Alts of the same class. Your reasons why.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I got 3 characters in my roster, 2 of them are both engineers. Some people ask me why I am rolling another identical class when I can just get different gear for the one I have. I suppose I got a couple of reasons thinking back on it.

1) My engineers are both asura and charr. If anything, I am a lore nut and I thought these guys fit the role best. And it’s fun seeing them lob grenades and fire their ordnance at the enemy.

2) This reason of mine may sound silly but I honestly wanted each class to have a unique fighting style to them. My asura engineer for instance would use pistol/shield and skills that compliment that weapon set while my charr would go rifle.

3) I suppose my third reason has something to do with returning back to basics where I would level my 2nd engineer from the ground up to relearn what it can do.

What about you, guys? Do you have multiple characters of the same class? If so, what are your reasons?

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I have 21 characters, so I’ve got more of some classes than others. I’ve got at least two of every class though.

Main reason why is because I like levelling and mapping. I’ve got 19/21 at level 80 and 6 of them have 100% map completion (currently working on 7th and the first that I’ll have mapped without having to do WvW maps!!).

The two that aren’t level 80 yet I’m saving for you know what.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Got

8 human characters (9 when the expansion comes out) 1 of each class.

Doubled up classes are

1 Guardian Norn
1 Engineer Charr
1 Warrior Asura
1 Mesmer Sylvari

Reason for the same classes are;
1) I have all the classes already.
2) Wanted to try the personal story from a different perspective than human.
3) I use different weapons so that they don’t feel too much the same.

(edited by Azala Yar.7693)

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

I have two guardians because it was so easy getting world completion with them. Perma swiftness is nice. Also, at the time….changing builds was a huge pain, so I made them with two separate builds. One was for fractals and the other was for WvW.

After I came back from my long break, they made all my ascended stuff account bound. So…now I have two guardians, neither of which I can delete because they have all my crafting recipes. /sigh

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I have 2 of every class except engi and thief as well as 3 guardians.

I like to explore different builds. Of course I could do this on one character, but I don’t like to swap around all the time.

If I like a particular build/profession I’ll roll another so I can do world exploration again.

I like to theme my characters- they all have different visual styles and that is a lot of fun for me. It also gives me things to work towards in order to unlock skins.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

2 warriors. Partly due to wanting different uilds and no build template being in place.

The main reason is I like to create specific roles/looks/build combos for a toon and sometimes it isn’t viable for me to create that with one character.

My main warr is a tanky style Norn, who prefers a mace/shield set up. And has a look to match that.
My second Warr, is set up to look like a dragon knight with matching sword and axe. With an appropriate build to go alongside, which is dps focussed.

I’m not one for optimised/meta builds. I play for looks and styles I enjoy

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I have multiple classes purely so I can create more unique looks and play dress up without sacrificing the styles of my existing chars. The duplicates hardly ever get played though, with ele being exception, 1 for pve, 1 for pvp.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Different builds, different looks, different names, and more importantly, different character stories for RP reasons!
I have 2 mesmers, 2 eles and 2 rangers.
Mesmer 1 runs a build of my own making, mesmer 2 runs a phantasm build.
Ele 1 runs a odd healing build for fun, Ele 2 is going to run a celestial fire earth build.
Ranger 1 runs a condition beast master build, Ranger 2 runs a support build.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Pretty much because I can. They all look different, and even play differently. I generally have them parked around the world so I want to run a guardian in Orr or ranger in Frostgorge then I’ll log onto those guys instead of porting whoever I’m currently running. Having said that, I also have a handful of characters that are world travellers who I will port all over the world if I’m currently playing them.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

I have 18 toons now, each is different in its play style.
Human: Warrior, Necro
Sylvari: Ranger, Ele, Engi,
Norn: Guardian, Necro, Ele, Thief,
Asura: Warrior, Guardian, Necro, Thief, Mesmer, Ele, Engi
Charr: Guardian, Mesmer

Each is built for a different purpose, traited a specific way.
I found that, with my play style, PvP and Asura work well.
Each plays different, allows me to adapt to different situations.

Posted by: Bob F It.5701

Bob F It.5701

+1 warrior: I wanted a soldier profession charr.
+1 engineer: obligatory flame-thrower build with appearance to match.
+1 mesmer: santa look-alike.

