A foolproof way to make us happy.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

I play a support/heals mesmer. I’ve always veered towards tanking or heals. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, there are two types of mmo’ers.

The selfish, rock star dps, who demands the spotlight, and the tanks/heals who really keep the ship afloat. If dps is the lead guitar, then tanks are the drummers, who set the pace, and heals are the bass, who hold down the line and keep it going.

Point being that I highly suspect that all the Traherne haters are rock star dps types, and they so hate sharing the spotlight. They so hate that anyone but them could save the world, and that in fact it takes actual cooperation and unity in order to dominate.

Eat rocks dps, cry me a river. Be ressing you soon.

I played 90% of the time as a healer in other MMOs, yet I still can’t seem to relate even remotely to Traherne. You meet him, your mentor dies, you’re stuck with him without being able to choose anything. I felt like he popped out of nowhere to replace my mentor, who had to die in order to create a dramatic feel.

So yeah, I’d definitely kill him if I could.

I’m still not sure what ppl are so upset about as far as Peronal choices and whatnot. Tre AND You are being swept up in history. You have BOTH been caught up whithin a saga much bigger and older then both of you. I think there is a point being made here about working together though, that Is Prevelant throughout the game.

Let me say that one more time: I think there is a point being made here about working together, that is Prevelant Throughout the game.

So many ppl feel slighted, because in their personal story, they were asked to ONLY be the one being who unified the three factions and all the races to fight the Elder Dragons.

But because your toon is only the advisor, i.e. the one and only person to whom the general takes advice……because you only call the shots, yet you aren’t the public face of the general, you take offense, and cry. Cry so much.

Posted by: Orion Magus.5348

Orion Magus.5348

Was expecting something serious but this will do. At least I can walk away from the forums with a smile today.

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

Was expecting something serious but this will do. At least I can walk away from the forums with a smile today.

You get out what you put in ;D

Posted by: Primal.9513

Primal.9513

My point is: I choose my faction after doing some missions to know how each one operates. Then I got to know my mentor, because he had to die afterward (and who would care if you just met him). With Traherne there is none of that.

1) you didn’t choose him.
2) He’s a replacement of your mentor, because you need a NPC to guide you trough the story
3) You barely get to know him, and can’t relate emotionally. All you know is that he’s uncertain, thinks he might not be a good leader. Then suddenly finds a magic sword and all is k.

Traherne is poorly designed in my opinion.
Destiny Edge members on the other hand, have some background story and charisma.

And yes, keep calling others whiners, that’s a real argument.

“We don’t make grindy games!”

Then GW2 is either not a game, or made by you.

Posted by: oneleggedpony.8531

oneleggedpony.8531

Have to agree with OP – trahearne just feels too wooden

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

Which then begs the question. Why do we need to have a “story guide” forced on us in the first place? Surely you can introduce characters for reasons other than having to serve as a guide?

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I don’t know about you guys, but I am eagerly looking forward to slay Trahearne on the fields of battle when his Elder Dragon shows up.

Trahearne is obviously the big ploy from the Sylvari dragon. He is not only combined Tyria’s military, science and intelligence leaders all into one centralized (vulnerable) organization, but he is the one that sits at the top and calls the shots. He’s even been a key part to destroying one of his Elder Dragon master’s rivals, as Elder Dragons are all enemies of one another.

Sadly we won’t be able to drive all the Sylvari back to whence they came, as they are a playable race so there needs to be “good guy” Sylvari. But I am sure that there will be plenty of weeds to whack, and seeing how good they are at infiltrating and amalgamating Tyria’s defences, it is going to be a long hard battle filled with a lot of intrigue.

Ok maybe that is more so just wishful thinking that we will get to fight/kill Trahearne, if anything Trahearne will probably just make some dumb line about “blah-blah-destiny, blah-blah-I-can’t-do-it”. And maybe that is more wishful thinking that the Sylvari’s Elder Dragon is going to be all about the subterfuge and giving us a real reason why there was so much haphazard amalgamations of military bodies and surrendering of sovereignty to this New-World-Order

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

“Hey, Trahearne, I’m hungry. Let’s get something to eat.”

“Very well, Commander. Orrian cuisine was once renowned across the whole of Tyria. Now, there is only Zhaitan’s all-consuming hunger.”

