An anti 'Meta' rant.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

sighhhhhhhhhhhh. This game really need a better lfg to separated those two groups. It’s becoming annoying more than anything else.

But we can’t have simple hard mode / normal mode separations ( source ).

Because reasons.

Probably because the devs expect players to do things like read descriptions and start new LFG posts when nothing matches what they want. Big mistake.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I run zerk with guild groups, I run soldier or valk in pugs to prove a point. A lot of times the groups will say hey good run, or good time and at the end of the run. Then I’ll say oh hey I’ve been in soldiers the entire time. You know how people usually react? Wow…. a necro in soldier gear doing that well? What ever we will invite you to future groups anyway. Know what I do then? Run zerker

Thanks for understanding my point

Well IMO the game really need dps meter (that only you can see, not your party). That wouldd put some try hard in their place. Too many people think they have the same or near the dps of DNT meta build and think that small variation from the meta equal automatically a horrible dps. But remember, even if I understand your point of view, I still find that you lack respect to others that ask meta or zerker only when you join on soldier.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Trying to be more on topic instead of responding to this zerk vs non-zerk nonsense…

Personally I find the content boring if it takes too long. I don’t enjoy taking an hour to beat a dungeon.

Also, there’s really no incentive to go anything other than zerk. Either you do the content faster, or you do it slower. I’m not sure what the point of doing it slower is.

The real problem is, it stops being fun after a while. The content is the same every time. People keep playing because they enjoy accumulating wealth for no real purpose. That’s generally why people continue playing these games after they’ve mastered the content.

Personally I just play this game because I like to roleplay. I only run PvE content in order to get stuff for roleplay. So I actually have a reason to do the content fast.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I don’t know why I bother with these conversations. Nothing but children going on about how they purposely spite people who want to play differently than them. Why anet doesn’t ban these trolls is beyond me.

To be honest man. I’m super annoyed at what Zalavaaris.5329 say, but he’s kind of right. He completly lack respect for the group that specifically ask for meta, but one guy in soldier or cleric if he do his job decently, won’t affect much the dungeon. People that run meta don’t have that high dps anyway. In pugs they don’t run food, utility, they rarely have perma 25 of vulnerability, they leave the icebow on the ground, don’t deep freeze properly, have poor rotation, leave the warrior alone so one banner is left behind, etc. Just by all that, the dps of the group will vary more than one guy using soldier. So in the end people don’t notice.

If i’m in a guild group and one of use is in soldier, now that will show. Or if one guy is in soldier and the 4 other guys are bad or have bad build, then it will show. But for the vast majority, it won’t make a difference. That’s why I never bother with asking zerker or meta.

Again, that’s a complete lack of respect for other players on his part, but he’s right that he doesn’t make his group suffer. They just never notice it.

I run zerk with guild groups, I run soldier or valk in pugs to prove a point. A lot of times the groups will say hey good run, or good time and at the end of the run. Then I’ll say oh hey I’ve been in soldiers the entire time. You know how people usually react? Wow…. a necro in soldier gear doing that well? What ever we will invite you to future groups anyway. Know what I do then? Run zerker

Thanks for understanding my point

It’s still spiteful and trolling. Basic manners, dude…

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

sighhhhhhhhhhhh. This game really need a better lfg to separated those two groups. It’s becoming annoying more than anything else.

But we can’t have simple hard mode / normal mode separations ( source ).

Because reasons.

Probably because the devs expect players to do things like read descriptions and start new LFG posts when nothing matches what they want. Big mistake.

Ya but a better LFG will also help Fractals and the new challenging group content too.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I don’t know why I bother with these conversations. Nothing but children going on about how they purposely spite people who want to play differently than them. Why anet doesn’t ban these trolls is beyond me.

To be honest, I’ve barely seen any dev or community manager talking about what the game actually is in PvE. For PvP/WvW they all speak about the builds that exists, or the way people play the game (they at least mentioned the existence of roamers, zergs, GvG and scouts in WvW). For PvE they only talk about what will/could be the future but barely speak about how people play the actual game.
The only mention I’ve read was Linsey Murdock commenting on the SW chest farm. She didn’t say anything about its future but at least she acknowledged its existence. Back in the time there has been a comment by Robert Hrouda about the skipping. But since then I’ve never seen any mention about Metagame, being build or gear set.

