A little bit disappointed with the HoM Items

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I never played Eye of the North. Is there anther way to unlock these items within GW2?

I’ve seen the two chests in the Hall of Monuments, are they only for Eye of the North players to unlock in GW2?

No, there is no other way to unlock them.
The chests you saw are only for decoration, there is nothing in them and they do not open. You “talk to the ghost” to get the skins.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

The wiki says for GW1 players of “Eye of the North”. I played the original guild wars, and one expansion “Factions”. Does this mean i cannot get the Halls of Monuments items?

Yeah, the hall of monuments is in eye of the north, which is in the eye of the north expansion.

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

Why? Took me a few months to unlock them in gw1 I got it because I wanted them unlocked in this game like many many people did.

Also you can still unlock them if you really really want it. The mask is not hard to get unlocked.

Exactly my point. Why should I play a few months on a game that I do not enjoy to have something on an entirely different game that I want? That is not the correct way my friend.

Because you want it. You obviously do not want it that badly.

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

Why? Took me a few months to unlock them in gw1 I got it because I wanted them unlocked in this game like many many people did.

Also you can still unlock them if you really really want it. The mask is not hard to get unlocked.

Exactly my point. Why should I play a few months on a game that I do not enjoy to have something on an entirely different game that I want? That is not the correct way my friend.

Because you want it. You obviously do not want it that badly.

I want jormag’s breath, but I don’t feel like farming corrupted lodestones… should I still be able to get Jormag’s breath? Should there be some “workaround” because I don’t feel like farming stones?

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I want a blue quaggan bagpack, but I do not want to spend my money or my gold on gems. It’s not fair that people who have spent lots of money or lots of gold get the bagpack, while I cannot. There should be a way for me to get the blue quaggan bagpack however I want – or there should at least be an equivalent alternative for people such as myself, not the exact same skin.
Maybe a yellow quaggan bagpack. People who spent money or gold will still have their blue one, but I will have a yellow one by doing whatever I want because I am a very special person.

ophidic.1279

This is as bad as people complaining that dailies are “too hard” or take too long.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

When I saw this thread, I at first thought that they were offering Hall of Monument skins as regular items and I was upset. For the opposite reason as the OP actually is. I worked hard to get the achievements and collect everything I needed for the Hall of Monuments. Some of those titles required a huge investment in time and money, and most of the 15k armors I only had pieces of. But when it became clear that the Hall of Monuments would be the way those things would transfer, I put in the extra work so I would have access to those rewards. To me they represent something, and I’m glad there aren’t being made generally available.

They give me no playing advantage, they’re simply skins. I put in the work to get them, you haven’t. If you want that skin then you can do what the rest of us did and go back and play the original Guild Wars. If you’re not willing to do that, you’re out of luck. Just like if you’re unwilling to run dungeons, don’t complain that you can’t get that dungeon exclusive armor.

ophidic.1279

Yeah exactly that. I earned my fiery dragon sword and icy dragon sword in gw1, and i’m glad that not everyone can just have it because they feel they should get one too.

I know it’s not much of a big deal anymore, but it’s nice to carry it and remember when it WAS a big deal to have, plus the light radius is kinda nice in caves sometimes.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

The issue is that they are one of a kind items (some of them). I do not mind the Fiery sword that much as there is Jormag’s breath for GW2 players – a perfect substitute. The Mask however, is one of a kind and is only available through Halls of Monuments. You cannot get a Heavy-armored mask or anything remotely close to it if you haven’t played GW1. That’s my issue with it. I am not saying that the exact same thing should be available, but a satisfying substitute.

Again, there are plenty examples of exclusive items in the game already that are gated to other methods of acquisition. This is no different other than there’s something that you want. Like everyone else, you have just as much potential to achieve these items if you so desire.

The thing is that they make you buy an entirely different game to do so. Money is one thing – if you want it, you pay for it (Like League of Legends). The problem I have is that in order to get them not only do I have to pay for it, but I have to spend time (Like a previous comment even said years) in order to get everything I want in an entirely different game. That’s the problem I have with it.

You don’t have to spend years at all to get the required 30 points for every item in the Hall of Monuments. Granted I did have the game 5 years before the Hall of monuments came out and had beaten the game maybe 2 times before then. However I did not have many titles nor any of the special armours or weapons. So when I found out about the Hall of monuments and that we would get items in GW2 from it I came back to GW1 to work towards it. It must have taken me a solid 2 months to earn the 30 points for everything and I had a great time doing so.

