An idea how to make dungeons more attractive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Karisho.3058

Karisho.3058

So, I’ve been playing Gw2 since the release, mostly PvE. My problem, and I think, it’s a problem, that a lot of PvE players have, is, that the dungeons became really boring. The only reason for me to run them, is the gold. I was thinking about some ways to change that. The first thing would be, to add new dungeons. Now, the problem with that is, that they will also become boring after some time.
What I was thinking about the most was to add something to the dungeons to make them attractive again. Just an item, that can only drop in this dungeon. It shouldn’t be something game changing that gives advantages over players, that don’t have the items. Rather should it be something collectible, something that adds a bit prestige. For example a miniature or a special skin.
Now, I want to know, what do you think about this idea?

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Fractals?

Karisho.3058

I’m fine with fractals, but I was talking about the dungeons.

BrooksP.4318

Fractals is what you are describing, and dungeons already have skins associated with each one. Granted the skins aren’t exclusive anymore due to PVP tracks, but still probably quicker.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I think his point was that the system more or less already exists with Fractals, therefore this would be a rather unnecessary addition.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

what i think about your idea is that anet have already spent two years giving us QoL and little baubles for our “hard work” beating ancient content and need to actually release more new content

which hopefully the expansion will provide

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Karisho.3058

My problem with dungeons is, that there is no reason anymore to run them except for gold. Why would it be unnecessary to add something like the special dropps in fractals to dungeons?

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

So, I’ve been playing Gw2 since the release, mostly PvE. My problem, and I think, it’s a problem, that a lot of PvE players have, is, that the dungeons became really boring. The only reason for me to run them, is the gold. I was thinking about some ways to change that. The first thing would be, to add new dungeons.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Very-disappointing-news-for-you-guys

:-(

What I was thinking about the most was to add something to the dungeons to make them attractive again. Just an item, that can only drop in this dungeon. It shouldn’t be something game changing that gives advantages over players, that don’t have the items. Rather should it be something collectible, something that adds a bit prestige. For example a miniature or a special skin.

How is this different from the token vendor system, other than one is a guaranteed reward for running the content, and the other is RNG?

BrooksP.4318

My problem with dungeons is, that there is no reason anymore to run them except for gold. Why would it be unnecessary to add something like the special dropps in fractals to dungeons?

It creates redundancy. The same issue you are running into now will only happen once you get all the “special drops”. So the whole reason to run dungeons is Storyline, Skins, and Gold, if you want “something more” then you move on to fractals. Which again is the same thing just with a scale and “special rewards”.

E: Now to create a middle ground. It wouldn’t be a terrible idea to take dungeon paths and add them into the fractal system.

(edited by BrooksP.4318)

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Fractals is what you are describing, and dungeons already have skins associated with each one. Granted the skins aren’t exclusive anymore due to PVP tracks, but still probably quicker.

Which reminds me and scares me at the same time: How much left until Anet implements a Fractal PvP Reward Track with a free skin at the end?

That would be beyond lame.

BrooksP.4318

Which reminds me and scares me at the same time: How much left until Anet implements a Fractal PvP Reward Track with a free skin at the end?

I didn’t like the change, I felt dungeons skins should have stayed unique, but admittedly liked it when getting Koda skins…

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I didn’t like the change, I felt dungeons skins should have stayed unique, but admittedly liked it when getting Koda skins…

It still holds the point true doesnt it? The only problem in getting Koda skins is that they made the absolutely most awful dungeon I have ever seen in MMOs. No joke, I literally fell asleep one time at the Butcher final path boss…..

The best course of action would be to rework the dungeon in to something more attractive. The lazy course of action is to give such skins “free” and easier to PvP reward tracks.

When I did my Koda armor (for skin) back then through doing HOTW, it may have been boring but I kinda felt reliefed and achieved when it was done.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’ve suggested this before.

Dungeon Specific loot would be excellent.

an Example of how I would do it:

Ascalon Catacombs Path 2
The Ghost Eater
Drops a unique back item called The Ghost Eater’s Hide.

You can choose the stats for this back item, and it can be upgraded to an ascended version.

