Am I the only one being disappointed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

Has anyone here played Diablo2? I’m pretty sure that the answer is a big yes. I’m also sure that you guys also remember all the hype that was put into the release of Diablo 3. Try to remember the feeling you had when the game ended up being so dissapointing for the lack of content.

I’m starting to have the same feeling here with Gw2….

I’ve been reading every single Dev post and watching all the interviews about the new patch for the Living Story finale. I could feel all the hype that was being put there.

Guess what, the moment I enter the game, I see treamendous amount of people saying in the map chat that nothing works. Without believing it first, I go check for myself and saddly, the /map trolls were right.

Again that big hype followed by that big dissapointment…

Maybe to everyone here my post looks like a rant, but I simply don’t understand how that kind of thing is actually possible. Being told that there would be ’’awesome’’ content that is actually ‘’awesomely non-functional’’. Even people in my guild are starting to name their character Bugs War.

Sad…

Not long ago I saw that CDI thing for horizontal and vertical progression. This is something incredible. So many great ideas. I simply hope that this time I won’t be dissapointed. I’ve been on Gw1 since forever and Gw2 since the beta’s. I just don’t want this game that has ‘’Way to much potential’’ leave that feeling of dissapointment in me.

Arwen.

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

as happened to ffxiv, sometimes miracles happen…

though, i think in d3 ros and gw2 spring patch we won’t see any :o

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

Lol maybe that is why I was excited about this until today.. Then I didn’t bother to log on ._.

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Are you asking if you’re the only one that is disappointed by Guild Wars 2?

Posted by: Lydell.8713

Lydell.8713

No, he’s asking if he’s the only one.

-Blackgate-

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

I love Diablo II, I really enjoy Diablo III (console versions are supreme), and I am still in love with Guild Wars 2. Way too many haters out there. If you can’t enjoy the game, please go enjoy another game elsewhere. Simple as that.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: WRay.2391

WRay.2391

At least in Diablo 3 they finally start listening. Looking forward to the next patch when they are removing RMAH and changing loot system.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

I think Jet Li was or is the One.

A R W E N.6895

I love Diablo II, I really enjoy Diablo III (console versions are supreme), and I am still in love with Guild Wars 2. Way too many haters out there. If you can’t enjoy the game, please go enjoy another game elsewhere. Simple as that.

I enjoy a lot about Gw2, but the fact is that at some point when the games starts lacking in content, and at the same time, when you expect so much but you obtain not much this feeling of dissapointment kicks in. I’m not saying that Gw2 is a bad game, and I’m not hating on it. Gw2 is by far one of the best MMO I played. But when you consider a game to be the best, you expect more and more and more..

I’ve been enjoying farming fractals, dungeons, WvW, some PvP and also flipping the HV. But there can be clearly way more than only that in this game. And when you are being told that more is coming but each time it’s not that much, thats where people start getting angry.

Just don’t confuse hate and dissapointment. Two different things.

Little fact: I went to lornar pass for the new event 50 min ago. It got bugged at the end of the first phase and we were all teleported under the map.

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well D2 was an ok game for its time and ppl build up guilds for that game even though it realy was not part of the game ppl made it into being an mmorpg like game. D3 was made to be more of a pure hack and slash but the players wanted it to be like D2 was back when D2 was what 10 years old and had a player base that was out right raised on it. It would be imposable for D3 to live up to that and it may never if the player base of D2 will not keep to some point with D3.

You can say the same for GW1 vs GW2 you have a game where it was made into an mmorpg like game by the players not the game makers and was there for years so ppl have truly lived with the game.

GW2 is still very new for a full mmorpg (something GW1 was not and was not intended to be) you have a player base who where “hipster” join into the game after years of jumping form one mmorpg to another so they where for the most part jaded or they where from WoW and if it was not like WoW it was not a game for them. Back to the GW1 players and there view point in that they truly lived with GW1 with a community build arone it to the point of having them make there own web pages and low end videos making back when youtube was “cool.” So for a new game such as GW2 it is imposable to live up to a level of hype that GW1 was because its just simply not those times any more. The same ppl do not work on the web pages etc.. its mostly done for you.