My advice to anyone here who REALLY wants these items and is thinking of buying GW1 to get them or even to those players who are not thinking of buying the game. I say buy it and play it slowly now and then when GW2 gets a bit boring or you feel the burning out.

BTW I feel MOST of the HOM items are VERY worth playing GW1 for, they are just so nicely crafted most of them. I don’t like the medium armour set too well tho.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

I disagree with you, it is not unfair. I bought gw1 after i saw gw2 beta and saw the HoM rewards. I only have 4 points because gw1 is really really boring. To get all of the rewards from HoM, the original GW players had to put a lot of their time and effort to obtain it. It would be unfair to them if suddenly guild wars 2 players had the same items just handed to them. You should try obtaining some of the points in GW1 yourself and see how hard it actually is. Loyal customers that have supported ArenaNet all these years should be rewarded.
What WOULD be fair however is if there were NEW HoM items that can be purchased with achievement points, but the “old” HoM items are GW1 players exclusive.

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Been wearing that HoM mask on my warrior for a while now…

Also, I agree with taomang about new items for the GW2 players in HoM. But this is something we wouldn’t see until after an expansion or something if they decided to add it.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: HunterGreen.8071

HunterGreen.8071

First off, the OP has stated several times “I need that mask.” No one “needs” any specific skin. It’s fluff. Wants? Desires? Sure. But definitely not a “need.” It’s not a game breaker. It’s not new by any means.

Most of the HoM skins are horrible compared to mid-level to end-game armor and weapon skins.

Sounds like an “entitlement” post. If you want the items, then pay the same price those of us with those items paid. Get GW:EN and earn them. Plain and simple.

I’m willing to admit that I may
not always be right, but I am never wrong.
~Samuel Goldwyn

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

These are all cosmetics and if you like them so much then thats exactly what you should do grind for them in gw1. these are all bonus items for players that liked gw1. Some played it for 7 years. the only advantage you get is a ring that is useful from lvl 1-20. i wish heritage armor came in different versions. and black widow had the same health as the other spiders. In my opinion they should lock hall of monuments account linking so these items mean you was actually a gw1 player.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Recently I saw a player with two fiery dragon swords and it looked awesome.
When I realized that they where HoM awards I was impressed.

I never played GW when it came out due to not having an internet connection but I did buy it with all expansions in Nov.
Unfortunately I find it almost impossible to play after playing GW2.

As far as I am concerned the HoM awards are for GW players- they deserve it and their time/ money and investment gave us GW2

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

GW2 would not even exist if not for the players of Guild Wars 1.

I think a couple of really fancy skins is a perfectly fair way for those players to be rewarded for their contributions to making GW2 a great game.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: cdsmith.1072

cdsmith.1072

Fair? I think I am sick of that word. Fair is going and doing the same thing other people had to do in order to get what they got. It is 100% fair that you would have to go play Guild Wars 1 to get the Hall of Monument skins. That is what those of us with them had to do. If you do not want to put in the effort and still get them then that is 100% UNFAIR. There are other options for you for everything that is in the HoM. If you don’t like them then that is your problem and not an issue of fairness. It is only a matter of where your preferences are and again, not an issue of fairness.

The HoM and its implementation is one of the fairest things you can possibly talk about. Here is a little advise for the OP, Life is not fair. It never will be, ever. The sooner you realize that the happier you will end up being.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

1) They have been in the game since launch
2) It was made clear how we could obtain these items years before the release of GW2
3) It is not unfair, we GW1 players worked for our HoM points. It’s not like we got those
for free
4) There should not be a similair item (unless you mean a counterpart, aka jormag’s
breath) because if you could get items that looked almost exactly the same as HoM
items then what’s the point of getting them?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

well , i do not agree with OP. GW2 players should not receive a replacement of any kind. you want it ? go play GW1 to earn it. Getting all the items of the HoM unlocked is the same amount of work of getting a legendary in GW2 or worst.

If we take the GW1 vanquisher titles for example .. you had to clear all monsters in each zones in hard mode on 3 worlds ( Tyria , Cantha , Elonia ) .. so if i say that you have to do GW2 100% world completion 3 times before receiving one gift of exploration will you accept that ? Cartographer title is another one , again , you have to do on 3 worlds.

HoM is more than that …. there is a plethora of titles to achieve to earn point that enable you to unlock items .. so you did not played Gw1 , You did not spend the time like me to earn Gw1 achievements : You DONT deserve the mask or a replacement skin.