“Uh… right. I’m just going to get a taco here. You want one?”

“This is a taco stand.”

“…Yeah. Yeah, it’s a taco stand. Thanks for pointing that out. So… you want a taco?”

“It is well within my considerable ability to partake of tacos, Commander…”

“Right, so, is that a yes, or?…”

“…but should I eat one? Is it really appropriate for me to be snacking when the fate of Orr—the fate of Tyria itself--rests upon my shoulders?”

“Dude. It’s just a taco.”

“Very well, Commander. I will defer to your judgment in this matter and partake of the taco.”

“Great! Two tacos, if you please, oh hirsute vendor of tacos.”

“Careful, Commander. I detect lettuce in these tacos.”

“…Yeah, Trey. Thanks for the warning. Uh. Lettuce in a taco. I wouldn’t have seen that coming.”

“If I eat this… am I not a cannibal? A monster? Am I becoming the very thing I hate?”

“…”

Honestly, I like the character concept of Trahaerne.

How he’s written, though, is… well, let’s just call it uneven, and leave it at that.

+10 internets for you!

Posted by: endless.1376

endless.1376

He led of a group of people that didn’t want to work together initially into a land filled with undead. He was necessary to get them working together, and honestly I think the story was very moving.

Posted by: Illiander.8049

Illiander.8049

Ok, the serious problem with Trahearne is his writing and voice acting (and the fact that he’s obviously a DMPC/Mary Sue/wasn’t introduced properly). If he was written and voiced as well as Tybalt or Serien (or half the random Asura, Skritt or Quaggans) no-one would mind anywhere near so much about working with him for half the plot.

Playing on Gentoo.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

“I have a trick up my sleeve.” Trahearne summons the dead.

Player: “Wait… What’s the difference between you and Zhaitan?”

Trahearne: “…”

“Get him!”

Save the dragons. Make Trahearne the next antagonist. No one showing that much lack of emotion can be good.

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

hmmm i dont think trahearne is a really bad character the problem is he has no emotions , his character design is rather cool in my opinion…

when i saw that wanted poster i started thinking like hmmmm wild hunts ! hunting certain bosslike creatures in the world.

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Posted by: Azzrael Deathbane.4965

Azzrael Deathbane.4965

Weed ’em out, whack ’em, and lettuce be the hero of our story

^.^

Very funny lol

“Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.”

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Have to agree with OP – trahearne just feels too wooden

This is a horrible pun, and borders on racism. Shame on you.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

I don’t know about you guys, but I am eagerly looking forward to slay Trahearne on the fields of battle when his Elder Dragon shows up.

Trahearne is obviously the big ploy from the Sylvari dragon. He is not only combined Tyria’s military, science and intelligence leaders all into one centralized (vulnerable) organization, but he is the one that sits at the top and calls the shots. He’s even been a key part to destroying one of his Elder Dragon master’s rivals, as Elder Dragons are all enemies of one another.

Sadly we won’t be able to drive all the Sylvari back to whence they came, as they are a playable race so there needs to be “good guy” Sylvari. But I am sure that there will be plenty of weeds to whack, and seeing how good they are at infiltrating and amalgamating Tyria’s defences, it is going to be a long hard battle filled with a lot of intrigue.

Ok maybe that is more so just wishful thinking that we will get to fight/kill Trahearne, if anything Trahearne will probably just make some dumb line about “blah-blah-destiny, blah-blah-I-can’t-do-it”. And maybe that is more wishful thinking that the Sylvari’s Elder Dragon is going to be all about the subterfuge and giving us a real reason why there was so much haphazard amalgamations of military bodies and surrendering of sovereignty to this New-World-Order

Spoiler alert: The sylvari are not dragon minions. There’s no sylvari dragon.

We don’t see any risen, branded, icebrood or destroyer moa birds either — does that mean that moa birds are super secret dragon minions too? By all evidence they are immune to dragon corruption as well, the only thing preventing it from being canonical is there’s apparently no one in the lore that’s made such claims yet.

^^ This kind of “evidence” is what the “sylvari are dragon minions!” theory is based in. ^^

Moving on.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Kerithlan.1659)

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Cover him in salad dressing and feed him to the vegetarians!!!