If they would come from time to time and say a sentence like " for meta players this change would lead to…. " or “with the LFG everybody should find likeminded people, be it full metazerk group or come as you want run” it would just make players understand that (at least I think) they are ok with the fact there are different ways of playing the game.
Instead of this we have people like OP thinking he has better knowledge of what others should do or not and what is fun or not. This, as always leads to a sterile topic which will be either closed in the next 5 hours because the name-calling game will reach unmanageable levels or will sink on page 3 so that somebody else will again reopen a new one in two days and this will again lead to the same trouble.

I know Gaile Gray will read this and I’m sorry in advance for what I’m going to say but the entire community team (I don’t talk for devs since it is not their job) did a much better job before launch (read from Prophecies launch until Official GW2 forum launch) to create a friendly community where everyone was not necessarily playing the same way but it was no problem for anybody since we knew it was no problem for the devs. At that time the only big wall between players was the PvP ones against the PvE ones when there was a balance update. Other than that, solo farmers/SC team were richer than other people but since it was clearly stated that there was no intention to remove those game plays the whining never lasted long.
It’s 2 years now that the community splits more and more with more and more acidic arguments and no peacemaker tries to calm things down……..

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

Slowing down a meta speedrun even a little bit when you know the intention of the group instead of just making your own anybody welcome group is spiteful, trolling, griefing, and I would even go as far as to say LFG abuse.

You think they don’t notice because they’re too polite to complain. But you always notice when your times are off, even if its just a few seconds.

Now, with all of that aside. If you hate Zerker meta so bad why do you want to ride on the coattails of their dungeon runs? Join an anybody welcome LFG and have fun just playing the game. Since that is apparently your goal right? No, you have to ride the coattails of the zerker metas speedruns because even you don’t want to spend 40 minutes doing the same dungeons over and over.

What slows groups down more, me in non zerker gear or bad meta pugs thinking they are doing it right because DNT told them to wiping because they are bad. A lot of my meta only runs I end up carrying them because I’m a better player than a lot of them. And that’s the kittening point, skill > gear in a situation where you don’t know your group and how skilled they are. In premades and guild groups you bet your kitten I’m in meta gear because then it matters. It means jack kitten when bad players think they’re good because they are in “optimal” gear. So no, it’s not trolling or griefing, it’s saving my own time in the event my group sucks.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Slowing down a meta speedrun even a little bit when you know the intention of the group instead of just making your own anybody welcome group is spiteful, trolling, griefing, and I would even go as far as to say LFG abuse.

You think they don’t notice because they’re too polite to complain. But you always notice when your times are off, even if its just a few seconds.

Now, with all of that aside. If you hate Zerker meta so bad why do you want to ride on the coattails of their dungeon runs? Join an anybody welcome LFG and have fun just playing the game. Since that is apparently your goal right? No, you have to ride the coattails of the zerker metas speedruns because even you don’t want to spend 40 minutes doing the same dungeons over and over.

What slows groups down more, me in non zerker gear or bad meta pugs thinking they are doing it right because DNT told them to wiping because they are bad. A lot of my meta only runs I end up carrying them because I’m a better player than a lot of them. And that’s the kittening point, skill > gear in a situation where you don’t know your group and how skilled they are. In premades and guild groups you bet your kitten I’m in meta gear because then it matters. It means jack kitten when bad players think they’re good because they are in “optimal” gear. So no, it’s not trolling or griefing, it’s saving my own time in the event my group sucks.

Of course some of them will be bad. They’re either new or learning. Using kittenty gear as a crutch isn’t how you get better. Once upon a time I sucked at this game. I wore zerker gear since day one. People laughed at me and told me to put on defensive stats. No, that is pointless. I learned to dodge, I learned to time my blocks, I learned to use reflects when needed, I learned how to use all of the games active damage mitigation. You’ll never learn to do those things when you’re in so much useless defensive gear that you don’t need to do those things. You’ll never become a good player, just a hindrance.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: BrokenGlass.9356

BrokenGlass.9356

this guy is a great example of what I’m talking about.

“AWWWWW, man! Why, man, can’t we just, uuhhh, play separately, I don’t go onto their thread, man, and like, say disrespectful things. I, like don’t expect everyone to just, like, respect what, I like want and stuff without even understanding their point or anything…”

(and yes, I’m a huge wanes world fan, so I don’t deem this an insult, please add “,man,” and “like” into my posts when quoting them, I’ll love you for it)

and yes, I spent time ranting for a page or so….

but the number of agreements is startling I’m so glad to know I’m not the only guy who feels this way.

and yes, I do occasionally link zerk gear to the wannabe speed runners… and yeah, its usually when I need money….

