Ambient killer daily

Ambient killer daily

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

If anything, this game needs MORE exploding bonus critters every time I drop an AOE. They should increase critter density by at least ~5000%, and make them not count towards any AOE caps. I don’t want to be able to draw a dagger without a dozen fluffy animals catching on the edge.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Morpeth.5318

Morpeth.5318

Fool, this ONE rabbit nearly took out an entire well-armed party led by King Arthur no less.

NEVER… EVER underestimate the bunnies…

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Bunnies are an invasive species and they must be culled for the good of the poor, native species being displaced!

But I will admit they are so adorable that I always feel guilty over striking them down.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

…. should be removed.

Yes its just a pixels and 95% of guild wars population wont become animal abusers because of that but we have children playing here. Proposing that bashing rabbits or kitties to death is rewardable ( which is what anet is suggesting here ) is wrong and i bet in some form – illegal.

Yes yes this is a game but we have too much violence in games already, why add more?

Setting players on fire is ok

Killing rats? NOOO, THINK OF TEH CHILLDREEEN.

Also read the rating and the EULA. Kids shouldn’t be playing.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

Also rabbits are a pest where I’m from.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

I haven’t read all of the comments here, but my very first thought in response to the OP is. “Really? In WvWvW you are rewarded for killing other humans/intelligent races, simply because they aren’t from your home server… and you are worried about the bunnies?”

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I haven’t read all of the comments here, but my very first thought in response to the OP is. “Really? In WvWvW you are rewarded for killing other humans/intelligent races, simply because they aren’t from your home server… and you are worried about the bunnies?”

. . . and cats. There are a couple places with white critter cats around.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: viennapleads.1784

viennapleads.1784

But that’s how my necro gets easy life force!

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I feel dirtier killing Skritt than ambient creatures, at one point you are trying to save them, the next you are killing them.

Same with Jotun, once you know their history.

Or ogres.

In truth you could become an NPC, stay at home and bake cookies, since if you don’t travel outside the kitchen there is little chance any of these creatures you are out wailing tar on will find their way to your home.

Make sure you cook vegetarian.

Actually for my ambient kills I go into Claypool and kill all the pigs and chickens.

I am waiting to be arrested.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Actually for my ambient kills I go into Claypool and kill all the pigs and chickens.

Arrested?

My charr will get together with you and throw a barbecue.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

We all know rabbits are the spawn of the Champion Rabbit from FoTM. Run Away!

RIP in peace Robert

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Killing enough ambient creatures should trigger the PETA event, where they will attack you and you must fight. Actually, I’d love to do that too. =p

Oh, how I would love to have PETA staring down the business end of my Flamethrower.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Next

Hello,
please return to topic since this thread went into an off-topic direction recently.

Thank you.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

What if it was called ambient hunter (as in, hunting for food) as opposed to ambient killer (as in, killing for fun and profit)?

The table is a fable.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Stinson.5972

Stinson.5972

I actually have pet rats so I’ve never been a fan of ambient killer, but I realize it’s all in good fun. That said, it should be tempered with a new “ambient helper” daily where you give treats to the ambient fauna instead of killing them. Would help balance the population problem ambient killing would present

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

…. should be removed.

Yes its just a pixels and 95% of guild wars population wont become animal abusers because of that but we have children playing here. Proposing that bashing rabbits or kitties to death is rewardable ( which is what anet is suggesting here ) is wrong and i bet in some form – illegal.

Yes yes this is a game but we have too much violence in games already, why add more?

Complaining about excessive violence in a game based on mass killing seems .. a tad eccentric.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Can anyone here post a screenshot of their Indiscriminate Slayer achievement being zero? Assuming that not all slayers are zero and you haven’t leveled via crafting. I bet it’s nigh impossible.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

If it bothers you that much just play in Queensdale for a while and kill a few rats each time you pass through the Altar Brook Trading Post…

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

Just change the name to bunny killer and the description to: “look at those dead eyes, you know it’s either kill it now or wait till it kills you and everyone you know!” and im sure most players would gladly murderize every kitten bunny they see “for the greater good”

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I choose not to participate in Ambient Killer when it’s part of the daily, and I don’t try to dictate how the people I party with play. But there is nothing else (map chat aside) that can make me want to log out and read a book more than being with someone who is killing every small creature they come across. I don’t think it’s going to make people begin to torture puppies or anything like that. But, I hate it and wish it weren’t in the game.