This back item makes your character appear ghostly while being worn.
(similar to the effects of a Strawberry Ghost consumable)

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

The problem is the same you would have with fractals. A rare drop from dungeons wouldn’t be considered anything prestigious. It would just be another RNG drop item that has an infinitesimally small drop rate that people would just complain about getting. Maha is right, more new content is needed.

BrooksP.4318

To expand on ideas, I still don’t think just adding “special loot” solves anything in regards to making dungeons worth repeating.

However from a PVE/Content perspective, I would change the entire Dungeon/Fractal system. Regular dungeons would stay the same, dungeon paths would be created the same way as fractals are and both the “Fractal Dungeon Paths” and regular fractal paths would be merged into Dungeons.

I would then convert the fractal system into a RNG style dungeon. Where maps would be random, spawns, bosses, and events would be random within that map. It would then scale in difficulty and type of mobs.

Currently both Dungeons and Fractals are too static, regardless of what you do they will become repetitive and “useless” to run. Simply adding “special items” or trying to push out new dungeons doesn’t solve the static nature, and the cycle will continue.

When I first came back to GW2 I thought Fractals would be more of a autogen dungeon that levels, which doesn’t appear so. While not perfect it would create some diversity in dungeon running, instead of the current system.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I’ve suggested this before.

Dungeon Specific loot would be excellent.

an Example of how I would do it:

Ascalon Catacombs Path 2
The Ghost Eater
Drops a unique back item called The Ghost Eater’s Hide.

You can choose the stats for this back item, and it can be upgraded to an ascended version.

This back item makes your character appear ghostly while being worn.
(similar to the effects of a Strawberry Ghost consumable)

There is dungeon specific loot. But no one gives a crap about it, because a) it’s very rare b) it’s useless stats

Example: those rare crafting recipes

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

There is already enough dungeon specific stuff .. no need to add more things
to force people into it. If the loot / money / skins / tokens are not enough
then you are somebody like me who doesn’t really like dungeons, and i wonder
why you wanted to be forced to play content you don’t like.

Bad enough i maybe have to do them for those new legendarys.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

PHIW has began to flood this thread. God forbid for you to work on all parts of the game to get a legendary.

God forbid dungeons get dungeon-specific loot thats actually cool rather than kittenty crafting recipes for kittenty amulets!

Seriously. Go back to enjoying your Silverwastes challenging chestfarm/events will ye?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

PHIW has began to flood this thread. God forbid for you to work on all parts of the game to get a legendary.

God forbid dungeons get dungeon-specific loot thats actually cool rather than kittenty crafting recipes for kittenty amulets!

Seriously. Go back to enjoying your Silverwastes challenging chestfarm/events will ye?

Whatever PHIW is .. God forbid people play dungeon because the LIKE to play them.

No what if you were forced to loot 10.000 chests in SW for you Legendary ? Or that
all the “cool” loot is just in SW chests .. because everybody should be forced to play
the stuff he dislikes the most just to get something good ?

No go back to glitch through your walls and stack in corners.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

I’m over it. I’ve seen too many PR stunts in dungeon forums to ever trick myself into thinking there’s going to be any serious attention to dungeons. Actions speak loudest and there’s no action.

I’ll just be happy watching people figure out way to make the same boring content just that little less time consuming with new builds and setups in the expansion. That and whatever ‘raids’ will be, not going to be too fixated on that till there’s more info though. That’s all I am hopeful for atm.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Whatever PHIW is .. God forbid people play dungeon because the LIKE to play them.

No what if you were forced to loot 10.000 chests in SW for you Legendary ? Or that
all the “cool” loot is just in SW chests .. because everybody should be forced to play

Just wanted to point out that when I pug arah I see PHIW’s edging lupi into a wall for the one shot with WoR because they lack the knowledge to do the other parts of the fight or are possibly really lazy. Also strangely enough, I have seen PHIW’ers stacking in corners that are no longer the best idea since FGS got the nerf. I don’t quite understand it but I guess it’s just people stuck in a mould, even PHIW’s are susceptible to that.