Right click your GW2 shortcut > “Properties”
“Shortcut” tab > “Target”
Add to the end " -bmp"

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I use game characters for offline RPG, so I like variety.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

3 engis, 2 mesmers, 1 of the rest. and i will never have to play a sub 80 ever again.

engi is my main and i like to run a variety of builds and we dont have templates and i dont want clogged inventory from carrying 5 armor sets.

i plan to eventually have about 20 mesmers parked at various portal spots, if toon slots ever go on sale again ill have at least 1 more mesmer.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

(edited by insanemaniac.2456)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I love the leveling process (well, did before the NPE and traits change) so I always had someone I was leveling. That means I have 14 80’s, so naturally I must have multiples. My duplicate professions are differing races, however, and I focus each one on different weapon/trait combos.

Sometimes I made an alt just to try out a race/prof combo, sometimes I had an RP need for the one I made. “RP” is the real reason to make such a variety, though. I like having a range of RP flavor options.

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

I don’t have the char slots for dupes

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Aesthetics.

/15char

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I currently have 2 mesmers: an adorable Asuran, and later a pretty pretty human.

I just like designing characters, really.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

I have an alt of every class but ranger and necromancer. At the moment i have 7 level 80 characters and 3 sub 80 that im still working on. However in the past i have deleted 5 lvl 80 characters (fully geared) most of them, besides the 2 rangers, i have duplicates of now.

The main reason i make duplicates are for aesthetic purposes. There’s nothing i like more in this game than changing up my look and i also really enjoy how cute asuras are! The differences in looks and animations makes the game more fun and can actually help me stay interested in things ive done before.

The reason why ive deleted duplicate characters (2 guardians, 2 rangers, and an engie) is because i either got really bored of the class or the character. For guardian and ranger i made another one to see if different animations would make them at all fun and i ended up just not liking the class. I made another guardian after realizing how needed it is in pugs but i still dont enjoy it much. For engie i first made an asura but really didnt like the animations or the class in pvp. Rerolled and now its my favorite class in pve!

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

I made one of every class of each race of one gender just so I could have them all. Would have both genders but can’t do that with a single account.

Posted by: ExtraCosmic.9082

ExtraCosmic.9082

Because I like making characters, basically. I make them like I’d be making characters for a story; their appearance, name, and build are all part of “who they are”. I don’t swap traits or equipment for one character, wanting to make a new build means making a new character.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have character slots, and prefer to expend those rather than carry different set of gear on the same character. Also, I’d rather level than run around in the GW2 circular train endgame.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

only time I did this was to try a different look temp…

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I only play humans and I have one char for each class. However, I did make one of each other race (except asura so far) to experience their story and have more mules. The sylvari is an ele that I raised to level 55 and left there in order to open containers on him for best loot. The norn and charr are both warriors, because this is the class I most enjoy playing and am most comfortable with, especially in low levels. And I also wanted to have a space marine with a chainsword, and the norn provides that.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I’m an alt-oholic.. Albeit recently deleting a bunch of 80s I legit never use anymore/disliked aesthetic reasonings.

I have double ups and triples of certain classes for various reasons:

- I really can’t be bothered switching traits, gear and everything so I may as well make a separate, engineer for example, that I can simply log into and play as ANet has not delivered build templates
- it is also fun to play around with other races; I like the Asura for their smallness.. It helps when I’m on my Asura thief sometimes instead of lumping around on that max size charr.. I still love him but man is that a huge sign screaming ‘extremely squishy hit me’
- some races clothing looks wayyy better. I specifically rolled a sylvari + asura guardian as the Charr one had so many helmets that looked unbearably terribad.. I’m looking at you, Nightmare Court heavy helm on a charr. Uhg.
- sometimes I’m just bored and make a lore-friendly looking alt

There’s probably a million other reasons but I’m tired atm so these will suffice.

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

After testing several races in several different armor classes with several different weapon sets, I finally figured out my total overall favorite is female sylvari. Sadly, most of my characters are either norn or charr. So when I finally decide on a main for HoT, I will remake one of my current characters as a sylvari. Several of my characters have high level crafting that I refuse to get rid of. If there was a way to change the race of a character I would never make an alt of the same class.

Posted by: Duskdog.4195

Duskdog.4195

Aesthetics/roleplay reasons, mostly.