People paid big $$ to get the Gw2 collector edition with the Rytlock statue … what if months later they start selling Jormag Statue for half the price … ?? could you imagine how many people will go crazy ??

GO play Gw1 and earn your rewards. End of story

(edited by Farming Flats.5370)

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

Wait? did the OP just complain they have added stuff to HoM. LoL. Everything that is in the HoM has been there SINCE BETA!. Nothing new has been added, nothing has beem updated. HoM is the exact same as it has been since its release. The skins are ok, but honestly for a big time gw1 player it was a bit of and insult walking back into the HoM and seeing everything ruined and destroyed.

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

ophidic.1279

Wait? did the OP just complain they have added stuff to HoM. LoL. Everything that is in the HoM has been there SINCE BETA!. Nothing new has been added, nothing has beem updated. HoM is the exact same as it has been since its release. The skins are ok, but honestly for a big time gw1 player it was a bit of and insult walking back into the HoM and seeing everything ruined and destroyed.

Yeah, and seeing Artificer Mullenix there still. =/

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

No no no, you’re looking at this all wrong. What you should be asking is why shouldn’t you have to play for months on gw1? Seeing as that’s what the rest of us with HoM unlocks had to do. What makes you so special that you shouldn’t have to put the same effort others did into getting these items?

Asking for a substitute is also robbing those of us that did grind HoM points of a unique item, heavy mask, that we earned. Just because you can’t be bothered putting in the effort yourself does not make it unfair nor are you entitled to a substitute my friend.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Tbh there good when your lvling up,as you can hide the ugly weapons and armour with them ones.
but once you hit 80 you would never use them again as you get better looking weapons/armour by then.

So imo there not that important once you hit 80.

ophidic.1279

Tbh there good when your lvling up,as you can hide the ugly weapons and armour with them ones.
but once you hit 80 you would never use them again as you get better looking weapons/armour by then.

Fiery Dragon Swords are ALWAYS important, along with Icy, and there’s no vampiric dragon sword in GW2 as far as I know, but that one is the most important of the three!

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

You realize HoM items have been in the game since the very beginning? They announced HoM way before the game was even released. And yes, I do think it’s fair. You want those items, go play GW1 and earn them like the rest of us.

edit I’m confused at some of the posts in the thread. People are saying the HoM items were PvP skins and only recently got fixed, but I’ve been using the HoM items in PvE since BETA. They’ve always worked.

edit 2: Ah, so they were broken for some unfortunate souls. Well, glad they were finally fixed for those folks. That’s a long wait.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Nah, I still use my fiery sword at 80. It’s one of the best skins in the game. I might still continue using the staff one on my necro….haven’t decided yet.

ophidic.1279

Nah, I still use my fiery sword at 80. It’s one of the best skins in the game. I might still continue using the staff one on my necro….haven’t decided yet.

The staff is nice too, it’s got a little animation on it and it’s better than the default staff appearance imo.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Trashman.8596

Trashman.8596

Guys, guys. You fell for the troll. This shouldn’t have even made it to two pages let alone three posts.

Venkas
Ehmry Bay/Haven Community
A Commander sometimes

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

Time to throw my two quid in to the hat, even if he is just a troll. Ready?

Here goes!

They are reward items for people who have played GW1 and got 30+ HoM point… thingies, plus they are only skins and most (The fish gun!) look horrid anyway.

/Thread

ophidic.1279

Guys, guys. You fell for the troll. This shouldn’t have even made it to two pages let alone three posts.

I’m still debating on whether or not this is a troll. Usually a troll would have responded.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

You realize HoM items have been in the game since the very beginning? They announced HoM way before the game was even released. And yes, I do think it’s fair. You want those items, go play GW1 and earn them like the rest of us.

edit I’m confused at some of the posts in the thread. People are saying the HoM items were PvP skins and only recently got fixed, but I’ve been using the HoM items in PvE since BETA. They’ve always worked.

edit 2: Ah, so they were broken for some unfortunate souls. Well, glad they were finally fixed for those folks. That’s a long wait.

There are HoM skins for the PVP side of things, the type of PVP where your gear gets changed and can’t be used in PVE, from the same person in what is left of the Hall of Monuments, just in the tab below.

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

The staff is nice too, it’s got a little animation on it and it’s better than the default staff appearance imo.

That’s what i mean by ugly weapons,but at lvl 70-80 maybe lower you can get better looking staffs.
as the hom one is just a twig with a light green line going around it.

