the dyes or spend hours farming the gold to get it. Or a combination of the two.

I highly doubt it’s the end of the luxury dye market.

If the dyes aren’t available at all except through the 3rd year birthday gift, eventually the markets for these dyes will dry up anyway once the supply runs out. So in the end, it’s probably a moot point which will kill the market first, price drops due to the birthday gifts or just supply being completely bought out.

Seera.5916

Each character on account gets the dye right? :o

Each one that hits its 3rd year birthday as the birthdays are character specific.

Smooth Penguin.5294

first Q.Q their are never good birthday presents only things like 55th Jennah Mini and now anet gave us an for every ! 3th birtdhay char useful and shiny acc bound present and now the Q.Q anet destroy the market is starting?

Really?! O.o

Come on…

I learned my lesson long ago to never trust Anet when it comes to luxury good markets. That’s why I didn’t invest in Taimi Dyes. I’m just talking about how the market will be taking a major hit. It’s not really a QQ, but rather an observation.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Even though you can’t sell the dye you picked, it could end up reducing demand which may pull prices down for the rest of us. Time will tell.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

cuz someone picked that one specifically to monopolize and probably only had enough gold to do it for one.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Zaron.1987

Really?! O.o

Come on…

I learned my lesson long ago to never trust Anet when it comes to luxury good markets. That’s why I didn’t invest in Taimi Dyes. I’m just talking about how the market will be taking a major hit. It’s not really a QQ, but rather an observation.

and the reason is this game wasnt made primary for speculants.

well done this time anet

ty very much for this birthday present

(same as dungeon selling its ok for anet but never expect support ^^ )

(edited by Zaron.1987)

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

B/day gifts sound great! thank you Anet and happy B/day to u too.

How many dye choices are there? Not logged in yet today but was wondering if they’re gonna start duplicating if u have many alts. I have 9 chars atm with soon be 10-11 so it would be nice to get a different one for each eventually.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I have to admit though, if I was someone who had a 1000 plus gold dye listed to sell, I would be upset. I wonder how long it will be before we see the first angry thread on the forum from one of the sellers of the ultra expensive dyes.

Hi, I’m not angry at all about it.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

You have a lot of choices. You won’t have to worry about duplicating unless you have a LOT of alts. Like….maybe 30+

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

cuz someone picked that one specifically to monopolize and probably only had enough gold to do it for one.

seems about right i guess, i wonder which smarty would actually pay 1k for that crappy dye

Seera.5916

Question: Do you get to choose the dye you get or is it random after selecting which dye kit to get?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Looks like I’m going to get 7 of these dyes in the next 2 weeks. This is going to require some thought and a lot of dye previewing.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Smooth Penguin.5294

1 dye out of how many? How many 3 years could one have to do to get them all if it is random past the selection of which kit? Or even if it’s not.

Some new players are likely willing to open up their real life pocket book to buy the dyes or spend hours farming the gold to get it. Or a combination of the two.

I highly doubt it’s the end of the luxury dye market.

If the dyes aren’t available at all except through the 3rd year birthday gift, eventually the markets for these dyes will dry up anyway once the supply runs out. So in the end, it’s probably a moot point which will kill the market first, price drops due to the birthday gifts or just supply being completely bought out.

I’d really hate to derail this thread by turning into an economic lesson, so I’ll simplify my response without a wall of text.

Luxury goods are high priced but slow moving markets. Supply is low, and Demand is high because some of these dyes are the best in the game. Only people with a lot of Gold can afford to purchase these goods. With Anet giving out free access to such luxury goods, you kill the exclusivity, which kills Demand. People like me who were about to buy certain dyes for personal use, now remove that potential transaction from the market. Why pay 1k Gold when I can get the same thing for free many times over due to many 3 y/o toon slots. So what if there’s only 1 dye left in the world. If the millions of players who potentially wanted it now have it unlocked for free, that lone dye loses all appeal, and just sits there. So again, the market is still alive for dyes, just not for the luxury prices they once were.