Its the flaw of the “good o days” you can never go back and what you have now will never see as good as what you had when you where younger. Its realty just part of the human condition.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

There are probably 400k people currently playing the game.
I’d assume it impossible for you to be the only one in anything you do in game.

And yes, the hype was real, especially for the GW1 folks that hoped to find a decent successor to their beloved game. Instead they found a “kitten”. The blood flowing through this game is only half royal. Because king papa made love with a lowlife steward and GW2 came out

(edited by Fasalina.6571)

Coltz.5617

There are probably 400k people currently playing the game.
I’d assume it impossible for you to be the only one in anything you do in game.

And yes, the hype was real, especially for the GW1 folks that hoped to find a decent successor to their beloved game. Instead they found a “kitten”. The blood flowing through this game is only half royal. Because king papa made love with a lowlife steward and GW2 came out

An extreme feminist steward that took dignity/purpose/ and history away from “King PaPa”. So much going on I can’t even squeeze in trahearne and abaddon I mean scarlet in there.

“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

(edited by Coltz.5617)

A R W E N.6895

Well D2 was an ok game for its time and ppl build up guilds for that game even though it realy was not part of the game ppl made it into being an mmorpg like game. D3 was made to be more of a pure hack and slash but the players wanted it to be like D2 was back when D2 was what 10 years old and had a player base that was out right raised on it. It would be imposable for D3 to live up to that and it may never if the player base of D2 will not keep to some point with D3.

You can say the same for GW1 vs GW2 you have a game where it was made into an mmorpg like game by the players not the game makers and was there for years so ppl have truly lived with the game.

GW2 is still very new for a full mmorpg (something GW1 was not and was not intended to be) you have a player base who where “hipster” join into the game after years of jumping form one mmorpg to another so they where for the most part jaded or they where from WoW and if it was not like WoW it was not a game for them. Back to the GW1 players and there view point in that they truly lived with GW1 with a community build arone it to the point of having them make there own web pages and low end videos making back when youtube was “cool.” So for a new game such as GW2 it is imposable to live up to a level of hype that GW1 was because its just simply not those times any more. The same ppl do not work on the web pages etc.. its mostly done for you.

Its the flaw of the “good o days” you can never go back and what you have now will never see as good as what you had when you where younger. Its realty just part of the human condition.

You are absolutely right. I remember as a kid being so happy getting home and playing my 1 hour of baal runs in D2. Some year later discovering Gw1 and farming minotaurs are running droknar forge for people.

The thing with these games is that we were promised alot and we were given alot.

Talking about Gw1, when faction came out I was left mindblown by all the content. New classes, new skill, new endzone.. new everything. Again the same for nightfall and for Eye of the north. The Devs were announcing content and we got that content. Horizontal and vertical progression were both in Gw1 (titles, fow armor, skins etc). This game was so complete that I ended up playing it for what 6+ years and never felt bored and also I was never left dissapointed.

I don’t know if you did the Gw2 beta, but omg that feeling when I first created my mesmer Silvary and just going through the caledon forest for the first time. I was left speechless by the beauty and content during the beta. This game had so much potential. When the game got out, and I went through the 100% map completion, story, dungeons etc I felt like ’’meh’’ I did everything. Then came the Fractals (which is actually really awesome), but lately I don’t really understand how it went from ’’Awesome’’ to ‘’meh got my daily chest now what’‘. And also we were introduced to this living story (Scarlet) which sounded really awesome since the dev were hyping it so much, but in end left me (and probably many other) with that thought ’’are we done with this scarlet thing and can we finally go to something else that is actually nice’’.

I actually don’t remember being bored in Gw1 by new content, or by repeating over and over and over again FoW, Uw, DoA (I was in a speed clear guild), The Deep or even Alliance battle and some GvG from time to time.

See my point?

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

Coltz.5617

^ Yes you have a very valid point showing the basic core problem of this game compared to gw1. Overall though I just think people who worked on gw1 was always excited to make new content to create a world of vision and making into reality. Gw2 completely erased the passion after release. More or less everything just feels put up with, this game certainly reflects the difference in attitude. Right now it feels like its all a mess~ and at best, content tacked on.