Even if I don’t actively roleplay a character (some I do, some I don’t) I love for my characters to have a particular look/theme to them, and I really love designing an end-game “look” for them. I also honestly enjoy the leveling process in its many forms, and I enjoy experiencing the different branches of the early personal story, too.

The fact that I can do any activity I want without having to change gear sets or builds is just a nice bonus.

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

I wanted to change my main’s race, so I now have 2 eles. I kept the old one for nostalgia’s sake, and also cause she has 2 different leveled tradeskills I don’t want to re-do.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Calcanius.5048

Calcanius.5048

Both my wife and i have 50 level 80´s each.

My reasons: to lazy to switch traits and armor for different situations, and suffer from mood swings where i get boored of a certain playstyle and make new toon.
Wife´s reason: Part of her masterplan with all possible race/class combo´s and she loves designing new toons

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

I don’t have any right now, but my plan is to have one of each class human, and then have at least one of each other race, so there will definitely be some overlap.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Because I enjoy making alts.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

As of this writing I think i only have 3 repeat classes: Warrior and necro.

They key for me is that they are repeat classes, not characters. My Charr is a vastly different Guardian as compared to my norn. My Charr is a soldier, honor bound to protect and while my Norn is a bit more selfish and violent. This manifests in their playstyle and weapon choice/trait choice.

My warriors also are very different in that regard with my human being the more combative and my asura opting for support healing and backline work.

My necros are split between condi and power specs and while they are both combat oriented, they come at it differently.

I just made a second thief that might live to see level 80, but what role she will take over from my other thief I’m not sure. maybe glass cannon and I might then make my other thief a condi-jerk.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

only repeated warriors, first was asura, realise he was too small, yoda’s novelty wore off after a while, made a human much better as a male, but female greatsword animation and stance looks bad.

finally decided to make a charr but i realise its not worth it, because i rather save the slot for a revenant charr instead. i don’t need 3 warriors, the asura is now a mule.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I am just to lazy to change my builds and swap gears, thats why i have 2 rangers and 2 guardians.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

I only have a duplicate for warrior….and it’s because I wanted a Charr warrior, then wanted to swap back to my Norn. The only reason my Norn hadn’t been deleted was because it had 500 artificer/armorsmithing…No way I was doing that again. And my Charr has 500 huntsman…..I really should’ve crafted on one character :/

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Multiples of ele/guard/warrior/engi, all for the same reasons:

• Different race (since we won’t ever get a race change gem item, apprently)
  • Different build/weapons (like rifle/turrets vs p/p/flamethrower for engi)
  • Something else to do/relevel

(Necro/Ranger, I like but not really enough to make multiple. Don’t like Thief/Mesmer so theres only the one toon for each of those (mesmer is perm lvl 50ish for linen scraps from champ bags))

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I got 3 characters in my roster, 2 of them are both engineers. Some people ask me why I am rolling another identical class when I can just get different gear for the one I have. I suppose I got a couple of reasons thinking back on it.

1) My engineers are both asura and charr. If anything, I am a lore nut and I thought these guys fit the role best. And it’s fun seeing them lob grenades and fire their ordnance at the enemy.

2) This reason of mine may sound silly but I honestly wanted each class to have a unique fighting style to them. My asura engineer for instance would use pistol/shield and skills that compliment that weapon set while my charr would go rifle.

3) I suppose my third reason has something to do with returning back to basics where I would level my 2nd engineer from the ground up to relearn what it can do.

What about you, guys? Do you have multiple characters of the same class? If so, what are your reasons?

Pretty much agreed on the first two. One is for different lore/looks, and the other is to keep the characters focused on what role(s) I want to play with them.
The latter sounds a bit silly since it’s a quick swap to gear/build for whatever situation I need, but I like having the difference.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: qarinus.3869

qarinus.3869

I have four guardians (two at 80), three necros (one at 80), two thieves (one at 80), two mesmers (one at 80), two rangers (both 80), two engis (one 80), two eles (both 80), and one warrior (80). That’s on my primary account! My secondary account I’m not really going to bother listing, though, since it exists to 1) play with my sister on an equal footing as a new account as she levels her first character, and 2) to make temporary copies of characters from my main account so if I need to have two characters in one place at the same time for RP purposes, I can do it.