Back on topic, each and every one of my alts will be getting this lovely gift. Anet just proved to me why spending so much money on Gems was worth it. This company knows how to redeem itself in a glorious way.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Well, not too bad at all. Over time that’s going to give me (and others) a chance at some of the most expensive, out of reach dyes in the game. The level 30 scroll though…. I guess I’ll use one on my Rev then I don’t know after that. My key runners I guess. The teleports will probably be of situational use. If I’m going to get 5 eventually for all my chars, I guess I can use them frivolously sometimes.

Thank you ANet. A very nice birthday present.

I can see the teleports becoming more useful since they are going more towards the route in zones crafted like Silverwastes.

Fewer Places to teleport to.

So its a way to at least say “Hey! someone near area X party with me real fast!”

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

There aren’t a huge number of people that are 3 years old, tho.

True, but theres ppl that have like 10 + alt that hit 3 years in the neariest months, so with that kinda huge number

“Death is just another path”

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

Im one who realy like when items gets rare and expensive, even tho I dont have any off that on the market, I still lake the rare"inest"

“Death is just another path”

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I learned a really valuable lesson from Al Bundy from married with children long ago:
“Nothing is so stupid that some idiot will not be able to sell an item to an even bigger idiot. Of course, that only applies if you do not meet the queen of the idiots.”
Of course he meant that to highlight that he indeed had married the queen of idiots with Peggy, but the point is basically an universal one.

If someone is really stupid enough to invest 1000g for a dye, it will happen, despite how much it is a slap in the face of common sense.^^

Wisdom from the ages.

Gone to Reddit.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I have to admit though, if I was someone who had a 1000 plus gold dye listed to sell, I would be upset. I wonder how long it will be before we see the first angry thread on the forum from one of the sellers of the ultra expensive dyes.

Hi, I’m not angry at all about it.

Someone else will be. Trust me. Lol. We already have one angry post from someone who has all the dyes and got “worthless” birthday presents.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Smooth Penguin.5294

There aren’t a huge number of people that are 3 years old, tho.

With around 5 million copies of GW2 sold, even with a small percentage of active players, there’s still a lot of people. If a lot of those players stopped playing, their toons remain. So if you got the game from the beginning, made a toon, and haven’t logged in since, your toon will still get the 3rd year B-day gift.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Realistically, I was never going to pay 1,000 gold for electro blue.
Now I can sport the color without having to.

The market didn’t change at all except that I’ll now be a mobile billboard for how cool the dye is for ice-themed characters (hail Jormag!). Unless you think there were lots of people ‘on the cusp’ considering buying it for that much who also happened to be close enough to a third b-day to wait patiently…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Zaron.1987

Welcome Q.Q Speculants

Smooth Penguin.5294

Realistically, I was never going to pay 1,000 gold for electro blue.
Now I can sport the color without having to.

The market didn’t change at all except that I’ll now be a mobile billboard for how cool the dye is for ice-themed characters (hail Jormag!). Unless you think there were lots of people ‘on the cusp’ considering buying it for that much who also happened to be close enough to a third b-day to wait patiently…

I was gonna buy the Electric Yellow in the next few days. Thank Dwayna for my patience.

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Question: Do you get to choose the dye you get or is it random after selecting which dye kit to get?

You choose a dye kit and then you select an individual dye from that kit. There’s no randomisation at all. Pure choice.

I’d also like to add my voice to other people saying that this is a very nice gift. I was a bit snarky in the lead up the third birthday and had very low expectations for what Anet had planned, but I like this a lot. Every character that hits 3 years old is going to find the rare dyes nice and the level 30 booster scroll is basically equivalent to 2 Black Lion keys via the Personal Story if you have no interest in levelling new characters. They clearly put thought into how to avoid another Mini Queen Jennah situation and I’m grateful for it.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

Welp now at least I can do some key farming knowing I’ll be getting even more scrolls to make up for those used. Not sure if I’d be bothered using them on anything bar my revenants seeing as everyone is already at least level 22.

Welp, time to buy level 30 gear for my key farmer!

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I just got a few of these Celebratory Dye Packs. Can anyone tell me, before I do something stupid, can you go back after selecting the kit you want a dye from, or is the Celebratory Pack replaced by the kit you choose?

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

I just got a few of these Celebratory Dye Packs. Can anyone tell me, before I do something stupid, can you go back after selecting the kit you want a dye from, or is the Celebratory Pack replaced by the kit you choose?