“ALL IS VAIN”

Jski.6180

@ A R W E N.6895

I want to ask you in GW2 how many times did you look up where to go and how to do something? How often did you pure solo it?
Now take how you played GW1 how often did you look up how to do things and how often did you solo things?

I am trying to get at is that in a way of having too much info at your hands makes things less fun you out right need to forces your self into not looking on fourms or community web pages to try to work things out for your self to have the fullest fun.

Just images when mmorpg first came out it was all world of month well IM you made your own maps you had to work out what needed to be done on the spot. We have all the info on how to beat something with in hr of new content coming out the first time is fun and is great but once we work out the “best” way of doing things it becomes a grind.

I truly think this is the “WoW” effect to be the first to be the best it has comply consume mmorpgs and maybe all of online gaming. Its not about rpg any more and the players over all do not want rpg they want loot and to be better then others as a means of internet ego.

My best adviese i could give you is to take a step back enjoy what you can and avoid what you do not enjoy when playing gw2. Your always going to get your money worth if you skip things because there is no monthly fee. Try not to look things up try not to use in game “cheats” try to do every thing with some one you know and like.

Posted by: FuriousPop.2789

FuriousPop.2789

i was (and still am) a massive db2 fan – never bought db3 cos when playing the trial i knew there would be something wrong with having 100% online only game – my gut feeling was right.

gw2 is starting to get there also. however when it comes to added content i just keep reminding myself that its free and also the fact that less expectation means less chance to crack the kittens!

soooooo looking at going to ESO – never payed subs ever and i might start with that!

have to admit gw1 did have me for about 1.5 years until i moved on..
gw2 – the clock is ticking and we almost at the 1.5 year mark… so chop chop on the good stuff

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Keanu Reeves is the One

Coltz.5617

Hm.. actually GW2 is starting to feel like a phone game that can be played in the style of an MMO with the LS’s. Not sure if people get what I mean.

“ALL IS VAIN”

A R W E N.6895

@ A R W E N.6895

I want to ask you in GW2 how many times did you look up where to go and how to do something? How often did you pure solo it?
Now take how you played GW1 how often did you look up how to do things and how often did you solo things?

I am trying to get at is that in a way of having too much info at your hands makes things less fun you out right need to forces your self into not looking on fourms or community web pages to try to work things out for your self to have the fullest fun.

Just images when mmorpg first came out it was all world of month well IM you made your own maps you had to work out what needed to be done on the spot. We have all the info on how to beat something with in hr of new content coming out the first time is fun and is great but once we work out the “best” way of doing things it becomes a grind.

I truly think this is the “WoW” effect to be the first to be the best it has comply consume mmorpgs and maybe all of online gaming. Its not about rpg any more and the players over all do not want rpg they want loot and to be better then others as a means of internet ego.

My best adviese i could give you is to take a step back enjoy what you can and avoid what you do not enjoy when playing gw2. Your always going to get your money worth if you skip things because there is no monthly fee. Try not to look things up try not to use in game “cheats” try to do every thing with some one you know and like.

To be honest, the only time I go on the internet to look up information is when I am crafting. Otherwise, I never used website to obtain the fastest way for dungeons. I’m in a Speed Clear guild with 2-3 world records on certain paths. So we are actually always trying to find new or better way to do dungeons.

As for Gw1, I went on websites to look at armor skins or to look up build.

You are right though that there is to many information given to the player, hence making it easy and in the end making the content fell a little dull. But it is not the point I am trying to explain here.

I’ve been playing this game with friends since the beginning, but the feeling I have toward the game right now is also a feeling shared by my friends (irl or ingame). I will quote my friend here ‘’new patch? Awesome’’ and exactly 10 minutes after ‘’nothing is working I guess I will log in tomorrow’’.

These two things that my friend said to me today after the patch is clearly showing that something is odd.

What I was trying to convey to everyone in this post is that something is wrong when you are made to believe that something huge is coming but in the end, what you got was… nothing great.

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Keanu Reeves is the One

No, it is Jet Li as the star in the film ‘The One’.

A R W E N.6895

Keanu Reeves is the One

The title from the post is not refering at all to any of these actors, or movie.

And as I saw here, I’m not the only one

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

tolunart.2095

Keanu Reeves is the One

The Matrix > The One.

