All classes all weapons, or more weapons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7597/Guild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

What’s more is that the team is also working very kitten finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming. Finally those level 80s you’ve been hoarding will get some use, as they’ll be adding more and more skills and traits to the game for years to come and on a regular basis for players to obtain.

Does this mean every class will have every weapon? Or just expanding weapon options?

Could a dev please clear this up? Thanks?

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

Pretty sure they won’t make all weapons for all professions, or atleast not in one go as this would be huge amount of work. Adding 1-2 weapons to each profession might happen.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I wish it meant that. Sounds like too much work though.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

It doesn’t really make much sense either. Some weapons seem inherently incompatible with some professions. Staff or sceptre wielding warriors come to mind.

Some more is certainly good, but let’s keep it sensible.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

the devs have stated in the past that when it ever happens, current professions will receive new weapons that we currently already have, so maybe
Hammers for engis
Rifles for Thieves and Rangers
Torches for Necros and Warriors
etc.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

I’d just take a fix to / rework of the current weapons. Some of them aren’t even viable at the moment. Mesmers practically have a single main-hand weapon and four off-hand ones.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It doesn’t really make much sense either. Some weapons seem inherently incompatible with some professions. Staff or sceptre wielding warriors come to mind.

There was no limit in GW1, and everyone could use Staff viably, and there were quite a few universal PvE builds for it that were really powerful, like Discordway. Assassins (Thief) had some good 2handed Hammer, Deadly Arts Staff, Scythe and Longbow builds. Rangers often used Staff for trap build in PvP even. What you’re saying goes against the original Guild Wars.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

There was no limit in GW1, and everyone could use Staff viably, and there were quite a few universal PvE builds for it that were really powerful, like Discordway. Assassins (Thief) had some good 2handed Hammer, Deadly Arts Staff, Scythe and Longbow builds. Rangers often used Staff for trap build in PvP even. What you’re saying goes against the original Guild Wars.

Sry, i can’t imagine my warrior with a staff, scepter or whatever. Im still suprised, that we don’t have access to offhand pistol, polearms and great axe. Just that, nothing else.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I’d prefer new weapons.

Right now, weapon mastery means that you have to play more than one character, and that’s good, in my opinion.

And some weapon/class combinations make little sense story-wise. I can live with the limitations for my own characters – it gives me a sense of “identity” on my engineer, for example, that I can only select weapons efficiently.

Posted by: Alto Zenith.2678

Alto Zenith.2678

I think I’d just prefer new weapon skills. A second tier of unlockable weapon skills or something.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I think I’d just prefer new weapon skills. A second tier of unlockable weapon skills or something.

… Which would be identical to a new weapon.

I think its great. At the very least, all classes should have melee and ranged weapons. Engineer really stand out here, only having 2 different weapons he can equip (pistols, rifle). Yes I know the toolkit has the wrench but kits are really not the same. A hammer would be great and most fitting the Engineer.

But while I can see the use in giving more weapon choices, having ALL weapons on the classes does sound a little weird IMO. Imagine a necro with a hammer. What’s he gonna do, smack death into you? It would look wrong. One of the main things I use in identifying classes when trying to get an overview of the situation is just weapons. Does he have a rifle and plate armor? Why its a Warrior of course. Light armor and axes? Necro. Etc and so on. All weapons on all classes would wreck this and add a plethora of new effects to keep track of. I honestly think it will be overwhelming and confusing.

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Well, i guess the only thing that wouldnt make sense is giving magic weapons to professions that dont use magic…
but then again, arent signets magic :O? i thought i heard someone say that…

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Well, i guess the only thing that wouldnt make sense is giving magic weapons to professions that dont use magic…
but then again, arent signets magic :O? i thought i heard someone say that…

You can think of signets as magic rings so those are fine for non magic users. The gw2 combat system doesnt really make sense to have magical weapons on warriors and other non magical classes. Seeing as the weapon skills are based on the weapon I struggle to see how they would design staff or scepter skills on a warrior. They would have to be used as sort of clubs but then they would be barely different from mace or hammer.

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Double Horn Warrior!

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

Give..me..a..kitten ed Longbow

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

torch for warrior…
skill 1: Burn
skill 2: burn more
skill 3: burn area
skill 4: throw torch
skill 5: what a lame skill set

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

torch for warrior…
skill 1: Burn
skill 2: burn more
skill 3: burn area
skill 4: throw torch
skill 5: what a lame skill set

this is every weapon though

I’d be skeptical about it literally being all weapons, as I can’t imagine things like a Scepter and a Focus on a Warrior.

still aching for GS thief tho. GS should be standard issue

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Only real concern here is that many of the existing weapons have really putrid design, and if they do a better job on future weapons we’re going to be stuck in this weird situation where classes no longer use their iconic weapons. Rifle Elementalists and Scepter Thieves might be a cool change of pace now and again, but I think it eats into the design of the game if those become the rule not the exception.