The Celebratory pack is replaced by the kit you choose.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think we’ve established that smooth penguins are statistical outliers in financial matters .

I’ll be picking up eletro blue because I actually wanted it (not just because it’s the most expensive — its a great tool for creating corrupted ice effects on armor), and probably one other high value dye (above 200g). I’d get shadow abyss just for giggles if the shadow dyes become valid (I have three other shadow dyes that actually blend much better than abyss). I think there are probably two 50g-ish dyes I’ll get… and then the other 4-5 of these gifts I’m getting this month will probably go into storage to wait and see if later kits get rotated in. With around 20 character slots the third B-day is gonna be the gift that keeps on giving.

But it does mean I don’t have to offer up prayers to the Six that the Taimi kit would be part of the anniversary sale this year. That’s kinda a relief, really. My luck on those is mediocre.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Thank you ArenaNet.

Manasa Devi.7958

Thanks, I suspected it would be, since it works that way with some of the 2-choice ascended boxes, but it’s good to be sure. I’ll be playing around with the dye preview instead of my celebratory pack then.

Manasa Devi.7958

Fixing the forum.

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Actually I’m feeling pretty good about it all right now.
Development took the time to let the WvW community know that they were aware of the WvW issues, and they left us with some positive feedback about the upcoming changes.

I couldn’t be happier right now

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Well this will pretty much destroy the dye market now that you can get 1 account bound dye of your choosing per 3 yr old character on your account.

So now supply hasn’t been increased (since you cant trade them) but demand has plummeted which now means all dye will normalize to some low figure most likely.

wait…. we get 1 account bound dye of OUR choosing for our birthday? JOY Happy Dance

where does one get a time machine when they need it?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Welp now at least I can do some key farming knowing I’ll be getting even more scrolls to make up for those used. Not sure if I’d be bothered using them on anything bar my revenants seeing as everyone is already at least level 22.

Welp, time to buy level 30 gear for my key farmer!

I was thinking about that. The next key, iirc, is the first level 40 story so at least it will only be 3 sets of story lines to go through.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

Happy Birthday Guildwars 2 !!

Can’t wait to log in after work and see the shiny gifts

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well this will pretty much destroy the dye market now that you can get 1 account bound dye of your choosing per 3 yr old character on your account.

So now supply hasn’t been increased (since you cant trade them) but demand has plummeted which now means all dye will normalize to some low figure most likely.

wait…. we get 1 account bound dye of OUR choosing for our birthday? JOY Happy Dance

‘O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!’ He chortled in his joy. ^^

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Thanks, I suspected it would be, since it works that way with some of the 2-choice ascended boxes, but it’s good to be sure. I’ll be playing around with the dye preview instead of my celebratory pack then.

Good question, that would be a life saver for me…

Thanks buddy!

I can’t wait to get mine, i am having 4~5 cha reaching 3 years old in couple months.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I just wanted to let everyone know that the dye you get is account bound (even though it doesn’t day it is). So no selling on the trading post.

It says so right in the tooltip.

“Double-click to choose from a large selection of account-bound dyes.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m interested in hearing what they mean about the challenging group content. My guess it’s going to be open pve raid style bosses, like Teq but harder.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

If you already have all the dyes in the game like me, better not opening the kits you can stack them (takes less space in the bank, for a useless gift in that case )

We’re in the same boat. Stupid useless gift unless these can be used for dyes that are released later

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

I love seeing so many happy players.
This is one of the best ideas from ArenaNet.

Tiger Ashante.1792

could some 1 clarify this. if i choose say Taimi’s dye pack, will i then be able to choose which dye i want form that pack? or will i simply get a random one?

Smooth Penguin.5294

could some 1 clarify this. if i choose say Taimi’s dye pack, will i then be able to choose which dye i want form that pack? or will i simply get a random one?

As others have stated, you get to CHOOSE which Electric Dye you want.

So go forth, and shine in your new colors!

Tiger Ashante.1792

As others have stated, you get to CHOOSE which Electric Dye you want.

So go forth, and shine in your new colors!

Haha ty so much SP, i will try my best and tnx for the answer

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Wish I had read this before I opened my dye. I didn’t know all the prices and just started randomly picking them. Its ok I got a couple more toons coming up with 3rd birthday.