Azala Yar.7693

Keanu Reeves is the One

The Matrix > The One.

Both are irrelevant to the thread.

Keanu Reeves is the one as in someone special.

Jet Li is the one as in only one left. Multi universe film where one of his others kills all the others except for one. Although technically there are 2 left the good one Jet Li character and the bad one.

Of course there was also the highlanders films, where only one would prevail.

Still irrelevant to the topic (although not the title), so I’ll stop there.

tolunart.2095

No, in the Matrix Reeves plays “the One” who is prophesied to save mankind from the machines. Throughout the first movie he doubts that this is true but the audience knows it is because his hacker handle is “Neo” which unscrambles to spell “One.”

Thus, KR is the One.

And Jet Li’s movie wasn’t very good.

“Although technically there are 2 left the good one Jet Li character and the bad one.”

That would make him number two.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Jski.6180

@ A R W E N.6895

Well its not just GW2 its all games online and or mmorpg its just how they are going to be for a time. GW2 realty is not that bad compared to what came before it its far better then WoW its more flexible then ff11 other mmorpg that have come out after GW2 have all failed to live up to any stander and i do not see ESO going that far and or wildstar.

As for the new content i am loving it they are very hard fights and the story has gotten much deeper but you got to work for it. This is what the old mmorpg had to work for story and read and look to see what is going on. I think GW2 is what you make of it if you can only push though new content it will feel just as because your playing as a means to an end not playing for the fact of playing.

tolunart.2095

Keanu Reeves is the One

The title from the post is not refering at all to any of these actors, or movie.

And as I saw here, I’m not the only one

Every major patch is followed by several bugfixes. I’ve played several MMOs over the last few years and this is common to all of them, it’s not just GW2. Also common to all MMOs is complaints about the content, it’s too hard/easy, updates are too slow/fast, they never fix any bugs, unreleased MMO X is going to destroy this game, etc.

It’s a broken record and it will never change. The fantastic MMO X will have the same problems, the same complaints, and the same claims that unreleased MMO Y will blow it out of the water.

A R W E N.6895

@ Jski.6180

Well said.

It’s simply that as a player who went through everything in the game, I need a bit more diversity. It does not mean that we need new dungeons or new maps. It means that with the current content, the Dev can clearly go more into depth.

And I actually play this game for the game, and if I actually get to an end, it means that something is wrong. Since when MMO end?

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

A R W E N.6895

@tolunart.2095

It is true. Don’t you think that in the end it would be better for all of us if we are not mislead by announcement (update)? Bring in the Hype for something big, but don’t make us think that something will be big when it is not.

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

Azala Yar.7693

@ A R W E N.6895

Well its not just GW2 its all games online and or mmorpg its just how they are going to be for a time. GW2 realty is not that bad compared to what came before it its far better then WoW its more flexible then ff11 other mmorpg that have come out after GW2 have all failed to live up to any stander and i do not see ESO going that far and or wildstar.

As for the new content i am loving it they are very hard fights and the story has gotten much deeper but you got to work for it. This is what the old mmorpg had to work for story and read and look to see what is going on. I think GW2 is what you make of it if you can only push though new content it will feel just as because your playing as a means to an end not playing for the fact of playing.

Actually it’s not better than WoW, if it was I’d be playing it atm, instead of WoW.

GW2 is a good game when levelling a character for the first couple of times (starts to get boring after that as it’s just the same missions).

What WoW has going for it is the amount of different content and more people playing but then it’s been out since 2004 USA, 2005 EU.

Living story ruined GW2 for me that coupled with changes to the game so as to make the shop more appealing.

I would like GW2 to be better of course, but so far it’s not happened.

Jski.6180

@ Jski.6180

Well said.

It’s simply that as a player who went through everything in the game, I need a bit more diversity. It does not mean that we need new dungeons or new maps. It means that with the current content, the Dev can clearly go more into depth.

And I actually play this game for the game, and if I actually get to an end, it means that something is wrong. Since when MMO end?