>:)

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

The moment Trahearne became the leader I knew I would be forced to go visit Orr.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Spoiler alert: The sylvari are not dragon minions. There’s no sylvari dragon.

We don’t see any risen, branded, icebrood or destroyer moa birds either — does that mean that moa birds are super secret dragon minions too? By all evidence they are immune to dragon corruption as well, the only thing preventing it from being canonical is there’s apparently no one in the lore that’s made such claims yet.

^^ This kind of “evidence” is what the “sylvari are dragon minions!” theory is based in. ^^

Moving on.

Are you sure? I read somewhere with some pretty convincing evidence that the Pale Tree was an Elder Dragon.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Moving on.

Dragon minions cannot be corrupted by other dragons. Hence why there are no risen Icebrood/Branded/Sylvari. Destroyers? Who knows, maybe they are Primordus’s minions. Moa birds?.. I haven’t seen any Risen bunny rabbits either, doesn’t mean that every single creature needs to be accounted for, and it’s not like we know that Moa birds are immune to the dragons’ corruption (like we know for a fact that Sylvari are).

Besides, immunity to the Dragons isn’t the only piece of evidence we are working with here, that would be just silly. There is evidence supporting the theory that Sylvari are Dragon minions all over the game. The Inquest sure have reason to believe that the Sylvari are Dragon minions, or at least that there is a very Sylvari-like Dragon. The Plant Dragon in the Sylvari tutorial, the Nightmare Court, the speed of their reproduction and many, many more pieces of evidence point to the Sylvari being Dragon minions.

No theory could be as popular if it was simply due to one piece of weak evidence such as “I haven’t seen any risen Moas, therefore there is a Moa Elder Dragon”. You are being intentionally obtuse here…….. you… you Sylvari Elder Dragon minion you!

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I’d prefer a giant bottle of round-up sprays on Tyria. Trahearne is the least offensive of the Sylvari tbh. I hope they move the Sylvari off to the side & focus on more classically GW flavored races. The Sylvari are ridiculously over-important. If I have to keep being TOLD by the game that they are cool something is wrong.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I play a support/heals mesmer. I’ve always veered towards tanking or heals. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, there are two types of mmo’ers.

The selfish, rock star dps, who demands the spotlight, and the tanks/heals who really keep the ship afloat. If dps is the lead guitar, then tanks are the drummers, who set the pace, and heals are the bass, who hold down the line and keep it going.

Point being that I highly suspect that all the Traherne haters are rock star dps types, and they so hate sharing the spotlight. They so hate that anyone but them could save the world, and that in fact it takes actual cooperation and unity in order to dominate.

That is so full of prejudices and stereotypes its’s disgusting.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Uzzwick.8457

Uzzwick.8457

I’d love to see that f-ggot die!

all is vain

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

People will never stop hating -_-
I like Trahearne, he is a good character and the voiceacting fits him. Yes he is no Tybalt or Rytlock. He is not meant to be like them, being different from them does not make him a worse character. I don’t feel that he steals any glory from me, I just wanna do my part in saving Tyria. I for one will stand by his side and protect him from this hateful mob, I am not his sidekick, but his friend and as he trusts me, I shall trust him.

Yes I also like Logan, he made a mistake… a big mistake. But he is only human, a mortal man… in love. People do stupid things when in love. I was so happy to see him and Rytlock at least trying to get along, trying to forgive and mend old wounds.

I even liked Kormir, that she never was any help was a mechanic… people should get over it… honestly rather have her stand there and do nothing than run off and die cough Rurik cough Master Togo cough So she rose to Godhood, that was hers to take, yes it can seem unfair to the player, but what did people honestly think? What would be off the game if we had become gods? How exactly would that have worked in lore? My human mesmer is blessed by Kormir, and proud of it.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

I actually like Trahearne.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I agree with the OP. I am no longer playing GW2 but for that I would log in again. Just for that.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I actually like Trahearne, I thought he was well designed. The only problem is that, after you’re storyline with your mentor is done, it’s all about Trahearne . I hated that they just somehow made MY storyline about some Sylvari wanting to cure Orr. I mean, Guild Wars 2 was mainly about molding YOUR hero, but nope, suddenly it’s all about Trahearne.

Other than that, his character’s pretty great.