I could go with the ever popular Immersion Breaking argument, after all how many people really go out of their way to kill every small creature they come across? How many “heroes” would do so? But the truth is seeing people fulfill that daily option makes me want to log out of the game, and I don’t feel that way about any other daily option. I know I’m not a special snowflake, so if I feel this way there are others that feel this way, too.

/signed

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I’m sure nobody would intentionally kill somebody’s beloved pet, which is what you’re implying

If only that where true.
I deal with a number of rabbit rescues around the world, what I have seen tells a far different story.

And almost none of them, if any, are connected in any way to gw2.

And your point? I will not kill the in game rabbits. If you have a problem with that, it’s YOUR problem. You can play anyway you want. I don’t know you, don’t play with you, so who cares? I will play the way I want (which is not at all currently) and it’s actually rather odd that you seem to care so much how I play? I wonder, can you explain how a complete stranger not wanted to kill an animated animal that I see as a pet in an online game effects you in any way, shape or form?

I think the point is…why are you till posting here and of all things on this subject?

Not to get off topic now, but since I stopped playing, I am no longer allowed to read or post in the forums? You can’t answer my question, so you try to take it off topic? Get lost troll.

If you’re not even faced with the choice whether or not to kill the rabbits, because you quit playing, who are you to sit here and complain about it as if it affects you at all in the least?

Why don’t you go on a Red Dead Redemption forum and complain about all the animal skinning that goes on in that game?

The $150.00 I paid to arenenet gives me the right to voice my opinion. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. I do not play curently, but I CAN play any time I like as long as the game servers are still up and I abide by the TOS.
They do not discuss Guild Wars on the “Red Dead Redemption” forums. I know this may be confusing to some, but useally a game forum is only for that game, not games by other developers.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Zeebok.1460

Zeebok.1460

I can’t believe this is a real topic and that it got to 4 pages….

Also, what about the warthogs and deer and the like? Yea you can’t one shot them, but they are just as innocent.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

What about the sentient beings we’re constantly slaughtering? Surely this will have a negative impact on all the toddlers playing? But seriously, never play minecraft. That whole game is one huge animal-murder-fest.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I feel dirtier killing Skritt than ambient creatures, at one point you are trying to save them, the next you are killing them.

Same with Jotun, once you know their history.

Or ogres.

In truth you could become an NPC, stay at home and bake cookies, since if you don’t travel outside the kitchen there is little chance any of these creatures you are out wailing tar on will find their way to your home.

Make sure you cook vegetarian.

The Vengeful Chicken Murder Squad in Ebonhawk makes me extremely nervous about attacking livestock in city boundaries.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Teulius.8752

Teulius.8752

Well tbh, I don’t agree that it promotes violence but i do agree that it is stupid, uncreative, boring and unchallenging while also, something i do not want to fantasize about. Fantasy games are about living through a fantasy, kind of a simulator of what it would be like to be a character form a fantasy movie or book or something of that sort. It has nothing to do with killing defenseless, passive animals.
So pretty much, to sum it up, I don’t like killing: wolves, bears, cats, rabbits, racoons, rams, dolyaks and I avoid doing so unless it’s a part of an event.
But i do like killing: risen, sons of svanir, the nightmare court, bandits, corrupted creatures, dragons, ghosts and such.
So it would be better if we got a daily to kill 30 sons of svanir instead of critters. But then again, i disslike this because it’s going back to the ‘’go and kill’’ mentality of an mmo which is not what i signed up for when i bought gw2.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I like ambient killer, even if I am not having it as a daily I kill all ambient stuff I come across to level weapon achievements.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Ambient killer daily

Ethics.4519

This is crazy. OP, are you vegetarian? You know millions of innocent animals are killed everyday just for human consumption. Also, millions of those animals kill other animals for animal consumption. That’s in REAL LIFE as well, not just a video game where nothing matters.