I love making sylvari. That’s pretty much my sole reason; I keep making more of them! And there are some classes I enjoy more than others, so I tend to make my new characters of those classes, but I also try to keep it somewhat gender-balanced (two of my guardians are male, 2 are female, everything with 2 is a male and female). The exceptions are warrior, which I dislike playing enough that between that and not liking female heavy armor much, I haven’t talked myself into making a female warrior, and necros, which I have one male and two female of after making a female version of my male necro so I could dress him up in pretty clothing, since Anet refuses to give us actual armor parity. He’s also the only exception to all of them having distinct looks.

I keep it interesting by trying different builds and weapons on different characters of the same class. My female ranger uses shortbow and axe/warhorn, while my male ranger uses longbow and sword/warhorn, for example, and their builds reflect their weapon choices. My female ele is d/d (mostly, though she has staves for appropriate content of course), my male ele is staff. Female necro is axe/dagger and staff, male necro (and his female version) is scepter/dagger and staff. Male engi is rifle and flamethrower kit, female is pistol/pistol and bombs/grenades, etc etc.

And I just enjoy playing a guardian a lot (which surprised me, when I first rolled one I thought I’d hate it like I do warrior, but joke was on me I loved it). I’m currently leveling one as a hammer guard, trying to get used to how that feels; it’s the one guardian weapon I’m not very comfortable with because of how slow it moves, so I’m trying to change that.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Why multiple alts of the same class? Uhm…

Well, when I decided to get GW2, I made the decision to make 1 human of each profession in order to get a feel for the different professions. Long story short, humans are what I relate to and I feel they give me a better baseline.

Additionally, I decided I wanted one of each weight class, for each additional race. This way I could explore the assorted story branches and lore, and play with looks on the various races. Since this means 7 characters per weight class (3 human + 1 of each of the other 4 races), duplicate professions are unavoidable.

Given that I’m prone to exploration and alt-a-holic-ness in general, it works out pretty well for me.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

2 Guardians. One Sylvari, one Human. Made the second to run zerkers so I didn’t have to worry about swapping armor. That and I love Guardian enough I wanted a second one with a different “backstory” and feel. Each runs different weapons, etc. I actually leveled my second one up as a spirit weapon guardian. Was interesting….wouldn’t necessarily recommend it, but it was definitely interesting.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

I have 16 characters, so 2 of each class with 2 more characters planned for the Revenant.

Reasons include:

• Diversity of builds without having to change gear or traits so I can just jump on. I usually have 1 set up for PvE and 1 for WvW/PvP.
  • I wanted to have at least 1 character for every armor type for every race (heavy, medium, light).
  • I wanted more human toons to look pretty and play Barbie.
  • Hi, my name is… none of your business, and I’m an altoholic.
Lady Minuit

(edited by Lady Minuit.3186)

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I’ve got two Engineers; the second I created recently, after not playing for quite some time. Their purpose is to help me relearn the game.

…also to look super-comfy in the shoulder scarf and fuzzy leopard hat.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Going through this thread, if all these were bought with real money (mine were), Anet has made a killing on character slots.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Snuggles.9875

Snuggles.9875

identity repair kit vs. character slot

I would buy another slot re-lvl :P (and I have).
only reason I have same classes/different races

Posted by: Snuggles.9875

Snuggles.9875

oh on that note as well since everything ascended is account bound… you’re pretty much insta-geared at lvl 80. If you have full ascended sets etc..etc..etc..

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

I have
1male human thief
1female human thief
1male sylvari thief
1male asura thief

why? because thieves are just so cool.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I have 2 of ele, mesmer, thief, ranger. I happen to like playing Asura and Humans…can’t decide which I like better at any given time so it was easier to just make both races.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Different builds/race/looks for the same class. Why? Because I like it.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Different builds/race/looks for the same class. Why? Because I like it.

<3

offers cookie

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Different races.

• 2 Eningeers (Charr, Asura)
  • 2 Rangers (Charr, Norn)
  • 2 Ele (Human, Asura)

I once had these doubled up:

• 2 Mesmers (Human, Asura….deleted)
  • 2 Theif (Sylvari…deleted, Human)

I’m an altaholic that does not like Sylvari and has gravitated to liking Asura.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

I made a warrior for wvw and a warrior for dungeons/pve

…..because I was too lazy to switch traits, armors, weapons… everytime

….dont judge me X_X

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]