It means the mmorpg has not been out long enofe for ppl or its too easy say to make life easier for the player makes the game shorter such as WP (something they could not and would never remove) but they make the game better by having them. GW2 has this both ways its realty has not been out that long in an mmorpg life and its a very user friendly game so much so that you can get things done in a timely matter with out giving your life to playing the mmorpg only. This is a great thing an mmorpg needs to be a GAME that you can play with other games the old idea of playing one mmorpg and that it should be dead and needs to be killed if not.

If you realty cant find any thing else to do i suggest getting into WvW its very fun if you find a good group what may look like to be a zerg is more likely a group of ppl communicating a lot to get something done.

tolunart.2095

@tolunart.2095

It is true. Don’t you think that in the end it would be better for all of us if we are not mislead by announcement (update)? Bring in the Hype for something big, but don’t make us think that something will be big when it is not.

It’s the players, not the devs, who set themselves up for disappointment. Look at the cycle of hype surrounding recent MMO releases – years of advertisement get fans all riled up that the “WoW-killer” is on the way, followed by a drop in interest when the first recordings of actual gameplay come from the betas. Upon release millions of people flood the servers and the game crashes, followed by the first complaints. A month later people begin to realize that it’s just another MMO and drift away.

It’s the same group of people drifting from game to game, the ones who claim that the game that doesn’t exist yet is the perfect one. Last year it was ESO, now it’s Everquest Next. The year before it was GW2, before that SWTOR, before that Rift.

These people will never be satisfied because what they want does not exist. It cannot exist because the perfect game will never be made.

As for the devs, why shouldn’t they be excited about the game they’re creating? If the announcements were “eh, here’s an update because we had one scheduled, it’s no big deal,” then how would any of the players ever get excited about the game? A lot of people complaining on the forums do not like the Living Story so far, and the next few updates are specifically created to conclude the story.

So it’s a given that those who were not satisfied with the story so far are not going to like the first four updates of 2014.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

@ A R W E N.6895

Actually it’s not better than WoW, if it was I’d be playing it atm, instead of WoW.

GW2 is a good game when levelling a character for the first couple of times (starts to get boring after that as it’s just the same missions).

What WoW has going for it is the amount of different content and more people playing but then it’s been out since 2004 USA, 2005 EU.

Living story ruined GW2 for me that coupled with changes to the game so as to make the shop more appealing.

It is better than WoW, or I’d be playing WoW at the moment. It’s not only a little better than WoW, it’s a whole lot better than WoW, which I consider to be probably the worst thing that ever happened to the RPG community.

In fact, half the problems with Guild Wars 2 can trace their roots back to WoW and games like WoW that trained players to play a certain way and forced design decisions to help those players adapt to this game.

If WoW didn’t exist, I believe more people would be playing MMOs.

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

Yes, it’s you. It’s only you. You are unique, a special existence in this world.

Seriously, though, Diablo 3 had content, what was disappointing was its so so simple skill system that had absolutely nothing on Diablo 2’s masterpiece of a skill and combat system. What was disappointing was the emphasis on primary stats and gear that boosted those primary stats. What was disappointing was how the entire game was built from ground up to glorify the real money auction house.

GW2 is on much better footing. It has far, far more content, and Diablo 3 already lots of content in my book. Only morons looking for “end game content” were whining. You don’t need end game content, but I guess that’s what the mmo crowd has devolved into — and Diablo 3 isn’t even an MMO. GW2 though also has some disappointing design choices, in many ways its simplistic and rigid skill system is as big a disappointment compared to GW1 the way D3’s system was a huge disappointment compared to D2. Fortunately, GW2 isn’t built ground up to glorify the gem store, and I’ll give Anet kudos for that.

Anyway, enough of that. Back on topic, GW2 is fine. I don’t like the direction LW is taking right now and Scarlet can’t die and be shoved under the rug fast enough, but I’ll live.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

tolunart.2095

Right. I played WoW once, for an hour or two. The graphics are too cartoonish, I kept waiting for Bugs Bunny to pop up and say “What’s up, Orc?” The game itself was just plain boring and I gave up on it.

That’s just my opinion. If you prefer WoW to GW2, more power to you. I’ve got sixteen toons in GW2 and half of them are level 80. It’s not the perfect game, but it’s a lot of fun.

A R W E N.6895

This is so true.