But ya know what the Dev’s recently did? And its why I don’t really do this anymore, unless I’m in the mood to troll the trolls…

THEY GAVE US THE SILVERWASTES!!!!!

now, speedrunners…. please go ride the train down there, and make like 5x the gold. and let me run dungeons with a group that wants to have fun.

oh, and I’m not redefining fun… btw. I’m clarifying that being yelled at, or yelling at people for screwing up your gaming all night, isn’t fun

oh and sure, lets just do “separate but equal” on this one…. complete with gay marriage bans, Jim crow laws, and kitten, while were at it, lets let people buy and sell players on the auction house! (please don’t be stupid enough to miss the sarcasm here.)

kitten me….

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

I haven’t read what everyone else has wrote but I am going to respond to the original post; Fun is subjective. Play how you want means being accepting of how people play. This means if someone chooses to play Berserker, you let them. And if someone chooses to play Nomads you let them.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Dinks.2478

this guy is a great example of what I’m talking about.

“AWWWWW, man! Why, man, can’t we just, uuhhh, play separately, I don’t go onto their thread, man, and like, say disrespectful things. I, like don’t expect everyone to just, like, respect what, I like want and stuff without even understanding their point or anything…”

(and yes, I’m a huge wanes world fan, so I don’t deem this an insult, please add “,man,” and “like” into my posts when quoting them, I’ll love you for it)

and yes, I spent time ranting for a page or so….

but the number of agreements is startling I’m so glad to know I’m not the only guy who feels this way.

and yes, I do occasionally link zerk gear to the wannabe speed runners… and yeah, its usually when I need money….

But ya know what the Dev’s recently did? And its why I don’t really do this anymore, unless I’m in the mood to troll the trolls…

now, speedrunners…. please go ride the train down there, and make like 5x the gold. and let me run dungeons with a group that wants to have fun.

oh, and I’m not redefining fun… btw. I’m clarifying that being yelled at, or yelling at people for screwing up your gaming all night, isn’t fun

oh and sure, lets just do “separate but equal” on this one…. complete with gay marriage bans, Jim crow laws, and kitten, while were at it, lets let people buy and sell players on the auction house! (please don’t be stupid enough to miss the sarcasm here.)

kitten me….

If you don’t want to be yelled at then don’t join speedruns when you don’t run the meta build or gear. If you expect to be allowed to have fun the way you enjoy it you should be willing to allow others to have fun the way they do. Stay out of each others parties. Nobody goes joining Anybody Welcome parties and starts kittening about people not wearing zerker so keep yourself out of zerker parties when you’re not wearing it. Its a pretty simple concept that you just admitted to ignoring. So the only issue with this game is YOU.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Sorry but this quote made me laughed really hard. So you want to have fun in dungeon so people who wants money should accept you even if you don’t fit their requirements.
BUT it is no problem for you that people who want to play SW “as intended” (fort + breach + VW + Laby) get screwed by a chest farm map were nobody cares about map objectives and where they simply can’t play the way they want….

If you answer those people can find another map thenyou know what you can do to have fun in dungeons.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Zalavaaris.5329

Here’s a simple question to people who aren’t happy with some of us choosing to not run zerker in some situations. If I had my reaper in valk gear would you speed run with me or would you demand I run zerk?

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Here’s a simple question to people who aren’t happy with some of us choosing to not run zerker in some situations. If I had my reaper in valk gear would you speed run with me or would you demand I run zerk?

I actually hate speed running pug groups, as I find pug and speed running as an oxymoron and usually most of those players are pretty toxic. I always pug random groups because its more enjoyable for me, the players are friendlier and they usually don’t rage. That being said, I am also in a speed running dungeon guild and I prefer optimal team comps in those situations.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Why can’t you guys just form your own groups? It sucks that once or twice you might have been told off for joining a meta group when you didn’t understand what was happening, but that’s no reason to ruin everyone else’s time.

The lfg is there for a reason. There is more than plenty non-meta non-zerk groups you can have fun with. Why specifically join a meta group and then link gear you aren’t wearing just to waste someone else’s time?

How would you like it if someone did this to you? If you were standing in a queue somewhere in real life and wanted to be in and out of the place relatively quickly and some random decided to hold everything up at the front of the queue not because they had a legitimate problem, but just to upset you and waste your time

You don’t even know them, but simply by being there they decided it’s their duty to hold you up.

This is exactly what you guys are doing and in the real world that kind of stuff is socially unacceptable behaviour.