If you eat meat you’re hypocritical. “I don’t condone killing animals in video games, bring my steak!”

Can we lock this already?

RIP in peace Robert

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

That’s the new Daily for you. Always pushing players to do things that don’t fit in with their desired play style.

Actually you get to choose from 9, so your statement is false.

No, the statement is fine, it’s just a misunderstanding on your end. What you seem to be missing is that we have to choose 5 tasks from a selection of 9 to complete the Daily, and it’s not always easy to find 5 tasks on that list that everyone wants to do.

Ambient killing, being directed to perform a specific activity in a specific zone you had no intention of visiting, PvP tasks.. plenty of things on that list that aren’t necessarily going to appeal to everyone.

(edited by Edge.4180)

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: KevinEvo.7061

KevinEvo.7061

It’s ok to kill the hundreds of other animals and also humans, but you have a problem with the rabbits?

Ambient killer daily

Edge.4180

It’s ok to kill the hundreds of other animals and also humans, but you have a problem with the rabbits?

By humans you mean bandits/pirates, and by animals you mean hostile monsters of nightmare? If so, sure.

Ambient killer daily

Ethics.4519

That’s the new Daily for you. Always pushing players to do things that don’t fit in with their desired play style.

Actually you get to choose from 9, so your statement is false.

No, the statement is fine, it’s just a misunderstanding on your end. What you seem to be missing is that we have to choose 5 tasks from a selection of 9 to complete the Daily, and it’s not always easy to find 5 tasks on that list that everyone wants to do.

Ambient killing, being directed to perform a specific activity in a specific zone you had no intention of visiting, PvP tasks.. plenty of things on that list that aren’t necessarily going to appeal to everyone.

What’s wrong with pushing people to try new things? Everybody complained about everybody being in LA for FoTM or Orr for farming. Now you have a reason to go to low level zones.

It’s pushing not forcing, as you have 9 options like you said, and the fact is that you don’t have to do any of these. You can do them, ignore them, quit the game, etc.

RIP in peace Robert

Ambient killer daily

Ethics.4519

By humans you mean bandits/pirates, and by animals you mean hostile monsters of nightmare? If so, sure.

Not all bandits and pirates kill people. Without a trial, which is not held, nobody deserves the death sentence. Obviously this is game, but since we are using realistic reasoning, I jumped on.

RIP in peace Robert

Ambient killer daily

Edge.4180

What’s wrong with pushing people to try new things?

What you’re essentially asking is what’s wrong with pushing people to play the game in a way that may not interest them.

Why not just enable open-PvP in the PvE zones? What’s wrong with pushing people to try new things?

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Not all bandits and pirates kill people. Without a trial, which is not held, nobody deserves the death sentence. Obviously this is game, but since we are using realistic reasoning, I jumped on.

No, NEVER kill priates! The lack of pirates is what is causing global warming!
It’s on the internet so it must be true! ;-)

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: VicSkimmr.3216

VicSkimmr.3216

What you’re essentially asking is what’s wrong with pushing people to play the game in a way that may not interest them.

Why not just enable open-PvP in the PvE zones? What’s wrong with pushing people to try new things?

You realize the daily quest is optional, yes?

Ambient killer daily

Edge.4180

You realize the daily quest is optional, yes?

By his logic, so is playing the game.

And, yes, I know playing the game is optional, but my point is sometimes offering the advice “just don’t do it” as a solution in cases like this is generally not very helpful.

(edited by Edge.4180)

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Sometimes, I feel sorry for the mobs I have to kill. One such case would be when I stumbled into a Nightmare Court village, where you could find a worn poetry book that some sylvari had given to his or her dear friend, to brighten up even the darkest days. Now that was quite sad.

Critters that my attacks bounce off to? I don’t apologize to every ant I step on.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

Then don’t do it! You can pick your own dailies.

I swear, people whine about everything.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

…. should be removed.