Btw I’m happy to map even though I hate mapping to get my legendary. Why? Because it’s supposed to appeal to multiple aspects of the game.. To show that you put in effort. Also there’s SW only loot isnt there? like that beta portal and the bee thing that gives the cool aura. I’d like those but I don’t like doing SW.. I don’t really mind though.

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

5 Things that need to be done to make Dungeons more attractive:

1) Improve the Reward, there need to be alot more interesting this in the reward options for Dungeon Tokens, including more dungeon specific weapon/armro sets for ascended equipment to make GW2 again a bit more Alt Friendly. Minipets, Toys, Personal Instance Stuff ect. pp and there needs to be more interesting rewards for Dungeons, that people permanently want to get, because of it beign no kind of “one time needed/unlock” only rewards.
So there need to be also dungeon specific Materials that you need for all kinds of stuff like new craftign materials for cooking recipes, potions, and so on

2) Dungeosn need to get redesigned from scratch ,away from the silly Path Design Style and back to how Dungeons worked in GW1 as large multi floored dungeons, with the difference, that Dungeons should be here in GW2 for exploration persistant zones that are designed more like raid content.

3) Bring back the old GW1 Dungeons, they should still all exist and be exlorable in GW2 too.

4) Add more depth to Dungeosn by addign for all Dungeosn also a “Solo Mode”, where players are able in special instances to explore the Dungeons alone in a kind of “Zelda Dungeon Style” with riddles, traps, boss monsters, tresure chests to be found in hidden spots and so on and alot of interactive tools with that you interact actively in the dungeons with to solve those traps, riddles and find the thigns that you need to progress in those dungeons to get to the boss at the end that you need to fight solo in a challenging battle.

5) Add as another new feature “Dungeon Crawls” as another raid content type to the game, so that we find in the game also special dungeons that are instanced like how dungeons work currently but are everytime you enter them DIFFERENT and become more and more challenging so more you progress in them, but become also more rewarding so more you progress in them. basically Dungeons with a kind of Fractals Gameplay.

If ANet would do this, then the Dungeon part of this game woudl be again somwhat of attractive and alot better, that what we have now.

The only thing for what Dungeosn are good for currently is making only some quick gold and getting easy your first exotic armor set, but after that, and especially after you collected all skins, got perhaps even dungeon, if not already done via pvp, dungeons have after that basically 0 appeal at all.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

in brief:

1) Make Dungeons in general persistant multi floored Zones, this kind if 5 person design makes Dungeons quickly boring. Dungeons need Dynamic Events.
2) Improve significantly constantly the Dungeon Rewards and stop treatiing Dungeons as like some kind of unwanted Stepchild that is not worth it to be improved
3) Add Zelda like Solo-Dungeons to GW2
4) Add instanced Dungeon Crawlers to GW2 that are progressively more rewarding, like Fractals
5) Bring back all of the old GW1 Dungeons

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Only played dungeons for legendary crafting item i needed from the tokens
nothing but speed runners can’t really in joy the dungeons any more or learn them correctly it’s just run to boss 1 run to boss 2 more boring that a world boss zerg

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Just wanted to point out that when I pug arah I see PHIW’s edging lupi into a wall for the one shot with WoR because they lack the knowledge to do the other parts of the fight or are possibly really lazy. Also strangely enough, I have seen PHIW’ers stacking in corners that are no longer the best idea since FGS got the nerf. I don’t quite understand it but I guess it’s just people stuck in a mould, even PHIW’s are susceptible to that.

Btw I’m happy to map even though I hate mapping to get my legendary. Why? Because it’s supposed to appeal to multiple aspects of the game.. To show that you put in effort. Also there’s SW only loot isnt there? like that beta portal and the bee thing that gives the cool aura. I’d like those but I don’t like doing SW.. I don’t really mind though.