Posted by: ninja.4139

ninja.4139

What are you talking about? When did they add any new rewards? They’ve been the same since release as far as I know. And honestly, the Fiery Dragon Sword is the only good looking skin. The armor skins don’t work well with some of the races, the dwayna gloves dye too weird to be matched with armor, the flame gloves were a let down, and they totally RUINED the fell blade. Absolutely ruined it. I was really dissappointed with half the stuff.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

The mask isn’t new. My guardian had been using it since day 1.

Though if they add more variety to headgears it’ll be nice. More intricate ornaments instead of helmets for heavy, masks for light.. my Mesmer still uses the necro starter face markings and I found no better substitude. Really disappointed about headgears in game.

What they need to do is scrap the “town clothes” idea and make the special costume helms available for all professions. It mystifies me why they haven’t done this already – they’d see a huge spike in gem sales if they let us actually use the things in the store that their artists worked so hard on.

We had a costume system in Guild Wars 1, and I don’t recall any major complaints about it. They’re already barred from sPvP anyway, which is the only community that I can think of that would really complain about more cosmetic items. If Valve has taught the world anything, it’s that more cosmetic options are NEVER a bad thing, and that classes can still be easily recognized even with silly things on their heads.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

What are you talking about? When did they add any new rewards? They’ve been the same since release as far as I know. And honestly, the Fiery Dragon Sword is the only good looking skin. The armor skins don’t work well with some of the races, the dwayna gloves dye too weird to be matched with armor, the flame gloves were a let down, and they totally RUINED the fell blade. Absolutely ruined it. I was really dissappointed with half the stuff.

Well shoot lol. Diff strokes I guess. I actually thought the dragon sword looked bad. The flames are all stiff and fluffy. I was expecting something with flames whispily licking off the twin blades, instead you can barely see the blades amidst the electric, poofy flames encapsulating it. The conjured ele flame blade looks way better imo.

And the Fell Blade is awesome! The subtle black smoke that oozes off it like dry ice. I like that the effect means you have to look for it, and not get blinded by its gaudiness.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

ophidic.1279

The mask isn’t new. My guardian had been using it since day 1.

Though if they add more variety to headgears it’ll be nice. More intricate ornaments instead of helmets for heavy, masks for light.. my Mesmer still uses the necro starter face markings and I found no better substitude. Really disappointed about headgears in game.

What they need to do is scrap the “town clothes” idea and make the special costume helms available for all professions. It mystifies me why they haven’t done this already – they’d see a huge spike in gem sales if they let us actually use the things in the store that their artists worked so hard on.

We had a costume system in Guild Wars 1, and I don’t recall any major complaints about it. They’re already barred from sPvP anyway, which is the only community that I can think of that would really complain about more cosmetic items. If Valve has taught the world anything, it’s that more cosmetic options are NEVER a bad thing, and that classes can still be easily recognized even with silly things on their heads.

Yeah the costume over your armor system in gw1 was fantastic…. as was conjuring up another copy of any costume for mere pennies, thus saving all that inventory space. I dunno why that second part isn’t implemented at all either.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I’ve had these items since August, wth are you talking about… T-T

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

No, because the Hall of Monumens is in the Eye of the North and is good to have all the expansion to get most of achivements.

To OP, all items are the old ones, they dont put “new” items, simple now the mask and the gloves could wear in heavy, medium or light armor, but there are the old ones.

The Hall Monuments are a reward for people who get X achivements in GW1, is known sice 2007 when they launch Eye of The North, the Fiery Dragon Sword was a skin in GW1 and is not new in this update , is in GW2 since beta.

The same with the players who unlkitten Title “God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals” to people who get 30 Max titles in GW1, they still have it in GW2.

Is a reward for all veteran GW players who work hard for their characters for 7-8 years, maybe if someday launch GW3 they will do the same thing.

Honestly it seems a bit unfair to have the most desirable sounding title in GW2 be exclusive to (hardcore) GW1 players. Such an awesome title should be one of the ultimate rewards in THIS game, not the previous. My opinion of course. Thankfully titles aren’t too big a deal but it’s a bit of a turnoff.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

That’s what i mean by ugly weapons,but at lvl 70-80 maybe lower you can get better looking staffs.
as the hom one is just a twig with a light green line going around it.

Final Rest is at 80, and some people find it very exotic. (Yes it’s a pun.) I, well, I don’t really want that. I like the Glyphic Staff skin instead.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

Why are people complaining they would have to buy a whole game just to get these items, these items were for loyal gw1 players who worked hard for them prior to gw2’s release.