If you want I can join your groups and bug out the last boss and prevent you from killing it after you’ve spent the past 45 minutes getting to it. I mean you wouldn’t mind would you? I just enjoy that playstyle and I’m playing how I want. That’s pretty much what you guys are doing to us.

Join or make your own groups. We aren’t hurting or insulting you. Just don’t join a meta group without running meta. It isn’t hard. If you want to be part of the fast runs then get friends to carry you or learn to run Zerk.

noice

(edited by mexay.3902)

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I understand you don’t like seeing speedrun groups and fully support you if you’re complaining about wannabe speedrunners crashing your party and ruining your fun, but suggesting they should just GTFO of dungeons completely? Are you seriously asking people to stop playing where and how they want to play just so it’s a little more convenient for you to join PUGs in dungeons?

Please tell me that’s not the case, because if it was that would be alarmingly hypocritical of you.

Ah, my apologies then. When you started the post with “At what point did the fun become secondary to the money we can make?” it framed my perception of you argument as speed runners weren’t having the proper type of fun.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Dinks.2478

No, because I would take the Zerker Reaper instead because I am not going to kitten my group because you want to gloat about your higher health pool.

Despite what you claim less crit chance = less damage. There isn’t even a debate there.

With that said, The solution to this whole problem is simple.

Here I made a simple diagram for people to use when joining parties. It will solve all of the problems.

Attachments:

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Jade Nekotenshi.8702

Jade Nekotenshi.8702

From my perspective, I don’t mind speedrunners as such. What I do mind is a group of people with no clue kicking me because I have a pair of Assassin’s swords on a mesmer (pardon me for actually using an almost-but-not-quite-perfect random drop!). That, or an entire group of sir-dies-a-lot that keeps on wiping, but yells at me for daring to summon an ice elemental or switch into water to try to save them, claiming that I’m not doing max DPS.

Basically, if you’re actually elite, you rock right on and have fun your way, because it clearly works for you and far be it from me to interfere. But if you’re Louie the Clueless who’s still figuring out how this high-level-content stuff works, please stop stinking up the joint by trying to enforce the meta. It’s based on observations of how things work with high skill; it’s not the law. It’s not the only way that works.

If you’re trying to do things the meta way, failing at it, then yelling at me for competently playing a non-meta build, you’re part of the problem. If you’re a competent metazerker, then go right ahead, if this group was advertized as a speedrun. As previous posters have said, respect is a two-way street.

Kati Kainulainen – Norn warrior | Irina Kuznetsova – Human elementalist
Baghaar Ironfang – Charr guardian | Maja Sigurdsdottir – Norn ranger
Tarnished Coast

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

No, because I would take the Zerker Reaper instead because I am not going to kitten my group because you want to gloat about your higher health pool.

Despite what you claim less crit chance = less damage. There isn’t even a debate there.

Here I made a simple diagram for people to use when joining parties. It will solve all of the problems.

This is really off topic but there’s a reaper build with 100% crit chance from traits so it might as well just go valk. Any precision at all is wasted on that build.

But anyway yeah like generally there’s no point to not go zerk.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Brullyra.1592

Brullyra.1592

Fully agree with OP

This is why I don’t do dungeons in this game, just not fun (this is a game remember!)

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Zalavaaris.5329

That’s the problem…. everyone thinks zerker is the best gear for everything. Are you aware that a Reaper in valk gear has the same power as zerker, the same ferocity as zerker, and over 100% critical chance? Anything over 100% probably isn’t helpful lol oh and with valk a lot more health. Did you know all of that or just assume zerker was best?

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Dinks.2478

That’s the problem…. everyone thinks zerker is the best gear for everything. Are you aware that a Reaper in valk gear has the same power as zerker, the same ferocity as zerker, and over 100% critical chance? Anything over 100% probably isn’t helpful lol oh and with valk a lot more health. Did you know all of that or just assume zerker was best?

Lol, Precision > Vitality 100% of the time.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Zalavaaris.5329

What good is precision when you have over 100% critical with 0 precision?

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you’re talking about the new elite Profession Reaper, it’s not in game yet so scolding people about assuming zerker stats is best for a non existent profession is pointless.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Zalavaaris.5329

If you’re talking about the new elite Profession Reaper, it’s not in game yet so scolding people about assuming zerker stats is best for a non existent profession is pointless.