It’s just a game. If kids are going to think it’s okay to kill a rabbit because they did it in Guild Wars 2, then maybe they’re too young for this game. People need to take personal responsibility, and you know, actually monitor their kids if they’re so worried about them being desensitized.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

How can a topic like this not turn off-topic:D
Tou I find it funny:) I kill the critters in-game, not real life.. And guess what my small cousins do the same .. In-game.. Not real life.. Very different.. Like seeing a man get hit by a car in a game/movie/w/e.. And real life.. Very different..
Kinda opposite here, watching blood, wounds or surgery in telly doesn’t make me sick, but I don’t like to watch it.. Real life it is fair game.

Teach kids to be responseble and act rational, don’t put a sack over their head:)

Ambient killer daily

Ethics.4519

Yes, that is what I’m asking. What’s wrong with that? It’s just encouraging, not forcing.

If you enable open world PvP in PvE zones then you are FORCING people to either kill or be killed, and deal with all the PvP. Your only options are to either deal with it or quit the game. Whereas your options for the daily are do it, do it sometimes, don’t do it, or quit the game.

RIP in peace Robert

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

This is a silly request.
I don’t think the Ambient Killer daily should be removed or changed in any way (unless that’s to include WvW players).
The idea that rewarding players for killing small animals makes as much sense as rewarding players for drinking alcohol (there’s an achievement for so many drinks).
It’s just a game.
Rated T for Teen.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

I think some players draw too much attention to such things. This is a game and if you cannot distinguish this from reality then you sir have an issue.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Ambient killer daily

Edge.4180

Part of the problem is people will (despite not wanting to) choose Ambient Killer over other things because the choice is either a) running your character around looking like bunny/raccoon/pigeon slayer (which, by the way, is a bit frustrating for people who try to role-play in these games), or b) choosing an option that is more time-wasting and obnoxious instead.

The original Daily was nice in that it offered tasks that you general completed just by playing in the PvE maps, whether you were even trying to or not. Kill variety, kill amount, event participation, gathering.. all very generic tasks that fit well with any number of play interests.

But now, the choices are much more specific. Go to zone X and complete task Y. Kill underwater. Kill ambient creatures. Find 10 characters to revive even though your normal play session may only take you past a maximum of 2. Play Keg Brawl.

We’re no longer completing the Daily just by playing the game our way, we’re logging on and saying “which five hoops will I jump through today to earn a token for end-game gear” and working on the Daily instead of just having fun playing our way. And there’s a big difference. It’s a chore now instead of bonus for simply playing (which was its original intention, aimed at rewarding players who didn’t have a lot of time to play – ironic now since it chews up so much time on its own separate from normal play).

I love that we have options.. I just wish we had more options to choose from. Because I would like the option of choosing generic kill variety, generic kill amount, generic event, and gathering + one other task every single day. I certainly wouldn’t feel like I have to choose between killing ambient deer or Keg Brawl. Who cares if someone else thinks my selection is boring.. it’s what I enjoyed doing, and they have the option of choosing something else. Pushing me to play the game your way is just not cool.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

Fiction has no place among our ‘moral landscape’.

If it did, then it wouldn’t be fiction.

Also, in game, I slaughter frogs. They make for good stews that I can feed my pet raccoon.

Ambient killer daily

Edge.4180

Fiction has no place among our ‘moral landscape’.

If it did, then it wouldn’t be fiction.

Also, in game, I slaughter frogs. They make for good stews that I can feed my pet raccoon.

I may have inadvertently exploded your pet raccoon in the last Daily Ambient Killer. :/

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Art.9820

Art.9820

Wait… if this is supposed to motivate animal cruelty shouldn’t yaks be removed from WvW too?, just a thought…

All classes

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Jammypack.3018

Jammypack.3018

All i can say is the OP just pulled off a 4 – page troll INCLUDING an Anet person who actually told people to get back on topic.

enthusiastic golf clap

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Guys, the OP is trolling.

He wins.

Ambient killer daily

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

All i can say is the OP just pulled off a 4 – page troll INCLUDING an Anet person who actually told people to get back on topic.

enthusiastic golf clap

So people who post here are stupid?

At least they have something interesting to say on the topic. Violence in all computergames is a popular debatable subject and what is being discussed is its appropriateness in GW2 in the form of the Ambient Killer.

But according to you all that is not important because “OP is a troll”. enthusiastic golf clap back at you