Funny story:

We have very few who can do that fight properly yet, so walled as usual. Had good eles and burnt through phase 2 before I could drop the wall of reflect. Had to do it normal way anyway. Was an awesome day.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

But a legendary isn’t your typical loot item. It should involve you doing a wide variety of aspects of the game. At least something from every aspect you can take the legendary to. So for the new legendaries it would be: Dungeons/Fractals, PvE – old, PvE – new, WvW, PvP. Do I would not hold it against ANet from having the new legendaries require playing in all of those areas. And I hate PvP. I would resign myself to not getting those legendaries or them taking forever because I hate PvP and would either never do it or rarely do it.

So if the new legendaries require me to open up SW chests for some RNG item, then so be it.

And he wasn’t asking for everything to be specific to dungeons, he just asked for something, so the “all the cool loot” example is hyperbole at best and not worth any more comments.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

It’s already there.

You get dungeon weapon and armor skins. And ascended accessory for collection.

Even if Anet add more, you’ll either complain after you finish or RNG is so bad and it’s so hard to get like fractal weapon.

How hard do you think those spectral weapon or miniature should be? 0.5% drop rate? Some people do dungeon everyday, they’ll be done in half a year and start complaining again.

Posted by: petespri.6548

petespri.6548

Get anet to invest in them.

But they wont because their metrics show that not enough people play them to make more.

Bit I bet more people would run them if they fixed stacking and Ai tactics.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

MMO’s extend the life of content via the use of rewards. GW2 took this aspect of MMO’s and ran with it, to an extreme. There have been some permanent and some temporary content+reward packages added to the game, but the launch content (world bosses and dungeons) is still expected to keep peoples’ interest despite being nearly three years old.

Adding new rewards to content so old would just be more of the same. The game is badly in need of new challenges, not new gewgaws to try to breathe life into the corpse of ancient content.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Whatever PHIW is ..

all the “cool” loot is just in SW chests ..

• Because grinding 10K chests is clearly equivalent to the mere 500 tokens you need to get in a dungeon that has 3 different explorable paths and 1 story path

PHIW perfectly describes your response. And I know I’m not alone in this.

Karisho.3058

Thanks a lot for the responses and for the ideas. I’m pretty sure, that Anet is thinking about a solution for the problem, but I also understand, that it’s really hard to find something, that makes everyone happy.
The idea with the dungeon specific loot was meant to be just a little improvement and not a solution for a long time, because, like a lot of you mentioned, after you got the item, the dungeon becomes boring and unattractive again. I should have mentioned that.
I’m really looking forward to HoT and some changes, that improve the PvE system.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Really when ascended gear was added to crafting they should of added a tab for ascended dungeon armor and weapons. The token count would have to be high so that way it was as close to equal as possible to the crafting option. In my mind dungeons are part of end game so it should have options for best in slot gear just like it did at the start of the game.

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

People who like dungeons like dungeons, and people who don’t, dont.

Bribing people who don’t like dungeons into slogging through them with new shinnies won’t solve anything. And people who like dungeons are just bored with the current ones.

What we need to make dungeons attractive is simply new dungeons. But that is a LOT of work, and people will get bored with those too, so I can kinda understand why A-net has just kind of threw their hands up at the whole thing.

I personally love dungeons (In RPGs in general) and was really disappointed with how few GW2 has. The last MMO I played had a LOT of dungeons, like 30 or so, but nearly all of them where unplayable just because they were set at level brackets. You’d outlevel a dungeon before you even had a chance to play it. GW2 has the perfect solution to that problem with it’s scaling mechanic, but then it barely has any dungeons to begin with.

Fractals is kind of an decent compromise in the right direction. As an idea, It’s basically designed as a dungeon you can replay without it becoming as repetitive as a set dungeon path. The problem with it then is that is the same amount of content as a normal dungeon’s 3-4 paths. Running fractals is just as repetitive as running any other dungeon. In order for me to be happy with fractals, It would seriously need a pool of around 100+ different fractals with at least 10 different boss fractals instead of a measly 3. Enough fractals so that it feels much more random and you never quite have the same run twice.

Adding more fractal levels to extend the agony resistance artificial gear treadmill isn’t going to help. Simply scaling damage to higher and higher numbers is a really boring way to add so-called “challenge.” If anything, they should dial the numbers back a bit at high fractal numbers, but add to the pool of available fractals with new sections and bosses that only appear at higher difficulties.