Well I just assumed these super pro speed clearing theory crafters do their homework right? Or do they just listen and follow? Lol

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well I just assumed these super pro speed clearing theory crafters do their homework right? Or do they just listen and follow? Lol

They are doing their math and homework on existing professions, not something that might be months from now and could be changed before it gets here. Pointless comparisons are pointless.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Zalavaaris.5329

They are doing their math and homework on existing professions, not something that might be months from now and could be changed before it gets here. Pointless comparisons are pointless.

Uh hu…….

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Well if I want to nit pick, it’s just over 100% in reaper shroud is it not? You are going to have to be out of it to build lifeforce at times, and while there is a trait that will give quite a bit of crit chance it’s a tradeoff with other potential power and if I’m remembering correctly you’re still a little bit off that max crit chance.

That said, to your original question. I find it disrespectful to ignore requests in the LFG. That said, if you joined said “hey i’m wearing valkyrie but <insert the valid reasons why it’s just about as good>” I’d be like, “yeah cool, fine by me.” What bugs me most is when people try sneak into groups and then get offended when they’re called out. As if they deserve the respect to be accepted even if they can’t be bothered to show some respect in the first place. I’ll join a “looking for guard” group on my mesmer and just ask “hey cool if I go mesmer, if not I can swap guard” and it’s almost always ok.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Dinks.2478

What good is precision when you have over 100% critical with 0 precision?

Show me this imaginary build where you have over 100% crit with no precision. I would really love to see it.

Your “100%” crit you’re talking about is based around several conditions that must be met. The enemy needs to be at 25 stacks of vulnerability AND you need to be in reaper shroud. Two things that will not be happening at the same time 100% of the time or even 100% in general.

(edited by Dinks.2478)

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Just my 5 cents:

• I agree that the primary goal of any game is and should be having fun. If you’re not enjoying yourself, you shouldn’t be playing this, because then it’s not a game.
  • I do not agree that running “meta” is wrong by definition. Once you have reached the higher skill cap (if it is even about skill), it’s just beneficial for you to run berserker gear, hell it might even be fun to run it.
  • I think the fact that so many people wish to kill mobs as fast as they can, is due to an in-game design flaw. ArenaNet did in most of the PvE content not provide us with bosses or mobs that are challenging, they provided us with giant health bags. Nobody really like staring at a healthbag that is going down sloooooooowly, so they just take as much damage as possible.
  • For some of the more challenging PvE content (fractals) for example, again it’s best to have berserker and ascended gear quality. For this content you want this particular gear so you can succeed the missions without wiping 3-4 times. Does it matter to wipe? For me it does: I don’t enjoy wiping.
  • But all said and done, indeed if you do content to do content so you can have fun in that other content… that’s just dumb.

TLDR: If you don’t like doing something, don’t do it. What you like, isn’t necessarily what someone else likes.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If I speed ran (I don’t):

Yes. Especially if I had kicked others/asked others in the group to change. I have to be fair. I can’t give preferential treatment to one person.

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Stuff

My fun is making money and getting expensive stuff in game. That is my fun. If I’m not doing it fast enough I don’t have fun.

Now stop trying to tell people how they should enjoy their time in game. Each of us is different – there’s room for all of us.

Every person has different goals and objectives in the game.

I for example like to role play as a warrior that likes to get as much gold as possible as fast as possible and spend it on expensive stuff. Don’t ruin my immersion please.

Also OP – these posts that are “tearing you down” aren’t doing it because “you hit too close to home” – they’re doing it because you’re telling people what fun is and isn’t – and that’s wrong.

My fun is my own – I don’t care about how you define fun and what’s fun for you. I care about what’s fun for me and will play the game accordingly. If you don’t like it play with people you enjoy.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

(edited by Harper.4173)

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Jade Nekotenshi.8702

Jade Nekotenshi.8702

I wonder about that, actually. The problem is that for direct damage builds, zerk gear is so good that there’s almost no other rational choice. A few builds might favor Assassin’s, sometimes, and apparently the new favored hybrid direct/condi Engineer likes Rampager and Sinister, but otherwise, primary power with both precision and ferocity is a hard deal to beat.

I wonder what would happen if zerk gear became ferocity primary, with power/precision secondary? Interesting diverse tradeoffs, or pointless nerf that wouldn’t change anything?

Kati Kainulainen – Norn warrior | Irina Kuznetsova – Human elementalist
Baghaar Ironfang – Charr guardian | Maja Sigurdsdottir – Norn ranger
Tarnished Coast

An anti 'Meta' rant.

Posted by: Moderator.3204

Moderator.3204

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.