I guess that some of the player from Gw1 that went into Gw2 felt like it was night and day. For me, Gw1 was perfect in every aspect (horizontal and vertical). But Gw2 needs more content, but the story, the lore, the maps and the environment is amazing.

I think that it is normal for players to expect more out of a good game, since in my oppinion, that is what drives Dev to bring in more content to a game.

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

A R W E N.6895

And by the way, I never played WoW.

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

@ A R W E N.6895

It is better than WoW, or I’d be playing WoW at the moment. It’s not only a little better than WoW, it’s a whole lot better than WoW, which I consider to be probably the worst thing that ever happened to the RPG community.

In fact, half the problems with Guild Wars 2 can trace their roots back to WoW and games like WoW that trained players to play a certain way and forced design decisions to help those players adapt to this game.

I agree with much of what you said. WoW made some BAD design choices that became the de facto standard for MMOs, but which bug me to no end. Things like time gating, cooldowns, farming, grinding, etc these are the legacy of WoW and they suck. I am annoyed that Gw2 is still implementing a lot of these things whether unwittingly or not.

An MMORPG doesn’t have to be his way. GW2 was designed with this kind of rallying cry in mind, but still ended up resembling the beast far too much, and that is disappointing.

That said, I disagree with the final statement. I feel wow did so much for the mmo genre, got tons more people into the genre than earlier MMOs like Everquest ever did. The only other game which I feel comes close to WoW’s influence is Ragnarok. I believe many people today started with WOW and ended up staying in the genre thanks to WoW.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

tolunart.2095

This is so true.

I guess that some of the player from Gw1 that went into Gw2 felt like it was night and day. For me, Gw1 was perfect in every aspect (horizontal and vertical). But Gw2 needs more content, but the story, the lore, the maps and the environment is amazing.

I think that it is normal for players to expect more out of a good game, since in my oppinion, that is what drives Dev to bring in more content to a game.

That comes from comparing a mature game (GW with several expansions and years of content/experiences) to a brand new game. I tried GW too, and though it’s an okay game there were a lot of things I didn’t like about it. The graphics show its age, there’s a lack of basic functions like the ability to jump, the stories just didn’t grab me.

GW2 was designed for players like me. Not everyone is like me, however, so if it doesn’t grab you then just play something else.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

@ A R W E N.6895

I agree with much of what you said. WoW made some BAD design choices that became the de facto standard for MMOs, but which bug me to no end. Things like time gating, cooldowns, farming, grinding, etc these are the legacy of WoW and they suck. I am annoyed that Gw2 is still implementing a lot of these things whether unwittingly or not.

An MMORPG doesn’t have to be his way. GW2 was designed with this kind of rallying cry in mind, but still ended up resembling the beast far too much, and that is disappointing.

That said, I disagree with the final statement. I feel wow did so much for the mmo genre, got tons more people into the genre than earlier MMOs like Everquest ever did. The only other game which I feel comes close to WoW’s influence is Ragnarok. I believe many people today started with WOW and ended up staying in the genre thanks to WoW.

WoW got tons of people into the genre and trained them to be loot ghouls. That’s all it did. More people isn’t better people. The way WoW has trained the community (and games they copied it because they wanted to be on that gravy train) killed the whole RPG aspect of RPGs. No not the ridiculous min-maxing stat aspect. The role-playing aspect. Games like Skyrim did really well, because min-maxing wasn’t a thing. Story was a thing. In WoW, it was all about getting the gear to do the next raid. That’s not an RPG to me. And that so many people think it is ruined MMO space.

Let me put it another way. For every person who plays MMOs because of WoW, I believe two people shun MMOs because of WoW and games like WoW. I believe if the MMO space had evolved differently you’d have more people playing them today.

What you have instead is a market of people that tolerate mediocrity who can be milked for more money. That’s more desirable to the publishers, but less so to me.

Azala Yar.7693

WoW, which I consider to be probably the worst thing that ever happened to the RPG community.

I’ve said much the same thing in the past although without a reference to GW2.

I don’t think so, WoW opened up MMOs to a wider player base, its cartoon graphics back in 2005 made it possible for people with lower end systems to play it as it was not as resource hungry as those trying to emulate real worlds (graphically speaking).