I realize that that would be asking for a lot, but that is what it would take for fractals to be fun and rewarding to me. The current loot rewards are fine for the most part, but I think drops like the fractal weapon skins should be added to the vendors, (Go ahead and charge like 2000 relics for them if you want, the things are basically useless once you’re swimming in rings) Again, dungeon runners just need new/more content.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Tacking a new shiny on the end of outdated content won’t make it less boring. Maybe it if it was a reward for a special gambit or challenge (kill all optional bosses, no defeated players, etc.), but honestly that would just be a bandaid for the fact that we haven’t had any new instanced 5-man content for nearly a year and a half. The fact that launch dungeons are boring is only an issue because they are still a mainstay of endgame pve in the absence of new content.

The answer is – surprise- new content, in the form of more frequent fractal updates and hopefully instanced raid-like challenges. I’d much prefer that then them spending development time propping up old content.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

I think dungeons having their own tracks would be nice. Getting to the end of said track gives like an exclusive back piece skin or something that is associated with the dungeon aesthetic.

Also, if GW2 took something that WoW does with dungeons by having random rare enemies show up that have a chance of dropping a particular collection item or something would also be nice.

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Tacking a new shiny on the end of outdated content won’t make it less boring. Maybe it if it was a reward for a special gambit or challenge (kill all optional bosses, no defeated players, etc.), but honestly that would just be a bandaid for the fact that we haven’t had any new instanced 5-man content for nearly a year and a half.

I actually think new stuff to spend dungeon tokens on would make a helluva difference. Maybe some dungeon themed back item skins and a chance for unique weapons to drop. Wouldn’t even need to be anything new. A straight-up recolour and some particle effects can go a long way.

The dungeon collection rewards a step in the right direction, but the trinkets should have offered a choice of the same stats of each dungeon’s gear.

Also, if GW2 took something that WoW does with dungeons by having random rare enemies show up that have a chance of dropping a particular collection item or something would also be nice.

This would be cool, especially if they randomly spawn like the AC troll, or wander the dungeon like the guild bounty champs.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

I actually think new stuff to spend dungeon tokens on would make a helluva difference.

they could tack on free legendaries at the end of a path and they’ll still be the same boring **** people have been doing the past 3 years.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Jahroots.6791

I actually think new stuff to spend dungeon tokens on would make a helluva difference.

they could tack on free legendaries at the end of a path and they’ll still be the same boring **** people have been doing the past 3 years.

Fundamentally, everything in PVE becomes stale after about a week. AI is limited and MMO game play just isn’t that engaging. The fun really comes from the social aspect and a sense of progression.

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

This would be cool, especially if they randomly spawn like the AC troll, or wander the dungeon like the guild bounty champs.

Yeah exactly! Then people will want to explore the dungeon and see if the rare spawned. Or they could make use for those empty rooms, or side areas that aren’t part of the main dungeon run that contains the rare spawn boss. All kinds of stuff they could do without having to create new assets to do it.

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

i no some good idea for a dungeon
its from a old rpg game wild arms

that you need to split in teams and solve the puzzle together to open doors
will be great in my few

Posted by: Boro.7359

Boro.7359

Reading this thread, and based on my experiences, these are what I think could help with dungeons:

1. Random spawned enemies are something I agree with, it makes things a lot less stale. It’s the mainstay mechanic of roguelikes, and makes each run unique. This randomization however, doesn’t help a bit if the enemies are the same (just with a different model) in regards to the tactics that need to be used. Enemies need to be unique and interesting. This leads to:
  2. Unique enemies, and enemy groups: Think of gw1, where every race/faction had an unique theme with it’s group builds. Examples below.
  3. Rewards scaling with kills, number of explored parts, etc, so while speedrunners can have advantage in one way (boss chests), doing a full clear should be more or less equivalent in other ways.
  4. Varied content: Escort, defend the NPC, Defend multiple NPCs, carry items, collect items, Last stand, CC the enemy couriers entire paths can be based on this kind of gameplay, even better they don’t need any champ/legendary bosses for this to work.