P.S.
Kormir, in my opinion was much worse. She was woke up Abaddon, and poof! she had Godly powers. It's not that she became a god that irritated me, it's just that she suddenly forgot about her Sunspears (a.k.a. Palaway Joko started hunting them down)

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

Trahearne highlights the main problem with the PERSONAL story of gw2. Which is that the player isn’t really portrayed as a hero, and half the instances are filled with random filler npc armies. There’s no Duke Nukem style epic combat, there’s no “I took down the entire demon army on my own, I’m that good and everyone knows it”.

Without this component, there’s not enough of anything else in GW2’s writing/stories to captivate a person’s mind. It’s not like this game can be compared to reading Conan the Barbarian’s exploits, filled with violence, humor and shocking insight into human nature.

So really, since the game lacks any sort of good writing, aside from certain well-made npc dialogue, it badly needs the Conan/Duke Nukem/Bruce Lee element to actually impress/captivate.

Posted by: ninemileshigh.4536

ninemileshigh.4536

I actually like that my character isn’t the main brave hero Duke Nukem style, tho. It would imply all the other players are, too, suddenly, and that feels a bit ridiculous, being a nation of heroes. Like this, it feels closer to real-life history, where big things happened because of group effort and mutual support. It would also be very off putting when the first gank in WvW would gun you down. You slayed a dragon man, gratz! … but 2 invaders can have you for breakfast anyway, bring the salad topping.

I mean, sure, I grumbled when Trahearne got the sword after /I/ swept the dungeon and the giants clean, thanks a LOT momma tree, way to treat your kids equally… but eh. Saladbolg is not really worth it, the floating butterflies are not really my style, even if I play a very not-manly-looking sylvari elementalist, so Tre can very much keep it.

I don’t hate Trahearne though, he’s such a bookworm dork at times it’s adorable. I mean. Full-fledged fight, we barely make it to the camp in Orr and he goes: “Oh, btw Commander, this was a place where star-crossed lovers used to meet.” Like. Dude… what. Okay… are you hitting on me or something? It made me laugh every time people in instances would cheer and look up to him – they don’t know half of it. Besides, all sylvari are a bit. /intense/ in an odd sense I think. They didn’t know betrayal until humans taught them the hard way etc. They’re dreamers, Trahearne is no different. He’s a bit socially dense, but it’s how he rolls. I would have loved more plant puns thrown at him (or my sylvari) though.

(edited by ninemileshigh.4536)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I approve of this.

Trehearne is the videogame character I got to hate the most.
Not even the king of villains gets remotely clones to the suffering trehearne gets you through.

Posted by: Punisha.2041

Punisha.2041

Roll Trahearne up and smoke him.

Posted by: Chronos Khan.4539

Chronos Khan.4539

Why all the hate on Trahearne? I liked him…

Now Logan, there’s a guy to hate.

The self proclaimed mayor of Lion’s Arch
watch my GW2 vids at:
youtube.com/valentinogames

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I just want Trahearne to put on some armor besides the gauntlets and pajamas he’s wearing. I feel like he shows up to every battle having just woken up and not really taking the campaign seriously. At least attempt to look inspiring. I can’t believe they developed this main character and dressed him so lazily.

At least Logan looks like he’s ready to rumble.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I’m sitting here eating a salad for lunch contemplating the irony of it all…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

I count myself to the few that like Trahearne. He has been with me since the very start of my journey. I actually felt bad when I dumbed him and joined an Order. I was so happy when he came back, although I was sad that Tybalt had left me.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I dislike him because, at that point, pretty much all the stories become the same.

It doesn’t help that he’s dropped on us without warning or a real introduction and replaces our much better developed mentor. If we’re going to be stuck with him, we need more time to get to know him and grow to care for him.

And for the love of god (pick one, any one), GET ANGRY! People you know are dropping like flies, and you get less upset than I do when there’s not enough jelly for my toast in the morning! Mourn! Cry! Scream! Flip the kitten out on someone! SOMETHING! The undead of Orr show more emotion than this! Then get your head back together and act all calm and cool in front of others, but let me see that crack in the wall, show me that moment of feeling.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

Hah, I hate them both! Neither as much as Seiran though. Ahhhh, her death was my happiest moment of this game.