It’s not just MMO communities that suffer it’s in the real world too. But then competition for resources is always bad where communities are concerned. Which is why GW2 was promising to start with until they did a U-turn and jumped on the same band wagon as games like WoW.

A R W E N.6895

This is so true.

That comes from comparing a mature game (GW with several expansions and years of content/experiences) to a brand new game. I tried GW too, and though it’s an okay game there were a lot of things I didn’t like about it. The graphics show its age, there’s a lack of basic functions like the ability to jump, the stories just didn’t grab me.

GW2 was designed for players like me. Not everyone is like me, however, so if it doesn’t grab you then just play something else.

But then how come I sometime have the feeling as if it is a completely different team that designed this game and that not much of what was already in Gw1 appears to be in Gw2? Since the game was mature, why is it that its sequel (Gw2) seems to have not that many roots to its predecesor?

I know, Gw2 and Gw1 are two different games, but lots of good thing that was in the first game could have been brought in the new game and hence satisfying people that actually want to see more. The possibilities are here for sure, story and content wise.

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

tolunart.2095

GW2 is its own game, not an extension or expansion of GW. If you don’t accept that it’s a completely different entity then you will surely be disappointed. There is very little shared between them beyond the background story. The classes, mechanics, races, graphics, open world and so on are completely different from GW.

I don’t know if it was made by the same devs, but that is irrelevant. They made a decision to go in a different direction, and made a game for this decade, not the early 2000s that GW was created for.

Azala Yar.7693

Games like Skyrim did really well, because min-maxing wasn’t a thing. Story was a thing.

I actually found Skyrim to be awful to RP, because of the way the stories were linked. Had so many failed characters because at some point the RP fell over due to the story/game design. Never ever managed to complete it once even though I’ve had high level characters, but at some point the game became pointless as the RP was broken and in a single player RP game RP is more important.

A R W E N.6895

@tolunart.2095

Only Silvary were not present in Gw1.

Thieft, engeniers and Gardiens were also not in Gw1

And it is normal that the mechanics, graphics and things like that change. But it’s not relevant to the fact that content wise (Story, endgame, lore, titles, achievements, exploration, etc), Gw2 can do way better with what we already have and what we had before (in Gw1). There is so much potential for the Dev to build up on that it would be a complete waste if they did not. Take as an example: Guild Halls?, GvG?, posibility of bigger group for special instances (dungeons or missions), living story that could be unique to each race. I can go on and on with things like that.

They can even add one ‘’unique type’’ of weapon for each dungeon or path to make the loot hungry people happy (im refering to the obsidian edge from fow, or the tormented weapons from DoA).

For these loot hungry people you can also add Fractal armor (Obsidian armor in Gw1 is an example).

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

(edited by A R W E N.6895)

tolunart.2095

@tolunart.2095

Only Silvary were not present in Gw1.

Thieft, engeniers and Gardiens were also not in Gw1

You can play an asura, a charr, and a norn in GW? Strange, I have the game installed and have tried playing it for the HoM rewards, and never saw those options at character creation. Am I missing something?

A R W E N.6895

i did not say you can play them.

They are simply present

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

tolunart.2095

i did not say you can play them.

They are simply present

And in GW2 they are playable races. As I said, this is a different game in nearly every way.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

@ A R W E N.6895

Valid point, and kudo’s to you for calling it for what it is. Welcome to the “got to have it now” generation. Information overload and at every finger tip. Some of it right, most of it wrong. Hell, Mr. Gore said he invented it…

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

A R W E N.6895

yes indeed but the brought it from Gw1 and since they were able to bring races that were present in Gw1 to Gw2, how come is it hard to recycle some ideas or content from Gw1 in order to bring in bit more depth to the game.

Sometime sequels of big games tend to forget about everything that was good in their predecesor. I just don’t get it.

And I will say to you again that I know that Gw1 and Gw2 is two things, but there is clearly no reason for the Dev to have an hard time bringing in more depth in the game with what they already have in hands (A mature predecesor )

I love debate
www.keep-running.fr

tolunart.2095

They made a decision to go in a different direction. You may not like that direction, but that doesn’t mean the devs didn’t consider the matter before making this decision.