GW1 examples from the lower levels:

• Charr had Wild Blow and Shatter enchantment to punish stance/enchant users, focused on hexes and energy denial, but had little in the way of conditions, and no condi/hex removal.
  • Stone Summit was more balanced, had monks immune to knockdown with condi/hex removal, snares from both water elementalists and cripple, interrupts from carvers, and empathy + shatter from mesmers.
  • Krytan undead focused on conditions entirely: Poison rangers, cripple from grasping ghouls, deep wound from mesmers who also had hexes that dealt damage when a condition was applied to an enemy, blind+weaken+CA eles…

The list goes on. Giving groups a stronger identity that can potentially not only slow down but almost break even with players who don’t build specifically to counterplay it, without resorting to making it a hp punching bag, is what makes a game of skill. If the problem of players just switching builds to counter each group becomes too excessive, just make sure the pressure is kept up (players can’t break combat)

A few personal examples:

on the day I did tequatl for the first time, I volunteered after the shard emptied, and surprise, the big chicken was just finished with his morning cereals in the new map, and all ready to spread death and decay. I was the only living thing in the whole zone by the way. We rallied everyone on the map, and not even that was enough, we weren’t as much a zerg as a few people surviving as long as possible. That was a whole new experience and I enjoyed it.

Two days ago in CoE story, we failed to keep Zojja on her feet countless times in the golem room, our zerking, bad computers and our stacking left us vulnerable to whirling golems, magnetizer hard pulls, golem AoEs, and only after changing half the party, bringing interrupts, stability, reflects, and spreading out did we manage to pass that part. Our reward? 50s at the end of the story part, and one hell of a fight to remember. (but ofc people cried about the event being broken, that goes without saying)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Yes, please! I could finally finish Mawdrey without doing Fractals.

I know, I know. Not that hard to get the relics doing fractal daily and all that. Just haven’t got around to it yet, and if I could avoid it by doing some PvP, all the better. Not to mention another option for ascended jewelry.

Okay, got my asbestos undies on. Feel free to flame away.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You can add as many rewards as you like, but that isn’t the fundamental issue why so many pvers avoid dungeons.

It’s the culture and the exclusivity of the community that comes with it. And that is inherent with most MMO dungeons.

Whilst kicking and speed running and criticising people for having “the wrong build” are as prevalent as they are, dungeons will never be popular enough. It is an ongoing circle – players often discourage lesser skilled players from dungeon groups and thus the number of dungeon players becomes increasingly less overtime, leading to a vicious circle where dungeon development gets abandoned.

Dungeon specific items and more imaginative dungeons are fine ideas. They just aren’t enough to counter the wider issue.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

one thing i would like to see is a less rewarding yet open world difficulty dungeons, i can’t stand dungeons because it punishes ppl to quite an extent and don’t care about new players.

pro’s:

• path’s that have insta-kill enemies should have veteran enemies doing normal dmg.
  • elites should not even be as common.
  • the only highly difficult ones are elite bosses and a champion end boss.
  • they are not scaled from the get go but only scale depending on amount of players.

con’s:

• enemies don’t drop anything higher then rare.
  • after you complete the dungeon you can get no more then 40 tokens per run.
  • 1 gold in the chest and no more

i would like to play in dungeons but i don’t like them to be HM-only, the whole reason why they are dying is because they are way to exclusive to even like.

Jahroots.6791

Aw, c’mon. Everyone was new to dungeons at one point. They’re actually not that hard to learn if you put a little time and effort into it.

I also disagree that it’s the attitude among the dungeon community that keeps newbies out. PvP is infinitely worse and that doesn’t stop the numerous reward track and daily farmers. It all boils down to risk/reward.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Fundamentally, everything in PVE becomes stale after about a week. AI is limited and MMO game play just isn’t that engaging. The fun really comes from the social aspect and a sense of progression.