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

Hah, I hate them both! Neither as much as Seiran though. Ahhhh, her death was my happiest moment of this game.

You enjoyed watching a 5 year old die?

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

You enjoyed watching a 5 year old die?

You bet. I don’t think I ever loeathed a video game character more. I wanted her to die even more than I did Handsome Jack.

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

the fact that all the mentors died and trahearne is still alive is a travesty in and of itself. down with trehearne. i dont care how it happens or what it takes for it to happen, but it needs to happen.

thank you for an amusing thread op

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

lol, I saw someone put this up in their blog. I thought it was hilarious.

Wow thanks for making me burst out laughing at work

Can we get a spawn timer going for this new event, please, so i can leave my alts there?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

someone saying ‘this won’t end well’ over and over in the middle of battle who is the ultimate leader needs to be taken out.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I dislike him too got reminded yesterday when playing the mission to rescue priory explorers in a cave over run by undead. He goes on about how he is going to save the day with a extremely difficult task (create a bunch of flesh golems) that is “well within my power”

arrogant kitten

Sooooooo use the “skip” cutscene option. :P In my opinion the storyline goes downhill as soon as you meet Traherne but yet I don’t blame him. Not sure why it just does.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: helosie.4781

helosie.4781

“Hey, Trahearne, I’m hungry. Let’s get something to eat.”

“Very well, Commander. Orrian cuisine was once renowned across the whole of Tyria. Now, there is only Zhaitan’s all-consuming hunger.”

“Uh… right. I’m just going to get a taco here. You want one?”

“This is a taco stand.”

“…Yeah. Yeah, it’s a taco stand. Thanks for pointing that out. So… you want a taco?”

“It is well within my considerable ability to partake of tacos, Commander…”

“Right, so, is that a yes, or?…”

“…but should I eat one? Is it really appropriate for me to be snacking when the fate of Orr—the fate of Tyria itself--rests upon my shoulders?”

“Dude. It’s just a taco.”

“Very well, Commander. I will defer to your judgment in this matter and partake of the taco.”

“Great! Two tacos, if you please, oh hirsute vendor of tacos.”

“Careful, Commander. I detect lettuce in these tacos.”

“…Yeah, Trey. Thanks for the warning. Uh. Lettuce in a taco. I wouldn’t have seen that coming.”

“If I eat this… am I not a cannibal? A monster? Am I becoming the very thing I hate?”

“…”

Honestly, I like the character concept of Trahaerne.

How he’s written, though, is… well, let’s just call it uneven, and leave it at that.

THIS. Should be made into a comic strip.

Iron-Bound [IB]
Gate of Madness

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

This pleases me.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Can someone enlighten me as to what he did? Feel like I’m missing something.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Short answer: Exist

Long answer: He does nothing that couldnt or, more importantly, shouldnt be done by the player character. He’s a dry, uninteresting, nondeveloped NPC that gets shoehorned into YOUR story and takes it over the moment he shows up.

Worst of all, he replaces the interesting, likable sidekicks like Tybalt and Seiran who are killed off for stupid, aribitrary reasons.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Short answer: Exist

Long answer: He does nothing that couldnt or, more importantly, shouldnt be done by the player character. He’s a dry, uninteresting, nondeveloped NPC that gets shoehorned into YOUR story and takes it over the moment he shows up.

Worst of all, he replaces the interesting, likable sidekicks like Tybalt and Seiran who are killed off for stupid, aribitrary reasons.

I agree with all of this but the last part. They didn’t die because of stupid, arbitrary reasons.

They died because they were heroes.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Xase.5064

Xase.5064

The level of shrieking resentment against a video game character in this fandom loops from comical to “go outside and take a deep breath.”
And just killing him off would be lazy and disappointing. There are plenty of improvements in terms of characterization and presentation but saying he somehow bruised your ego and therefore should be lynched is out-right WHINY

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

The level of shrieking resentment against a video game character in this fandom loops from comical to “go outside and take a deep breath.”
And just killing him off would be lazy and disappointing. There are plenty of improvements in terms of characterization and presentation but saying he somehow bruised your ego and therefore should be lynched is out-right WHINY

If he had characterization at all it wouldnt be so bad.

Besides, when it comes to the post Trahearne storyline, lazy and disappointing is the norm.