You have no right to these items or a substitute for them.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Here goes!

They are reward items for people who have played GW1 and got 30+ HoM point… thingies, plus they are only skins and most (The fish gun!) look horrid anyway.

/Thread

Pistols look a bit bad (fishy) I agree but the rifle is just NICE – my precious…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Here goes!

/Thread

how dare you!
“most […] look horrid anyway”
Ok, the fish gun is fairly horrid… lol, but the sword and hammer skins are awesome and the light armor set is classy… and, those fire gloves!

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Recently I saw a player with two fiery dragon swords and it looked awesome.
When I realized that they where HoM awards I was impressed.

I never played GW when it came out due to not having an internet connection but I did buy it with all expansions in Nov.
Unfortunately I find it almost impossible to play after playing GW2.

As far as I am concerned the HoM awards are for GW players- they deserve it and their time/ money and investment gave us GW2

Sad thing is that half the people running around with HoM items played GW1 for a very short time just to get the points to unlock the items for GW2….before GW2 came out and they have the nerve to say they “played” GW1…

I still feel arenanet should have made every 10 points of the HoM in Tiers (for at least the first 30 points since its the items ppl wanted)

Tier 1 – Less then a year old account
Tier 2 – 2 or more years on the account
Tier 3 – An account for more then 4 years

This way it would have felt truly more rewarding for the GW1 players that actually played and were loyal to the game for years.

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Probably most of you haven’t noticed but after the new patch, new items (no, not Ascended gear) have been introduced in the game. Yes, a whole set, new gloves, helm and shoulders as well if I’m not mistaking. You might think that the new items look good? Yes, yes they do! The new helm even is a MASK ! a Heavy armor MASK ! the first one in the game that a LOT of people would want, but hey, guess what? It’s Halls of Monuments. Everything !….. We did overlook that probably 50% of the Titles are unlock-able ONLY through Halls of Monuments, the epic Flame Sword is Hall of Monuments only also, but hey, that was for previous players and a thanks for playing the 1st game. But now? More and more items are being put into the Halls of Monuments, GOOD looking items ! What about us people, that did not like GW1 and did not play it, but we bought and enjoy GW2? Are we suppose to buy GW1 and spend hours and hours playing it just to get the ONLY heavy mask in the game? This is not fair and is not right. One item once in a while is fine, but putting whole sets + more separate items is not. I completely disagree with the new gear that’s only Hall of Monuments accessible. This is pure discrimination to current GW2 players that have not played GW1. You cannot put so much stuff (one of the best looking in the game as well) available only to GW1 players. That is not fair and I do think that it needs to be changed. (I uploaded a picture of the HEAVY-armor mask and the epic sword as well)

Then Buy GuildWars 1 play the game for many hours and you will get it then. As a Guildwars 1 player I would leave GuildWars 2 if they did this. And imo the items don’t look good enough since it takes awhile to get them.

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

No, because the Hall of Monumens is in the Eye of the North and is good to have all the expansion to get most of achivements.

To OP, all items are the old ones, they dont put “new” items, simple now the mask and the gloves could wear in heavy, medium or light armor, but there are the old ones.

The Hall Monuments are a reward for people who get X achivements in GW1, is known sice 2007 when they launch Eye of The North, the Fiery Dragon Sword was a skin in GW1 and is not new in this update , is in GW2 since beta.

The same with the players who unlkitten Title “God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals” to people who get 30 Max titles in GW1, they still have it in GW2.

Is a reward for all veteran GW players who work hard for their characters for 7-8 years, maybe if someday launch GW3 they will do the same thing.

Honestly it seems a bit unfair to have the most desirable sounding title in GW2 be exclusive to (hardcore) GW1 players. Such an awesome title should be one of the ultimate rewards in THIS game, not the previous. My opinion of course. Thankfully titles aren’t too big a deal but it’s a bit of a turnoff.

while I agree with you, do you realize how hard it is to get that title? I knew from the get-go I’d never have that item and really in Gw2 you can barley tell who has what title because it isn’t flashy or anything. It takes 1000s of hours to get the final title, and if you get it you deserve it.

Though they should have an ultimate title for this game too. God Walking Amongst Mortals is truly fitting of the Gw1 plot. You know that thing that makes story go along unlike this game which has a half made plot. (Kill the two younger brother dragons then kill they’re older brother really??) But thats another argument.