Saying dungeons like Arah or something get stale after a week. Yeah that isn’t some BS or anything. Where’s your proof to back up your claim? The way I see it, dungeons entered a declining state after being abandoned between about 1.5-2 years. Until then, the “QQ” was minimal. There will always be one minority who burns it once and never plays it again, but that’s what the majority of dungeoneers are like.

If that were to be the case, after 3 years dungeons would be dead and there would be no “meta lfgs”

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Yes, please! I could finally finish Mawdrey without doing Fractals.

I know, I know. Not that hard to get the relics doing fractal daily and all that. Just haven’t got around to it yet, and if I could avoid it by doing some PvP, all the better. Not to mention another option for ascended jewelry.

Okay, got my asbestos undies on. Feel free to flame away.

Your comment has got to be ironic. How do I know this? I read your forum signature and was instantly reminded of Anet resetting players’ fractal levels.

Jahroots.6791

My point still stands. I’m talking about the inherent entertainment value of the dungeon content itself.

Very few players would run Arah if the gold reward was on par with the other dungeons. Beyond that, remember the ‘would you do dungeons if they removed the gold reward’ thread? Yeah. Dungeons are kind of fun and all, but ultimately it’s all about the social aspect and progression. You’d be surprised how much rewards can influence our enjoyment of game content.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

So, I’ve been playing Gw2 since the release, mostly PvE. My problem, and I think, it’s a problem, that a lot of PvE players have, is, that the dungeons became really boring. The only reason for me to run them, is the gold. I was thinking about some ways to change that. The first thing would be, to add new dungeons. Now, the problem with that is, that they will also become boring after some time.

The problem with dungeons is they scrapped the multi-role group of GW1 (Minion Master, Tank, Heal, DPS, Protection, Interrupt, Debuffing, Battery, not all roles would be used in a group at all times, you might not have interruption, you might not have a tank, or a minion master, but they were all options for roles that were valuable in some places) for the singular role of GW2, DPS. All “support” options are done just as well in glass cannon dps gear and specs basically the only real “support” is stacking might and fury, dropping banners and conjured weapons, and pulling or punting mobs into a stack to whack down.

It’s very stale and boring.

What kills any attempts at having actual support builds or control builds as GW2 manifesto envisioned as a “soft trinity” is 2 things.

1. Mobs hit too hard and too slowly. Making it so that you can dodge almost everything, and if you don’t dodge, you just die. There’s no real value to healing or defensive boons, when people are good enough to dodge everything, or bad enough that they’re just getting one shot.
2. Defiance. Why bother with trying to interrupt mobs and coordinate your CC’s to line up to where they have no defiance stacks left and nobody uses a CC effect until you need to interrupt.. when it’s just easier to expect everyone to dodge the big hit instead of trying to interrupt it? Break bars are okay I guess but that’s a gimmicky way of implementing control role into the game.

To solve #1, mobs need to hit faster but for less damage, you shouldn’t expect to be able to dodge 100% of their attacks, only the most important telegraphed attacks. With more moderate damage over time that you can’t just avoid 100% of it, you’ll need to heal, and you’ll need defensive stats to mitigate damage to make it manageable.

To solve #2. First off, defiance sucks, yes it rewards really organized teamplay if everyone is on voip doing a cycle of CC effects and NOBODY uses a CC effect out of turn, but that level of coordination is something you should expect from raids, not normal PVE dungeons, not from PUGs, not from people not in voice communication with each other, and not for just 1-3g, that kind of effort people need something more to reward them for. So that needs fixed first and foremost, but secondly, there needs to be aoe effects that you just cannot dodge or block through, you need to interrupt them. I’ve always found it silly that a boss can lay out this huge aoe field, and people just do a little roll, while still inside the AOE, and be invincible to the damage. You should have to be outside of the effect to not get hit, not just getting invulnerability frames. This would also solve stacking if you can’t just dodge inside the aoe to avoid damage.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

An automatic dungeon tool would fix it. Just look what it did to SPvP. It made it more accessible.

Currently, it’s too much of a hassle to even join a dungeon, because people get discouraged when they read, “80s only, EXP ZERKERS”. Not only that, but people have to run to zones in order to zone in. It really suck for alts or new players in general.